The town of Orleans is situated on the Soo Line in KittsonCounty. Orleans dates from the building of the road through the countryin 1904 and while it was not destined to be more than a village, it has,however, since its beginning, been an important trading center.
It has served much of the northeastern portion of the county. Orleans is where Anderson and Matthew erected a building and started ageneral merchandise and machine business in 1905, subsequently selling outto George Harrington. The building of general stock burned down about sixty-nineyears ago. J. D. Gardner, the present able merchant of Orleans, now occupiesthe store building formerly located at the Visly Post Office. This buildingwas constructed by Mr. Mcilum of Hallock many years ago and his generalstore served as a great settlement in the section.
Now, the post office is still going but the store closeddown about three years ago.