Biographies beginning with "K"

Scott County, Minnesota

The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967

Gerhard Klinkhammer

Gerhard Klinkhammer had died before the church was built in Union Hill. Gerhard and his family came to America in 1852 and first settled at Brighton (Kenosha Co) Wisconsin. About five years later they settled on a farm four miles south of Union Hill. (Derryname Twp)

The Klinkhammers came from Ripsdorf, Germany. After a short life in the new land, Gerhard passed away. He was buried near the earlier St. John's Church. Mrs Klinkhammer passed away in her ninetieth year near Ellsworth and her remains were brought to the Union Hill area for burial. Mr Klinkhammer was reburied in the present cemetery and now lies alongside his wife's grave.

The family consisted of three children: Peter of Union Hill, Joseph of Heidelberg, and Mrs. John J. Lenz (Anna) of Ellsworth.

 

Franz Kraemer

Franz Kraemer came to Union Hill in the late 1850's. His place of birth and his trip to this country was not located. When and where he married Maria Kubes was also not found. They made their home on his farm a mile out of Union Hill in Helena Township. Later they made their home on the land they owned across the road in Belle Plaine Township. In 1864, at the age of 42, Franz was drafted into the military service. He served with the First Regiment of Minnesota Heavy Artillery. He was discharged in June 1865, and returned to his farm.

The Kraemers had five children including Henry, Mrs. Peter Rolles (Anna), Peter, John and Sister Anatasia (Catherine). Mrs. Kraemer died in 1896 and Mr. Kraemer in 1901. Both are buried in St. John's cemetery.

The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967
 

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.

These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.

Union Hill History     cotter@winternet.com

Kodylek, John artist, a native of Austria, was born June 22, 1845.  When 14 years old he entered the Academy of Art at Prague, where he remained three years, and received the first premium for his works.  His art studies were completed at Vienna, where his masterpiece sold for a large sum.  In November, 1865, he moved to New York and in 1867 to St. Jo, Missouri, where he produced some fine pieces of work, one of which sold for $2,000.  Late in 1869 he went to Iowa and resided about three years at Sioux City.  After some time spent in traveling he went to St. Paul and resided two years.  In 1880 he established an art gallery in this place, which has since been his home.  Mr. Kodylek married May 14, 1867, Clara Hundt.  They have two children:  Julia and Arnold.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley

Kanth, John is a native of Germany, born June 16, 1816.  Until 14 years of age he lived with his parents.  He then worked three years at wagon making.  In 1846 he came to America, lived six months in Philadelphia, then in Pittsburg until 1849.  Until the fall of 1852 he worked at his trade at St. Louis.  He then made a claim of 160 acres six miles south of Shakopee and began clearing up a farm, using much of the best hard timber in wagon making.  It was he who manufactured the first wagon ever made in Scott county.  In 1872 he rented his farm and came to Shakopee; bought the St. Paul Hotel of this place, of which he is still proprietor; the house will accommodate fifty guests.  In 1845 he married Margaretta Blessing, of Prussia; she has borne him nine children, only tow are living; Mary and William.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley

Koerner, Anton Sr. was born November 19, 1828 in Bavaria.  When he was but two years of age his father died, and he lived with his mother until twenty-five years old.  In November, 1853, he came to America, spent one year in New York city, and was three years engaged in the butchers business in Dayton, Ohio.  Since 1857 his home has been at Shakopee.  He was employed in plastering and mason work until 1862, when he established a meat market on First street where with the aid of his son Adam, he is doing a successful business.  Eva Wich was married to Mr. Koerner in 1858, and died July 8, 1876.  They are the parents of five children:  Lena (deceased), Adam, Barbara, Anton, Jr., and Anna.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley

 

Back to Home Page