MacKenzie, D.O., Christie M. (page 229), of Plainview, a skilled practitioner of the modern science of osteopathy, was born at Plato, Minn., March 25, 1889, daughter of Donald and Annie (McNeil) MacKenzie. She was graduated from Plato high school in the class of 1905, and then entered the general hospital at St. Peter, where she received three years' training as a nurse, being graduated in 1908. During the seven years following she followed nursing as a profession. Then, in 1915, she entered the American School of Osteopathy, at Kirksville, MO., and after three years a student, was graduated with the class of 1918. Beginning practice in her home town, she remained there three months, at the end of which time she came to Plainview and opened her present office in the F. J. Cornwall building, where she is making a specialty of the diseases of women and children, though also engaged in general practice. She has not yet lost a case, and her remarkable success has not only called public attention to the method of healing she practices, but has also gained for her a wide personal reputation and increased the number of her patients. The article on osteopathy presented in this work was prepared by her.
McCarty, Abraham B. (page 324), a Minnesota pioneer who died at his home in Plainview at 3 o/clock on Tuesday morning, January 9, 1917, was born at Muncey, Penn., November 14, 1828. At the age of nine years he came west with his parents, who made their home for a few years at Springfield, Ills. Later they moved to Beloit, Wis., taking a farm on which he resided until he reached the age of 21. In the following spring he left for Hudson and Stillwater, driving the first team that crossed the prairie, and arriving at Hudson, May 20, 1860. That year, on the Fourth of July, he erected the first flagstaff placed in Hudson, the occasion being enthusiastically celebrated. He was in Minneapolis when there was but one log house there. St. Anthony at that time was but a mere trading-post and St. Paul an Indian village. During his pioneer life he also visited Winona, which at the time contained about half a dozen buildings. He spent about five years in Wisconsin, near Stillwater, following the occupation of a farmer, and during which time he broke a great deal fo the new prairie for the early settlers. At one time he took a claim where now statnds the city of Blackk River Falls. A very robust and sturdy man, he delighted in the pioneer life and aided many to establish new homes. Over 42 years ago Mr. McCarty came to Woodland, Wabasha County, and shortly after purchased the home farm on which he resided until about eleven years ago. In 1908 he purchased a home and moved to Plainview, retiring from active farm life. He was united in marriage in Woodland, December 25, 1879, to Sarah Smith, who was born at South Danvers, Mass., October 15, 1848. Of this union were born two children: Lottie, October 24, 1880, and Jessie, October 20, 1884. Lottie is now Mrs. Alexander La Rocque, of Webb Lake, Wis., and has one child of her own, Alice, besides an adopted child, Chester. Jessie is the wife of Lynn Helgerson, of Minneapolis, and has two children, Lee W. and Ruth L. Mr. McCarty was a man of generous characteristics, always ready to aid a friend and give assistance to the needy. He found great pleasure in doing good to others. He was an active, industrious man who never shirked his duty. He was a great home lover, yet took much pleasure in associating with neighbors and friends. In his declining years his greatest regret was his inability to follow an active life. During the holiday season he loved to see his children and grandchildren about the festive board. His memory will linger long in the minds of those who knew him.
McCarty, Gen. Seth L. (page 245), in former days an honored resident of Plainview, who had a notable military record, was born in Muncy, Lycoming County, Penn., June 9, 1808, son of Mr. and Mrs. William McCarty. He was educated in the common schools and remained in his native place until reaching his twenty-first year. During two years of that time he worked for John Crouse, a cabinet-maker of Muncy, with whom he learned the trade, which he followed later in Towanda, Bradford County, Penn., until the spring of 1832. He then went to Newmarket, Canada, where he opened a cabinet-shop. He continued in business there until the breaking out of the patriot war in 1837. This war at once furnished him the opportunity that his military nature sought, and he soon found a place on General McKenzie's staff, and was immediately employed to bear dispathes to divers members of the Dominion parliament concerned in the revolt. On his good stout war horse he performed this task, that required not a little nerve and energy. Frequently the enemy crowded him in close pursuit, on one occasion forcing him to ride a distance of 52 miles in six hours, and on another 68 miles in eight hours. He was next transferred to Gen. Van Rensselaer's staff, and served under him until the winter of 1837-8, when he was sent for the support of General McClellan, of the Western division, and remained with him until the war closed. General McCarty led the forces that stormed and captured Windsor, opposite Detroit, and it was after this battle, in which he displayed great bravery and military genius, that he was raised from the rank of colonel to that of brigadier-general. With the close of this war terminated the active military life of General McCarty. He soon after resigned his commission and removed to Detroit, Mich., and the following year to Port Huron, in the same state, where he continued to reside until 1855, when he came to Minnesota and located on the southeast quarter of section 21, in Plainview Township. There he gave himself up to the peaceful pursuit of agriculture, the even tenor of his subsequent life being disturbed only on the occasion of the Indian outbreak in Minnesota in 1862, when he went to the front. He held a commission in the state militia from 1860. Two years after his settlement in Minnesota a post office was established at his house under the name of Independence, of which office he was postmaster until it was discontinued in 1862. General McCarty was the first settler in southwest Plainview. He always affiliated with the Democratic party, and was a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married in York County, Canada, in 1856, to Rebecca McCausland, daughter of James and Anna McCausland, and their children were: James, who became a farmer in Plainview Township; David, who took up farming in Winona County; Mary Ann, who married Samuel Loy, of Spokane County, Wash.
McClure, F. M. (page 241), a widely known veterinary surgeon and business man, located in Plainview, was born in Kincardine, Ontario, Canada, July 6, 1876, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (McClellan) McClure. He was educated in his native province of Ontario, and came to the United States in 1892, locating at Calumet, Michigan. In 1905 he entered the McKillip Veterinary College at Chicago, where he studied his profession, being graduated in 1909. He first began practice in Calumet, Mich., but in 1920 came to Plainview, Minn., where he has since been established and has built up a lucrative practice. In 1914 he built his present hospital, having in the previous year purchased a neat and comfortable residence. Thoroughly skilled in all branches of his profession, he has gained a wide reputation as a reliable veterinary surgeon. Aside from his profession, since 1917, in association with Charles E. Richmond, he has been engaged in the buying and selling of real estate, including farms, and farm land, also horses and cattle, with profitable results. He is now the owner of a fine farm of 640 acres in Montana. For a number of years he has been a member of the Masonic order, in which he has advanced to the thirty-second degree, and he also belongs to the Mystic Shrine. Dr. McClure was married June 14, 1904, to Myrtle Underwood, of Langdon, N. D., and he and his wife are the parents of one child, Ralph B., born February 16, 1908, who is now attending public school. Dr. McClure and his family are well and favorably known throughout the southern part of Wabasha County. Their religious affiliations are with the Congregational church.
McCue, William W. (page 239), one of the pioneer settlers in Plainview Township, now deceased, was born in Canada, November 18, 1835. He was educated in the Dominion, and on beginning industrial life took up farming. In 1861, at the age of 25 years, he came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, buying 80 acres of land in section 23, Plainview Township. The land was wild and the only building on it was an old shanty. To improve the place into a good farm was a task of considerable magnitude, requiring much time and hard labor, but Mr. McCue applied himself to it with assiduity and kept at it until it was accomplished, erecting all necessary buildings up to a fine residence which he built in 1894, and which for that time was thoroughly modern and installed with every desirable convenience that was obtainable. His horses, cattle and swine were of good grade, and he also kept a few sheep. As a man and citizen he was widely respected and for several years was a school director of his district. In his latter years he was a member of the Old Settlers' Association, and was also an Odd Fellow. A man of abundant energy, taking a pleasure in work, he continued in the harness until death put an end to his labors in February 6, 1915. Mr. McCue was first married to Alice Berlin, who died May 24, 1872. By her he had one son, Wright B., born May 23, 1871, who is now residing in South St. Paul, Minn. On June 25, 1873, at Wabasha, Minn., Mr. McCue was married secondly to Anna Bairey, who was born in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, September 10, 1849. The issue of this marriage is a son, Fred W., born January 20, 1878, who is now operating the home farm, his mother keeping house for him. He is giving special attention to the breeding of Shropshire sheep, and also raises Chester-White swine, both with profitable results. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal church.
McCracken, Robert G.
McCracken, Sr., William
McDonough, Alfred J. (page 347), who is engaged in handling dairy products, and also in the general insurance business, at Theilman, was born in Highland Township, Wabasha County, Minn., October 8, 1891, son of Andrew and Mary (Bricher) McDonough. The parents were both born in Highland Township, and were there married. Andrew McDonough is of Irish descent, while his wife's parents came from Luxemburg. Mr. and Mrs. McDonough own a good farm of 120 acres in Highland Township, well improved and with good buildings. The father served the township many years as a member of the town board. In politics a Democrat. He and his wife have had six children, all now living, namely: Alfred J., of Theilman; Viola, residing at home; Eugene, who is assisting his father on the home farm; Myrtle, Marion and Lloyd, all living on the home farm. Alfred J. McDonough spent his early years on the farm, remaining there until 1909, when he went to Minneapolis, entering the employ of Lydon, Bricher & Co., manufacturers of table pads. For two years he worked for them as traveling salesman and for two years as superintendent of the shipping department. In 1913 he returned to Wabasha County, and locating in Theilman village, opened a station for buying dairy products, a business in which he has since continued. He also does a general insurance business, including fire, life, health, accident, hail and liability insurance, and as sole proprietor is conducting both branches of his business successfully and with profitable results. In addition to this is also a notary public. Mr. McDonough was married September 24, 1915, to Louise Weigele, who was born at Wabasha, Minn., September 28, 1895, daughter of Charles and Madeline Weigele. He and his wife are the parents of two children: Victor, born April 16, 1917; and Earl, born April 14, 1919. The family are members of the Catholic church and of St. Joseph's parish at Theilman. Mr. McDonough is one of the stirring business men of the village, and a live factor in its prosperity. He has a wide acquaintance and enjoys a well deserved popularity.
McDonough, Andrew C. (page 426), a well known farmer and stock raiser of Highland Township, is a native of this county and comes of pioneer ancestry, having been born in Highland Township, February 24, 1865, son of Patrick and Julia (Lydon) McDonough. The parents were natives of Ireland, where they grew up and were married. They came to the United States in the fall o f 1848 and resided successively in several eastern states, Patrick McDonough being engaged in railroad construction work. In 1854 they set out for St. Paul, Minn., making a part of their journey up the Mississippi river on a steamboat, which was unable to pass through Lake Pepin on account of ice, and the McDonoughs, therefore, disembarked at Read's Landing, and took land in Cook's Valley, at this locality now known as McDonough's Springs, Highland Township. The history of their pioneer experiences is told elsewhere in this volume. They were the parents of twelve children, seven of whom are now living. Andrew C. McDonough was reared on his parents' farm and acquired his education in district school No. 37. He worked on the home farm until 1890, the year of his marriage, and then for two years was engaged in farming on his father-in-law's place. Afterwards he returned to the home farm, which his father gave him before he died, and he now has 140 acres, of which he himself purchased forty acres. He is carrying on general farming operations, raising cattle, hogs and sheep. Of the sheep, which are of the Shropshire breed, he keeps from 50 to 100. Mr. McDonough has taken an active part as a citizen, has been clerk of his school district for ten years and served three years as town assessor. He is a Catholic in religion, belonging to Conception parish, and is also a member of the Equitable Fraternal Union, the Ancient Order of Hibernians and the Knights of Columbus. On October 21, 1890, Mr. McDonough was united in marriage with Mary Bricher, daughter of John and Mary (Schierts) Bricher, their union being solemnized in Conception Catholic church. Her father was born in Luxemburg and her mother in Minnesota. Their occupation was that of framing. Their family numbered ten children, five sons and five daughters, all of whom are living, namely [book only lists nine]: Eliza, wife of J. N. Klein of Kellogg; Susan, who married Thomas Lydon and is now a widow; Anna, widow of C. C. Lydon; Katherine, who married John Schneider of Pasadena, Calif.; Joseph, of Cottage Grove, Ore.; John D., who is with the Lydon-Bricher Manufacturing Co., of St. Paul; Christ C., residing in the same city; Nicholas, cashier in the State Bank of Theilman;' and Mary, wife of Andrew C. McDonough. Mr. and Mrs. McDonough have six children, all living: Alfred, of Theilman, and Viola, Eugene, Myrtle, Marion and Lloyd, residing at home.
McDonough, Coleman C.
McDonough, John (page 549) now living retired in the village of Kellogg, after a successful career in agriculture, is a worthy representative of one of the old pioneer families of Wabasha County. He was born in Galway, Ireland, June 24, 1848, remaining there one and a half years after his parents came to the United States, when he came with his grandparents to America. Residing successively in Vermont, Ohio and that part of the Old Dominion, now known as West Virginia, he came with the family to Wabasha County, Minnesota, as a boy of six years, in 1854, their first settlement being made on a tract of land, including one quarter section, in section 1, which the father homesteaded in 1860. He afterward disposed of this land and bought 400 acres in the same township, which the son John helped to develop, working on the farm until 1869, and as a boy attending district school. In 1869 John went to Missouri, where he remained five years, being employed as foreman of construction for railroads in that and adjoining states. Then returning home, he remained on the farm for two years. He now engaged in farming for himself, buying a farm near Plainview, but after awhile he disposed of the place and bought another in Highland Township, and later 160 acres in the town of Watopa. On the last mentioned farm he resided for ten years, operating it on a profitable basis. At the end of that time he retired and moved to Kellogg, of which place he has since been a resident. He has sold a part of his farm, retaining 80 acres, which he has rented out to a tenant, and is now enjoying a period of well earned repose. He is a member of the Catholic church and of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. Mr. McDonough was married in July, 1878, in Highland Townhip, to Bridget Murphy, daughter of Timothy and Mary (Ryan) Murphy. Her parents were natives of Tipperary, Ireland, who came to the United States about 1853, and to Minnesota about 1858, settling in Highland Township. Mr. and Mrs. McDonough have had nine children: John, Mary and Joseph, who are deceased, and Edward, James, Julia, Timothy, Mary (second), and Bartholomew, who are still living. Bartholomew enlisted in the 318th Engineers, in the war with Germany, and was in the service for 18 months, 14 of which were spent in France-in the Argonne, at Sedan and Verdun, and with the army of occupation in Germany. He was honorably discharged at Camp Grant, Rockford, Ill., in June, 1919.
McDonough, Patrick (page 427 ~ photo available), a notable pioneer of Wabasha County, who settled in Highland Township among the earliest arrivals, was born in Galway, Ireland, about the year 1817, and died on his farm in that township in 1917, having rounded out a century of existence. His early years were spent in his native land, where he grew up and married Julie Lydon. In the fall of 1848 they sailed for the United States, landing at New York November 1. For about six years after arriving in this country Mr. McDonough was engaged in railroad construction work for the Baltimore & Ohio and Pittsburgh & Wheeling railroads, residing successively in Vermont, Ohio and West Virginia, the last mentioned state then being a part of Virginia. In 1854 Mr. McDonough and his family joined the tide of emigration to Minnesota, and on reaching the Mississippi took a steamboat bound up the river, intending to go to St. Paul, but when they got as far as Reed's Landing it was found that Lake Pepin was blocked with ice and navigation closed, so they made a virtue of necessity and landed. After examining the prospect and hearing reports of the surrounding country, Mr. McDonough located as a squatter on a tract of land in Cook's Valley, Highland Township, at what is now known as McDonough's Springs. Minnesota was then a territory, but in 1858 it became a state, and a few years later he homesteaded his property, obtaining a legal title. Subsequently he bought more land until he had 400 acres. The first dwelling of himself and family was a small log structure, which at one time was occupied by four or five Irish families who had come from Galway and settled in the township, which was then a wilderness with few white inhabitants. Indians were numerous, but were friendly, and never gave the McDonoughs any trouble, though for a few years there was some timidity in regard to them, especially among the women, but with the increase of white settlers this feeling passed away. When Mr. McDonough squatted on his claim, so far as he knew there was no other white man or family to the west of him. Neither were there any roads or bridges, and the streams had to be forded. He was advised never to cross the Zumbro, as the land to the west would never be civilized, but he did cross and was not molested by the Indians. Though he had some money, most of the necessities of life were hard to get, as there were no stores nearer than Wabasha, twelve miles away. There he and his wife did their trading, Mrs. McDonough carrying eggs to market in a basket, and he bringing home bags of flour and groceries on his back. These expeditions were long, hard and tiresome tramps, but they belonged to the life of the pioneer and could not be evaded. Moreover they furnished some relief to the monotony of the daily routine of grubbing and breaking land, and at Wabasha an occasional steamboat was seen, and new arrivals greeted and given free advice. At one time Mr. McDonough was offered the entire townsite of Lake City for $400, but he declined the offer, as he thought the land contained too much sand. His entire life, after coming to this county, was spent on the farm on which he first settled, and he kept improving it, with the aid of his sons, as long as his years permitted him to labor. After his retirement he enjoyed a well earned leisure in the society of his children, and of his faithful and loving wife until her death at the age of 85 years in 1909. He had performed a worthy part as one of the builders of Wabasha County, and as such will long be remembered. Mr. and Mrs. Patrick McDonough were the parents of twelve children: Patrick, John, Bridget, Bartley, Daniel, Maria, Anna, Thomas, Coleman C., Andrew, Julia and James. James died in infancy, and Patrick, Bridget, Maria and Anna are also deceased. John and Coleman C. are residents of Kellogg; Bartley resides in the state of Washington; Daniel in Alberta, Canada; Thomas and Andrew in Highland Township, this county; and Julia is the wife of William Keating, of Lodora, Idaho.
Contact Fellow Genealogist: Ken
Contact Fellow Genealogist: Maripat
McDonough, Thomas E.
McDowell, Herman J.
McGrath, John (page 555), proprietor of a good farm of 80 acres located in sections 24 and 25, Oakwood Township, was born in this township, October 5, 1855, son of Michael and Ellen (Nolan) McGrath, who had settled in this township about six years before his birth. He was reared on the home farm and in his boyhood attended the rural schools. After remaining home until arriving at the age of 21, he went to Walsh County, North Dakota, where he resided for five years. On his return he bought his present farm, on which he erected buildings which were subsequently destroyed by fire. He has replace them by another set, bringing his farm into good condition, and as a general farmer is successfully raising grain and stock. Mr. McGrath was married March 7, 1905, to Bridget Ryan, and he and his wife have been the parents of six children: John Joseph, Zita Marie, Mary Rose, Ellen Honora, William Anthony, and Michael Aloysius, the last mentioned being now deceased. Mr. McGrath and his family are members of the Catholic church, and he belongs also to the Knights of Columbus.
McGrath, Michael J. (page 555), one of the pioneers of Oakwood Township, was a native of Ireland who came to the United States about 1856, locating in the Lake Superior mining district, where for a short time he worked in the mines. He was there married to Ellen Nolan, also a native of Ireland, who had come to this country about the same time as himself. In 1857 they came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, taking 160 acres of land in Oakwood Township. After awhile Mr. McGrath bought another tract of 160 acres adjoining his original farm, which gave him a land area of 320 acres. He erected buildings and developed the place and continued general farming there until his death in 1883. His wife survived him until 1904. After the parents' death the property was divided among the children. Of the nine children, there are seven now living: William, Mary, John, Patrick H., Margaret, Michael, and James. The two deceased are Matthew and Johanna, both of whom died young. Mary is now the wife of Mike Hollihan, and Margaret the wife of James Murray.
McGuigan, James (page 364), formerly a farmer in Oakwood Township, and later a well known merchant in Millville, was born at Shullsburg, Wis., son of Patrick and Sarah McGuigan, who were natives of Ireland, which country the mother left when nine years old. They were married at Galena, Ill., and came to Wabasha County, Minn., in 1856, settling on 160 acres of land in Oakwood Township, which they later homesteaded, and where Patrick McGuigan died in 1886. James was reared on that farm, on which he worked until his marriage, when his father bought him an 80-acre farm. His wife, Julia Lynch McGuigan, was born near Milwaukee, Wis. They resided on the farm until 1882, but in 1880 he, with his brother, J. F. McGuigan, started a store in Millville, of which he was one of the proprietors until his death in 1893. His wife survived him until February, 1917. They had seven children, all of whom are now living: Mary, wife of William Kiley of Millville; Thomas W., a merchant of Millville; Clara, wife of Casper Verhalen of Milwaukee; Ellen, wife of P. J. Cosgrove, a banker of Millville; Sarah, wife of William Keough; Francis, manager of his brother Thomas' store in Millville; and Joseph, who was in the U. S. Service during the recent war with Germany, having the rank of second lieutenant, and being stationed at Washington, D. C., and who is now in the employ of the United States shipping board.
McGuigan, Thomas W. (page 365), a prosperous merchant and representative citizen of Millville, was born in Oakwood Township, April 12, 1872, son of James and Julia (Lynch) McQuigan. He acquired a good education, attending first the district school, then the Lake City high school, and subsequently the Winona normal school. He then became a teacher, which occupation he followed until the death of his father in 1893, when he took charge of the latter's store. One year later, on May 1, 1894, he sold a half interest to his uncle, and on May 1, 1895, he started a general store on his own account, which he still continues to operate. By close attention to business, honest dealing, and courteous attention to customers, he has built up an excellent trade. In 1894 he began to buy grain in Millville and for 25 years was proprietor of an elevator, which, however, he sold to the Co-operative Grain and Shipping Association in July, 1919. He has done his part in promoting the interests of the village and for four years served as village treasurer. He is a member of the Catholic church, the Knights of Columbus, Red Men and Woodmen, and is a man who has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
Maas, Joseph (page 717), who is taking part in the agricultural development of Zumbro Township, as owner and operator of the old Maas farm in sections 23 and 26, was born in this township December 13, 1863, son of Joseph, Sr., and Mary (Meyer) Maas. The parents, who were natives of Mecklenberg, Germany, were early settlers in this county. Coming to the United States ion 1857 they located first in Milwaukee, where Joseph Maas, St., did various work, including railroading, driving a dray, and farming. In 1862 he came with his family to Zumbro Township, Wabasha County, Minn., and bought a tract of 70 acres, of which 30 were in section 23 and 40 in section 26. The property being unimproved, he was obliged to erect a log house. Later he bought 200 acres more in sections 23 and 26, making a total of 270 acres, a part of which land he cleared. Her he was engaged in general farming until his death on October 7, 1903. His wife, who survived him, passed away May 5, 1920. They had three children, Mary and John, who are now deceased, and Joseph, the subject of this sketch. Joseph Maas acquired his education in the district school. He subsequently worked for his father until 1899, and on the latter's death inherited the home farm, which he has since carried on successfully. He has also improved the property by the erection of a new set of buildings. The only living member of one of the pioneer families of the county, he is well known and enjoys personal popularity. For two years he served as chairman of the Zumbro town board. In religion he is a Lutheran, like his parents. Mr. Maas was married December 13, 1896, to Agnes Neumann, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Neumann, and of this union the following named children have been born: Albert O., January 10 1898; Agnes, July 9, 1899; Joseph, November 26, 1900; Bertha, July 18, 1902; Lydia, June 11, 1904; John, August 21, 1906; Theodore Herbert, August 22, 1907; Gertrude, July 12, 1908; Walter, March 7, 1910, and Evelyn, January 16, 1913. Agnes is now the wife of Harry Keopsell, Joseph resides in Chicago, and Bertha is in the employ of the Watkins Medical Co. of Winona. The others are residing at home. Mr. and Mrs. August Neumann, the parents of Mrs. Maas, were born in Germany and came to Minnesota in 1884, settling in Oakwood Township, Wabasha County. Until 1892 Mr. Neumann worked as a stoned mason. After that he operated a farm until 1904, when his active career was brought to an end by a stroke of paralysis, though he is still living. Mrs. Neumann died April 15, 1903. She, like her husband, was a member of the Lutheran church. They were the parents of eight children: Paul, Annie, Agnes, Minnie, Martha, August, Bertha and Frederick. Paul and Annie are now deceased.
Maas, Theodore (page 520), president of the Bank of Mazeppa, and also engaged in the lumber business to this village, was born in Pine Island Township, Goodhue County, Minn., in 1863, son of William F. F. And Johanna (Ninmann) Mass. The parents were natives of Prussia, Germany. The father, a cabinet maker by trade, came to the United States at the age of 29 years, locating at Watertown, Wis., where he followed his trade, and was married. His wife had come to this country at the age of 14 years with her parents. William Mass now entered the employ of Knapp-Stout & Co., then a large and well known lumber firm, but after working for them a while came to Minnesota and took a pre-emption claim near Forest Mills. Not long after he traded his farm for property at Pine Island and went back to work for Knapp-Stout & Co. After being away for a time in their employ, he returned to Pine Island and traded his property there for a farm four miles southwest of Mazeppa, where he and his wife made their permanent home. William Mass died in 1892 and his wife in 1911. They had four children, three of whom are now living, namely, C. F. A., Theodore, and Sarah, the last mentioned being the wife of W. G. Kingsford, of St. Paul. Robert, the eldest, died in 1877. Theodore Mass was reared on his parents' farm, acquiring his education in the district school, and he subsequently continued on the farm until he came to Mazeppa in 1891 and began his business career as clerk in the general store of E. L. Ford & Co. In this position he remained for one year and while thus engaged kept his eyes open and on the lookout for a good business opportunity. At the end of a year he purchased the P. Robinson elevator, which he subsequently operated for 25 years, buying and selling grain, and conducting a prosperous business. In 1915 Mr. Maas opened a lumber yard at Mazeppa, which he still owns and operates, and in 1916 he sold the elevator to C. P. Engelhart. For nearly thirty years he has been one of the leading business men of the village. He has an active and beneficial part in local affairs, and his fellow citizens have been accustomed to count upon his aid and influence in the working out of plans for the public good. Mr. Maas was first married in 1802 to Mamie Newhouse of Pine Island, Goodhue County, Minn., daughter of George H. and Marian (Tupper) Newhouse. The fruit of this marriage was two sons, Lloyd and Vern, the former being now a dentist in Mazeppa, and the latter engaged in railroad work. Both served in the recent war with Germany, enlisting voluntarily. Their service was confined to this country, Lloyd's being with the Dental Reserve Corps, and Vern's with the Second Engineers and later with the Eighth Mounted Engineers, covering a period of two years and four months. Mrs. Mamie Mass, the mother of these two sons, died in 1912, and Mr. Maas subsequently married Mrs. Anna C. (Evertz) Baustert, the widow of Henry Baustert. William G. Baustert, during the recent war, enlisted in the U. S. army as a member of the Second Engineers and served 21 months in France, being gassed at Belleau Wood. He is now attending the University of Minnesota. The daughter Marjory is residing at home.
War of 1812
Mack, George W., (page 660), early settler of Olmsted County, and veteran of the Civil War, was born in Connecticut in 1839, son of Orilana Mack, a veteran of the war of 1812, grandson of John Mack, a veteran of the Revolutionary War, and descended from John Mack and Dr. David Fuller, who came over in the Mayflower in 1620. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm near Norwich, Conn., and came to Minnesota in 1859, locating in Olmsted County. On October 12, 1861, he enlisted in Company G. Third Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. After that regiment was captured by General Forrest and paroled, it did valiant service against the Indians on our western frontier. After receiving his honorable discharge September 2, 1865, Mr. Mack returned to his Olmsted County farm, and there remained until 1871. He then removed to Swift County, this state, where he died May 29, 1872. He was a Republican in politics, and his fraternal associations were with the Odd Fellows of Rochester. George W. Mack was married January 10, 1870, to Margaret E. Utter, born in New York state, daughter of Alex M. and Alida M. (Putnam) Utter. This union resulted in one son, Will G. Mack, editor of the Plainview News. Mrs. Mack died September 22, 1887.
Mack, Will G., (page 661), editor of the Plainview News, is a splendid example of the modern small city newspaper man. An adept in thoroughly modern journalism, and an expert in up-to-date business methods, he produces a newsy, influential paper, and maintains a printing office that is a model of business efficiency. A native of this region, he is thoroughly conversant with the needs of the community, and the characteristics of its citizens, which gives to his paper a neighborly tone not often found in such a sheet. The news he records is that of the people with whom he has spent the greater part of his life, the successes he heralds are those of people with whom he has been associated from youth, the deaths and misfortunes he transcribes are those of friends who have been near to him since boyhood, and his paper is thus a family journal in a much deeper sense than a newspaper usually attains. While conservative in judgment, Mr. Mack is the friend of every move that has for its object the betterment of the community, and his personal work and the influence of his paper has been an important factor in many of the improvements that have enhanced the value of property, and made the vicinity a more desirable place in which to live. Will G. Mack was born in Quincy Township, Olmsted County, Minn., February 17, 1871, son of George W. and Margaret E. (Utter) Mack. He lost his father when but a little over one year old. At the age of 12 he started his career by securing work in a hotel, where he worked for his board and clothes while attending school. For a time thereafter he worked as a cattle ranchman. In 1888 he entered the field of journalism and printing in the employ of Toland & McCune of Benson. He came to Plainview in 1892 and entered the employ of the Plainview News. In 1899 he and W. J. Walton started the Plainview Record, issuing the first number September 23, 1899. In 1902 Mr. Mack bought out his partner and became the sole owner. In 1903, after the Plainview News had been burned out, the two papers were consolidated and Mr. Mack became the sole owner and proprietor. In 1912, he erected the present sightly and convenient office and printing plant. Mr. Mack is prominent in Masonry, being a member of Illustrious Lodge, No. 63, A. F. & A. M., Plainview; Winona Consistory, No. 4, S. R. M., and Osmund Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is also a member of the Modern Woodmen, the Independent Order of Foresters and Odd Fellows. In politics he is a staunch Republican. On June 28, 1893, Mr. Mack married Maude E. Marshall, daughter of Joseph W. and Elizabeth (Cram) Marshall, and this union has been blessed with three children: Glenn Ira, born October 14, 1894; Robert Joe, born September 25, 1896, and Margaret Elizabeth, born January 8, 1901. Robert J. Mack enlisted in the navy April 27, 1917, and was sent to the Great Lakes Naval Training Station. He was transferred to the S. S. Charleston, doing convoy duty, then transport duty. In July, 1919, he re-enlisted for two years and is now serving on the Pacific coast as a first class seaman and gunner's mate. Glenn Mack went into service September 3, 1919, and remained at Camp Grant until being discharged November 30, 1919.
Mahoney, Cornelius C. (page 609), a well-to-do farmer of Watopa Township, residing in section 11, on a farm established at an early date by his parents, was born on this farm May 15, 1878, son of Cornelius and Mary (Ryan) Mahoney. The parents were natives of Ireland, coming from the northern part, and on emigrating to the United States, they stopped first at Dubuque, Iowa, where the father found employment for awhile. On coming to Minnesota soon after, they located first at Wabasha, and then, before the construction of the railroad, moved to Watopa Township, buying 60 acres of land in section 11, on which the subject of this sketch now resides. Here they carried on general farming during their remaining years of activity, the father dying in 1904 and the mother December 19, 1916. He had served as school trustee and taken an active and worthy part in the development of his township. There were seven children born to him and his wife, of whom five are now living: Mollie, who is a widow; Anna, who married Michael Maloney of Wabasha; Maggie, wife of Thomas Kent, a farmer of Highland Township; Nora, wife of Will Krause, a farmer of Greenfield Township, and Cornelius C., Nellie and John are deceased. Cornelius C. Mahoney acquired his education in the district school. He was reared on the home, on which he has always lived, and which he purchased after the death of his mother. It now contains 240 acres, and has a fertile soil, being also well supplied with substantial buildings and mechanical equipment, and Mr. Mahoney, as a practical farmer of long experience, is making it pay. He follows diversified farming and stock raising, keeping Durham cattle and Poland-China swine. For 13 years he served as township clerk, and is a member of the school board of his district. His fraternal affiliations are with the Modern Woodmen and the Knights of Columbus, and he is a member of the Catholic church. On April 16, 1912, he was united in marriage with Nellie Leamy, daughter of John and Katherine Leamy, natives of Ireland and early settlers in this county. Both her parents are now deceased, Mrs. Leamy having died in 1905 and Mr. Leamy in 1909. Of their fourteen children twelve are now living, six sons and six daughters: Mary, wife of John Holland of Watopa Township; Katie, wife of R. C. Bamberry of St. Paul; Annie, wife of M. K. Bamberry of St. Paul; Maggie, wife of Thomas Pflang of St. Paul; Nora, who is the widow of John Mahoney and lives in Monticello, Minn.; Nellie, now Mrs. C. C. Mahoney; Thomas, a farmer in Watopa Township; John in Wabasha; and James, Michael, William and Joseph, who reside in St. Paul. Mr. and Mrs. Cornelius C. Mahoney are the parents of four children: Mary Helen, Cornelius Charles, Jr., Katherine Margaret and Rose Ileen.
Majerus, Nicholas J. (page 508), a Minnesota pioneer and Civil War and Indian War veteran, residing in Mazeppa, was born in Luxembourg, September 29, 1839, son of John and Anna Majerus. The parents, who were natives of Holland, came to the United States in 1847, locating in the town of Sheldon, Wyoming County, N. Y., where until 1865 they were engaged in farming. They then came to Wabasha County, Minn., buying 160 acres of land in Chester Township, on which tract stood a small house and a straw barn. There they made their home and in time developed the place into a good farm. Mrs. Anna Majerus died in 1880, and John Majerus in 1888. They had a family of six children, five sons and one daughter. Those living are Nicholas and John N., both residing in Mazeppa. The deceased are Carlos, Peter, Anna, and one who died in infancy. Nicholas J. Majerus was a boy of eight years when he arrived in New York with his parents. He was reared on their farm in Wyoming county, that state, and remained there until 1860, when he was 21 years old, when he went to Michigan. In the fall of that year he cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln. After a short stay in Michigan, he came west to Minnesota, locating at Red Wing. This was in 1861, about the time of the breaking out of the Civil War. On August 16, 1862, Mr. Majerus enlisted in Company G, Seventh Minnesota Infantry, under Captain Williston. For fourteen months the regiment was employed in fighting the Indians, and saw some lively skirmishing, taking part in the actions at Birch Cooley and Wood Lake. In October, 1863, it joined the Army of the Tennessee, and was active in several hard fought battles, including those of Tupelo, Minn. (Three days), Tallahatchie, Nashville and the Mobile Forts. It was also engaged in the pursuit of Price through Arkansas to Sedalia, Mo., besides taking part in many skirmishes. At the battle of Nashville Mr. Majerus was wounded, and on August 16, 1865, he received an honorable discharge at Ft. Snelling, Minn. While in the army he had bought 80 acres of land in Belvidere, Goodhue County, but sold this on his discharge, and bought a quarter section in Chester, on which he lived four years. In 1873, after a residence of a year and a half in Lake City, he came to Mazeppa, and in the same year bought a building on the corner of First and Walnut streets, where he engaged in general mercantile business, including the sale of liquors. He carried on that business for a number of years, and became prosperous, acquiring a considerable amount of residence and other property, buying and selling real estate as he saw a good opportunity. He erected the first brick building in town, and at one time owned a good share of the village. About 1904 he retired, and has since led a life of ease and leisure, known by everybody and one of the popular citizens of the village. For fifty years Mr. Majerus has been a member of the Masonic order. A number of years ago he also joined the Odd Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic, and is now commander of Post No. 150, G. A. R., a Post which death had reduced in membership to four individuals. He has always been a Republican in politics. Mr. Majerus was married, at Bellchester, November 3, 1869, to Anna K. Groff, who, like himself, was a native of Luxembourg, where her parents died when she was ten years old. She was 18 when she came to this country, settling in Goodhue county, Minn. Mr. and Mrs. Majerus had four children: Clara, wife of William Smitsen, connected with the old National Bank, at Spokane, Wash., of which he is vice president; Mary, wife of Floyd Kingsley, a druggist of Mazeppa; Justine, residing at home; and Laura, wife of George Searles, a real estate man of Mazeppa. Mrs. Anna K. Majerus died January 1, 1912, and the household affairs are presided over by the daughter Justine.
Maiwald, Henry C.
Manchester, Monroe J.
Mancilman, Charles H.
Markus, Matthias (page 612), who for 30 years was engaged in farm development in Highland Township, but is now deceased, was a native of Luxemburg, and came to this county about 1875. Settling directly in Highland Township, he took land which was little or not at all developed, and spent the next and last thirty years of his life in its improvement, transforming it finally into a good farm. He died May 17, 1905. Mr. Markus married Christine Youck, who was born in Switzerland in 1865, and had come to America with her brother. They had a family of eight children: Peter L., now a merchant at Dumfries, in Glasgow Township; Lena, wife of John Cook, a farmer of Plainview Township; Gerrett, who is residing on the old home farm in Highland township; Anna, unmarried, also living on the home farm; Margaret, now Mrs. Irvin Dietrich of Watopa Township; George and Joseph, both on the home farm; and Doris, who is a stenographer for the Goodrich Rubber Co., at St. Paul, Minn.
Markus, Peter L. (page 613), a member of the mercantile form of Hager & Markus, having a store at Dumfries, Glasgow Township, was born in Highland Township, Wabasha County, January 9, 1883, son of Mattias and Christine (Youck) Markus. He acquired his education in the district school and was brought up to farm life and labor, remaining on the home farm until the fall of 1909. In 1910 he went to Montana, where he homesteaded 160 acres of land near Glasgow, Valley County, which property he still owns. In 1912 he returned to Wabasha County and for one year operated a farm which was located near the old home farm. His present business was entered into in the fall of 1813, when he bought a half interest in the mercantile concern of Hager & Stamachror, of Dumfries, which thereupon became Hager & Markus. The firm keeps a large assortment of general merchandise and is liberally patronized by the people of the surrounding territory. Mr. Markus was married June 4, 1913, to Theresa Schmidt, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Bernard Schmidt of Glasgow Township. Of this union three children have been born: Vera, August 9, 1915, who died July 24, 1918; Floyd, born February 3, 1917; and Wilfred, April 5, 1920. Mr. Markus and his family are members off the Catholic church. Politically he is a Republican.
Markwardt, Fred H. (page 483), a prosperous farmer and stock raiser of Plainview Township, was born in Germany, November 2, 1864, son of Fred and Caroline (Schroeder) Markwardt. The father, a laborer by occupation, died in Germany in 1870, having survived his wife about a year. Fred H. Markwardt was educated in his native land and was subsequently engaged in farming there until he came to America in 1889. Locating first in Winona County, Minnesota, he worked out on farms for four years, after which for nine years he operated a rented farm on his own account. Having by that time made some financial progress, he bought his present farm of 100 acres in sections 2 and 3, Plainview Township, Wabasha County, the residence standing in section 3. He has remodeled the buildings, erected fences and made general improvements, and is successfully engaged in mixed farming. As a stock raiser he is breeding into Durham cattle, and also raises Duroc-Jersey hogs and Percheron horses. Politically he is a Republican, and religiously a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Markwardt was married March 29, 1894, to Martha Michael, of Olmsted County, who was born near Lewiston in Winona County January 17, 1876. He and his wife are the parents of four children, born as follows: Anna, September 29, 1895; Arthur, March 23, 1901; Emma, January 7, 1903; and Walter, February 28, 1915. All are residing at home.
Marshall, Joseph W.
Marshman, Henry C. (page 543), proprietor of one of the finest farms in Plainview Township, if not in the county, which he has developed within the last 16 or 17 years, was born in Washington County, Wis., June 11, 1869, son of Henry and Lottie (Crow) Marshman. The parents were natives of Germany who came to this country about 1845, and spent the rest of their lives farming in Washington County, Wis., where they died. Their son, Henry C., attended school in his home locality, and remained with his parents until 18 years old. His ambition then prompted him to strike out on his own account, and he came to Winona County, Minn., where he worked three years, practicing economy and saving his money. At the end of that time he rented a farm in Elba Township, Winona County, which he operated two years. About 1883 he came to Plainview Township, Wabasha County, and for 20 years thereafter was engaged in operating rented farms. During that period he made steady progress and his bank account gradually increased. By 1903 he was able to buy a good farm, and accordingly purchased the one on which he is now residing, or rather, 240 acres of it, located in section 35. He has since increased its area to 320 acres. His improvements have added considerably to the value of the property, as he has remodeled the house and erected a fine barn and outbuildings. As a breeder of Durham cattle, Poland-China swine and Percheron horses, he has achieved good success, and in addition raises large quantities of grain and other farm products, for all of which, in the present state of the market, he receives good prices. He is a member of the co-operative creamery Association of Plainview, and is a school director of District No. 62. Politically hi is a Republican. Mr. Marshman has practically retired from his labors, having turned the farm over to his sons, who are operating it under his supervision. Mr. Marshman was married October 11, 1860, to Amelia Nienow, of Elba, Minn., who was born September 27, 1860. Five children are the issue of this marriage, namely: Mary, born April 11, 1882; Clara, June 11, 1883; Alice, November 17, 1889; Roy, December 2, 1892; and Herbert, February 20, 1895. Mary is the wife of Eugene Holdridge of Quincy Township, Olmsted County, and has one child, Eunice. Alice is now Mrs. Charles Amos of Little Valley, Quincy Township, Olmsted County, and has two children, Rosemond and Paul. Clara graduated from the Winona General Hospital December 29, 1917, and is now a trained nurse. Roy and Herbert are residing on the home farm. The Marshman family are members of the Lutheran church.
Martin, James P.
Martin, John S.
Meincke, Adolph (page 447), who owns and operates a fine 200-acre farm in section 19, Mt. Pleasant Township, which was a part of his parents' estate, was born in Florence Township, Goodhue County, Minn., June 6, 1881, son of Henry and Anna Meincke. The parents came to this country from Germany at an early day, and in 1889 they settled with their family in section 19, Mt. Pleasant Township, this county, Adolph being then about eight years old. He attended common or district school up to the age of 15, but had to work hard on the farm, following the drag when only nine years old. The father accumulated 600 acres of land all in one tract in Mt. Pleasant Township, which he divided among his three sons, Adolph getting the original home farm of 200 acres. Both his parents died on the farm, the mother being the first to depart, in 1905, and the father, Henry Meincke, on July 15, 1919. The buildings on the place are well constructed and include a good two-story, ten-room frame house; a frame barn, 36 by 60 feet in size, with an 8-foot full basement and cement floors, with steel stanchions for cattle and running water; a granary with elevator 20 by 30 by 18; poultry house 16 by 30 by 10; corn house and garage 20 by 30 by 10; calf barn 20 by 28; machine shed 24 by 32 by 18; ice house, woodshed, summer kitchen and steel windmill. Mr. Meincke has 180 acres of his land under the plow; it is very fertile and produces good crops. His cattle are high grade Shorthorns and Jerseys and pure-blooded Herefords, all of which he raises on a profitable basis, as well as mixed grades of hogs. He has a good modern operating equipment and also owns a Hudson touring car. A hard worker, he has been very successful and has a beautiful home with fine surroundings. Mr. Meincke was married August 15, 1904, to Mary Catherine Tiedemann, who was born in Mt. Pleasant Township, September 11, 1882, daughter of Henry and Catherine Tiedemann. They have two children: Aranda Henrietta, born March 6, 1905, now a student in the Lake City high school; and Loraine Geraldine, born December 29, 1906, who is also attending the high school. The family are members of the Belvidere congregation of the Lutheran church. Politically Mr. Meincke is a Republican.
Meincke, George J. (page 449), a practical and successful farmer of Mt. Pleasant Township, residing in section 30, was born in West Florence Township, Goodhue County, Minn., September 1, 1876, son of Henry and Anna (Tomforde) Meincke. He attended school in his native county and also in Mt. Pleasant Township, Wabasha County, coming here with his parents in 1891. For a number of years he was associated with his father in the development of the farm on which he now resides, and of which he is the present owner. It has an area of 240 acres, all in section 30, and all productive land, of which 200 acres are under the plow. Mr. Meincke is operating it as a grain and stock farm, keeping Hereford cattle, of which he has from 40 to 50 head, with about the same number of swine. He milks on an average of seven cows and is a patron of the Belvidere creamery. His buildings, all good and substantial, include a two-story, ten-room, frame-house, gas-lighted; a frame barn 32 by 74 by 16 feet, with an 8-foot stone basement; a granary and elevator 28 by 40 by 12, together with (several words are missing here) and wash house. The farm is beautifully situated and is about ten miles from Lake City, while the operating equipment, besides the usual machinery, all of modern type, includes a fine Hudson auto car. Mr. Meincke was married November 11, 1903, to Emma Miller, who was born August 3, 1876, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Miller, of Hay Creek Township, Goodhue County. He and his wife are the parents of two children: Maynard J., born October 30, 1904; and Harry H., born June 14, 1909. The family are members of the Lutheran church at Belvidere. Politically Mr. Meincke is a Republican.
Meincke, Henry (page 447), who was for a number of years and up to the time of his death, a prominent and respected citizen and land owner of Mt. Pleasant Township, was born in Hanover, Germany, where he grew to manhood and followed the occupation of a laborer. He was married in his native land to Anna Tomforde, and after the birth of their first child, Margaret, they decided to try their fortunes in the United States, to which country they came in 1870. They settled first in Goodhue County, Minnesota, but after a while moved to mt. Pleasant Township, Wabasha county, where Mr. Meincke engaged in farming, and, as he had some means to begin with, he found little difficulty in making progress, the more so as he was not a man to shun hard work. So well did he get along that in time he found himself the owner of 600 acres of land in the township, which in 1909 he divided among his sons. He was a man of strong and rugged physique, and as a citizen was useful and respected. He died July 15, 1919, having been a widower for somewhat over 14 years, as his wife passed away June 15, 1905. They had in all seven children. The first, Margaret, who, as already mentioned, was born in Germany, is now the widow of Fred Dose, and resides in Lake City. The other children, all born in this country, and all now living, are: Emma, now Mrs. John Brinkman of Zumbrota, Goodhue County, Minn.; Henry John, a prosperous farmer of Mt. Pleasant Township; Elizabeth, wife of John Vollmer, of Lake City; George, a farmer in mr. Pleasant Township; Adolph, who is farming in the same township; and Freda, now Mrs. Herman Nibbe, of Gilford Township.
Meincke, Henry J. (page 684), proprietor of two excellent farms in Mr. Pleasant Township, but who has recently retired and is now residing in Lake City, was born at West Florence, Goodhue County, Minn., November 9, 1872, son of Henry and Anna (Tomforde) Meincke. Accompanying his parents to Mt. Pleasant Township when young, he was educated in the common schools, and until he was 22 remained on the home farm working with his father. On May 24, 1894, he married Margaret E. Hoeft, daughter of John and Wilhelmina Hoeft, who resided on an adjoining farm., and they began housekeeping on the farm in section 29, where until recently they resided. This farm contains 160 acres and is provided with a good two-story frame house, lighted with gas, and standing in a beautiful yard shaded with large trees and surrounded with a fine hedge. There is also an adequate set of outbuildings, including a frame barn 38 by 70 by 16 feet in size, with a 9-foot stone basement and cement floor, and provided with steel stanchions; a granary 22 by 34 by 12; a corn crib and shed 24 by 30 by 12; a sheep barn 32 by 40 by 14; a calf barn of two stories 12 by 28; besides a poultry house, wash house, stave silo and steel windmill. In section 30 Mr. Meincke has another good farm of 240 acres, on which is a comfortable frame house, a new frame barn 44 by 72 by 14 feet, with full basement, and other substantial buildings. Both farms are highly cultivated, all the land being under the plow except about 20 acres. They are well stocked with from 35 to 50 head of high grade of Shorthorn cattle, and from 40 to 50 Duroc-Jersey hogs, the herds having full blooded sires. There is also a good flock of sheep. Mr. Meincke carried on general farming and stock raising very successfully, and was numbered among the leading farmers of his township, which he served several years on the board of supervisors. Politically he is a Republican, but exercises judgment in casting his vote, placing the man before the party. In the spring of 1920 he retired from active work, leasing his farm to his son, Henry G., and took up his residence in Lake City, buying a fine modern home at No. 304 South Oak street, where he now lives. He and his wife are the parents of six children: Laura Henrietta, born March 19, 1895; John Alfred Frederick, December 8, 1896; Henry George Emil, February 12, 1899; Arthur Adolph, January 7, 1903; Wilhelmina Anna, August 2, 1906; and Ralph Frederick, January 26, 1919. Laura Henrietta is now Mrs. Frank Furst of Mt. Pleasant Township, her marriage having taken place July 26, 1916. John Alfred Frederick, who is a farmer in Mr. Pleasant Township, was married May 30, 1918, to Geraldine Meyer, and has one child, Robert John, born July 17, 1919. Henry George Emil, who attended the Lake City High School, and was later graduated from the Minnesota Agricultural College. Wilhelmina Anna is a freshman in the Lake City High School. The religious affiliations of the family are with the Belvidere congregation of the Lutheran church.
Melendy, Denison S.
Melendy, Marcus D.
Melvin, George P. (page 776), who has earned a position among the active and successful farmers of Oakwood Township, was born in Plainview Township, Wabasha County, Minn., October 31, 1889, son of Patrick and Louise (Mulcahay) Melvin. He was educated in the Plainview schools and became his father's assistant on the parental farm, where he resided until 1910. His father then gave him 160 acres of land, on which were some small and plain buildings, and here he began farming on his own account. Of an enterprising disposition, he has spent both time and money in improving his place, among his first acts being the remodeling of the house and barn. In 1920, his buildings still being inadequate, he built a new barn, 36 by 72 feet, with a concrete basement and modern equipment, and is following general farming, including stock raising and dairying, with much success, keeping Durham cattle, of which breed he has 14 cows, and Chester-White hogs. Mr. Melvin was married in 1910 at Plainview, Minn., to Bertha Guessner, daughter of John and Theresa (Noll) Guessner, who were early settlers in Wabasha County, and farmers by occupation. Her father is now deceased, but her mother is still living, being a resident of Plainview. Mr. And Mrs. Melvin have two children, Winnifred and Martin, both of whom are living at home. The family are members of the Catholic church.
Melvin, Patrick (page 293), a well to do resident of the village of Plainview, where he and his wife are enjoying a well earned leisure after many years spent in agricultural activities, was born in Canada, February 7, 1856, son of Edward and Margaret (Welch) Melvin. The parents were born and married in Ireland, later emigrated to Canada, and came from the latter country to the United States in 1870, settling in Plainview Township, Wabasha County, Minn., where they spent the rest of their lives in farming. Edward Melvin died in 1880 and his wife in 1902. Patrick Melvin first attended school in Canada, but completed his educational studies in Wabasha County. After remaining with his parents until he was 19 years old, he started out in the world for himself, and for seven winters was employed in the Wisconsin timber lands at lumbering, working as a farm hand in the summers. During this period he was carefully saving his money with an eye to the future. In 1883 he bought 80 acres of land in Plainview Township, and set to work with a strong heart and will to carve out his fortune. In 1887 he added 80 acres in Elgin Township. Still later, he bought another 80-acre tract, adjoining the home farm, these combined purchases giving him 480 acres of land in all. His agricultural operations were conducted with vigor and good judgment and had profitable results. He took a prominent part in the development of the crop and stock raising industries of his township, also took a helpful part in the general affairs of the community, and was a man highly respected and esteemed by his neighbors. In the spring of 1919 Mr. Melvin gave up the farm, and, leaving his sons to run it, retired to Plainview, where he purchased his present home, a nice, modern bungalow, where he and his wife are spending the afternoon of life in quiet and happiness. Mr. Melvin was married April 6, 1886, to Louise Mulcahy, who was born March 10, 1862, in Galena, Ill., daughter of Richard and Catherine (Swift) Mulcahy. The children born of this union are as follows: Eddie, who died February 20, 1887; George, born October 30, 1887, who married Bertha Gessner, and is now a farmer in Oakwood Township; Frank, born October 8, 1889; Harry, born January 8, 1892, who married Grace McGrath; Josephine Celeste, born May 6, 1894, who married Edward Schad; Charles E. born July 18, 1896; Arthur Joseph, born August 14, 1898; and Angela Marie, born October 14, 1900. Mr. Melvin and his family are members of the Catholic church.
Meyer, Baltz (page 563), a pioneer of Wabasha County, now deceased, was a native of Germany, where he spent his early years, and on beginning industrial life worked for six dollars, one pair of wooden shoes and one suit of overalls as yearly salary. How he accumulated sufficient money to pay his expenses to the United States is a matter for conjecture, but in some way he got here, landing in New York with two dollars in his pocket. This was not a very munificent sum for a young man to begin life with in a strange country, and speaking a foreign language, but in some way he got along and in course of time married, for a while making his home in Columbus, Ohio. In 1857 he came farther west, locating on a 40-acre farm near Dubuque, Iowa. It was not a desirable location, as the soil was full of stones and rocks, but he remained there six or seven years, at the end of which time he sold out and came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, buying 120 acres of wild grub land in Pepin Township, 40 or which were located in section 20 and 80 in section 29. There was a small log house and a shack for a barn. He and his wife, Mary Catherine, had then three children; William, John F., and Mary, who soon learned to make themselves useful, the two sons breaking the land with an ox team, John F. and William driving, while the father held the plow. Many acres were thus broken, and after two years the log house was replaced by a better structure, and other buildings erected. Other land was also purchased and developed, including the Matt Koenig farm of 122 acres in section 29, which was purchased in 1872. Mr. And Mrs. Meyer resided on the home place until their death, Mrs. Meyer passing away on February 19, 1888, and Mr. Meyer March 14, 1900. They were worthy people and highly respected. Their two sons are both farming in Pepin Township on different parts of the family estate, William in section 20 and John F. in section 29. The daughter Mary married Bernard Henry Welp and settled near the old home. Her husband died at the age of 25, leaving her with five children, and she has since developed the farm and kept her family together.
Meyer, Carsten (page 458), who was for a number of years a well known and respected resident of Gillford Township, was a native of Germany, where he learned the carpenter's trade and was married to Anna Martens. About 1885 he came with his family to Wabasha County, Minn., and settled on a farm in Gillford Township, on which he erected the buildings. As his sons and daughters were mostly grown up and were strong and sturdy, he left them to work the farm while he followed his trade. He was himself a man of exceptional size, being six feet four inches in height, and powerful in proportion. He spent 28 years on the farm, dying February 13, 1911. His wife survived him a few years, passing away in March, 1913. Their children, ten in number, were: Carsten, now living in Lake City; Henry A., of Mt. Pleasant Township; Claus of Lake City; Mary, wife of Peter Hoeft; Catherine, wife of William Kohrs of Gillford Township, now dead; Anna, now Mrs. Kriett of Lake City; Margaret, wife of Max Wimmer of Gillford Township; Alice, who is Mrs. Carsten Reckmann, Ellen, who is the wife of Henry Bennett of Goodhue County and John of Mt. Pleasant Township.
Meyer, Charles (page 701), a prosperous young farmer of Gillford Township, who saw service at the front in the World War, was born in this township, June 2, 1892, son of Hans and Margaret (Volers) Meyer. The parents were born and married in Germany and came to Wabasha county, Minnesota, many years ago. They had three children born in Germany; John, Henry and Claus, and four born in this country; Louis, Charles, Sophia and William. Louis is now in Montana, and Sophia and William on the home farm in Gillford Township. Charles Meyer acquired his education in the common school. He was reared on his parents' farm, which he managed for some years up to 1916, after which he started in on his own account, renting the John Busch farm in Gillford Township. On may 27, 1918, he was drafted into the United States' service, was sent to camp Lewis, Wash., where he trained for four weeks, and was assigned to Company C, 160th Infantry. Then followed four weeks at Camp Kearney, Calif. He left for overseas July 20, and after arriving on the other side was transferred to Co. B, no. 308, 77th Infantry Division. Within two weeks he was on the front in the Argonne, where he served until two days before the signing of the armistice. After spending four weeks in a hospital, he was assigned to service with a casualty company. He left for America March 27, 1919, and on his arrival in this country was sent to Camp Mills, and from there to camp Grant, Illinois, where he was mustered out April 27, and returned home. At liberty to resume agricultural operations, Mr. Meyer bought 173 acres in sections 6 and 7, Gillford Township, the place having an old set of buildings. In 1920 he built a new barn, 38 by 90 feet, with a tile basement of 8 feet and modern equipment, accommodating 50 head of cattle and 10 horses. He is successfully breeding pure blooded Percheron horses, Shorthorn cattle, Poland-China hogs and grade Shropshire sheep, and is a stockholder in the local creamery. The soil on his farm is productive, and with adequate buildings and a good operating equipment, he is making financial progress. Mr. Meyer was married September 24, 1919, to Anna, daughter of Peter and Catherine Luhmann of Gillford Township. He and his wife are members of the Lincoln congregation of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran church. Politically Mr. Meyer is a Republican.
Meyer, John F. (page 564), a retired farmer residing in Wabasha city, comes of an old pioneer family of this county, and has himself contributed to its agricultural development. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, October 26, 1849, son of Baltz and Mary Catherine Meyer. When a boy he accompanied his parents to a farm near Dubuque, Iowa, and in 1864 to Wabasha County, Minnesota, the family settling on a farm in Pepin Township, situated partly in section 20 and partly in section 29. He and his brother William helped their father to develop the home farm. In 1872 the father purchased the Matt Koenig improved farm of 122 acres in section 29, on which was a small log house and a few other buildings. Of this place John F. subsequently became the owner and made some notable improvements on it, building a good frame house, which he remodeled in 1912 into a modern structure of nine rooms. He also built a barn, 36 by 48 by 16 feet, with full basement, together with corn cribs and a blacksmith shop. There he followed general farming until 1911, when he turned the active management of the place over to his son Jacob, but continued to reside thereon until June 26, 1913, at which time he moved to Wabasha city, where he owns a good residence. During his active career he made a reputation as a capable general farmer and was esteemed as a good neighbor and reliable citizen. In the fall of 1919 he sold the farm, the soil of which is productive and produces excellent grain. Mr. Meyer was married, June 2, 1872, to Magdalena Baker, daughter of John and Susan Baker, of Glasgow Township, her parents being farmers in Trout Creek Valley. Mr. And Mrs. Meyer have been the parents of eight children: Henry, born March 23, 1875, who is a farmer at Zumbro Falls, this county; Mary, born October 8, 1876, who is residing at home; Jacob, born September 7, 1878, now living retired in Lake City; Catherine, born May 6, 1881, who married Henry Kramer, of Ledgerwood, N. D., and died September 24, 1911; Margaret, born September 27, 1885, now Mrs. Ray Madden, of St. Paul; Peter, born September 19, 1883, who is a telegraph operator at Hastings, Minn.; Susan, born August 9, 1888, is a reporter in the Leader office at Wabasha; Delia, born April 20, 1892, is the wife of Fred Schmidt, of Lake City. Mrs. John F. Meyer, who is still living, was born in Germany May 1, 1850, and came to the United States with her parents when a young woman. Mr. Meyer is a Democrat in politics, though not a strong party man. He served as treasurer of Pepin Township for a number of years and was for some time a member of the town board. He and his family are members of the Catholic church and of St. Felix parish.
Meyer, Henry A. (page 458), whose work along agricultural lines has raised him to a high place among the prosperous farmers of Mt. Pleasant Township, was born in Hanover, Germany, March 10, 1871, son of Carsten and Anna (Martens) Meyer. He was 14 years old when he accompanied his parents to the United States, and until the age of 26 years he resided on their farm in Gillford Township. In 1895, with his brother Claus, he bought an improved farm of 240 acres in section 34, Mt. Pleasant Township, all the land being under the plow, and the farm having a fair set of buildings. Together they farmed the land until 1908, and having built a good set of buildings on the north half, they divided the farm, the brother, Claus, taking the north half of 120 acres, and Henry A. the south half of the same area. The land is highly cultivated and is productive, and Henry A. Meyer had a herd of 40 to 50 high grade Shorthorn cattle and a herd of 20 to 30 Poland-China swine. He remodeled the frame barn, and it is now equipped in modern style with the James system of steel stanchions, cement floors and gutters, and with water in every stall. There is a 9-foot basement for horses and cattle, a crane manure-carrier and other appliances and the King ventilating system has been installed. There is also a cream separator room. The equipment of tools and machinery is fully adequate and includes an auto car. Through hard work and good management Mr. Meyer made rapid progress and achieved success. He continued actively at work until 1919, when he leased the farm to his son Roy and moved to the Claus Meyer farm. His political principles have been Republican but he is now a member of the Non-Partisan League. On September 26, 1897, Mr. Meyer was married to Margaret, daughter of Henry and Margaret Heitmann of Gillford Township. He and his wife have two children: Roy Carsten, born May 1, 1898, who was married September 12, 1919, to Irene, daughter of Henry and Margaret Bremer of Lake Township; and Elsie A., born March 8, 1901, who is residing at home. The family are members of the Lincoln congregation of the Lutheran church, of which Mr. Meyer is a liberal supporter.
Meyer, William (page 410), residing on a farm in section 20, Pepin Township, which through a long period of years he was engaged in operating, was born in Columbus, Ohio, October 6, 1848, son of Balch and Mary Catherine Meyer. When a boy of nine years he accompanied his parents to a small farm near Dubuque, Iowa, resided there six or seven years, and then came with them to Wabasha County, Minn., settling on a tract of 120 acres of grub land in Pepin Township, 40 acres being in section 20 and 80 acres in section 29. The family made their dwelling in a small log house, and William and his brother, John F., assisted the father in clearing the land, which they did with the help of an ox team. The work was hard and almost constant, and William had but little opportunity to attend school. In time he succeeded to the ownership of the farm, having worked with his father until the latter's death in 1900. He improved and developed it, following agriculture successfully until his retirement in 1920. It is now being operated by his son, John A., who is doing diversified farming and making the place pay, as his father did before him. Mr. Meyer was first married in 1863 to Susan Assal, a native of Germany, who died a number of years later. By her he had three children: William H., born August 20, 1870, now a farmer in Glasgow Township; Frank J., born March 8, 1874, who is a resident of Wabasha City; and Catherine M., born February 4, 1880, who is the wife of Michael Nigon, a farmer living near Rochester, Olmsted County. On August 29, 1881, Mr. Meyer married Mary Zeimetz, of Pepin Township, and of this union six children have been born: Nicholas P., August 5, 1883; John A., November 30, 1885; Thomas T., May 8, 1888; Joseph L., June 28, 1892; Amelia Margaret, May 28, 1895; and Mae Catherine, April 23, 1898. Nicholas P., now a farmer in Pepin Township, married Veronica Schons and has three children; Florence, Marcella and Veronica. John A. is operating the home farm. Thomas T. is a barber in Wabasha, married Jenevieve Meyer, and has two children, Eileen and Eleanor. Joseph L. is a carpenter in Wabasha. Amelia Margaret and Mae Catherine are residing at home. The latter, who graduated from the St. Felix high school and the normal school, is now a teacher. Mr. Meyer is a Democrat in politics, and he and his family are Catholics in religion, being members of St. Felix parish, Wabasha.
Miller, Thomas S.
Millis, Roy E.
Mills, John A.
Mills, Walter N.
Mischke, August (page 346), a farmer in section 36, West Albany Township, who is making good business and financial progress, was born in Schlesien, Germany, April 29, 1861, son of Frank and Mary Mischke. He grew to manhood in his native land, where he was married, May 3, 1892, to Anna Seivert. In the same year he came to Minnesota, and settled at Theilman, Wabasha County, having friends here. For a year after his arrival Mr. Mischke worked out as a farm hand. At the end of that time he took up railroad work, and was for eight years in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway as section hand on the Zumbro branch. He had $1,000 when he came to America, and being industrious and frugal, saved a large part of his earnings, steadily increasing his bank account. In 1901 he gave up railroad work for farming, buying 120 acres in section 36, West Albany Township. The tract was mostly bottom lands and was partly improved, having a fair house and other buildings. In 1906 he bought 80 acres of upland and has worked industriously in improving his place so that he is now well-to-do. He carries on general farming, keeping Red Poll cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs, and improving his stock by the use of full-blooded sires. He is also a stockholder in the Farmers Co-operative Creamery at Theilman. In 1920 Mr. Mischke built a cement block garage at Theilman, 46 by 80 feet, which his sons Frank and Albert are now operating. Mr. Mischke became a fully naturalized American citizen in 1906 and is a Republican in politics, though with independent tendencies. He and his wife have eight children: August, Frank, Mary, Albert, Theresa, Julius, Lena and Paul, all living at home and doing their share in advancing the family fortunes.
Mitchell, Paul L.
Moechnig, John G.
Moechnig, Herman H.
Moody, Lydia D.
Moody, Nathaniel H.
Moore, Thomas J.
Morgan, Henry W.
Morris, John F.
Morris, Edwin D.
Mueller, Rev. Francis X.
Mulcahy, Richard (page 294), for many years a well known resident of the town of Elgin, and for the last five years of his life of the village of that name, was born in Ireland and came to America in the year 1851. In 1856 he was married, in New York City, to Catherine Swift, and they came west to Galena, Ill. Later they removed to Dubuque, Iowa, and in the spring of 1883 came to Minnesota, settling on a farm in Elgin Township. There he resided until his retirement in 1892when he and his wife took up their residence in Plainview, where they had many friends and were highly respected. Mr. Mulcahy had a great liking for children and was familiarly known by many of those in the neighborhood as "Grandpa." His wife, Catherine Swift Mulcahy, more commonly called "Grandma" Mulcahy, died at Millville in 1902. She was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, in October, 1834, and in 1854 came to America, locating in New York, where she married Richard Mulcahy, as above mentioned. She, like her husband, was a faithful member of the Catholic church. Their children were: Richard F., of Plainview; Mrs. E. Melvin and Mrs. P. Melvin, of Plainview; Mrs. J. Nolan, Plainview; John, dead; Richard Mulcahy, of Plainview, and Mrs. T. Shea, of Pipestone, Minn.
Murdoch, John N.
Murdoch, John W.
Murray, Ralph V. (page 246), an energetic and rising young business man of Plainview3, engaged in the hardware business, was born in Watopa Township, this county, July 21, 1895. He acquired his elementary education in the district schools, which he attended until he was 13 years of age, and then entered Plainview high school, where he was graduated in the class of 1915. He then entered the employ of the Plainview Drug Co., with whom he remained until June 5, 1917, when he purchased his present business. He carries a good line of hardware, and also does heating, plumbing and tinning. He has demonstrated his ability both as a merchant and practical craftsman, and is enjoying a good patronage. On July 15, 1918, Mr. Murray enlisted for service at the Dunwoody School, Minneapolis. On September 13, the same year, he was transferred to the Air Service Mechanical School at St. Paul, where he was pursuing his training studies when the armistice was signed. He was discharged January 15, 1919. He is a member of the Masonic order, including the Eastern Star Chapter, also the I.O.O.F. of Plainview. On March 27, 1918, he was united in marriage with Elsie G. Erding, of Plainview, a daughter of Julius J. and Olive (Slawson) Erding.
Mussell, August C.