Otter Tail County Minnesota
Everts Twp & Battle Lake Village
From Trygg Historical Maps, Trygg Land Office, Ely, MN www.trygglandoffice.com/maps.html
b=bottom land, m=marsh, p=prairie, s=swamp
Township N, Range W
[Copied by Lory Brasel,email@example.com, from the book "History of Otter Tail County" Volume I - 1916 by John W. Mason]
The township of Everts (township 133, range 40) was created by the county commissioners on July 22, 1879, in response to a petition signed by George Gould and others. George Gould was evidently one of the leading citizens of the newly organized township, since the commissioners designated his house as the first voting place. With the selection of the township officers on the ninth of the following August, Everts began its official career as a political entity.
The petition brought before the commissioners was signed by nineteen of the legal voters of the township, to wit: George Gould, Andrew Glende, Erick Glende, Anthon Glende, Thorer Glende, August Nordenmalm, Ole A. Dahl, C. G. Gould, Andrew H. Rostad, Nels O. Inande, Ole Tweten, Alick Tweten, P. P. Jackson, Evan A. Glende, Joseph Norman, E. A. Everts, Rezin Everts, W. W. Gould and William Oaks. It is interesting to note that the petitioners gave the commissioners a choice of three names for the township, but that the board refused to consider any of them. The three names suggested were Silver Lake, Clinton and Sweet Home, but it is evident that none of them appealed to the fancy of the board, since they called it Everts on the same day they granted the petition.
Everts township comes very near being surrounded by water. No less than eleven lakes lie on or just within its boundary limits, to-wit: Otter Tail, Blanche, Annie Battle, Mollie Stark, Battle, Silver, Elbow, South Turtle, North Turtle, Lost and Middle. This leaves six sections wholly untouched by lakes and a few others with only a very small amount of water acreage.
The only villages in the township are Inglewood and Battle Lake, the latter being a thriving trading center before the Northern Pacific branch was built through it in the fore part of the eighties.
The present township officers are as follow: Supervisors, J. E. Wold, A. G. Myhre and Frank Anderson; clerk, Lawrence Rowe; treasurer, And Dahl: assessor, And Tweten; justices, O. S. Mickelson and A. Tweten; constables, J. H. Rostad and M. J. Askerooth.
The village of Battle Lake was platted October 31, 1881, for Torger O. and Bertie O. Holdt (his wife). It is located in sections 3 and 4, township 132, range 40, on the western end of West Battle Lake in Everts and Clitherall townships. On March 25, 1891, a number of citizens of the village petitioned the county commissioners for the privilege of incorporation. The following legal voters signed the petition: Martin Anderson, F. A. Everts, O. C. Olson, Orris Albertson, Fred Evander, D. R. Hill, J. A. Colehour, C. Crogan, L. P. Gellerman, Peter Olson, C. Deich, Ole Bondy, J. O. Tweten, E. F. Wimer, Lars Sorenson, W. H. Bullock, T. Olson, B. B. Warfield, Comfort Barns, Bronson Strain, L. J. Crooks, W. W. Crooks, Hans O. Larson, C. H. Pierce, Albert C. Jorgenson, E. K. Evenson, G. Evander, A. C. Hatch, A. S. Wimer, George Willie, Edward Hart, G. H. Wimer, E. W. Hinkston, Sywert Johnson, C. Retallick, H. G. Kerr, M. S. Jones
The petition represented that the territory asking to be incorporated included about four hundred and twenty acres, and that a census taken on March 20, 1891, showed that there were two hundred and thirty-one inhabitants in this territory. The commissioners granted the petition and ordered an election held on Tuesday, April 28, 1891, at the store of Orris Albertson. On the appointed day fifty votes were cast: thirty-six for incorporation, thirteen against, and one vote which was marked both yes and no.
The present village officers are as follow: President, A. C. Hatch; trustees, John Becker, Gust Ramberg and Frank Osterlund; clerk, E. J. Rudh; treasurer, G. H. Hopkins; assessor, Frank Willie; justices, Carl J. Teller and Gust Ramberg; constables, Thomas Noble and Cash Sherman. Inglewood was platted July 1, 1904, by Martin Aalberg for the following proprietors: John and Nora A. Knight, C. J. and Louise Montgomery, Jacob H. and Minnie Montgomery, W. H. and Nellie Harris, L. L. and Lizzie A. Benedict, W. L. and Bertha M. Northfoss, Theodore and Anna E. Northfoss, John and Rose Dower, Edwin and Pearl Wiswell, John W. and Bell F. Woods and George and Harriet L. Kobler. It is located in section 1 on the shores of Otter Tail lake.
Sand Beach Park was platted by Martin Aalberg for C. D. and Almeda A. Baker and recorded in the office of the register of deeds May 27, 1913. It is located in Everts township, section 5, township 133, range 40.
Population totals in state and federal census summaries.
|Everts||Battle Lake Village|
Places of birth for Everts Township in the 1905 state census.
The following names have been extracted from original land records (by John Nelson) and Mason's History (by Karen Terry). Aalberg , Martin ; Albertson , Josiah H , Orris ; Anderson , Frank , Martin ; Anundson , Ole ; Askerooth , MJ ; Baker , Almeda A , CD ; Barns , Comfort ; Becker , John ; Benedict , Lizzie A , LL ; Benson , Arthur W ; Berg , Ole H ; Bondy , Ole ; Brown , Lewis J , Nellie ; Bullock , WH ; Cochran , David H ; Colehour , JA ; Corbett , Michael L ; Corbitt , Michael S ; Crogan , C ; Crooks , LJ , WW ; Dahl , And , Ole A ; Deich , C ; Delafield , Edward ; Douglass , Andrew E ; Dower , John , Rose ; Earl , Jasper W ; Evander , Fred , G ; Evenson , Charles M , EK ; Everts , EA , Edmund A , FA , Harry S , Rezin ; Gellerman , LP ; Glende , Andrew , Anthon , Erick , Evan A , Even A , Thorer ; Gould , CG , George , Winfield W , WW ; Griese , C H ; Harris , Nellie , WH ; Hart , Edward ; Hatch , AC ; Hill , DR ; Hinkston , EW ; Holdt , Bertie O , Torger O ; Holmes , Joseph H ; Hopkins , GH ; Inande , Nels O ; Jackson , PP ; Johannesen , Laurits ; Johnson , Karen O , Sywert ; Jones , MS ; Jorgenson , Albert C ; Kerr , HG ; Knight , John , Nora A ; Kobler , George , Harriet L ; Larson , Carl , Hans O ; Leonard , Henry C ; Mickelson , OS ; Montgomery , CJ , Jacob H , Louise , Minnie ; Myhre , AG ; Naerum , Edward ; Noble , Thomas ; Nordenmalm , August ; Norman , Joseph ; Northfoss , Anna E , Bertha M , Theodore , WL ; Oaks , William ; Olson , OC , Peter , T ; Osterlund , Frank ; Pherson , Daniel ; Pierce , CH ; Pierz , Francis ; Ramberg , Gust ; Retallick , C ; Reynolds , George M ; Rostad , Andrew H , JH ; Rowe , Lawrence ; Rudh , EJ ; Sharman , Rhoda ; Sherman , Cash , Emma ; Sorenson , Lars ; Strain , Bronson ; Teller , Carl J ; Thorstenson , Hans ; Tweten , A , Alick , And , JO , Ole ; Vennerstrom , Ernest ; Vidnes , Johanes O , Ole O ; Warfield , BB ; Wennerstrom , Ole N ; Willie , Frank , George ; Wimer , AS , EF , GH ; Wiswell , Edwin , Pearl ; Wold , Ellen J , JE ; Woods , Bell F , John W