In 1927 at the annual county meeting of the Federated Women’s Clubs held at Brewster, with the Graham Lakes Study Club as hostess, the present Civic Club was begun. The first officers were: Mrs. C.L. WARREN, wife of Dr. WARREN, president and Mrs. B.A. GIMMESTAD, wife of the school superintendent, secretary.
In 1932 the Girl Scouts were organized under Misses LIEN, NETTLAND, and HIGGINS. In 1933, with the aid of the businessmen and others, they constructed a tennis court. In 1942 they were sponsored by the Civic Club.
In 1946 the Civic Club decided to sponsor a library. The committee in charge were: Mesdames HALPERN, KRUSE, and WILCOX. The first library was at the home of Mr. P.M. CROSBIE. In 1950 it was moved to the Fire Hall where it is presently located (1958).
The Camp Fire Girls had an organization here in 1917. The girls camped at Lake Okabena. Misses ANDERSON and THOMPSON were chaperones.
This being the Centennial year it might be well to mention one of the many card clubs. The daughters of the Pioneers were meeting in 1938 and members were true to name.
BALL CLUBS – (early)
As early as 1878 Brewster had a ball club with 32 members, some inactive in sports, but wanting to support a team. The ball team of 1900 included VOAK, first base; MANUEL, second base; Joe KRUKEMEYER, short stop; HAGERMAN, left field; MCCONKEY, center field; NAEGELE, pitcher; Henry OLSON, third base; Carl NELSON, center field; Alex W---(the rest torn out of the paper), catcher; and V.C. ANDERSON, manager.
1910 – “Fortnightly Club” A Study Club and social affair organized by the
teachers and several ladies in town. Miss Ida MICHELSON (now
Mrs. Andrew OLSON, at present residing here) was a charter member.
1911 – The Embroidery Club, which needs no explanation.
1913 – The Gun Club, Vern ANDERSON, Pres.; A.L. WELLS, Sec.
1916 – Nobles Good Roads Association, charter members: F.D. MITCHELL;
A.C. MILLER; A.C. SEVERSON; N. KAUFMAN; J.L. MCCONKEY.
1917 – A meeting was held in the Barber shot to organize an “Odd Fellows
1908 – Modern Woodmen of America, only lodge.
An early lodge, but short lived was the Grand Army Post, 1875. Post Commander
Otto BREEAU. It boasted 23 members.
A golf course was made in Adolph BERRY’S pasture east of town. A.J. KANE and Ole RILEY laid out the course. In a tournament that year, Mrs. John EBERT and Hans NELSON were winners.
Chartered in 1920. Auxiliary in 1921. In 1921 began building the present hall.
First organization of businessmen, called Brewster Association. It went under various names as: Booster Club, Amusement Club and Commercial Club. In 1941 the name was changed to Civic and Commerce Association, and a new set of by-laws drawn up. This allowed more members, anyone interested in the welfare and progress of Brewster to join.
In 1934 A.L. WELLS was made Secretary of the Fair. This was the first time a fair secretary was not a Worthington resident.
BALL CLUBS – (later)
Fred BRIGHT, local barber, did much to keep baseball in the fore-front, both playing and managing teams. His barber shop proved a good place to discuss all the games, pro and con!
Clayton (Grimmy) GRIMSTAD was a crack pitcher in his day. He pitched for Brewster and many towns in the surrounding area. He was offered a league position but preferred to remain here. Ball clubs would make a complete volume in itself, suffice to say, it was one of the earliest activities, played where Tony EBERT’S station now is located. Games were also played on John MCCARVEL’S land and finally on the present diamond.
The Boy Scouts were sponsored by the Legion as early as 1928. I am not certain of the date of the first organization. We have an active group at the time of this writing.
The Gay 90’s is a Home Talent group organized in 1949. Their purpose was to bring entertainment, it was not a money making project. The group entertained for almost all Brewster organizations, and with the cooperation of the Brewster C and C, put on two fund raising campaigns for Helen MCNAB, Brewster’s armless girl, who had the courage to complete four years of college. About $1,500 was the total raised in the two drives. Helen is now the Assistant Recreational Director in Gillette Hospital, St. Paul, Minnesota.
The group played at all surrounding towns and at the Centennial Celebration at Okabena and Lakefield. They entertained, yearly, at the Veterans Hospital in Sioux Falls. They also had the privilege of entertaining for the Minnesota Farmers Union Convention at Willmar and St. Paul.
1918: Farmers Co-operative Shopping Association organized. R.J. MEIER
was the first manager.
All churches have their own organizations for men, women and children and
are very active in Brewster
Brewster boasts numerous project clubs, sewing clubs, bridge and 500 clubs,
a travel club, square dance club, the P.T.A., 4-H club, Farmers Union
Junior club, and we used to have a very active Owl’s club.