St. Vincent, Minnesota
St. Vincent is the oldest city in Kittson County from thestandpoint of settlement. It is located northwest of Humboldt, Minnesotanear Pembina, North Dakota, but on the Minnesota side of the Red River.All that remains of the once lovely little village is the post office. Thoughthe business places have disappeared there are many lovely homes in thishistoric little town.
The history dates back as far as 1857, when Minnesota wasstill a territory. A trading post on the village site had been named St.Vincent in honor of St. Vincent de Paul, founder of missions and hospitalsin France.
As early as 1800, Fur Company XYZ started a trading postand before that, Peter Grant had maintained headquarters there as a furtrader.
The little village at one time included several hotels,saloons, stores, full school, two cafes, jail, town hall, two gas stations,a grocery and dry goods store, machine and parts shop, firehall, blacksmithshop, five churches and post office.
Source: Visitors Guide to Kittson County, Published May19, 1999 by the Kittson County Enterprise based on information compiledfrom Kittson County History Book.
A Few Essays Relating to St. Vincent
(See main page for complete index of essays)
Round HouseOf St. Vincent - by Bobbi Jo Schulte
St.Vincent Firehall - by Richard Clow
St.Ann's Church of St. Vincent - by Louis Jerome
St. Vincent- by Barbara Bostrom
St. Vincent- by Craig Olson
St.Vincent - by Ronny Pede
St.Vincent - From Lively Village to near Ghost Town - by Carrie Nordstrom
St.Vincent Post Office - by Chris Cote
SteamboatsOn The Red - by Donna Easter
SteamersOn The "Big Red" - by Alan Anderson
SteamersOn The Red River - by Kathy Jerome
TheSt. Vincent School - by Lori Webster
TheFall of St. Vincent - by Faye Turner
TheHistory of Kittson County - by Mrs. Ruth Easton, Mr. N. O. Folland, Mrs.Lillian Lapp, Mrs. Mary McFarland, and Mrs. Martha Roberts
TheOld North Star Church - by Keith Webster