Search billions of records on

Loer, Simon
M: Unknown


Children of Simon Loer and Unknown:

Jacob Loer
B: 16 Jul 1879, Ostfreesland, Germany
D: 27 Mar 1968
M: 03 Sep 1904, in Germany, Anna Werthmann, b. 22 Jan 1879, Westfalen, Germany. Anna d. 05 Nov 1963

Children of Jacob Loer and Anna Werthmann:

Walter Loer
B: 19 Feb 1905, Germany
D: 13 Mar 1996, United Hospital, Grand Forks, ND
M: 14 Feb 1943, Irene Dawe, Fort Riley, Kansas

Children of Walter Loer and Irene Dawe:

David Loer
M: Judith

Alfred Loer
B: 08 Mar 1913, Chapin, Iowa
D: 02 Oct 2000, Kittson Memorial Healthcare Center, Hallock, MN
M: 14 Jun 1942, Clara Hoyum b. 11 Jul 1913, dau of John Hoyum and Anna Aase d. 04 May 04, age 90

Herman Loer
B: 19 Aug 1915, Humboldt, MN
D: 27 Jun 2004, Kittson Memorial Healthcare Center, Hallock, MN
M: Annamae Stimpson d. Mar 1989

Frieda (or Alfrieda) Loer
M: John Hamming or Unknown Yearout

Alma Loer
M: Elmer Schwenzfeier

Emma May Loer
M: Unknown Stern

Clara Loer
B: 02 Apr 1920
D: 08 Jul 2009
M: Marvin Laude, d. 31 May 1996

Children of Marvin Laude and Clara Loer:

Bob Laude,
M: Jeanne

Grace Loer
M: John Hughes

Lydia Loer
M: Unknown Owen

Margaret Loer
M: Unknown Holt


05 May 04 - Prof. Michael Rustad wrote - -

Our dear neighbor Clara Loer passed away yesterday in Boone, North Carolina. After Alfred's death, Roger's son took over the farm and lives in their farm house across the road from our farm house. Clara has been living with her daughter, Carolyn, for the past two years. Although she was 90, she had been doing well and her death yesterday afternoon was unexpected. My memories of Clara are inextricably tied to my family's move to the country at age 7 in 1957. We had lived in the old Harvey Diamond home right across from their new house in town from the time of my birth until we moved to the farm. We switched homes with Grandpa and Grandma Rustad. I personally opposed this move because it meant that we would not be able to roam all day and night in town with the Giffens, Lofbergs, Diamonds, and many other families who had the good fortune to live in town.

When we moved to the farm, we were able to find new playmates, Carolyn and Diane Loer.

Hazel Lofberg dubbed Tony and I the sidewalk farmers because we bicycled to town every chance we could get.

The farm became a happy, carefree place for us thanks to Clara and Alfred Loer. We were always welcome to come over and have nectar and bars or lunch. We played endless hours with the Loer crochet set. The girls always beat us.  We also played around the house. We formed a club called the LARK club. (Loer and Rustad klub). Our motto was: "We do good deeds." Clara was very good with young people and provided us with a great deal of guidance. We had long talks with her about every social problem and personal problem that young people face.

I would like to take a few moments and acknowledge the contribution of Clara Loer to my personal development and to the development of the sense of community we all experienced growing up in N.W. Minnesota.  We were raised Catholics and I learned all about Billy Graham even listening to some of his broadcasts at the Loer home. It was considered quite subversive in those days to entertain alternative religious ideologies.  However, etched in my memory after all of these years are the fond memories I have of Clara and her family. My thoughts go out to the Loer family.

16 Oct 04 - Prof. Michael Rustad wrote - -

Memories of Carolyn and her Family

By Michael L. Rustad

It seems as if I've always known Carolyn. My memories of Carolyn are still keen decades later. I think that the Loer family in general had a positive formative influence on my life. Carolyn and I grew up on adjacent farms in Humboldt, Minnesota located in the Northwest corner of Minnesota. Our respective farms were in close proximity only about a mile and a half from the village of Humboldt. I have few memories of Diane and Carolyn Loer before I moved to the farm. When Carolyn was three or four, she ran away from her Mother and her Mother found her conversing with my Grandmother who lived across the road. Another memory I have is when Diane was riding on the lap of her Dad and fell off and fortunately was not injured. However, I really do not remember the girls very well until we moved to the farm and my Grandparents moved to Humboldt. 

Our family lived in town for my first seven years. It was a wonderful experience living in town with all those Hunt, Boatz, Giffen, Brown, Lofberg, Tri and Baldwin kids. Joyce Baldwin would let us watch television in shifts in 1955 when they had the first TV set in town. Every summer evening there were hordes of kids having great fun. We had Selmer Locken's restaurant in the old Bank building, Mayme's store, and a very active little town. My life changed dramatically when my grandparents (Rustad side) moved into town and we were sent to the farm in 1957. At the time of our move to the farm in 1957, there were only three Rustad kids: Mike (7), Tony (5), and Jamie (2). Janine was born a year later in November of 1958. It was a huge shock for us to be on a farm away from our friends. There were good features to be certain. We had a large number of animals: chickens, cows, kittens, and my faithful dog Rex. Tony and I felt that it was an extremely bad decision for our family to move to the farm apart from all of the fun at town. To be frank, it was quite lonely for us those first months on the farm. In contrast, every summer night, we played until dark. When we moved to the farm, we were assigned chores. We no longer had a horde of kids to play games like kick-the-can, war, and Captain May I? There were no more impromptu baseball games or rubber gun games. We frankly cried and moaned about being exiled to the farm in the beginning. The move was precipitated by my Grandfather's retirement from active farming. Dad was to take over the farm. It turned out that Grandpa Rustad never really retired. He rarely missed a day on the farm. To me the farm was dreary and Humboldt was like Paris, a place of great excitement, bright lights: stores, cafes, and most importantly, kids.

To make matters even worse, my dog died right after the move to the farm. Rex actually was my grandparents' dog who became our dog when we moved to the farm. Tony and I were still in mourning for my dog when we wandered over to the Loer farm that was directly across the road from our farm. We were lonely out there on the farm and were in search of some playmates. Frankly, we were extremely disappointed to learn that there were no boys, only two girls, Diane and Carolyn. It did not take us long to become close friends with the Loer girls.   

It did not help our transition to the farm when we heard my Mother's constant complaints about farm life. The lilac bushes had to be cut down because of her allergies. The dog and cats were forbidden entry into the house. Pat Rustad kept a spotless house and that was her mission in life. Mom did not care much for the farm. I heard Grandpa Rustad called her the worst farm wife in Minnesota.  He also acknowledged her to be a great homemaker and one of the best bakers!  In truth, it was incredibly difficult for a Hallock city girl to live in the rather primitive conditions on the farm.  As Dotty Boatz reminds me, Humboldt was a primitive place in the 1950s. The town of Humboldt never had paved roads or modern amenities. If Humboldt was primordial, the farm was as primitive as a third world country. It is true that we were self-sufficient. We grew and prepared everything we ate. Fast food was not to be found on the farm unless it was a chicken avoiding the chopping block.

We did have indoor plumbing installed on the farm until a few years before the move. Even though we had plumbing, we had to haul water in by the tank. We did not have a central water supply and had to watch our use of the water. Tony and I were required to use the outhouse. It was a frightening experience. We imagined that rodents etc. in the dank little outhouse would bite us. I remember a lot of complaining in those first few weeks on the farm. There was a dark cloud over the Rustad homestead. 

Life was about to change because of our good fortune to be across the farm from the Loer family.  Clara Loer was an accomplished baker and always made us nectar from a Watkins special formula. The Watkins man would go from farm to farm selling wares such as special spices, soaps, and best of all nectar. Clara always had a pitcher of nectar and it was always chilled at the perfect temperature. The Loer girls soon become our very best friends. We would frequently go on bicycle trips to the Marion and Harris Easton farm. Marion Easton was a very refined woman originally from Manitoba and was a registered nurse. Marion would always greet us quite formally and stop what she was doing to prepare us a full tea. Marion was also a good baker and we frequently enjoyed bars and other homemade goodies. We would then retire to the living room and read Classic Comic Books.   I believe that we all learned our love of reading from the example and encouragement of Marian Easton. We spent many happy afternoon sipping nectar, eating bars, and devouring classic comic books. Later, we read real books! One of my favorite classic comics was Lorna Doone. I can still remember the distinctive cover. Another favorite was the Count of Monte Cristo.  The Loer girls, Tony, and I were inseparable friends for those endless summers. We would all help Marian out with odd jobs, but she never asked. I think we learned some valuable lessons of the importance of good conversation with Marian. She had the knack of communicating with us and we always were welcomed with open arms. (I would frequently do odd jobs for Marion's husband Harris. When I turned 13, I worked as Harris' hired man. My pay was $3 a day and wonderful meals prepared by Marion). However, my most vivid memory of Carolyn was sitting in Marian and Harris' living room engrossed in a book. Her personality and character was to be social and interested in others. I cannot remember her getting irritated with us. I always remember her with a warm smile.

Diane and Carolyn were wonderful playmates. The Loers had a crochet set and this proved to be one of our favorite games. I must confess that I never once won a game of around the house against those Loer girls. The same is true about Captain May I.   I think Carolyn had eyes behind her back because she could play around the house like a champion. We played for hours in a little playhouse Alfred built. One of our other favorite activities was to play with the new kittens, piglets, calves or other baby farm animals. I can never remember being turned away from the Loer house. We could show up at any hour and be welcomed into their home for a meal, a glass of nectar, or bars.

The neighborly bond between the Rustads and Loers was very strong.  My Dad and Grandpa would frequently help Alfred and Herman Loer and vice versa. The Loer girls and Rustad boys would always tag along or be close by when the adults were doing the hard work of threshing or shearing sheep. We were intelligent children because one of the traditions of shearing or threshing was to have tables that literally groaned with goodies. Clara Loer was an excellent cook and enjoyed having us as guests or at least she was an Academy award-winning actor in her inviting manner. The Loers began every meal with prayer. I guess this was the first Protestant family that I got to know up close. Clara and Alfred did not push religious doctrine nor try to convert us. Every member of the family had a sincere religiosity. I think that they were Christian in deed, not in words. At the same time, they respected our Catholic beliefs. 

It is difficult to turn your mind's eye back to a period when there was a gulf between Catholics and Protestants. I think that Alfred, Clara, and the girls attempted to bridge that gulf. They were true Christians in act and deed. They gave to the missions though I am certain that it was quite a hardship given their meager cash flow. We frequently listened to talks by Billy Graham, who was Alfred and Clara's favorite evangelist.   

One memory I have concerns the Catholic doctrine of abstaining from meat on Fridays. Clara packed wonderful roast beef sandwiches, pickles, potato salad and other goodies for us to eat at the Kittson County Fair. The Loers brought the Rustad kids to the Fair. I did not remember that it was a Friday until I was nearly finished with my second roast-beef sandwich and how delicious it was. I remember the nausea I felt instantly when I realized I had committed the sin of breaching the Catholic covenant of "no meat on Friday" rule. I asked Clara for a napkin and deposited the rest of the sandwich in it for disposal. I had considered regurgitation but wisely chose the better course. My rude action of tossing out a perfectly good piece of homemade bread was never criticized by either Alfred or Clara. There was no word of reproach even though today I would think that I probably should have finished that sandwich. I remember this little story because it reflects the genuine pluralism of the family.

Another memory I have is when Tony and I joined forces with the Loer girls to form a club. Around 1960, we formed a social club, called the LARK Klub. LARK was short for Loer and Rustad Club. Our Motto was: Do Good Deeds. My memory was that we did only one good deed and that was to send flowers to the Loer's cousin who was hospitalized in a car accident. I guess Alice Loer was the only beneficiary of our generous acts. 

We spent countless hours at Alfred and Clara Loer's home. Alfred was a very joyful person who knew the value of hard work. We would frequently have afternoon lunch with the Loer girls. Alfred would often join us after cleaning up at the washbasin in the entryway. We knew every nook and cranny of the Loer house and we played for hours and hours.   .

Carolyn and I were able to meet once again in February of 2004. Carolyn, son Daniel, and Mary met me for dinner in Orlando. My daughter Erica (20) and mother-in-law enjoyed meeting Mary and Carolyn. We had a joyful memory rekindling our memories. It was a great deal of effort for us to meet. Carolyn and son flew in from Carolina. The girls met us in Orlando driving up to Miami. It was a joyous meeting with none of the awkwardness one might expect after not meeting for decades. Although I have a heavy heart after learning of Carolyn's death, I do have the satisfaction of having had a reunion with Carolyn and Mary. I am currently a law professor and live with my family in Vermont. Although my life is very different from farm life in N.W. Minnesota, my fundamental values are the same. I am very grateful for the values that I learned from the Loers and what I learned is part of my basic character and personality. Carolyn reflected the very highest values of N.W. Minnesota.

Michael L. Rustad