THINGS SAID IN 1959
(1) "I'll tell you one thing, if things keep goingthe way they are, it's
going to be impossible to buy a weeks groceries for $20."
(2) "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long when $3,000 will only buy a used one."
(3) "If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm goingto quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."
(4) "Did you hear the post office is thinking aboutcharging a dime just to mail a letter?"
(5) "The Government is wanting to get its hands oneverything. Pretty soon it's going to be impossible to run a family businessor farm."
(6) "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobodywill be able to hire outside help at the store."
(7) "When I first started driving, who would havethought gas would someday cost 50 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better offleaving the car in the garage."
(8) "Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail haircuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys willbe wearing their hair as long as the girls."
(9) "Also, their music drives me wild. This 'RockAround The Clock' thing isnothing but racket. Thankfully it will NEVER last."
(10) "I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies anymore. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn' in 'GoneWith The Wind,' it seems every movie has a 'hell' or a 'damn' in it."
(11) "Pretty soon you won't be able to buy a good10 cent cigar."
(12) "I read the other day where some scientist thinksit's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the of the century.They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down inTexas."
(13) "Did you see where some baseball player justsigned a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surpriseme if someday they'll be making more than the president."
(14) "Do you suppose television will ever reach ourpart of the country?"!
(15) "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchenappliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewritersnow."
(16) "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. Isee where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."
(17) "It won't be long before young couples are goingto have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work."
(18) "Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more, thoseHollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat."
(19) "I'll tell you one thing. If my kid ever talksback to me, they won't be able to sit down for a week."
(20) "Did you know the new church in town is allowingwomen to wear slacks to their service?"
(21) "Next thing you know, the government will startpaying us not to grow crops."
(22) "I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is goingto open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."
(23) "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day whenthe Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if weare electing the best people to congress."
(24) "Why in the world would you want to send yourdaughter to college? Isn't she going to get married? It would be differentif she could be a doctor or a lawyer."
(25) "I just hate to see the young people smoking.As I tell my kids, 'Don't take a cigarette from ANYONE. You never know whatmight be in it."
(26) "The drive-in restaurant is convenient in niceweather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."
(27) "There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omahaanymore for a weekend. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."
(28) "No one can afford to be sick any more, $35 aday in the hospital is too rich for my blood."
(29) "If a few idiots want to risk their necks flyingacross the country that's fine, but nothing will ever replace trains."
(30) "I don't know about you but if they raise theprice of coffee to 15 cents, I'll just have to drink mine at home."
(31) "If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut,forget it. I'll have my wife learn to cut hair."
(32) "We won't be going out much any more. Our babysitter informed us she wants 50 cents an hour. Kids think money grows ontrees."
(33) "Cars which dim their lights by sensors, automatictransmissions, and the Univac computing machine will NEVER catch on."
07/26/01 Submitted to the website by SusanKlooze