Gage, Herbert G. (page 606), one of the best known farmers in Watopa Township, operating a farm of 360 acres in section 36, which formerly belonged to his parents' estate, was born in section 35, this township and county, September 14, 1869, son of John and Eleanor (Probasco) Gage. He resided on the home farm until reaching the age of 21 years, his education being acquired in the district school. Then going to North Dakota, he became associated there with his brother, James Edward, and for a while had charge of one of the elevators of the firm at Valley City, and also of others. In 1893 he went to Idaho, where for two years he was in the grain business for himself. On his mother's death in 1895 he returned to the old home in Watopa Township, Wabasha County, and took over that part of the farm which he is now operating as general farmer and stock raiser. He is also a stockholder in the local creamery and telephone company. Mr. Gage was married in 1897 to Sarah Arnold, of Rushford, Minn., daughter of William and Mary (Kelly) Arnold, who were pioneer settlers on Lewiston Prairie, Winona County. She was born in 1868 and died April 4, 1917. Mr. and Mrs. Gage had but one child, who died at birth. He has an adopted boy, Murray Arnold Gage, who was born in North Dakota in 1909, and who is a son of Harry and Vyna (Roe) Arnold, the father, Harry Arnold, having been a brother of Mrs. Gage. The boy's mother died on the Gage farm in the spring of 1911. Both Mr. Gage and his wife were baptized in the Episcopal church. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America. At times he has taken an active part in local affairs, and formerly served several terms as town assessor. His education has been improved by travel, and he is a man widely known and highly esteemed.
Gage, John (page 604), one of the notable pioneers of Wabasha County, who passed away some 20 years ago, was a native of Enfield, New Hampshire, where his father was a contractor for barrel staves. At an early age John became his father's assistant. After reaching manhood he married Eleanor Probasco, who was born in New Jersey of Holland Dutch ancestry, and was reared in the Dutch Reformed church. John Gage and wife took a farm in the Genessee Valley, New York State, where they remained until 1855. About that time there was a considerable migration to the Northwest, and Mr. Gage resolved to investigate the opportunities for obtaining new and virgin land whereon to build a home. Accordingly he set out for Minnesota, driving a team all the way, and on arriving in Wabasha County, pre-empted a tract in section 35, Whitewater Valley, Watopa Township. This done, he sent for his wife and family, who arrived in the following year. Soon he bought more land in section 36, and from time to time increased his holdings until he had in all about 1,100 acres of rather rough land. His first home here was a log house which he built in section 35, but at a later date he erected a good-sized, substantial brick house of two stories, in the same section, which is now occupied by his son, Warren, and is still, perhaps, the most pretentious building in the vicinity. In erecting this structure he followed the example of two of his neighbors, Henry Hopkins and William Weaver, all three building large brick houses, the cost of which, however, they found a heavy drain on their resources. Besides farming, John Gage entered into contracting of various kinds, building the first wing dam on the upper Mississippi river, and also several sections of the Winona & St. Paul railroad, his sons helping to carry on the farm. He was also an active worker in the ranks of the Republican party, and one of its leaders in his district. His activities in this direction led to his election as representative to the state legislature, in which he served in the session of 1869-70. In 1895 he suffered a bereavement in the death of his wife, whom he survived but a few years, his own death occurring in 1899. They had in all a family of eleven children, of whom four died young. Those who grew to maturity were: Amanda, who was several times married, and who is now living in Portland, Ore.; James Edward, Charles A., Hattie, Warren C., Wells, and Herbert G. James Edward, who became a prominent grain man in Minneapolis, died in 1908. He married Elizabeth Collier, of Wabasha, and left two children, John Charles and Joseph P., the former of whom is now engaged in the grain business in Winnipeg, Canada, and had the honor of being selected by the Canadian government to have entire charge of the wheat supply of Canada during the recent World War. Charles A. is now living retired in Page, North Dakota, to which state he went when a young man and took land. He married Ida Towne of Wabasha County, Minn., and has had five children, the survivors of whom are Wells, John and Susan. Hattie is the wife of Frank Towns, and resides in Valley City, N. D. She has a large family of children, among them being Myrtle, Warren, Wells, Ray and Marian. Warren G. is now a farmer in section 35, Watopa Township, residing in the brick house built by his father, as already mentioned. Wells went to Idaho at the age of 21 and engaged in the grain business at Genessee. At the time of the Spanish-American war, in 1898, he became lieutenant of a local company, and being sent to the Philippine Islands, served there for two years. He has since resided at Bellingham, Wash. He married Kittie Maynard and has four children.
Gage, Warren C. (page 604), a successful farmer residing in section 35, Watopa Township, is a representative of one of the best known pioneer families of Wabasha County. He was born on his present farm January 9, 1865, son of John and Eleanor (Probasco) Gage, and has resided here most of his life, with but brief intervals of absence. On this farm he has made many improvements, but the imposing brick house in which he and his family live was erected by his father, and has long been one of the historic landmarks in this part of the county. In addition to the management of his somewhat extensive farm, Mr. Gage is manager of, and a stockholder in, the creamery at Weaver, and is also a stockholder in the local telephone company. An influential citizen of his township, he is widely known as a man who has shown public spirit on all questions affecting its interests and the interests of the county generally, and his word is known to be as good as his bond. Mr. Gage married Ellen Rachel Powell, who was born on Long Creek, north of Plainview, in Oakwood Township, Wabasha County, daughter of Henry and Hannah (Terry) Powell. The father and mother were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Indiana, but were married in Wabasha County, Minnesota. Their children were: Annie Maria, wife of Eli Guptil, and residing at Cotton Creek, S. D.; Henrietta, wife of Hall Stevens, of Chamberlain, S. D.; Mary, who married George Pretzer, but is now deceased; Ellen Rachel, now Mrs. Warren C. Gage; John, who is married and resides at Ola, S. D.; Charles, also married, who resides at Turtle River; William, residing in South Dakota, who has been twice married; and Hannah, now Mrs. Art Nesson, of Brookings, S. D. It will thus be seen that most of the members of the Powell family have followed the westward trend of migration, making their homes in one of the newer states of the great Northwest, where they are engaged in the important work of home building. Mr. and Mrs. Warren C. Gage are the parents of nine children, namely: Bert, born September 10, 1886; Grace May, December 4, 1887; John, July 10, 1890; Frank, November 28, 1891; Vera, June 23, 1896; Rhoba, October 6, 1897, Joseph, January 29, 1899; Eleanor, December 24, 1901, and Violet, June 8, 1906. Bert married Addie Lorenz, of Weaver, and resides in Minneiska. He and his wife have three children. Grace May is the wife of Wallace Putnam and the mother of three sons, two of them twins. John married Violet Putnam and has two children. Vera married Charles Bergler and lives in Winona County. Thus is the third generation growing up in and around the old historic home, which bids fair to stand for many years longer, being kept in excellent condition by its present occupant and his wife, who have no lack of youthful hands to help them in the routine duties of everyday life.
Gaebe, Otto H. (page 431), proprietor of the Millville Creamery, where he is successfully engaged in the manufacture of butter and ice-cream, was born in Addieville, Washington County, Ill., September 19, 1885, son of William and Dorothy (Detring) Gaebe. The parents were natives of Germany who came to America with their parents, the father at the age of 16 and the mother at that of twelve. They settled in Illinois. After the breaking out of the Civil War in 1861, William Gaebe, then 19 years old, enlisted on President Lincoln's first call for 120,000 men, in the Ninth Illinois regiment. He served three years with Grant's army, was wounded at Shiloh, and took part in other engagements. After returning home he engaged in farming and subsequently conducted a general store. About the year 1900 he moved to North Dakota, in which state he died in 1912. His wife is still living. They had twelve children, eight sons and four daughters, none of whom are living , namely: Henry, Christ, John, Edward, Frank, Otto, Minnie, Carrie and Mollie. Minnie is the wife of Henry Nadtler and lives in North Dakota. Carrie, who is the wife of William Lehdey, and Mollie, who is the wife of Fred Tellmann, also reside in that state. Those deceased are William, Fred and Lydia. The mother now lives with her son Frank at Salem, N. D. Otto H. Gaebe was reared on his parents' farm in Illinois, where he attended district school. He went with the family to North Dakota and for a number of years remained on the home farm there. At the age of twenty he found employment in the creamery at New Salem, N. D., and liking this occupation, he resolved to perfect himself in the business, and accordingly took a course in the Wisconsin Dairy School at Madison, where he learned butter-making. On April 12, 1919, he came to Millville, and bought, the Millville Creamery. In the winter of 1919-20 he took a course in ice-cream making at the University of Minnesota, and in addition to butter-making, he now manufactures ice cream for the trade in the surrounding towns. He has established himself on a firm business footing and is making satisfactory progress. Mr. Gaebe was married in Addievill, Illinois, in 1907, to Minnie Garlich, daughter of Rudolph and Mary Garlich, her parents being natives of Illinois, but of German descent. Mr. and Mrs. Gaebe have three children, Dorothy, Ralph and Verna, all residing at home.
Geim, Valentine (page 495), a retired farmer residing in Elgin Township, where he is well known and respected, was born December 15, 1847, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, son of John and Lucinda (Brundberg) Geim. He was quite young when he accompanied his parents to Wabasha County, Minn., and was educated in District School No. 56, Elgin Township. After working for his father until 1870, he bought the farm of 80 acres in section 4, Elgin Township, built a new barn and outbuildings, and was actively engaged in agriculture here until his retirement in 1909. A good practical farmer, he labored industriously to improve his place, and had a successful career. He was married, December 23, 1875, to Mellisa Dull, by whom he has had ten children: Mary, Esther, Lydia, James, Oscar, Rosa, Orpha, Jessie, Elmer and Lottie. Oscar and Rosa are now deceased. Esther is the wife of Joe L. Wurst, now of Rochester; Mary, the wife of George Hanson, of Evan, Minn.; Orpha is now Mrs. W. B. Yunker of Rochester, and Lottie is the wife of Roland Briggs of Rochester, Minn.
Notes from Fellow Genealogist: I'm interested in the Bio of Valentine Geim (Giem). I believe he is the son of Johann Christian Geim and Lucinda Brandenburg/Gooden/Snyder/Geim. Johann was one of my ancestors. Thanks very much, Cindy
Gengnagel, Jacob L. (page 569), one of the leading merchants of Wabasha city, proprietor of an up-to-date furniture store, and who is also one of the present county commissioners of Wabasha County, was born in this city, September 8, 1875, son of Jacob and Paulina (Affeld) Gengnagel. The father, who was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, in 1832, came to America in 1849, and in Albany, N. Y., learned the furniture making business. In 1855 he came west to Dubuque, Iowa, from which place in the following years he removed to Wabasha, Minn. As there was then no opening here in his trade, he engaged in carpenter work, and was thus occupied for three years, or until 1859, when he went to New Orleans, where he was living when the Civil War broke out. Having no desire to serve in the Confederate army, he seized an early opportunity and on June 30, 1862, enlisted in Company L., Third Massachusetts Cavalry, at New Orleans. He was in the service for 18 months, and was finally discharged on account of disabilty, having received a gunshot wound in his right elbow. In the fall of 1864 he returned to Wabasha, Minn., and established a furniture business on Second street, between Pembroke and Bailey streets, both manufacturing and dealing in furniture. On November 21, 1865, he married Paulina Affeld, of Wabasha, and in a few years a family was growing up around them, the eldest son, Charles, subsequently becoming his father's business partner. In 1895 Jacob Gengnagel bought a farm in Cook's Valley, Greenfield Township,Wabasha County, and moved to it, leaving the furniture business in the hands of his son. After five years on the farm, however, the father returned to Wabasha, In 1900 the business was taken over by his younger son, Jacob L. He died August 26, 1910, being survived by his wife, who is still living. Their children were: Charles, previously mentioned, who is now in the furniture business for himself at Parker's Prairie, Minn; Katherine, who assists her brother, Jacob L., in the furniture business; Jacob L., subject of this sketch; William, who is now deceased; Dora, and Paulina, who are also deceased. Jacob L. Gengnagel, who was educated in the Wabasha public schools, early became associated with his father in the furniture business, and since becoming proprietor of the store in 1900 has continued to conduct it on a profitable basis. The present store is located on Main street, east of the post office, and is a large and well stocked emporium. Mr. Gengnagel has taken this place among the progressive and successful business men of Wabasha, and is well known through the county. He was elected county commissioner in 1918, taking office January 7, 1919. He was mayor of Wabasha from 1911 to 1916, and previous to that served as county coroner, having thus identified himself in various ways with the public business of his city and county, of which he has been a faithful servant. He is senior warden of Grace Episcopal church of Wabasha, and belongs fraternally to Waupahassa Lodge, No. 14, A. F. & A. M.; Tuetonia Lodge, No. 19, I. O.O. F.; Wabasha Tribe No. 27, I. O. R.; and lodge No. 106, A. O. U. W., all of Wabasha.
Gerken, Charles J. (page 775), one of the younger farmers in Mt. Pleasant Township, who is well embarked on a prosperous career, was born in section 5, this township, in which he now lives, on June 29, 1898, son of Henry and Anna (Cordes) Gerken. His parents are now deceased, the father having passed away March 28, 1903, and the mother February 15, 1917. Charles J. acquired his elementary education in the district school and afterwards attended a business college at Red Wing. Being the only child of his parents, he came into possession of the home farm, which has an area of 170 acres, ten of which are in a wood lot. The farm is provided with an adequate set of buildings, the residence being a two-story frame structure. The barn has the dimensions of 36 by 60 by 14 fee, with an 8-foot stone basement; and there is a good tool shed, 22 by 36 by 10 feet, and poultry house 16 by 40 by 8 feet. The soil of the farm is productive and Mr. Gerken has 160 acres under the plow, all, in fact, save the wood lot. He follows general farming, keeping high grade Holstein cattle and full-blooded Poland-China swine. Lake City, eight miles east, affords him a convenient market. Mr. Gerken is a good practical farmer, active and industrious, and each year sees him farther advanced on the road of prosperity. Politically he is a Republican, while his religious affiliations are with the Lutheran church.
Gilcreast, Hugh (page 287), now living retired in the village of Plainview, was for a number of years one of the active and successful farmers of this locality, his industry and thrift procuring for him the competence he now enjoys. He was born in Dubuque, Iowa, August 29, 1861, son of Joseph and Ann (Kearns) Gilcreast. The father was a native of Scotland and the mother of Ireland. Both came to this country single and they were married in Dubuque. In 1862 they came to Minnesota and located in Highland Township, Wabasha County, purchasing a claim of 160 acres, on which Joseph Gilcreast lived until 1878. They then sold the farm and returned to Iowa, where he continued in agricultural pursuits until his death. His wife died in Highland Township in 1875. Hugh Gilcreast was but a year old when he accompanied his parents to this county. He was educated in the district school in Highland Township and was reared to manhood and industrial activity on the home farm. In 1878 he began working out as farm labor, saving his money with an eye to future independence and a farm of his own. The latter he purchased in section 36, Highland, a farm of 160 acres. This he operated for five years, when he sold it and bought 80 acres in Plainview Township, section 14, later buying 80 more acres adjoining, his farm then comprising the whole of the northeast quarter of section 14, with an area of 160 acres. There he was engaged in agriculture for some 17 years, counting from the time of his first purchase in section 14, and met with good success. He also took his place as one of the township's leading citizens, serving on the school board, having previously served on the town board of Highland Township. In March 1915, Mr. Gilcreast sold his farm and moved to Plainview village, where he has since lead a life of ease and leisure on his well earned competence. He is a member of the modern Brotherhood of American and the Modern Woodmen of America, and, religiously, of the Catholic church. On June 19, 1894, Mr. Gilcreast was married to Catherine McNallan, who was born in Highland Township, this county, November 22, 1868, daughter of Walter and Ellen (Kinsella) McNallan. Three children have been born to them: Walter A., May 19, 1895; Roy M., December 10, 1897, and Thomas I., June 20, 1898. Walter A., now residing at home, enlisted May 28, 1918, in the Quartermaster Corps for service in the World War, and was at Camp Kearney, Calif. He was discharged April 15, 1919. Roy M., who was graduated from Plainview high school in the class of 1916, enlisted in the Navy, June 3, 1918, and in September, the same year, went across to Europe in a merchant ship. He was discharged at the Great Lakes Training Station, September 22, 1919, and is now a student in the Iowa State College at Ames, Iowa. Thomas I. is residing at home.
Gilcreast, John (page 602), a retired farmer residing in Kellogg, is a well known and respected citizen who has spent many years in Wabasha County. He was born at Dubuque, Iowa, July 24, 1859, son of Joseph and Anna (Kearns) Gilcreast, and accompanied his parents to Wabasha County, Minnesota, in 1862. When old enough he attended the district school, residing at home until he was 14 years old. About that time, or on the death of his mother in 1875, he went back to Iowa, where he lived with his maternal grandparents until 1884, being employed, after beginning industrial life, in railroad construction work. He then returned to Wabasha County and engaged in farming, buying 160 acres in the town of Glasgow. There he resided; actively engaged in general farming, until the fall of 1915, when he retired and took up his residence in Kellogg. He was married May 31, 1892, to Catherine Peters, daughter of Adam and Johanna (Lehnertz) Peters. Her parents were natives of Prussia, Germany, and came to the United States in 1854, first locating in Michigan. Thence they removed to Iowa, and later to Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, where they homesteaded the farm now owned by their son John. They had a family of eleven children, nine of whom grew to maturity, those now living being Garrett, Katherine, Margaret, Eva, Peter J., Theodore and John. Mr. and Mrs. John Gilcreast have had four children; two of whom, Elmer and Edward, are now deceased. The living are Francis and Gertrude. Francis married Lillian Wagner, daughter of Gottleib Wagner, of Kellogg, and has two children, a son and daughter. He is manager of a garage in Kellogg. Mr. Gilcreast and his family are Catholics in religion. He belongs also to the Modern Woodmen and the Equitable Fraternal Union, and is a stockholder in the local Telephone Company.
Gilcreast, Joseph (page 602), an early settler in Highland Township, was a native of Belfast, Ireland. When a young man he immigrated to the United States and made his way to Dubuque, Iowa, where he married Anna Kearns, who was from the north of Ireland. In 1862 he and his family came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, and took a homestead in Highland Township, on which they lived until the death of Mrs. Gilcreast in 1875. Mr. Gilcreast then went back to Iowa, where he resided until his death about 1904. He and his wife had nine children; a partial record including Joseph, now in South Dakota; Hugh, of Plainview, Minn; Mary, who lives in Spokane, Wash.; Thomas, residing near Plainview; Lizzie, deceased; Anna, the wife of J. Slack of Spokane, Wash.; Frances, a resident of Iowa; and John, now living in Kellogg.
Gillespie, John (page 770), the owner of farm property in Chester Township, who has followed an agricultural career since first becoming industrially active, was born in this township August 24, 1873, son of Patrick and Katherine (Dunn) Gillespie. The parents came to the United States from Ireland in 1848, locating in Pennsylvania, in which state they remained two years. Then in 1850 they came to Wabasha County, Minn., and were among the first settlers of Chester Township, pre-empting 320 acres of land in section 6, which, of course, at that early period was all wild. With everything to do and little to do it with, Patrick Gillespie applied himself to the hard task of developing a farm from the wilderness, and in time was successful, clearing most of his land and erecting a full set of buildings. He energetically continued his operations, until they were brought to an end by his death in 1888. His wife, Katherine, survived him a number of years, passing away in 1919. They were faithful members of the Catholic church. Their children were Margaret, Michael, John, Patrick, Francis, Julia, Catherine, Mary, who died in infancy, and Mary E., who is also now deceased. John Gillespie in his boyhood attended district school in Chester Township, and was brought up on the home farm, where he acquired his very practical knowledge of agriculture. After his father's death he conducted the farm for his mother, and in 1910 he bought a part of it, renting the balance. He is a man of high reputation in Chester Township, and served 17 years on the town board, during a part of the time being its chairman. He has also served ten years on the school board of his district, being chairman during that period, and is still holding that office. A man of public spirit, his participation in public affairs had been to the interest of the township and school district. He is a member of the Catholic church and belongs to the fraternal order of Yeomen. Mr. Gillespie was married June 26, 1901, to Mary Majerus, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John N. Majerus of Mazeppa. The issue of this marriage is nine children, who were born as follows: Mildred C., June 7, 1902; Geneva H., November 24, 1904; Odella J., November 27, 1906; Francis P., October 8, 1908; Elmer M. and Wilmer P. (twins), May 16, 1910; Rosella M., February 28, 1911; Margaret F., August 28, 1913, and Louisa L., February 27, 1918.
Gillooly, M. Frank (page 507), proprietor of the old Curtis Bryant farm on the outskirts of Elgin Village, which he is now operating, is a man who has had a wide and varied experience in the West and Southwest as stage driver, cowboy and ranchman in the days when those callings were surrounded by the halo of romance, and not unassociated with danger. He was born at Dewitt, Iowa, August 15. 1859, son of Malachi and Margaret (Keefe) Gillooly. The father was born in Ireland and on coming to America settled in New Orleans, where for nine years he was a member of the police force. There he married Margaret Keefe, who was a native of that city. After their marriage they migrated north and located on a homestead in Clinton County, Ia., where they spent the rest of their lives engaged in agriculture. They had a family of ten children: John, James, Patrick, Katherine, Julia, Mary Ann, Margaret, Theresa, M. Frank and Sarah Jane, of whom those now living are James, Patrick, Katherine and M. Frank. Mr. Gillooly died September 24, 1893, aged 86 years, and Mrs. Gillooly died July 31, 1895, aged 76. M. Frank Gillooly was educated in the public schools of Dewitt, Clinton County, Ia. He remained on his parents' farm until reaching the age of 19 years, and then went to St. Louis, Mo., and from there to San Antonio, Tex., where he spent a year and a half, in 1879 and 1880, driving a stage between San Antonio and El Paso. After that he went to Ogalalla, Neb., where he was engaged to drive a herd of cattle to Dodge City, Kan. This herd consisted of 4,500 head, and the trip took three months. Mr. Gillooly then came up the river to Winona, and from there to Elgin, Wabasha County, this being in the spring of 1881. In the following spring he went to South Dakota and took land on which he farmed for 14 years, when he sold out. In the meanwhile he had married, and now, in 1897, with the two older children, he drove overland to Wabasha County and rented the Curtis Bryant farm, belonging to his wife's parents, and situated close to Elgin Village, and joined his wife who had preceded him. The farm contained 80 acres, and there he and his family remained for four years. After that he spent four years in Rochester, Olmsted County. In 1908, with his family, he went to Canada and took land on which he resided a year and a half. Then he sold it and returned to Elgin and again resumed agriculture on the Bryant farm, which has since been his home. He has made valuable improvements on the place, having remodeled the residence, and put in waterworks, electric lights and cement walks. As the land is one of the most desirable building sites in the vicinity of the village, he has laid out a part of it in building lots. Mr. Gillooly is a man possessing much force of character, coupled with enterprise, a desirable addition to any community, and while living in South Dakota served on the village council of Andover. He was married October 10, 1884, at Aberdeen, S. D., to Nellie M. Bryant, who was born in Elgin, Minn., daughter of Curtis and Mary C. (Colby) Bryant. Five children are the issue of this marriage: Mary, born June 19, 1885, married Robert N. French, formerly of Chicago, general sales manager of the Union Match Co., but now of Minneapolis; Walter, born November 8, 1887, who married Pearl Bringgold of West Concord, Minn., and is now with the Western Construction Co. in Idaho; Howard, born March 18, 1892, who served in the world war from June 24, 1918, to November 9, 1919, spent 14 months in France, as did also Lloyd, and is now living at home; Lloyd, born July 3, 1895,who was in the 23d Engineers in the world war, from November 21, 1917, to June 24, 1919; and Leonard, born December 14, 1900. Mr. Gillooly and his family are affiliated religiously with the Methodist Episcopal church.
Goetsch, Alexander (page 697), an active and progressive farmer and town treasurer of Mazeppa Township, was born in Hanover, Germany, March 18, 1882, son of August and Mary (Piel) Goetsch. He was still a babe when in 1884 he accompanied his parents to the United States. The family first settled at Watertown, Wis., but after a short residence there came to Wabasha County, Minn., and began farming in Mazeppa Township, an occupation in which they continued here for the rest of their lives. Both died in 1909, well known and respected. They were consistent members of the Lutheran church. Their children were Otto, Anna, Robert, Paul, Magdalis, Regina and Alexander. Alexander Goetsch acquired his education in the district school, and when he was old enough began to make himself useful on his parents' farm. He worked for his father for several years, and then he and a brother took over the management of the farm, 40 acres of which his father deeded to him. He also bought 40 acres on his own account, and in 1914 another 80 acres. Later he bought ten acres of timber land, making in all 170 acres in section 20, Mazeppa Township. On this property he built a new barn and outbuildings, and is operating it with profitable results as a general farmer and stock raiser, breeding high grade hogs,. For the last five years he has served as treasurer of his township and is now serving in his third year as chairman of the school board of his district. Mr. Goetsch was married July 9, 1918, to Hulda Kuehn, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christ Kuehn of Mazeppa Township. Of this union has been born on child, Elena E., on May 18, 1919.
Goetsch, Paul (page 697), proprietor of a farm of 185 acres in Mazeppa Township, was born in Pommern, Germany, February 11, 1875, son of August and Mary (Piel) Goetsch. He attended school for a while in his native land, and accompanied his parents to America in 1884, at the age of nine years. After a short residence in Wisconsin the family settled in Mazeppa Township, Wabasha County, Minn., and here Paul attended district school and soon began helping on the farm. In time he became a useful assistant to his father, and was thus occupied until 1907. He then began farming on his own account, buying 125 acres in sections 21 and 28, and later by another purchase increased the area of his farm to 185 acres. He also erected all the present buildings, and has continued to carry on general farming, raising good stock. He is a stockholder in the Farmers' Co-operative Creamery of Mazeppa and a member of the Farmers Shipping Association of the same place. On July 27, 1910, Mr. Goetsch was married to Emma Nickel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Nichel of Mazeppa Township. The parents came to this locality from Germany in 1886, and were engaged in farming there until 1918, in which year Mrs. Nickel died. Since then Mr. Nickel has resided with his daughter, Mrs. Paul Goetsch. The children in the Nickel family were Adolph, Emil, Mary, William and Emma. Those born to Mr. and Mrs. Paul Goetsch are: Severa E., July 17, 1911; Carl F., July 28, 1913; and Esther L., born August 2, 1916. The family are members of the Lutheran church.
Goetsch, Otto (page 710), a representative of a family that has been engaged for a number of years in agricultural development in Mazeppa Township, and who is himself an active and successful farmer, was born in Pommern, Germany, November 25, 1870, son of August and Mary (Piel) Goetsch. He was educated in his native land and came to America with his parents in 1884, the family, after a brief residence in Wisconsin, settling on a farm in Mazeppa Township, Wabasha County, Minn. Until 1907 Otto worked for his father, and the latter then deeded to him 160 acres of land in section 29, which is the old home farm. He has improved his property by the erection of a new barn and outbuildings, and is planning the erection of a new residence. As a general farmer and stock raiser he is meeting with success and is making financial progress. He is a director in the Peoples State Bank of Mazeppa and in the Farmers' Shipping Association of the same place. Mr. Goetsch was first married, June 30, 1913, to Anna Summerfield of Mazeppa Township. She died December 9, 1917, leaving one child, Celia, who was born on June 16, 1916. On April 28, 1920, Mr. Goetsch married Elise Ploenert, a native of Germany, who came to this country a few years ago. Her father died in 1901 and her mother still resides in Germany. Mr. Goetsch and his family are members of the "Popple Grove" congregation of the German Lutheran church.
Goetz, Albert G. (page 384), who owns and operates a good farm of 157 acres in Section 32, Plainview Township, was born in Dakota, January 16, 1882, son of Mr. and Mrs. August Goetz. His education was acquired in the public schools, while he thoroughly learned agriculture on his parents' farm in Plainview Township, Wabasha County, continuing as his father's assistant until he was twenty years old. He then rented the farm from his father and operated it under rental until 1918, when he bought it. The property was well improved, the soil being fertile and yielding good crops, and the buildings substantial and adequate. Among the latter is a good corn shed erected by Mr. Goetz. He does diversified farming, raising cabbage and potatoes in addition to grain, while his stock is all of a good grade. His operations have been profitable and he is now numbered among the well-to-do farmers of Plainview Township. He is a man who takes an intelligent interest in public affairs, and is serving efficiently in the office of school director. Politically he is independent. Albert G. Goetz was united in marriage with Emma Schuchard, who was born March 15, 1890. He and his wife are the parents of four children, all residing at home, and who were born as follows: Glenn L., December 18, 1910; Luetta R., May 31, 1912; Clifford M., October 28, 1913; and Violet R., May 31, 1915. Mr. Goetz and his family are members of the Lutheran church. They have a comfortable home and a wide circle of friends in Plainview Township and the vicinity.
Goetz, August F. (page 228), an early settler in Plainview Township, where for 43 years he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, and who is now living retired in Plainview Village, was born in Germany, September 20, 1844. Educated in his native land, he came to America in 1869, a young man of 25 years, and for about a year resided in Wisconsin. It was in 1870 that he arrived in PlainviewTownship. After working out for a year, he rented a farm and engaged in agriculture on his own account, operating his place under rental for five years. He then bought 80 acres in section 7, Plainview, a tract with poor buildings, but on which he lived for five years. Selling it at the end of that time, he bought 160 acres in section 29, Plainview, this being an improved farm, on which also he resided five years, carrying on general farming. The next place he purchased was a farm of 160 acres in section 28, and here he made his home until his retirement in 1913, a period of about 17 years. During this time he carried on mixed farming, improving his property and adding to his land until he had 625 acres, all in Plainview Township. His career was an industrious and successful one, and he built up a good home. He has sold all his land except his residence property in Plainview, where he spends his summers, making his home in California in the winter. He and his family are affiliated with the German Lutheran church. Mr. Goetz was married October 3, 1871, to Rose Wandray, who died January 1, 1918. They were the parents of twelve children: Adeline, now Mrs. John Eggare of Plainview; Fred, residing in Plainview Township; Emma, wife of Henry Boice of Elgin Township; Laura, now deceased, who was the wife of John Hadley of Plainview; Otillia, now Mrs. William Boehlke of Plainview; Albert, residing in Plainview Township; August, Jr., of Plainview Township; Elsie, wife of Henry Beneke, of South Dakota; Edward, of Plainview Township; Ernest, a shoe merchant in Plainview; Arthur, of Plainview Township; and Elna, now Mrs. Henry Knocke, of South Dakota. Mr. Goetz and his family are members of the German Lutheran church.
Goetz, Jr., August F. (page 386), an enterprising farmer of Plainview Township, was born in this township, November 14, 1884, son of Mr. and Mrs. August Goetz, Sr. He acquired his education in District School No. 61, and was associated with his father on the home farm until 1912. He then moved to his present farm of 160 acres, which he rented for three years, purchasing the property at the end of that time. He has improved it in various ways, having erected a corn crib, garage and machine shed, and put up fences. Besides raising grain and graded stock, he is engaged in truck farming, giving special attention to cabbage and potatoes, all of which he has found profitable. Mr. Goetz was married October 3, 1912, to Linda Drews, who was born December 22, 1891, daughter of Rev. Gust Drews and wife. Mr. and Mrs. Goetz have four children: Lucille D., born September 27, 1913; Eileene R., July 16, 1916; Ruth P., November 18, 1917; and Yvonne L., May 13, 1919. Mr. Goetz and his family are members of the Lutheran church. In politics he is independent.
Goetz, Edward H. (page 766), proprietor of a good 80-acre farm in Plainview Township, which he has brought into good condition, was born in this township April 15, 1888, son of August Goetz, Sr. He was educated in the rural school of his district, and remained on the home farm in section 28 until 22 years old, working for his father. He then rented the farm for four years, and at the end of that time purchased it. Since then he has made some needed improvements in the property, having remodeled the buildings. He carries on diversified farming and truck gardening, raising cabbage, onions and potatoes with profitable results, and also breeds Guernsey cattle and Percheron horses. Mr. Goetz was married September 14, 1911, to Anna Holst, who was born in Plainview Township, March 7, 1891, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Holst. Of this union two children have been born: Kenneth D., August 10, 1912; and Everett E., May 26, 1914. Mr. Goetz and his family are members of the Lutheran church. As an industrious farmer and good citizen he commands respect, and is making steady progress in worldly prosperity.
Goetz, Ernest A. (page 539), a popular shoe merchant doing business in Plainview, of which village he is one of the enterprising and prosperous citizens, was born here, January 5, 1891, son of August and Rose (Wandry) Goetz. The parents were natives of Germany, who came to the United States when young and were married in Plainview, this county. They settled on a farm in the township and in time became prosperous and highly respected, residing there until 1913, when they retired to the village. Mrs. August Goetz died January 1, 1918, but Mr. Goetz is still living in Plainview. Ernest A. Goetz acquired his education in the public schools of this township and village, including the high school. He began industrial life as clerk for Koenig Bros. & Co., for whom he worked four years. In 1913 he purchased his present business, and has a fine retail boot and shoe trade, carrying a good and complete stock of everything in his line, orderly arranged in a good sized and attractive store. Honesty, courtesy and close attention to business have already advanced him far on the road to prosperity, and as a member of the Business Men's Association of the village he takes an active part in promoting its commercial interests. Mr. Goetz was one of the patriotic young men who volunteered to serve in the military forces of the United States in the recent World War. He enlisted June 24, 1918, in the infantry, was made supply sergeant of the 40th Company, and was at Camp Grant until his honorable discharge January 2, 1919. He is now a member of the American Legion, and secretary of the Plainview Post. Mr. Goetz was united in marriage March 12, 1919, with Hazel M. Lloyd, who was born in Eyota, Minn., July 6, 1897. They have a pleasant home in the village and are popular members of the younger social set, with whom they exchange mutual hospitalities.
Goetz, Fred G. (page 229), who for a number of years has been identified with the agricultural interests of Plainview Township, was born in this township October 28, 1873, son of Mr. and Mrs. August Goetz, Sr. He acquired his education in the public schools of the township, which he attended for the usual period, and on his parents' farm under his father's mentorship acquired a practical knowledge of agriculture and stock raising. Until 1897 he remained on the home farm in section 30, and then purchased from his father 160 acres in section 30, Plainview Township, which he has since been engaged in operating. On this property he has made valuable improvements, having erected the present residence, put in water-works and a general modern equipment. In addition to the usual grains, he is raising cabbage and onions. Since starting in for himself, Mr. Goetz has been an industrious worker, and his efforts have borne such good fruits that he has recently sold his farm with the intention of retiring in the fall of 1920. He was married March 12, 1901, to Bertha Sagissor of Wabasha, who was born June 7, 1874. He and his wife are the parents of three children: Elsie A., born June 26, 1903; William G., November 11, 1904; and Evelyn E., March 15, 1909. William G. is now a student in the high school. Mr. Goetz and his family are members of the Lutheran church. He has long occupied a prominent place in the community as an able representative of its most important industry, and he and his family are highly esteemed.
Goggin, Robert (page 602), who came to Wabasha County 30 years ago, and who is now proprietor of a nice farm of 160 acres in section 25, Watopa Township, was born in the town of Hartland, McHenry County, Illinois, in 1858, son of Robert and Ellen (Callahan) Goggin. The parents were natives of Ireland, but were married in Illinois, where the father engaged in farming, and where also he spent the rest of his life. After his death the surviving members of the family migrated in a wagon to Steele County, Minnesota, where the mother died about 1889. Of the three children, one, Edward, died in Steele County, the only daughter, Julia, is now Mrs. James Griffin, of Wabasha, Minn., and the third is the subject of this sketch. After coming to Wabasha County Robert Goggin (Jr.) worked 14 years on the railroad as section hand. He then began farming, first at Glasgow, then near Lake City, later for two years in Gillford, then for four years in Greenfield Township, near Kellogg. In the spring of 1915 he came to his present farm, on which he has built a barn 40 by 18 feet, with a stable and cow barn attached, has installed a windmill, and improved the house. He is engaged in general farming. His land is somewhat rough, but the farm is beautifully situated on the table-land, commanding a fine view, and he is making steady progress. Mr. Goggin was first married in 1889 to Mary McKeefrey, who was born and died in Wabasha, Minn. She left three children: Edward, Robert and Nellie E., all of whom are now living. Mr. Goggin was married secondly on May 3, 1904, to Kate Conners, who was born at Read's Landing, Wabasha County, Minn., daughter of James and Mary (Fitzgerald) Conners. Of this second marriage one child, John, was born March 23, 1905, who is residing with his parents and already has a practical acquaintance with most of the details of agricultural work. The family are members of the Catholic church and are numbered among those who are helping to build up the resources of Wabasha County, now celebrated for the enterprise and wealth of its farmers, and the beauty of the farms.
Goihl, William (page 560), a well known and prosperous farmer residing in section 10, West Albany Township, was born on a farm he now owns and operates, October 26, 1877, son of Carl and Anna (Schader) Goihl. The parents were early immigrants in this county, coming from Germany, and the father, who was a blacksmith by trade, conducted a shop in addition to farming. He became prosperous, and finally retired in 1908, removing to Lake City, where he owns a fine residence. He and his wife Anna have had four children: William, subject of this sketch; Carl, who is deceased; Paul, a well-to-do farmer in Lake Township; and Anna, now Mrs. Frank Ramer, of Pepin Township. William Goihl in his boyhood attended school in the Scotch Settlement near his home, continuing his studies to the age of seventeen. He remained on the home farm, and until he was thirty, assisted his father. In 1908, on the father's retirement, he bought the property and has since operated it on his own account. It contains 160 acres of cultivated land and 20 acres of timber. It is well stocked with grade Shorthorn cattle and Chester-White hogs, and the operating equipment is modern and complete, the farm being one of the best in West Albany Township, both as to the buildings and the productiveness of the soil. Mr. Goihl is one of the prominent citizens of his township, where he has lived all his life. He is chairman of the district school board. Aside from his direct farming interests he is a stockholder in the Lake City Co-operative Creamery and in the Farmers' Co-operative Elevator Co. of Theilman village, and a stockholder in the Terminal Packing Co. of Newport, Minn. He owns and operates a threshing outfit for himself and neighbors, and is a member of the Knights of Columbus. In politics he is independent. Mr. Goihl was married November 10, 1908, to Elizabeth Schmidt, daughter of Carl and Anna Schmidt of Glasgow Township, where she was born March 9, 1884. He and his wife have three children: Carl, born September 27, 1919; Julius, born November 23, 1912, and Dorothy, born March 31, 1918. Mr. Goihl and his family are members of the Catholic church and of St. Joseph's parish at Theilman.
Goodman, John T. (page 723), engaged in agriculture in Chester Township, of which township he is one of the prominent citizens, was born in Goodhue County, November 26, 1861, son of John and Jeanette (Bump) Goodman. The father, who was born in Germany, came to America in the early forties, settling in Goodhue County, Minn., on 80 acres of land. During the Civil War he served in the Union army, being honorably discharged in 1865. Shortly after his return from the war he died. His wife survived him a number of years passing away in 1879. They were members of the German Lutheran church. They had only two children, both sons, Charles E. and John T. John T. Goodman acquired his education in the Mazeppa village schools and lived with his grandparents, Mr. And Mrs. Orson bump, until he was 17 years old. He worked at farm labor by the month, near Mazeppa, until 1881, after which he rented different farms in Goodhue and Olmsted Counties. In 1901 he bought his present farm of 93 acres in section 31, Chester Township, on which he has since made some improvements, including the erection of a new modern house, and is pursuing a successful career as a general farmer. For 12 years he has been one of the supervisors on the Chester town board, in which office he is still serving. Mr. Goodman was married January 15, 1881, to Margaret La Van, who was born in Goodhue County, September 28, 1865, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Dominic La Van. Her parents came to Goodhue County, Minn., from Iowa in the spring of 1865, settling near Pine Island. In the La Van family there were nine children: Peter, Lizzie, Agnes, Charles, George, Nicholas, Theodore, Anna and Margaret. Lizzie, George and Charles are now deceased. To Mr. And Mrs. Goodman seven children have been born: George E., August 28, 1886; Bessie B., January 30, 1888; Sylvia A., October 15, 1896; Grace M., May 1, 1898; Charles, February 16, 1901; Ruth E., May 26, 1903, and Homer E., September 14, 1892. Bessie is now the wife of Henry Nelson of Rochester, Sylvia the wife of Archie Franklin of Chester Township, and Grace the wife of Bert Owen of Rochester. Homer E., died at the age of seven years in 1899. Mr. And Mrs. Goodman are affiliated religiously with the Congregational church. Mr. Goodman is a member of the Masonic order, including the Eastern Star Chapter; also the Workmen, while Mrs. Goodman belongs to the Eastern Star.
Goodrich, Leroy A. (page 515), editor of the Lake City Graphic Republican, was born in Durand, Pepin County, Wis., April 8, 1875, son of Philo W. and Mary A. (Scott) Goodrich. Phil W. Goodrich, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in Chautaugua County, New York, and was 13 years of age when he came with his parents to Durand, Wis., where he has resided for 63 years. He was reared on their farm, but subsequently engaged in mercantile business, in which he has been very successful. He is now engaged in the furniture and undertaking business in Durand. His wife, Mary A. Scott Goodrich, was born in Erie County, Pennsylvania, in 1843, and died in November, 1919. Leroy A. Goodrich was educated, so far as the usual branches of study are concerned, in the graded and high school of Durand. For several years thereafter he taught country school, and then took a business course at Red Wing. He began his newspaper experience as one of the proprietors and publishers of the Entering Wedge, of Durand, and was thus engaged for twelve years, during which time he gained a through insight into journalistic methods as practiced in small towns and cities. In 1907 he purchased the Lake City Graphic Sentinel, which he conducted successfully. In 1910 the Lake City Printing Co. was organized, Mr. Goodrich becoming vice president of the concern. A consolidation of the "Grahpic Sentinel" was then made with the Lake City Republican, and the paper has since been issued as the Lake City Graphic-Republican, with Mr. Goodrich as editor and manager. The paper was issued bi-weekly until 1918 and has a circulation of nearly 2,000. In connection with it a first-class job printing office is maintained. Mr. Goodrich has been a hard worker, and his efforts have been well directed and have accomplished results. He enjoys a wide personal popularity due to the respect inspired by his ability and to his cheerful and genial disposition. Mr. Goodrich was married in June, 1901, to Maude J., daughter of Wesley W. Gue, of Lake City. Her parents were early settlers in Pepin County, Wis., coming from New York state. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich: Leroy A., Jr., May 16, 1905; and Mary Evelyn, who is now deceased. Mr. Goodrich belongs to the Lake City Commandery K. T., No. 6, to the Odd Fellows' lodge, and other fraternal orders in Lake City.
Gorman, John J. (page 554), now living retired in Lake City after a long and successful farming career, was born in Greenfield Township, Wabasha County, Minn., August 14, 1856, son of Mathias and Nora (King) Gorman. At the time of his birth his parents had been located on their farm but a year and four months and the surrounding conditions were those of a pioneer community, with few white settlers, and but little land developed. As he grew up he assisted his father to improve the place, his waking hours being spent chiefly in work, as he had but little chance for schooling, though the first school in the district was held in his father's original claim shanty. In time he engaged in farming on his own account, acquiring a farm of 320 acres in Greenfield Township, of which he had 200 acres under the plow, the rest being in timber and pasture. He also erected a good set of buildings. His agricultural operations were continued until the fall of 1919, when, on account of failing health, he sold the farm, and moved to Lake City, where he has since lived retired, owning and occupying a comfortable residence at No. 911 North Oak street. During his active career Mr. Gorman served his township twelve years as chairman of the town board, and was assessor eight years. He also served several years as school clerk, and was president of the Kellogg school board. In politics he has always been a Democrat. On July 3, 1883, Mr. Gorman was united in marriage with Mary E. Calhoun, daughter of Lawrence and Mary (McDonough) Calhoun. She was born at Reed's Landing, Wabasha County, August 9, 1859, her mother having been one of the party which landed there in April, 1855, at the same time as the Gormans. Subsequently for some time before her marriage she was a teacher in Wabasha. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. John J. Gorman: Mathew E., Lawrence, Mary C., Margaret, John K., Robert R., and Ruth C. Mathew E., who was a steel worker, met his death by accident at Detroit, Mich., March 28, 1916. Lawrence, who is a railroad engineer residing at Clarion, Iowa, served in the recent war with Germany as a member of Company C, 18th Engineer Corps. He entered the service the second day after the United States declared war, and his company was the first to carry foreign colors in England. It was also the first to take part in the fighting at Verdun, August 16, 1917. It left Marseilles, France, for home April 16, 1919. Mary, who graduated from the Kellogg High and the Winona State Normal School, followed teaching for eight years in Wabasha County, is now Mrs. P. E. Waller, of Braham, Minnesota. Margaret Gorman, who is a graduate of the Kellogg High School and the Winona Normal School, is now a teacher. John K. Gorman, like his brother Lawrence, also served in the late war, and gave up his life for the cause of democracy and freedom from military oppression, though not in battle. He was a member of Company K, 54th Pioneer Infantry, and went out from Duluth, as he was the owner of a claim in Beltrami County. He worked with the Engineer Corps, and saw active service in the fighting around Verdun, being under shell fire much of the time. He came out of the ordeal unscathed but took sick and died in the hospital, April 12, 1919, being buried in Coblenz. His remains were brought back home in the spring of 1920, and buried in the family lot. Robert R. Gorman, who is a farmer at Roseberg, Ore., is another war hero. He made three efforts to enlist in the West, but was rejected, being finally placed, however, in an emergency fleet there. Being determined to see active service, he came home and succeeded in becoming a member of Battery B, 332d Field Artillery, training at Camp Robinson, Wisconsin. He reached Bordeaux, France, September 1, 1918, and being of 400 selected to join the Army of Occupation, marched from Bordeaux to the Rhine. He reached home August 28, 1919. Ruth Gorman is a student and is residing at home. It will thus be seen that all Mr. Gorman's surviving sons served their country patriotically in the recent great war, from which one never returned ~ a fine record, of which the family may well be proud. Their religious faith is that of the Catholic church, attending the parish at Lake City.
Gorman, Mathias (page 553), pioneer, whose career in Wabasha County covered the period of half a century, from 1855 to 1905, was born in Ireland, and came to this country in the early forties. For a number of years the family resided in the East, but in 1855 they joined the stream of emigration to the great Northwest. Their destination was St. Paul, Minnesota, and after reaching the Mississippi river they took a boat up stream, but Lake Pepin being obstructed by ice, the boat was unable to proceed further, and the party disembarked on April 20 on Wabasha County soil, and made up their minds to remain here. Others who landed with them were the Lee, McDonough and Leydon families, all of whom settled in this county. Mathias Gorman had been previously married to Nora King, and was accompanied by his wife and two children. He took land in Greenfield Township, and after he had got his family installed in a small house, and done a little preliminary work on his place, he went to Galena, Ills., for cows and other stock, which he brought by boat to Wabasha, and thence overland to his farm. With this stock and their somewhat scanty household effects, they began the work of developing the land and establishing a comfortable home, a task in which Mr. Gorman finally succeeded. His wife Nora was not long spared to him dying in 1860, and he subsequently remarried. By his first marriage he had five children: Mary and Sarah, who were born in the East; John J., residing in Lake City; Richard and Mathias, Jr. Sarah and Richard are now deceased. Mary is the widow of Earl Howley. Mathias Gorman, Sr., continued active farm work until 1886, when he retired. He had accumulated over 400 acres, and was a prosperous and respected citizen, whose death on February 4, 1905, was deeply deplored.
Goss, Frank C. (page 623), the popular clerk of courts of Wabasha County, was born in the city where he now resides November 14, 1876, son of Ziba and Emma (Hurd) Goss, and descended from two of the earliest families in the county. He passed through the graded and high schools of Wabasha and took the four years' course at Carleton College, Northfield, Minn. For a year and a half he acted as his father's clerk in the Hurd Hotel, now the Anderson House. Then he was deputy postmaster at Wabasha under his father. Upon retiring from this position he entered the government service as receiver of material, connected with the Upper Mississippi office of the United States Engineers, working on the river in the summer and in the government building at St. Paul during the winter. He resigned from this position in the fall of 1914. That same fall he became a candidate for his present position, took office January 1, 1915, and by re-election has since continued to serve. He is an efficient officer, competent in his office, and accommodating to the public, thus winning the general favor of the court, the lawyers and his constituents. Fraternally he is a member of Wapahasa Lodge, No. 14, A.F.&A.M., of Wabasha, and of Hope Chapter, No. 12, R.A.M., of Lake City. The family faith is that of the Grace Memorial Epicopal church of Wabasha, of which Mr. Goss is a prominent member, and of which he has been vestryman for many years. Mr. Goss was married August 12, 1903, to Josephine Cumbey, daughter of William N. and Elizabeth (Howe) Cumbey, of St. Paul, and they have two children: Elizabeth, born July 7, 1905, and Howard, born May 10, 1912. The family residence is a comfortable dwelling on West Main street.
Goss, Ziba (page 623), a pioneer, was born in East Randolph, Orange County, Vt., in 1842, and was brought to Wabasha County in the early fifties by his parents, who settled in Highland Township. At the outbreak of the Civil War Ziba, and two of his brothers, Howard and Dana, enlisted and did good service during that great conflict in the Third Minn. Volunteer Infantry. The regiment was captured and paroled in 1862 and the men sent north against the Indians. Later they again saw service in the south. Ziba Goss was reared to farm pursuits, but after the war went to Wabasha and learned the carpenter's trade. After this he devoted many years to the woodworking and building trades. For a long period he was foreman of the large factory and planing mill of Ingram, Kennedy & Gill at Wabasha. Subsequently he was a partner in the firm of Goss & Campbell, implement dealers at Wabasha. In later years he operated and managed the "Hurd Hotel," now the "Anderson House," the capacity of which he nearly doubled by erecting the western wing. For 12 years he did most efficient service as postmaster at Wabasha. After a long and useful life, he died April 21, 1911. Ziba Goss was married June 14, 1875, to Emma Hurd, the daughter of Blois S. and Lavira (Isham) Hurd, Wabasha pioneers, and founders and proprietors of the Hurd House. She died November 16, 1903.
Gosse, Joseph (page 414), who during his span of life in Wabasha County made a good record as a successful agriculturist and reliable and useful citizen, was born in Hanover, Germany, December 23, 1850, son of Bernhard and Caroline (Rumke) Gosse. The father was a small farmer in Germany, and he and his wife had nine children: Christine and Theresa, who are still living in Germany; Joseph, the subject of this sketch; Henry, of Greenfield Township; Mary, now Mrs. August Schutch, of Greenfield Township; Josephine, wife of Fred Welter, of Crookston, Minn.; Bernhard, deceased; and Clemens and August of Wabasha city. Joseph Gosse, who attended school in his native land, resided there until attaining his majority. Then in 1871 he came to the United States, locating first in St. Cloud, Minn., where his grandparents on his mother's side then resided. His occupation for seven or eight years after arriving in this country was that of a farm hand. During that time he saved his money, and in 1880 came to Wabasha County and bought 160 acres of partly improved land on Pepin Hill, in section 23, Pepin Township. The location was four and a half miles west of Wabasha city and near Reed's Landing, which at that time was a lively place. The buildings on the place were small and unimportant, and the work of developing a good farm lay before him. It was a task for which he was suited. He was industrious and frugal, and at once set to work. The task took time but was gradually accomplished. The neighbors saw first one new building then another go up, the cultivated acres increased, the land was fenced, cattle and other stock multiplied, and Mr. Gosse took his place among the well to do citizens of his township, and was respected for his achievements, as for his personal character. All this was not accomplished alone, for Mr. Gosse had the aid of a good wife, who did her full part in looking after the affairs of the household and rearing a family of children, who as they grew up became useful to their parents. Mrs. Gosse was in maidenhood Catherine Kennebeck, daughter of Bernhard and Letta Kennebeck, of Big Waumandee, Buffalo County, Wis., and was born August 15, 1863. They were married June 19, 1883, and lived together in happy wedlock for nearly 32 years, when death broke the bonds that united them, and Mr. Gosse passed to the higher life on April 19, 1916. His remains were laid to rest in St. Felix cemetery at Wabasha, he and his family being faithful Catholics and long members of St. Felix' parish. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gosse, namely: Mary, March 21, 1885; Bernhard, May 15, 1887; Caroline, August 20, 1889; Frank, July 1, 1891; Anthony, June 21, 1893; Theodore, January 28, 1897; Lizetta, March 6, 1899; Joseph, May 28, 1901; and Louis, October 28, 1903. Mary is now Mrs. William Tritchler, and has three children, Myrtle, Ervin and Catherine. Bernhard married Maude Preston, who is a farmer near Bearman, N. D., and has two children, Mary and Joseph. Caroline is the wife of George Bruegger, a farmer near Bowman, N. D. Frank, who is farming near Bearman, N. D., married Lottie Seybold, and has a son named Estell. Anthony is working the home farm for his mother. Theodore is a bridge builder in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway and resides at home when not working far away. He was drafted October 24, 1918, sent to Camp Forrest, Georgia, and discharged at Camp Dodge, Iowa, January 3, 1919. Lizetta, Joseph and Louis are residing at home with their mother, the two youngest attending St. Felix school.
Barb included this information for her husband's family:
Jerry L. Gosse, son of Joseph Clem Gosse and Pearl Marie Bohm
m Bonnie B. Burkhart (deceased)
m. Barbara Ann Smith Kuehn
Children with Bonnie: Julie Gosse Cantafio, Aimee Michelle Gosse Mury, Jeffrey G. Gosse
Siblings of Jerry Gosse: Vivienne Marie Gosse Blessing, Jacqueline Gosse Barnes
Parents of Joseph Clem Gosse: Joseph Johann Gosse and Katherine Kennebeck
Parents of Joseph Johann Gosse: Benedict Gosse and Caroline Rumke
Benedict's father, Johann, was actually named Evers, not Gosse
Governor, Peter (page 322), a respected resident of the village of Plainview, is a man who, though hardly yet in middle life, has already achieved pecuniary independence as the result of successful farming operations. He was born in Highland Township, Wabasha County, Minn., January 29, 1881, son of Theodore and Elizabeth (Schrader) Governor. The scene of his birth was a farm which had been taken as a homestead by his grandfather Governor, and was the home of the family until 1883, when they moved to South Dakota. After spending eleven years in that state, they removed to Wisconsin, where they spent six years, and then, returning to Wabasha County, engaged in farming near Kellogg. The father, Theodore Governor, died in 1906, and was survived by his wife, who is still living. Peter Governor was educated in the district schools of South Dakota and Wisconsin, and remained at home until 1908, except for two years, 1900 and 1901, when he was away in Wisconsin and upper Michigan. During that time he saved his money and bought 40 acres in Whitewater Township. This land he sold in 1910 to Kate Marnach, who afterward became his wife. In 1908 Mr. Governor engaged in agriculture on his own account, buying a farm of 130 acres in section 34, Plainview Township, which he operated for six years. He then sold it and bought one of 160 acres in section 10. There he resided engaged in general farming until the fall of 1919, when he sold the place and, moving to Plainview, purchased his present home in the village. His active career was marked by industry and good judgment, and he is now reaping the reward of his labors in the enjoyment of a competence. Mr. Governor was married February 19, 1912, to Kate Marnach, who was born in Whitewater, Winona County, Minn., October 11, 1883, daughter of Nicholas and Barbara (Georges) Marnach. Her parents were natives of Germany, who located in Whitewater Township in 1860, being married there, and carrying on the farm until their death. The mother was the first to pass away, in 1887, Mr. Marnach dying in 1901. Their daughter Kate then became heir to 160 acres and the home place of 20 acres, which latter she sold. She subsequently purchased other land until she had 240 acres, which she sold in the fall of 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Governor are members of the Catholic church. They have a wide circle of friends in Plainview and the vicinity and are socially popular. On February 16, 1920, a son was born to them, who lived only five days and was buried in the Catholic cemetery at Elba.
Graner, Lewis G. (page 570), proprietor of Pine Ridge Stock Farm, Greenfield Township, was born in this township September 23, 1875. His parents, Henry and Mary (Frye) Graner, were natives of Hanover, Germany, who came to America in 1850, landing in Baltimore, where they remained two years. In 1852 they became pioneers of Minnesota, settling in Greenfield Township, Wabasha County, where they bought a homestead right of 160 acres in section 29. Later they purchased 205 acres more, making a total owned by them of 365 acres. They improved the property into a good farm, erecting buildings and fences, and were engaged in farming and stock raising there until the death of Henry Graner on September 4, 1915. Mrs. Graner now makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. George Foster of Greenfield. She and her husband were the parents of eleven children, eight of whom are now living, the full list being: Henry, Herman of Kellogg, Elizabeth of Almena, Kans; Mary, of Greenfield Township; Augusta, of Almena, Kans; Emma, of Eagan, S. D.; Amelia, of Waukon, Iowa; Lewis G.; William, of Watopa Township; Clara and Edward. The deceased are Henry, Clara and Edward. Lewis G. Graner acquired a district school education in Greenfield Township. He worked for his father on the home farm until 1903 and in that year bought the farm on which he has since remained, and where he is carrying on general farming and stock raising. He gives special attention to stock raising, breeding Shorthorn cattle, and improving his stock by the use of full-blooded sires. His barn is equipped with an Empire milking-machine, and is electrically lighted. For 12 years Mr. Graner served as town clerk of Greenfield Township, and is now serving as clerk of School District No. 28. He is a member of the Masonic order, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Modern Samaritans, and is religiously affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Graner was married October 18, 1904 to Bertha Anderson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Swan Erickson, Sr., of Greenfield Township. Her father, who died August 11, 1888, was in the employ of the C., M. and St. P. railway. Her mother is now living in the village of Kellogg. They were also members of the M. E. church. Their children were: Carrie, of Verndale, Minn; Swan, Jr., of Kellogg; Thomas, of Minneapolis; Emma; Allen, of superior, Wis.; Bertha, William, of Minneapolis, and John. Mr. and Mrs. Graner are the parents of one child, John L., who was born November 6, 1909.
Grass, Paul (page 596), general contractor, and manufacturer of cement blocks, at Wabasha City, of which place he is a prominent business man, was born in Pepin Township, Wabasha County, September 19, 1869, son of Vincent and Anna Grass. The parents were natives of Germany who came to America in 1866, locating in Pepin Township, this county, where they bought a partially improved farm of 160 acres. Both died about 1890. They had a family of seven children: Agnes, deceased, who married Stephen Free, of Pepin; Vincent, who went to Salt Lake City and is now deceased; Mary, deceased, who married Henry Stamschor, of Glasgow Township; Sophia, deceased, who married Clement Freese, of Red River Valley, Minn.; Frank and Christ, of Wabasha, and Paul, the subject of this sketch. Paul Grass was reared on his parents' farm, on which he resided until he was 25 years old. In 1891 he married Anna Lager, daughter of John and Christine Lager, of Pepin Township, and they began domestic life on his parents' farm, which had come into his possession through the death of his parents, he purchasing the interests of the other heirs. In 1894 he sold the farm and moved to Wabasha, where he engaged in cabinet making, an occupation at which he continued for seven years. Then in 1901 he began taking contract work as a carpenter, and so continued to 1910. That year he added cement work to his business, contracting in both lines. Four years later, in 1914, he began the manufacture of cement blocks for building purposes, which branch of his business has so flourished that he has now an extensive factory for the purpose on the west side. He continues general contracting, including all kinds of cement work, and his operations cover a wide territory. He has gained a high reputation as an expert workman, and his honesty and reliability are recognized by his fellow citizens, and have been large factors in his success. In politics Mr. Grass is a Democrat. He and his family are members of St. Felix Catholic parish of Wabasha. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Grass are: Vincent, Tina, John, Edward, Louis and Henrietta. Vincent and John both served their country in the world war and after returning the former took charge of the carpenter work, and the latter the cement work.
Graves, Ralph E. (page 416), now engaged in operating a feed mill at Elgin, was born at Whitewater Falls, Minn., April 14, 1886, son of Washington and Minnie (Soreson) Graves. The father was a native of Vermont who came to Minnesota in 1856 among the pioneers. He first settled near Lewiston, where he followed blacksmithing. Later he bought a farm in that locality, but subsequently sold it and removed to Whitewater Falls, where he bought another farm, residing there for 23 years. He then removed to a farm south of Elba, Winona County, where he died in 1900. His wife, a native of Norway, whom he married in Winona, is now living at Elba. Their three children are all living, namely, Leonard S. a bank cashier; Edward, residing on a farm in Elgin Township, and Ralph E., of Elgin. Ralph E. Graves in his boyhood attended school in Elba and worked on his parents' farm. He then entered the Elba mill, where he spent four years learning and mastering the milling business. In 1910 he came to Elgin and bought the old Elgin mill, which he operated for three years, at the end of that time erecting his present mill on the railroad, which he is now running as a feed mill, grinding gist for the farmers. The machinery is operated by a 20-horsepower oil engine, and Mr. Graves has named his mill the Elgin Feed Mill. He is the sole proprietor. He is thus launched on a promising enterprise and has the energy and ability to conduct it to a successful issue. Mr. Graves is a past master of the Masonic Blue Lodge No. 115 at Elgin.
Gray, Henry R. (page 780), a prominent citizen of Plainview village, where he is conducting a successful garage and auto car business, was born in Chester Township, Wabasha County, Minn., April 8, 1874, son of Louis and Lottie (Freiheit) Gray, pioneers of that locality. He was reared on his parents' farm and resided with them until 30 years of age, in his boyhood attending the district school. In 1906 he went to Zumbro Falls, where he engaged in the hardware business, also operating a garage, and he continued there until he sold out to Alfred Klingworth and moved to Plainview. Here he is handling Ford autos, tractors, and other Ford products, and also operates a garage, keeping a full line of supplies and doing general repairing. While residing in Zumbro Falls he served that village seven years as mayor. He was also vice president of the Zumbro Falls State Bank, and served in several minor offices. As a business man he has made an excellent record, and in Plainview is living up to the reputation which he established in Zumbro Falls. In the latter place he was married, November 20, 1907, to Lydia Welkie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Welkie. Her parents were early settlers in Minnesota. They were born in Germany and were residing in New Ulm, this state, at the time of the Indian uprising in 1862, but receiving notice in time of the threatened attack by the savages, Mr. Welkie hastily hitched up his ox team, and he and his family fortunately made their escape. Many of those who were less prompt fell victims in the massacre which followed. Mr. and Mrs. Henry R. Gray are the parents of two children: Maynard, born July 10, 1913, and Hazel B., born August 20, 1909, both of whom are attending school in Plainview.
Gray, Louis (page 779), a well known pioneer of Chester Township, where he is still living, was born in Germany, and came to the United States in 1850, settling near Princeton, Wisconsin. With his wife, whose maiden name was Lottie Freiheit, she being also a native of Germany, he came in 1861 to Wabasha County, Minnesota, making the journey with an ox team. The oxen proved useful in the work of breaking and cultivating the tract of 160 acres which they took in Chester Township. For several years they lived in a small frame shanty, after which they were able to erect a good frame house. Subsequently Mr. Gray added two quarter sections to his original tract, which gave him a farm of 480 acres. All this he ultimately brought under cultivation and he has since continued to reside here, though for some time he has been retired from active work, his son Emil operating the farm. Mr. Gray's first wife died in 1870, leaving four children, all of whom are now living, namely: Lenora, wife of Henry Schulter of Ottertail County, Minn.; Albert, of Goodhue County; Emil, residing on the home farm, and Henry R., a prominent business man of Plainview. After his first wife's death Mr. Gray married Otelia Semp, a native of Germany who came to this country when a young girl. She is still living on the home farm in their fine modern residence.
Gregor, James A. (page 334), a prosperous farmer residing in section 16, Oakwood Township, was born in Elgin Township, Wabasha County, Minn., July 15, 1882, son of John and Rose (Wurst) Gregor. His education was acquired in the district school, and he worked on his parents' farm until he was 21 years old. Then he bought his present farm of 230 acres in section 16, Oakwood Township, which he has improved considerably, having put up every building on the place except the house and the barn, which he remodeled, making it 36 by 80 feet, with a full basement. His farm is well stocked with Shorthorn cattle, Duroc-Jersey hogs and a good grade of sheep, and he follows diversified farming with good financial results. He is a member of the Farmers' Shipping Association, and is affiliated in either a business or fraternal way with the Massachusetts Mutual Insurance Co., the Equitable Fraternal Union of Wabasha, and the Modern Woodmen of America at Millville. Mr. Gregor was married February 23, 1905, to Elizabeth Shade, who was born in Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, June 23, 1884. He and his wife have one child, Beulah R., who was born October 30, 1916. They are affiliated religiously with the Evangelical Lutheran church.
Gregor, John (page 334), an early settler in Elgin Township, and now residing in Elgin Village, was born in Austria in 1842, son of John and Amalia Gregor. The father dying in Austria, his widow married Adolph Bartosch, and in 1852 John Gregor accompanied his mother and step-father to the United States, the family settling in Jefferson County, Wis., where the mother finally died. At the age of 17 years John Gregor began working out and supporting himself. In 1865 he came to Wabasha County, Minn., locating in Elgin Township, where for awhile he continued to work out. In 1868 he engaged in agriculture for himself, buying 229 acres in the southwest quarter of section 3. There he resided for nearly 40 years, building up a good farm, and retiring to take up his residence in the village in 1907. His success was accomplished by hard work, and he was long widely known and recognized as one of the representative farmers of his township. He also served many years as justice of the peace, assessor and town clerk, being closely affiliated with the work of local government. During most of this time he was aided by the companionship and co-operation of a good wife, having been married, January 21, 1867, to Rosa Wurst, who died in 1902. They became the parents of eight children: Joseph, now of Hancock, Minn.; Jay, residing on the home farm; John, of Beardsley, Minn.; James A., of Oakwood Township; William, of Elgin; Jesse, of Browns Valley, Minn.; Ida, now Mrs. Joseph Mareck, of Elkton, S. D.; and Rosa, who resides in Elgin.
Grieve, David (page 290), one of the pioneers of Plainview Township, was a native of Scotland, from which country he emigrated to Canada. After a residence of about three years in the Dominion, he came to the States, locating first near Markesan, Green Lake County, Wisconsin. There, however, he remained for but a year, at the end of which time, about 1860, he came to Wabasha County, Minnesota. For a short time he worked at anything he could find to do, most of the time breaking prairie land for the neighbors, for which purpose he used three teams of oxen. In 1863 he enlisted in the First Minnesota Light Artillery, and with that organization accompanied Sherman on his march to the sea, serving in all 18 months. After the war, on October 17, 1865, he was united in marriage, in Plainview Township, to Elizabeth Tyson, who was born in London, Ontario, Canada, in 1844, daughter of Joseph D. and Mary Ann Tyson. Her parents had come to Minnesota in 1856, for three years conducting a hotel in Wabasha City. They then settled on a farm located on the line between Plainview Township and Winona County, having 80 acres on each side of the line. There Mr. Tyson farmed until his death in 1885. Mrs. Mary Ann Tyson died in 1894. About the time of his marriage David Grieve began farming for himself, buying 120 acres of land in Plainview Township. That occupation he followed for the rest of his life, passing away February 9, 1899. His wife, who survived him, is now residing with her son, William H., in Plainview. Mr. and Mrs. David Grieve had two children, Jessie and William H. Jessie, who died in May, 1905, was twice married: first to Owen Southwick, who died two years after their marriage, leaving one son, Earl R. She married, secondly, Edgar Wentworth, of Plainview Township, by whom she had two sons, Vernon and Francis.
Grieve, William H. (page 290), who is now living
retired in the village of Plainview, on a competence acquired through a successful
career in agriculture, was born April 28, 1869, son of David and Elizabeth
(Tyson) Grieve. He was educated in the district school and acquired his knowledge
of agriculture on the home farm of his parents, lying in Plainview Township.
At times also he worked for others as a farm hand. After his father's death
in 1899 he took charge of the home farm, which he operated until June, 1919,
when the farm was sold, and in the following September he removed to Plainview,
where he is now living with his mother. Mr. Grieve was married, April 7, 1896,
to Daisy Sargent, daughter of Marcenus and Julia (Smith) Sargent, who were
early settlers in Wabasha County, her mother being a sister of Mrs. Orin Wood.
There were five children in the Grieve family, three of whom are now living:
Blanche, Ila and Milton. Blanche, who married Adolph Muessell, lives on a
farm in Plainview Township, and has two sons, Ralph and Byrl. Ila and Milton
are residing at home. Those deceased are: David, who died at the age of four
and a half years, December 27, 1905; and one who died in infancy with his
mother, July 2, 1913. Mr. Grieve was for twelve years chairman of the Plainview
town board. He is fraternally affiliated with the Masons, Odd Fellows and
Woodmen. As a public official he showed efficiency and a keen perception of
local needs and interests and as a man and citizen is esteemed by his fellow
townsmen, as one with an honorable career who has done his part in helping
to build up the resources of the county.
Grobe, Charles (page 566), one of the self-made men of Wabasha County, who from a humble beginning, has by long continued industry attained affluence, and is now one of the leading citizens of West Albany Township, residing on a farm in section 17, was born in Hanover, Germany, January 24, 1863. His parents were August and Johanna (Weidenmeier) Grobe, the father being a small farmer. In his boyhood Charles Grove attended common school up to the age of 14 years. At 15 he began to learn the shoemaker's trade and worked at it subsequently for five years. In 1883, at the age of 20, he came to America and prolonging his westward journey to Minnesota, finally arrived in West Albany Township, this county, where he had an uncle. He at once became connected with the agricultural industry, finding employment as a farm hand with William Heinz, for whom he worked four years, and later with Joseph Benz, in whose employ he remained six years. During those ten years of steady work he never lost a day, and the money he earned, except what he paid out for necessities, was carefully saved to form a basis of capital for future independent operations. At last the time came when he felt able to branch out on his own account, and in order to do so more effectually, he wisely resolved to take a partner, for better or for worse, in the strenuous pursuit of fortune. Love directed his choice, and on September 26, 1892, he was united in marriage with Eda Bertha Frank, daughter of Charles and Julia Frank, of West Albany. She was born in Germany, January 17, 1874, and came to America at the age of 18 years with her brother Theodore, her father and another brother, Charles, having preceded them to this country. Mr. and Mrs. Grobe began home making on a farm belonging to Joseph Benz, in section 17, West Albany Township, which they rented for five years. Economy was carefully practiced by the young couple and both worked hard and, as a result, made progress. In 1897 Mr. Grobe bought the Richard Hammond farm of 160 acres in section 8, West Albany, and he and his wife moved onto it. There was a fair set of buildings and 145 acres of the land had been broken. Mr. Grobe grubbed twelve acres, remodeled the house, built a frame barn, 36 by 76 by 14 feet, with full basement of 9 feet, and a machine shed, besides making other improvements from time to time, as they were needed. On that farm he resided with his family for 20 years, the end of that period finding him well advanced on the road to prosperity. He was already the owner of his present place in section 17, having purchased it of Joseph Benz in 1902. It was only half a mile south of where he was then living, and was a farm of 297 acres, with 200 under the plow, and with a fair set of buildings. On moving to it in 1917, he leased the Hammond farm to his son William, and his main efforts both since then and previously, have been to develop the larger property. This he has done very effectually., having remodeled the house, now a modern, nine-room, two-story frame structure; built a frame barn, 36 by 80 by 14 feet, with full basement of 8 feet, cement floors, steel stanchions, and running water; and also put up granaries, machine sheds, and steel windmill, with the result of making it one of the finest and best equipped farms in this locality. In addition to this, he owns and operates a large threshing outfit, and is the owner of a 300-acre farm near Millville, in Oakwood Township. This latter farm, 160 acres of which are under the plow, and which has a fair set of buildings, he rents out to a tenant. Since selling 160 acres to his son William, he has bought another 160-acre tract near Jacksonville, known as the Christ Hyde farm. On his own place Mr. Grobe is engaged in diversified farming, keeping good stock, his cattle, of the Shorthorn variety, numbering from 60 to 70 head. He has led a regular life, has shunned the saloon, and refrained even from tobacco, conserving his energies for the main duties of life, and in their full and exact performance has found no need for either stimulants or narcotics. He and his family are members of the West Albany congregation of the German M. E. church, of which he is a trustee. Throughout the 27 years of their married life he and his wife have worked together, and are now enjoying the results of the mutual labors. They have a high standing in the community, and have brought up their children in habits of industry, morality and religious observance. These children are as follows: William Carl, born September 15, 1893, who operates one of his father's farms, on rental which he bought in 1920, was married November 10, 1917, to Ella Fick, daughter of William and Christina Fick. He has one child, Ruth, born August 13, 1918. Vanda Alfrida, born February 2, 1896, as yet unmarried, is a trained nurse. She graduated from the Dorcas Institute at Cincinnati, then entered the Berthesda Hospital where she remained eleven months, and on account of sickness returned to her home, remaining nine months, then entered the Lake City Hospital, remaining there one and a half years; then entered the Minneapolis General Hospital where she graduated June 2, 1920. Charles John, born February 26, 1899, and Alfred Gothard, born July 15, 1903, are associated with their father in agricultural work. Florence Julia and Frances Johanna (twins), born August 22, 1904, are attending school.
Grossback, Fred (page 727), a prosperous farmer of Mazeppa Township, of which he is one of the supervisors, was born in Goodhue County, Minn., April 6, 1883, son of Joseph and Frances (Kunert) Grossback. The father was born in Germany and came to America in 1856 with his parents, who settled in Wisconsin, where the family remained for 19 years. In 1875 Joseph Grossback came to Minnesota and settled on a tract of 160 acres of land in Goodhue County, where he began farming. He erected a set of buildings and in time cleared most of this land. In 1885 he bought 120 acres in Mazeppa Township, on which farm also he erected buildings, and where he remained ten years. In 1895 he bought 137 acres in Mazeppa Township. Ambitious and enterprising, he worked hard and became prosperous, at one time owning 657 acres in Goodhue and Wabasha Counties. In 1917 he retired and now resides in the village of Mazeppa. He and his wife have been the parents of ten children, Anna, Joseph, Albert, Rudolph, Fred, Edmond, John, Ignatz, Lawrence and George. The religious affiliations of the family are with the Lutheran church. Fred Grossback acquired his education in the district school. From early youth his occupation has been that of a farmer, and until 1907 he worked for his father. He then began on his own account by renting a farm of 135 acres in sections 19 and 30, Mazeppa Township, which he operated for four years. In 1911 he bought this farm of his father, and has since made some improvements on it. He follows general farming and stock raising, and is making satisfactory financial progress. For a number of years he has been a prominent citizen of his township, which he has served as supervisor for five years, being chairman of the board for two years of that time, a position in which he is still serving. He has also been for two years a member of the school board of district No. 76. He is vice president of the Peoples State Bank of Mazeppa and has been a director of the Mazeppa Shipping Association since it was organized. He is a member of the Lutheran church and fraternally, of the Modern Woodmen of America. On October 22, 1907, Mr. Grossback was united in marriage with Anna Larson, who was born September 15, 1882, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Larson, who were farming people of Mazeppa Township. Mr. and Mrs. Larson, deceased, the former dying January 11, 1913, and the latter November 10, 1894. They had seven children: Ella, Lillie, Anna, Mabel, Joseph, Elmer and Reed. To Mr. and Mrs. Fred Grossback three children have been born: Bernice C., on October 10, 1908; Glenn C., September 26, 1910, and Lloyd D., July 8, 1912.
Grossbach, Ignatz (page 780), who is prosperously engaged in agricultural pursuits in section 9, Mazeppa Township, was born in Pine Island Township, Goodhue County, Minn., March 25, 1890, son of Joseph and Frances (Kunert) Grossback. The parents came to this country from Germany in 1856 and for 19 years were residents of Wisconsin. In 1875 they removed to Goodhue County, Minn., where Joseph Grossbach took 160 acres of land and developed a farm on which he erected the buildings. In 1885 he moved with his family to Mazeppa Township, where he improved another farm, and in 1895 took another farm, of 137 acres, in this township, which he operated until his retirement in 1917. He now resides in the village of Mazeppa. Ignatz Grossbach was educated in the district school and the high school at Zumbrota. He was trained to agriculture and worked for his father until 1918, in which year he started in for himself, buying his present farm of 137 acres in section 9, Mazeppa Township. Here he is carrying on diversified farming and stock raising and making good financial progress. His religious affiliations are with the German Lutheran church. Mr. Grossbach was married November 25, 1918, to Bessie Copp, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harry Copp of Gillford Township, of which her parents are natives and where they are now operating a farm. She is one of family of seven children: Ruth, Archie, Walter, Bessie, Margaret, Edwin and Iva. The Copp family are affiliated religiously with the Methodist Episcopal church, and both the Copp and Grossbach families stand well in the community, their various members being intelligent, law-abiding, industrious and progressive.
Grove, Martin A. (page 678), veteran of the Civil War, prominent public official, substantial business man and successful agriculturist, has been an important factor in the life of Wabasha County for many years. As a Civil War soldier he offered his best to his country's service, and bears to this day the scars of this heroism; as a business man, whether clerk or proprietor, he was accommodating, affable and efficient; as a public official he gave to this county and township the advantages of his wide experience and keen judgment, and as an agriculturist he developed an excellent farm. In addition to this, he and his good wife reared a family of children, who have taken a prominent part in the professions, and have been a credit to the county that gave them birth. Now in the prime of life, he looks back over the years well spent, content in the fact that he has been permitted to take so goodly a share in the world's work. Martin Andreas Grove was born in Valders, Norway, May 8, 1846, the son of Andrew and Ona (Olson) Grove, worthy farmers of that country. Of the large family born to this worthy couple, Julia, the eldest, married and spent her life in the old country, while Knute, Clara, Ole, Nels, Andrew and Martin A. came to this country. All are dead except Andrew, who lives in Fertile, Worth County, Iowa, and Martin A. The family came to America in 1852 and settled in Black Earth, Dane County, Wis. After the death of the mother in 1872, the father took up his home with his son, Martin A., in Wabasha County, Minn., and died in 1872. Martin A. received his education in Wisconsin and was reared to farm pursuits. At the age of 19, in the early spring of 1865, he enlisted in Co. G, 38th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and was sent South. He participated in the skirmishes before Petersburg, Va., and in the taking of Petersburg and Richmond. In the actions incident to the latter, he was shot through the left arm below the elbow, which caused a permanent stiffness of that member. Upon recovering from his wound, he became a clerk in a general store at Black Earth. In 1867 he came to Minnesota, and became a clerk in the store of F. A. Cornwall. Two years later he was married, and the young couple took up their home in Lake City, where Mr. Grove was employed as a clerk by H. F. Williamson. In 1872 he purchased a quarter section in Oakwood Township. There he lived and labored for many years, developing a well-improved place, and carrying on general farming, dairying and stock raising on a successful scale. In 1899 he came to Plainview village, and for a number of years engaged in business, first as a dealer in farm implements, and later as a furniture dealer and undertaker. Afterward he retired, and now devotes his time to looking after his various interests, including considerable real estate holdings in North Dakota. In public life, Mr. Grove's influence has ever been toward the best interests of the community. In addition to filling with credit various local, school and town offices, he served with distinction as county commissioner and during this long period was several times chairman, guiding the affairs of the county with dignity and discretion. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic order and the G. A. R. In the G. A. R. he is one of the five surviving members of the Post at Plainview. He has been an active member in the Methodist Episcopal church, and for many years was Sunday school superintendent at Millville, in addition to serving the church in several official capacities. Mr. Grove was married October 31, 1869, to Mary Christopherson, who was born in Norway, daughter of Christopher and Jennie (Nelson) Christopherson, who came to America in the middle fifties, and lived in Wisconsin and Iowa, before coming to Oakwood Township, where they spent the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Grove died December 6, 1916. She was a woman of sterling qualities, a loving wife, and an ideal mother, and her memory is sacredly cherished. Mr. and Mrs. Grove were blessed with eight children: Illey Anders, Carl Joseph, Alfred Joseph, George Nimes, Martin Melvin, Ina Jemema, Arthur Francis and Lilly Irene. Illey Anders married Fannie Bailey of Zumbro, this county, and died March 3, 1915. Carl Joseph married Lulu Bailey of Zumbro, has one son and is now a dentist at St. Paul. Alfred Joseph is a farmer and business man. Martin Melvin married Grace Fisk, of Plainview, this county, and is now a dentist at Dell Rapids, S. D. Ina Jemema is dead. Arthur Francis married Gusta Diana and lives in Dell Rapids, S. D. Lilly Irene married Roby R. Fisk, a physician of Flandreau, S. D. They have two sons.
Guehlke, Fred W. (page 734), who has been a resident of Chester Township for the last 36 years, and is one of its well known and highly esteemed citizens, was born in Posen, Germany, September 5, 1855. He remained in his native land until 29 years old, coming to the United States and to Wabasha County, Minn., in 1884. For seven years after his arrival he rented a farm, and in 1891 bought 120 acres in section 33, Chester Township. On this place he erected the entire set of buildings, and followed general farming and stock raising industriously and successfully until 1918, when he retired from active work, renting the farm to his son Charles. He now resides with his daughter, Mrs. Herman Behm. Mr. Guehlke was married February 1, 1885, the year after he had arrived in this country, to Katherine Nearing, a native of Germany, and they spent 25 happy years of wedlock together, which were brought to an end by Mrs. Guelhlke's death on December 15, 1910. They were the parents of seven children: Edward E., born July 29, 1890; Lydia, born May 30, 1892, now the wife of Herman Rehm; William, born in February, 1894; John, born June 2, 1896, who served in the late war; Fred, born March 15, 1898; Albert, born December 19, 1904; and Otto, born May 17, 1908, who died when seven weeks old. John Guehlke was drafted June 24, 1918, and sent to Camp Grant, and afterwards to Camp Dix. He left for France September 9, 1918, and served eight months there in the 86th and 78th Divisions, successively. He saw active service for 22 days on the front lines in the Argonne Forest and the Argonne-Meuse sector. He was discharged June 3, 1919. All the members of the Guehlke family have been trained in habits of industry and are useful members of the community in which they reside. The Guehlke farm is productive and well managed.