Labisky, Gust D., (page 540), chairman of the Plainview Township board, and a well to do general farmer and stock raiser, was born in the province of Schleswig, Germany, December 11, 1859, son of Dave and Rosa (Quark) Labisky. The parents, natives of the same province, came to the United States in 1868, locating in Sheboygan County, Wis. Two years later they removed to Manitowoc County, in the same state, where they spent the rest of their lives, the father dying in 1888 and the mother in 1898. Gust D. Labisky was educated in the common schools of Wisconsin, and for one winter in North Dakota. After living with his parents until 18 years of age, he worked out two years, and the, in 1878, came to Minnesota, locating in Winona County, where for about two seasons he was engaged in farm work. After that he spent two seasons in North Dakota, at the end of that time taking a homestead in Edmunds County, South Dakota, where he farmed for seven years. Then returning to Minnesota, he operated rented farms in Wabasha County for two years, afterwards for six years in Winona County, and still later for eight years in Wabasha County again. At the end of that time he bought his present farm of 160 acres in section 27, Plainview Township, on which he has since made valuable improvements, having rebuilt the house and nearly all the barns and erected other outbuildings. He is profitably breeding Shorthorn cattle for dairy and beef purposes, and also raises Poland China hogs. In 1919 he bought a farm of 160 acres in section 26, which he has deeded to his two sons, Charles and Albert. A man of forceful character, keeping in close touch with public affairs, Mr. Labisky has naturally been called upon to serve in public offices. He has been a member of the school board for many years, and is now chairman of the township board, of which he has been a member nine years. His religious affiliations are with the Lutheran church. Mr. Labisky was married March 14, 1888, to Bertha Nienow, who was born in Germany, May 2, 1865, and came to America in 1867. He and his wife are the parents of five children: Charles J., born February 7, 1889; Leona C., December 25, 1890; Albert H., October 18, 1894; Clara M., February 11, 1898; and Verna, born December 10, 1899. Charles J. is now a farmer in Plainview Township. Leona C. is the wife of Albert Claussen, and has three children, Vera, Alvin and Chester. Albert H. is farming the home place, Charles is farming the land in section 26, while Clara M. is residing at home with her parents, and Verna is keeping house for Charles. Mr. Labisky is an excellent type of the self-made man who has attained prosperity through his own efforts, and he is well known and respected throughout this part of the county.
LaCraft, John A. (page 229), was for some thirty years a vital part of the business development of Plainview, and his life and work are intimately interwoven into the very fabric of the history of the village. He was known to all, he was the friend of all, and his genial disposition and helpful spirit were a blessing to those with whom he came in contact. His memory will remain as a pleasing fragrance in the souls of those who came to know him intimately. Born in Boltonville, Wisconsin, November 11, 1856, the son of John and Mary La Craft, his boyhood was spent in his native village, where he received his youthful education. From that place he went to Clark, South Dakota, and there engaged in the jewelry business. In the year 1889 he came to Plainview, then a flourishing village, where he entered the employ of the now historic firm of Landon & Burchard. A few years later he bought out his employers and then continued in business until his lamented death, April 10, 1919. Thus briefly is told the career of a truly good and useful man. In building up his own success he was ever mindful of the happiness and welfare of others, he took a deep interest in all that tended toward the betterment of the community, and he was beloved by old and young alike. As a man he stood high in the estimation of all. He was a loving husband and wisely indulgent father, he possessed a deep religious spirit and labored for the advancement of the church, he was of a fraternal disposition and faithful to his duties to the lodges, he was a useful citizen and believed thoroughly in conservative municipal improvement. In the Methodist Episcopal church he was an active official. In the Masonic, Odd Fellow and Modern Woodmen lodges he held various offices. Of his the public press has very appropriately said: "John A. La Craft was one of our most highly honored citizens, who will be greatly missed by the people of this community. He leaves behind a host of friends. His main characteristics were his sunny disposition, his companionable attitude, and his faith in mankind which never faltered. He possessed a true, rare faculty of making friends and holding them steadfastly, and maintained this to the last. He displayed outwardly his love for home, love for family and love for the townspeople; and his closer relationships, love for the community in which he so happily spent so many years of his life. All that are left behind of the thoughts and memory of a true and upright citizen will live on forever, and for all of these his life on earth will remain exemplary. His friends were numerous; appreciating all and blessing all, with his strong religious feeling, and faith in his Creator, he passed to the Great Beyond to receive the reward of the larger life." Mr. La Craft was married March 1, 1893, to Caroline Nicolay, by whom he had two children, Wyatt and Doris. The wife died July 1, 1901, his daughter Doris July 5 of the same year, and the son, Wyatt, April 2, 1918. Mr. La Craft was married August 27, 1906, at Minneapolis, to Ida Husby, who was born at Read's Landing, February 28, 1873, the daughter of John and Mary (Solberg) Husby, and this union was blessed with one daughter, Margaret, born November 21, 1910. Mrs. Ida Husby La Craft was reared in her native village and there attended the public school, graduating with the class of 1890. She then entered the normal school and was graduated from the kindergarten department, and for the following nine years followed teaching in the public schools at Plainview, both in the kindergarten and the grades. Mrs. La Craft is a lady of sterling qualities, interested in church and club work and music. She is a member of the Eastern Star Lodge and for several years served as organist of the local order. She is also an active member and worker in the Methodist Episcopal church. She was one of the instigators and organizers of the Travelers' Club, in which she is an active worker, and is a member of the church choir. Her home on Jefferson street is noted for its hospitality and good cheer.
Lager, Benedict (page 496), in former years a well known farmer and highly respected citizen of Pepin Township, but now deceased, was born in Hanover, Germany, March 21, 1841, son of Bernard and Mary Ann Lager. He came to America with his parents, the family residing two or three years in East Dubuque. In 1859 they came to Wabasha County, Minn., settling on a farm in section 28, Pepin Township, about seven miles west of Wabasha. The land was wild, there were no roads, and Indians were numerous. Bernard Lager and his wife were hard workers and in time developed their land into one of the best farms in Pepin Township. Here they spent the rest of their lives respected and esteemed as good neighbors, and both died on the farm. They are buried in St. Felix Cemetery at Wabasha. Benedict Lager's education was begun in Germany, in the common schools, and he also attended school for awhile after coming to this country. He resided at home until his marriage in April, 1870, to Caroline, daughter of Bernard and Helen Welp of Pepin Township. She was born in Hanover, Germany, November 16, 1850, and came to America with her parents then ten years old, the family settling on Pepin Hill, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Lager immediately after their marriage took up their residence on the farm in sections 21 and 28, Pepin Township, which he operated successfully until his death in March, 1904. He then owned 280 acres and had improved the property, having built a fine brick house. He carried on extensive agricultural operations, raising both grain and stock. One of the leading citizens of his township, he served it as supervisor and assessor for a number of years, and was a member of the school board of District No. 3. Politically he was a Democrat. At his death he had accumulated a competence, leaving his family in good circumstances, and was a good husband, father and citizen. He and his family were members of St. Felix parish of the Catholic church, and he belonged also to St. Joseph's Society. He was faithful in all the obligations of life and a liberal supporter of the church. Mr. and Mrs. Benedict Lager were the parents of nine children, born as follows: Sophia M., February 12, 1871; Benedict, August 26, 1872; Edward, April 1, 1873; Mary, March 23, 1875; Frank, September 23, 1877; Joseph, October 22, 1879; Henry, April 7, 1882; Annie, September 2, 1884, and George, October 3, 1887. Sophia M., who married Anton Kennebec of Wabasha, died on Wabasha Hill in the spring of 1910, leaving ten children, Isabelle, Lizzetta, Agnes, Clara, Frank, Josepha, Edward, Marcella, Bernice and Ruth. Benedict, now a carpenter in Wabasha, married Anna Graden and has one child, Ervin J. Edward, who is a carpenter living in the State of Washington, married Catherine Dooley. Mary is now Mrs. Edward Wise, Jr. of Lake City, and has three children, Edward, Ralph and Benedict. Frank, who is a railroad bridge carpenter residing in Minneapolis, married Ida Whaley and has two children, Benedict and John. Joseph, who is now a renter on the home farm, married Myrtle Elvira Berlin of Red Wing, January 9, 1907, and has three children, Florence, Dorothy and Frances. Henry is residing on Pepin Hill. Annie is the wife of William Mars, a farmer on Pepin Hill, and has two children, Elvira and Lavina. George, who also resides on Pepin HIll, married Mary Lager, who died December 26, 1915, leaving one child Loraine.
Lair, Edward M.
Lamb, Agustus H. (page 708), an active and prosperous farmer of Gillford Township, was born in this township July 6, 1862, son of Ezra G. and Laura J. (Wilson) Lamb. The parents were pioneers of the township, arriving in 1860 and subsequently developing a farm. August H. was reared on his parents' farm, on which he has always resided, and is now the owner. The farm is now one of the best in the township, and has been improved considerably by the subject of this sketch, who has built a good bar, tool sheds, granary and other buildings. He carries on diversified farming, raising high grade Shorthorn cattle, Shropshire sheep and Duroc-Jersey hogs. His operating equipment is modern and complete and includes two good auto cars. Among his herd are 16 milch cows, and he has installed on his farm two double-unit milking machines. Mr. Lamb served for a number of years as a member of the school board of district No. 70. In politics he is a Republican with independent tendencies. Mr. Lamb was married December 4, 1884, to Marcia Boss, daughter of Andrew and Jeanette Boss of Gillford Township. She was born at La Prairie, Wis., June 17, 1863, and accompanied her parents to Lake City, Wabasha county, when she was six months old, they subsequently settling on a farm in Gillford Township. To Mr. and Mrs. Lamb were born five children: Eva, April 6, 1887; Harvey, April 6, 1890; John, November 18, 1892; Chester, July 12, 1895; and Gertrude, February 17, 1900. Eva, who is a graduate of the normal course in the Lake City high school and also of the Minnesota Agricultural school, has been a teacher for the past seven years. Harvey is a farmer in Gillford Township. John, a graduate of the Lake City high school, is assistant cashier of the Lake City Bank of Minnesota. Chester, who is now with his father on the home farm, was a pupil for one year in the Lake City high school, and also for a year in the Minnesota Agricultural School. On September 19, 1918, he volunteered to serve in the World War, and was sent to Minneapolis, where he trained as auto mechanic in the Dunwoody Institute. He finished the course two days before the signing of the armistice and was discharged at Minneapolis, December 12, 1918. Gertrude is a graduate of the Lake City high school; she studied for one year in the Winona Normal school and is now a teacher. Mr. Lamb and his family attend and help to support the Methodist Episcopal church. In addition to his direct farming interests Mr. Lamb is a stockholder in the Oak Center Creamery, of which he was a director for one year; also in the Farmers' Elevator at Zumbro Falls, and in the Zumbro Falls Telephone Company, being a director in the latter. He and his family are among the most respected residents of Gillford Township.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Lamb, Ezra G. (page 709), one of the early settlers of Gillford Township who did pioneer work in developing a farm from the wilderness, was born in Vermont, August 28, 1820. He was married in the same state in 1841 to Laura J. Wilson, and in 1860 came with his family to Wabasha County, Minnesota. Here he arrived with but little means, but began farming in Gillford Township, he and his family living in a log house. He developed a farm of 160 acres in section 7, which farm is still in the family, being now the property of his son August. With the help of his sons Mr. Lamb brought his property into good condition, building a comfortable frame house and other buildings. He was successful as a farmer and was respected and esteemed as a man and a citizen. Politically a Republican, he had served while living in Pennsylvania in several local offices, but here took no active part in local affairs. He and his wife spent the rest of their lives on their farm, Mrs. Lamb dying September 26, 1914, and Mr. Lamb December 29, 1905. They were the parents of six children: Erastus, Lovina, Thaddeus, Julius, Gould and Augustus H. Erastus, who served in the Civil War, suffered hardships in the army which left him in poor health for the rest of his life and is now deceased. Lovina and Thaddeus are also dead. Julius is living at Monrovia, Calif., Gould is in Lake City, Minn., and Augustus H. is on the old home farm in Gillford Township, Wabasha County.
La Mont, George
Laqua, John (p. 679), whose death on February 12, 1919, deprived Highland Township of one of its most respected citizens, was born in Prussia, Germany, June 19, 1867, son of Carl and Anna Laqua. His parents spent their lives in their native Germany and are both now deceased. John Laqua came to the United States in September, 1890, landing at New York, and coming directly to Wabasha County, Minn. Locating at Theilman, he worked for a year in the wagon shop of his brother, Frank, at that place. At the end of that time he bought a farm of 120 acres in section 6, Highland Township, one mile from Theilman, and later bought 80 acres more in section 5, making in all 200 acres. Subsequently he sold the tract of 120 acres and moved to a tract of 80 in section 5, where he spent the rest of his life engaged in general farming and stock raising, increasing the size of the farm to 200 acres before his death. Mr. Laqua was married at Wabasha, January 12, 1898, to Emma Sagissor, daughter of Fred and Barbara (Ammon) Sagissor. Her parents and family came to this country in the early sixties, settling first in Illinois. After remaining there until 1875, they came to Wabasha County, Minn., locating in Highland Township, where Mr. Sagissor conducted a blacksmith shop for a while. Later he bought a farm which he operated until 1905, when he moved to Wabasha. There his death occurred in 1907, his wife having passed away two years previously at the time he gave up the farm. They were the parents of six children, all now living, namely: Albert Fred, Hector, Matilda, Lena, Berhta and Emma. Albert Fred resides in Highland Township, and Hector in Wabasha. Matilda is the wife of Gottleib Burkhardt of Wabasha Township, her sister Lena residing with her. Bertha is the wife of Fred Goetz of Plainview Township. Mr. And Mrs. Laqua have had four children, one of whom, Henry is now deceased. The living are Myrtle, Vera and Arthur, the last mentioned of whom is carrying on the farm work for his mother.
Laqua, William (p. 648) [Corrections by Delmar Becker], proprietor of a good farm of 110 acres in sections 6 and 7, Highland Township, was born in West Albany Township, Wabasha County, Minn., April 10, 1875, son of
Ernest and Rosa (Goihl) Laqua. Both parents were born in Germany, the father from a Rhine
province [Ober-Schlesien Prussia]. The latter came to the United States with his parents, William and Margaret Laqua, at a very early day [The latter came to the United States with his parents, Joseph and Rosina (Maiwald) Laqua, in 1858], the family being numbered among the earliest settlers in this county. They homesteaded a farm in West Albany Township. Rosa Goihl came with her parents several years later, settling in the same township, where in time she and Ernest Laqua were married. They carried on general farming and stock raising until his death in 1883. Subsequently she became
the wife of Edward Beck, also a native of Germany, with whom she is still living on the home
farm in West Albany. By her first marriage, with Mr. Laqua, she had six children, of whom there
are five now living: Anna, wife of Theodore Franke of West Albany Township; Agnes, wife of
John Lillie, also of West Albany; Elizabeth, wife of Nicholas Hoffman of Theilman; Ernest, who
resides on the home farm, and William, subject of this sketch. By Mrs. Laqua's second marriage,
with Mr. Beck, she had one child, John, now residing in Lake City. William Laqua in his
boyhood attended district school for the usual period, and worked on the home farm until the age
of 19 years, when he began working out. In 1904 he branched out for himself and two years later
bought his present farm of 100 acres in sections 6 and 7, Highland Township, which at the time
had but few improvements. Since then he has rebuilt the house, barn and other buildings and
brought the farm into good condition. He follows general agriculture, raising cattle, hogs and
sheep, and has taken rank among the prosperous citizens of his township. Religiously he is a
Catholic. On February 9, 1904, Mr. Laqua was united in marriage with Susanna Hoffman,
daughter of Theodore and Margaret Hoffman. Her parents, who were born in Germany, came to
the United States in 1879, and settling in Highland Township, this county, were engaged in
farming here for the rest of their lives, Mrs. Hoffman dying in 1895 and Mr. Hoffman in 1908.
They had nine children, all of whom are living, namely, Hubert, John, Nicholas, Christ, George,
Jacob, Frank, Emma and Susanna. Emma is the wife of John Ney of Plainview. All are residents
of Wabasha County, except Jake, who resides in Minneapolis. Mr. And Mrs. Laqua have had
five children, four of whom are living, and reside at home, namely: Leo, Theodore, Mildred and
Vincent. The other child, Lester, died in 1914.
Delmar also writes:
Laqua families were many, especially in West Albany township. Looking at old maps of 1877 and 1895 I connected at least 12 farms at one time or another to the Laqua family name. In 1986 we did an extensive Genealogy of this family and came up with 9 Original Laqua's that came to America and specifically Wabasha County. They were in three-family groups that were not related to each other. Today you can find very few Laqua's in West Albany township and only a couple of them rural land owners. Of course many families with other surnames can trace back to the Laqua name. I also found that at least a dozen or more families in the West Albany area, came from Ober-Schlesien Prussia and many came as a result of the first Laqua families along with Karl Moechnig and 5 other Prussian families, in 1858. This area of Prussia is now part of Poland.
Larson, Edwin H.
Larson, Elmer (page 744), who is engaged in farming with his brother Joseph in Mazeppa Township, was born in this township, May 19, 1885, son of Andrew and Christina (Johnson) Larson. He acquired his education in the district school, and like his brother Joseph, worked a number of years for his father. Coming into possession of land on his parents' death, he has since increased his holdings, and now owns 385 acres in sections 27, 28 and 21, Mazeppa Township. He and his brother Joseph live together and operate their farms in business association, being equal owners of the stock, horses and machinery. They have fine buildings, and have acquired a reputation for industry and enterprise, which qualities have placed them among the well to do citizens of their township. They are religiously affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church.
Laufenburger, Allen E.
Lawrence, James G.
Lea, William T.
Lee, John H.
Leonard, Hugh (page 643), a former superintendent of schools of Wabasha County, for the last six years a member of the state legislature, and who also has business and agricultural interests in the county, was born in Gillford Township, Wabasha County, March 4, 1865. His parents, Hugh and Catherine Boland Leonard, were natives of County Fermanagh, Ireland, where they were married, and where also they continued to reside until 1855, when they came to the United States. For about four years they remained in New York state, where three children were born to them, and then in 1859 they came to Wabasha County, Minn., disembarking from a steamboat at Read's Landing almost destitute of funds. From that place to a location in Hyde Park Township, a distance of 20 miles, they proceeded on foot, Mrs. Catherine Leonard carrying her youngest child in her arms. The five or six years they spent in Hyde Park Township were years of struggle and privation, but they made some progress, and at the end of that period bought 320 acres of wild land in Gillford Township, on their tract building a log cabin. Mr. Leonard then bought a team of oxen and began the development of the new farm, a task which occupied him for many years. There he died on April 9, 1909. For the last nine years of his life he had been a widower, his wife having passed away on the home farm February 2, 1900. The children born to them are as follows: James, now a farmer near Hettinger, N.D.; Mary Ann, who married James McCaffrey, and died at St. Thomas, Minn., where her husband was engaged in farming; Michael, now deceased; Elizabeth, deceased, who was the wife of Hugh McCaffrey, of Wabasha; Theresa, wife of Hugh McGuigan, of South St. Paul; William, a farmer in Gillford Township; Hugh, the subject of this sketch; and Thomas, who is a farmer in Gillford Township, and owner of part of the old home farm. Hugh Leonard acquired his elementary education in the common schools, after which he was a pupil for two years in the Lake City high school, and for two years in the Winona Normal Schools. He then took up the profession of a teacher, and was thus occupied for three years in District 3, Pepin Township, Wabasha County, having 100 pupils enrolled. His next school was at Mazeppa, this county, Minn., which he taught three years and subsequently he spent several years in teaching other schools in the county. Having shown more than ordinary ability as an educator, Mr. Leonard was elected to the office of county superintendent, in which he served two terms, from January 1, 1899, to December 31, 1902, making as good a record as a superintendent as he had as a teacher. Since 1907 he has owned and operated 160 acres of the old home farm in Gillford Township, and now has it all under cultivation except 10 acres. He breeds Shorthorn and Durham cattle, having full blooded sires for his herds. Aside from his direct farming interests, he is a stockholder in the Farmers' Co-operative Shipping and Elevator Association of Millville, which he is serving as vice president, and is president of the Plainview Farmers Mutual Fire Insurance Company. In 1914 he was elected to the state legislature, in which body, through successive re-elections, he has since continued to serve. Politically he is a Democrat. On May 9, 1889, Mr. Leonard was united in marriage with Margaret McCullogh, who was born in Oakwood Township, Wabasha County, Minn., May 31, 1871, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James McCullogh. Eight children have been born to this union, as follows: Thomas Howard, January 20, 1891; William Grover, March 30, 1893; Joseph Homer, July 4, 1896; Ambrose, March 11, 1899; John, in March 1903; Marguerite, March 30, 1905; and Helen Angela, May 30, 1908. The eldest son, Thomas H., who is unmarried, is now living on the home farm. William G. is married and is a farmer in West Albany Township. Joseph H. is inspector in the U.S. immigration office at Winnipeg, Canada. Ambrose and John are both deceased, Ambrose having died in infancy, and John when two and a half years old. Marguerite is a student in Lake City High School. Helen Angela is residing at home with her parents. Mr. Leonard and his family are Catholics in religious faith, being members of St. Patrick's parish at West Albany, which he is serving as trustee and secretary.
Lewis, Jesse E.
Loechler, John S. (page 688), a prominent representative of the agricultural interests of Highland Township, was born in Wabasha village, this county, April 18, 1878, son of Gabriel and Maggie (Mitmesser) Loechler. The father, who came to the United States from Germany at an early day, was married in Wabasha, where he first located. He was variously employed, working for some time in a grocery store, on the railroad, and in the round-house of the narrow-gauge road, and for a long time ran an engine in the saw and planing mill of Mr. Chamberlain. In such occupations he was employed until his death in 1911. His wife is now living in Minneapolis with her daughter. Mrs. Dennie Grogen. Mr. and Mrs. Gabriel Loechler had ten children, five sons and five daughters, all of whom are living: Anna, the wife of Nicholas Peters, lives at Degraff, Minn.; Henry, foreman at Big Joe Mill, Wabasha; Gabriel, a farmer in Pepin Township; Christine, wife of William Miller, a farmer residing in Buffalo County, Wis.; John S., subject of this sketch; Maggie, wife of Joe Koopman, of Wabasha; Martha, wife of Dennie Grogen, of Minneapolis; George, a railroad man living at Red Wing, Minn.; Tillie, wife of Fred Cook, of Wabasha, her husband being an engineer on the C. M. & St. P. railway; and Charlie, who is a retired farmer living in Wabasha. John S. Loechler was reared in Wabasha, where he attended school, both the public school and that of St. Felix. For several summers he worked in a brick yard, and then engaged in railroad work for a time. After that for nine years he was a packer in the St. Joe [sic ~ should be "Big Joe"] Mill in Wabasha and for three years a general hand, then afterwards for two years a machine tender. In 1914 he bought 40 acres of land in Cook's Valley where he farmed for four years. At the end of that time he sold that farm and bought one of 310 acres in sections 3 and 10, Highland Township, where he has since resided. The farm is provided with a good read brick house of 12 rooms, a barn 30 by 40 feet, and other necessary buildings, and he is raising graded stock, including cattle, hogs and sheep, with good financial results. In 1920 he let a contract for a new frame barn 36 by 80 feet, with an 8-foot cement basement. Mr. Loechler was married in Wabasha in 1898 to Sophia Tentis, daughter of John and Mary Tentis. Her parents, now deceased, dame to the United States from Germany in a sailing vessel in 1878, and settled in Cook's Valley, Glasgow Township, this county and state. They had a family of ten children, of whom nine are now living, those in addition to Mrs. Loechler being: Adam, a farmer in Highland Township; John R., who is farming in Glasgow Township; Delia, wife of John Tebor, a farmer in Watopa Township; Jake, a farmer of Glasgow Township; Susie, wife of Ed Graner of Glasgow Township; Allen, also of that township; Emil, a farmer in Minneiska Township; and Fran, engaged in the same occupation in Glasgow Township. Mr. and Mrs. Loechler are the parents of six children: Albert J., Lawrence, Herman, Mary, Susie and Sophia, all residing on the home farm, which the sons are helping to cultivate.
Loechler, Sylvester (page 574), who was for many years one of the leading merchants of Wabasha City, engaged in the clothing and men's furnishing business, was born in Baden, Germany, December 31, 1857, and came to this country with his parents when a small boy, the family settling in Wabasha County, Minn. Here the parents died some years ago. Sylvester Loechler attended the common schools and subsequently learned the tailor's trade with Lawrence Ginther of Wabasha. Ambitious to become his own master, in course of time he established a store of his own, inn connection with the tailoring business, putting in a line of clothing and men's furnishings. To perfect himself in his trade he went to New York, where he took a course in cutting school, completing it January 22, 1890. Then returning to Wabasha, he established a business by himself. Later he became connected in business with Frank Miller, forming the firm of Loechler & Miller, located on Pembroke street, Mr. Loechler owning the two-story brick building. There he continued busily employed until his death on April 6, 1908. His career was marked by industry and enterprise and was crowned with success. He accumulated a fair competency, and owned a comfortable home on the corner of Second and Bailey streets, which is now occupied by his widow. As a man of sterling worth and a citizen who understood and fulfilled his obligations to the community, he was highly esteemed. In politics he was a Democrat, but at no time an office holder. Mr. Loechler was married November 7, 1894, to Mary, daughter of Cornelius and Mary (Ryan) Mahoney of Watopa Township, Wabasha County. She was born on a farm in Greenfield Township, this county, February 21, 1868.. Her parents are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Loechler had no children of their own, but reared two children of a sister of Mr. Loechler, William and Clara. William is now living in Seattle, Wash., and his sister Clara in Winnebago City, Minn. After her husband's death Mrs. Loechler continued the business with Mr. Miller until January 1, 1916, when she sold her interests, and the firm is now Miller & O'Flaherty, located on Pembroke street, opposite the former store. She still owns the Loechler Bldg., which she rents. She is a member of the Catholic church and the Wabasha Woman's Club, and enjoys a wide social popularity.
Lohse, Herman E.
Lorenz, Charles Henry (p. 601), a well known young business man of Minneiska village, was born in Buffalo county, Wis., May 31, 1888, son of Ignatz and Elizabeth (Walter) Lorenz. The father of Charles Henry was born in Germany and the mother in Pennsylvania, the latter coming west to Wisconsin when a young girl. Married in buffalo county, they resided there for some years subsequently, and then, in 1894, crossed the river and settled in Weaver, Wabasha County, Minn., where the mother is still living, the father having died in 1906. They had a family of eight children: Bertha, wife of John Becker, a farmer in section 34, Watopa Township, this county; Winnie, who married Albert Synder (sic) and resides in Idaho; Annie, wife of Ira Lowden; Louis, a resident of Addie, wife of Bird Gage of Minneiska; George, who married Caroline Beman and lives in Winona, Minn.; and Harry, who is now serving in the United States navy. Charles Henry Lorenz was about six years old when he accompanied his parents to Minnesota. His education was acquired in the local school and after entering the ranks of industry he followed the carpenter's trade for some four or five years. Later he became proprietor of a place of refreshment in Weaver, followed the same business for a short time in Kellogg, this county, and later for a longer period in Minneiska, to which village he came in February, 1915. He is at present engaged in the sale of non-intoxicating drinks, and cigars. His place of business was always conducted in an efficient way, and he has the reputation of a substantial and reliable citizen. Mr. Lorenz was married in 1909 to Louise Wolf, who was born March 22, 1884, daughter of Henry and Sarah (Brown) Wolf, of Minneiska. He and his wife are the parents of one child, Leo, who was born March 16, 1912. The family are members of the Catholic church.
Lothrop, Hugh L.
Luhmann, John J. (page 737), a recent arrival in Zumbro township, where he has begun farming operations, is a native of Wabasha County, having been born in Gillford Township June 7, 1883, son of Peter and Lena (Minkow) Luhman. The father came to Minnesota from Germany in the early sixties. The mother was born in Illinois. They were married in Wabasha County and located on a farm of 140 acres near Belvidere, Goodhue County. Later they removed to Gillford Township, Wabasha County, where Peter Luhman operated a farm until his death in 1915. The farm is still owned by his widow and is operated by their son Peter, who was one of 11 children, the full list being: Mary, Katherine, John J., Clara, Harry, Emma, Caroline, Peter, Alice, Elvina Anna, and Lillie. All are now living except Elvina. The family are members of the Lutheran church. John J. Luhman was educated in the district school and worked for his father and the neighbors until 1909. After that for three years he rented a farm in Goodhue County. In 1912 he removed to a rented farm in Gillford Township, Wabasha county, which he operated four years, and from 1916 to 1919 he operated another rented farm in Olmsted county. In the year last mentioned he came to his present farm of 160 acres in section 31, Zumbro Township, and has made a good start as a general farmer and stock raiser. He has planned building operations in the near future. Mr. Luhman was married September 30, 1909, to Alvina Damman, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. John Damman of Zumbrota. Of this union six children have been born: Mildred, August 1, 1910; Alfred, December 4, 1912; Elmer, April 22, 1914; John, April 17, 1915; Elnora, February 18, 1917, and Wilmer, June 15, 1919. The family are members of the Lutheran church. Mr. And Mrs. John Damman, the parents of Mrs. Luhman, were natives of Germany who came to America in 1873, settling in Goodhue County, Minn., where they engaged in farming on 160 acres of land, Mr. Damman building a house and outbuildings. In 1918 they retired and now live in Zumbrota. They had ten children: William, Margaret, John, Rose, Minnie, Clara, Sarah, Hulda, Fred and Alvina. Like the Luhmans, the Dammans are affiliated religiously with the Lutheran church.
Lunde, Louis C.
Lydon, Daniel B.
Lyon, John B.
Lyon, William H.
Lyons, Gustav H. (page 649), a respected citizen of Highland Township, now living practically retired on his farm in section 30, was born in East Machias Port, Maine, February 11, 1854, son of Edward and Rebecca (Benner) Lyons. His parents were both eastern people, the father being a native of Nova Scotia and the mother of Maine. The former took up his residence in Maine when a young man and engaged in the lumber business, which he followed all his life. He and his wife were married in that state and remained there until 1867, when they came west to Eau Claire, Wis., where Edward Lyons continued in the lumber industry, working in the woods, in mills and on the river log driving. He died in 1890, and his wife survived him 15 years, passing away in 1905. They had a family of 12 children, of whom three are now living: Pauline, residing in Eau Claire, Wis.; Edward, of Bellingham, Wash., and Gustus H. Those deceased are: George (first), Benjamin, George (second), Malissa, Anna, Odel, Alegree, and two who died in infancy. Gustus H. Lyons was reared in the state of Maine, where he attended school He was 13 years old when he accompanied his parents to Wisconsin, where he continued his studies; residing in Eau Claire until reaching the age of 19. For two years after that he was engaged in lumbering on the Wisconsin river. In 1874 he came to Wabasha County, Minn., settling in Plainview. For a while he worked on the farm of Thomas Bolton, spending his winters in the woods of northern Wisconsin. In 1882 he engaged in farming in Highland Township, on section 31, where he bought 80 acres, but later he sold that farm and bought 160 acres in section 30. For several years after Mr. Lyons began farming for himself he used to spend his winters in the woods lumbering, but in 1894 he settled down exclusively to farming, in which occupation he has since continued, raising, in addition to the usual crops, horses, cattle, hogs and Shropshire sheep. He is now practically retired, doing only light work, his son Edward managing the farm. Mr. Lyons formerly took a more or less active part in public affairs, serving as treasurer of his school district six years, being a member of the town board, of which he was chairman four years, and was four years assessor of Highland Township, in all these capacities showing himself an active and interested citizen of good business ability. He is a member of the Catholic church and of the Knights of Columbus.