The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967
Peter Neisen was already deceased when his wife, Anna, and family decided to leave their home in Feusdorf, Germany and come to this country. They came directly to the Union Hill area in 1867. In 1870, they bought a farm three miles north of Union Hill and the two sons farmed it together for several years.
Mrs Anna Neisen lived here only about ten years before she passed away in 1876. Her family consisted of sons Peter and Matt of Union Hill, Mrs. John Mamer (MaryAnn) of New Prague, and Mrs. Catherine Neises of Colwich, Kansas. Another son, John, did not come with the rest of the family. He served in the German army for ten years, including the Franco-Prussian War of 1870. However, he did come over later in 1874 and lived in Belle Plaine, Minneapolis, and Essig, Minnesota.
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.
Thomas Nealy, of Irish parentage, was born in 1850, at Ottawa, Illinois. His parents came to America about 1830, and ten years later settled in Illinois. When Thomas Nealy was a child his parents removed to Nova Scotia, and remained six years. In 1860 they came to Minnesota and located at Mendota; in the schools of that place and St. Paul, he received his education. In 1873 he became agent at the old Mendota station, and three years later at Merriam Junction. Since August, 1879, he has had charge of the telegraph office at Shakopee. Mr. Nealy's wife was Kate Kivel, a native of Wisconsin. Their marriage took place Thanksgiving day, 1872. Mary J., Maurice D., and Thomas H. are their children.
Thomas R. Newell was born in Lawrence county, Illinois, May 28, 1850. At the age of twenty years he went to Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and worked eighteen months at the jeweler's trade. In 1872 he removed to Minnesota, and passed one year at Brainerd in the same business. After residing in Winnipeg city, Manitoba, about three years, and ten months in St. Paul, he went in 1877, to Le Sueur; then in June of the same year he established a jeweler's store at Shakopee, on First street, where he is doing a fine business.