History of Bethania Lutheran Church of Greenbush, Minnesota
From an article written by Milt Sather:
Bethania Congregation, located 5 ˝ miles north-east of Greenbush in Section 13 of Barto Township, was organized in 1897 with Pastor J.L. Bestul as its first minister. Ole Sather offered the congregation one acre of land on which to build a church. The number of board feet needed to build the church was estimated and each member was to furnish his share. By 1901, the building was finished. The master builder was Ole thompson. Pastors serving after Bestule were: B.L. Sundal, A.K.M. Neppleberg, R.J. Huglen, John Pederson.
A short time after the resignation of Pastor John Pederson in 1930 and the coming of Rev. John Quanbeck, the Bethania congregation purchased the former Methodist church building in Greenbush. Quanbeck resigned in 1933 and was followed by Rev. Reinhart Pederson, Einar Olson, Joseph Nystuen.
In 1944, the old Bethania church (the original located in Barto Township) was sold to Charlie Thompson for $287.50 Louis Kjos bought the old stove for $15.00.
Following Pastor Nystuen’s resignation, Rev George Mellby served for a year. Late in 1950, Rev, Reinhart Pederson was called to serve for the second time. By 1973, Bethania had become part of the United Free Church.
After the Bethania congregation united with the United Free Parish, the Methodist/Bethania church building was used as an electrician's (Earl Pederson) storage and headquarters. Later it was torn down.
Note: Old Bethania records are housed at United Free Church
Submitted to Roseau County GenWeb by Eunice Korczak.
©2002 by Minnesota Historical Research Associates.