Biographies beginning with "L"

Scott County, Minnesota

 

LYONS, Stephen was born in New York in 1839. In 1855 the family moved to

Shakopee, MN. He was the oldest of four brothers, all of whom served during the Civil War. Harrison, the second oldest, (1840) & Stephen (1839) served together in the First Minnesota. George F (1841) served in the 9th Minnesota Inf. and John L, the youngest (1847) served in the 11th Minnesota.

 

Stephen was 22, when he and Harrison were mustered into Company A of the First Minnesota. Stephan was 5' 8 1/2" tall. He had a fair complexion, black hair and hazel colored eyes. He was promoted to corporal and then sergeant in Company A. Both men were wounded at Gettysburg. Stephen was wounded in the right thigh, during the charge on July 2nd. Harrison was wounded the next day, during the repulse of Pickett's charge. Stephan was sent to Jarvis Hospital in Baltimore, Md, for recovery and stayed there until February, 1864. He was mustered out with the regiment on May 5, 1864.

 

He never recovered from his wound. Stephen's leg was permanently in a bent position and he used crutches for the rest of his life. In pictures of the veterans, at their reunions in Minnesota and at Gettysburg, he can easily be spotted, by his crutches and bent right leg. He was a charter member of Excelsior's Frank W Halstead Post #57; joining when it was first organized on Jan 3, 1884. He transferred to the John B Wakefield Post #172 in Long Lake, Mn, in June 1886.

 

After the war he returned to Minnesota and lived in Shakopee and Sibley before settling in Wayzata, just west of Minneapolis. In 1864, he married Mary P Morrison, in Belle Plain, Mn. They had four children; Clara E (1866), Charles C (8/15/68), Chloe (1871) and John C (1875). Mary died on March 4, 1905 of spinal meningitis. Stephen died on April 29, 1907. He is buried in a small cemetery in Wayzata. It is located on the corner of Wayzata Blvd and Walker Ave.

 

Obituary- The Minnetonka Record, Friday May 1, 1908.

 

LYONS, Stephen died at nine o'clock Wednesday, April 29, 1907, at Wayzata at the age of 69. He enlisted when twenty two years old in St Paul in Co. A, 1st Minnesota Infantry, April 29, 1861. He was in all the battles and campaigns in his regiment until he was severely wounded at Gettysburg July 3, 1863, and was finally mustered out with an honorable discharge May 24, 1864. He is a

territorial pioneer, having come to Minnesota in 1855.

 

 He was a charter member of the F. W. Halstead Post No. 57 joining when this post was first organized on Jan 3, 1884. He was transferred to John B. Wakefield Post No. 172, Long Lake, Minn., in June 1886. He was a member of the G. A. R. until his death. He was an exceptionally good soldier, a true and steadfast comrade and one of the best neighbors and a representative citizen. He is survived by one son, Chas. Lyons, of Wayzata. His wife died about two years ago.

 

The funeral will be today at 10 a.m. from the house. The remains will be interred at Wayzata with the G. A. R. honors and service. All members of G. A. R. whether members of Hallstead Post or not, are earnestly requested to attend the funeral. The steamer Victor will leave the Blue Line and convey comrades to Wayzata in time for the funeral.

 

E. R. Perkins, Commander

 

Wm. Seeger, Adjutant

 

There is an interesting, and yet sad, side note to the above obituary, co authored by William Seeger. Seeger died on May 4th. The speculation was that he died partly because of a cold that he caught, while attending Stephen's funeral

 

From the History of the First Minnesota

http://www.firstminnesota.com/regt/roster.html

The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967

Nicholas Lenz

Nicholas Lenz was the last of the four Lenz brothers to settle in the Union Hill area. They arrived around 1863 and moved on 160 acres in Helena Township, northeast of the church. Nicholas was born in Alendorf, Germany. He came across to Wisconsin and in 1857 married Gertrude Rosenplanter at Kenosha. Her sister married Hubert Bonzelet who also moved to the Union Hill area.

Nicholas and Gertrude had 11 children born to them. They included John, Valentine, Thomas, Peter, Nicholas, and Mrs. Matt Gerardy of Ellsworth; Mrs John Pint of St. Benedict; Mrs Matt Huss and Mrs. Matt Pint of Union Hill; and Mrs. John Schneider of Turton, North Dakota. A son, Joseph, died at two years of age. Mrs Pint is still active in the Union Hill area.

Following his wife's death in 1906, Nicholas moved to Ellsworth where most of his children lived. He died there in 1912 from blood poisoning. Both are buried in Union Hill.
 

Henry Lochen

Henry Lochen returned to his homeland after six years of hard work establishing himself in this country. The group that accompanied him back to this country in 1854 included his parents, two sisters, a brother and his friend. Henry had come to Minnesota in the early 1850's and settled on a farm about two miles northeast of Union Hill.

Henry was born near Waxweiler, Germany to William and Maria Octav Lochen. William had been an expert swordsman with the cavalry of Napoleon's Armies and had accompanied Napoleon on his drive on Moscow in 1812. He was captured by the Russians and spent many hard years in Siberia before being released.

Henry worked hard for the establishment of a church at Union Hill. He made his home available whenever the priest came to the area to say Holy Mass. Forty acres were bought from Henry and a log church built by the local people was their first attempt to establish a church. However, the bishop did not accept the church site and later the land was sold back to Henry.

Mr. Lochen was married to Mary Hilgers at Shakopee. She was the daughter of a school teacher who taught in a neighboring school. She was born in Laningen, Luxemburg. They had nine children in the family. They were Nicholas of Plentywood, Montana; William of Eden Valley; Sister Adeline of Madison, Wisconsin; Thomas, Daniel, Mrs. Joe J. Busch (Angela), Mary, Elizabeth, and Mrs. Gerhard Busch (Margaret) of Union Hill.


The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967
 

Thomas Lenz

Thomas Lenz was the only one of the four Lenz brothers to stay in the Union Hill area after having located here. He lived for over 60 years on his farm a half mile West of Union Hill. Thomas was born in Alendorf, Germany and came to this country with his brothers in 1851. He also settled in the Brighton-Salem area of Wisconsin. In 1853, he was married to Elizabeth Holz in Salem. In 1856, they came to Union Hill and made their home on his farm.

The Tom Lenz family included the following children: Mrs Jacob Barten and Mrs. John Barten of Union Hill; Theodore Weiers of Humbolt, Canada; and John of  Ridgerwood, North Dakota. Another son, Matt, died in 1871 at the age of five from a heart condition.

The last group are the 14 families who lived in the Union Hill area in 1867 but moved away after various lengths of stay. Neither did any of their descendants stay or move back to this community.

The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967

John Joseph Lenz

John Joseph Lenz was a man of more than ordinary abililty. While at Union Hill, he served repeatedly as county commissioner and in 1883 was elected to the state legislature. Later while living in Ellsworth his influence was instrumental in attracting a large number of German settlers to that area. At the time of his death, he owned about 1200 acres of land in the Ellsworth area.

Hon. J.J. Lenz was born in 1834 in Alendorf, Germany and came to the Brighton Wisconsin area around 1851. In 1856, he moved to the Union Hill area along with his brothers. He became acquainted with Anna Maria Klinkhammer also of the Union Hill area and in June 1863, they were married. She was born in 1845 in Ripsdorf, Germany, to Mr. and Mrs. Gerhard Klinkhammer who came to this country in 1852. They made their home on his farm one mile east of Union Hill. In 1883, Mr. Lenz sold his farm to Adam Ruhland and moved with his wife and family to Ellsworth, Minnesota. There land was more plentiful for his large family who also were interested in farming.

The Lenz's had 13 children, seven sons and six daughters. They included Nicholas of Souix Falls; Peter of Wolf's Point, Montana; Barbara (Mrs Peter Ruffing) of Marshfield, Wisconsin; Gerhard of Adrian; Rudolph of Litchfield; Margaret (Mrs Jacob Ruffing) of Adrian; Theresa (Mrs. Anton Pint) of Adrian; Johanna (Mrs. Charles Witt) of Watertown, South Dakota; Catherine of Adrian; Joseph of Nashua, Minnesota; Herman of Adrian; Dorothy (Mrs. Fred Pass) of Madison, Minnesota; and Leo of Barney North Dakota.

The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967

Valentine Lenz

A century ago Valentine Lenz offered to give five acre from his farm in addition to that offered by his neighbor for the site of the new church. These offers were accepted immediately and the cemetery was located on land given by Mr. Lenz. Val appears to have been interested in developing an organization in the recently settled areas. However, once the area had become well established he was ready to move closer to the frontier.

It is believed that Val came to this country and to this area the same time as his brothers. He was married to Susanna Mares who lived one mile northeast of Union Hill. Her parents, Christian and Antonetey Mares sold their farm in 1968 and left the community. Susanna's sister became the wife of Joseph Unzen, who also was one of the original settlers. The Lenz's made their home and raised a family on the farm immediately southwest of Union Hill. They stayed in the community until 1879 when he sold the farm to John Huss and moved with his family to St. Leo.

The Lenz's were one of the first settlers in the St. Leo area. Val, again, assisted in organizing the frontier community. He was elected township justice and was appointed the postmaster of the St. Leo Post Office in 1880. Mrs. Lenz passed away in 1897 from consumption (tuberculosis).

In the early part of the twentieth century Mr. Lenz moved from St. Leo to Humboldt, Saskatchewan, Canada. This was relatively new land for developing at that time. Here he died some twenty years later. The members of the family to reach adulthood included Mrs. Peter Tholkes of St. Leo, Mrs. Matt Karmer, Mrs. John Weber, Mrs. Mike Miller and Valentine of Canada; and Mrs. Nick Recht of Washington state.

The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967
 

USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.

These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.

Union Hill History     cotter@winternet.com

 

Logefeil, August, proprietor of the United States Hotel, was born December 26, 1828, in Prussia.  He resided in different places, spent two years working at the bakers' trade, and four years traveling through all parts of Prussia.  In April, 1853 he came to America and in November to Shakopee.  Mr. Logefeil made a claim, in 1855 of 160 acres, near where New Prague is now situated.  He built a cabin of poles, with a roof of hay, and used a hollow stump for a cook-stove.  He was for a time engaged in lime burning, was also in the wood business, and one season ran a barge on the river; two and on-half years he drove a wagon selling groceries and notions.  Since 1874, he has been proprietor of the United States Hotel, which he built in that year.  The house will accommodate twenty-four guests.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley, page 308

Lord, Charles (deceased) was born July 22, 1817 in Cheshire county, New Hampshire.  At the age of 17 he went to Augusta, Georgia, and passed three years there in the study of medicine, then returned home and finished his studies, after which he practiced in his profession six years at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.  In the spring of 1854 he made a claim of 160 acres one and on-half miles east of Shakopee.  He afterwards sold half of it and worked the other eighty acres until 1864, when he moved to Shakopee and practiced medicine here.  He held the office of alderman six years.  Julia A. Buffum, who was born at Westmoreland, November 7, 1822, became his wife December 13, 1843.  They have had nine Children, seven of whom are living.  Mr. Lord's death occurred April 3, 1843.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley, page 308

Lord, Frank J, a native of Minnesota, was born June 12, 1854, in Hennepin county.  His father was Charles Lord, Sr., who settled in that county and afterward removed to Scott county.  Frank Lord grew to manhood there, and received his education in the public schools of Shakopee.  He was employed in D.L. How's drug store one year, then returned to school until 1871; from that date until 1874 he was with Lord & Halle, then with Stunk & Sons until 1877.  In March of that year he purchased the drug store at the corner of Holmes and First streets; in February, 1880, he moved his stock to Condon's block, where he carries a full line of drugs, books and stationery.  Miss Mary, daughter of Honorable Henry Hinds of this place, was married to Mr. Lord, September 4, 1879.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley, page 308

Lord, Samuel, born in 1829, is a native of England.  He served an apprenticeship of seven years at the carpenter trade, and after working in that country about fourteen years he came to America.  Lived one year at Dubuque, Iowa, and in April 1858, located at Shakopee.  He did contracting in this vicinity from that date until the spring of 1864, when he went to Montana and worked at building until 1865, when he returned to Shakopee and continued his trade here until the spring of 1867; since then he has been foreman in the carpenter shops of the St. Paul & Sioux City Railroad Company.  He married Sarah Greenwood, of England, November 1, 1852.  She was born March 7, 1826.  They are the parents of five children:  Mary A., Sarah A. and Mary A. are deceased.  The living are James T. and Grace E.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley, page 308

 

Lincoln, Isaac, was born January 17, 1823, in Barnstable county, Massachusetts.  The family had moved to Worcester in 1837, and here Isaac Lincoln began learning the blacksmith trade when eighteen years of age.  A short time in the summer of 1849 he worked in Springfield, and in the fall removed to Cleveland, Ohio, when he superintended the blacksmithing in the construction of the Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati railroad.  In June 1856, he came to Shakopee, and that year erected the first saw-mill in the place, which he operated in company with his brothers; was also engaged in lime burning.  Mr. Lincoln was a member of the senate in 1863-4; has also held different town offices and has been city alderman.  His marriage with Lois L. Bingham, of Ohio, took place June 4, 1850.  They have five living children:  Edgar B., Isaac, Jr., Charles F., Mary H., and William B.

From the book, History of the Minnesota Valley, page 309

 

 

Back to Home Page