Ludwigshorst


Pictures by Jan and Jerry Savage 2001.


















Photos by Joyce Gardner 2005.










The lady with the key to the church in Ludwigshorst was only a few
steps away from the church, living just across the street from the
front door. The building for the church served duel purposes as it
was very long with the church on the right end and a house on the
opposite end. This lady told us this church was built in 1886.
After taking photos inside and out, Anetta visited with her for a
few minutes as she had met her before while guiding others from our
Pommern group.


































Extra information about Ludwigshorst from the Provincial Book of the
Duchy of Pommerania, by Dr. Henrich Berghaus, Part II - Volume VII
1874- Page 779

Ludwigshorst, settlement with prayer hall, part of the mother church
in Maldewin, 3 1/2 miles from the county seat Labes to the northwest
and 3/4 mile from Plathe toward the south. In a report dated April
25, 1821, the cavalry captain of Tewitz had the intention at
Maldewin, at the designated location in the sections of Helmesdorf
[Hermelsdorfs?] belonging to him, to create a settlement of 20
families and to grant the same the name of Ludwigshorst. This plan
soon came to fruition. In the month of September, 1822 there were 27
settlers with houses and 4 barns, and the acreage transferred to
them encompassed 220.75 Mg. (Morgan). The name selected for this new
place of settlement was approved by the ministerial receipt on
February 7, 1823, which was made public by the official paper of the
royal government at Stettin on March 8, 1823. In the course of the
43 years since its founding the settlement has expanded in three
locations, likewise the terrain transferred originally to the
settlement has expanded considerably. According to the tax records
of 1866 and the statistical tables of the county, in 1867.

The settlement of Ludwigshorst had 30 taxed dwellings and 27 tax-
free buildings, among them the schoolhouse, in which a larger room
was set up for holding religious services. The population consisted
of 237 souls in 42 families who kept livestock consisting of 13
horses, 44 cows and 77 sheep. The tract of land 351.25 Mg. listed,
of which 207.9 was cultivated, but was so sandy that the net produce
was estimated to be only 13 Sqr., which was almost half the average
of the county; the settlers have no garden land, grazing land was
only 27.26 Mg., with a net produce of 20 Sqr. per Mg., or 7 Sqr.
among the average hay production, with meadows 25.95 Mg., with no
woods; of which 318.15 Mg. were subject to real estate taxes, 6.16
Mg. were tax free school acreage; of non-productive parcels of land
there were 14.34 Mg., the farmsteads and building sites take up 12.6
Mg. The number of owners comes to 31 including the school office,
who have control of over 149 pieces of land. Real estate taxes
Thalers 12.14. 2 pfennig., building taxes Thalers 11. 2 Sgr., in
addition the hereditary lease ravine, to which we will come back later.

Ludwigshorst has special status as a real-estate tax district, but
makes up part of the estate district of Maldewin, because the
settlement is laid out on the land of the knightly estate, from
which it is separated by 3/4 mile to the northwest, and accordingly
is subject to the police authorities of the district government there.

(Translated from German by Dennis Anderson)



Ludwigshorst page 2