Search billions of records on

Love, William Henry "Will"
B: 29 Dec 1880, Charlottetown, PEI
C: 22 Dec 1882, Charlottetown, PEI. He was baptized by Rev. K. MacLennan, at the same time as his brother Vernon, at St. James Church.
D: Abt 1916.

FN: Samuel Lowe
MN: Mary Ellen Stramberg

Constable, RNWMP. His regimental number with the Royal NorthWest Mounted Police was 3524. He served at Onion Lake, Battleford, Lesser Slave Lake, and Edmonton. He signed up for a five year term on 23 Mar 1900, in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, and took his discharge, time expired, on 22 Mar 1905, at Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta.

See William Henry Lowe's NWMP Records


About 1906, an ex-North West Mounted Policeman, William Henry Lowe, became the trader in charge of the Revillon Freres at Lake Saskatoon, Alberta. This young Prince Edward Island born man soon fell in love with the beautiful Peace River countryside and obtained a homestead south of the lake. As agent at the trading post, he did not have time to work his land so sometimes hired it done. One person who recalled having done so was Jim Crerar, who turned over 85 acres for Lowe with three horses and a walking plow.

William did have time to help put up hay for his little herd of cattle, though, for pioneer Bill Grant recorded in his diary that William Lowe had been one of a group who had hayed on the meadows at the west end of Bear Lake during the 1906 to 1911 years.

Other Lake Saskatoon settlers recalled Billy Lowe as an active sportsman, playing on the local ball team in the summer and taking a leading part in winter hockey games as goalee.

For ten years he resided on the Grande Prairie, and then in September, 1916, the following news of him appeared in the Grande Prairie Herald: "William Lowe of Lake Saskatoon, who left last April with the intention of returning in time for the Frontier Exhibition in July, has mysteriously disappeared and despite every effort put forth by the mounted police and friends of the missing man, no definite idea has yet been gained to his possible whereabouts.

It has been ascertained, however, that Lowe spent several days in Edmonton after leaving Grande Prairie, and it has been repeatedly stated by a number of local men that they saw and talked with him in the capital city just previous to his disappearance. The police state that Lowe left a sum of money for safe keeping at an Edmonton hotel and it is also claimed, though not confirmed, that in Calgary there is money which he left with a friend pending his return from Banff, supposedly.

Whether Mr. Lowe actually visited Banff is doubtful, the police claiming that they can find no trace of him there. At one time it was rumoured that a person answering to Lowe's description had been seen in Montana but this report has not been verified. The authorities state that possibly Lowe had been murdered or some sort of foul play has been the occasion for his sudden disappearance," the Herald concluded.

Apparently little more was discovered about this pioneer. One other story said he disappeared while trying to enlist in Edmonton. Another said he possibly did enlist under an assumed name and was killed during the war. Still another suggested he was fair game for an angry bootlegger's bullet, since he had at one time donned his ex-policeman's uniform and confiscated moonshine as a prank. The mystery remains unsolved over 60 years later. After the war, his brother Sam came to the Peace River country and settled on William's land. Sam had been badly wounded in World War I and he and his wife, Kate, hoped the good fresh air and farm life would improve his health. They lived in the Lake Saskatoon district for about 16 years, raising a family of five children. The first-born was named William." He never married.