Kappler, Frank A.
Keating, John R.
Kelch, Frank F.
Kemp, Francis H. (page 513), a prosperous business man of Lake City, senior member of the firm of Kemp & Roschen, general merchants of Lake City, was born in the city where he still lives, June 3, 1897, son of Michael H. and Anna (Hosch) Kemp. He passed through the graded schools of Lake City and graduated from the Lake City high school in 1894. As a boy he helped in his father's store during this spare moments and during vacation time, and upon graduation he became associated with his father as clerk, and in 1902 at the reorganization of the firm he became senior partner in the company of Kemp, Roschen & Co., which since 1914 has been Kemp & Roschen. The company does a large business, and handles dry goods, men's and women's furnishings, groceries, crockery, flour, produce and provisions. In addition to building up a successful business, Mr. Kemp has been active in civic, fraternal and social affairs. In politics he is an independent Democrat. Since 1907 he has been clerk of the Lake City Board of Educations, and in this capacity has done most efficient work. When the Knights of Columbus were organized at Wabasha he became a charter member, and later he helped to organize the Lake City Council, of which he is now the Grand Knight. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Red Men at Lake City. Mr. Kemp was married January 26, 1905, to Esther Walch, who was born in Detroit, Mich., March 25, 1880, daughter of Nicholas and Margaret Walch of that city. This union has been blessed with three children: Paul C., born March 11, 1907; William J., born February 9, 1912; and Margaret E., born January 26, 1916. The family home is a pleasant residence at 217 South Oak street. Mr. Kemp and his family are members of St. Mary's Roman Catholic church.
Kemp, Michael O.
Kenitz, Alfred F.
Kennebeck, Joseph A. (page 366), who for 17 years held a recognized place among the industrious and successful farmers of Greenfield Towhsnip, was born in Wisconsin, March 19, 1868, son of Bernard and Mary (Ramer) Kennebeck. The parents were natives of Germany who came to America in the early fifties, settling in Wisconsin. Later they came to Wabasha County, Minn., locating in Wabasha Township. There Bernard Kennebeck died, being survived by his wife, who is now living in Wabasha City. They were members of the Catholic church. Their family numbered 13 children, namely: Herman, Anthony, Theodore, Bernard, Charles, John, George, Joseph, Katherine, Caroline, Mary, Elizabeth and Anna, of whom Joseph and Anna are now deceased. Joseph A. Kennebeck's educational opportunities were confined to the district school, which he attended for the usual period. After beginning industrial life he worked for his father a number of years and then for several years did miscellaneous farm labor. In 1896 he began farming for himself, buying 200 acres in section 34, Greenfield Township, making improvements on the farm by the erection of a barn, and engaging in general farming and stock raising. In 1909 he sold that farm and bought one of 160 acres in section 28, Greenfield Township. This place also he improved, erecting a barn, garage and silo, building fences and doing repair work. He continued in agricultural work here until his death, April 2, 1913, when Greenfield Township lost one of its sterling and respected citizens. In religion Mr. Kennebeck was a Catholic. He was married April 14, 1896, to Margaret Pulles, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Michael Pulles. Her parents came from Germany to America in the early sixties, and were engaged in farming in Glasgow township, this county, until the death of Mr. Pulles on October 12, 1918. Mrs. Pulles is now residing in Wabasha. Their children were Frank, Martin, Andrew, John (first), John (second), Katherine, Margaret, Theresa and Helen. Of these the first named John died in infancy. Mr. And Mrs. Kennebeck became the parents of eight children: Louis M., born May 20, 1897; Lavina H., September 17, 1898; Cecelia K., June 4, 1899 (died July 31, 1900); Amelia M., born April 6, 1902; Martin J., October 8, 1903; Viola T., November 15, 1905; Marsella E., May 3, 1908; and Lucille M., December 2, 1910. Mrs. Kennebeck still operates the home farm, which is a nice agricultural property. She and her family are widely known, having many friends throughout this part of the county.
Kennebeck, Theodore (page 668), owner of a good farm property of 165 acres in section 3, Glasgow Township, which he is successfully operating, was born in Buffalo County, Wisconsin, June 15, 1867, son of Bernard and Anna (Oening) Kennebeck. The parents were both natives of Germany, the father born in 1825. The latter was twice married, Anna Oening being his first wife. She died when her son Theodore was a babe, and Bernard Kennebeck subsequently remarried. When Theodore was three years old he came with his father and step-mother to Wabasha County, Minnesota, the family settling in Glasgow Township, where the father bought 160 acres of wild land and began farming. There Theodore grew to manhood, having but limited educational opportunities, as he attended district school very little. After remaining with his father until reaching the age of 28 years, he started in for himself, buying his present farm, or rather, 120 acres of it, in section 3, Glasgow Township. To this he has since added 40 acres more, together with five acres of timber, making the total area of his land 165 acres. He has a good residence and other buildings, including a stave silo, and his farm is well stocked with Durham and Holstein cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs. In addition to a full equipment of teams, tools and machinery, he owns a good auto car. As he gives his chief attention to his stock he feeds most of his farm product at home. Mr. Kennebeck was married October 10, 1900, to Josephine Anna, daughter of Anton and Mary Passe of Pepin Township, this county, where she was born April 29, 1881. Of this union seven children have been born: Regina Emeline, August 1 1902; Arnold Anthony, February 29, 1904; Lawrence Joseph, May 15, 1906; Joseph John, August 26, 1908; Herman Theodore, March 7, 1910; Henry George, February 8, 1913; Jeanette Marie, January 18, 1916; and Lloyd George, July 1, 1918. Mr. Kennebeck is politically aligned with the Republican party. He has served for several years as school treasurer of District 68, and is a man who takes a helpful interest in the general good of the community. A Catholic in religion, he and his family are members of St. Felix parish at Wabasha.
Kennedy, Arthur S.
Keough, John (page 263), an early settler, and for many years a substantial resident, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, on June 27, 1840. In 1862 he came to America and in time found his way to Plainview, in this county, where for several years he was variously employed. By hard work and frugal life he saved enough to make the first payment on a farm of 120 acres in section 17, Oakwood Township, and to the management, upbuilding and development of this farm he devoted the remainder of his life. He died April 29, 1909. Mr. Keough was a devout member of the Catholic church, a considerate father and kind husband. At the time of his death the Millville Review said of him: "Few of us will live so long or so well," and the entire community felt that the words were true. Mr. Keough was married November 5, 1874, to Ellen Hollihan, born in Greenfield Township, this county, February 14, 1856, daughter of John and Mary Hollihan, the pioneers. Immediately after their marriage the young couple began the building of a house on the homestead, two miles east of Millville, which now stands as a monument to the thrift, energy, and economy of their daily lives. Their happy home was blessed with nine children: Mary, Katherine, Agnes, John, William, Theresa, Veronica (deceased), Frances, and Joseph of St. Paul. Mary died in infancy. Katherine is the wife of Henry Welti, of Plainview. Agnes lives in McIntosh, S. D. John is manager of the Botsford Lumber yard at Plainview. William married Sarah McGuigan, and lives on the home farm. Theresa is the wife of William McGuigan, of McIntosh, S. D. Frances is the wife of William Hagen, of Rhinelander, Wis. Mrs. Keough, like her husband was a devout member of the Catholic church. She was a loving wife and mother, and a friend to all, devoting her life to her religion and the building up of a home for the comfort of those she loved. Her pleasant disposition, her kindly words, and her happy greetings were her distinguishing characteristics. She died September 10, 1908, and is laid to rest in St. Patrick's Cemetery, West Albany, this county.
Keough, John E.
Keough, William J.
Kettner, John C. (Page 400), cashier of the Farmers & Merchants State Bank of Elgin, was born in Nicollet County, Minnesota, September 11, 1877, son of William and Wilhelmina (Stolt) Kettner. The parents were natives of Germany who came to America when young and single, and were married in Illinois. In 1857 they came to Minnesota and located in Nicollet County on a farm of which but little had been broken. There was work for a stout- hearted pioneer, and William Kettner proved himself the man for the occasion. The task took time, but he developed the land, erected buildings, enlarged the farm to an area of 1,090 acres, and became one of the prosperous and representative farmers of that community. There he died on June 9, 1908, but his wife, who survived him, is still residing at the old home. Of their ten children, five died in infancy, the survivors being: Christian, now of Truman, Minn.; Louis W., living on the home farm with his mother; Fred A., a resident of Truman; Mary, now Mrs. E. A. Zimmerman, of Morgan, Minn.; and John C., of Elgin. The last mentioned, the subject of this sketch, acquired his literary education in the public schools, and subsequently completed a commercial and banking course in the Gem City Business College at Quincy, Ill. Then returning to Nicollet County, and became a candidate for the office of register of deeds of Nicollet County. This was in 1900, and being elected, he served subsequently through re-election for ten years. He was then elected justice of the peace at St. Peter, which office he held for four years. During this last period he was also assistant county surveyor for two seasons, and for a year and a half deputy county treasurer. In the fall of 1914 he came to Elgin to accept the position of cashier with the farmers & Merchants State Bank, and as such he has since continued, having proved himself efficient both with the bank managements and the general public. His ability as a man of affairs has been recognized by his fellow citizens, and in 1917 he was appointed on the board of education to fill the unexpired term of Dr. W. F. Bleifuss, and at the next election of the board he was duly elected to the same position, which he has since continued to fill. In 1917 Mr. Kettner was also elected village treasurer, to which office he was re-elected in 1918, 1919 and 1920, being now its incumbent. His public service has given general satisfaction, and he has taken his natural place as one of the leaders in the community. On June 21, 1904, Mr. Kettner was married at St. Peter, Minn., to Augusta Olson, who was born September 7, 1876. He and his wife have one child, Rosalie Estelle, who was born July 5, 1906, and is now a student in the public schools. The family are members of the Lutheran church, and in politics Mr. Kettner is a Republican.
Killeen, William (page 379), now deceased, who left behind him the record of one of Wabasha County’s hardy pioneers, was born in Ireland about 1825, the third of a family of six children, the two elder being Lucy and Elizabeth, and the three younger, Mary, Joseph and Catherine. His parents died when he was a mere boy, and when he was 15 he and his sisters and brother emigrated to the United States. He had had little schooling, but was naturally shrewd and determined, knowing no such word as fail. After a residence for some time in New York State he and the other members of the family came to Wabasha County, Minn., being among the first settlers at Lake City. At that time very few farms had been started, the country was in its primitive state of wildness, wolves were abundant in the woods, and the Indians were numerous. In 1859 Mr. Killeen pre-empted 160 acres of wild land on section 16, Lake Township, four and a half miles from Lake City, and began the laborious work of developing a farm. To live all alone in such a wilderness for any great length of time, without social intercourse, and at night listening to the howling of the wolves in the surrounding timber, would have made any man turn melancholy, if not go insane, and nearly all the pioneers, when they took land to develop, took also wives for companionship, domestic felicity and mutual aid. Prompted by these reasons, and also by those of affection, Mr. Killeen, in the spring of 1861, was united in marriage at Lake City to Anne Finnerty, daughter of James and Catherine Finnerty, of that place. She was born in Ireland in 1835, and had come to this country on a sailing vessel with friends at the age of 15, the voyage occupying a number of weeks. Mr. and Mrs. Killeen worked hard together developing their farm and building up a home, and in time their labors were crowned with success. Before Mr. Killeen’s death he had accumulated four quarter sections of land. He was always ready to invest on a favorable opportunity, whether he had the money at the time or not, but his debts and pecuniary obligations were always paid at the appointed time and his credit was always good. At the time of his death, which occurred in 1872, he was numbered among the prosperous citizens of his township, and was a man highly numbered among the prosperous citizens of his township, and was a man highly respected. He was a Democrat, though not active in politics, and he and his family were faithful Catholics in religion and members of St. Mary’s parish of Lake City. In 1899 Mrs. Killeen left the farm and removed to Lake City, where she died, highly esteemed. Mr. and Mrs. Killeen had six children: Charles H., Catherine M., Lucy (book says Luvy) C., George W., William J. and Anastasia. Those now living are Charles and Lucy, both unmarried and residents of Lake City: and George W., who is on the home farm.
World War ~ Home Front
Killeen, George W. (page 380), a well known and prosperous farmer of section 16, Lake Township, was born in the township May 18, 1865, son of William and Anne (Finnerty) Killeen. His parents were pioneer settlers of the township, the father arriving here in 1859 and starting the farm on which the subject of this sketch now lives. The latter as soon as he was old enough attended country school and for nearly 30 years remained on the home farm, after his father’s death in 1872 operating the farm for the mother. In 1894 he moved to Lake City, where he was engaged in the meat business, and also in horse dealing, until 1900. During the first two years of this period he rented out the farm, and during the last four operated with hired help. On May 17, 1899, Mr. Killeen married Anna May O’Brien, daughter of Richard and Margaret O’Brien of Lake Township, he and his wife having grown up on adjoining farms, whence a mutual acquaintance had sprung up. In 1900 Mr. Killeen returned to the home farm, taking his wife with him, and since then it has been their home. It contains 160 acres and is situated four and a half miles south of Lake City. The residence is a good brick house consisting of an upright and wing, and two stories in height. The ground dimensions of the barn are 36 by 66 feet, and there is a granary, 22 by 32; a machine shed, 30 by 40; poultry shed, 18 by 30, and a corn crib with a capacity of 1,000 bushels. The farm is well stocked with a good grade of cattle and swine, and Mr. Killeen’s operating equipment including a Ford truck. Altogether, he has a well improved place and is doing a successful business as a general farmer, being a thoroughly competent man in his line of industry, with a sound practical training. He is, moreover, a good American, and was actively identified with the various war drives during the recent unpleasantness with Germany. In politics he is a Democrat and has served as clerk of his school district. To Mr. and Mrs. Killeen four children have been born: Mary Irene, August 8, 1901; George Kenneth, February 15, 1903; Francis William, May 23, 1904; and Florence Mildred, August 18, 1905. Mary Irene is a student in St. Theresa College, Winona; Kenneth and Florence Mildred in the Lake City high school, and Francis William in St. Mary’s Catholic College for boys at Winona. Mrs. Killeen, who was born in Lake Township, April 19, 1876, has proved a good helpmate to her husband and together they are bringing up a family of sons and daughters who show bright promise of future usefulness.
Kimber, Albert L. (page 448), proprietor of the Elgin Hotel in Elgin Village, was born in Rock County, Wis., near Janesville, December 30, 1847, son of William and Rosanna (Brundage) Kimber. William Kimber, the father, was a native of Orange County, New York, born November 20, 1815. In 1845 he moved to Wisconsin, and from that state, in 1854, to Amherst Township, Fillmore county, Minn. There he resided until 1891, when he moved to Burr Oak, Iowa, where his death occurred in 1904. His wife, Rosanna Brundage Kimber, was born October 3, 1820, and died at Burr Oak, Iowa, in 1891. They were the parents of the following named children: Emmit, Harriet, Sarah, Albert L., Isaac L., James, Amos, Ira, Henry and Mary. James, Amos, Emmit, Sarah and Mary are deceased. Albert L. Kimber was educated in a district school in Fillmore County, Minn. On April 4, 1865, he enlisted at Rochester, Minn., in Company H, First Minnesota Battery, and went out to fight for the preservation of the Union. The war, however, was then drawing to a close, so his service was limited. Moreover, he was taken sick and was discharged from the hospital August 3, 1865. In his 26th year he married and for many years thereafter followed the trade of a mechanic. Subsequently he was engaged in farming in Viola Township, Olmsted County, and after that resided for some years in Minneapolis to give his children the benefit of better educational advantages. In 1916 Mr. Kimber came to Elgin and became proprietor of the Elgin Hotel, which he is now engaged in operating. He keeps a neat and well ordered place and has become well and favorably known to the traveling public. In addition to the hotel he and his wife are conducting a grocery and crockery store adjoining. The marriage of Albert L. Kimber occurred October 30, 1873, uniting him with Cordelia Pratt, who was born near Topsham, Vt., October 30, 1854. Daughter of John F. and Elizabeth Ann (Richardson) Pratt. Her parents were both natives of Vermont, the father born February 2, 1820, and the mother July 18, 1830. They were married May 20, 1852, and settled in Wisconsin, from which state they came by wagon in 1862 to Viola Township, Olmsted County, Minn., buying the O. Ferguson farm, where Mr. Pratt was engaged in dairy farming. They had five children: Cora A., born February 6, 1853, who married Niles Blodgett, and died March 1, 1870; Cordelia E., born October 30, 1854, now Mrs. Albert L. Kimber; Clara O., born February 21, 1858, who died December 2, 1863; Sarah R., born March 30, 1862, who died September 3, 1878; and Guilford J., born September 28, 1866, now residing in Elgin Village. Mr. and Mrs. Kimber are affiliated with the Universalist church, and are among the well known and respected residents of Elgin. Mrs. Kimber is also a member of the Eastern Star Chapter. They have had three children: Alberta Rose, born February 10, 1877, who died March 21, the same year; Jennie Louise, born August 23, 1879, now Mrs. George R. Turner of Minneapolis; and Avis Lulu, born June 17, 1885, now Mrs. Paul Wing, of Elgin Village.
Kinitz, Walter E.
Kinsella, Dennis (page 472), one of the early settlers in Oakwood Township, now retired and living in Plainview village, was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, August 10, 1848, son of Daniel and Catherine Delany Kinsella. In 1855, at the age of about seven years, he accompanied his parents to the United States, the family landing at New Orleans, where they remained for one year. They then came up the river to Alton, Illinois, which place they made their home until 1862, when they came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, settling on land in Oakwood Township. Dennis Kinsella was then about 14 years old, and he soon began to make himself useful on the farm, working for his father until he reached the age of twenty-two. He then farmed a 40-acre tract in Highland Township, and after selling it, he bought a farm of 160 acres in Oakwood Township, on which he made extensive and valuable improvements, erecting a new set of buildings, including a house, barn and outbuildings, also fencing the entire farm, There he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1911, except for a period of 10 years, during which he worked at the carpenter's trade in St. Paul. As a general farmer and stock raiser he was successful and became widely known. He served as supervisor on the Highland town board, and was clerk of the school board in Oakwood Township for a number of years, and belongs to the Old Settlers' Association of Greenwood Prairie. He took up his residence in Plainview in 1911, and where he and his wife now live with their adopted daughter, Mrs. George Neinow. In 1918 he sold his farm. Mr. Kinsella was married July 24, 1870, to Catherine Feehan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Feehan. They were natives of Tipperary, Ireland, and came to the United States in 1867, settling in Oakwood Township, Wabasha county, on a farm which they homesteaded, and here spent the rest of their lives, she passing away August 18, 1888, and he on January 11, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Kinsella, and their adopted daughter, Mrs. Neinow, are members of the Catholic church.
Klassen, Albert J.
Klatt, Michael L.
Klavetter, Robert C. (page 488), a thriving farmer of Plainview Township, was born in Dodge County, wis., September 24, 1876, son of Paul and Amelia (Grepegen) Klavetter. The parents were born in Germany, but married in Wisconsin. Coming to Minnesota in the fall of 1876 they settled in Winona County, where they remained about two years. In 1877 they bought 80 acres of school land in Plainview Township, Wabasha County, the tract being covered with heavy timber, and began improvements by the erection of a log shanty. The father grubbed and broke the land and in time erected other buildings, the family residing there 15 years. He then bought 40 acres in section 36, Plainview, and 26 acres in section 31, Whitewater Township, Winona County, later adding 80 more acres adjoining, which made a farm of 226 acres. This he operated until 1905, when he sold it to his son, Robert. In 1909 he retired from active work and moved to Plainview village, where he died in 1912. His wife is still living in Plainview. Their children were: Mattie, now Mrs. Henry Warner of Elgin; Rudolph, who resides in Kansas City, Mo.; Robert C., owner of the old homestead; Minnie, wife of C. W. Herman of Plainview Township; and Ida, who is the widow of John B. Lyons. Robert C. Klavetter was about a year old when his parents moved to Wabasha County. Later he attended the Woodland school and when old enough began to make himself useful on his parents' farm, of which in time he became the manager. In 1905 he bought the entire farm of 226 acres and has since operated it, raising grain, stock and other farm products. He keeps grade Shorthorn cattle and Poland-China swine and is doing a very successful farming business. On his property he has made a number of valuable improvements. In 1918 he erected a barn, 36 by 64 feet, with full basement and a modern equipment. He remodeled the house, adding a porch and some small outbuildings; erected a double corn crib with a driveway 20 by 26 feet, and built a reservoir 10 by 15 feet, which supplies water to the house and barn. On May 22, 1920, a cyclone came up from the southwest and passed over Mr. Klavetter's farm, completely destroying his barn, corn crib, hog house and chicken house, and taking his granary, 16 by 32 feet, completely off its foundation, and after carrying it two rods set it down in good condition without destroying the grain it contained. It also damaged the house, tore up trees and caused other devastation, his windmill and fences being destroyed. His four children were in the corn crib at the time, but received no injuries beyond a few scratches. Mr. Klavetter was entering the barn when the cyclone struck the farm and was struck on the head by one of the large doors and knocked senseless. On September 11, 1907, Mr. Klavetter was united in marriage with Marie Funke, who was born in Oakwood Township, Wabasha county, April 22, 1886, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Charles Funke. The children born of this union are: Ethel A., born December 14, 1908; Hazel F., December 15, 1912; Meade R., February 1, 1914; Eunice C., November 5, 1915, and Morris P., August 8, 1917. They have a wide circle of friends and stand high in the community as people of well ordered lives and good neighborly qualities.
Klein, Bartholomew (page 694), a pioneer of Wabasha County, and one of the first settlers in Highland Township, was born in Luxemburg and came to this country in 1856, first locating in Dubuque, Iowa. From there he came to Wabasha county, making the trip with an ox team. After entering this county, he crossed Greenwood Prairie to Glasgow Township, and then came on to Highland Township, where he took a claim in section 14, where his son John N. now lives. Here he built a small log shanty, cutting the logs himself. Subsequently, when his farm had been properly surveyed, he found that one corner of his house was right on the dividing line. The land was wild and covered with timber, and he set to work to clear and develop the farm with the help of an ox team. He married Kathering Shouweiler, who had come to this country in 1854, the Shouweiler family being among the first settlers here. Mr. Klein worked hard on his farm, but was not long permitted to enjoy the fruits of his labor, as he died in 1863. His widow then rented the farm out for a time, and was subsequently married to Mathias Markous, by whom she had a daughter, Anna, who married Mike Ellenz and lives in St. Paul. By her first husband, Bartholomew Klein, she had four children: Maggie, who married Joe Emerick and died in 1919, leaving three sons; Katherine, wife of Garrett Graff of Lake County, S. D.; John N., of Highland Township; and Susan, wife of Joseph Graff of Kellogg, Minn. Mrs. Bartholomew Klein died in 1883.
Klein, John N. page 694), a prominent representative of the agricultural and stock raising interests of Highland Township, was born on his parents' farm in section 14, in this township, June 12, 1861, son of Bartholomew and Katherine (Shouweiler) Klein. He was reared on the home farm and educated in district school No. 37. He was obliged to begin work at an early age and became thoroughly initiated into all kinds of farm work. After the death of his mother in 1883 he and his three sisters operated the farm together for three years, and at the end of that time he purchased his sisters' interest and has been the sole owner. In 1909 he built a modern eight-room house, with an addition for a wash-room, and equipped with modern conveniences, including a bath, hot water heat, hot and cold running water and electric lights. He also erected a barn 40 by 62 feet, and now has the farm and buildings in excellent condition. He carries on general farming and is the only farmer in Highland Township raising Jersey cattle. So well has he succeeded that in two years he took the first prize at the county fair for improvement in this kind of stock. He is also a successful breeder of Chester White hogs and Percheron horses. In addition to this, he does considerable dairying. To his original 160 acres he has since added 40 lying across the road from his farm, has bought 240 acres in Glasgow Township, ten acres of woodland, and owns 160 acres in northern Minnesota, near the International Falls, in Koochiching County. Mr. Klein is a stockholder in the local telephone company and the Smithfield creamery. He has been a member of the town board for many years and assessor for five years, besides having served on the school board twelve years, from which it may be seen that he is not only active and successful in business, but is also a useful citizen willing to devote a part of his time to the public service. Fraternally he belongs to several orders, including the Woodmen, Samaritans and the Knights of Columbus. Mr. Klein was married in 1885 at Minneapolis to Elizabeth Bricher, daughter of John and Mary Bricher, her parents, natives respectively of Luxemburg and Bohemia, being early settlers in Wabasha County, where they followed farming. Mr. and Mrs. Klein have had eleven children, of whom eight are now living, namely: Frank, Joseph, Ernest, Ralph, Clarence, Adolph, Hazel and Lavina. Frank is assistant cashier in the Theilman Bank, and Clarence is a barber in Kellogg. Ralph enlisted for military service in the war with Germany. He was a member of the 28th Division of Infantry and was eight months in France, taking part in the actions in the Argonne sector and at St. Mihiel Hill. Frank also enlisted and was sent to Leavenworth and Camp Dodge, Iowa, where he served in the clerical department. The children who died were: Maggie, who was five years old; Mary, who died at the age of three, and Dorothy, who married Ed McGrath and died of influenza October 29, 1918. The family are members of the Catholic church.
Klennert, Ernest (page 666), proprietor of a good farm in section 26, Gillford Township, was born in Branda, Germany, April 19, 1857, son of Frank and Elizabeth Klennert. The parents spent their lives in their native land, never coming to this country. Ernest, who was one of a family of four children, had a common school education in Germany, where he grew to manhood. There he found himself unable to make any financial progress, and in 1884 came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, arriving here with little money. For three years he did hard farm work, grubbing many acres of land. By 1887 he had begun to make some progress and resolved to make a start for himself. He began independent farming in Oakwood Township, remained there a year, and then rented a farm for a year in West Albany. After that he farmed for seven years in Gilllford Township as a renter. In the fall of 1896 he bought 160 acres in section 26, Gillford Township, to which he subsequently added 80 acres, making the farm of 240 acres which he now occupies. On this farm he built a good frame house, a barn, and other necessary buildings, and was doing a good business as a general farmer, raising grade cattle, hogs and sheep. Up to the fall of 1916 he was strong and active, but at that time was seized with paralysis, from which he has not yet recovered. After the attack he removed to Lake City, where he lived until the fall of 1919, when he returned to his farm, which is now operated by Bert Leonard. Mr. Klennert married Sofe Ruther, daughter of Frank and Johanna Ruther of West Albany Township. He and his wife have had ten children: Frank Carl, born September 12, 1886; Mary Elizabeth, June 9, 1888; Ernest, Jr., December 19, 1889; Margaret, March 31, 1892; Anton, September 6, 1894; Helen, January 22, 1896; Martha, July 27, 1899; Catherine, August 28, 1903; Sophia, November 18, 1906; and Albert, June 5, 1909. Frank Carl is a farmer in Gillford Township; Mary Elizabeth is now Mrs. Herman Dahling of Goodhue County; Ernest is married and living at Millville; Margaret is the wife of William Laqua of Gillford Township; Anton, also married, is a farmer in South Troy, Gillford Township, Wabasha County; Martha is the wife of Rudy Johnson, a farmer at Augusta, Wis., and the other children are residing on the home farm. Mr. Kennert and his family are members of the Catholic church; politically he is a Democrat.
Klindworth, Alfred (page 709), a member of the firm of Klindworth Bros., hardware dealers and garage proprietors, of Zumbro Falls, was born in Chester Township, this county, August 26, 1893, son of Claus and Katherine Klindworth. The first 22 years of his life was spent on his parent's farm, and his education was acquired in the district school. At the age of 22 he came to Zumbro Falls and entered the employ of Gray and Klindworth, the latter member of the concern being his brother John. After three years he bought Mr. Gray's interest and became his brother's partner, the name of the firm at the same time being changed to Klindworth Bros. They do a profitable business in hardware, also selling auto cars and tractors, and running a repair shop in connection with their garage. Alfred Klindworth was married in 1915, in Gillford, Wabasha County, to Evas M. Gerken, daughter of John and Katherine Heitman Gerken. Her parents were farmers, the father being a native of Massachusetts and the mother of Germany. They had six sons and three daughters: Richard, Alfred, John, Henry, Frederick, Clarence, Evas, Lorena and Anna. The two latter are now residing in Lake City with the parents. Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Klindworth have two children, Roderick and Lois.
Klindworth, Claus (page 722), who for 43 years was a respected citizen of Chester Township, where during his active period he was engaged in agriculture, was born in Hanover, Germany, where he resided until 11 years old. He then in 1872 came with his parents to America, the family locating on a farm in Hay Creek Township, Goodhue County, Minn. After a residence there of one year, they moved to Chester Township, Wabasha County, taking a farm which they cultivated and developed into a valuable property, and where Mr. Klindworth died December 4, 1919, at the age of about 55 years. He had been an active and industrious citizen, a good neighbor, and the worthy head of a worthy family. His wife, who survived him, is residing in Zumbro Falls. Their family numbered eight children, evenly divided between sons and daughters, namely: John A., Anna, Alfred D., Clarence, Johanna, Lorena, Esther and Raymond. John A. is now engaged in the hardware business at Zumbro Falls, with his brother Alfred. Anna is the wife of Jacob B. Schwartz of Zumbro Falls. Clarence resides at Dumont, Minn. Johanna is the wife of Richard Gerken, and lives on the Gerken farm at Hyde Park. Lorena, residing on the home farm in Chester Township, is the wife of Forrest Atkinson. Esther and Raymond reside with their mother. Claus Klindworth, the father, was a man who took an active interest in all matters affecting the good of the community in which he lived, serving as road commissioner and as school clerk for a number of years. He left his farm of 120 acres in good condition and it is today a valuable piece of agricultural property.
Klindworth, Dick (page 703), one of the self-made farmers of Gillford Township, who started poor and is now well off, was born in Hanover, Germany, October 3, 1869, son of Herman and Anna Klindworth. The parents never came to America, the mother dying when the subject of this sketch was a child. He attended common school in Germany and at the age of 16 came to Minnesota, locating in Goodhue County, where he had a sister already living. There he attended school for six months, and for four years worked as a farm hand. He also learned the carpenter's trade with John Oelkers and worked at it until 1898. In that year, which was the year of his marriage, he bought a farm of 80 acres in section 4, Gillford Township, Wabasha County. The place was but slightly improved, there being only a small shack for a residence and no barns. Through his own exertions he now owns 168 acres, all under the plow, and he has a good set of buildings, including two good barns, a tool shed, granary, corn cribs, garage and silo, the garage having been erected to shelter his Ford car. His farm is now in good shape and he has a complete equipment, including al necessary machinery. As a general farmer he is making good progress, being successful in crop raising and in the breeding of grade Shorthorn cattle and Poland-China swine. His farm is situated nine miles southwest of Lake City, which is his usual market. In politics he is independent. Mr. Klindworth was married September 4, 1898, to Katherine Marion, daughter of Diedrich and Margaret Dankers. She was born in Germany April 29, 1876, and came to the United States with her parents at the age of three years, the family settling in Mr. Pleasant Township. Mr. and Mrs. Klindworth have had five children, all residing at home, namely: Alfred Henry, born June 8, 1902; Edna Margaret, born February 19, 1905; Esther Johanna, born January 12, 1907, who died March 30, the same year; Frederick Herman, born May 5, 1910, and Wilbert Otto, born June 1, 1916. The family are members of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran church (known as the Lincoln Congregation), of which Mr. Klindworth has been a trustee and the treasurer for the last seven years.
Klindworth, John A. (page 723), a member of the prosperous hardware and farm implement firm of Klindworth Bros., of Zumbro Falls, was born in Chester Township, Wabasha County, in 1891, son of Claus and Katherine Klindworth. In his boyhood he attended the district school and engaged in farm work, assisting his father until 1909, in which year he came to Zumbro Falls and engaged in the hardware and implement business with H. R. Gray. In September, 1919, his brother Alfred bought Mr. Gray's interest in the business, which is now carried on by the firm of Klindworth Bros. In addition to hardware the firm handles auto cars and tractors, and operates a garage where they repair all kinds of cars. They have a good patronage and the business is growing, with satisfactory financial results. John Klindworth served on the village council in 1917, and in 1919 was elected mayor, which office he still holds. He was married in 1911 to Anna Gerken, daughter of Cord and Anna (Duden) Gerken, the parents being natives of Hanover, Germany, who on coming to Wabasha county, Minn., engaged in farming and became prosperous. Cord Gerken died in June, 1919, but his wife is still living. They were the parents of four daughters and one son: Ella, wife of Henry Heitman, of Gillford; Katie, wife of Fred Heitman, also of Gillford; Mary, wife of Albert Manthie, of Chester; Henry, who died in 1919; and Anna, wife of John Klindworth. Mr. and Mrs. Klindworth have two children, Elmer and Bernice, both attending school. Mr. Klindworth is a prominent member of the community in which he has cast his lot, and that he is popular and recognized as a capable man of affairs is proved by his election to the highest local office within the gift of his fellow citizens.
Knabe, John A.
Knowlton, Asa O.
Knowlton, Holsey A.
Koelmel, Charles T.
Koenig, William (page 281, photo available), now living retired in Plainview after a long and successful business career in which he won for himself a wide reputation as a man of ability, was born in the Province of Hessian Cassel, Germany, September 29, 1844, son of Balthazer and Margaret (Withrow) Koenig. After attending school in his native land, he learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed until coming to the United States in the spring of 1863. Locating first in New York City, he followed his trade there until the fall, and then went to Hazelton, Penn., where he was engaged in the same occupation up tot he spring of 1865. After that he spent some time in travel in New York State and Ohio, working at his trade in various places until he again reached New York City, and passed from there over into Brooklyn, where he was married, in June, 1867, to Margaret Young, a native of Bavaria, near the Rhine. With his bride he now started for the Northwest, taking the train to La Crosse, Wis., then a steamer up the Mississippi to Minneiska, Minn., and overland by team to Plainview, Wabasha County. Here he bought a shop, 14 by 20 feet in size, and engaged in boot and shoe manufacture. Later he added a retail line of shoes, buffalo overcoats and gloves, establishing a business that he conducted uninterruptedly for eight years, or until 1875. He then tried his fortunes in Winona in the same line of business, but after eleven months in that city returned to Plainview, and in June, 1876, engaged in general mercantile business here, buying the stock of A. G. Felton. The building he had already purchased from Mr. Felton in 1876. In this business Mr. Koening continued for 16 years, building up a large trade, and he also extended his operations to other directions, engaging largely in the purchase and sale of land, of which he owned at one time close to 10,000 acres; and in 1883 buying the elevator at Plainview, which he conducted until 1892, when it was destroyed by fire, causing Mr. Koenig a loss of $13,000, as there was no insurance. He had also up to that time, and since 1888, been engaged in diversified farming, having a farm of 335 acres within the city limits. The fire had the result of reducing his personal activities, as he gave up the farm, and turned over the store to his sons, William, Arthur and Albert, still, however, continuing his real estate operations until 1910, since which time he has been retired. In 1898 he built his present nice residence in the village. By his first wife, Margaret Young Koenig, he had seven children, of whom five are now living: William, now a merchant at Sioux Falls, S. D.; Arthur, a resident of Chicago; Alfred, engaged in the real estate business at Sioux Falls; Elizabeth, now Mrs. Fred Booth, residing in California; Emma, now Mrs. Let Marshall, of Dell Rapids, S. D. The two deceased are an infant and a son named Henry. The mother of these children died in February, 1892; and on September 22, 1892, Mr. Koenig was married to Katherine Pletch, a native of Luxemburg. Two children are the issue of this marriage: George, who saw service in the World War, and is now engaged in farming; and Edward, who is attending school. In 1894 Mr. Koenig took a trip to Europe, and while there erected a fine tombstone to the memory of his departed father and mother. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church, and he is a man of high standing as a citizen.
Koepsell, Harry J.
Kottschade, William H.
Krause, Henry J. (p. 743), now living retired in Mazeppa, after a successful agricultural career, was born in Lowell, Dodge County, Wis., May 10, 1870. His parents, John G. and Augusta (Arndt) Krause, were born in Prussia, Germany, and came to the United States, when single, in 1866, John G. Krause locating at Watertown, Jefferson County, where he worked on a farm until his marriage. He and his wife then settled near Lowell, where he bought a farm. This he subsequently traded for a farm near Pine Island, Goodhue County, Minn., to which locality the family removed in 1875. There he followed farming for the rest of his life, passing away April 1, 1918. His wife died March 15, 1909. They had five children, all of whom are now living, namely: Henry, of Mazeppa; Emil, who lives on a farm in Pine Island Township, Goodhue County; Lydia, wife of Frank Schleip, of New York; Louise, wife of Ed Adler of Pine City, Minn., and Ida, wife of George King, of Pine Island Township, and on his parents' farm acquired a good practical knowledge of agriculture. In August, 1892, he bought a farm in the township and for 25 years subsequently was there engaged in carrying on general farming and stockraising, with profitable results. On September 23, 1917, he moved to Mazeppa, where he has since resided, enjoying a well earned leisure, his farm being rented to a tenant. While living in Pine Island Township, Goodhue County, he served three years as a member of the board of supervisors, and for one year as chairman of the board. Mr. Krause was married in Pine Island Township, Goodhue County, March 15, 1892, to Anna M. Lueck, daughter of William and Anna (Brunkhurst) Lueck. Her parents, natives of Germany, came to this country about 1868, residing in New York State three years, and then coming to Minnesota. After arriving in this state, they first located at Lake City, from which place they removed to a farm in Hay Creek, Goodhue County, and from there to a farm in Pine Island Township in the same county. There Mrs. Anna Lueck died in 1882. Her husband surviving her 30 years, passing away on August 10, 1912. They had four children, all except Anna M. now living in Pine Island Township, namely: William, Minnie, and Frederick. Minnie is the wife of Edward Klingsporn. Mr. And Mrs. Henry J. Krause are the parents of one child, Minnie A., born June 30, 1893, who is now the wife of Fred Tewes, and lives on the home farm in pine Island Township, Goodhue County.
Krinke, Albert (page 752), who is operating a farm of 240 acres in section 32, Chester Township, was born in this township March 27, 1897, son of Paul and Pauline (Missall) Krinke. The father, a native of Wisconsin, of German ancestry, came to Wabasha County, Minn., with his parents in 1862 when a child of about six years, the family settling near Blue Earth, in Faribault County. In 1878, on the death of Paul's mother, Paul went with his father to North Dakota, where they resided until the latter's death in 1878. There Paul Krinke pre-empted 160 acres of land, later buying 160 acres more, and was engaged in farming for nine years, at the end of which time he sold his property. In 1892 he came to Chester Township, Wabasha County, and bought a farm of 240 acres in section 32, which he improved and cultivated until 1910. He then moved to Lake City, where he resided for five years, after which he returned to the farm, but finally retired from active work in 1919. He and his wife have had eight children: George, Edwin, Albert, Alfred, Alice, Frank and Lewis, of whom the two last mentioned and an infant unnamed, are now deceased. Albert Krinke was educated in the Mazeppa village school and in the Lake City High School, being graduated from the latter institution in 1918. Since his father gave up the active management of the farm Albert has been engaged in its operation, and is carrying on general farming and stock raising. He is breeding Holstein cattle, having full blooded sires for his herd, and is making good progress in all branches of his business. He was married June 3, 1920, to Daisy Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Johnson of Chester Township.
Krinke, Paul (page 752), a well known and respected citizen of Chester Township, now living retired after an active and successful career in agricultural pursuits, was born in Wisconsin October 23, 1856, son of Paul, Sr., and Christina (Rockow) Krinke. The parents came to Wisconsin from Germany in 1850 and resided there twelve years as farmers. In 1862 they removed to Minnesota, settling near Blue Earth, where Mrs. Christina Krinke died in 1878. After that event the father went with his son, Paul Jr., to North Dakota, where he himself died in 1893. He was a member of the German Lutheran church. He and his wife had eight children: Michael, August, Paul, Herman, Albertina, Augusta, Pauline and Mary, of whom six are now living, those deceased being Michael and Herman. Paul Krinke, Jr., acquired a district school education and subsequently worked for his father until 1883. He then went to North Dakota, where he pre-empted 160 acres of land. He later bought 160 acres more, bringing up the size of his farm to 320 acres, which he operated for nine years and then sold. In 1892 he came to Chester Township, Wabasha County, Minn., and bought 240 acres in section 32. Here he erected a good set of farm buildings, and was engaged in general farming and stock raising until 1910. In that year he rented the farm and moved to Lake City, where he resided for five years. At the end of that time he returned to the farm, on which he worked until 1919, when he retired, turning its management over to his son, Albert. Associated with Andrew Leffring, he bought the Baker farm, containing 360 acres, to which he removed in the fall of 1920. Mr. Krinke was married May 25, 1881, to Pauline Missall, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ludwig Missall of Blue Earth, Minn. Both her parents are now deceased, the father having died in 1900 and the mother in 1910. Mr. and Mrs. Krinke have been the parents of eight children: George, Edwin, Albert, Alfred, Alice, Frank, Lewis and an infant who died unnamed. Frank and Lewis are also deceased. George is now living at Nashwauk, Minn. Edwin is farming in Pierce County, Wis. Albert is farming in Chester Township. Alfred married Clara Baker, daughter of Thomas and Cora Baker of Chester Township, and is now engaged in farming.
Krismer, Wendelin (page 701), a well known and highly respected citizen of Gillford Township, was born in the Austrian Tyrol, November 25, 1857, son of Anton and Johanna Krismer. The father was a carpenter by trade, and in 1867, when the subject of this sketch was ten years old, he, with his family, emigrated to America, settling on a farm in La Crosse County, Wisconsin, where they remain 14 years. They then sold the place and moved into La Crosse, where Anton Krismer followed his trade. Wendelin Krismer obtained most of the schooling he ever got in his native land. He followed the fortunes and shared experiences of his family until they moved to the city of La Crosse, and then he came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, locating in the vicinity of Theilman. Having learned the carpenter's trade under his father, for tow years he worked at it in this county, alternating it with work as a farm hand. In 1884 he went to Minneapolis, where he worked his trade. While there he was married, September 11, 1883, to Veronica, daughter of Peter and Hilda Noll of Highland Township, Wabasha County, where she was born December 17, 1859. Mr. Krismer and his wife remained in Minneapolis until 1900, when they came to Wabasha County and took up residence next to Theilman, Mr. Krismer working at his trade until the fall, when they moved to the farm which they have since made their home, which he purchased in the spring of that year. This farm at the time contained 160 acres, and is located in sections 25 and 26, Gillford Township. Mr. Krismer now owns 80 acres adjoining, and has 160 acres of his land under tillage, the rest being pasture. There is a good set of buildings, including a frame house, a barn 36 by 80 by 14 feet, with a full stone basement for stock, and equipped with steel stanchions and mangers. The farm is well stocked with high grade Shorthorn cattle, as well as with a good grade of hogs and sheep, and general farming and dairying are carried on, Mr. Krismer milking from 18 to 20 cows, for which he has installed a modern double-unit milking machine. Mr. Krismer still works at his trade to a considerable extent, leaving the management of his farm to his three sons, Louis, William and Christian. He is a clerk of the school board of his district, and is independent in politics. Mr. and Mrs. Krismer have had eight children: Henry J., born December 31, 1885; John P., August 21, 1886; Wendelin, Jr., September 21, 1887; Joseph A., April 15, 1890; Louis J.; William F., October 4, 1897; Christian P., September 6, 1899, and Mary P., October 3, 1901. Henry J., who is a carpenter in Lake City, married Cora Lochler and they have five children: Marcella, Helen, Agnes, Jacob, and John. John P. the second child, died in infancy. Wendelin Jr., is now a farmer in Gillford Township. He married Margaret Mason and has four children, Veronica, Cornelia, Florence and Robert. Joseph A. married Johanna Laqua and has three children, Adeline, Lauretta and Anastatia. The family live on a farm in Gillford Township. William F., Christian P. and Mary P. are as yet unmarried and are residing on the home farm. Louis J. served in the World War, being inducted into the U.S. Military service May 28, 1918. He was sent first to Camp Lewis, Wash., thence to Camp Kearney, Calif., and after six weeks at the latter camp, to Camp Mills, L.I., where he received his overseas equipment. On August 7, 1918, he sailed for France, landed in England after 15 days and was sent to Le Havre, France, becoming a member of the "Sunshine Division", 145th Machine Gun Battery. After a little while he was transferred to the 116th Engineer Corps and served at Angers, France, until the armistice was signed. Then being transferred to the 20th Engineers, Forestry Corps, he served with that organization until May 3, 1919. On the seventeenth of May he sailed from Bordeaux to Hoboken, N.J., after landing went to Camp Merritt, N. J., and thence to Camp Dodge, Iowa, where he was mustered out June 9, 1919, reaching home June 11. The Krismer family are members of the Catholic church, belonging to St. Patrick's parish in West Albany Township. Peter and Hilda Noll, the parents of Mrs. Krismer, were both natives of Germany, the father born in 1824 and the mother in 1830. They came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, at a very early day, and were very poor at the time, but Mr. Noll finally, through hard work and perseverance, became the wealthiest farmer in Highland Township. Mrs. Hilda Noll died in 1871, being survived by her husband for 30 years, as his death occurred in 1901. Of their children there are living: Theresa, now Mrs. John Gessmer of Plainview; Mary, wife of Joseph Eiler of Bird Island, Minn.; Margaret, wife of Frank Deming of Plainview; Joseph of Big Stone, S.D., and Veronica. Those deceased are Henry, Peter, Anna, Adeline and Regina.
Kuehn, Lucas (page 380), founder of the Kuehn Mercantile company, one of the largest and most important business enterprises in Wabasha, which he is still operating, is a favorable type of the "self-made" man, having risen from comparative poverty to a high position in the business world through his own exertions and the exercise of sound judgment. He was born in Baden, Germany, October 18, 1834, son of Michael and Cordelia (Bauman) Kuehn, his father being a linen weaver by occupation. In 1852 the family emigrated to the United States, settling first in Ohio, where they resided for three years. Lucas, who was 18 years old when he arrived in this country, found employment at ore mining, and showed such ability and close attention to his duties that in a year and a half, though still very young, he was made foreman, his father and brothers working under him. In 1855 the family made another removal, setting out with the intention of going to St. Paul by way of Dubuque, to which latter place they journeyed overland, and there took passage for their ultimate destination on an up-river steamer. While on the boat, however, the father heard that it would be impossible to procure a house in S. Paul, so he, with his wife and children, left the boat at Read's Landing, just above Wabasha. That night, the night of May 12, 1855, they spent on a woodpile, being unable to find shelter. Early the next morning Lucas found employment, being engaged to run log rafts down the Mississippi to Dubuque and other points, and saying goodbye to the other members of the family, left for down the river. At that employment he spent one season, and for the next two worked on board a river boat under Capt. James. In September, 1858, being as yet unmarried, he settled in Wabasha, and built a cheap house on a site near the location of the present Wabasha Hospital. In this house he took up his residence with a sister, and for a few years subsequently followed various occupations. In 1862 he laid the foundation stone of his present prosperity by building an oven and starting a bakery, selling his wares from a rented room opposite his bakeshop. His capital, when he began this enterprise, consisted of a five-dollar gold piece, with which he purchased his first supply of flour, his pans and dishes being obtained on credit. Two years later, in 1864, he disposed of his bakery and entered into the dry goods and grocery business, in which he made good progress, so that in 1868 he was able to erect a substantial two-story brick and stone building on the corner of Main and Alleghany streets, having a front of 20 feet on the former and 80 feet on the latter thoroughfare. In that store, as it then stood, he did business until 1874, when he enlarged it by building an addition of 40 feet on the east, which addition with the original building constitutes his present place of business, the largest store in Wabasha. The upper story of the block has long been occupied by attorneys and physicians and the editorial and composing rooms of the Wabasha Herald. As early as 1883 Mr. Kuehn employed eight clerks, while since then the growth of his business has been impressive, if not phenomenal; and, though now in his eighty- fifth year, he guides it with a firm and sure hand, ably assisted by his son-in-law, Henry Schwedes. At the early period above mentioned, Mr. Kuehn, besides conducting his store, furnished from a tract of 640 acres of timber land that he owned across the river in Buffalo County, Wisconsin, thousands of ties, with timber and wood, to the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, operating portable mills on the land, and teaming the product to the railroad site in West Wabasha. A number of years ago Mr. Kuehn was made president of the First National Bank, but the pressing demands of his other business interests caused him to resign that position at the end of two years. In the early eighties, seeing the need of a good hotel for the city, he built the Commercial Hotel on the corner of Main and Bailley streets, a house of 40 rooms, which is still standing and in good condition, and which is now held by other parties on a lease. It was by means of such quick observation and foresight, and readiness to take advantage of a good opportunity, that he steadily advanced his fortunes, at the same time rendering a service to his fellow citizens and helping to promote the general prosperity. Through all his successes, however, he has remained modest and unostentatious, being satisfied to do things without the blare of trumpets, except when publicity was necessary to accomplish the desired results. In such cases the publicity has been given to the enterprise to be advances, his own personality being kept as much as possible in the background. In politics he has never been a strong party man, preferring to support the best candidate regardless of party affiliations. Religiously he was reared a Catholic, but long since ceased church attendance. He has, however, been liberal in the support of all churches and the worthy causes set on foot by them. He is a charter member of Teutonic Lodge, No. 19, I.O.O.F., of Wabasha. Also a member of the Rebeccas. Mr. Kuehn was married Nov. 30, 1858, to Clara Guenthner, who was born in Baden, Germany, December 8, 1840, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Theo. Guenthner, and whom he saw in Baden when she was eight years of age. She had come to this country in 1855 with one sister, the parents being already here. After a married life of over 58 years, the happiness of which was tempered only by the loss of several of her children, she died in Wabasha, September 8, 1917. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kuehn were as follows: Louise, born in 1859, who died in childhood; Mary Magdaline, born November 23, 1861, who became the wife of Henry Schwedes, and died in Wabasha May 12, 1918; Julia, born July 13, 1863, now deceased; Louise (second), born July 11, 1866, now Mrs. J. Achenbach, of Wabasha; Emil, born November 27, 1868, who is practicing dentistry in Wabasha; Clara, born August 16, 1871, who is the wife of William Burg, a banker of Portland, Ore.; and Frank, born April 17, 1873, who is a practicing dentist in Minneapolis, Minn.
Kuehn, Lucas M. (page 338), general merchant, corner Main and Alleghaney streets. Mr. Kuehn has been a resident of the county since 1855, a resident of the city since 1858, and one of it business men since 1862, at which date he established a bakery, and two years later, abandoning that branch of business, engaged in drygoods trade, which he has now successfully conducted for twenty years. His block, two store-rooms of which are occupied with stock, fronts sixty feet on Main street and eighty feet on Allegheney. It is a solid brick and stone structure, two stories and basement, the upper story occupied for offices, storage, and the composing and editorial rooms of the Wabasha "Herald." He has also a branch store about sixteen miles from the city in Glasgow township. The corner building of the block was erected in 1868, the forty feet on the west in 1874. In 1879 Mr. Kuehn erected the Commercial Hotel corner of Main and Bailly street, which will be more particularly noted elsewhere. He is also president of the Wabasha bank, and in every way, as a liberal and public-spirited citizen, has fully identified himself with the interests of the city. Mr. Kuehn reports a gratifying increase of trade over that of 1882, sales in his clothing department being twenty-five to fifty per cent in advance of previous season. His establishment gives employment to a force of from six to eight clerks, and one wagon for the delivery of goods. He is also engaged in furnishing ties and timber for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railway, his contracts averaging about one thousand dollars per month for the past ten or twelve months. Mr. Kuehn is a native of Baden, Germany, born October 18, 1834, came to America in 1852, and three years later settled in this city. He married Miss Clarrie Genthner of his native city, born there December 8, 1840. Marriage celebrated in this city November 30, 1858. Their children are Magdalena, born November 23, 1861; Louisa, July 11, 1866; Emil, November 27, 1868; Clara, August 16, 1871; Frank, April 17, 1877.
Kuhfuss, George E. (page 521), who was for many years a resident of West Albany Township, and well known throughout Wabasha county, as well as beyond its limits, as a talented musical composer, was born in Hanover, Germany, December 23, 1851, son of George and Lena (Redich) Kuhfuss. In 1866, when in his fifteenth year, he came with his parents to the United States, reaching West Albany Township, Wabasha County, Minn., in March. The latter part of the journey, from La Crosse, Wis., to their destination, was made by stage, there being then no railroad. In section 21, West Albany Township, George Kuhfuss, the father, bought a farm of Wise brothers, on which stood a good new house. A small part of the land had also been improved. For over twenty years Mr. Kuhfuss toiled on the farm, making valuable improvements, though the loss of his wife, who died December 15, 1880, depressed his spirits to some extent, and perhaps took some of the energy out of his work. He survived her nearly seven years, finally passing away on November 30, 1887. They had eleven children, only one of whom was born in America. All are now deceased except a daughter, Mrs. Grabe, who lives in Minneapolis. George E. Kuhfuss in his boyhood attended school in District 37, West Albany Township. He acquired a good agricultural training in his youth, and his life was spent on the home farm, after he settled on it with his parents in 1866. Though he was a good practical farmer, it was as a musician and composer that he was best known throughout the county. In that line of activity he gave free rein to a natural talent, cultivated by study, and perhaps derived through inheritance, as his father was also a talented musician, and while living in Germany was the leader of a military band of 65 pieces. Four of Mr. Kuhfuss' sons and a daughter now constitute the Kuhfuss Orchestra, one of the best known and most popular musical organizations. George E. Kuhfuss was married December 4, 1877, to Augusta Reinhardt, who was born iat Columbus, Wis., May 17, 1858, daughter of William and Catherine Reinhardt. Her parents rfemoved with their children to Lake City when she was eleven years old. They both died in Lake City, the father at the age of 84 years, on April 31, 1916, and the mother at the age of 74, on February 20, 1906. To Mr. and Mrs. Kuhfuss nine children were born: Lena, on November 19, 1878; Augusta, May 6, 1880; George W., February 14, 1882; Lillian and William (twins), May 18, 1885; Charles, December 8, 1890; Augusta (second), August 24, 1893; Herman, March 24, 1895; and August, September 30, 1901. Four of the children are deceased, namely: Lena, who died August 27. 1879; Augusta (first), on April 27, 1881; Lillian, who died in infancy, and William, who died November 5, 1897. Charles is living in West Albany Township, as also is Herman. Augusta, the second of the name, is now Mrs. Harry Schmidt, of Pepin Township, Wabasha County. August is residing on the home farm with his mother. George E. Kuhfuss died November 3, 1911, deeply mourned by his family and regretted by a wide circle of frineds and acquaintances, among whom he was popular and respected. He was reared in the German Lutheran faith, and in early years worshiped with the West Albany congregation. In his latter years he became a member of the West Albany M. E. church. Politically he was a Republican, but was not active in politics beyond casting his vote. His widow, with a brother of hers and her youngest son, are residing on the old farm, and her other sons live but a short distance away.
Kuhfuss, George W William (page 520), farmer and musician, residing in section 20, West Albany Township, was born in this township, February 14, 1882, son of George and Augusta (Reinhardt) Kuhfuss. The family settlement was made here at an early date by his grandparents, who bought 160 acres of Wise Brothers, the land being little improved and with small buildings. In time the son George, the father of george William, succeeded to the property. He was a boy of fourteen when he came from Germany, and the rest of his life was spent here as a successful farmer. He also shared the marked family talent for music, attaining prominence as a composer. In Germany his father had been conductor of a military band of 65 pieces, besides composing pieces of merit, and the son George, so far as his opportunities permitted, followed in the paternal footsteps. In time he received the final summons and passed away, being survived by his wife Augusta, who was born in this country, and who is still living on the home farm. They were the parents of five children: Karl, a resident of West Albany Township; Gusta, now Mrs. Harry Schmidt, of Pepin Township; Herman, of West Albany Township; August, who is living on the home farm; and George William, the direct subject of this sketch. George William Kuhfuss was reared to manhood on his parents' farm, attending the common school to the age of 17 years. He remained at home until 1901, in which year he was married, November 21, to Emma E., daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Schumacher, of Mt. Pleasant Township. She was born in Chester Township, this county, April 1, 1883. Since his marriage Mr. Kuhfuss has been engaged in operating his present farm of 91 acres in section 20, doing general farming. It is located ten miles south of Lake City, about six miles from Theilman and the same distance from Millville, the two latter places being Mr. Kuhfuss' principal markets. He has a fine set of buildings, and his farm is well stocked with high grade Holstein cattle and Duroc and Chester- White hogs. With a good modern operating equipment, he is making satisfactory financial progress, being also a stockholder in the Theilman opera house and the Farmers' elevator in Millville. Like his father and grandfather, he is also a musician, being a member of the Kuhfuss Orchestra, composed of his three brothers, his sister, and himself, which is well known throughout this part of the state. A Republican in politics, Mr. Kuhfuss has interested himself in public affairs. In 1914 he was elected county commissioner, and in 1918 was re-elected to succeed himself for another term of four years, and served six years as chairman of the school board of his district, manifesting good business ability and a helpful public spirit. He is a member of several fraternal orders, including Wapahasa Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Wabasha; the Elks' lodge at Red Wing, the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Lake City, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Red Men at Millville. He and his wife are affiliated religiously with the German M. E. church in West Albany Township.