Paine, John H.
Palmer, Peter O. (page 565), a prosperous member of the agricultural class in Lake Township, is a man who has built up his own fortune through industry and perseverance. He was born in Landskrona, Sweden, February 17, 1867, son of Olaf and Elna Pearson Olson, and was educated in the common schools of his native land. His parents being poor, he had to begin industrial life at an early age, herding pigs, sheep, and geese in the summer and attending school in the winter. At the age of 17 he enlisted in the Regular Army and afterwards he continued military training for three or fours weeks annually. In accordance with Military requirement he had to take a new name as a soldier, and the name Palmer was given to him, one which he has since retained. In 1889, at the age of 21, having received an honorable discharge, he resolved to better himself by emigrating to America, and accordingly set out, landed at New York, and came directly to Wabasha County, where his brother, Olaf Olson, who had three years before preceded him to this country, was living. During his first year in this county he worked as a farm hand in Lake Township. Then in the spring of 1890 he went to Minneapolis, where for four years he was employed as a common laborer. Having returned to Lake Township, in this county, in 1894, he rented 80 acres of land and began farming. He remained at his first location but four years, and then in 1898 came to his present place, known as the Charles Crawshan farm, in section 21, a farm containing 220 acres, of which 200 are now under the plow. Here he has demonstrated his ability as a man of action, with a good knowledge of agriculture, raising abundant crops, keeping good stock, and having an adequate equipment of modern tools and machinery, including a good touring car. His success has been commensurate with his efforts, and each year sees him farther advanced. He is an American citizen, both naturalized and in spirit, and is politically aligned with the Democrat party, though he exercises independent judgement in casting his vote, on particular occasions favoring the best candidate regardless of party. Mr. Palmer was married early in 1890, to Maria, daughter of Per and Anna Mary Shuberg Swensen, a native of Sweden, who was born October 29, 1862, and came to America on the same boat and at the same time as her husband. Four children have been born to them: Mabel Edith, October 17, 1890; Oscar William, December 29, 1891; Elsie Olivia, January 11, 1896; and Carl Henry, September 4, 1897. Mabel Edith is the wife of Menno Kobs, a machinist in Minneapolis, and has two children, Virginia May and Palmer William. Oscar William is working on the home farm with his father. Elsie Olivia was married, October 11, 1916, to Edwin Bade, of Lake Township, and has three children, Mary, Eleanor Agnes, and Agnes. Carl Harry is residing on the home farm. Mr. Palmer is a member of the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Modern Brotherhood of America. He was reared a Lutheran, as also was his wife, and their children have all been christened in the Swedish Lutheran church at Lake City.
Parkinson, James W. (page 718, transcribed by Cathy), one of the leading farmers of Zumbro Township and an extensive stock raiser, was born in Lancashire, England January 24, 1863, son of William and Ellen (Knight) Parkinson, both of whom were natives of England. William Parkinson, the father, had but a limited education, as at the early age of nine years he was obliged to work in a cotton factory. When a young man he served as groom and gardener for a clergyman, remaining in England until 1864, when he came to the United States with his family, having been previously married to Ellen Knight. For some time he resided in Joliet, Ill., where he was employed in the lumber business. In 1869 he came to Wabasha County, Minn., and bought 80 acres of land in Section 14, Zumbro Township. In time he cleared all of his land, erected necessary buildings and developed a good farm, on which he resided until his death, October 20, 1906. His wife survived him less than three years, passing away September 21, 1909.They were members of the Episcopal church. Their children were: James W., Joseph, Elizabeth and Margaret, of whom Joseph and Margaret are now deceased. James W. Parkinson was an infant in arms when he accompanied his parents to America, and was only six years old when they settled in Zumbro Township, Wabasha County. He soon after began to attend the district school, where he acquired his education. As he grew older he began to make himself useful on his parents' farm, and was his father's assistant until 1887, in which year he rented the farm and for four years subsequently operated it on his own account. In 1891 he bought it and at later intervals he purchased other land until he now owns 515 acres in Zumbro township, in sections 10, 11, 14 and 15. Here he is engaged in general farming, giving particular attention to stock raising, and is numbered among the enterprising and successful farmers of his township. In addition to his farm, Mr. Parkinson owns two lots in the Baker addition to Mazeppa. Mr. Parkinson was married May 10, 1887 to Miss Nettie Barnes, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Amos Barnes. Her parents were natives of England who came to America in the early sixties and settled in Zumbro Township, this county, where the father, Amos Barnes, died July 23, 1881. The mother now resides with her daughter, Mrs. Parkinson. The later was one of a family of five children: George A., Nettie M., Charles E., John A., and Frankie, the last mentioned being now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. and Mrs. Parkinson are the parents of six children, as follows: Mary E., born April 21, 1888, now Mrs. Wallace Whipple; Edna M., born March 12, 1890, who is the wife of Clarence Greer; John W., born April 29, 1893, residing on the home farm; Grace L., bon January 28, 1895, now Mrs. Edward Herman; Sylvia M., born September 11, 1898, and James W., born June 4, 1905, both of whom are residing at home.
Passe, John B.
Passe, John B. and Henry
Patchin, August E.
Pearson, Charles J.
Pencille, Orrin (page 747), a pioneer settler in Zumbro Township, now deceased, was a native of Canada and married a Mary A. Denison of New York state. They came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, in 1856, at which time there was a considerable influx of settlers, though but little land cleared, and the few farm houses were nearly all small log cabins. Mr. Pencille took a claim of 80 acres in Zumbro Township, and later increased the size of his farm to 120 acres, subsequently buying still more land until he owned 280 acres, a part of which he cleared, besides erecting buildings. He also acquired a quarter section at Bigstone, Minnesota. In addition to general farming, he worked at the blacksmith's trade. In 1892 he moved his family to Plainview, where he engaged in the music business, selling musical instruments, and giving music lessons. Encouraged by his success in this line of endeavor, but desiring a larger field, he went in 1902 to Chicago, where he followed the same business until 1907. He then sold his Chicago interests and returning to Minnesota, took up his residence in Rochester, where he died in the same year. He had been a widower for eight years, his wife having passed away in December, 1899. They were members of the Methodist Church. Their children were William D., Annie L., Ida, Nettie, Carrie, Grace E., and Catherine A., of whom William, Annie and Grace are now the only survivors.
Pencille, William D. (page 747), for a number of years one of the leading farmers of Zumbro Township, was born in this township, January 21, 1860, son of Orrin and Mary Denison Pencille. He was educated in the district school and worked for his father until 1890, when he started for himself, having in the previous year bought 140 acres in section 30, Zumbro Township. Enterprising and industrious, he bent all his energies to the work of improving his position in life, and to that end from time to time bought more land, about 1895 purchasing 120 acres in section 25, and later 80 acres in section 36, thereby increasing the area of his possessions to 400 acres, all in Zumbro Township. In addition to general farming and stock raising, he worked at the blacksmith's trade, and conducted a threshing outfit and clover-huller until he had the misfortune to lose his right arm, which was caught in a corn-shredder. He erected all the buildings on his farm, except the house, the barn being a particularly fine structure, and all the buildings, indeed, being substantial and up to date in style and arrangement. In 1917 he rented the farms to his sons William and Seward, and is now retired. Aside from the financial interest connected with his farm, Mr. Pencille is a stockholder in several important business enterprises, of each of which he is an official, being president of the Live Stock Shipping Association of Hammond, vice president and director of the Farmers' State Bank of Hammond, vice president of the Hammond Creamery Association and treasurer of the Hammond Telephone Company.
Pesch, Theodore M.
Peters, Alfred G. (p. 353), now engaged in operating the old Peters farm of 256 acres in section 11, West Albany Township, was born in Glasgow Township, this county, April 16, 1885, son of Peter and Eliza (Stohmann) Peters. His elementary education was obtained in the common school, and he was subsequently graduated from the Lake City high school. In the fall of 1908 he went to the Minnesota Agricultural College, where he took a one-year course. For a number of years he was associated with his father in the cultivation and development of the home farm, which he carried on for his mother after the father's death in April, 1907, and of which he is now the owner. It is a fine property, with full equipment, and well stocked with high grade Aberdeen Angus cattle, Poland-China and Chester-White hogs, and merino sheep, each herd or flock having a full-blooded sire. Mr. Peters is successfully engaged in diversified farming and is enjoying a prosperous career, the result of industry and good management. He is also interested in the elevator and Shipping Association at Theilman, and owns a five-passenger automobile. He was married October 18, 1911, to Mae, daughter of John E., and Nancy (McFarland) Brown of Glasgow Township, and he and his wife are the parents of one child, Corinne Loretta, born April 25, 1918.
Peters, Hans (p. 365), who is successfully operating a farm of 240 acres, two-thirds of which lies in Elgin Township, was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, April 7, 1872, son of John and Dorothy Peters. He was educated in his native land, where he remained until arriving at the age of 18 years. Then, in 1890, he came to the United States, locating first in Boone County, Iowa, where he worked on farms until 1897. In the latter year he rented a farm of 320 acres in Dickinson county, Iowa, and was engaged in general farming and stock raising there for three years. In 1903 he sold his place and going to Colorado, bought 320 acres there, which he subsequently sold. His next venture was the purchase of a 160-acre farm in Iowa, on which he resided for a year. After that he lived in North Dakota until 1916, in which year he came to Wabasha County, Minn., and bought his present farm of 240 acres, 160 acres of which lie in Elgin Township, and 80 acres in section 31, Olmsted County. In 1918 he built a new barn, 32 by 72 feet, also a fine house and out-buildings. As a general farmer and stock raiser he is making good progress, and is one of the representative citizens of his township. He was married June 13, 1896, to Anna Ficken, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gerhardt Ficken. To him and his wife five children have been born: John H., October 27, 1897; Louise Isabel, August 24, 1899; Rudie and Prudie (twins), April 27, 1902; and Lily, July 7, 1912. Mr. Peters and his family are members of the German Lutheran church.
Peters, Peter (p. 352), who in his day was a hard-working and successful framer in West Albany and Glasgow Townships, was born in Luxemburg, January 11, 1852. In 1853 he accompanied his parents, who were very poor, to Wabasha County, Minn., and they took a homestead of 160 acres in Glasgow Township. The land was wild and for the first few years the family lived in a sod house. Up to the age of 26 years Peter worked with his father. On January 14, 1878, he was united in marriage with Eliza Dora, daughter of Frederick and Mary (Anding) Stohmann. She was born in Glasgow Township, this county, December 5, 1865, her [parents being among the earliest settlers there. At that time Wabash (sic) and Read's Landing were the nearest markets, to which the people walked carrying butter and eggs, the butter selling at ten cents a pound and the eggs at ten cents a dozen. About the time of his marriage Peter Peters bought 80 acres in Gillford Township and began farming with the aid of oxen, he and his wife living in a log shanty. Within two years they sold the place and bought the farm of Mrs. Peters' father in Glasgow Township. There they resided until 1890, when they again sold, and this time bought a farm of 240 acres in sections 11 and 12 in West Albany, which had, however, poor buildings. This defect he remedied, erecting a good set, including a frame barn, 36 by 72 by 14 feet, with basement; a second barn, 36 by 40 by 14; a machine-shed, 36 by 52 by 8; and a granary and hog-house. He also improved the house. There he was engaged in general farming, and also to a considerable extent in stock-raising, and was very successful. He had a fine operating equipment, and increased the size of the farm to 256 acres, of which 200 are now under cultivation. This farm lies eight and one half miles southeast of Lake City and is a fine piece of agricultural property. Mr. Peters died suddenly of hear failure on April 17, 1907. He was a Catholic in religion, and a member of the United Workmen and of the Odd Fellows. After his death his widow, with the assistance of her son, Theodore, operated the farm till 1911, when she moved to Lake City, where she owns a comfortable home. Since Mr. Peters' death the family have joined the First Congregational Church of Lake City, though having previously worshiped with him. There were five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Peters: Frederick, October 16, 1889, who died in infancy; Theodore, born April 17, 1891, owns and operates a fine farm near the old home in West Albany Township; Alfred G. is the subject of a special sketch in this volume; Loretta E. and Clarabelle were twins, born June 8, 1901, of whom Clarabelle died November 7, 1918, and Loretta is now taking a teacher's course in the University of Minnesota.
Peters, Samuel (p. 514), a veteran ship builder,
and one of the best known and most respected citizens of Wabasha city, was
born on Cape Breton Island, at the mouth of the St. Lawrence river, Canada,
January 31, 1829, son of Samuel and Mary (Anderson) Peters. He was reared
on his parents' farm, in his boyhood attending the common school, after which
his educational period, so far as schools were concerned, came to an end.
After remaining at home until the age of 21, he went to East Boston, Mass.,
where he began to learn the trade of ship building. Late in the fifties he
returned to Massachusetts, but when the Crimean war broke out in 1859, he
returned to Nova Scotia, where he followed his trade. At the close of the
war he sent to Massachusetts, where he followed his trade both at Boston and
Cape Cod, for a short period, then again returned to Sidney, Nova Scotia,
and there followed the ship building business until 1880; coming that year
to the United States, he located in Minnesota and entered the employ of the
Batchelor Boat Building Co. at Stillwater. Later he went to Montana, where
he superintended the building of the "Crescent," a freight and passenger steamer
for service on Flathead Lake and River. This done, he returned to Stillwater,
re-entering the employ of the Batchelor company. He was a second time called
to Montana, on this occasion to build a smaller vessel for the Flathead Lake
and Columbia River service. His work in Montana occupied altogether about
three years. After his second return to Stillwater, he remained there until
1893, in which year he came to Wabasha and leased the Wabasha boat yard. This
he purchased in the spring of 1894 and has since operated it, his son, William,
having been for some years associated with him. Among the many boats he has
built may be mentioned especially the "Frontenac," the "Sam Peters," the "Orion,"
the "Ed Douglass," the "Phil Shackel," the "Gazelle," the "Virginia," the
"Harriet," the "Keokuk," the "Blackhawk" and "The Crescent," and he has also
done much repairing and rebuilding. Several of the boats he built he operated
for a season or more. Mr. Peters has always been a hard worker and continued
actively until the summer of 1919. A Republican in politics, while in Stillwater
he served as assessor for two terms. In Wabasha he served one term as alderman,
and was elected for a second term, but resigned. He has always been a strong
advocate of temperance and in favor of the prohibition movement. He is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Peters was married February 18, 1866,
to Anne Muggah, a native of Nova Scotia, and of Scotch descent, who was reared
in the faith of the Presbyterian church. She died October 2, 1899. Mr. and
Mrs. Peters were the parents of four children: Isabella, George, William and
Emma. Both Isabella and George are now deceased. William, who was born in
Nova Scotia, November 10, 1872, has been associated with his father since
beginning industrial life. He is a practical ship builder, and now manager
of the Wabasha yard. He is unmarried. Emma, who is also unmarried, was graduated
from the Winona Normal School and subsequently taught school in Grand Forks,
N. D., Spring Grove, Minn., and Wabasha, Minn. She is now engaged in keeping
house for her father and brother. Mr. Peters comes of a sturdy line of Scotch-Irish
ancestors, and is a remarkably well preserved man for his age. His wife was
the daughter of an old sea captain, and in her family and among her relatives
were no less than 42 masters of sea-going boats.
Petersen, Daniel L.
Peterson, John M.
Peterson, Ole O.
Petrich, Charles R.
Pfeilsticker, Louis (page 524), a well-to-do citizen of Wabasha, who is operating a farm in the southeastern part of the city, was born at Read's Landing, Wabasha County, January 21, 1857 son of Louis and Theresa (Hummel) Pfeilsticker. The father came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, from Prussia in 1848. He was a baker by trade, and soon after arriving here became cook for loggers on the Chippewa river, which occupation he was engaged in till 1855 or 1856. He was then married at Read's Landing to Theresa Hummel, with whom he had become acquainted at that place, and in 1857 he started in the bakery and confectionery business at Wabasha, a business that he operated until his death at the comparatively early age of 45 years. His widow subsequently became the wife of Louis Hauswedell of this county. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Pfeilsticker were: Louis, Jr. , the direct subject of this sketch; Louisa, born December 11, 1858, who married Peter Jacobs and died in 1915; Emma, Born December 25, 1860, who is now Mrs. Peter Theisen, of Zumbro Falls, Wabasha County; Eda, born May 1, 1862, who died in 1864; August, born in August, 1866 who died at Wabasha in 1875; and Frank A., born in 1869, married Elizabeth Klas, and is living on a farm in Wabasha County. Louis Pfeilsticker after leaving school working on his stepfather's farm until reaching the age of 20 years. In 1877 he entered the employ of W.S.McArthur, a cooper, in Wabasha, with whom he remained, however, but one winter, in the following year going to Brookings County, South Dakota, where he homesteaded 160 acres of wild land, 14 miles west of the present city of Brookings, though at that time there was but one house there. On that farm he remained for about three years, and then in 1881 returned to Wabasha and resumed the cooper's trade with W.S.McArthur, with whom he remained until 1883. On April 5 in the latter year he was united in marriage with Caroline, a daughter of John and Magdaline Kirchner, of Wabasha. She was born in Mormon Coolie, La Crosse County, Wis., December 10, 1862, and came with her parents to this county when two years of age. In the year of his marriage he bought a block in the southeast corner of Wabasha city, a tract of wild land, to which he subsequently added until he had 16 acres. On this he built a modern residence, a modern barn and outbuildings , and has since resided on and operated the place. In 1888 Mr. Pfeilsticker exchanged his Brookings County farm for 160 acres lying just on the edge of Wabasha city, a piece of land on which there were no improvements, but today is a good farm. Previous to his, in 1884, Mr. Pfeilsticker had entered the employ of the Big Jo Milling Co. of Wabasha, with whom he remained as foreman until1914. During this period of 30 years his farm was operated by his sons, but since the latter date he has operated it himself, having then severed his connection with the milling company. In about 1912 he purchased 52 acres of meadow land in Greenfield Township. He is a member of Waupahasa Lodge, No. 14, A.F.&A.M.; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; White Oak Camp, No. 2077, M.W.A., and the Good Samaritans, all of Wabasha. In politics he is Republican, and he and his family are members of the German Reformed church. To Mr. And Mrs. Pfeilsticker have been born ten children, as follows: Louis Phillip, born August 23, 1884, who is engaged in the grocery and implement business in Wabasha; on November 1, 1904, he married Jessie Dunn, and they have four children, Eleanor H., Vera, Phillip and Lee J. George John, born August 13, 1885, who is in the employ of the Big Jo Milling Co., and who married Cora Barton and has five children, Edith Dorothy, Carrol, Robert and Georgia; Olivia, born July 17, 1887, Mrs. A,L. Kyllo, Grantsburg, Wis.; Frank Albert, born July 27, 1890, a farmer in Wabasha, who married Vemba Brown and has three children, Florence, Vemba Louise, and Wilfred; Dora Theresa, born September 7, 1892, wife of Peter Klass, of Wabasha, whose children are Peter, Dorothy and Donald; August, born December 16,1894, now a resident of Wabasha, who served as a soldier in European theater of the recent World's War, and who married Blanche Davison and has one child Marian; Allen Henry, born March 6, 1896, who died in Wabasha, July 23, 1905; Charles Leonard, born May13, 1900; John Walter K., born December 30, 1905; and William Joseph, born January 14, 1907. The three last mentioned are residing at home and attending school.
Pfeilsticker, Louis Phillip (page 524), a prosperous business man of Wabasha, engaged in the grocery and implement business on Pembroke street, was born in Wabasha city, August 23, 1883, son of Louis and Caroline (Kirchner) Pfeilsticker. He was reared on his parent's farm on the outskirts of the city and attended the common school up to the age of 17 years. On November 1, 1904, he was married to Jessie Dunn, daughter of Frank and Eliza (Flemming) Dunn, of Wabasha, and who was born at Pepin, Wis., December 4, 1886. During that year and the following he was in the employ of the Big Jo Milling Co., of Wabasha, but in the spring of 1906 he went to St. Paul, where he became clerk in Michael Bros.' Grocery. On March 28, 1907, Mr. Pfeilsticker opened a confectionery store on Pembroke street, Wabasha. This was a venture that proved highly successful, so much so that he soon had to move to larger quarters, which he found on the same street. After building up the business to good proportions, he traded it for 160 acres of improved land, without buildings, in Bottineau county, North Dakota, which property he still owns but leases out there being now 100 acres under cultivation. Mr. Pfeilsticker then entered into the grocery and implement business, a few doors east of his former location on Pembroke street, and has since carried on a thriving business at this location. In 1915 he became local representative for Emerson & Prautingham, dealers in farm machinery, and has since become agent for other makes, and done a large business in this line throughout the surrounding country. His implement warehouse adjoins the confectionery store on the north. In politics he is a Republican, while his fraternal affiliations are with White Oak Camp, no. 2077, M.W.A. He and his wife are members of the Congregational church. To Mr. And Mrs. Pfeilsticker four children have been born: Eleanor H., January 24, 1907; Vera, January 9, 1909; Phillip, June 25, 1916; and Lee J., May 5, 1918.
Philley, David L. (page 753), who came at an early day to Wabasha County, and after an interval of some years, made a permanent settlement, was born in McDonough, Chenango County, N. Y., September 8, 1823, son of Isaac and Eliza Philley. His grandfather, Remembrance Philley, served through the Revolutionary War under Washington. The family name is of Irish origin, but the mother of Remembrance was scotch. David L. Philley was reared on a farm and received a meager common school education. At the age of 21 he began to teach and educate himself, teaching eight winters in all. He also bought farms and sold them after making improvements. He was married March 5, 1849, to Clarissa L. Eaton, who was born in Willet, Cortland County, N. Y. and whose father, John Eaton, was born in Utica. In 1857 Mr. Philley came to Wabasha County, Minn., on a prospecting tour, and bought 240 acres of land in Chester Township, subsequently returning East. In 1868 he came back to Chester Township, subsequently returning East. In 1868 he came back to Minnesota, bringing with him his family, and they settled on his land in Chester Township, which he improved, carrying on agriculture there until 1875, when he moved to Lake City. About a year later he came to Mazeppa, where he built a good residence, and engaged in the buying and selling of land, an occupation in which he continued until his death on March 28, 1903. He had been a widower for over ten years, his wife having passed away December 23, 1893. Of their six children, five are now living: Melinda, a widow residing in Mazeppa, her husband, Albert Stowell having died in 1905; Isaac L., a hardware merchant in Lewisburg, Minn.; John E., of Mazeppa; Murray, who lives in Canada; and Viola, who married Edward Noonan of Portland, Ore. The one deceased is Sherman. Mr. Philley was at one time, in the early eighties, the owner of 2,100 acres of land, of which 1,300 acres were in Lac Qui Parle County. He was a member of Mazeppa Lodge, I. O. G. T.
Philley, John E. (page 754), now living retired in Mazeppa, after a number of years spent in farming and stock raising in Chester Township, was born in Chenango County, N. Y., September 9, 1856, son of David L., and Clarissa (Eaton) Philley. He was in his twelfth year when he accompanied his parents to the farm they had purchased in Chester Township, this county, and he was there reared to manhood, acquiring under his father a practical knowledge of agriculture. On his father's death in March, 1903, he fell heir to the farm, which he conducted until April, 1912. He then rented the place to a tenant and came to Mazeppa, where he has since lived retired. He has been school director for several years, and for three years justice of the peace, and is a man held in esteem by his fellow townsmen for his sterling qualities as a neighbor and good American citizen. He is fraternally affiliated with the United Workmen. Mr. Philley was married April 3, 1880, to Clara A. Ford, daughter of Orton and Finette (Hogan) Ford. Her grandfather, Joseph Ford, was one of the earliest settlers on the site of Mazeppa, pre-empting 160 acres of land in the north half of section 6, and he and his son, Orville D., who settled in the south half of the same section, laid out and platted the village, the site of which was owned by Joseph. Mr. and Mrs. Philley are the parents of three daughters: Olive, wife of Delbert Cunningham, of Zumbrota, Minn., and Almeter and Elsie, residing in Mazeppa, the latter being clerk in Nichol's store. A son, Clarence, is now deceased.
Phillips, Louis A.
Pike, Nelson C.
Plein, John H., a prominent farmer of Highland Township, residing in section 22, was born in Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, June 26, 1870, son of Peter and Kate (Valler) Plein. The father, Peter Plein, was born in the Duchy of Luxemburg and came to America in 1862, locating in Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, Minn., where for a number of years he worked on farms. He then bought a small farm on which he lived and which he operated for half a century, but is now retired and residing with his son John H. He was married to Kate Valler in 1869, and she died in March, 1874. They had six children: John H., Peter, Anna, Lizzie, Katie and Mike. Of these children Katie and Lizzie are now deceased. John H. Plein was reared in Glasgow Township, where he attended district school. He performed farm labor for his father and others until 1895, in which year he started in for himself, buying 160 acres in section 22, Highland Township. He has built a large barn and outbuildings, and installed an electric lighting system for all buildings, the farm and buildings being now in excellent condition. He carries on general farming, raising good cattle and Chester- White hogs, and keeping full-blooded sires at the head of his herds. In religion a Catholic, he belongs to the Old Settlers' Association of Wabasha County; also to the Equitable Fraternal Union, the Knights of Columbus, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Modern Samaritans, of which his wife is also a member. Mr. Plein was first married April 7, 1896, to Lora Unbrecht, who died November 20, 1901. By her he had five children: Alvin B., born March 13, 1897; Ralph J., April 19, 1898; Floyd E., May 22, 1899; Eunice Fl, July 20, 1900, and Ethel, February 21, 1901. On April 17, 1917, Ralph J., enlisted in the U. S. navy and subsequently made 15 trips across the Atlantic on a U. S. transport vessel. He was discharged in September, 1919, and is now in Minneapolis. Alvin B. enlisted in the army August 15, 1918, in a machine gun company, and was sent to Minnesota University farm, later to Camp Hancock, and then to Camp Dodge, being discharged January 9, 1919. Eunice F. is now Mrs. Hubert Weise of Plainview Township. Ethel is residing at home. Mr. Plein was married secondly, in 1908, to Ida Maahs and of this union ten children have been born, as follows: Elsie B., April 4, 1904 (died December 23, 1907); Erving J., born July 21, 1905; Johnnie J., July 23, 1906; Francis E., February 13, 1908; Stella A., April 22, 1909; Lawrence A., April 21, 1910; Viola E., July 21, 1911; Florence P., September 29, 1913; Arthur C., April 22, 1915, and Joseph A. June 22, 1918. All the surviving children are residing on the home farm.
John Plein, father of Mrs. Joseph H. Freese, was born in Highland township, Wabasha county, Minn., August 12, 1864. After growing to manhood he farmed in Highland Township until 1905, and then moved to Kellogg, where he and his wife, whose maiden name was Anna Schoweiler, now reside. They have had four children: Cecelia, Theresa (Mrs. John Schierts), Ferdinand, and Clarence.
Webmaster's Note: John Plein's biography was attached to the Joseph H. Freeze biography in the source book. I do not know if he is related to John H. Plein (above) or Mary Plein Williams (below).
Webmaster's Note: I am including here the obituary
of Mary Plein Williams, 07/29/1872 ~ 04/06/1925. She was the first wife of
Zene Williams. A year after she died, Zene married Mara Harnack Timm, the
widow of Adolph Timm, my ex-husband's great-uncle. I do not know if Mary Plein
is related to either of the Pleins mentioned above.
Podein, Carl F. (page 464), an active and enterprising farmer residing in section 12, Oakwood Township, was born in Germany, September 20, 1883, son of Carl and Sophia (Jacobs) Podein. The father was a native of France and the mother of Germany. They came to America, and to Wabasha County, Minn, in 1880, locating in Plainview Township, where they farmed for about 14 years, the father dying in 1894. His widow is now residing in Plainview. Their son, Carl F., was educated in the common and high schools of Plainview, and after relinquishing his studies worked for about a year on the home farm, after which he purchased his present farm of 217 acres in section 12, Oakwood. On this property he has built a good house, windmill, all the outbuildings except the granary, and in 1920 erected a modern barn, 36 by 82 feet, with full basement. His place is well stocked with Durham cattle, Chester-White swine and Shropshire sheep, and its production of stock and crops provide him with a good income. Mr. Podein was the first member of the Millville Co-operative Co., dealing in grain and all farm products. He was elected town supervisor in 1913, and through re-elections has served continuously in the same office ever since. A man of much energy, good business ability, and sterling common sense, he has proved himself a useful citizen and dependable town official and is widely respected. Mr. Podein was married August 16, 1905, to Clara A. Villwock, who was born August 20, 1881, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. August Villwock. Four children have come to brighten their home, namely: Clarence E., born June 20, 1906; August (deceased); Arthur C., born April 23, 1910, and John, born May 29, 1916. Mr. Podein and his family are members of the Evangelical Lutheran church.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Polson, Emric (page 529), a veteran of the Civil War, and an early settler in Wabasha County, who is now living retired at Millville, was born in Sweden, October 23, 1835, son of Paul and Gusie (Johnson) Polson. The father died in his native land and the mother subsequently came to the United States. Emric came to this country alone in 1857, being then 22 years old. For three years he resided in Illinois, engaged in farming. Soon after the breaking out of the Civil War he enlisted in Company E, Eighth Illinois Cavalry, with which organization he served 18 months, taking part in many engagements, including the important battles of Antietam and Fredericksburg. In 1863 he was discharged, but re-enlisted and served until the close of the war. He then came to Wabasha County, Minn., and homesteaded land in Oakwood Township, the tract being unimproved except fort the existence of a log cabin. It contained 160 acres, which in time he cleared, erecting buildings and developing a good farm. There he followed general agriculture until his retirement in 1918, giving a part of his attention to stock raising and dairying. He was one of the stockholders of the Millville creamery, which he helped to organize, and also one of the organizers of, and a stockholder in the Millville State Bank. He is a member of the G.A.R. and of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Polson was married January 13, 1869, on his farm in Oakwood Township to Sophie Johnson, who was born in the same part of Sweden as himself, and who is now residing with him in Millville at the home of their daughter, Mrs. Enoc Utigard. He and his wife have had twelve children, of whom eight are now living: Paul, a resident of Lake City; August, of Shovel Lake, Minn.; Carl, who is in the real estate business at Millville; William, who owns the old home farm, on which he resides; Jennie, who married Albert Olson, a farmer; Manda, wife of Julius Blattener, a farmer of Oakwood; Sarah, wife of Albert Thompson, a farmer in Oakwood; and Emma, wife of Enoc Utigard, a machinist of Millville. Those deceased are: Lena, Aaron, Oscar and an unnamed infant. Mr. Polson is a man with an interesting career, the early part of which, when he was making history, was crammed full of adventure, and his early pioneer days in Wabasha County were not untinged with romance. He always bore himself as a man, and he and his wife are widely known and highly esteemed, having brought up a large family to be useful men and women. Mr. and Mrs. Polson celebrated their Golden Wedding on January 13, 1919.
Polson, Paul J. (page 462), who until recently was numbered among the agricultural population of Oakwood Township, but is now living retired in Lake City, was born in Oakwood Township, January 14, 1875, son of Emeric and Sophia (Johnson) Polson. He was reared in that township, and at an early age had to assist his father on the farm, but attended District School 44 during the winters up to the age of nineteen. Until 1898 he continued to assist his fathers, but in that year a change occurred in his life, as he was united in marriage May 26, 1898, with Martha Nass, daughter of Holvar and Bertha Nass of Oakwood Township. In the spring of the same year he bought a farm of 133 acres in sections 16 and 21, Oakwood Township. It was an improved farm, but with poor buildings. In 1902 he bought 160 acres in section 22, which gave him a farm of 293 acres, of which he put 220 under the plow, leaving the remainder in pasture and timber. He also erected a good set of buildings. Mr. Polson carried on general farming, but gave his chief attention to stock raising, keeping from 65 to 70 head of grade Shorthorn cattle, and from 50 to 60 Chester-White hogs, also grade animals, his market being Millville, three and a quarter miles distant. He continued farming until November 1, 1919, when, having acquired a competence, he retired and took up his residence in Lake City, buying a fine house and three acres on Lyon avenue. He is a stockholder in the Millville State Bank, and was treasurer of the Farmers' Co-operative Elavator, and was a stockholder in the Millville Co-operative Creamery. In politics Mr. Polson is a Republican. During his active career on the farm he was one of the most prominetnt citizens of his township and served ten years or more as chairman of the town board. His wife, who was born in Sweden, May 26, 1877, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Oakwood, to which Mr. Polson also belongs, and which he served as trustee for several years.
Polson, William O. (page 375), a prominent farmer of Oakwood Township, operating 240 acres, was born on his present farm, September 9, 1884, son of Emric and Sophie (Johnson) Polson. His education was acquired in rural district No. 44, and he was subsequently associated with his father in agricultural operations on the home farm until 1918. He then bought the property, which includes 240 acres, located in sections 21 and 28, and is here engaged in diversified farming and stock raising, keeping Shorthorn cattle, for general purposes, and Chester-White hogs. His operations are conducted on a scientific and profitable basis, the farm, capably managed, proving a good source of income. Mr. Polson is a member of the Farmers' Shipping Association at Millville. He was married, June 14, 1917, to Lela Olin, who was born in Brainerd, Minn., March 25, 1897, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Caleb Olin. Their union has been blessed with two children: Emric O., born May 24, 1918; and Paul F., born October 24, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Polson attend the Methodist Episcopal church.
Posz, Albert Daniel, who is successfully engaged in the produce business in Plainview, as a member of the firm of H. J. O'Connell & Co., was born in Covington, Ky., February 15, 1878, son of Jacob and Katherine (Nuss) Posz. He was but an infant of one year when he was brought by his parents to Lewiston, Minn., where he subsequently attended the public schools. He began industrial life as fireman on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, being thus occupied for two years, during which time he resided at Huron, S. D. Then returning to Lewiston, he engaged in the meat business, which he followed there until 1907. In that year he went to Independence, Benton County, Ore., and was there associated in the meat business with his brother-in-law, J. P. Linden, until the following year, after which he followed the same business in Lewiston, Minn., until 1911. He then came to Plainview, where he was associated with his brother Charles in the produce business until the spring of 1912, and during the next two years he was in the same business for himself. In 1916, Mr. Posz became a partner in the firm of H. J. O'Connell & Co., produce merchants, and has so continued up to the present time. The firm does a very flourishing business in buying and shipping various kinds of produce to the amount of about 300 car loads a season. They also grow about 40 acres of produce themselves yearly, and are one of the many thriving houses of this kind in Plainview. Mr. Posz is a Royal Arch Mason, and belongs also to the Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Yeomen. He was married, November 3, 1907, to Mary E. Gaylord, of Nebraska, who was born May 23, 1889. The children of this marriage are: Everett D., born January 20, 1911; Mary E., born October 25, 1912, and Dosey, born May 28, 1916. Mr. Posz and his family attend the Congregational church.
Posz, Charles, commission merchant, and one of the live forces in the business prosperity of Plainview, was born in Covington, Ky., August 18, 1871, son of Jacob and Katherine (Nuss) Posz. He was educated in the public schools of Lewiston, Minn., the Winona Business College, and at the Elmhurst College at Elmhurst, Ill. He was but eight years old when he settled in Lewiston with his parents, and after leaving college he engaged in the real estate and insurance business there, which he carried on very successfully until 1904. In that year he came to Plainview and opened a restaurant and ice cream parlor, which he conducted for two years. He then sold out and engaged in the commission and produce business, which line of industry he has since followed to such good effect that he is now the recognized leader in it in Plainview. From year to year he has enlarged the business both in volume and variety. His sales each season amount to over 600 car loads, and include for the most part, cabbages, onions and potatoes. He also handles seeds, plants and some poultry, his seed sales covering a large and increasing territory and approximating $20,000 for the last season. It was he who originated the plan of shipping in the early cabbage plants, which has proved so beneficial to the cabbage grower. The Posz Produce and Storage Plant, of which he is the sole owner, is the largest in the village, if not in southern Minnesota, and is the result of his individual ability and enterprise. In addition to his large interests connected therewith, he is president of the Posz Motor Company, handling the Cleveland-Chandler and Dodge Bros. Motor cars. In fact there are few new and important business projects undertaken in the village with which he is not connected, and his foresight, energy and experience are potent factors in ensuring their success. The Business Men's Club numbers him among its most useful members. He also belongs to a number of the more prominent fraternal societies, being a thirty-second degree Mason, and an Odd Fellow, Woodman, Yeoman, and Elk. Mr. Posz was married, May 7, 1895, to Tillie Schmutzler, who was born in Lewiston, Winona County, Minn., November 24, 1871. Of this union two daughters have been born: Florence H., April 5, 1896; and Helen L., October 9, 1900. Florence H., after graduating from the Plainview high school in the class of 1915, was a pupil for one year in Carlton College, at Northfield, Minn. She was later graduated from the Winona State Normal School, and is now a proficient teacher in the third grade of the Plainview public schools. Helen L., who was graduated from the Plainview high school in the class of 1918, is now a student in the Winona State Normal School. The religious affiliations of the family are with the Methodist Episcopal church.
Posz, Jacob, for many years a well known citizen in southeastern Minnesota, especially in Winona County, was a substantial, genial man, of excellent standing in the community and of sterling worth. He was the friend of all, his private benefactions were many, and he died in the respect and honor of the community. Jacob Posz was born in Billingheim, Rheinfalz, Bavaria, April 28, 1845. In 1869 he came to America and found his way to Winona, whither several relatives had preceded him. There he was married by the venerable Rev. Philip Von Rohr, to Katherine Nuss, who had come to America on the same ship. From Winona they went to Covington, Ky., where Mr. Posz was employed for many years in the foundry and iron- working business. In 1879 he came to Lewiston, in Winona County, this state, and there engaged in business for the rest of his life. He died April 28, 1897. Mrs. Katherine Nuss Posz, who was born in 1847, died February 2, 1884. She was a faithful wife and loyal and understanding mother, and their home life was ideal. To her husband she bore eight children: Anna, Charles, Katherine, Millie, Al. D., Dora, Marie and Jacob. Anna, born March 30, 1870, is the wife of J. P. Linden; Charles, born in 1871, is in the produce business in Plainview. Katherine, born March 25, 1873, is the wife of Robert Simon, of Forest Grove, Ore. Millie is the wife of B. A. Shaver, of Salem, Ore. Al. D., born February 15, 1878, is in the produce business in Plainview. Dora, born November 6, 1880, is the wife of Michael Hoffman, of Lewiston, this state. Marie, born May 6, 1882, is the wife of Bert Sorenson, of Kasson, Minn. Jacob died in infancy. For his second wife Jacob Posz married Margaret Cartarins. She died in 1891. This union resulted in two children: Fred, born at Deer Creek, Minn., June 6, 1887, and Elizabeth, born in Winona, July 28, 1885.
Pretzer, George J. (page 464), a representative Wabasha County farmer, whose farm lies in three townships, was born in Oakwood Township, Wabasha county, Minn., June 4, 1864, son of William and Caroline (Schultz) Pretzer. He acquired his education in a district school in Elgin Township and worked for his father until 1894. For two years subsequently he operated a rented farm near Elgin Village, and after that, for a year, another farm south of Potsdam. In 1897 he bought the home farm of his father, consisting of 149 acres in section 5, Elgin Township, 40 acres in Oakwood Township, and 80 acres in Zumbro Township, making a total of 269 acres. In 1910 Mr. Putnam (sic) built a new basement barn, 34 by 50 feet, and in addition has a substantial and comfortable residence and good outbuildings. As a general farmer and stock raiser, breeding high grade swine, he is making a financial success. He is a member of the school board of District No. 96, Elgin Township, and religiously is affiliated with the German Lutheran church. On December 5, 1895, Mr. Pretzer was married to Nettie Schuchard, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Schuchard. He and his wife have been the parents of seven children, five of whom are now living. Their record in brief is as follows: Arthur R. W., born August 18, 1896, was drafted into the U. S. Army May 28, 1918, becoming a member of the 108th Infantry Replacement Company. He sailed for France August 8, 1918, took part in the fighting in the Argonne Forest, was wounded September 28, 1918, and discharged March 24, 1919. He is now at home. George A., born November 30, 1897, was drafted into the army October 24, 1918, going to Camp Forrest, Ga., where he was stationed two months. He was discharged December 26, 1919, at Camp Dodge, Ia., and is now at home. Mabel T., born May 1, 1898, is residing at home and so is Clarence W., born January 23, 1900. Ella L., September 13, 1902, died April 4, 1917. The two youngest, who are on the home farm are: Gilbert E., born January 19, 1904; and Caroline A., born September 16, 1906, who died in 1908. William Pretzer, father of George J. Pretzer, was a native of Germany, who came to America in the early fifties, settling in Oakwood Township, Wabasha County, Minn., where he resided for the rest of his life except for thirteen years that he spent in Sough Dakota. After his retirement from active work he lived in Plainview Village until his death, which took place February 6, 1918. His wife Caroline died August 16, 1914. They were the parents of ten children, namely: William, George, Robert, Hulda, Martha, Lydia, Paul, Emma, Henry and Claire. Hulda is now Mrs. Frank Pagel of Rochester, Martha is the wife of George Dickman of the same place, Lydia is the wife of Carl Quale, Emma the wife of Louis Andrea, and Claire the wife of Laud Andrea. Henry is now deceased.
Puetz, Paul (page 667), who ranks among the energetic and prosperous farmers of Watopa Township, was born in this township, August 8, 1871, son os Hubert and Mary (Henkels) Puetz. The father was born in Luxemburg and the mother in Germany. They came to America in the early fifties, settling in Iowa. From that state they came in 1864 to Wabasha County, Minnesota, buying government land, on which they engaged in mixed farming until Hubert Puetz's death on July 6, 1874. His wife is still living, being a resident of Minneapolis. She is a member of the Catholic church, as was also her husband. They had seven children, Maggie, Kate, Mary, Paul, Lizzie, Joseph and Matthias, the two last mentioned being now deceased. Paul Puetz was too young at his father's death to long remember him. As he grew older he worked on the farm for his mother, his education being acquired in the district school. In 1893 he rented the home farm and operated it on his own account for four years. In 1897 he bought his present farm of 240 acres in sections 18 and 19, Watopa Township, on which he has since erected most of the buildings, besides making general repairs and bringing the farm into good condition. He has served 25 years as a member of district school board No. 81, and is fraternally affiliated with the Modern Brotherhood of America and the Knights of Columbus. He is also a member of the Catholic church. Mr. Puetz was united in marriage, November 22, 1898, with Margaret Lehnertz, daughter of peter and Mary (Lehnertz, her parents being natives of Luxemburg who, on coming to this country, settled first in Winona County, Minnesota, whence they later removed to Wabasha County and here for a number of years were engaged in agriculture. They are now retired and reside at St. Charles, Winona County. Mr. Lehnertz, born August 24, 1847, is now 73 years old. Mrs. Lehnertz, born November 25, 1855, is 65 years old. Their children, of whom they had 14, were Josephine, Henry, Margaret, Rosa, Celia, Louie, Julia, Clara, Louie, Otto, Lora, Lucy, Lillian and Herbert. Of these children Celia, Louie (first) and Clara are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Paul Puetz are the parents of ten children, who were born as follows: Joseph P., May 22, 1900; Paul P. January 7, 1903; Catherine M., July 9, 1904; Theresa M., March 29, 1906; Mollian J., March 17, 1908; Francis C., March 1, 1910; Walter J., December 30, 1911; Henry L., June 6, 1913; Loretta R., July 11, 1915; and Raymond N., June 20, 1917.
Pugh, David, one of the pioneers of Wabasha County, now deceased, was born in Wales, April 16, 1839. In 1856, a young man of 17, he accompanied his parents to the United States, the family coming west as far as Milwaukee, where David remained until 1858. He then went to St. Louis, in which city he resided for about four years. In 1862, he came to the river, and, settling at a point near Wabasha villaga, entered the employ of a steamboat company, being thus occupied until 1867. After that he followed the occupation fo raftsman for two years, and then, in 1869, turned his attention to farming. Buying 140 acres in section 2, Greenfield Township, he built a log house, which he occupied for two years until he was able to erect a better residence. He also put up other necessary buildings, and for about 36 years thereafter was engaged in general farming and stock raising, or until his death on June 30, 1905. Mr. Pugh was a man held in high respect by his fellow citizens and neighbors for his sterling personal qualities, and as one of the hardy pioneers of this county who had taken an active part in its development. He was married October 18, 1874, to Josephine Bush, daughter of Mr., and Mrs. Jacob Bush, her parents being natives of Canada, who came to Wabasha County in 1854, and spent the rest of their lives in Wabasha village. Mr. And Mrs. Pugh had a large family, numbering 11 children, namely: Hugh A., born September 10, 1876; Mary B., May 19, 1878; Susan E., January 6, 1880; Jacob H., November 4, 1882; David W., December 6, 1884; Cora E., December 28, 1886; Della E., January 15, 1890; Anna L., March 15,1892; James O. May 15, 1894; Margaret M., September 4, 1897; and Owen F., August 15, 1900. Mary B. became the wife of Joseph Felix, Susan E., the wife of Reed Hovel, and Della E., the wife of Robert Braun. Anna L. died at the age of nearly 19 months on February 18, 1911. Since her husband's death Mrs. Pugh has made valuable improvements on the farm, having erected a fine residence, barn and other buildings. The farm is located on what is known as Pugh's Point, commanding one of the finest views on the Mississippi river, and in the vicinity are some handsome summer homes.
Purcell, George J.
Putnam, Alzis Z., a resident of the village of Minneiska, and who for many years served as probate judge of Wabasha County, was born in the town of Florence, Oneida County, N. Y., October 1, 1829, son of Pliny and Flora (Edgerton) Putnam. He is a descendant in the eighth generation of one of the early settlers of New England, John Putnam, who arrived from England in 1634, and located at Salem, Mass. Of the three sons of John Putnam, one was the ancestor of the subject of this sketch, and another of General Israel Putnam, of Revolutionary fame. Judge Putnam's great grandfather on the paternal side, and also his grandfather, Capt. Joseph Putnam, fought against the British at the battle of Bunker Hill. When the subject of this sketch was six or eight years old, his parents moved to Oswego County, N. Y., where he attended school. Another migration of the family transferred his home to Chautaugua County, where his education was continued, until his parents moved to northern Illinois. In Elgin, that state, he later read law with the firm of Morgan & Joslin, and was there admitted to the bar in 1856. In the fall of the same year he moved to Wabasha County, Minn., and up his residence in the village of Minneiska, where he has ever since remained. His record as a member of the bar has been long and honorable, and he is now the oldest living member of his profession in the county. In the fall of 1859 he was elected to the office of probate judge, and served four years, his only predecessors in that office having been H. P. Wilson, 1856; G. F. Childs, 1857; and B. C. Baldwin, 1858-9. He was again elected to the same office in 1871, and served two terms, and in 1882 he was elected for the third time, after which he held the same office at intervals for a considerable number of years, and he continues to do a little probate business even up to the present time. In addition to his legal practice, Judge Putnam engaged in the insurance business, about 1860, and has since continued in it, though in late years but slightly, as advancing years have led to his practical retirement. In earlier times he took a more or less active part in local affairs of a public character, serving for a number of years as a member and chairman of the board of supervisors for a number of years as a member and chairman of the board of supervisors of the county, of which he first became a member about 1858; also as village recorder for six or eight years. He was married in Chautaugua County, N. Y., in 1848, to Jane Elizabeth Fuller, a native of that county, who died in Minneiska, Minn., in 1906, at the age of 76 years. Of this marriage there was one child, Flora Eugenia, who was born January 21, 1849, in Arkwright, Chautaugua County, N. Y. She was married January 12, 1867, to Gustav Edward Kading, a native of Brandenberg, Prussia, Germany, who died January 1, 1870, since which time Mrs. Kading has resided with her father, Judge Putnam, at his comfortable home in Minneiska, commanding a picturesque view of the Mississippi River, and opposite the bluffs of the Wisconsin shore. Judge Putnam and his daughter are among the most highly respected residents of this part of Wabasha County. They are people of refinement and education, Mrs. Kading being well Versed in French, German, Spanish and Italian, and their home is well supplied with the best books and magazines. They are members of the Episcopal church, although unable to attend services here, as there is no church of that denomination in the village.
Notes from a fellow genealogist: I would like to find a picture of this man and it seems that there might be one, given how active he was in the community. If anyone has any information concerning this, please contact Betty
Putnam, Edgar W., who owns and operates a farm of 160 acres in section 21, Elgin Township, was born in Whitewater Township, Winona County, Minn., February 19, 1874, son of Charles and Hattie (Irwin) Putnam. He was educated in a district school in Glendale Valley, and his early years were spent on his parents' farm. In 1894 he began to learn the trade of wagon- maker, at which he worked until 1898, when he went back to the home farm and remained there until 1907. In the latter year he bought his present farm of 160 acres in section 21, Elgin Township. He has improved this place by the erection of a new barn, a silo and out-buildings, and has also a very comfortable residence. His farm is one of the best of its size in the township, and Mr. Putnam is numbered among the township's enterprising and prosperous citizens. He is a member of the local Masonic Lodge and of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Putnam was united in marriage August 14, 1907, to Lelia Crawford, and he and his wife are the parents of four children: Arva M., born May 18, 1908; Ray E., December 24, 1909; Hawley R., December 9, 1912; and Leslie M., January 1, 1914.
Putnam, William S., who for some years operated
a farm of 170 acres lying partly in Watopa Township, was born in New York
State, March 15, 1857, son of Nahum and Elizabeth (Ingersol) Putnam. When
a boy he came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, with his parents and was educated
in the Plainview village school. After remaining at home until 1877, he began
working out, doing farm labor in Wabasha County until 1881. He then went to
North Dakota, where he worked for his brother for a while. Having taken a
claim of 160 acres in Dickey County, that state, he proved it up in 1885,
and later took a homestead of 160 acres in the same county, making a total
of 320 acres. In 1885 Mr. Putnam moved his family to North Dakota and there
resided until 1889, when he sold his farm and returned to Wabasha County,
Minnesota. After that, until 1892, he was engaged in farm labor for others.
He began agricultural operations for himself again by renting a small farm
in Highland Township, afterwards rented the Geister farm for a while, and
in 1898 bought 80 acres in section 25, Watopa Township. Later he added to
his farm by purchasing 90 acres in Minneiska Township, making a total of 170
acres, on which he built a house, where he was killed May 30, 1906. Mr. Putnam
was a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Wabasha County, and also
of the Modern Woodmen of America. Religiously he was affiliated with the Methodist
Episcopal church. He was married November 1, 1881, to Rose Stadler, daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. George Stadler of Watopa Township. Five children were the
issue of this marriage, namely: Frank M., born July 27, 1882, who died in
infancy; George E., born December 11, 1883, who now owns the home farm, his
mother keeping house for him; Wallace C., born October 7, 1886, who resides
near Beaver, Minn.; Myrtle M., born May 7, 1891, who married Walter Timm;
and Violet M., born May 1, 1895, who is the wife of John Gage of Trout Valley.
Mrs. Putnam owns 40 acres in section 34, which is operated by her son, George