Michael Rustad's Memories

Ten Year History

Humboldt, St.Vincent High School

1967 Whip

 

Change and progress have accented the ten years that theHumboldt-St. Vincent High School has been in opration (September 1956 toSeptember 1966).

The 1956 school term opened with an enrollment of 188 studentsin grades 7-12 and 140 in grades 1-6, a staff of nine secondary and sixelementary teachers, three cooks, two custodians, five bus drivers and asecretary. Of the original staff, Minnie Hylland (grade 5), Martha Roberts(secondary), Herman Loer, Joe Giffen (bus drivers); Hazel Lofberg (cook)are still on duty. Virgil Bockwtiz and Arnold Wiese have served for 10years on the Board of Education.

The superintendent and principal were not confronted withany traditions for everything was being done for the first time. The St.Vincent High School had been discontinued in 1938 and the Humboldt HighSchool in 1940. The original plan provided for 3 grade rooms in each building(St. Vincent and Humboldt) with two grades to a room. In 1960, howevergrades 1, 5, and 6 were moved into the Humboldt building and grades 2, 3,and 4 over to St. Vincent. The Kindergarten, which was begun on a six-weekbasis in the spring of 1964, is also housed in St. Vincent.

Since Federal Aid in Public Law 874 was available to District352 in 1966, the kindergarten program has been expanded to a nine monthterm. This Federal Aid also provided two certified elementary aides andone certified secondary aide. A clerical aide was added to the staff inSeptember of 1966.

The tenth secondary instructor was added to the facultyin 1961, and since 1963, a counselor has been shared with Hallock.

The music department had its origin prior to 1956. Theband, choir and ensembles have been continued during the regular yeaer withseveral summer programs. Beginning with 1957, a twirling group was developedbut at the present time only the majorette is being retained. The followingsoloists have competed at the State-Regional Festivals: Vocalists CleoWang, 1958 and Cynthia Baldwin, 1965; Pianists: Margie Ryan 1963, 1966and Linda Stewart, 1966. Flutist: Mary Bernath 1966.

The Whip with Elizabet Isely as editor and the Border Scoop,with Joann Franks as founding editors were founded in 1956. Both publicationshave served the school since their inception. Speech work was introducedin 1956 and two students advanced to the Regional competition: KennethWiese and Willlis Roberts. During the ten-year peior the regional contestantsincluded John Brown and Helen Gatheridge (1959); Reginald Hemmes (1960);Cheryl Ingeman and Robert Olson (1961); Susan Finney, Jackie Wise and MichaelRustad (1965); Bradley Hemmes and Marlys Diamond 1966. Three students: John Isely (1963), Sharon Short (1965) and Michael Rustad (1967) were StateDiscussion Contestants. In 1958, Peggy Feick was thate state alternatein the Centennial Declamation Contest held at Crookston. The Speech Teamwon seven sub-district wins and this ten-year period was climaxed by winningthe District Speech Trophy in 1966.

The one-act play was introduced on the contest level in1958. Since then there have been four sub-district wins. Debate was initiatedin 1965 with considerable success.

Although the sports program did not emerge until the 1957-58season, the basketball team has played full schedules every since. Duringthe 1963-63 season, the Huskies placed fourth in the District. Eight manfootball had an undefeated beginning in 1958 on an independent scheduleand set the stage for the first Homecoming. Queen Louise Finney and KingRonald Clow reigned. The Ham Supper was instituted by the Lettermaen'sClub in the Spring of 1959.

Track became a part of the the athletic program and in1959 Ronald Clow placed in the 100-yard dash at the Region; John Isely placedin the half-mile in the Region in 1961 and Charles Surface competed in theshot-put in 1965.

The 1958 Minnesota State 4-H Queen, Marion Anderson, wasa junior at Humboldt.

The Student Council became active in 1964 with Steve Skjoldas the first president. Junior Arne Anderson succeeded him in 1965 andMichael Rustad is the 1966 president.

Adult Education became part of the local curriculum in1963. The first courses offered were leathercraft, public speaking andtypewriting. At least courses are taught each term. The DevelopmentalReading Program was offered during the summer months of 1966 as a resultof Federal Aid. Fifty-three students, local and Spanish-Americans, wereenrolled.

Beginning Reading has been featured in both the Minneapolisand Grand Forks papers. In 1965, Richard Kleeman, staff reporter of theMinneapolis Tribune, and in 1966, Don Jacob, staff reporter of the GrandForks Herald, visited grade one and submitted a featured article on theirfindings.

Creative writing honors have also been claimed by severalstudents. James Tri had an article published in the Bee Magazine in 1960;Marlys Carlson won a set of the World Book Encyclopedia in 1963; SharonShort was given a Certificate of Merit on her science paper on Geneticsin 1963; Reginald Hemmes had an article on adult education published inthe Northern Educator in 1963. Michael Rustad placed third in the BemidjiJournalism Workshop with his editorial, "A Teenager Looks at Viet Namin 1966.

The stress on academic achievement has resulted in a strongeducational background. Many students have scored high on the NationalMerit Scholarship Qualifying Test. In 1964, Jackie Wiese and Steven Skjoldscored in the top two per cent of test takers nationwide. Carolyn Wieseachieved this honor in 1966. Rhoda Symington was a semi-finalist in 1966.

The admnistrators who implemented and supervised the programsduring this ten-year period include: C.T. Hermes, supt. O.A. Roberts, prin.1956-59; Otto C. Schultz supt. O.A. Roberts, princ. 1959-62; E. Dale Birkeland,supt. O.A. Roberts, prin. 1962-64; Pius Lacher, supt. Robert Schmidt, prin.1964-65; Pius Lacher, supt. Gene Kjellberg princ. 1965-66; O.A. Robertsacting supt., Gene Kjellberg, prin. Jan. 1966-June 1966. The administrativeduties at the beginning of the 1966-67 school term were accepted by GeneKjellberg, interim supt. John Liapis, part-time supt. and Dwight Westman,principal.

The administration and staff face a future which involvesmany technological changes, but each child is still an 'individual,' andmust be equipped to meet the automated NEW WORLD.

Enrollment during the 1956-66 period ranged from 182 to259 for grades 1-12. The largest elementary group was 148 in 1956-57. The smallest group of elementary students was 88 in 1966-67. The secondaryschool (7-12) ranged from a low of 94 in 1966-67 to 125 in 1963-64.

Submitted by Michael Rustad,

Appeared in The Whip, pages 50-51 (1967)

Submitted by Michael Rustad,

Appeared in The Whip, pages 50-51 (1967)