In 1876, Mr. LENZEN (sic) built a cheese factory 3 miles south of
Hersey. Mr. PHELPS of
In January 1877 milk was furnished by Fred and John MEYER, LENSONíS (sic) and Otto BERREAU.
Not too many years ago, parts of the old factory equipment could still be
In 1909 a Brewster Cement Works was begun. At one time five men were employed here. It was started by Jim MONTGOMERY, John MCCARVELíS barn was the factory building, made from their own blocks. The house on the Joseph SMITH farm and the tool shed at the town cemetery are also made from blocks from this factory. In 1921 the factory was sold. It was found to be too far from the track and shipping facilities were lacking.
In 1911, there was talk of a sugar beet factory, but it did not materialize.