Gary, Norman County, Minnesota
The eastern part of the county surrounding Gary was
settled in the later eighteen seventies and early eighties.
The actual Village of Gary was originated in the year 1886, following the
dramatic end of the race of the two railroads; namely, the Northern Pacific and
the Great Northern, to complete the railroad for operation from the south on
into the northern part of the state. The
Northern Pacific won the race. The
Great Northern worked north some two and one half miles east of Gary and the
grade and railroad bed are covered with willows and other growth or has been
leveled by landowners.
is located in the central part of Strand Township. G. L. Thorpe opened the first general merchandise store.
The post office was established in 1887.
Names associated with the founding of Gary are B. K. Strand, Gregor Moe,
Anton Larson, the Wermager brothers, Rishoff, Holmgren, Bethel, and Schulstad. Shortly thereafter came other early settlers whose names are
still prominent in the community, such as Halvor Lee, Louis Garden, and others.
The Gary Creamery Association, the oldest creamery this side of St.
Cloud, was established in 1896. Gary
was incorporated as a village in 1901.
of the Gary Town Council proceedings begin with 1901. The first fire fighting equipment was purchased in April of
1901 for $2,000. A town and fire
hall was built in 1901 with the low bid for construction of a two story building
in this early age the village and surrounding community became well known as a
ball playing town and some of the players still remembered are Rishoff, Holmgren,
Bethel, and Schulstad. The ball
playing interest was kept alive throughout the entire nineties and early nineteen
hundreds, and Gary gained wide-spread recognition in this sport.
indeed is the date of May 22, 1917, in the history of Gary and also the
surrounding community. On that
fateful day a fire destroyed some estimated 28 business places and 25 homes,
leaving only the grain elevators, the lumber yards, depot, and the livery barn.
Loss amounted to over $100,000. The
new fire engine was defective and a bucket brigade was used. No reference is
made to the fire in the village council minutes other than a mention that all
debris should be removed at one certain date, and that by order of the Village
Council all buildings should be of brick or block when replaced.
Excellent recovery was made after the fire, and the town was rebuilt in
the same year, although some businesses did not reestablish.
was during this period and in the early twenties that the village added to its
reputation as a baseball town, largely through the efforts of M. E. “Shorty”
Dekko, the Welly brothers, Shamshall, Ole Lee, Jr., and others.
This team took on all comers including fast traveling teams and were
successful in holding their own against such opposition.
Shortly thereafter such names as Bjerk, Brevik, Heiberg, Thronson,
Ellingson, and Thordal were added to the list of outstanding ball players.
this entire period the community prospered, good schools were established, and
early in the village’s history two banks were in operation.
Such names as Elleraas, Sundet, and Bagne are associated with these banks
that prospered and grew in the days of steady economy.
Business places kept a good trade and such names as Gust Eeg, Eid, and
Garden are associated with the earlier growth.
the Depression of the 1930’s, the two banks were unable to continue; the
community naturally suffered as did other business places, some of which
consolidated with others and continued operation.
The grain elevators were taken over entirely by the Cargill Company.
Eid and Garden discontinued as merchants and other changes were made.
In 1936 Gary celebrated its 50th anniversary.
the early forties, E. A. Narum began the egg buying and other operations in the
village. Following WW II a new bank
was established and such names as M.A. Bell and K. V. Flom are associated
therewith. Harold Natwick bought
the Cargill elevators and began his operation of the Gary Grain Company.
1936 the addition to the Gary High School was made possible a complete four year
high school course. In 1951 a very
fine addition was made in a most practical building program which has served as
a model for many new constructions in this part of the state.
Ray Garden and Manville Brevik were prominent in connection with this
this time the village and the surrounding countryside have maintained excellent
churches for worship and have been nobly supported by the people of the entire
community. The churches are largely