organized in 1869, Sherman included "all of congressional township
112, range 34, and so much of township 113, range 34, as lies south
of the Minnesota river." This description placed part of the
town across the river in Renville county, also the fractional part
of township 113, range 34, did not join the main portion of the
10, 1880, the boundaries were changed to include only that portion
of township 112, range 34, lying south of the river, while the
fractional part of township 113, range 34, was attached to Honner by
town meeting was held at the house of A. E. Kneipple in section 8,
October 4, 1869. The name was given in honor of Gen. William T.
Sherman, the present head of the United States army. The officers
for that year were: J. J. Light, chairman, A. E. McCarty and M. C.
Tower, supervisors; M. S. Hamblen, clerk; James Stephens, treasure;
J. M. Little, justice; J. F.
Deitzmann and O. C. Dwyer, constables. No assessor elected
until the following spring, when, O. W. Newton assumed the office.
Sioux Agency was established in the north part of the town in 1853,
under the charge of Thomas Cullen and continued in existence until
the outbreak in 1862. A number of government buildings were
erected and quite a village sprang up around them. To-day all that
can be seen of the buildings, is the old government store house, the
walls of which were left standing, but now re-enclosed and used as a
dwelling house, and the walls of the Episcopal church, begun by
Bishop Whipple, but never finished. The gable end containing the
arched doorway is still standing, the cone of the other end has
fallen, the side walls still appear in fair condition.
later settlers, J. J. Light was the first; he came in the spring of
1866. Claims were taken later, by James and John Arnold, Cassius
Frazier and George Cary.
death was that of Mrs. John Wall, in the spring of 1868. The first
marriage was that of M. S. Hamblen and Clara J. Bailey. The latter
taught the first school in the town in the summer of 1870, in an old
log building on section 8; there were eight scholars. There are now
two frame school-houses in the town.
Sioux Agency post-office was established about 1868 at the house of
James Arnold. The office has had several changes and is now in
charge of R. H. Warren at his house.