Nehring, George (p. 692), who owns and until recently operated a farm of 150 acres in section 21, Chester Township, was born in Hanover, Germany, February 21, 1863. He grew to manhood in his native land, where he was married December 22, 1882, to Magdalena Zuhling. In 1905, with his wife and family, he came to America, and to Wabasha County, Minn., settling in Chester Township, where until 1912 he operated different farms. He then bought his farm in section 21, Chester Township, on which he successfully carried on general farming and stock raising until August, 1920. He then rented the farm to a tenant and moved to section 19, where he is now living retired. He is a member of St. John's Lutheran church. Mr. and Mrs. Nehring have had ten children, all of whom were born in Germany, as follows: Henry, November 30, 1883; John, December 30, 1884; Christ, December 26, 1887; George, April 18, 1890, Mary, July 26, 1892; Henry, November 26, 1894; Gesiana, December 13, 1896; Katherine, January 12, 1899; Sophia, June 12, 1902; and Louis, April 13, 1904. The second Henry mentioned died April 30, 1910, at the age of 16 years. Katherine died October 23, 1918, in her nineteenth year. Gesiana is now the wife of Albert Grote, a farmer in Bear Valley, and Mary the wife of Fred Arendt of Zumbrota.
Nei, George (page 699), a retired farmer residing in Mazeppa Township, of which for a number of years he has been one of the leading citizens, having served not only in local office, but also as county commissioner, was born in Goodhue County, October 9, 1862, son of Peter and Catherine Nei. The parents were born in the Duchy of Luxemburg and came to America in the early fifties, settling in Goodhue County, Minn. There they spent the rest of their lives, Mrs. Nei dying in 1895 and Mr. Nei in 1900. They were members of the catholic church. They had six children, the first born of whom, Lizzie, is now deceased. The others were John, George, Matthew, Anna and Peter. George Nei was educated in a district school in Goodhue County, and after beginning industrial life, worked for his father until 1888. His father then gave him 80 acres of land and a wagon and team, with which he was able to make a start for himself. In 1892 he bought 120 acres in sections 19 and 30, Mazeppa Township, Wabasha County, and began to improve the place, erecting a new set of buildings and supplying some needed fencing. There he was actively engaged in diversified farming, including the raising of stock, until 1918, in which year he retired, renting the farm to his son-in-law, P. W. Clemens, but retaining his residence on it. During his active years as a farmer Mr. Nei became widely known as a man of ability and reliable character, and it was no surprise to his neighbors and acquaintances when in 1912 he was elected county commissioner from the Third District, in which office he served by virtue of successive re-elections for eight years. He was also for six years a supervisor of Mazeppa Township, was 16 years town assessor, and for 15 years served on the school board of District No. 76. In all these positions he justified the confidence of his fellow citizens, showing good business acumen and ready comprehension of the public needs. In religion he is a Catholic. Mr. Nei was married in 1888 to Lizzie Huberty, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Huberty. Her parents were natives of Belgium who settled in Goodhue County, where the father is still living, the mother being now deceased. They had five children, John, Elizabeth, Katherine, Jacob and Margaret. Mr. and Mrs. Nei are the parents of two children: Lena K., born September 20, 1888, now Mrs. Robert Seibert of Mazeppa Township, and Clara K., born May 31, 1890, who is the wife of W. P. Clemens and has two children, Donald George and Geneva Elizabeth.
Nepper, John P. (p. 502), a pioneer of Minnieska Township, was born in Belgium, and came to this country in the middle fifties. After his marriage in 1858 he settled on his present place in section 32. While the first settlers had arrived several years before, the country was still wild. Steamboats were practically the only source of supplies, and practically the only means of communication with the outside world. Indians roamed the country at will, for although they had signed the treaties relinquishing their land, they were still reluctant to be confined to their reservation on the Minnesota. They were still uncivilized, living by hunting and fishing, wearing practically no clothing in summer, and huddling into their skin tepees in the winter. They were persistent beggars, but were outwardly friendly, and aside from the fact that their appearance once in a while frightened women and children, they did no harm. The Nepper family lived in true pioneer fashion. Mr. Nepper's first home was a log cabin, the primitive structure having a roof of shakes and a dirt floor. The barn was of straw. The first crops were planted among the stumps. With the passing of the years, better conditions came. By hard work, Mr. Nepper made for himself a place in the community, and built up a good farm with suitable buildings and equipment. He was esteemed by his fellow men, and after holding various local positions was elected county commissioner in 1892. In his latter years he retired from active work. He died in 1905. Mr. Nepper was married in 1858 to Annie Agnes. She was born in Luxemburg, and came to America in 1856. Making her way directly to Minnieska Township, she took up her home with her brother, Michael Agnes, who with Louis Krutely was the first settler in the township. She, like the other members of her family, had all the experiences of pioneer life, one of her winters before her marriage being spent in cooking for her brother and his gang of woodchoppers, who were cutting fire wood for steamers along this part of the Mississippi. Mr. And Mrs. Nepper had six children, four of whom are living and two dead.
Nepper, Peter (p. 503), chairman of the town board of Minnieska, and descended from two families prominent in the annals of the county, is farming 240 acres in section 32, and is not only making a success of his chosen vocation but is also doing active work in public affairs which is tending toward the progress and upbuilding of the community in which he is making his home. He was born on the place where he now lives, February 23, 1865, the son of John Peter and Annie (Agnes) Nepper, the pioneers and great-nephew of Michael Agnes, the first settler. He was reared on the home farm, received excellent training, and early took an interest in public life. After attaining the years of manhood, he occupied many local offices, has been a member of the town board for twenty-one years and chairman since 1901. His fraternal relations are with the Catholic Foresters. Mr. Nepper was married in 1860 (This date is incorrect if he was born in 1865) to Mary Heaser, daughter of Michael and Catherine (Davidshofer) Heaser, who were early settlers of Trout Valley, Winona County. He was a Civil War veteran (This statement is incorrect if he was born in 1865), and this union has been blessed with six children: Veronica; Margaret; Katherine; Minnie, died during the winter of 1919 with influenza; Frederick and Mary. Veronica, now deceased, married Harry Thompson, and left two small daughters, Mary and Margaret. Margaret married Alfred Johnson, of Watopa Towhsnip, this county, and has three children: Roy, Veronica, and Lovetta.
Nettekoven, Frank J.
Nibbe, Gustav H. (p. 700), a representative farmer of Mt. Pleasant Township, residing in section 34, was born in Belvidere Township, Goodhue County, Minn., August 31, 1881, son of Mr. And Mrs. John Nibbe. The parents, natives of Germany, came to the United States when young, and mad each other's acquaintance in new York state, being married in New York City. John Nibbe worked six or seven years as a farm laborer in New York state, without making any headway in the world, until, feeling the necessity of doing something to better his circumstances, he resolved to emigrate to the west. It was hard to find the means, as he was very poor, but in some way he scraped together the necessary amount to pay for the transportation of himself and family, and made his way to Goodhue County, Minn., where he settled. There his wife died December 23, 1888, when her son Gustave was seven years old, and Mr. Nibbe, still being in poor circumstances, Gustave was given a home by a neighbor, Peter Reincke, with whom he remained until he was 14. Up to that time and for about a year later he attended district school, making himself useful out of school hours. From the age of 14 to that of 22 he worked hard as a farm laborer. The he started in for himself, renting the Merkins farm in Belvidere Township, Goodhue County, which he operated for four years. In 1907 he moved to the Louis Juers farm in section 20, Mt. Pleasant Township, Wabasha County, a farm of 200 acres. He was industrious and saving, and was gradually getting along in the world. In 1911 Mr. Nibbe bought his present farm – formerly known as the Grogan farm – of 240 acres in section 34, Mt. Pleasant Township, of which he now has 220 acres under the plow. He has improved the house, which is a two-story frame structure, and in addition to the original barn he has built a new one of modern construction, 40 by 72 by 16 feet, with a 9-foot basement under all for cattle and horses. It is provided with cement floors, and the James system of steel stanchions, refuse carrier and running water. He has also erected a double corn crib 18 by 22 by 8, with an 8-foot driveway, and other buildings. The farm, which is five and a half miles southeast of Lake City, is very productive and well cultivated. Mr. Nibble (sic) eight fine work horses, with a full equipment of machinery, including a five-passenger Buick auto car. Formerly a Republican, he is now a member of the Non-partisan League. On June 9, 1905, Mr. Nibbe was united in marriage with Lena Luva, daughter of Peter and Adelia Meerkens of Mt. Pleasant Township, where she was born December 27, 1878. To him and his wife six children have been born: Melinda Elizabeth, November 29, 1906; Orlin John, December 28, 1907; Marvin Deidrich, April 13, 1912; Walter H., June 3, 1913; Roy Gustave, January 8, 1918; and Donald Emil, September 10, 1919. The family are members of the Lutheran church and of Trinity congregation in Gillford Township.
Nibbe, Herman G. (p. 749), a prominent representative of the agricultural interests of Gillford Township, the owner and operator of a good farm, and who is also a stockholder in various other business enterprises, was born in Belvidere township, Goodhue county, April 24, 1879, son of John and Barbara (Katz) Nibbe. He was early trained to agricultural pursuits and acquired his education in the district school. Reared by Joseph Holst of Belvidere, he remained with him eight years, and for five or six years was an ordinary farm hand. Finally he started in for himself, renting the Kin Rogers farm in Mt. Pleasant Township, where he remained ten years. In 1911 he bought his present farm of 160 acres in sections 3 and 4, Gillford Township, an improved farm, but with an old set of buildings. This deficiency he has remedied by the erection of a new set of modern type, including a two-story, ten-room house, electrically lighted; a barn for stock and hay, 30 by 50 by 18 feet, with an "L" for horses 28 by 32 by 18 feet; a stave silo 12 by 26, and other good buildings. Mr. Nibbe carries on diversified farming with an energy and experience which has been rewarded by a large measure of success. His farm is well stocked with pure blooded Red Poll cattle, of which he has 30 head; pure blooded Duroc-Jersey hogs, and grade Shropshire sheep. Mr. Nibbe is a member of the Lake City and Zumbro Falls shipping associations, and is a stockholder in the Oak Center creamery, of which he was formerly vice president; the Terminal Packing Co. of Newport, the Farmers' Elevator at Lake City, the Co-operative Milling Co. of Lake City, and the Wabasha County Leader. He was married in 1900 to Freda Catherine Meincke, who was born May 29, 1876, daughter of Henry and Anna E. (Tomfordt) Meincke of Mt. Pleasant Township. He and his wife are the parents of four children: Alfred Henry, born in 1901, who attended agricultural college and is now on the home farm; Norman George, born in 1903, who is a student in the Lake City High School; Anetta Henrietta, born in 1906, also a student in the Lake City high school; and George Wilmer, born in 1911. Mr. Nibbe and his family are affiliated religiously with the Trinity congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran church, the local organization being known as the "Lincoln Church."
Nibbe, John (p. 749), now deceased, was born in Hanover, Germany, November 3, 1841. In 1862, as a young man of 21, he came to America. He was married in New York City to Barbara Katz, who was born in Baden, Germany, in 1843. In 1875 Mr. And Mrs. Nibbe came west to Goodhue County, Minn., and settled on a farm. Mr. Nibbe followed farming and railroading for many years. He died December 31, 1913, his wife Barbara having died nearly 25 years previously, on December 23, 1888. They were the parents of seven children: Mattie, deceased, who was the wife of Henry Barghusen of Red Wing, Minn.; Anna, now Mrs. Richard Wilkins of Red Wing; Jacob J., of Red Wing' Herman G., a prosperous farmer of Gillford Township, Wabasha County; Gust, who is farming in Mt. Pleasant Township, Wabasha County; John, of Bowman, N. D.; and Dena, now Mrs. Jacob Fiendt.
Nichols, Henry H.
Nichols, Orville G.
Nolan, James W.
Nordine, Charles G. (page 358), one of the prominent officials of the Jewell Nursery Co., of Lake City, was born in Vermland, Sweden, February 27, 1877, son of John and Ida (Carson) Nordine. He was five years old when he came to Lake City, with his parents. The father, John Nordine, entered the employ of the Jewell Nursery Co., and has ever since continued with them, today being manager and superintendent of the outside business. He has also become well known in horticultural circles throughout the state. He has also become well reared to manhood here and educated in the common schools. Even as a boy he worked during his vacations for the Jewell Nursery Co., and at the age of 17 was in charge of their hot houses. He has worked "under glass" ever since, and today has charge of their large greenhouses. He is widely known throughout the city and highly respected. For two terms he served as a member of the city school board. In politics he has always been a Republican, while he affiliates with and helps to support the Swedish Baptist church, though not a member. He belongs to the Masonic order, in which he has advanced as far as the Commandery, and was master in the Blue Lodge for two years, and high priest in the Chapter, also for two years. His other fraternal affiliations are with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Independent Order of Foresters. Mr. Nordine was married October 7, 1903, to Marie Olson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nels Olson of Stockhom, Wis., where she was born July 22, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Nordine have reared seven children: Roy M., born September 30, 1905; Grace M., June 15, 1908; Carl F., October 30, 1910; Margaret R., June 27, 1909; Donald E., January 15, 1912; James, January 30, 1913; and Marion, June 17, 1914. The two eldest children, Roy and Grace, are pupils in the Lake City high school, and Carl in the grammar school. Mr. Nordine has two brothers and two sisters living: Louis, of Moline, Ill.; Martha (Mrs. P. Alfred Peterson), of Brainerd, Minn.; Edith and Paul, who are residing at home with their parents. Nordine, John (page 651), vice president of the Jewell Nursery Company of Lake City, and one of the leading horticulturists of Wabasha county, was born in Vermland, Sweden, July 22, 1852, son of John Pearson Nording and his wife, Britta K. (Anderson) Nordine. His parents lived and died in their native land, and there he, himself, remained for a number of years, acquiring his education in the public schools, and also spending three years in the army officers; school. He early made a practical acquaintance with farm work, and also to some extent with nursery work. In 1882, having then been married six years, he came with his family to Minnesota, and at once located in Lake City, beginning work as a laborer for the Jewell Nursery Company. Three years later he became one of the department foremen. His next promotion was to the position of superintendent of the propagation departments, and this he still holds. In 1917 he was made vice president of the company, and in 1918 was elected manager of all outside work. In 1908 Mr. Nordine built his present fine residence, situated near the plant, thoroughly modern, and beautifully surrounded by flowers and shrubbery. For many years he has been a member of the State Horticultural Society. His rise in life has been the result of close study and unremitting industry, and he is today one of the leading authorities on arboriculture and horticulture in the state. Mr. Nordine has also various other activities which with his regular work keeps him busy. For nine years he was a member of the Board of Education of Lake City, and is now chairman of the Swedish Baptist church. He also belongs to the Masonic order, in which he has advanced as far as the Commandery, and to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Equitable Fraternal Union. He was married in Sweden, January 24, 1876, to Ida C. Carlson, who, like himself, was born in Vermland, December 12, 1854. The issue of this marriage are five children: Charles G., born February 27, 1877; Louis F., October 19, 1884; Martha V., March 12, 1892; Edith E., March 24, 1894, and Paul R., November 20, 1898. Charles G. married Marie Olson of Stockholm, Wis., and has seven Roy M., Grace M., Carl F., Margaret R., Donald E., James and Marion. Louis F., who is superintendent of the sales department of the Moline Vacuum Heat Co., at Moline, Ill., married Mildred G., Anderson, of Brookings, S. D., and has three children; Florence, Louis and John Jr. Martha V. is the wife of Rev. P. Alfred Peterson, a minister of the Swedish Baptist church at Brainerd, Minn. Edith E. and Paul R. are still residing at home.
Norton, Patrick T.
Nygren, Carl (page 547), former member of the Minnesota State Legislature, and now a dealer on a large scale in Minnesota and Wisconsin farm lands, with headquarters at Lake City, was born in the city where he now resides, August 17, 1870, son of Charles John and Maria (Johanson) Nygren. He passed through the common schools and was reared to agricultural pursuits by his father, supplementing his practical knowledge gained on the farm, with courses at the Minnesota Agricultural College in 1896. In 1897 he started operating a farm in Mt. Pleasant Township. He carried on general farming and made a specialty of stock and swine breeding. He was the first farmer in his vicinity to breed registered Shorthorn cattle, and his fine herd of 67 was the pride of the neighborhood. He also had a drove of pure blooded Yorkshire swine and one of good graded Poland-China swine. In 1909, after twelve years successful operation of the farm, he sold out, and moved to Lake City, where he now makes his home at the corner of North Garden and Woodbine streets. Upon locating in Lake City he became traveling salesman for the Climax Western Oil Co. of Minneapolis. Next he became salesman for the Western Oil & Grease Co. of Minneapolis, his territory covering Goodhue, Wabasha and Winona counties in Minnesota, and also the northern tier of counties in North Dakota. In the spring of 1914, he became district agent for the Equitable Life Assurance Society, with headquarters at Lake City. In addition to this he was also agent for various fire, hail and cyclone insurance companies. In 1916, with John R. Donahue, of St. Paul, as a partner, he engaged in the real estate business. He handles all kinds of real estate, but makes a specialty of farm lands in large tracts. In addition to the land which he acquires from time to time temporarily as a part of his business, he is the permanent owner of a tract of 240 acres of timber land in Aitken County, this state. His business holdings include stock in the Texas Oil Co., of Houston, Tex. Mr. Nygren was elected to the State Legislature in the fall of 1910, and served in the regular session of 1911 and the special session of 1912. He won a good record, was chairman of the Committees on Military Affairs, Agricultural Schools, and Agriculture, and a member of the Committees on Good Roads and Live Stock. Mr. Nygren belongs to the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery of the Masons, at Lake City` as well as to the Shrine at Minneapolis. At Lake City he is also a member of the Independent Order of Foresters, and of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In 1916 Mr. Nygren filed as an Independent Democrat for a delegate to the Democratic National Convention at St. Louis, and won out by about 1000 majority, defeating Frank Sasse, attorney at Austin. He was married October 23, 1907, to Anna, the daughter of Frank W. and Mary H. Miller, of Lake Township, this county. This union has been blessed with four children: Charles Franklyn, born April 6, 1910; William Freeman, born September 29, 1912, and died August 17, 1913; and Harry and Helen, twins, born June 6, 1915.
Nygren, Charles Elmer (page 458), one of the popular and successful young farmers of Mt. Pleasant Township, is a native son of this county, having been born in Gilford Township, January 8, 1883, son of Charles J. and Maria (Johanson) Nygren. He attended the district schools of his neighborhood, and for two years was grounded in the fundamentals of a thorough commercial education in the Lake City Business College. He worked with his father until 1903, when he started on his own responsibility by renting 120 acres of his father's farm. He now operates 240 acres on a successful scale, and makes a specialty of high class stock, his herd including a dozen pure blooded Shorthorns and about 40 high grades. He also has a drove of from 25 to 50 pure bred Duroc-Jersey hogs. His place is a little more than five miles from Lake City, is kept in the highest stage of cultivation, and is well equipped with machinery, tools and implements. Mr. Nygren is an energetic, successful young man, popular in the community, and a thorough believer in modern methods of agriculture. He is a Democrat in general principles but reserves the right of private judgment as to men and policies in all elections, and although keenly interested in all public affairs he has never cared to seek political office. Mr. Nygren was married February 14, 1911, to Isabelle Edna Roberson, who was born January 19, 1889, daughter of Frank and Sarah (Whitcomb) Roberson, of Gillford Township, and this union has been blessed with three children: Norman Elmer, born June 26, 1912; Ruth Edna, born November 18, 1914, and Neil Wyman, born June 9, 1918. The family attends the Episcopal church.
Nygren, Charles J. (page 343), an extensive landowner, now deceased, was known for many years throughout southeastern Minnesota and southwestern Wisconsin as a large dealer in horses and mules. He was one of those men who came to this county with absolutely nothing, and by hard work, native shrewdness and sterling integrity achieved a respected place among the most prosperous men of the county, and left to his large family the memories of a worthy life, and the heritage of a respected name. He was born in Orobo, Sweden, March 5, 1846, the son of Erick Nygren. Left motherless at an early age, he was reared in his native land, and was thrown on his own resources when but eleven years old. As a young man he married Maria Johanson. In 1869 they came to America, reached the Mississippi by railroad, came up that stream on a boat, and disembarked at Hastings with practically no worldly possessions. Securing such work as he could, Mr. Nygren made his way through Goodhue County into this county, where he was variously employed, in general labor, as a teamster, and as a farm renter. After awhile he bought a place of his own. Gradually he added to his possessions until he owned a large tract of good farm land lying in Mt. Pleasant and Gilford Townships. Of this tract, two of the sons, Oscar M. and Charles Elmer now each own a farm of 240 acres in Mt. Pleasant Township, on each of which Mr. Nygren put up a dwelling and a good set of buildings. In addition to the busy cares of operating his broad acres, Mr. Nygren dealt in horses and mules, buying, feeding, breeding and shipping. His principal shipping point was Lake City, and his principal market at St. Louis. It was through this trading, that Mr. Nygren became so widely and favorably known throughout this entire region. In 1903 he moved to Lake City and purchased a home at the corner of Prairie avenue and Dwelle street. He continued from this point in horse dealing and shipping. After a long and useful life filled with worthy accomplishment, he died June 21, 1912, and his death was sincerely mourned. His wife still makes her home in Lake City. Mr. And Mrs. Nygren were the parents of ten children: Carl Herman, Ida M., Carl Sigfred, Huldah, Oscar William, Edla M., John Herman, Charles Elmer, Anna Louisa and Selma Eugenia. Carl Herman was left with relatives in Sweden, and died at the age of four years. Ida M. was born August 17, 1870, and lives at home. Carl Sigfred was born April 3, 1873, and is in the real estate business at Lake City. Huldah Maria was born April 14, 1874, and is now dead. Oscar William was born April 7, 1876, and is a farmer in Mount Pleasant Township. Edla M. was born April 12, 1878, who is now Mrs. Louis Walther, of Waseca, Minn. John Herman was born April 27, 1880, and is a veterinary surgeon at Waverly, Ia. Charles Elmer was born January 8, 1883, and is now a farmer in Mount Pleasant Township. Anna Louisa was born may 1, 1885, married Oscar Olson, and resides at Brooten, Minn. Selma Eugenia was born October 1, 1887, and is a teacher in the Lake City high school. She lives with her mother.
Nygren, Oscar W. (page 445), a prominent citizen of Mt. Pleasant Township, was born in the township where he now resides, April 7, 1876, son of Charles J. and Maria Nygren. He was reared to farm pursuits by his father, attended the common schools of his neighborhood, and has taken two full winter courses in the Minnesota Agricultural College. He operates 120 acres on section 26, Mr. Pleasant Township, a part of the old home farm, and here, on an extensive scale, he carries on general farming and stock raising, aside from the usual crops. Since 1896 he has operated a threshing outfit, and his operations in this line are widely known. His farm is unusually well equipped with implements, tools and machinery, including a gang plow of eight plows. In politics Mr. Nygren is a Democrat, although in local affairs he votes for men and immediate issues rather than for party. He has never sought elective political office, but under Gov. John A. Johnson's last administration he served two years as State Boiler Inspector of Wabasha county. He is popular with his fellow citizens, prosperous in his operations, and a useful member of his community. Mr. Nygren was married April 4, 1914, to Christine Bolang, born December 1, 1884, in Zumbrota, Goodhue County, daughter of Ole Bolang, of Central point, Goodhue County, this state. To Mr. And Mrs. Nygren have been born two children: Byron William, November 4, 1917, and died May 7, 1919; Philip Douglas, March 27, 1920. The family faith is that of the Swedish Lutheran church at Lake City.