O'Brien, Frank Michael and John Sylvester (page 706), who, under the style of O'Brien Brothers, are conducting an extensive farming business in Mt. Pleasant Township, were born in section 18, Lake Township, John Sylvester on December 3, 1860, and Frank on December 15, 1863. They are sons of John and Hannah (Mahoney) O'Brien, who came to Lake City in 1868. There John S. and Frank M. attended school, Lake City being their home until 1880. In the meanwhile their father had purchased and begun the operation of a farm in sections 13 and 24, Mt. Pleasant Township, on which the two brothers took up their residence on completing their schooling. In 1898 they formed a partnership with their brother James to operate the farm, and the three brothers were associated together for several years. Then James withdrew and John S. and Frank have since continued the business together, from time to time enlarging their sphere of action as they became more and more prosperous. They now own and operate 378 acres in Mt. Pleasant Township, also 240 acre adjoining in Lake Township, having 420 acres under the plow. In addition to the above mentioned property, they own a 200-acre farm in section 26, Mt. Pleasant Township, which they rent out. On the Mt. Pleasant farm operated by themselves is a good set of buildings, including a two-story frame house, a frame barn 46 by 70 by 18 feet, with a full stone basement of eight feet, a tool shed, poultry house, wagon shed, sheep house and granary, all good substantial buildings, and the land is well cultivated and productive. They are doing general farming and stock raising, their stock consisting of Shorthorn cattle, Duroc-Red hogs and Shropshire sheep, of which they have 100 ewes. For each herd they have full-blooded sires. Of cattle and sheep they ship annually one car load of each to the Chicago and St. Paul markets. Their 200-acre farm, which they rent, has 180 acres under the plow, and is in a good state of cultivation. It also has good buildings, the house being a two-story frame; the barn measuring 20 by 30 by 16 feet, and the other out-buildings including a granary, tool shed, wagon shed, and a shop, woodshed and summer kitchen combined. Industrious and capable, the O'Brien Brothers have taken rank among the most prosperous farmers of their township. Politically they are Democrats, and John S. has served as township treasurer for seven years, also for some years as a member of the school board. As yet he has not married. Frank O'Brien was married in 1909 to Elizabeth, daughter of Maurice Schaffer of Goodhue County. She died a little more than a year after her marriage, and the household is now presided over by Catherine O'Brien, a sister of John and Frank. Their mother died in 1871 and the father, who subsequently remarried, died in 1898. The family are Catholics in religion and members of St. Mary's parish at Lake City. They are people of wide acquaintance and are doing a valuable work in developing the agricultural resources of their locality, thus contributing materially to the aggregate wealth of the county in its most important industry.
O'Brien, James R. (page 444), proprietor of one of the largest and best farms in Mt. Pleasant Township, which he has himself developed to a large extent, was born in Lake Township, Wabasha County, February 19, 1866, son of John and Hannah (Mahony) O'Brien. The parents were of Irish descent but were both born in St. Lawrence County, N.Y. When a boy James R. Accompanied them to Lake City, this county, where he attended school. In 1893 he started in for himself as a renter on the Farrell farm owned by his father, which he operated until 1899. He then bought 400 acres in sections 21 and 28, Mt. Pleasant Township, on which were a frame house and tool shed. To improve the place he erected a good set of buildings, including a barn and granaries, and conducted agricultural operations successfully and without any bad luck until July 5, 1909, when the farm buildings, except the house, were swept by fire. In the same fall Mr. O'Brien rebuilt the barn, making it a good modern structure 42 by 114 by 18 feet in dimensions, with a full 9-foot basement for horses and cattle; also a granary, 24 by 34 by 20 feet, with elevator; a double corn crib, 18 by 24, with an 8-foot driveway; a poultry house, hog house, steel windmill, and a garage for his two autos ~ a Ford and a Studebaker. The farm is in a high state of cultivation and is very productive, 460 acres being under the plow. It is well stocked with high grade Shorthorn cattle, the herd numbering from 80 to 100 head, also a herd of 75 to 100 Duroc-Jersey hogs, both herds having full-blooded sires. He has also a very complete operating equipment, including an R. B. plow tractor with three plows, having a 12 by 25 drawback power, and a Titan threshing machine. On the farm is a fine orchard bearing winter varieties of fruit. In 1919 Mr. O'Brien bought the William Johns farm of 80 acres, adjoining his own, for his eldest son; and on his own farm he built in 1917 a fine tile silo of 150 tons' capacity. It will thus be seen that he is a man who knows how to do things on a large scale, and his success is the result of good managerial ability, coupled with persistent work and driving power. These qualities he also showed during the recent war as chairman of the Liberty Loan drives in his township, carrying the first four "over the top" and making a good record in the fifth. In 1891, he was elected town clerk and by successive elections held office until 1918, when he resigned. His friends urged him to run again but Mr. O'Brien considered 24 years in the office long enough. Mr. O'Brien was married November 3, 1892, to Minnie M. Miller, daughter of Frederick W. and Mary H. Miller of Lake Township. Six children are the issue of this union: Richard Harold, born October 15, 1894; Frederick John, December 18, 1897; Mary Genevieve, December 28, 1899; George Sylvester, January 16, 1902; James Arthur, April 19, 1905, and Francis Ralph, April 13, 1908. Richard Harold, who, as already mentioned, is operating a farm adjoining that of his father, was married October 26, 1918, to Emma Sprick, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Sprick of Mt. Pleasant Township. The other children are residing on the home farm except Mary Genevieve, who graduated from the Lake City high school and is now engaged in teaching. Mr. O'Brien and his family are members of the Catholic church, attending St. Mary's at Lake City.
O'Brien, John (page 705), in former years well known in Lake City as a successful farmer and stock raiser in this vicinity, was born in St. Lawrence County, New York, November 3, 1857, son of John and Jan O'Brien. The parents were natives of Ireland, and although of the same family name, were not related to each other save by their marriage, which took place in St. Lawrence County, N.Y. There they settled down on a farm, on which they resided many years, John O'Brien, Sr., dying in 1880. He was survived by his wife, who finally followed him to the other world. They were the parents of nine children, of whom five are now living. John O'Brien, Jr., the subject of this sketch, received a good common school education, as well as a thorough training in the principles of economy and thrift during his early youth on the farm. In the spring of 1857 he came to Lake City, Minnesota, where he followed his trade ~ that of mason ~ for three years. At the end of that time he bought a farm of 160 acres of government land in Lake Township and engaged in agriculture. In the same year he married Miss Hannah Mahony. After ten years' residence on that farm, Mr. O'Brien purchased a smaller one in Lake City and removed to town, where his wife died in February, 1871. His second marriage was in February, 1874, to Mrs. Sarah Failing, formerly Miss Sarah Munger, a native of Syracuse, New York. Mr. O'Brien's end came suddenly, on Monday, July 11, 1898. On the previous Friday he had been seen on the street, and that morning he had been feeling so well that he concluded to go out to the farm, as was his usual custom. He accordingly did so, but got overheated, and did not feel so well on Saturday. On Sunday he remained home from church, which was a very unusual thing for him to do; but on Monday morning he felt so much better that he began making preparations to go out to the farm, but while in the barn began to feel ill again and went to the house. For a few minutes he recovered, and then the symptoms recurred. A doctor was sent for, and after telling the doctor how he felt, while the doctor was preparing some medicine, Mr. O'Brien threw up his hands with a gasp and passed away. He was recognized as one of the leading farmers of Wabasha County, was strictly honest, always doing as he would be done by, and never allowed an opportunity to pass to do a kind act to a fellow being. His death was a great shock to his family and friends. He was a devoted Catholic and died happy in that faith, and a large concourse of friends followed his remains to their final resting place. Mr. O'Brien was the father of seven children, of whom six were by his first wife, namely: Mary J., who married John Steel of La Crosse, Wis.; J. Sylvester, Frank M., and James R., who are farmers i9n Mt. Pleasant Township, and Catharine B. By his second wife he had one son, George A. In addition to his farm within the city limits, Mr. O'Brien owned a fine farm of 620 acres in Lake and Mt. Pleasant Townships. In politics he was independent, supporting the man rather than the party.
O'Connell, Herbert J.
O'Connell, J. H.
Oelkers, Hein (page 750), an early settler in Chester Township, who is still living here, was born in Hanover, Germany, April 9, 1851. He grew to manhood and was educated in his native land, where he remained until he was 17 years old. Then in 1878 he came to the United States and to Wabasha county, Minn., locating in Chester Township, he and his brother buying 160 acres in section 9. There they farmed together until 1894, in which year the subject of this sketch sold his 80 acres and bought 160 acres in section 15. On his new place he erected a set of buildings and made general improvements, carrying on farming and stock raising there for over 20 years. In 1915 he rented the farm to a tenant, and bought the farm on which he now lives, containing 80 acres, and situated in section 16. On this he built another set of buildings, but is no longer engaged in active work, being now retired. Mr. Oelkers was married October 14, 1894, to Bertha Limermann, a native of Germany, who is still living with him on their farm. They have had seven children: Lydia, Anna, Arthur, Lorene, Alfred, Arnold and Hartland. The three daughters are married; Lydia being the wife of Peter Tomfort, Anna the wife of Emil Girgin, and Lorene the wife of William Vumbarge. As an early settler in Chester Township, and a resident here for more than 40 years, Mr. Oelkers is widely known and himself knows all the old residents for miles around. He and his wife and family are highly respected by the people of the township. They are consistent members of the Lutheran church.
Oelkers, Henry A. (page 750), engaged in agriculture in Chester Township, was born in this township March 26, 1887, son of John and Allie (Limemann) Oelkers. The parents came to this country from Germany in the early seventies, settling in Chester Township, Wabasha County, Minn., where they bought 80 acres in section 29, and later 80 acres more in the same section. The father erected all the buildings, put up fences and cleared some of the land and continued as a general farmer and stock raiser there until his death in June, 1908. His wife is now living in Goodhue village. Religiously they are affiliated with the German Lutheran church. They have had four children: Henry, William, Emma and Leona. Henry A. Oelkers acquired his education in the district school. After becoming industriously active he worked for his father until 1908, after which fir several years he conducted the home farm for his mother. In 1919 he bought it, but sold it the same year and bought his present farm of 40 acres in section 28, Chester Township, which he is cultivating successfully. For four years he has served as a member of the school board of District No. 100. Mr. Oelkers was married June 17, 1912, to Isabelle Chesnack, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Chesnack of Mazeppa village. Both her parents are now deceased, the father having passed away in 1910, and the mother in 1918. They had seven children: Isabella, Maude, Anna, Clara, John, Peter and Sylvester, of whom Clara is now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Oelkers are the parents of one child, Lloyd H., who was born February 22, 1920.
Oelkers, William B. (page 435), one of the leading merchants of Millville, a member of the firm of Oelkers & Frisch, was born in Goodhue County, Minnesota, October 28, 1883, son of William and Anna (Augustine) Oelkers, who were natives of Germany. The father came to the United States with his parents at the age of 13 years, and was subsequently engaged in farming in Goodhue County until his retirement and removal to Red Wing in November, 1919. He and his wife have had ten children, of whom three John, August and Anna are now deceased. The living are Henry, William B., Edward, George, Albert, Gustav and Alfred. William B. Oelkers was educated in the district schools of Goodhue County, and subsequently worked on his parents' farm, also being employed one year as clerk in a store. Since then he has been engaged continuously in mercantile business. For 13 years he was associated with Satren Brothers and M. H. Satren, of Zumbrota, for six months of that time being engaged in the live stock business. On April 22, 1918, he came to Millville and purchased the interest of Harry I. Engel in the mercantile business of Frisch & Engel, the name of the firm being changed to Oelkers & Frisch. They are conducting an up-to-date general store, including hardware, dry goods and groceries, and also operate a similar store at Elgin, which is known as the Farmers' Store, Mr. Oelkers owning a half interest in both and acting as manager of both stores. As such he has shown good executive ability and made a name for himself in the business world. He is a member of the Lutheran church. Mr. Oelkers was married at Zumbrota, Minn., in June, 1907, to Anna Prigge, daughter of Peter and Dora Prigge, who were early settlers in Goodhue County. Of this marriage four children have been born, one of whom, Malinda, died at the age of eight years. The three living are: Stella, born June 2, 1908; Clarence, September 3, 1911; and Elnora, September 6, 1913.
O'Laughlin, Martin J.
Olin, Caleb W. (page 332), has taken rank among the successful farmers of Oakwood Township, was born in Jackson County, Minn., December 13, 1873, son of John A. and Mary Hanson Olin. The parents were natives of Norway who were married in this country. John A. Olin served three years in the Civil War in a volunteer infantry regiment. After the war he and his wife settled in Jackson County, Minn., whence he later removed to Belvidere, Goodhue County, and still later, in 1885, to Wabasha County. In sections 21 and 29, Oakwood Township, he bought 160 acres of land, to which he subsequently added 93 acres on Long Creek, in section 28 of the same township. His first wife, Mrs. Mary Olin died about 1876, when her son Caleb, was about three years old, and John A. Olin subsequently married Mrs. Rosa Olson Helgerson, who is still living. He continued farming at the same location until his death, which occurred in March, 1909. By his second wife he had two children: Edna, now residing in Minneapolis; and Phoebe, now Mrs. Carl Polson of Millville. Caleb W. Olin acquired his education in District School No. 44, Oakwood Township, this county. After he became industriously active he went to Brainerd, Crow Wing County, where he remained for one winter. From there he went to Cass County, Minn., where he took a homestead of 160 acres, working on it and improving it for about seven years. His next removal was to Stutsman County, N.D., and there he continued farming for six years. At the end of that time he returned to the home farm in Oakwood Township, Wabasha County, which he rented and operated on his own account until 1914. He then bought the original tract of 160 acres, and later the 93 acres tract, so that he now owns the old home farm, and in addition works 80 acres belonging to his uncle, Bent Olin. He has made a number of improvements on his place, and has made plan for erecting a good modern barn in 1921. As a general farmer and stock raiser he is meeting with good success, breeding Durham cattle and Chester-White swine. He is a stockholder in the Farmers' Elevator and in the Shipping Association at Millville, and is also serving as clerk of School Board District No. 44, the district in which he attended school as a boy. On April 9, 1896, Mr. Olin was united in marriage with Blanche Leeper, of Oakwood, who was born in Fremont, Neb., in 1870. He and his wife are the parents of eight children: Lela, now Mrs. William Polson; Alice, who graduated from the Wabasha high school in the class of 1917, and is now a teacher; Bessie, a graduate of the same high school in the class of 1920; Arthur, who is assisting his father on the home farm; and John, Bernice, Harold and Hazel Marie. Mr. Olin and his family attend the Methodist Episcopal church.
Olson, Albert (page 333), a prominent representative of the farming interests of Oakwood Township, where he ranks among the well to do citizens, is a native of Wabasha County, born in October, 1859, a son of Ole and Anna Olson. The parents, natives of Norway, were among the earliest settlers in this county, arriving in the United States in 1849, coming west to Minnesota, and settling on Indian Creek, where they in time, by dint of hard work and perseverance, established a good farm. In 1908 they retired and took their residence with their son Albert, at whose home the father died in 1913. The mother died in 1912. Albert Olson's earliest years were passed amid pioneer scenes, which had changed but little by the time he began to attend the rural log schoolhouse. After that followed years of hard work on the home farm, on which he assisted his father, at the same time acquiring a good practical knowledge of agriculture, stock raising, and other branches of the industry, at first by means of primitive methods, machinery being only gradually introduced. As a partner with his brother William, he operated the home farm, to the area of which they added until it included 600 acres, and as stock raisers they branched out extensively, keeping as many as 100 head of cattle. In 1894 Albert bought his present farm of 200 acres in sections 22 and 15 ~ a fine piece of property on which he has built a good residence and barn. He continued actively engaged in its operation until the spring of 1920, when he rented the place to his son Bert, who is proving a capable manager. Poll Angus cattle are raised for beef purposes, and registered Chester-White swine are also bred. Mr. Olson is one of the directors of the State Bank of Millville, and the Farmers' Elevator at Millville. As a citizen active in local interests, he has served as a member of the school board of his district. In October, 1892, Mr. Olson was married to Jennie Polson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Emerick Polson. To him and his wife three children have been born: Jonas N., Mary and Bert. The last mentioned married Vida Nelson, who are living on the home place in a new house erected in 1920 for them by his father. The Olson family are affiliated religiously with the Methodist Episcopal church, while politically Mr. Olson is a Republican.
Olson, Ole (page 592), who operates a fine farm of 325 acres in section 37, Lake Township, is a man who has risen to his present position by overcoming many obstacles through force of will and determination. He was born May 8, 1862, in Sweden, not far from the cities of Landscrona and Lund, his parents being Olaf and Eleanor Olson. The father was a poor workman, who, however, owned a small piece of land. He subsequently died in Sweden. The mother was born in Sweden in 1830. She and her husband reared three sons, Ole, Peter and John. John lives in Sweden, but Peter, who, like Ole, came to America, is now a farmer in Lake Township, this county. Ole Olson had to make himself useful at an early age, working as a herdsboy during the summers and attending school winters up to the age of 13 years, when he began working out as a farm hand. At 15 he began to learn the blacksmith's trade, but soon gave it up and went back to the farm. For four years he was coachman for a Mr. Glundtworm, a wealthy Danish landowner, and at 21 entered the employ of another farmer. Every year during this period he had to serve several months in the army, his employer releasing him for that purpose. He remained with the farmer last mentioned for five years and then went back to Mr. Glundtworm as superintendent of his farm, and this time remained with him four and a half years, meanwhile receiving military training in the calvary. On October 30, 1886, he married Olivia Oakeson, who was born in Sweden, September 20, 1861, daughter of Oke and Johanna Pearson, and who had worked for the same employer as himself. By this time Mr. Olson had resolved to emigrate to the United States, but as he was still of military age, neither the government nor the church would grant him permission. He finally got a permit to accompany his wife to this country on his promise to return. They went to Denmark, and from there to Leith and Glasgow, Scotland, sailing for America from the latter port May 5, 1887. They had bought tickets in Glasgow for Minneapolis, which city they reached the latter part of May, the ocean voyage having taken 12 days. In Minneapolis Mr. Olson found employment as a laborer for the city and with Rosehill Nursery Co. On December 13, 1888, he with his wife and child, came to Wabasha County to work the Spotwood farm in Mt. Pleasant Township for a Mr. Smith of Minneapolis. He drew but little of his salary, and after two years, his employer becoming financially embarrassed, Mr. Olson bought the farm, machinery and stock to save his earnings. In 1895 he sold the farm and deposited his money in the Merchants Bank of Lake City, which failed and he lost all his money. For 11 years he rented the James Lawrence farm. Then in 1906, he rented the Webster farm in section 27, Lake Township, and also an adjoining farm in section 21, the two together having an area of 325 acres, and he has since been engaged in operating this place, having a first class equipment. For his herds of Shorthorn cattle and Chester-White hogs he has thoroughbred sires. He has 11 workhorses and a fine touring car, and as a highly successful general farmer he commands the respect of the community. He was one of the founders and is a member and director of the Farmers' Elevator Co., a member of the Farmers' Shipping Association, and a stockholder in the Security Bank of Lake City. Mr. Olson's record as an American citizen is equally good. He has served efficiently in various capacities in town office and on the district school board, and during the recent world war took a very active part as township chairman of the committees organized to raise funds, leading his forces over the top in every drive, for which he received honorary tokens of appreciation from his fellow citizens and townspeople. In politics he is a Republican. He is associated as a member with various fraternal orders, including the Masons, Oddfellows, the M.B.A., and the Equitable Fraternal Union, his wife also belonging to several. Religiously he was reared a Lutheran, and contributes liberally to the Swedish Lutheran church at Lake City, and all his children were confirmed in that church. They are people of a strong, rugged type, and have reared a large family, having lost only two children in infancy. The following is a brief record of their children: Ellen Marie, born in Minneapolis, July 4, 1888, died in June 1889. Oscar Leonard, born in Mt. Pleasant Township, December 13, 1889, is now a farmer in Pierce County, Wis. Ernest Julius, born July 1, 1892, was drafted for military service, June 24, 1918, was sent first to Camp Grant, at Rockford, Ill., then to Camp Meigs, at Washington D.C., where he received his mechanical training. On September 1, 1918, he sailed from Hoboken, N.J., for England on the Steamship Navassa; was a member of the Mobile Laundry Unit, No. 321, Quartermaster's Department; crossed from Southampton, England, to France and was stationed at Beaume, where he served as fireman. He shipped again for the United States June 29, 1919, landed in New York; was sent to Camp Mills, L.I., and from there to Camp Dodge, IA., where he was discharged July 19, and arrived home July 20. He is now working for the Jewell Nursery Company. John Edwin, born March 5, 1894, is farming in Lake Township. The above mentioned children, except Ellen Marie, were born in Mt. Pleasant Township. The next child, Martin William, was born in West Albany Township, July 3, 1896. He is with the Jewell Nursery. Annie Ellen, born January 22, 1897, is residing at home. Allan Francis, born March 8, 1901, died in June, 1904. James Lester, born March 2, 1904, is attending school. Mr. Olson's mother-in-law, who came alone to this country in 1902, resided with her son Ole until her death on November 25, 1913. Her remains were laid to rest in the Lutheran Cemetery at Lake City.
Olson, Ole H. (page 395), a popular business man of Hammond, who has also rendered good service as a public official, was born in Norway in 1860, son of Hover and Anna (Masel) Olson. His parents came to the United States in the year of his birth, settling in Springfield, Ill., where the father found miscellaneous employment. After the outbreak of the Civil War he enlisted in an Illinois regiment, with which he served about two years. On his return to his home in Springfield, he traded the city property he owned there for a farm in Jackson County, Wisconsin, to which locality the family removed. Later they came from there to Minnesota, locating in the town of Zumbro, Wabasha County. There were three children in the family, all sons. One died at the age of four years, the two survivors being George, who is a resident of Oronoco, Olmsted County, and Ole H. The latter was educated in the district schools of Wisconsin and Wabasha County, Minnesota, in Zumbro Township attending school No. 49. He was brought up to farm pursuits and began an independent career by renting a farm in Zumbro Township. In 1894 he bought the home farm of his wife's father in Zumbro Township, four miles southwest of Hammond, where he successfully carried on General agriculture until 1916. He then rented the farm to a tenant and moved to Hammond village, where he now has charge of the Standard Oil station. His public service has been varied. He was a member of the Zumbro Town Board 13 years, being chairman for nine years; was township treasurer on year, and trustee of the village board two years. For twenty years he has belonged to the fraternal order of Woodmen. Mr. Olson was married in August, 1883, at Hammond, Minn., to Dora A. York daughter of Edward M. and Mary (Sinclair) York, her parents being natives of Maine and pioneer settlers of Wabasha County, Minnesota. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Olson, one of whom, Iva Belle, died in 1885. The other is a son, Cleve, now living on the old home farm, who married Mary Paine, of Wabasha, and has a son named James H.
Olson, Ole S. (page 777), one of the younger farmers of Oakwood Township, was born in Norway, March 1, 1884, son of Ole and Ingeborg (Thompson) Olson. Both parents were natives of Norway, where Ole, Sr., died when the subject of this sketch was a very small child; but the mother is still living. Ole S. Olson attended the common schools of his native land, and at the age of 19 years, in 1903, he came to America, and at once to Oakwood Township, Wabasha County, Minn., where he began working out as a farm hand. That occupation he followed for 16 years, 13 years of which were spent in the employ of one man, William Polson ~ a record of continuous service seldom excelled. In 1919 Mr. Olson began agricultural activities on his own account, renting his present farm of 152 acres in section 19, Oakwood township, where he is following modern diversified farming and stock raising. He keeps a good grade of Shorthorn cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs, and is prominently identified with the interests of the community. Mr. Olson married Josephine Wurst, who was born January 17, 1894. Of this marriage there is one child, Helen, born May 20, 1910.
Orcutt, Lemuel J. (page 268), a Civil War veteran and retired farmer, who for 21 years has been a resident of Plainview Village, was born in Perry, Wyoming County, N. Y., February 2, 1840. He grew to manhood in his native state, and on September 13, 1862, enlisted for service in the Federal army. He took part in the bloody battles of Gettysburg and Spottsylvania, and was honorably discharged June 12, 1865, after a service of two years and nine months. In April, 1866, he came to Minnesota, locating first in Fillmore County, but after staying a few weeks there, he came, on May 12, to Wabasha. Here also his stay was short, for the records of Olmsted County record his marriage there, September 3, 1866, to Mrs. Eliza Bradley, nee Eliza Coats, and widow of Richard Bradley. Mr. Orcutt then took a farm in Olmsted County, which he operated successfully for 32 years, retiring and moving to Plainview in 1899. Here he has since resided, a well known and respected citizen. For over nine years he has been a widower, his faithful wife, Eliza, having passed away December 27, 1910. They had two children: Rilla, now Mrs. Walter N. Mills of Plainview, and George, who is a resident of Hoquiam, Wash. Mrs. Eliza Orcutt, wife of L. J. Orcutt, whose maiden name, as above mentioned, was Eliza Coats, was born in the famous manufacturing town of Sheffield, England, April 12, 1826. In 1847, at the age of 21 years, she was married to Richard Bradley, of Sheffield, and in 1851 they came to America, settling in Canada, whence, about 1860, they moved to Little Valley, Olmsted County, Minn. Five years later, in 1865, Mr. Bradley died and was buried in Little Valley. There were born of this union eleven children, five of whom died young. With the surviving six Mrs. Bradley struggled along with difficulty, it often being the case that there was nothing in the house to eat but a little corn bread, and it was doubtless with a lightened heart that in the following year she gave her hand to the stalwart young farmer and veteran soldier, L. J. Orcutt, whose strong arm provided for the family and kept the wolf from the door. She also did her part. Always industrious, a great lover of home and family, a kind mother and a good neighbor, she was loved and respected, and the tears shed at her demise were sincere tributes to the place she had gained in the hearts of her friends. Her remains were laid to rest beside those of her first husband in the Little Valley cemetery. Her children by Mr. Orcutt have been mentioned. The six children now living by her union with Richard Bradley are : Mrs. Sarah Pages of Mosier, Ore.; William Bradley of Taylor, Wis.; Tom Bradley of St. Charles, Minn.; Mrs. Lizzie Peterson of Nashua, Ia.; John Bradley of Plainview, Minn., and Richard Bradley of Hoquiam, Wash. For twelve years previous to her death, Mrs. Orcutt had resided with her husband in Plainview, with the exception of a short time spent in Texas. She was a remarkably well preserved woman for her age, and passed away after an illness of but a few days.
Ordway, Benjamin S.