Jacob, Charles (page 557), who is operating the old Jacob farm in section 18, West Albany Township, engaged chiefly in stock raising, was born in this township, March 28, 1873, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Scherer) Jacob. He was educated in District School No. 86, which he attended to the age of 15 years, and remained on the home farm until 1900. On October 11, 1893, he married Anna Burkhardt, daughter of Rudolph and Barbara Burkhardt, of Pepin Township, where she was born June 15, 1876. Her parents had come to this country at an early date from Switzerland. Mr. Jacob began domestic life on the home farm, but has been away from it at times, spending some time in Wabasha engaged in farming and railroad work, about three years in Plainview, where he manufactured brick with his brother-in-law, Alfred Burkhardt, and five years in Hammond, where he operated the William Anderson farm. In the spring of 1916 he returned to the home farm in West Albany Township, buying out his brother John's interest in the stock and machinery, his mother having a life interest in the farm, which contains 230 acres. Of its entire area 90 acres are under cultivation, the balance being in pasture and timber. Mr. Jacob feeds everything he raises on the farm to his stock, which consists of grade Durham and Hereford cattle, Chester-White hogs and Shropshire sheep. He has a good operating equipment and doing a successful business. His principal market is Lake City, ten miles north. Mr. Jacob is a stockholder in the Wabasha "Leader." Previously a Republican, he is now a member of the Non-Partisan League. He and his family belong to the Reformed Lutheran church. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob are: Harry R., born March 26, 1901; Bessie B., September 9,. 1902; Dorance A., March 12, 1904; Secavera E., November 16, 1906; Roy F., September 19, 1908, and Florence, May 7, 1909. Mr. Jacob was one of a family of six children, of whom he was the second in order of birth. His elder brother, Frederick Grinnell, is a farmer in North Dakota. Another brother, Edward, lives in Lake City. Josephine is the wife of Charles Lange, of St. Joseph, N. D. Louisa, who married Lester Cottin, of West Albany Township, died in 1913. Derna is the wife of Frank Schucardt, of Rochester, Minn. John is a farmer in West Albany Township. Clara is the wife of Jacob Dawson, a farmer of New England, N. D. Henry Jacob, father of Charles, is now deceased, having passed away on the home farm.
Jacob, Frederick (page 389), who developed a good farm from a tract of wild land in Gillford Township, was born in Germany in 1845, and came to the United States at the age of eleven years. In 1864 he returned to Germany, but remained there only three months, coming back to this country at the end of that time with a party which included Alvina Kuhfuss, who in 1865 became his wife. For one year he and his bride resided with his parents on the John Jacobs farm, after which they began independent domestic life on the William Jacobs farm of 80 acres in West Albany Township, which Frederick Jacob after six or seven years sold to his brother William. He and his family then moved to a tract of 160 acres in Gillford Township, known as the McCarl homestead, which had some improvements, including a small frame house. With the passing of years other improvements were made until the place was a well tilled farm with suitable residence, barn and other buildings. Like the other settlers of his time, Mr. Jacob at first raised wheat, but in his latter years turned his attention to stock and barley. In 1899 he retired from active work, leased his farm, and moved to Lake City, where he died July 11, 1905, being buried in Oakwood Cemetery. His wife Alvina died December 6, 1915, having survived him ten years or more. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob had five children: Minnie, William F., Lena, Cassie and George F. Minnie, was born August 1, 1866, in West Albany Township, is now Mrs. J. M. Danckwardt, of Miami, Florida. William F., born May 28, 1868, in West Albany Township, is a stock buyer at Lake City. Lena, born April 26, 1871, is now Mrs. Henry Lemmer, of Leavenworth, Kans. Cassie, born November 8, 1873, is the wife of John Schmauss, an implement dealer of Lake City. George F., born August 21, 1883, is county treasurer of Wabasha County. Frederick Jacob, the father, was a Democrat in politics, and religiously a Lutheran, being prominent in the church. He was widely known and respected in West Albany, Gillford and Lake City.
Jacob, George F. (page 390), the efficient treasurer of Wabasha County, was born in Gillford Township, this county, October 21, 1883, son of Frederick and Alvina Kuhfuss Jacob. He attended the common schools of his neighborhood, and then entered Lake City schools, continuing his studies there until completing his junior year in high school. Then called home by his father's death, he settled his father's estate. Subsequently he continued farming on the home place, which he still owns, but which he now rents to a tenant. It consists of 240 acres of good land, well cultivated, and equipped with good tools and machinery. The buildings are all good and in good repair. In 1914, Mr. Jacob entered the employ of his brother-in-law John Schmauss, at Lake City. The next year he became a partner, and successfully continued until January 1, 1918, when he sold out to his partner. While farming, Mr. Jacob became known throughout the county, and his work at Lake City further increased his friendships. In 1918 he was urged to run for treasurer and after thinking the matter over accepted. He made a successful run, was elected, and took office January 1, 1919, having moved to Wabasha with his family a few days previous. Mr. Jacob's fraternal relations are with the Masons and he belongs to the Blue Lodge and Commandery at Lake City. He was married November 25, 1912, to Clara, daughter of Henry and Katherine Tiedemann, of Lake City, and they have two children: Frederick H., born December 13, 1916, and Catherine A., March 2, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob are members of St. Mark's Episcopal church at Lake City.
Jacob, William (page 351), an early settler in West Albany Township, where he now resides, in section 18, was born in Hanover, Germany, in July, 1847. In the early fifties his parents turned their thoughts toward emigration, wishing to live under a more liberal government, and with wider opportunities, than they had in their native land. The father resolved to come alone to this country and start a home before bringing the rest of the family and accordingly did so, locating at Bloomington, Illinois, where he found employment. In 1856 he returned to Germany for his family, which, in addition to his wife, then consisted of three sons and two daughters. Landing in New York after a voyage of 56 days on a sailing vessel, they proceeded west, but instead of settling in Bloomington, came on to Wabasha County, Minn., Mr. Jacob securing a land claim in West Albany Township. At that time there were no roads and they had to follow an Indian trail from their landing place to their claim, which contained 160 acres. After erecting the usual log house, they started in with oxen grubbing and clearing the land. Here William grew up, in his boyhood being deprived of educational opportunities, as there was then no school. He helped to develop the home farm, on which he remained until his marriage, January 20, 1873, to Anna McCracken, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William McCracken, of Glasgow Township. She was born in Bowmanville, Canada. After or at the time of his marriage, Mr. Jacob settled on a farm of 160 acres in section 18, West Albany Township, where they still reside in the enjoyment of good health. They subsequently acquired 88 acres in Gillford Township. The farm is now operated by their sons William and Henry, who carry on general farming and stock raising, breeding grade Hereford cattle, Duroc-Jersey hogs and Pure Bred Shropshire sheep. One child of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob died in infancy. Those now living are: William A., born October 22, 1873; Henry F., born April 7, 1875, and Emma, who is the wife of Herman Moechnig of Oakwood Township. The two sons are stockholders in the Co-operative Elevator Co. They have 120 acres of the farm under cultivation and are doing a successful business. William Jacob, the father, was one of the founders of Jacksonville Lutheran Church, to which the family belong.
Jacobs, J. (page 586), a well to do farmer of Plainview Township, who is making good progress along agricultural lines, was born in Mecklenburg Schwerin, Germany, January 11, 1864. He was educated in his native land and came to America in 1889 as a youth of 25 years, locating at once in Wabasha County, Minn. For two years he worked out on farms, saving his money with the view of ultimate independence. At the end of that time he rented a farm, which he operated two years, and then bought his present farm, at that time consisting of 117 acres, the area of which he has since increased by additional purchases to 362 acres. Sixty-two acres of it lie within the limits of Plainview village, the rest being in the township. The buildings have been remodeled or rebuilt by him, and include a barn 36 by 66 feet in size, also a good granary and machine sheds. He has a full complement of modern farm machinery, and has made the farm a paying investment. His principal stock consists of Durham cattle, with a full blooded sire, and Duroc-Jersey hogs. He is a stockholder in the Farmers Co-operative Creamery and a member of the Stock Shipping Association, and is the owner of two complete farms, one of 185 acres and the home farm of 177 acres. Mr. Jacobs was married December 7, 1890, to Minnie Schwartz, who was born in Germany December 22, 1864, the same year as himself, and also came to America in the same year that he did, 1889. They are the parents of five children, all residing at home, namely: Ernest, born March 13, 1892; Rudolph, December 31, 1893; Albert, July 31, 1896; Edwin, November 22, 1901; Alvin, October 24, 1907. The family are members of the Lutheran church.
Jacobs, Robert R. (page 303), proprietor of the White Front restaurant and ice cream parlor, the leading establishment of its kind in Plainview, was born in Germany, October 17, 1874, son of William and Wilhelmina (Dettbaren) Jacobs. The parents, who came to the United States in 1890, engaged in farming in New Hartford Township, Winona County, Minn., where the father died in 1904. The mother is still living on the old home farm. Robert R. Jacobs acquired his elementary schooling in his native land, and also for a few months attended an English school after coming to this country. He remained on the home farm until 1908, in which year he bought a farm in Dakota Valley, Winona County. This he conducted for two years, at the end of that time selling out and moving to Wabasha, where he engaged in the restaurant business. After six months, however, he had to give it up on account of his wife's illness, but soon after purchased the hotel at Kellogg, which he conducted until 1912. He then sold the hotel and coming to Plainview purchased his present restaurant and ice cream parlors. In this business he has been entirely successful. The place is conducted on a modern and sanitary basis, everything being neat and clean, and the food home cooked. In connection with that part of the business already mentioned, he handles a full line of pipes, cigars, cigarettes, tobacco and confectionery, and is in the enjoyment of a large patronage. In December, 1912, Mr. Jacobs bought the building which he occupies for business purposes, and also a good, modern residence adjoining it on the west. His business block is a frame structure of two stories and basement, and presents a neat and well kept appearance. Enterprising and far-sighted, he has taken his place among the successful men of the village, and is respected as a useful and progressive citizen. His religious affiliations are with the Lutheran church. Mr. Jacobs was married in October, 1902, to Emma Rellig, who was born at La Crosse, Wis. He and his wife have been the parents of three children: Paul, born June 20, 1903, who is a student in the Plainview high school, and in his spare time assists his father in the business; and Emil and Adolph, who both died in infancy.
Jacobs, William (page 580), a former resident of Chester Township, Wabasha County, where he was engaged in farming, was a native of Luxemburg, where he grew to manhood and was employed by a ship building company in getting out ship timber. He was married in Beford, Luxemburg, in 1844, to Mary Plaine, and for 24 years thereafter continued to reside in his native land. Then in 1868 he came with his wife and family to the United States, proceeding west to Wabasha County, Minn., where he arrived in October. He was well provided with funds, having in his possession about $2000 in gold. That fall he located on rented land in Pepin Township, about two miles from Reed's Landing, and engaged in farming. After remaining in that location for four years, in 1872 he bought 160 acres in Watonwan County, Minn., between St. James and Medelia and moved there, but left his family here the first season. His prospects in Watonwan County were, however, blasted by the grasshopper scourge and he lost all he had invested there. Returning to Wabasha County, he bought an improved tract of 80 acres in Chester Township and set to work to recoup his fortunes. The family lived on this farm for 18 years, or until Mr. Jacobs' death. He was survived by his wife, who, however, finally passed away. They were the parents of six children: Mary, now the widow of John Beaver of Wabasha; Margaret, the widow of Peter Frisch of Minneapolis; Anna, now Mrs. John Carrels of Wabasha; Catherine, who is the widow of Nicholas Bartholomew and resides at Bellchester in Chester Township, Wabasha County; Katy, who is the wife of Nicholas Trienem of Morris, Minn., and William T., of Wabasha.
Jacobs, William T. (page 580), proprietor of a livery, garage and auto bus line in Wabasha city, was born in Luxemburg, February 2, 1861, son of William and Mary (Pline) Jacobs. He was about seven years old when he accompanied his parents to the United States, and could already read and write, having attended school in his native land. His education was continued up to the age of 18 in the Wabasha public school, and afterwards for a year in St. Francis Academy at Milwaukee, Wis. He then returned to his parents' farm in Chester Township, Wabasha County, and remained there until 1888, in the fall of that year coming to Wabasha city. Here in 1895 he engaged in the livery business, to which in 1915 he added a garage and auto department and has since operated an auto bus line. These enterprises he has conducted with good judgment and they have developed to profitable proportions. Mr. Jacobs owns a comfortable home in Wabasha and is numbered among the prosperous business men of the city. Politically a Democrat, he formerly served one term as clerk of Chester Township. On February 5, 1894, he was united in marriage with Catherine, daughter of Adolph and Margaret Funke, who was born in Luxemburg, November 5, 1865, and came to this country along about 1888. Shortly after his marriage he sent for his wife's parents to come to this country, and the father subsequently died in Wabasha County, and the mother in Harvey, N. D. To Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs have been born six children, as follows: Margaret, November 5, 1894; John P., October 5, 1896; Cecelia, January 27, 1900; William, August 9, 1903; Helen, August 9, 1906; and George, March 2, 1907. Margaret, who was graduated from Wabasha High School and the Winona Normal School, is now teaching in Wabasha County. John P., who is employed by his father in the latter's garage, enlisted in the spring of 1918 in the U. S. Navy, trained at the Great Lakes naval station, and was discharged January 10, 1919, without having seen service abroad. Cecelia now graduated from the Wabasha schools and the Winona Business College, and is now engaged in stenography and typewriting. William, Helen and George are still pursuing their studies. Mr. Jacobs and family are members of St. Felix parish of the Catholic church in Wabasha, and he also belongs to the Knights of Columbus.
Jacoby, August (page 669), a capable and successful farmer of Glasgow Township, where he has resided for many years, was born in Luxemburg, April 15, 1848, son of Michael and Catherine (Sholtes) Jacoby. The father was a potter by trade, but August was brought up to farming, which occupation he followed in Luxemburg except for one year, when he worked in a flour mill. In 1874 he came to the United States and to Wabasha County, Minnesota, arriving at Read's Landing June 5. His parents followed him, arriving in the county in September and buying a farm of 103 acres in section 4, Glasgow Township. Here the mother died in May, 1875, after a residence of only eight months. Her loss was deeply felt by her husband and family, the former remaining a widower to the end of his life. Mr. and Mrs. Michael Jacoby had five children: Mary, now deceased, who was the wife of Nicholas Engel of Euclid, Polk County; August, subject of this sketch; Anna, who is the widow of a Mr. McCove and resides in Chicago; Michael, deceased, who was a resident of Duluth; and Anna Catherine, who died unmarried. August Jacoby after coming to Wabasha County worked out one season as a farm hand on Pepin Hill. After his parents had arrived in the fall and taken their farm in Glasgow Township, he joined them and operated the farm, on which he has since resided. He has been a hard and successful worker, and has acquired a competency. For three years he was a member of the town board. He was married, February 28, 1883, to Margaret, daughter of Johann Peter and Elizabeth Meyer, natives of Luxemburg, where she was born October 4, 1861. She came to America in March, 1882, with her brother William, who is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Jacoby have had seven children, as follows: William, born November 13, 1883, who died March 11, 1900; John, born November 1, 1884, who died November 1, 1918; Clara E., born January 8, 1888, who became the wife of Matt Marx, and died March 13, 1911; George, born November 2, 1890, now living on the home farm; Frank Joseph and Anna Mary (twins), born December 5, 1898, of whom Anna Mary died in infancy; and Nicholas, born October 22, 1901. Frank J. and Nicholas are now operating the home farm, Mr. Jacoby having given up the harder work on it, though he still performs light tasks. Though he and his wife were reared in the Catholic faith they are now liberal in their religious views, but in politics Mr. Jacoby is independent, not being bound to any party but considering first the character of the respective candidates.
Jenks, Marcus E. (page 274), now living retired in the Village of Plainview, was born in Walworth County, Wisconsin, November 17, 1861, son of Samuel Levant and Alice A. (Leach) Jenks. In his boyhood he attended school in Little Valley, Olmsted County, Minn., and remained on the parental farm until he was 24 years old. Then for several years he was engaged in the livery business at Plainview. The rest of his active career was spent in general farming. He is now occupying the old Jenks home on Jefferson street, Plainview, which was built by his father, and a part of which he rents to a tenant. He is a member of Illustrious Lodge, No. 63, A. F. & A. M., Plainview; the Commandery at Rochester (Home Commandery No. 5); Winona Consistory No. 4, and Osmund Temple, St. Paul.
Jenks, Samuel Levant (page 273), better known as "Captain Jenks," whose life in Plainview extended over a period of ten years, from 1890 to the year of his death, 1900, was a man whose personality left a strong impress on the community which subsequent time has not been able to obliterate. He was born in Genessee County, N. Y., in 1836, and in 1840 removed with his parents to Pennsylvania, and thence to Walworth County, Wis., where he grew to manhood and acquired his education. In 1864 he came to Winona, Minn., and in the spring of 1865 located on a tract of 80 acres in Quincy Township, Olmsted County. The land was all wild and Mr. Jenks was confronted by the problem, so familiar to the pioneer, of developing it into a paying farm-a problem that could only be attacked in the spirit of conquest and determination, backed by iron muscles and inexhaustible patience. In such a spirit, and with such resources to back him, Mr. Jenks attacked it, and in the end was conqueror. Though the fight with nature was long, the end was never doubtful, provided life were spared. Step by step he progressed, grubbing and breaking the land and erecting buildings, and, not satisfied with his original 80 acres, he enlarged his task by the purchase of additional tracts until his farm had an area of 280 acres. A large part of his attention was devoted to stock raising and buying, and of all kinds of stock he was an expert judge, his reputation extending for many miles around. Moreover, his honesty was on a par with his knowledge and experience, and no one ever had cause to say that he had been cheated in a stock transaction or business deal by Mr. Jenks. He stuck close to the Golden Rule and men had confidence in him. They believed what he told them in all matters of trade, and knew they could afford to do so. He paid a fair price for what he bought, and when he sold the buyer knew that he was receiving full value for his money. In 1890 Mr. Jenks moved to Plainview, and, purchasing lots on Jefferson street, erected a fine house for his personal residence. Here he continued in the business of stock buying, being associated therein at different times, with H. K. Knowlton and George A. Hollenbech. He also served as a member of the town board and school board, and as constable. His rugged honesty and genial disposition made him friends everywhere, and every boy on the street saluted him familiarly as "Capt. Jenks." For ten years he was one of the honored citizens of Plainview, and then, on November 8, 1900, came the final summons, and his family and friends gazed for the last time on the face of him whom they loved. Mr. Jenks was married in 1860 to Alice A. Leach, who was born in 1837, and who survived him 17 years, passing away in April, 1917. They were the parents of three children: Marcus E. and Edith Marcia (twins), born November 17, 1861; and Vanie J. P., who died at the age of 14 years. Edith Marcia, who graduated from the Winona State Normal School, was for several years a school teacher, and later was employed as a typist in St. Paul and Minneapolis, being more than usually competent. Mr. Jenks was a member of the Masonic order, Illustrious Lodge No. 63.
Johnson, Alfred L. (page 607), who ranks among the industrious and successful farmers of Watopa Township, was born in the village of Weaver, Wabasha County, Minn., July 16, 1893, son of Jonas and Mary (Jacoby) Johnson. The father, a native of Sweden, came to the United States in 1864, and proceeding west to Minnesota, settled in Wabasha County. Here he married Mary Jacoby, who was born in Iowa. They are now residing in Watopa Township. They have had seven children, Margaret, Ella, Harry, Alfred, Bertha, Leroy and Nelse. Leroy is now deceased. Alfred L. Johnson resided with his parents until 15 years of age, in the meanwhile attending district school in Winona and Wabasha Counties. After that, until 1915, he worked on farms in Wabasha County, and then took a half interest in a rented farm of 160 acres, which he cultivated. In 1916 he rented the Maloney farm, on which he remained two years, or until 1918, in which year he rented the John Johnson farm of 320 acres in Watopa Township, on which he is now living, and successfully operating, owning the stock and machinery. Mr. Johnson was married January 19, 1915, to Margaret Nepper, daughter of Peter and Mary (Heaser) Nepper of Minneiska Township, her parents being natives of Wabasha County. There were six children in the Nepper family, Veronica, Margaret, Katie, Minnie, Frederick and Mary, of whom Veronica and Minnie are now deceased. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred L. Johnson are: Leroy F., born July 17, 1916; Veronica C., born September 7, 1917, and Loretta M., born June 27, 1919. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church, and his wife and children of the Catholic church.
Johnson, August F. (page 283), a prosperous business man of Plainview, formerly engaged in agricultural pursuits, was born in Whitewater Township, Winona county, March 25, 1889, son of Frank and Christina (Johnson) Johnson. The parents were natives of Sweden, who came to America when young, and settled in Whitewater Township, Winona County, Minn., where for a number of years they were engaged in farming. Later they moved to Plainview village, where the father still resides. The mother died April 17, 1911. August F. Johnson, who was his parents' only child, was educated in the district schools of Winona County. He grew to manhood on the parental farm, which in time he rented, conducting it on his own account for a year and a half. He then rented a farm in Highland Township, Wabasha County, for one year, and after that, in 1915, purchased a farm of 95 1/2 acres in Plainview Township, section 4, where he farmed until the fall of 1919. Then selling his farm, he moved to the village of Plainview and purchased his present home, a handsome seven-room bungalow. He is now salesman for the Independent Co., selling silos and milking machines and Mitchell barn equipment, in which occupation he is meeting with encouraging success. Mr. Johnson was married, June 19, 1912, to Catherine Foley, who was born in Highland Township, this county, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Foley. She is a member of the Catholic church, and of the Royal Neighbors and Daughters of Isabella. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson three children have been born: Arvid J., September 25, 1913; Madelyn E., October 31, 1914, and Ronald J., February 18, 1917.
Johnson, Edward Z. (page 638), who was for many years one of the well known and substantial farmers of Hyde Park Township, was a native of Sweden, and was married in his native land to Charlotte U. Forslund. In 1868, leaving his wife and family behind, he came to the United States to establish a new home, and on arriving in Wabasha County, Minnesota, bought 160 acres in Hyde Park Township, where his wife joined him in the following year. Mr. Johnson soon sold 10 acres of his land for the Jarretts mill site, and the railroad, which cut through his farm, took another portion, but he bought enough additional land to make up the original area of 160 acres. The farm was rough and heavily timbered, but he grubbed and cleared the land, erecting buildings, and in time became one of the prosperous farmers of the county. His death took place on the old homestead, July 9, 1907. His wife survived him eleven years, passing away at the home of her daughter Ella (Mrs. Richard Preston) at Jarretts, August 16, 1918. They were the parents of seven children, the two eldest of whom, Fannie and Victor, died in Sweden. The others were: Ella, now Mrs. Richard Preston, of Jarretts; Frederick, residing in Plainview; Emma, who is a missionary at Flagstaff, Arizona; Emery, who died at the age of 15 months; and Caroline, now Mrs. Joseph Bricher of Cottage Grove, Oregon.
Johnson, Frederick (page 638), proprietor, with his sons, of a stock and dairy farm of 320 acres, known by the name of "Ioka," and located in Elgin Township, was born in Hyde Park Township, this county, October 28, 1872, son of Edward Z. and Charlotte U. (Forslund) Johnson. His was the usual education of a farmer's boy, acquired in the district school, and he grew to manhood on the home farm, where he remained until his marriage at the age of 24 years. In 1903 he rented a farm of 160 acres in Oakwood Township, which he operated for five years. Then in 1907 he bought his parents' farm and moved onto it, registering it as "Hillcrest." Both land and buildings were badly run down, and he set to work to build it up again, remodeling the buildings, erecting barns, a silo, and outbuildings, and planting a fine orchard of 100 trees. In 1911 Mr. Johnson purchased 69 acres adjoining his place, and thus found himself in possession of a fine farm of 266 acres, where he carried on farming and dairying until 1917, making a specialty of the dairy business. He then sold that place and bought his present farm of 320 acres in sections 10 and 11, Elgin Township, which is now owned by himself and his two sons, Gordon E. and Clinton F. This is one of the best dairy farms in the township and well justifies its name of Ioka, meaning "beautiful." Mr. Johnson resided thereon until November 12, 1919, when he took up his residence in Plainview village, where he had bought a nice residence in the previous month of July. He still continues active work on the farm, however, driving back and forth the distance of four and a half miles. He and his sons have made important improvements on the place, having remodeled the buildings, fenced nearly the entire farm, and set out a fine orchard. They are breeders of pure Chester-White hogs and Jersey cattle, and also raise fruits and berries. Mr. Johnson was chairman of the Hyde Park Township board for six years and was a member of the school board one term. He and his family are affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church. On February 12, 1896, Frederick Johnson was married to Ella E. Fanning, who was born January 28, 1874, at Hyde Park Corners, in Gillford Township, daughter of Samuel and Mary A. (Baldwin) Fanning. Of this union have been born six children: Gordon E., November 1, 1896; Clinton F., July 16, 1898; Lotta May, July 14, 1899; Vendetta E., April 13, 1905; Dorand David, June 9, 1907; and Leroy Vincent, October 21, 1909. Gordon E. married Lillian Zink of Spring Valley. Lotta May was married, June 18, 1919, to Harold K. Gregor, and lives on a farm in Oakwood Township. Vendetta E. is a student in the Plainview high school.
Johnson, Harry A. (page 390), an active and successful farmer of section 25, Plainview Township, where he has been located for the last ten years, was born in Winona County, Minnesota, April 1, 1888, son of Fred and Anna (Carlson) Johnson. The parents were natives of Sweden who were married in Minnesota, and subsequently engaged in farming in Winona County until 1897. They then moved to Wabasha County, where they continued in agricultural pursuits for a number of years. The mother died in December, 1914, but the father is still living and is now a resident of Plainview. Harry A. Johnson was educated in the rural schools of Winona, Olmsted and Wabasha Counties. He early acquired a practical knowledge of agriculture, and in 1910 started in for himself, renting the Milton Smith farm in Section 25, Plainview Township. In May, 1919, he bought the property, which comprises 159 acres, and has since remodeled the buildings and made various improvements. He is prosperously engaged in general farming, keeping Holstein-Frisian cattle and Poland-China hogs, and has gained a place among the well-to-do citizens of his township. Mr. Johnson was married September 12, 1912, to Lydia Schultz, who was born in Plainview Township, Wabasha County, March 15, 1892, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Schultz. He and his wife are the parents of two children: Kenneth T., born August 14, 1913; and Virgil E., born August 4, 1916. Mr. Johnson and his family are members of the Lutheran church.
Johnson, Jonas (page 606), who is operating a farm of 213 acres in section 28, Watopa Township, was born in Sweden, December 16, 1858, and came to America in 1864 with his parents, Ole and Anna (Larson) Johnson. They settled in Wabasha County, Minnesota, on East Indian Creek, Watopa Township, where Ole Johnson was engaged in general farming and stock raising until his death in 1894. His wife died in 1864. Their children were John, Nels, Andrew, Ole, Jonas, Johanna and Kate. Lena and Christina, John and Nels being twins. Nels, Andrew, Lena, Christina and Kate are now deceased. Jonas Johnson was reared in Watopa Township and educated in the school of his district. He then worked for his father until 1882, and then until 1894 rented and operated the home farm. After that he lived at Oak Ridge for seven years, but in 1910 again rented the home farm of 213 acres in section 28, Watopa, on which he is still residing, engaged profitably in general farming and stock raising. He belongs to the Swedish Lutheran church and to the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Johnson was married November 25, 1884, to Mary Jacoby, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Pete Jacoby of East Indian Creek. Mr. Jacoby died in 1896, but his wife is still living and resides on the Johnson farm with her daughter and son-in-law. There were six children in the Jacoby family: John (deceased), George, Lizzie, Margaret, Hannah and Mary. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have had seven children, as follows: Margaret H., born September 1, 1886, now Mrs. Frank Shultz; Ella M., born January 8, 1888, wife of Frank Schultz; Harry J., born October 25, 1890, who is residing at Oak Ridge; Alfred L., born July 16, 1893; Bertha M., born December 27, 1896, who is residing on the home farm; Rudie L., born November 3, 1899, who died February 16, 1902, and Lester N., born December 19, 1901, who is residing with his parents.
Johnson, Lloyd Kenneth (page 768), a rising young farmer of Watopa Township, where he owns an excellent farm, was born in Pepin Township, Wabasha County, Minn., March 27, 1891, son of Knud and Laura (Stenerson) Johnson. On his parents' farm he acquired an early knowledge of agriculture through practical experience, but his education was not neglected, as, after attending the common schools, he continued his studies in the high school at Wabasha until about 16 years old, and later spent two years in the agricultural college at St. Paul. At the age of 20 he rented a farm of 300 acres in Lake Township, this county, which he operated for two years in partnership with his brother Will. He then bought a small place of 80 acres at Wabasha, on which he spent two years, and at the end of that time bought his present farm of 240 acres well up the ridge in Watopa Township. This place, when he took it presented a very different appearance from what it does today, as the buildings were poor, and it had not been well taken care of. Through his own exertions he has since made it one of the best farms in the township, having carried out extensive improvements, including the construction of good buildings of ample capacity, the putting up of a large amount of fencing, the erection of a good silo, and the installation of all necessary machinery of modern type. He is engaged in diversified farming, and keeps good stock, including Guernsey cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs. His residence is also a neat and commodious building, well painted and kept in excellent condition, and he is regarded by his neighbors as a man who knows how to do things, and who, in the natural course of events, has a bright future before him. Mr. Johnson was married May 4, 1915, to Minnie Isabelle Failing, who was born in the town of Lake, January 2, 1891, daughter of Eugene and Ida (Watson) Failing. The father was a native of New York state, but came to Minnesota when young; the mother was born in Goodhue County, this state. Both are still living on the home farm. Their family numbered seven children: Herbert, residing at home; Florence, wife of Harry Beck, of Lake City; Clarence, of Seattle, Wash.; Minnie Isabelle, now Mrs. Lloyd K. Johnson; George, a physician, who married Ida May Willoughby, and resides at Lewiston, Minn.; Ernest and Jesse, who are living at home with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have one child, Laura Isabelle, who was born April 28, 1916. Mr. Johnson formerly belonged to the Congregational church at Wabasha. His fraternal affiliations are with the Modern Woodmen of America. Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Lake City.
Johnson, Knud (page 767), in former years a well known farmer and prosperous citizen of Pepin Township, was a native of Norway, and came to this country as a young and single man. At Read's Landing, Wabasha County, Minn., he was married to Laura Stenerson, who, like himself, was born in Norway, and after his marriage he began farming on the river bottoms. After a short time, however, he removed to a farm on top of the ridge in Pepin Township, which farm he spent the rest of his life in developing, his improvements adding to the agricultural resources of the township. In 1907 he became a widower, but survived his wife until October, 1915, when he, too, passed away. Mrs. Laura Johnson was his second wife, as by a previous marriage he had five children and by her, six. Those by the first marriage were: John, Jennie and Charles, residing on the home farm, the last mentioned of whom married Emma Rother of Theilman, Wabasha County; Emma, now residing in Winona, the wife of H. C. Stahman; and James, who resides in Crookston, Minn. The children of Mr. Johnson's second marriage were: Tena, wife of Will Bruner, living in California; Mabel, who married Fred Bade and resides in Lake City, this county; Idella, wife of Frank Higgins, of Columbia Falls, Mont.; Will, a resident of Wabasha, who married Anne Churchill; Eva, who married Henry Gierdt, and lives in San Andres, Calif; and Lloyd Kenneth, a well known farmer of Watopa Township.
Johnson, Knute (page 580), The story of Knute Johnson is that of a successful life. Born in Roros, Norway, December 26, 1830, he came to America in 1853, a young man full of vigor; he worked a short time at railroading in Chicago, went to Iowa in the fall of 1853, and in 1855 became a pioneer of Wabasha County, Minn. At Reed's Landing he found employment in the Marshall sawmill, his wages being $20 a month, and showed such intelligence and industry that he was made foreman, the assistant foreman being Lucas Kuehn, who afterward founded the Kuehn Mercantile Co. at Wabasha. Finally leaving the sawmill, Mr. Johnson went to Trout Creek Valley, Glasgow Township, and bought 400 acres of wild land on which he began farming. To this already large tract he added 160 acres. He remained there until 1877, and then, selling the farm, he bought 600 acres of wild land on Pepin Hill, in section 20, overlooking Lake Pepin, and once again began the work of improvement, in which his sons, when old enough, assisted, and together they cleared 250 acres, built a comfortable two-story frame house, a large barn with full stone basement, and other substantial structures. The work on these buildings Mr. Johnson did chiefly himself, as his original trade was that of carpenter. For 21 years he remained on that farm, engaged in general agriculture, having a first class equipment, and keeping good stock. Then in 1898 he moved to Wabasha that his younger children might enjoy better opportunities for education, leaving the farm in the hands of his sons, John and Charles. He was first married in 1854 to Johanna Christine Schanka, who died in 1873. In 1875 he married Laura Stenerson, who died October 11, 1898. After her death he returned to the farm and remained there until 1914. Then he again took up his residence in Wabasha, where he died October 10, 1915. Mr. Johnson was of a quiet, retiring nature and benevolent disposition. His innate force of character made him widely known and he was universally respected. He served the township at various times in public office, in politics being a republican. For many years he was a stockholder in and director of the First National Bank of Wabasha. Industry and thrift brought him success, and at his death he had acquired upwards of 1,400 acres of land in Wabasha County. By his two successive wives he had eleven children, all of whom are living, namely: Jennie, a resident of Wabasha; James, who is a blacksmith at Crookston, Minn.; Emma, now Mrs. H. C. Stahmann of Winona; Tena, who is the wife of W. C. Brunner of Delano, Calif; Mabel, now Mrs. Fred Bade of Glasgow Township; Eva Louise, wife of Henry Zeirtz of Delano, Calif.; Della, now Mrs. F. Higgins of Columbia Falls, Mont.; William, a farmer of Glasgow Township, this county; Lloyd K., a farmer at Weaver, this county; and John, born in Iowa, December 13, 1854; and Charles K., born in Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, July 9, 1864; who together own and operate the Pepin Hill farm, following general agriculture, including the raising of grade Shorthorn cattle and Poland-China swine. John, who is unmarried, was always associated with his father on the farm until the elder Mr. Johnson's retirement, and since then he has remained on it. Charles for 20 years followed well digging, but the farm was his home and for a number of years he has continuously resided on it. On November 21, 1906, he married Emma Rother, who was born October 29, 1883, daughter of Charles and Caroline (Cushman) Rother of Theilman, Wabasha County, and they have had three children: Leona, born February 17, 1908; Alvin J. P., born January 20, 1910; and Victor, born in 1914 and died in infancy. The family are members of the Norwegian Lutheran church.
Johnson, Otto (page 386), who is identified with the agricultural interests of Plainview Township, was born in Sweden, October 24, 1859. He was educated in his native land and came to the United States in 1880, locating in Minneiska, Wabasha County, Minn. For a while he worked out for others, but about 1886 he bought a farm of 160 acres in Whitewater Township, Winona County, which he operated for two years. At the end of that time he sold it and went to Watopa Township, where he rented his mother-in-law's farm, which he operated for six years. Then coming to Plainview Village, he worked out by the day for several years, earning only from 75 cents to one dollar a day. Previous to this he had become the owner of a house, which he now traded for machinery, and, having rented a farm from P. Lamprecht, he operated it for two years. At the end of that time he rented the farm on which he now lives, containing 160 acres in section 28, and after operating it under rental for six years, he purchased it. When he took possession the buildings were all poor, but he remodeled the house and in 1916 built a good modern barn, 36 by 72 feet ground dimensions, and he has also built a hen house and machine shed, besides putting up fencing. These improvements have greatly improved the aspect and value of his property. He is successfully carrying on mixed farming, his principal stock being Durham cattle and Chester-White hogs. Enterprising and industrious, he has made good strides on the road to prosperity and is numbered among the prosperous citizens of his township. Mr. Johns was married, at Winona, Minn., in March, 1887, to Amelia Olson, who was born in Weaver, Wabasha County, Minn. He and his wife are the parents of four children: Mildred, born in Winona County, February 17, 1888, now Mrs. Grover Tock of Rochester, her husband being a physician connected with the Rochester clinic, and who is the mother of one child, Vernon; Arthur V., born in Watopa Township, this county, who is assisting his father on the home farm; Camerd, born in Watopa Township, March 17, 1895; and Genevieve, born in Plainview Township in August, 1897, who is residing at home. The family's religious affiliations are with the Lutheran and M. E. churches. In politics Mr. Johnson is a Republican.
Johnson, William S. (page 738), a member of the firm of Bade & Johnson, proprietors of Trout Brook Stock Farm in Glasgow Township, was born in this township May 16, 1884, son of Knute and Laura (Steenerson) Johnson. The parents were natives of Norway and early settlers in Wabasha County. William D. acquired a good practical education, attending District School No. 3 in Pepin Township, and afterward for four years the Wabasha High School, while a pupil there being a member of the football team. He remained on the home farm on Pepin Hill until his marriage October 25, 1911, to Anna M. Churchill, who was born in Wabasha, March 24, 1890, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Scott Churchill. Then for two years he rented the Asplund farm in Lake Township. In 1913 Mr. Johnson, with his brother, Lloyd, bought 92 acres near Wabasha, and operated that farm for two years, at the end of which time he sold it and moved to Wabasha, where he resided until the spring of 1919. He then bought 161 acres of land in sections 6 and 7, Glasgow Township, in the locality known as Trout Brook Valley, 120 acres of it being improved. It was also provided with a good two-story frame house of modern construction. In the same year he entered into a partnership with Fred Bade and Bade & Johnson Stock Farm was founded. Diversified farming is followed, but the main purpose of the farm is fine stock raising, a business which Mr. Bade had been following for some years previously. The combined farms contain 465 acres, and at present the firm has a herd of 64 Shorthorn cattle, at the head of which is "Irish Poplin," an imported sire which cost $10,000. They have also made some progress in the breeding of pure blood Duroc swine. Suitable quarters have been provided for the stock, and Fred McNichol, an experienced herdsman, is in direct charge. The business is on a paying basis, with bright future prospects, and the firm of Bade & Johnson is becoming well known in stock circles. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are the parents of three children: Avis Clare, born October 21, 1912; Eleanor Ann, born February 3, 1916, and William Seward, born October 24, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Congregational church at Wabasha. In politics he is a Republican. Eugene Scott Churchill, father of Mrs. William S. Johnson, was born in Illinois, September 9, 1849. He was married to Emma Brown on December 30, 1881, and they became the parents of four children: Walter Scott, now deceased; Warner G., who is living in Wabasha; Anna M., now Mrs. W. S. Johnson; and Reta May, who is a nurse in the State Hospital at Phalen Park, Minneapolis.
Johnston, William Austin (page 409), a well known and respected citizen of Elgin Village, who is engaged in light occupation but otherwise practically retired, was born in Fond du Lac County, Wis., March 18, 1862, son of Robert Bruce and Rosetta (Robbins) Johnston. The father, who was born in Greenock, Scotland, in 1818, was originally a rope-maker by trade, but later became a carpenter, and still later a farmer. His wife, Rosetta, was born in Copenhagen, Lewis County, N. Y., and they were married in that state. They located in Fond du Lac County, Wis., in 1856, and for some three years Robert R. Johnston was there engaged in the manufacture of garden planters, in company with his wife's father, Austin Robbins, the inventor of the planter. After that Mr. Johnston worked 15 years as tank and bridge builder for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway. He then came to Minnesota and located on a farm in Viola Township, Olmsted County, having bought the property some eleven years previously. There he died January 16, 1911. His wife survived him a little over two years, passing away March 13, 1913. Their two children were: Emma M., who was born in New York State, July 6, 1851, and William Austin, the subject of this sketch. William Austin Johnston was educated in the stone schoolhouse of his district in Viola Township, Olmsted County, and also at the Elgin high school. He began industrial life as a worker on the home farm, of which in 1894, he became manager, and as such conducted it until 1916. He then moved to Elgin and bought his present modern residence on Park street, where he has since resided. He still works on the farm, however, helping the tenant to whom he has rented it. It is known as Pleasant View Farm, and contains 160 acres. All the important improvements on it were instituted by himself, he having rebuilt the house, put up out-buildings, and erected a good silo. During his independent career on the place he made a specialty of raising Black Pole Angus cattle and Duroc-Jersey seine, of which he bred large numbers, finding a profitable market. His sister, Emma, who kept house for him there, still performs that function in town. She was educated at Brandon, Wis., and at the Bernard School, a private institution, at Watertown, Wis., and subsequently taught school for several terms in Dodge County, Minn. Both brother and sister attend the Methodist Episcopal church in Elgin, and are numbered among the intelligent, progressive and useful members of the community.
Contact Fellow Genealogist: Sharon
Jones, David L. (page 750), engaged in agricultural development on a farm of 193 acres in Chester Township, was born in this township May 5, 1863, son of David and Mary (Lewis) Jones. The parents, natives of Wales, came to the United States in the early sixties. Later they settled in Chester Township, this county and state, where they farmed until the death of David Jones in 1898. On his homestead, which consisted of 160 acres in section 22, he had erected a set of buildings. His wife, now 87 years old, resides with her son, William. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as was also Mr. Jones. Their children were: Thomas, John, David, William, Hannah, Mary, Rosella and James, the last mentioned of whom is now deceased. David L. Jones acquired his education in the district school, and worked on the home farm until 1894. He then began farming on his own account, buying his present farm of 193 acres in sections 22 and 23, Chester Township, on which he built the residence and outbuildings. Here he has had a successful career, doing diversified farming and raising a high grade of stock. He was married December 10, 1892, to Gladys Davis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Davis, her parents being pioneers of Chester Township. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have been the parents of five children: Ray, born August 29, 1893, who died September 21 the same year; Neil R., born November 23, 1894, who served in the World War and is now a teacher in Montana; Murray F., born July 25, 1897, who is living on the home farm; Florence J., born March 24, 1899, now living in Bozeman, Mont., where she is employed as assistant treasurer of the Montana State College; and Margie M. born April 23, 1907, who is residing at home. Neil R. was drafted for military service February 22, 1918, and was a member of Company D, 313th Ammunition Train. Until July, 1918, he was at Camp Dodge, and subsequently in an officers' training school. He was made Sergeant September 18, 1918, and was discharged January 28, 1919. Robert Davis, father of Mrs. David L. Jones, was born in New Brunswick and went from there to the state of Illinois, where he farmed for a short time. Then, about 1856, he came to Wabasha County, Minn., where he was married in 1858. His wife was born in Vermont and came to Wabasha County, Minn., in 1857. They settled in Chester Township, their farm consisting of 127 acres in sections 27 and 34. The buildings on it were erected by Mr. Davis, whose death occurred July 24, 1901. His wife, who survived him, resided in Mazeppa until her death, October 3, 1920. Their children were Sadie, Fred, Mary, Gladys, Frank and Georgia, of whom Fred is now deceased.
Jones, R. E. (page 579), president of the R. E. Jones Co., incorporated, of Wabasha, one of the largest business concerns in southeastern Minnesota, was born at Cambria, Wis., January 14, 1855, son of John Ap and Elinor (Evans) Jones. The parents, who were natives of Wales, settled in Cambria in 1845, the year in which they came to America, which was soon after their marriage, as their son, R. E., was their first born child. The children subsequently born to them are: John D., who is now deceased; Richard, a resident of Foster, Wis.; Mary, deceased; Susan, who is principal of the Jefferson School at Winona, Minn., and Elinor, wife of John G. Dill of Wabasha. The father, John Ap Jones, was engaged in the elevator and grain business in Cambria until his death. His wife, who survived him, died in Wabasha at the home of her son, the subject of this sketch. R. E. Jones, who acquired his education in the public schools of Cambria, Wis., became associated with his father in the grain business there, and was thus occupied until he was 18 years old. During the next three years he was bookkeeper for Wheeler & Winter, provision dealers of Negaunee, Mich. Then returning home, he went into the grain business with his father and brothers at Cambria, and was in partnership with them subsequently for about ten years. In 1886 he came to Wabasha, Minn., and here became manager of the Terminal elevator for Henry J. O'Niel of Winona. After being thus engaged for three years he entered into business for himself, in 1889, in Wabasha, in association with J. G. Lawrence, under the firm name of R. E. Jones & Co, and in December of the same year the R. E. Jones Company was incorporated, with J. G. Lawrence as president and R. E. Jones as secretary, treasurer and manager, and has since been actively engaged in business along various lines, dealing in grain, seeds, wool, flour and feed and general produce. The operations of the company have expanded in the course of years until they now have a string of 20 grain elevators in eastern Minnesota and western Wisconsin. They also handle fire and life insurance, and furnish electric light and power to Wabasha city. Progressive and enterprising, Mr. Jones has gained high rank as a business man and has been a potent factor in the development of the community in which he has made his home, and of which he is now one of the leading citizens. For the last 25 years he had been a member of the Wabasha school board. In politics he is a Republican. Though reared in the Presbyterian faith, he is a member of no church, but attends and supports the Congregational church in Wabasha. He has taken an active and patriotic part in war activities, having served as chairman of the Y. M. C. A., the Red Cross Society and of the United War Work drives. Mr. Jones was married in April, 1882, to Perrie Williams, daughter of Morris and Perrie Williams, of Cambria, Wis. Of this union four children have been born: David M., Perrie, Elinor and Robert. David M., who was graduated from the Wabasha High School, the Minnesota University and the Boston School of Technology, is now living in Schenectady, N. Y., in the employ of the General Electric Company. Perrie, who was graduated from the Wabasha High School, and from Smith College, Massachusetts, is employed in the New York City library in the department of technology, but during the war with Germany has served with the Y. M. C. A. in Paris, France. Elinor, a graduate of the Wabasha High School and Smith College, is now Mrs. H. G. Cant, of Minneapolis. Robert Ap., who was graduated from the Wabasha High School and from the Minnesota University as electrical engineer, is in the employ of the General Electric Company at Schenectady, N. Y. It will thus be seen that all Mr. Jone's children have received a superior education, fitting them for the higher walks of life, and are making good use of their opportunities for usefulness. Among Mr. Jones's social activities are those connected with his membership in Waupahassa Lodge, No. 14, A. F. & A. M., of Wabasha, and White Oak Camp, No. 2077, M. W. A., also of this city.
Juers, Henry Peter (page 430), a successful and well known farmer of Mt. Pleasant Township, whose farm and residence is located in section 29, was born on this same farm, December 23, 1883, son of Peter and Catherine Juers. His parents, who came from Germany, were early settlers in this locality. He acquired his elementary education in the district school, and during the winter of 1902-3 attended the Lake City Business College. He then entered the employ of Kemp & Roschen, general merchants of Lake City, and was with them until 1912. Then returning to the home farm, he took up its operation and has since made good progress as a general farmer, working hard and having the satisfaction of seeing his bank account grow from year to year. The farm contains 240 acres, 210 acres of the land, which is very fertile, being under cultivation. It also possesses a fine set of buildings, the house being a substantial frame structure of two stories, and in addition to his operating equipment Mr. Juers owns a fine Cleveland touring car. His cattle are of the Shorthorn breed, the herd numbering from 30 to 35 head, and he milks on an average of nine cows. He has also a good herd of 25 to 30 swine. Aside from his interests in the farm, he is a stockholder in the Oak Center Creamery, the Farmers' Elevator at Lake City, the Farmers' Terminal Packing Co. of St. Paul, and the Goodhue County Co-operative stores. He is also a member of the Lake City Shipping Association. On September 4, 1906, Mr. Juers was united in marriage with Anna M., daughter of David and Anna (Thomford) Holzworth, of Brownsville, Houston County, Minn. He and his wife have one child, Elmer Peter, who was born November 28, 1907, and is now helping his father on the farm. The family is members of the Lutheran congregation at Belvidere, Goodhue County. Politically Mr. Juers is a Republican, though of broad tendencies, as he exercises his right to cast his vote for the best man, regardless of party.