Beaton, Donald Alexander (aka Dan)
M: 29 Jul 1925, Thelma Lorraine, "Piggott", b. 24 Feb 1902. Married in the Church Manse in Cedar Springs.
FN: John McKenzie Beaton
MN: Julia Ann House Brown
Children of Donald Alexander Beaton and Thelma Lorraine:
Margaret Julia Mary Beaton
B: 22 Mar 1927
John Thomas Beaton
B: 15 Feb 1929, born on the form, lot 17, 6th line of Moore
Marie Elizabeth Beaton
B: 04 Apr 1931
Harold Donald Beaton
B: 01 Mar 1933
Gladys Lorraine Beaton
B: 12 Mar 1936
Donald Alexander bought the farm from his Father in 1925, to which he brought his new wife Thelma Lorraine, "Piggott", born February 24th, 1902. They were married in the Church Manse in Cedar Springs, July 29th, 1925. Dan, as Donald was called, and Thelma raised 5 children, Margaret Julia Mary, born March 22nd, 1927, and John Thomas, born February 15th 1929, born on the farm, lot 17, 6th line of Moore.
The great depression hit in 1929 causing a great hardship for those who were just starting out. Dan was losing everything so on March 28th, 1929 he had an auction sale of everything that would bring a dime and cleared what he could. Dan and family moved to Sarnia where Dan got a job at the Imperial Oil Ltd. April 10th, 1929 as a part time laborer at 50 cents per hour, loading and unloading trucks. He became a steady employee and stayed for 36 years.
In Sarnia, Thelma and Dan first rented on Confederation St. where Marie Elizabeth was born April 4th, 1931. They then rented 242 Conrad St. where Harold Donald was born, March 1st, 1933.
In 1935 Dan and Thelma bought a home at 130 Martin St., here they had their 5th child, Gladys Lorraine, born March 12th, 1936.
During 1953 and 1954 Dan built a new home at 328 Ross Ave. Sarnia and on Sept 7th and 8th, 1954 they moved from 130 Martin St. to the home of their dreams. Here they stayed the rest of their years.
By Harold Beaton, January 25th 2000