Nicollet County Page
County Info
 History
Records
Queries and Surnames
Societies & Museums
Towns, Townships & Villages
Newspapers
Cemeteries & Obits
Churches
Libraries
Archives
Publications
Maps
Mailing List
Minnesota Links
Minnesota GenWeb



Nicollet County
Townships, Towns, and Villages

Nicollet County

Map of Townships

Belgrade Township

First settled in 1854, organized in 1858.

North Mankato, a village in Belgrade township on the Minnesota River, opposite the city of Mankato in Blue Earth County.

The History of North Mankato
 

Bernadotte Township

Settled in 1859, organized in 1869.

Brighton Township

Settled in 1855, organized in 1877.

Courtland Township

Organized in 1858 and originally called Hilo from its post office established in 1856, renamed Courtland in 1865. The village of Courtland was designated a railway station in 1872 and platted in 1882. 

Courtland History
(Thanks to Sheila Wingate for getting permission from the authors and transcribing this history.)

Granby Township

Settled in 1855, organized in 1858.

Lafayette Township

Settled in 1853 and organized in May 1858.

The railway village of Lafayette was platted in 1897.

Klossner, a railway village in Lafayette twp was platted in 1897 (named for Jacob Klossner, original owner of the property).

Lake Prairie Township

Settled in 1853, organized in 1858.

New Sweden Township

Organized in 1864, first settled in 1855-57 by Norwegians.

Nicollet Township

First settled in 1854, organized in 1858.

The railway village of Nicollet existed from 1857-1859 and then was incorporated in 1881.

Letter from Nicolett, Minn. 1888 (Transcribed by Connie McLaughlin)

Oshawa Township

First settled in 1852, organized in 1858.

Ridgely Township

Organized 1871, named for Fort Ridgely built in 1853-54 and used as a U.S. military post until 1867. Originally part of West Newton township.

St. Peter, county seat

First settled in 1853, platted 1854, incorporated as a borough in 1865 and a city in 1873.

Visit St. Peter
 

Traverse Township

Organized 1858, took the name of its village, platted in 1852 and called Traverse des Sioux, a place the Sioux used to cross the Minnesota River.

West Newton Township

Settled in 1856 and organized in 1858. Named partly for James Newton, one of the first settlers and also for the steamboat West Newton that brought the first soldiers from Fort Snelling to the site of Fort Ridgely.
 


Last updated 22 March 2006