Adams, Carleton C. (p. 501), once a resident of this county, was born in Elgin Village, June 3, 1883, son of Dr. William T. and Nellie (Gibbs) Adams. In his boyhood he attended the Elgin school and was graduated from high school in 1902. He then became a student at Minnesota University, taking a course in pharmacy and graduating in 1905. On his return from college he took a position in the Charles Burchardt drug store in Plainview, where he remained until 1907. In that year he went to Dodge Center, Minn., where he worked until 1910. The next two years he spent at Foley, Minn., and in 1912 went to St. Charles, Minn., where he is now residing, being employed by the drug concern of Frisch & Co. Mr. Adams is a member of the Masonic order, including the Eastern Star. His religious affiliations are with the Congregation church. He was married October 16, 1906, to Bernice Richardson, and he and his wife are the parents of three children: Michael C., born January 18, 1908; Gene M., born August 7, 1910, and Barbara E., born September 5, 1912.
Adams, Eugene W. (p. 709), an early settler in Zumbro Township, where he is now living retired after a long and successful career in agriculture, was born in the state of Maine, August 16, 1852, son of Robert L. and Mary (Dow) Adams. The parents were natives of the same state, who came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, at an early date, settling on 80 acres of land in Zumbro Township. Later they bought 80 more, which gave them a farm of 160 acres in section 34. Some of the land Robert C. Adams cleared, also erecting a set of buildings, and was engaged in general farming there until 1890, when he retired and took up his residence at Zumbro Falls, where he died August 5, 1917. His wife is now residing with her son Eugene. They had twelve children, of whom six are now living, namely: Walter, Margaret, Laura, Mary, Hannah and Eugene. Eugene W. Adams was educated in the district school and worked for his father until 1869. He then bought 80 acres in Olmsted County, erected some buildings, and operated the place for ten years, at the end of which time he sold it. In 1879 he bought he bought 160 acres in section 7, Zumbro Township, a place on which also he lived for ten years, or until 1889. He then bought 140 acres in section 7, and 120 in section 13. He erected buildings, increased the area of his farm to 340 acres, and was engaged in general farming until 1914, when he retired. His sons LeRoy and Ralph now operate the farm, on which he, himself, is still residing. For 15 years he served as a member of the school board. Mr. Adams was married March 19, 1869, to Victoria Hammons, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Hammons. Her parents were natives of Maine who were among the pioneer settlers of Wabasha County, arriving here in the early fifties, and it was in honor of Mr. Hammons that the village of Hammond was named. He was engaged in truck farming and also followed the occupation of carpenter. He died April 15, 1897, and his wife on April 4, 1898. They had but one child, Victoria, who, as above mentioned, became the wife of Eugene W. Adams. To Mr. and Mrs. Adams three children were born: Le Roy, September 2, 1870; Ralph J., January 4, 1872, and Charles V., April 30, 1873. The last mentioned died August 21, the year of his birth. Mr. and Mrs. Adams had also an adopted son, named Glenn, who was born April 5, 1892, and who lived with them until 21 years old.
Adams, Leroy W. (page 709), who has been established for a number of years as a general farmer and stock raiser in Zumbro Township, was born in this township, September 2, 1870, son of Eugene and Victoria (Hammons) Adams. The father was a native of the state of Maine, who came to Wabasha County with his parents, Robert L. and Mary Adams, at an early day, and who was married to Victoria Hammons in 1869. Her parents were pioneer settlers here also, and it was in honor of Mr. Hammons that the village of Hammond was named, with a change in the final letter of the name. The parents of the subject of this sketch are now living retired in Zumbro Township after a prosperous career in agriculture. Leroy W. Adams acquired his education in the district school and gained a knowledge of agriculture on his parent's farm, continuing as his father's assistant until 1891. He then began an independent career, buying a farm of 80 acres in section 14, Zumbro Township, which farm, however, he sold in 1893. Later he bought his present farm of 120 acres, of which 80 lie in section 13 and 40 in section 14. He has improved the place by the erection of buildings and fences, and is carrying on general farming and stock raising with good success. Mr. Adams has been twice married: first on May 11, 1891, to Leslie Anderson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Welcome Anderson. She died April 5, 1892.
Adams, William T., M.D. (page 501), for more than 40 years a highly esteemed citizen of Elgin, where he was successfully engaged in the practice of his profession, was born in Utica, N. Y., August 7, 1849, son of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Adams. His elementary education was obtained in a common school in his native city, and he subsequently attended an academy there. In 1864 he came with his parents to Plainview, Minn., and became a student at Carleton College. Later he entered upon the study of medicine and was graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1875. The rest of his life was spent in the practice of his profession in Elgin, where he became one of the most honored and best beloved residents, winning a place in the hearts of all who knew him. His life was long service to his fellow men. Able as a physician, he was also closely identified with the growth and development of the village, on all urgent occasions manifesting a fine public spirit. On August 25, 1875, Dr. Adams was married to Miss Nellie Gibbs of Plainview, and in the following year took up their abode in Elgin. Mrs. Adams proved a worthy helpmate to her husband and was a popular member of Elgin society. The issue of their marriage was one daughter, Grace, who died when a small child, and two sons, Carl of St. Charles, Minn., and Frank, of Lima Springs, Iowa. Dr. Adams' useful and active career came to an end on Wednesday, April 25, 1917, when he passed away at his home after over a year's suffering of heart trouble. His trouble had been of long standing, but until the death of Mrs. Adams, which occurred December 28, 1915, he had been able to attend to his practice regularly. Soon after her death he had a breakdown and for two weeks was very ill, recovering partially, however, and being able to attend to his practice for short periods. In December, 1916, he became worse and was confined to his house during the winter months, eventually failing until the end came. Besides his two sons he left three brothers: John, of Vancouver, Wash., Abner, of Morristown, and Charles, of Fribley; and two sisters, Mrs. Minta Roedler and Mrs. Jennie Carr, of Minneapolis.
Ahlers, Henry (page 744), a general farmer who is operating a good farm of 230 acres in Glasgow Township, was born in Westphalia, Germany, October 31, 1885, son of Martin and Mary (Kors) Ahlers. Given only a limited common school education, he was bound out at the age of 12 years by his father to a farmer, and thus early acquired a knowledge of agriculture. In 1910 he came alone to Wabasha County, Minnesota, where he had a brother, Herman, living. For two years he worked out as a farm hand during the summers, cutting cordwood in the winters. On November 7, 1912, Mr. Ahlers married Mary Stamschror, who was born on the farm in Glasgow Township, on which Mr. Ahlers now lives, in 1890, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Stamschror. The first year after his marriage Mr. Ahlers rented his father-in-law's farm, situated in sections 10 and 11. In 1913 he bought it and has since made his home there. It contains 230 acres, and is provided with a comfortable residence. When it came into his possession the other buildings were poor, but he has improved the property by erecting a modern barn, 36 by 72 by 16 feet, with a full eight-foot stone basement for cattle and horses. It has a cement floor and is provided with a modern equipment. He also built a silo, 14 by 30 feet, of 100-ton capacity, a steel windmill and other necessary buildings. The farm is well stocked with high grade Shorthorn cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs, and Shropshire sheep, and Mr. Ahler's equipment includes a Dodge touring car. From a young man with a capital of $60 Mr. Ahlers has risen to be one of the most prosperous farmers of his township and is highly esteemed as a man and citizen. The latter he became in the late spring of 1920, when he received his final papers of nauturalization. He and his wife have been the parents of five children, the youngest of whom died in infancy. The survivors are: Margaret A., born August 30, 1913; Helen E., born June 4, 1915; Joseph C., born March 9, 1917, and John G., born September 9, 1918. The Ahlers family are Catholics in religion and member of St. Felix parish.
Ahlers, Herman (page 632), who was for some years an enterprising and prosperous farmer of Glasgow Township, was born in Westphalia, Germany, April 9, 1874, son of Martin and Mary Ahlers. He attended common school in his native land to the age of 14 and was then bound out to a farmer. After following agricultural pursuits in Germany until October, 1900, he came to America in company with Henry Stamschror. Having no money at the time, he worked as a farm hand for two years in Glasgow Township, and afterwards for a year on the farm of Chris Grass of Wabasha Township. On November 19, 1902, Mr. Ahlers married Anna Helmsorig, who was born in Westphalia, Germany, October 11, 1880, and to whom he had become attached while in the old country. After his marriage he started in for himself, renting farms for four years in Glasgow and Highland Townships. In 1906 he bought 200 acres in sections 2 and 3, Glasgow, and 11 acres in section 11, the place being known as the Nick Zeimetz farm. The land was improved, but the buildings were poor. The latter condition he remedied in time, in 1914 building a good residence of nine rooms. With better buildings and an adequate equipment he followed general farming successfully, and had got everything into good shape when he met with a sudden and accidental death, being killed by lightening April 19, 1916. At the time of his death he was serving as supervisor, having filled that position for three years. He was a consistent member of the Catholic church and a good citizen, respected and esteemed throughout Glasgow Township and the vicinity. Since his death his widow has conducted the farm and has made further improvements on it. In 1920 she built a frame barn, 32 by 76 by 14 feet, and a silo 12 by 28 feet in size, and her equipment includes a Chalmers auto car. Mr. and Mrs. Ahlers were the parents of eight children, all of whom are now living, namely: Bernard Joseph, born January 23, 1904; Henry Herman, November 1, 1905; Aloysius Anton, July 14, 1907; Marie Helen, March 31, 1909; Martin Henry, December 31, 1911; Martha Catherine, 1912; Anna Bertha, January 14, 1914; and Gertrude Magdaline, November 28, 1915.
Ahrens, John (page 535), a retired farmer and respected citizen of Greenfield Township, was born in the Dutchy of Luxemburg, April 12, 1845. He remained in his native land until after attaining his majority, and then, in 1867, came to Minnesota, settling in Wabasha County. Here for ten years he was engaged in farm labor, working for others, but practicing economy and saving his money with the view of future independence. In 1877, having accumulated sufficient funds to make a start, he bought 160 acres in section 8, Greenfield Township, and began the development of a farm. His labors on this place covered a period of 33 years, during which period he grubbed, broke and cultivated his land and erected buildings and fences, carrying on general farming and stock raising. In 1910 he retired from active work, and turned over the farm in good condition to his son, Michael, who is now operating it. Mr. Ahrens was united in marriage with Emma Weber, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anselem Weber, her parents being natives of Germany. Of this union five children have been born: Emil, January 29, 1876; Michael, March 4, 1878; Barbara, May 7, 1880; Margaret, January 9, 1884; and Matt, December 29, 1892. The Ahrens family are member of the Catholic church and hold a recognized position among the industrious, prosperous and respected citizens of Greenfield Township.
Allen, Alfred R. (page 319), one of the pioneer settlers of Plainview Township, now deceased, was born in the Green Mountain region of Vermont, January 6, 1837. In 1857 he accompanied his parents to Wisconsin, where he subsequently married Elizabeth Bignell. She was born in England, January 29, 1840, and came to this country with her parents when six weeks old. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Allen came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, and settled on 80 acres of wild land in Plainview Township, on which they erected the usual pioneer log house, and afterwards other buildings, continuing improvements for many years. They also increased the size of their farm by an additional purchase of 40 acres, and in time became prosperous through hard work and thrift. After the breaking out of the Civil War, Mr. Allen enlisted in company B, Tenth Wisconsin Volunteers, and was in the service three years. He escaped death, wounds and imprisonment and returned safely home to resume family life and his labors on the farm. There this worthy pioneer was called away by death on January 9, 1909. He was survived by his wife, who is now residing in Plainview. He was a Republican in politics and affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church. At an early period of his active career he had spent three years in Watonwan County, Minn., where he attempted farming, but left on account of the grasshoppers, which devoured his crops. His ultimate choice of Wabasha county as a location proved fortunate. The house in which his widow now resides in Plainview is owned by herself and her son Julius.
Allen, William C. (page 319), a retired farmer living in Plainview, was born in this township, April 11, 1867, son of Alfred R. and Elizabeth (Bignell) Allen. He was trained to agriculture on his parents' farm, and on January 2, 1888, he was married to Minnie, daughter of Napoleon and Fianna Hessig, of Whitewater, Winona County, Minn. Previous to his marriage he had worked for his father, but he now started in for himself, for two years living on the John Beiter farm. Then he abandoned agriculture for awhile, and going to St. Paul, was employed successively by the North St. Paul Motor Line and the Wisconsin Railway. At the end of three years he returned to Plainview Township and rented his father's farm, on which he remained two years, in the meanwhile buying 75 acres of wild land in the vicinity, to which he subsequently moved. On this tract he erected a good set of buildings, and lived there three years, during which time he followed general farming and threshing. Then in 1907, having acquired a competence, he sold out and took up his residence in the village, where he owns a nice house, and is enjoying a period of comparative rest, carrying on a produce business as a dealer in butter, eggs, poultry and cream. In politics he is a Republican, while his religious instincts have turned in the direction of Spiritualism, a subject now being investigated by some of the leading minds in Europe and America. On November 8, 1917, he sustained a bereavement in the death of his wife. Five children were born to them: Alfred N., March 19, 1889, now living in Plainview; Etta G., May 28, 1891; Elmer W., April 21, 1895; Lee E., February 14, 1898; and Iva, September 15, 1902. The four younger children are living at home with their father, Iva being a student in the high school. Mr. Allen is fraternally affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and with the Yeomen at Plainview.
Almeter, Nicholas J. (p. 696), head of the firm of N. J. Almeter & Sons, of Mazeppa, engaged in general black-smithing, and also operating a garage and handling auto cars, was born in Sheldon, Wyoming County, N. Y., September 28, 1859. His parents were Frank and Mary (Clemens) Almeter, both of whom were born in Belgium. The father, who was a blacksmith, died in April, 1870, and the mother in 1874. They had seven children, one of whom died in infancy. Another, Kate, who became the wife of Jake Steffen of Buffalo, N. Y., is also deceased. Those now living are: John, residing in Portland, Ore.; Louis F., of Los Angeles, Calif.; George F., of Texarkana, Ark.; Lena, wife of Mike Curry, of Rogers, Minn.; and Nicholas J., of Mazeppa. Nicholas J. Almeter remained in New York State until he was 19 years old, and there acquired his education. He then came to Minnesota, locating in Goodhue County, where he followed the blacksmiths' trade. In 1884 he settled in Mazeppa, entering the employ of A. J. Taft, a blacksmith, whose partner he subsequently became. After the partnership had lasted six years, Mr. Almeter bought Mr. Taft's interest in the business, which he conducted alone until 1920. He then took his three sons into the firm and the business is now conducted under the name of N. J. Almeter into the firm and the business is now conducted under the name of N. J. Almeter & Sons. In addition to carrying on a general blacksmith business and operating a garage, the firm handles Ford cars and accessories, besides doing general repairing. Mr. Almeter has twice served as a member of the village council, and once as mayor or president of the village. He belongs fraternally to the United Workmen, and in religion is a Catholic. In June, 1887, he was united in marriage at Belle Chester, Minn., to Maggie Heber, daughter of Nicholas and Anna (Majerus) Heber, her parents being natives of Luxemburg. Of this union seven children have been born, of whom two, Clara and Albert, are deceased. The living are: Mary A., Frank N., John W., Louis L., and Helen. Frank and John each took part in the World War, Frank enlisting from Minnesota and serving 13 months in the United States and France. John served one year, taking part in the fighting in the Argonne Forest, France.
Amerland, Gerhard Heinrich (page 531), one of Wabasha County's honored pioneers, who in his humble way aided in developing the great Northwest, was born in Hanover, Germany, June 5, 1828. When he was 18 years of age he left his native country and came to the United States, spending his first five years in this country in New Orleans. From there he came up the Mississippi river to St. Louis, where he remained two years. Then coming further north he resided at Stillwater a short time, whence he came to Wabasha County and filed on land in Greenfield Township. That winter he returned to St. Louis, but in the spring of 1854 he came back to Wabasha County, accompanied by his brother, Herman. The log house that stands in the rear of the more pretentious residence in which he died was built by himself and brother more than 60 years ago. Mr. Amerland arrived at a time when there was much to be done in the way of developing nature's resources and lending aid in establishing those institutions which go to build up a civilized community, in all of which he rook an active part. He had many characteristics decidedly his own. As a companion his sociable disposition and keen wit made him incomparable. And hour spent with him when in a reminiscent mood was a rare treat, especially when he narrated incidents of early pioneer life. His memory was a marvel, and the accuracy with which he related a story was only surpassed by the spicy manner he had of telling it. He was fond of the company of others, and above all things he loved music and song. He was a man among men, a friend to his friends, and for these qualities he was respected and esteemed by his associates and neighbors. He filled his station in life and did his duty as he found it. Of the most strict integrity, he gave everyone fair treatment and expected the same from others. Truly he was a man to be remembered by anyone who ever formed his acquaintance. On Saturday, July 10, 1909, the sad news was received that Henry Amerland was relieved of life's sufferings and had passed away from all earthly cares after being confined to his bed for many months. The funeral services were held at his old home on the farm in Greenfield on the following Tuesday, being conducted by the Rev. Carl Landsberger. Teutonia Lodge, No. 19, I.O.O.F., attended in a body and performed the last sad rites of the order over the remains of their departed brother at Riverview cemetery. Internment was made beside the remains of his devoted wife and daughter, who preceded him to their everlasting home. Christina Amerland, wife of Gerhard Heinrich Amerland, was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Frank, of Watopa. She was born at Frankfort, Germany, on December 20, 1833, and came to this country with the family in 1854. In the spring of 1856 she came to Wabasha County, and on September 3 the same year became the bride of G. Henry Amerland. With him she passed many happy years at their home in Greenfield, where at last death called her on Monday morning, March 20, 1905. The end was very sudden and unexpected. She had arisen that morning soon after 6 o'clock and came down to the kitchen where her daughter, Lucy, was preparing the morning meal. She was in her usual health and good spirits. Lucy went into the pantry and heard her mother fall. Rushing out, she found her mother on the floor. She complained that she was feeling very ill and weak. This was the last word spoken. She was placed on the lounge, a physician summoned and also Mr. and Mrs. Julius Schmidt of Wabasha, and Edward Amerland and sister of Greenfield. At 8 o'clock she passed away. It was evidently a hemorrhage of the brain. Mrs. Amderland was a good wife and mother and a faithful and devoted Christian woman. She was one of God's noble women and she did God's work in rearing a large family and instilling into their hearts the beautiful virtues that have so fruitfully manifested themselves in the lives of such useful members of society as have gone out from that home. Her work is done. She lived beyond the allotted time, three score and ten, and she died esteemed by all who knew her. Hers was a beautiful character and her every word was a benediction.
Amerland, Herman (page 634), a Wabasha County pioneer, the founder of a good farm in Wabasha Township, now carried on by his son Edward and daughter Sophia, was born in Hanover, Germany, May 14, 1822. He was reared on a farm and received a common school education. Until nearly 30 years of age he remained in his native land, where, on January 2, 1852, he was married to Catherine Budke, also a native of Hanover. In 1853 he and his wife, with their first born child, Gerhard Henry, took passage on a sailing vessel for New Orleans, in the United States, where in due time the parents arrived, their son having died on the voyage and been buried at sea. On board a river steamer Mr. and Mrs. Amerland journeyed northward to St. Louis, in which city they remained during the winter. In the spring of 1854 they continued their northern pilgrimage, going as far as Hastings, but soon returning south to Wabasha. Two miles south of the village they took a claim of 80 acres of wild timber land, now within the city limits. On this tract they erected a small log house and began the work of developing a farm. The task was a long and hard one, but was well accomplished, and the farm is today one of the best in this part of the county. In 1870 Mr. Amerland built a comfortable frame house and other necessary buildings. Though he and his wife suffered hardships in the early days, they endured them patiently and were always hard and willing workers. In the very early days they had frequent experiences with the Indians, who were very numerous. The Indians camped and had their tepees in the Amerland woods and often came to the house to trade fish and game for tobacco or eatables. Several Indian mounds are on the farm. Their early dealings with the Indians appeared to the Amerlands in the light of a thrilling experience, and they doubtless felt some natural timidity owing to stories they had heard of the ferocity of the savages when on the warpath, but as they treated them kindly they never had any trouble with them, and were treated with respect by the Indians in return. Mr. and Mrs. Herman Amerland were members of the Lutheran Evangelical church and Mr. Amerland was a Republican in politics. Both died on the home farm, Herman Amerland on October 18, 1893, and his wife, Catherine, May 11, 1895. They were the parents of ten children, the first of whom, who died at sea, has been already mentioned. The others were as follows: Henry born November 8, 1855, now engaged in the real estate business in Fargo, N. D.; Anna, born April 8, 1857, now Mrs. John Yost of Wabasha City, Louisa, born June 23, 1859, who married L. S. Russell of Minneapolis and is now deceased; Sophia, born March 23, 1864, who never married, and is now residing on the home farm; Helena, deceased; Edward, born January 9, 1870, who is unmarried and living on the home farm; John, born April 25, 1872, who is engaged in the auto business in Fargo, N. D.; and Clara, born February 18, 1875, who married S. T. Hill of Minneapolis, and is now deceased. After the death of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Amerland their son, Edward, and daughter, Sophia, bought out the other heirs and have since operated the farm. They have rebuilt the original buildings and added other and today have a fine set, all electrically lighted. Their stock barn has a full modern equipment, as also has the farm in general, 150 acres of which is under cultivation. They carry on general farming and dairying, keeping from 15 to 20 milch cows. Their cattle are of a high grade, known as the "Brown Swiss" breed their swine being of the Poland china variety. For both herds they have full blooded sires. The Amerland farm is beautifully located on the main highway between Wabasha and Kellogg, and now contains 228 acres. Edward and Sophia Amerland affiliate with and help to support the Congregational church of Wabasha. Neither has ever married. They have purchased a fine residence with two lots in Wabasha city, where they expect to make their future home. Politically Edward is a Republican.
Ames, Ernest Raymond and Archie Glenn (page 473), proprietors of a 320-acre stock farm in section 30, Minneiska Township, are well known throughout southeastern Minnesota as successful swine and cattle breeders. They were born at Gilmanton, Buffalo County, Wisconsin. Earnest R. on January 30, 1880, and Archie G. on June 10, 1882. The parents were Alonzo G. and Emma (Hyatt) Ames. The father, born in the state of Maine in 1836, was of English ancestry, and when young came with his parents to Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, where about 1848 they settled on a farm. There Alonzo G. was brought up and remained until reaching the age of 21. His marriage to Emma Hyatt occurred September 25, 1859, and soon after that event he went with his wife to Missouri. A year and a half later the Civil War broke out, but Alonzo G. Ames saw the trend of events, and before Fort Sumter was fired on, he escaped in the night, accompanied by his wife, in order to avoid forcible enlistment in the Home Guard. After reaching Wisconsin he enlisted in the First Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and served with that regiment until the close of the war. It was attached to the Army of the Tennessee and Mr. Ames served under Generals Meade, Buell and Rosekranz, taking part in the principal battles participated in by the army, including that of Chattanooga. Near Hingham, Sheboygan County, Wis., he bought a farm of 90 acres, on which he resided nine years. At the end of theat time he removed with his family to Buffalo County, in that same state, and for about nine years operated a farm of 300 acres in Gilman Valley, near Alma. He then sold out, intending to go to Nebraska, but, having changed his mind, took a farm of 201 acres in Dover Township, Buffalo County, which property still remains in the family. Alonzo G. Ames died very suddenly on January 9, 1906. He and his wife were the parents of six children: Minerva E., born in Missouri, November 11, 1860, and now Mrs. L. J. Patterson, of St. Charles, Minn.; Eulah Ethel, born August 11, 1866, who married Warren Alt, of Mondovi Township, Buffalo County, Wis., and is now residing in Los Angeles, Calif.; Mary L., born August 13, 1869, who is also a resident of Los Angeles; Charlotte E., born November 12, 1872, who is the wife of Christian A. Berg, residing in Hollywood, a suburb of Los Angeles; and Ernest Raymond and Archie Glenn, the dates of whose nativity have been already given. The subjects of this sketch both attended school in Dover township, Buffalo County, Wis., Ernest Raymond also taking three terms in the agricultural college at Madison, and Archie Glenn one term in the Winona Business College. Under their father's instructions and direction, they acquired a good practical knowledge of agriculture and stock raising, and after his death remained for one year on the farm in Dover Township, Buffalo County. They then came to Minnesota, Ernest R., or Ray, as he is usually called in the family, becoming clerk in the hardware store of C. A. Berg, his brother-in-law, at Winona. Within a year or two Mr. Berg sold out and went to California, and the two brothers, in 1909, formed a partnership and took their present farm, which they have since operated, making a specialty of stock breeding. In this line of industry they have made a wide reputation, and their sales are attended by farmers from many miles around and all parts of the United States. At one of these sales, in September, 1919, they sold 55 head of swine, realizing an aggregate sum of $15,210. This is said to have been one of the largest sales ever held in the state. On January 27, 1920, 37 head of hogs were sold for $22,470, and average price of $607 per head, the highest average attained in the state to that time, one sow selling for $2,525. On March 2, 1920, 42 head sold for $25,100, including Leader of Fashion, the boar which sold to the Underwood Farm, of Lake City for $10,000 and other consideration valued at $2,500. This is the world's record price for under one year old boar; it was sired by Premier Sensation. During the winter of 1919-20 the Ames Brothers purchased at leading sales in different states about $30,000 worth of breeding sows, paying for one $4,000, which is the highest price sow in the state. They figure on an average about 400 Duroc-Jersey hogs, and about 100 head of cattle of the Guernsey breed; the hogs being registered, high-priced stock, and the cattle part registered and part grade stock. Before engaging in the breeding of registered stock, the Ames brothers were engaged in the silo business, erecting many silos in Wabasha County and southern Minnesota. When they first came to their present farm, it had been rented out for 20 years previously, and was in a poor and dilapidated condition, the land being overgrown with wild oats, mustard, and other weeds, and for some time it was uphill work to get the place into good shape. This task, however, they have accomplished, and now have a splendid piece of property, with excellent buildings of modern type. Archie G. is secretary of the local creamery at Weaver, and of the state Duroc Fellows. Ernest Raymond Ames was married, in May, 1907, to Clara Kahl, of Winona, daughter of H. G. Kahl, and has three children: Ronald, aged 12 years; Charlotte, aged 8, and Roberta, aged 3. Archie Glenn Ames was married, at Mondovi, Wis., October 25, 1911, to Emma A. LaDuke, and has three children: Eleanor Ailee, born November 6, 1913; Glenna Jean, born May 24, 1915; and Audrey Emma, born May 7, 1917. Mrs. Emma Ames, the widowed mother of the Ames brothers, resides with them on the farm during summers and the winters in California with her daughters.
Since the above article was written news has been received of the death of Ernest Raymond Ames, who passed away at the Winona General Hospital, on Wednesday, June 30, 1920, after an operation for appendicitis, performed on the previous Sunday at midnight. The funeral was held Friday afternoon, July 2, from the home, and burial was at Hillside Cemetery, Minneiska. Hosts of relatives and friends from the immediate neighbors and surrounding states attended. The Rev. Jesse Kenderdine, of Winona, and Rev. Stanley Kenderdine, of Minneiska, conducted the services. At the cemetery the I.O.O.F. Lodge of Plainview performed the ceremonies according to the ritual of the Order.
Amman, Lawrence (page 230), an elderly and well known resident of Plainview, where he is now living retired after a long, active and useful career devoted chiefly to agriculture, was born in Milwaukee, Wis., August 10, 1847, son of Serofin and Mary (Snell) Amman. The parents were natives of France who came to America in 1846, locating in Washington County, Wisconsin, where they spent the rest of their lives on a farm. Lawrence Amman in his boyhood attended the district school and remained home until 16 years old. He then went to Michigan Lake, remaining one year, after which, in 1871, he came to Minnesota, and for three years followed various occupations, including farming, blacksmithing, and logging in the pineries. In 1874 he located to Highland Township, where he rented a farm for three years. Then, in 1877, he bought 80 acres in section 30, Plainview Township, and began the task of developing it into a good farm. In time he erected a good set of buildings, including a comfortable residence, put up fences, and installed modern machinery. He also purchased more land, increasing the area of the farm to 200 acres, and on it he followed general agriculture successfully until 1907. As he was by that time becoming advanced in years, he sold the place to his sons and retired, purchasing his present home in Plainview Village, where he and his wife are passing the evening of life in comfort and prosperity, respected and esteemed by their neighbors and numerous friends. The marriage of Mr. Amman occurred June 20, 1877, his bride being Catherine Georges. She was born in France, July 21, 1851, and came to America in 1874. They have two children, Felix N. and John. Felix N., born March 26, 1879, owns and resides on a part of the old Amman farm in Plainview Township. He married Mary Mellville, and has two children, Katherine and Ruth. John, the second son, who was born May 7, 1891, owns and operates the rest of the Amman farm above mentioned. He married Addie Stoltz and has two children, Harry and Ruby. The family is affiliated religiously with the Catholic church, and Mr. Amman, the subject of this sketch, belongs also to the Knights of Columbus.
Amos, Charles S. (page 235), who died at his home in Plainview, April 3, 1916, was for many years a large land owner, a scientific farmer and stock breeder, whose specialty was the raising of better horses, both draft and road horses, pacers and trotters, in which line of endeavor, as in others, he was eminently successful. He was born in Strasburg, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, June 24, 1853, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Amos, whom he accompanied to Little Valley, Olmsted County, Minn., when seven years old. There he was educated and reared to farm pursuits, residing at home until 1875. In that year he bought 80 acres in Little Valley, and started to develop a farm on his own account, erecting the necessary buildings. His energy and ambition led him to increase his holdings from time to time until he had in all some 745 acres, which was all in Little Valley, near the Wabasha County line. There he farmed successfully until 1913, when he retired from active work and moved to Plainview, purchasing a fine residence on Jefferson street. A part of his land was divided among his children, he retaining 260 acres, which is now owned and rented out by his widow. In addition to his agricultural and stock raising interests, Mr. Amos was a stockholder in the Greenwood Prairie Telephone Company. He was a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Greenwood Prairie, and his death was an event that spread sorrow throughout the community, thus deprived of one of its foremost citizens. Mr. Amos had still his fortune to make when, on October 5, 1876, he married Augusta Daburkow, who was born in Germany, November 22, 1855. With her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Daburkow, she came to America in 1860, when five years old, the family locating on Oak Ridge. There the mother died and the father subsequently returned to Germany, where he also passed away. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Charles S. Amos, two of whom are now deceased, namely: Dollie, born July 25, 1895, who died August 10, 1910, and an unnamed infant who died on the day of its birth, October 16, 1888. The survivors are Henry Alfred, Howard William, Grace E., Rolla B., and Charley H. All the sons are farmers in Little Valley, Henry Alfred, born August 9, 1880, is operating a part of the old home farm, his sister, Grace (born April 22, 1883), keeping house for him. Howard William, born November 3, 1881, was married January 12, 1905, to Ida Ketchum and has three children, Orvill, Gladys and Jake. Rolla B., born January 25, 1885, was married March 20, 1912, to Lucille Amos and has two children, Burrell and Phyllis. Charley H. was married January 15, 1913, to Alice Marshman and has two children, Rosemond and Paul. The Amos family is affiliated religiously with the Methodist Episcopal church. They occupy a high place in the community, of which they are useful members, characterized by all the qualities of true manhood and womanhood.
Anderson, Abram J. (page 682), a Wabasha County pioneer now living retired in the village of Hammond, was born in Oneida County, N. Y., October 9, 1838. He came to Wabasha County, Minn., in 1858, as a young man of 20, locating in Zumbro Township, where he bought a preemption right to 160 acres in section 18. In 18861 he bought 80 acres in section 19, and erected buildings. The country was then wild, and though white settlers were coming in, there were as yet few cultivated farms. There was a good deal of timber and the Indians were numerous; so also were deer and wolves and various sorts of wild game. Mr. Anderson, like all the pioneer settlers, had to put up with more or less hardship and privation, but he made gradual progress in developing a farm, and became a little better off. In 1871 he bought 160 acres of land at Gettysburg, Dakota, (now South Dakota), and 240 acres in North Dakota, and at different times his total land possessions in the three states amounted to 800 acres. During the period of these investments, he continued farming and stock raising on his home farm in Zumbro Township, making yearly trips to the Dakotas. For 35 years he bought cattle in the vicinity of Hammond. In 1915 he retired and rented his farm to his sons, and in 1919 moved to Hammond village. There are probably very few, if any, surviving pioneers of Wabasha County who have had such a long, active career, covering 52 years, and there are few who are better known or have a wider circle of friends and acquaintances. During his period of activity Mr. Anderson performed some public service, for 12 years being one of the supervisors on the Zumbro town board, and for many years serving on the school board of his district. He attends the Wesleyan Methodist church at South Troy. Mr. Anderson was first united in marriage on February 12, 1858, to Angeline Dennison of New York state, who after 14 years of married life died September 12, 1872. She left four children, namely: Alonzo D., born December 10, 1859, who is residing in Hammond; Hattie, born April 15, 1862, now the widow of Charles Devery, and who with her son, Grover, is operating a farm in Zumbro Township; Wesley W., born September 4, 1865, residing in Chester Township; Clark L., born August 23, 1868, who lives in Wabasha. Mr. Anderson was married secondly September 23, 1873, to Melvina Mitchell, a native of the state of Maine. By her he has had eight children, as follows: Mott M., born July 20, 1874, who is the now postmaster at Hammond; Blanche E., born March 24, 1876, who is the wife of Walter Lord; Lynn R., born July 12, 1880, who resides in Hammond; Jesse L., born August 6, 1882, who died May 24, 1918; Lura A., born September 20, 1885, now Mrs. Peter Kruger of Rochester, Minn.; Ray A., born January 11, 1888, a farmer in Zumbro Township; Percy F. born December 28, 1893, also on the farm, and Roy W., born April 1, 1890. The last mentioned, Roy W., on September 18, 1917, was drafted into the U.S. Army, becoming a member of Company B, Second Regiment, 163d Depot Brigade, and served in France 19 months. He is now residing at home.
Anderson, Henry (page 769), a well known and respected citizen of Elgin, proprietor of a truck line from Elgin to Rochester, was born in Steele County, Minn., December 28, 1894, son of Ole J. and Mary (Elllingson) Anderson. The father, Ole J. Anderson, was a native of Wisconsin, born June 19, 1866. He came to Minnesota with his parents when young, and was educated in the district schools of Berlin Township, Steele County. In 1887 he bought from his father 120 acres of land in that township and began farming on his own account. Later he purchased 240 acres, which he farmed until October, 1919. Then, selling his farm of 320 acres, he moved to Greenbush village, Roseau County. Still later he bought a farm of 160 acres in that county, where he now resides, engaged in general farming. He was chairman of the town board four years, secretary of the creamery three years, and secretary of the telephone company five years. He was married to Mary Ellingson in 1887, and he and his wife have been the parents of twelve children, John, Anna, Eddie, Clara, Harry, Joseph, Jennie, Mary, Edna, Louisa, John and Ole. He is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church. Henry Anderson was educated in the district schools of Berlin Township, Steele county, Minn. He lived on the home farm until the age of 18, and after that worked on other farms until February 2, 1914, when he came to Elgin village, finding employment in the creamery, where he worked until March 18, 1915. He then rented his father-in-law’s farm until May 1, 1918, and subsequently bought a farm of 120 acres in sections 24 and 25, Viola Township, Olmsted County, which he operated until August 1, 1919. Since that date he has been engaged in his present business, residing in Elgin village. Religiously he is affiliated with the German Lutheran church. Mr. Anderson was married March 24, 1915, to Adella A. Schmiedberg, daughter of Frank L. and Otillia E. (Roempies) Schmiedeberg. Her father was born January 31, 1869, in Beaver Dam, Wis. When young he came with his parents to Olmsted County, Minn., and was educated in the district schools of Viola Township. He lived on his parents’[ farm until 24 years of age, and afterwards was engaged until 1907 in farming 120 acres which he had bought of his father in that Township. Subsequently until 1915 he worked as a well driller and clerk in a hardware store, and still later in a garage in Elgin village, until his death on November 30, 1917. His marriage with Ottilia E. Roempies took place November 16, 1893. She was born in Pommern, Germany, January 5, 1871. Their children were: Emma H., now Mrs. Bert Raymond, of Rochester, Minn.; and Adella A., wife of Henry Anderson of Elgin. The Schmiedeberg family are affiliated with the German Lutheran church.
Anderson, H. Cowan (page 234), who for the last 25 years has successfully followed the occupation of contractor and builder, in Plainview, was born in Prince Edward Island, Canada, December 13, 1869, son of H. D. And Margaret (Webster) Anderson. The parents were both native of Canada. The father in early life was a school teacher, but subsequently made agriculture his regular occupation. In 1890 he went to the Pacific coast states, but later returned to Canada, where he died in 1916. His wife died when her son, the subject of this sketch, was only two weeks old. H. Cowan Anderson was educated in the public schools of Canada, and at the age of 21 years took a course in contracting and building. He then came to the States, locating in Lisbon, N.D., where he remained one summer. The following summer he went to Sumner, Wash., where, until 1894, he was employed as carpenter in a sash and door factory and other general building. Then coming to Plainview, Minn., he established himself in business here as a contractor and builder, which has since been his chief occupation, though he also is engaged to a limited extent in truck farming. A thorough master of his trade, he has built up a substantial reputation, and many of the fine residences and buildings in Plainview and the vicinity were erected by him, and stand as monuments of his handiwork. As a man and citizen he is respected throughout the community, his personal character being as solid and well proportioned as the substantial structures he has erected. Of a companionable disposition, he had identified himself with several of the prominent fraternal orders, being a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a Forester. His membership in the Odd Fellows’ order includes the Rebekah lodge. Mr. Anderson was married November 3, 1894, to Anna s. Friesheim, who was born in Sauk City, Wis., April 7, 1870. After 23 years of happy married life, she died June 27, 1918, leaving four children: Phyllida E., born September 26, 1896; Douglas F., born February 18, 1904; Lenora E., born April 29, 1905; and Mildred A., born April 25, 1909. Phyllida E., who is a graduate of the Plainview high school and the Ellensburg (Wash.) Normal school, is now a teacher in the state of Washington. Douglas F. is residing in Rochester, Minn. The other two children reside with their father, Lenora being a student in the Plainview high school. Mr. Anderson and his family attend the Congregational church. Mr. Anderson was married April 17, 1920, to Mrs. Olive Erding.
Anderson, John F. (page 378), proprietor of the National Nursery, one of the important and growing business concerns of Lake City, was born in Sweden, May 22, 1870, and came to America in 1872 with his parents, the family settling in Lund, Wisconsin. The father was a tailor by occupation, and the family numbered twelve children, of whom six are now living. The parents also survive and reside in a comfortable home next to that of their son John. At the age of fourteen years John F. Anderson entered the employ of the Jewell Nursery co. at Lake City, and remained with them altogether for 29 years. He also spent some time with the Rose Hill Nursery Co. of Minneapolis, and with these two concerns learned every detail of the business. In the fall of 1910 he, with his brother, Axel Anderson, and Emil Bellman, started in the nursery business on Iowa street, in the south end of Lake City, beginning on sixteen acres of land. Two years later Mr. Bellman sold his interest to Edward Anderson, a brother of John and Axel , and the business was then organized as the National Nursery Co. In 1918 John F. Anderson became the sole proprietor and has retained the old name of the concern. The business has grown to considerable dimensions, and draws its supplies principally from territory in Wisconsin and North Dakota. Previous to the entrance of the United States into the World War, the concern employed eight traveling salesmen, but the war took some of its men, and since then they have done a large wholesale business, supplying other nurseries with stock, which they grow on contract. Frugal and industrious, Mr. Anderson has accumulated all he has through his own personal efforts. He owns a comfortable home at 414 S. Sixth street. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Equitable Fraternal Union, and is also a member of the Swedish Sick Benefit Co., all of Lake City. Politically he is Independent, voting for the man rather than with any particular party. Mr. Anderson was married October 26, 1896, to Alma Soderstrom, who was born in Pepin County, Wisconsin, one of the seven children (three daughters and four sons) of Peter and Mary Soderstrom. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have been the parents of six children, three of whom died in infancy. The other three who are living, are: Glenn A., born January 26, 1898; Helen V., born July 4, 1903, and Maurice W., born May 8, 1913. The family are members of the Swedish (or Second) Congregational Church of Lake City.
Anderson, Mott M. (page 522), postmaster at Hammond, and assistant cashier of the Hammond State Bank, was born July 20, 1874, on a farm in the town of Zumbro, son of Abram J. and Melvina (Mitchell) Anderson. The father was a native of New York State and the mother of Maine. Abram J. Anderson came to Minnesota at an early day, locating on a farm in Zumbro Township, where he followed agriculture until the fall of 1919. He then retired and took up his residence in Hammond, where he is now living. He was twice married, first to Angeline Dennison, by whom he had four children, Wesley, Alonzo D., who is Mayor of Hammond, Harriet and Clark. By his second marriage to Melvina Mitchell eight children were born, all of whom are living but Jessie S. The survivors are Linn, Ray A., Roy W., Percy F., Mott M., Blanche and Lura. Blanche is the wife of Walter Lord, a farmer in Zumbro Township. Lura is the wife of Peter Kruger, of Rochester, Minn. Harriet, who married Charles Devery, is now a widow, and resides on a farm in Zumbro Township. Mott W. Anderson was reared on the home farm in Zumbro Township, on which he remained until 25 years old. His education was begun in the district school, and he afterward attended schools at Rochester, Mazeppa and Madison, Minn., being a pupil for one winter at each of the two latter places. In the fall of 1898 he came to Hammond and opened a drug store with Dr. H. J. Button, to whom he sold his interest in the fall of the following year. For some time after that he was variously employed, partly in farming. For seven years he was engaged in railroad work, and for two winters was in the employ of the Western Elevator Company. On June 20, 1907, he was appointed postmaster at Hammond, which position he still holds. On September 1, 1919, Mr. Anderson entered the Hammond State Bank as bookkeeper, and since January 1, 1920, has been assistant cashier. He has served as village recorder of Hammond, and has been clerk of the local lodge of Modern Woodmen of America for 14 years. Mr. Anderson was married, December 28, 1900, at Wabasha, Minn., to Elizabeth Burch, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christ Burch, of Hyde Park, Wabasha County. The mother died when her daughter Elizabeth was a small child, but the father is still living. They were early settlers in this county, and were engaged in farming. Their children were John, Celia, Christ, Charles and Elizabeth. Mr. Anderson has two half brothers and four half sisters: Louis, Amelia, Margaret, Mary, Ella and Emil. Of the children comprising the entire family, all are living except John and Louis. Mr. and Mrs. Mott M. Anderson are the parents of two children: Mervil V. and Jessie, both residing at home. Mervil is now employed in the post office.
Notes from Fellow Genealogists: Christ Burch, Mott Anderson's father-in-law, was born in Furna, Graubunden Canton, Switzerland, on Dec. 9, 1839. His parents were Andreas Baertsch and Ursula Lari. The parents and eight children, including Christ, immigrated to Wabasha Co. in 1854. In 1865 Christ bought his farm in Hyde Park Township 2 1/2 miles north of Hammond. Christ died in 1920 and is buried in Pleasant Prairie Cemetery there. We wonder what happened to his parents? Did his Mother marry Michael Feury/Fury in Hammond/Hyde Park? We would appreciate any information on these people. We are collaborating with a cousin of ours. Her Elizabeth Baertsch Walker is a sister of our Christ Baertsch/Burch. Thank you. Grant and Marge
Anderson, William H. (page 575), proprietor of the Anderson House, at Wabasha, and one of the city’s leading citizens, is doing his share toward the general prosperity of the community by conducting an excellent hotel, which by its hospitality and service creates in the minds of strangers a most excellent impression of the whole community. He was born in Rome Township, Oneida County, N.Y., March 12, 1846, son of Levi and Harriett (Carpenter) Anderson. His father dying when he was 12 years, leaving a large family, young William H. went to work when he was 14 and contributed his earnings toward the family support. In 1866 he came west and reached Rochester by rail. From there he set out on foot for Wabasha County, and for several years worked as a farm hand in Zumbro Township. In 1867 he purchased 80 acres of wild land, four miles southeast of Zumbro Falls. He built a small board house, and set to work with a will to clear and develop a good farm. To his original tract he added a 160-acre tract and a 40-acre one, making in all a place of 280 acres. In addition to his farming operations, Mr. Anderson made a specialty for many years of buying and shipping cattle. In 1896 he retired from farm work and bought the old hotel at Mazeppa, in this county. In 1900 he moved the old building, and on the site erected the present commodious brick-veneered building. In 1913 he sold out, and purchased the old Hurd House, in Wabasha, a pioneer hostelry which had been erected in 1855 by B. F. Hurd, and enlarged and remodeled some years ago by Mr. Hurd’s son-in-law, Ziba Goss. This hotel, Mr. Anderson has since conducted, ably assisted by his wife and daughters. He changed the name to the Anderson House, and wrought many improvements and alterations. He is a genial, competent man, of wide acquaintance, and is highly regarded by the traveling public of the Northwest, as well as by the citizens of his own city. In 1915, desiring to establish for his family a home life which even the excellent hotel conditions could not entirely furnish, he erected across from the hotel, one of the most beautiful residences in the city. It is delightfully situated in picturesque grounds on the banks of the Mississippi, and is of much architectural beauty wrought in tile and stucco. The furnishings are tasteful and restful throughout. Here he and his family find peace and contentment away from the strenuous duties of hotel management, and here, in future years, he and his wife plan to spend their declining days. Mr. Anderson was married in 1885 to Ida Hoffman, of Zumbro Township, and this union has been blessed with four children: Ora, Verna, Belle and Effie. Ora died in childhood. Verna married Joseph McCaffery, and has two children, Jean Elizabeth and Ann. Mr. McCaffery for the past 14 years has been in the railroad mail service on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, between St. Paul and Chicago. He and his wife live two blocks from the hotel. The daughters of Mr. Anderson have been given unusual educational advantages, not only in the Wabasha County schools, but also in the College of St. Theresa in Winona. Mr. Anderson has been unusually fortunate in his family life. His wife has been a true helpmeet in all his endeavors, and now takes entire charge of the hotel kitchen. The daughters are competent business managers thoroughly versed in all departments of hotel management, in kitchen, dining room, guest rooms and office. All are interested in church work. Mrs. Anderson and the Misses Belle and Effie are members of the Episcopal church, while Mrs. and Mrs. McCaffery are members of the Catholic church. Levi and Harriett (Carpenter) Anderson, parents of William H. Anderson, were natives of this country, of Scotch descent. They were married in Oneida County, M. Y. There Levi Anderson died in 1858. His widow later came west and died in Wabasha County. In the family were seven children, four sons and three daughters: William H., Abram J., Fairfax and Welcome, Minica, Betsy and Phoebe. Abram J. lives in Wabasha County; Fairfax in Carrington, N. D.; and Welcome in Edgerly, N. D., all being prosperous farmers. Minica died in young womanhood. Betsy lives in Sacred Heart, Minn., and is the wife of D. H. Day. Phoebe is the wife of H. W. McGeorge of Washington, D. C. The Anderson House, in Wabasha, owned and managed by William H. Anderson and his family, is a hotel widely known for its excellence. It is well situated and provides most excellent accommodations in every department. Aside from the office, reception rooms, parlors and dining rooms, it has 45 sleeping rooms, is well equipped in the way of baths and the like, and everything possible is done for the comfort of the guests.
Visit the present-day Anderson House site. If you make reservations, don't forget to reserve one of the Anderson House's lovely kitties for company in your room during your stay!
Anding, Moritz (page 658), one of the hardy pioneers of Wabasha County, now deceased, who developed a farm in Gillford Township, was a native of Germany, where he learned and followed the trade of copper. He was there married to Dorothy Clemenhagen, and continued his residence in his native land until 1853, when he came with his family to America, locating in Iowa County, Wis., not far from the village of Highland. The nearest place worth calling a market was Galena, Ill., 50 miles distant, whence with an ox team he hauled his farm products and brought back necessary supplies. When he arrived at Highland from Germany he had practically no money. The trip had been a long one, lasting nearly three months, as they had crossed the ocean in a sailing vessel, and as there was no railroad from Madison, Wis., to Highland, they hired a team to transport them and their luggage. The hire of this wagon and team cost $25, and the driver refused to reload their things until he had been paid. This Mr. Anding was unable to do, and the neighbors, who proved very kind, came to his assistance. His family then numbered seven people, and to support them he worked at whatever he could find to do, laying stone, plastering, or anything else. In the spring of 1866 he came with them to Wabasha County, Minn., having previously bought some wild land in section 13 Gillford Township, and his son William having come the previous fall and being already on the ground. William in the meanwhile had been splitting rails and fencing the farm. With his son's assistance Mr. Anding grubbed and cleared the land and built a frame house, hauling the lumber from Read's Landing with horses, as he had bought two horse teams from Wisconsin. On this farm Mr. Anding lived seven years, at the end of which time he sold 80 acres of it to his son William, and the rest to a neighbor, and moved with his wife to Read's Landing. There Mrs. Anding died in the fall of 1878, and Mr. Anding subsequently married a lady of Minneapolis, where he took up his residence and died in August, 1897. By his first wife, Dorothy, he had eight children: Mary, now the widow of Fred Stahman, formerly of Lake Township, Wabasha County; Georgiana, who married Charles Hornbogen, a carpenter of Read's Landing; Frederick, deceased; William, of Gillford Township; Mary, the widow of Capt. Henry Slocum of Winona; Charles, a resident of Winona; Herman, an engineer who died at Pierre, S.D., where his family is still living; and Lizette, wife of Edwin Porter of St. Paul. Mr. Anding was a hard worker and a useful man in his township, ready to lend a hand to any project for the public welfare. He donated and hauled the lumber for the first schoolhouse, which he also built, with the assistance of Sam McCullom. His son William, then only a boy, drove the team which hauled the first load of lumber for the schoolhouse. Mr. Anding also served as first treasurer of the school district, and that office has always been held by some member of the family, his grandson, William H., being now the incumbent.
Anding, Charles F.(669), proprietor of one of the best farms in Gillford Township, situated in section 23, was born in this township, October 21, 1873, son of William and Magdalena (Kirchner) Anding. He is a grandson of Moritz Anding, who settled in section 13, Gillford Township, in 1866, and is therefore a member of one of the pioneer families of the county. His literary education was acquired in the school of district No. 19, and he subsequently attended the Minnesota Agricultural College at St. Paul from the fall of 1893 to the spring of 1895. Afterwards, until the fall of 1900, he continued to assist his father on the home farm, and in the last year mentioned started in for himself on his present farm in section 23. This farm contains 160 acres, of which 140 acres are under cultivation, the soil being very productive. There is a comfortable frame house, and in 1920 Mr. Anding built a modern frame barn, the main part of the building (for cattle) measuring 40 by 80 by 12 feet, with a full tile basement of 8 feet, and the best steel equipment, to which he added an "L" 24 by 40 by 12 feet, for horses, also equipped in modern style, and with running water in every stall. In the same year he built a tile silo 14 by 47 feet in size. Mr. Anding does diversified farming, growing grain and hay and other products of the soil, and breeding pure blood and high grade Holstein cattle, pure blood Poland-China hogs and White Plymouth Rock Poultry. A thoroughly practical man in his line of business, he has made good financial progress and is well to do. He was one of the organizers and builders of the Zumbro Falls Telephone Company, which he served as president for three years and in which he is now a stockholder; is a member of the Zumbro Falls Shipping Association, and has stock in the Farmers' Elevator Co. of the same place. He has served nine years as a member of the Gillford Town Board, and has been clerk of school district No. 88 since 1902. On December 13, 1905, Mr. Anding was united in marriage with Florence E. Boyce, who was born in Gillford Township, August 18, 1884, daughter of Frederick and Mary (Flannigan) Boyce. OF this union four children have been born: Floyd C., on January 4, 1907; Sylvester F., January 8, 1909; Mildred F., December 25, 1910; and Moritz W., November 20, 1915. Mr. Anding and his family are affiliated religiously with the Jacksonville congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran church. In politics he is Independent. Frederick and Mary Boyce, the parents of Mrs. Anding, were both born in Wabasha County, Minnesota, and were prosperous farmers here. Mrs. Boyce died in 1903, and in 1911 Mr. Boyce sold his farm in this county and moved to Dodge Center, Dodge County, Minn., where he owns a farm on which he is now residing.
Anding, Sr., William (page 659), a leading citizen of Gillford Township, where he was in former years actively engaged in agricultural pursuits, but is now retired, was born in Hesse, Germany, March 16, 1847, son of Moritz and Dorothy (Clemenhagen) Anding. He was a young child when he accompanied his parents to America, and resided with them for a short time near Highland, Wis. In the fall of 1855 he came alone to Gillford Township, Wabasha County, Minn., to split rails and fence a farm, or tract of wild land, that his father had purchased here in section 13, and was joined by the rest of the family in the following spring. This farm he helped his father to develop, and when his parent's moved to Read's Landing, about 1873, William Anding bought 80 acres of the home farm, where he has since resided. His original 80 acres, however, have been increased by him to 400, by additional purchases, and he has developed an excellent farm. Industrious and frugal, he achieved success, and continued actively engaged in agricultural work until 1905, when he retired, and has since led a life of comparative leisure. His son, William H., operates the original 80 acres of the old homestead. William Anding, Sr., was married March 19, 1872, to Magdalena Kirchner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Kirchner of Glasgow Township, Wabasha County. She was born in La Crosse County, September 16, 1854, being the first white child born in that locality. She died June 23, 1918, after 46 years of happy married life, and was laid to rest in Jacksonville Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. William Anding, Sr., had five children, all of whom are now living and prosperous. They are as follows: Charles F., born October 21, 1873, now a resident of Gillford Township; William H., born August 14, 1875, also of Gillford Township; Martha E., born April 23, 1878, who married Frederick Engel of West Albany Township, but is now living in Elgin Township; Adeline M., born December 23, 1882, who is at home keeping house for her father; and Lillian A., born April 8, 1893, who is now Mrs. Edward Wieck of Gillford Township. All these children were given a common school education, and Charles F., in addition, attended agricultural school for two winters. Mr. Anding is a member and liberal supporter of the Lutheran church, which he has served for years as treasurer.
World War ~ Homefront Worker
Anding, William H. (page 663), an enterprising and successful farmer of Gillford Township, a member of a pioneer family, was born in this township, in section 13, August 14, 1875, son of William and Magdalena (Kirchner) Anding. He was educated in the District School No. 19, which he attended up to the age of 19 years, and reared on the home farm, assisting his father until the fall of 1904. He now owns 160 acres in section 13, including 80 acres of the original homestead founded by his grandfather in 1865. The land is all improved, and there is a good stucco residence of two stories and 11 rooms, which was erected in 1915. His barn measures 36 by 60 by 18 feet, with a 10-foot full stone basement for stock, and among the other buildings are a granary 30 by 40 by 10, a shed for the threshing machine 16 by 26 by 10, a tool shed, 30 by 40 by 10, a poultry house and hog house combined 16 by 34 by 8, a barn for young stock 16 by 24 by 8, and a garage 12 by 18 by 8, all substantial structures of modern type. Mr. Anding has also a good equipment, which includes a Case tractor and a Case thresher, and his farm is one of the best in the township. He is a successful breeder of purebred Shorthorn cattle and Poland-China hogs, and is recognized as a hard worker and good citizen. He took an active and leading part in war work, putting his division over in every drive. In politics he is a Republican, and is serving as treasurer of school district no. 19, an office which has come down in the family from his grandfather. Mr. Anding was married November 10, 1904, to Anna Holts, who was born in Belvidere, Goodhue County, Minn., December 13, 1882, daughter of David and Anna Holts, now residents of Gillford Township. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anding: Allen C., July 31, 1905; William C., April 7, 1907; and Irene L., April 7, 1910. Mr. Anding and his family affiliated religiously with the Jacksonville congregation of the Evangelical church.
Angelbeck, John J. (page 676), an active and successful farmer of Highland Township, was born in Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, Minn., February 12, 1880, son of Henry and Louise (Evers) Angelbeck. He was reared on the home farm and acquired his education in the district school, and he accompanied the family when in 1897 they moved to sections 45 and 9, Highland Township. Up to the age of 27 years he was engaged in assisting his father. Then for two years he operated the home farm under rental, subsequently buying it. Here he has since followed general farming and stock raising, breeding cattle, hogs and sheep, and with the intention of specializing in hogs, Holstein cattle and sheep in the future. And active citizen, he was supervisor of Highland Township two years. He is a Catholic in religion and a member of the Knights of Columbus. Mt. Angelbeck was married at Wabasha in 1907 to Caroline Passe, daughter of Herman and Anna (Schut) Passe. Her parents were natives of Germany who came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, two years before the Angelbeck family, settling in Glasgow Township on a farm. Later they removed to a farm within the city limits of Wabasha, where they are now living. Mr. And Mrs. Angelbeck have eight children: Mary, Margaret, Joseph, Agnes, Albert, Bernadine, Clara and Paul, all residing at home and four attending school.
Angelbeck, Henry (page 675), now living retired in Plainview after an active
agricultural career in Highland Township, was born in Germany, where he grew to manhood.
Like other German youths, he was obliged to serve in the army, and took part in the
Franco-German war of 1870. In 1872 he came to the United States, first locating in Cincinnati,
where he remained for a year. Then coming to Wabasha County, Minnesota, he bought and
settled on 160 acres of land in Glasgow Township. The tract was wild and largely covered with
timber, which he cleared off, first building a small log house. In 1897 he moved to Highland
Township, buying 175 acres in sections 4 and 9. On this farm in 1897 he built a new frame house
of nine rooms; a barn 30 by 68 feet, and a granary 30 by 34, with a lean-to 14 by 34. Here he
farmed successfully until 1909, in which year he retired and removed to Plainview. Henry
Angelbeck married Louise Evers, who, like himself, was born in Germany. They have had a
family of six children, of whom four are now living: Mary, wife of Frank Deming, Jr.; Lizzie, wife
of George Passe of Merrifield, Minn.; and Theresa, wife of William Passe of the same place.
Those deceased are Henry and Anna. Mr. Angelbeck was formerly supervisor in Glasgow
Township. In religion he and his wife are Catholics, and are people well known and highly
(The biography refers to six children but only lists five, omitting John J. whose biography appears above. It's interesting that three of the Angelbeck children married three Passe siblings.)
Appel, Frank J. (page 429), a well known and prosperous farmer of Highland Township, proprietor of the old Appel farm established by his parents at an early date in the history of this county, was born on this farm, located in section 9, November 7, 1874, son of Stephen and Elizabeth (Hillenbrandt) Appel. He has always resided on the homestead and in his boyhood attended the local school. Subsequently he took a course in the agricultural department of Minnesota University. For a number of years he was engaged in assisting his father, both on the farm and in the latter’s grist mill. After the father’s death he bought the homestead, where he is profitably carrying on general farming and stock raising. Active as a citizen, he has been town clerk of Highland for seventeen years, and a member of the school board for some years. He has also served eight years as secretary of the Plainview Farmers’ Mutual Fire insurance Co., and was formerly president of the Plainview Telephone Co. Fraternally he belongs to the Knights of Columbus, the Woodmen and the Equitable Fraternal Union, also to the Greenwood Prairie Old Settlers’ Association. Mr. Appel was married at Quincy, Ill., October 28, 1903, to Margaret King, daughter of Thomas and Ellen (Smyth) King, the parents being natives of Ireland who came early to the United States, settling in Quincy, Ill., where they spent the rest of their lives. They had seven children, five of whom grew to maturity. Mr. And Mrs. Appel are the parents of three children: Frances M., Elizabeth M. D., and Lawrence L., all living at home, and the daughters attending the high school at Wabasha. Mr. Appel and his family are members of the Catholic church.
Appel, Stephen (page 428), one of the early settlers and developers of Highland Township, now passed away, was born in Germany and came to this country with his mother when twelve years old, settling in Pennsylvania. In 1859, as a young man, he came to Wabasha county, Minnesota, after reaching La Crosse, Wis., making the journey on foot to Wabasha county. Here he homesteaded 160 acres of land in section 9, Highland Township, the tract being partly prairie and partly timber land, and without improvements. The Indians were quite numerous in the vicinity, but gave him no trouble. He met with one early discouragement, however, after building his first residence, a small one-room house. He was baking bread one day, when the house caught fire and burned down, all the money he had, about $15, being consumed in the flames. He replaced the building with a larger house, which now forms a part of the present residence, occupied by his son, Frank J. The rest of his life was spent on the farm, where he followed general farming, and he died in 1914. In the seventies he bought what was known as the Watkins Mill, which he operated as a grist mill for many years, it becoming known as the Appel Mill. He was a public spirited citizen of his township, serving as a member and clerk of the board of supervisors, and as a member of the school board. He was an advocate of good roads and of everything else calculated to benefit the community in which he lived. Mr. Appel married Elizabeth Hillenbrandt, who also was a native of Germany, their marriage being celebrated in Wabasha village. They spent fifty years of happy wedded life together and in 1913 celebrated their golden wedding. Mrs. Elizabeth Appel survived her husband about six years, dying in 1920. Of their family of eleven children, eight are now living: Katie, wife of John McMillin, of Theilman; John A., a farmer in Plainview Township; William, who is now in San Francisco; Edward and August, who reside at Metaline Falls, Washington; Ida, wife of Arthur Melzner; Amanda, residing at Butte, Mont., and Frank J., the present proprietor of the old homestead in Highland Township. Of the three children deceased, Louis died when a baby, Stephen, Jr., died of influenza in 1919, and Elizabeth, who married Gordon Campbell, of the state of Washington, died in 1919. All are buried in the family lot in Conception Cemetery.
Appel, William L. (page 633), well known in former days as an industrious and enterprising farmer and sterling citizen of Highland Township, and not yet forgotten, was born in Baden, Germany, September 18, 1842, son of Adam and Katherine (Eckert) Appel. He was young when he accompanied his parents to America, and as a boy attended school in Mercer County, Pa. Subsequently he learned the blacksmith’s trade in Greenville, that state, which he followed there as a journeyman until 1866, when he came to Wabasha County, Minn. For three years he followed his trade in Highland Township, and at the end of that time turned his attention to farming, buying 205 acres in section 8. The land was raw and covered with timber, which he cleared off, also erecting a good frame house and other farm buildings. He continued successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death on the farm, July 29, 1910. He was a man highly esteemed and much regretted. Mr. Appel was married November 11, 1869, at Wabasha, to Margaret Arvilla Harncame, daughter of George and Elizabeth Harncame. Her parents were natives of Pennsylvania and came to Minnesota in 1855 among the early settlers, locating first in Wabasha, where they remained five years. In 1860 they took land in section 6, Highland Township, but later traded that farm to Henry Hampe for a farm in Cook’s Valley, where they spent the rest of their lives, Mr. Harncame dying January 6, 1876, and his wife November 30, 1887. They had a family of eight children, of whom there are now only three survivors: Katherine, wife of Darwin Brainard, of Glenwood, Minn.; Mary E., wife of Peter Rasmussen of Valley City, N. D., and Margaret Arvilla, widow of William L. Appel. Those deceased are: James, Henrietta, Matilda, Alice and Sarah. Henrietta married Peter Rasmussen, who is also deceased. Matilda married Peter Hall, who is also deceased. Alice married a Mr. Runnels, and Sarah was the wife of Henry Leisen. Since Mr. Appel’s death Mrs. Appel has rented out the farm, occupying a part of the house when not visiting her sisters.
Arendt, Nicholas (page 696), in former years one of the best known and most popular citizens of Chester Township, where he owned and operated a good farm, was born at New Trier, Dakota County, Minn., January 6, 1871, son of Philip and Catherine (Ludowissi) Arendt. When quite young he moved with his parents to Belle Chester, where he attended district school. After beginning industrial life he worked a number of years for his father, then, in 1896, he started out for himself, renting 240 acres in section 17, Chester Township, where he farmed until 1901. He then moved on to the Philip Arendt farm of 160 acres, and having also secured 100 acres in section 7, engaged in general farming and stock raising, in which occupations he continued successfully until his death, which occurred November 28, 1914, as the result of an accident. On Friday morning, the day before, he was sweeping the bin-top of his grain elevator, when he accidentally stepped off. He fell 12 feet, striking on his abdomen across a joist. From the joist he fell another six feet on an automobile which was just below. The fall caused injuries from which he died at 2 a.m., Saturday. During the day he was conscious and told the circumstances of the accident, giving directions to his wife and children for taking care of the farm and his personal affairs. Funeral services were held Monday morning from St. Mary's Catholic church at Belvidere, Father Funke officiating, and interment was made in the church cemetery. A large throng of relatives and friends attended the last rites and followed his remains to the grave, the funeral being one of the largest ever held at Belle Chester. The entire community was shocked and saddened by this calamity, which had removed in so sudden and tragic a manner one of its most respected citizens. Mr. Arendt was ever ready to aid a good cause, either with his purse or through personal service, and business interests were large and successfully conducted. He was vice president of the Peoples State Bank and the Farmers Elevator of Mazeppa, and interested in many other undertakings, all of which profited by his support and counsel. In his death his family lost a kind and loving husband and father, the church a faithful member, and the general community one of its upbuilders and public spirited citizens. Mr. Arendt was married at Belle Chester, Minn., on November 24, 1896, to Bertha Reiland, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Reiland. Her parents were natives of Germany who, on coming to the United States, settled first in Wisconsin, and afterwards in Rolling Stone, Winona County, Minn., in which vicinity they spent the remainder of their lives in farming. Bother are now deceased, the mother dying first on March 29, 1893, the father on August 8, 1914, seven months after the death of Mr. Arendt. They had five children: Michael N., Margaret, Anna, Mary and Bertha. To Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Arendt ten children were born, as follows: Martha K., June 12, 1898; Philip J., February 4, 1900; Edmond S., January 1, 1902; Hedwig A., March 8, 1903; Lawrence M., August 28, 1904; Walter P., June 23, 1906; Clarence H., November 13, 1907; Clemens J., July 1, 1910; Leonard P., December 2, 1912; and Christine H., August 19, 1915.
Arends, Arend (page 665), who since 1915 has been operating on a farm of 160 acres in section 29, Watopa Township, was born in Carroll County, Iowa, October 18, 1878, son of Otto and Joanna Arends. The father went to Iowa from Illinois and was there engaged in farming until his death in 1880. His wife, who was born in Germany, came to this country when six years old. She survived him and is now living in Iowa. They had four children, Amanda, Riender, Arend and Christina. Arend Arends remained on the home farm with his mother after his father's death until 1890. He then began working out on farms in Iowa by the month, and so continued until 1904, after which, until 1906, he rented farms in Mower County, Minn., subsequently buying a farm of 160 acres in that county, on which he erected a barn 40 by 50 feet. He carried on general farming and stock raising there until 1915, when he disposed of that place and came to Watopa Township, Wabasha County, and purchased his present farm. Here he is doing well as a general farmer and stock raiser, and has become a prominent citizen of the township, being now chairman of the town board and a member of the school board of district No. 81. He is connected religiously with the Presbyterian church, and fraternally with the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Arends was married, January 16, 1905, to Mary Barwind, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Barwind. Her father was born in Wisconsin, and spent his active career in farming and stock raising. He is now retired and residing at Stacyville, Iowa. Mrs. Barwind was born in Iowa, August 7, 1860, and has always resided in that state. The children in the Barwind family were Mary, Mina, Emma, Jacob and Frederick, all now living in Iowa except Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Arends have had seven children, who were born as follows: Roland A., February 14, 1906; Marvin G., October 10, 1908; Ella J. A., October 26, 1910; Esther M. A., November 23, 1911; Beulah M., August 22, 1914; Arend J., August 20, 1915; and Reuben R., June 30, 1919. Arend J. died in infancy, October 25, 1918.
Arens, Matthew (page 415), a member of the firm of McDonough & Arens, general merchants of Kellogg, is one of the live business men of this thriving community, and a citizen held in high esteem. He was born in Greenfield Township, Wabasha County, December 29, 1893, son of John and Amelia (Weber) Arens. The father was a native of the Duchy of Luxemburg, and the mother of Baden-Baden, Germany. On coming to Wabasha County they took land in Greenfield Township, where they are now living on a 160-acres farm, engaged in general agriculture and stock raising. They are the parents of five children, all now living in Wabasha County, namely: Emil, Barbara, Michael, Margaret and Matthew. Matthew Arens was brought up on his parents' farm and in his boyhood attended both the parochial and district schools. While attending school in Wabasha he worked in his brother's store there. Subsequently he became clerk for John Costello & Co., with whom he remained four years. In 1916 he entered into his present business as a partner with James McDonough, and is now in the full tide of a prosperous career as one of the leading merchants of Kellogg, the firm handling all the various kinds of goods forming the stock of an up-to-date general store. Mr. Arens was married November 7, 1916, to Bessie Odell, daughter of Bert and Margaret Odell, of Kellogg. He and his wife have one son, Matthew Odell. Mr. Arens and his family are members of the Catholic church, and he belongs also to the Knights of Columbus. He is known far and wide as a successful merchant, a good citizen and a true American.
Atkinson, Oliver P. (page 674), now deceased, was for many years a highly respected farmer and citizen of Gillford Township. He was born on Green Prairie, Olmsted County, Minnesota, February 13, 1861, son of John and Sarah Atkinson. The parents were natives of England who came to Minnesota in the latter fifties, settling on the farm in Olmsted County on which their son Oliver was born. In 1862 they came to Gillford Township, Wabasha county, buying a farm of 160 acres on section 33, the land being all wild. This land they developed into a farm, the frame house which they erected being now occupied by their grandson, Allen J. Atkinson. Oliver P. Atkinson grew to manhood on this farm and was educated in the district school. In time the home property came into his possession and he continued his residence on it, engaged in general farming, until his death on June 1, 1903, an event deeply regretted, as he was a man of wide acquaintance and popular throughout the township and the vicinity. He and his wife were members of the congregational church at Zumbro Falls, and for a number of years he served on the school board of his district. Mr. Atkinson was married, March 9, 1881, to Martha Warren, who was born in Gillford Township, this county, December 15, 1861, daughter of Frank and Margaret Warren. Of this union seven children were born: Leander, July 29, 1883; Colon P., May 10, 1885; Vernon W., July 3, 1887; Allen J. November 14, 1889; Lela, August 25, 1892; Pearl, May 29, 1898, and Forrest, November 29, 1900. Leander and Lela are now deceased; Colon is a farmer in Zumbro Township; Pearl is now Mrs. Harry Devery, her husband being a farmer in Zumbro Township, and Forrest is a farmer in Chester Township. After her husband’s death Mrs. Atkinson, with the help of her sons, operated the farm until 1909, when she moved to Zumbro Falls, where she resided until her death July 2, 1920. Since 1909 the farm has been operated by her son, Allen J. Atkinson, who is now one of the active and successful young farmers of Gillford Township. He was married June 19, 1918, to Anna Bluhm, who was born in Zumbro Township May 14, 1900, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Gust Bluhm. Allen J. Atkinson and wife have one child, Earl, born April 6, 1919.