The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in 1867
Scott County genweb site
In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the founding of St. John's parish at Union Hill, Victorin J. Ruhland has written a history of the early settlers of a century ago.
Mr. Ruhland is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert J. Ruhland of Belle Plain township. He was graduated from New Prague High School in 1951, after which he served with the U.S. Army.
He received his Masters degree from the University of Minnesota, with a major in Agricultural Economics, and a minor in Economics and Soils.
Mr Ruhland is employed by the State Soil Conservation Service in St. Paul
Mrs. Ruhland is the former Jean Murphy of Mankato. The couple have one son, Jimmie, two years old.
Mr. Ruhland's history of Union Hill will be run in the New Prague Times serially in weekly installments, over following weeks.
A peculiar fact concerning the voyage to this country by Leonard and Mary Tix in 1852 was that they both came over on the same ship without knowin each other. Mary was ten and Leonard was eighteen at the time. They later settled in Union Hill where they became acquainted with each other and were married in 1857.
Leonard first settled in Wisconsin for several years before coming to Union Hill. Mary's family also lived in Wisconsin for awhile then moved to the Mendota area of St. Paul. From here they came to the Union Hill area around 1854.
The Rechs first farmed in Section 25 of Belle Plaine Township. Her folks (Math Tix) and brothers were farming just west of their farm. In 1867, Leonard bought 120 acres in section 36 a mile northeast of the church and farmed it until he retired in 1901. Here the Raven Stream Post Office was founded in 1863 with Henry Rogers as postmaster. Leonard later became the postmaster and served for about 35 years.
The Rechs were blessed with a large family of 15 children.
The Early Settlers of St. John's Parish at Union Hill in
By Victorin J. Ruhland June 1967
USGENWEB NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.
Ries, Sr. Jacob, was born December 6, 1830, in Luxembourg. When he was 18 years of age both his parents died. Mr. Ries was given both a literary and musical education in his native country an in 1854 came to America. He lived three years in New York, mainly engaged in carpenter work; then made a visit of six months to his native land, and in the spring of 1857 settled in Shakopee, which has since been his place of residence with the exception of a time spent at his farm in Spring Lake. In 1865 he opened sample rooms in his building on First street and in 1872 started a pop-factory. His present factory of brick was erected in 1880, and has all the facilities for manufacturing carbonate and fermented beverages. Josephine Mamer; who was born June 24, 1836, became his wife October 27, 1857. Of their fourteen children but seven are living: Jacob, jr., Anna Mary, Margaret J., Anna, Jogn B., Mary K.E and William.