THE CUDMORE FAMILY
Everard Cudmore was born in Toronto, in 1860. His father, John, came from England when in his early 20's, and settled in a small town, Don Mills, Ontario. He married Elizabeth Brown and had a family of 6; 5 boys and a girl, the oldest child being Everard. The family operated a market garden on property close to Toronto. On that spot today are many high-rise buildings.
In April, 1883, Everard, 2 cousins, and a friend heeded the call to "Go West," coming by rail to Moose Jaw. They looked over available land at the Land Titles Office, hired a team and rig, drove west about 20 miles to a big slough later known as Westview Slough, and there Everard and Wm. Brown took out a homestead, but the other 2 returned East. Cudmore settled on NW 14-18-28, proved up the homestead and took out a pre-emption. They lived in a tent until they built a sod shack. When money got more plentiful, they built a frame house and used the sod shack as a milk house. In those days there were no cream separators; they put the milk in pans, let the cream rise to the top and skimmed it off. Presto! They had thick rich cream.
In a few years Everard went East for his bride, Alice Turner (1862), who came from England with her parents when 3 months old.
Cudmore, with a wagon and team, hauled steel and ties to build the C.P.R. main line west of Brandon to earn money for family needs until he could clear enough land to grow sufficient crop to support his family of 12 - a number not uncommon in those days where so many children died. Only 3 of these children lived to marry. Two died in infancy; 2 were killed by horses; and 4, aged 5, 7, 9, and 17, died within a week in the spring of 1912 from spinal meningitis which the Doctor said was an after - effect of the measles. William Henry was killed in WWI in Sept. 1918. Edward Richard, although wounded, returned from WWI and he, Harriet Amelia (Amy), and Alice May were the sole survivors of 12 children.
Edward Richard farmed for a time, then became a letter carrier, graduating to Post Office worker and retiring in Moose Jaw. He married Catherine Carmichael in 1921. They had 4 girls and a boy. One girl died and the other 3 live in Moose Jaw. The son lives in Saskatoon.
Amy married Wilbur Perkin in 1909, and farmed in Westview district until 1927 when they moved to Ont. Amy died in 1980 and Wilbur in 1976. They had 3 boys and 9 girls - all deceased except one boy.
Alice May married Alfred Maynard in 1917, and had one son, Alfred William. The father died in 1938 and Mrs. Maynard is in Moose Jaw Pioneer Lodge.
In 1892, Westview S.D. #256 was formed. Mr. Cudmore was trustee and tax collector. In early 1900, their home was used for church services (held by a Baptist Minister from Moose Jaw), and as a Post Office until 1918 (mail being hauled by horses first from Moose Jaw and later from Caron). In 1905, the Free Methodists built a church on property adjoining Westview School and in 1918 the Post Office was moved to Archydal. In 1911, telephones were installed, and in 1948 electricity was introduced to the rural areas. What a change from the sod shack of 1883!
From Buffalo Trails to Blacktop: A History of the R.M. of Caron #162 (Caron: The Caron History Book Committee, 1982), pp. 174-175.