Kennedy is located between hallock and Donaldson, alongHighway 75.
The history of Kennedy dates back to 1878 when the St.Paul and Pacific Railway constructed its St. Vincent extension.
The development of Kennedy and its surrounding area hasalways been closely associated with farming and its related businesses.
Kennedy's history is merged with the rugged period of bonanzafarming. In 1897, when the St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Manitoba railroadwas built through Kittson County, Dennis Ryan and his brother, Peter, becameinterested in bonanza farming. The enterprise was first known as the Donaldson-Ryanfarm because Capt. Hugh W. Donaldson, a former Civil War officer was managerof the bonanza project. It later became the Kennedy Land and Town Co., locatedon the present site of the Peterson-Hartz Store. The farms, four of them,totalled 65,000 acres.
Kennedy got its name in honor of John Swart Kennedy, anative of Scotland who came to America in 1856. He was noted as a generousdonor to many charities, educational and religious works. It was becauseof his connection with the James J. Hill's interests that he was so honored.
The Kennedy town site plat was filed December 31, 1880but was not incorporated until June 15, 1899. The first village officerswere: M. A. Goar, Chr.; E. A. Johnson, Clerk; Carl H. Nyberg, Treas.; HogenSmith, E. M. Engelbert and Owen Ryan as Trustees; and M. A. Goar was alsoMayor.
Source: Visitors Guide to Kittson County, Published May19, 1999 by the Kittson County Enterprise based on information compiledfrom Kittson County History Book.