Rahilly, Patrick H.
Reding, Stephen J. (p. 753), for a number of years a substantial farmer and esteemed citizen of Chester Township, whose life came to a sudden and tragic end on October 26, 1918, was born in Sheldon Township, Wyoming county, N. Y., December 31, 1868, son of Stephan and Josephine (Peiry) Reding. In 1870, when two years old, he accompanied his parents to Goodhue County, Minn., where he was reared to manhood, the family home being in the vicinity of Crystal Spring, Belvidere township. For a number of years he worked for his father, and subsequently rented 160 acres of his father in Goodhue County. He later bought a farm of 160 acres in section 16, and 80 in section 17, Chester Township, Wabasha county, which he subsequently developed and brought into excellent condition, remodeling the house and erecting a good barn, and where he carried on general farming and stock raising with profitable results until his death, which was the result of an automobile accident. On the afternoon of Saturday, October 26, 1918, Mr. Reding and his son Nicholas had motored to Wabasha to transact business with the local draft board. They left the city at about 4 p.m. to return home. Not far from the railroad tracks the car sloughed or was leaving the road. Probably in endeavoring to bring it back in the road too sudden a turn was made at any rate the car made a complete turn forward, landing again on the wheels and throwing out Mr. Reding and his son. The latter regained consciousness in a short time, and on looking for his father found him lying in the road a short distance away, devoid of life. His skull was fractured, some of his ribs broken and he had sustained other serious injuries. Nicholas suffered no injuries except some cuts on his forehead. Aid was summoned and the Knights of Columbus of Mazeppa took charge of the remains and brought them to his former home on Sunday. The funeral was one of the largest ever held at Belvidere. About 75 Knights of Columbus from neighboring towns were among those present. Mr. Reding was a man held in high esteem for his probity, genial manners, and all the qualities of a good neighbor and a good citizen. His death left a void that was hard to fill and was mourned by the entire community. Stephan J. Reding was married August 29, 1893, to Susan Arendt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Philip Arendt of Chester township, whose farm in section 8 now comprises 795 acres of land. In 1901 her parents moved to Little Falls, Morrison County, Minn., where Mrs. Arendt died in 1909. Mr. Arendt now resides at Maple Lake, Wright county. They had a family of 15 children: Nicholas, Susan, Josephine (first), Josephine (second), Mary, Peter, August, Katherine, Margaret, Frank, Rose, Lena, John, Joseph and Stephan. The first Josephine died in infancy, and the second of the name, who became Sister Theclita, of Notre Dame Convent, Milwaukee, died May 22, 1906. August, John and Stephan are also deceased. Margaret is now Sister Agneta of Notre Dame Convent, Milwaukee. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Stephan J. Reding, ten in number, were born as follows: John, August 4, 1894; Mary B., January 25, 1896; Philip D., July 18, 1897; Nicholas L., October 18, 1898; Leo P., February 4, 1900; Bert L., August 25, 1901; Florence H., September 25, 1903; Katherine C., January 1, 1905; Veronica M., January 6, 1910; and Evelyn M., December 9, 1912. John was drafted into the United States service September 5, 1918, becoming a member of the 334th Headquarters Company. He was discharged December 9, 1919. Philip D. was drafted October 24, 1918. He was discharged in 1919 and on August 10, 1920, married Gertrude Musty of Red Wing. Mary B. is now the wife of Lawrence Majerus, of Chester Township.
Notes from fellow genealogist Nancy
Archdekin: I think the info in the bio is in error on his date of birth and the year they
moved to MN. I found Stephen
& Mary J in Belvidere, MN in the 1870 census:
Reading, Stephen, 39?, M, Farmer, born Lux
Mary J, 31, F, Keep House, born Lux
Henry, 6, M, born NY
Stephen N, 6, M, born NY
Albert J, 4, M, born MN
Frank P, 2, M, born MN
Peter, 24, M, Farm Lab, born Lux
Looks like they may have moved when he was 2 years old, but it was more likely in 1865 or 1866. Of course, the census also has it's share of errors (like the Stephen N), but his age and place of birth fits with the baptism record I found in Sheldon. And Henry was baptized in Sheldon in 1861, so he wasn't 6 in 1870.
Reich, Henry W. (page 436), operating the Lone Pine farm in section 13, Elgin Township, was born in Elgin Township, May 17, 1870, son of Herman and Annie (Mathews) Reich. In his boyhood he attended district school in Elgin Township, and also the school in Plainview village. On his parents' farm he thoroughly learned agriculture in its different branches, and continued to work for his father until 1910, in which year he rented a farm in Elgin Township on which he resided until 1912. He then rented his father's farm of 120 acres in section 13, which is known as Lone Pine Farm, and which he is now operating with good financial results, doing general farming and stock raising. He has made a number of improvements on the place, including the erection of a garage and outbuildings. Mr. Reich was married December 14, 1911, to Delia Hostettler, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Hostettler, who was born July 8, 1881, her parents being members of the Old Settlers' Association of Plainview. The home circle of Mr. and Mrs. Reich has been enlarged by the birth of two children: Anna M., born October 6, 1916; and James H., born March 29, 1918. Religiously Mr. and Mrs. Reich are affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church.
Reich, Herman (page 253), who passed away at his home on High Street, Plainview, Saturday morning, June 26, 1915, was an early settler in the county, and one of the best known among the older residents of the village. He was born in Germany, March 25, 1846, and came to America with his parents at the age of eight years. The father died in New York, leaving his wife and eleven children to mourn his loss. Subsequently the family, of whom Herman was the youngest member, located in Ripon, Wisconsin, where he attended school. In October, 1868, being then a young man in his twenty-third year, he came to Wabasha county, Minnesota, and engaged in agriculture in Greenwood Prairie, Elgin Township. In 1870 he was married to Anna J. Mathews, and for 43 years he and his wife labored industriously on their farm two miles west of Plainview, until failing health induced them to move to town, where they purchased a comfortable residence. The history of their early privations would make a romantic story, and in his later years Mr. Reich was sometimes accustomed to indulge in interesting reminiscences of that early period, during which his wife was the faithful companion of the joys and sorrows, as well as of his labors. Those days and years of strenuous toil developed in him the qualities of thrift, frugality and prudence, with many other fine traits of character which endeared him to a large circle of friends, who sometimes gathered around him and enjoyed a visit to this hospitable home. For some time previous to his death he had been in poor health, yet the end came as a severe shock to his family and friends. The funeral services were held at his home Tuesday afternoon, June 29, the Rev. J. R. Hitchcock, of the M. E. church, to which Mr. Reich and his family belonged, and the Rev. H. C. Todd, of the Congregational church, a close friend of the deceased, making appropriated remarks. Representatives of the Masonic and Odd Fellows' lodges were in attendance, and conducted the services at the grave. A number of relatives, some from distant points, also attended the funeral. Mr. Reich was one of the charter members of the Farmers' Co-operative Creamery, and was also interested in the first local telephone company. For over 30 years he had been a member of the Odd Fellows, and for over 20 years of the Masonic order, having been one of the organizers of the Elgin lodge. For some time, also, he was an active and useful member of the school board. To Mr. and Mrs. Reich were born eight children: Henry W., Edward H., Albert J., Jennie I., John S., Anna Mary, Mollie L. and Stephen Mathew. Henry W., who now lives on the old Reich farm in Elgin Township, married Celia Hostettler, and has two children, Anna Mary and James Henry. Edward H. is a resident of St. Paul, Minn. Albert J., now of Oakwood Township, married Emma Stephan, and has three children, Jennie I., Luella H., and Esther Louise. Jennie I. Is the wife of Ernest Wedge, and the mother of three children. John S. is residing at home. Emma Mary is now Mrs. Fred Weikel, of Plainview. Mollie L. is the wife of Lewis Hostettler, of Elgin, and has two children, Edward L. and Stella May. Stephen Mathew, who lives in St. Paul, married Carrie Hanson, and has two children, Herman Stephen and Gilbert Paul. Mrs. Anna J. Reich, widow of the subject of this sketch, was born at Horsehead, Chemung County, New York, daughter of Henry E. and Jane E. (Clark) Mathews, the father being a native of New York State and the mother of Ireland. Mr. Mathews' business was that of a cigar manufacturer. Mrs. Mathews died when her daughter Anna J., was 13 years old, and three years later, in 1868, the latter accompanied her father and the other members of the family to Greenwood Prairie, Wabasha county, Minnesota. The journey was made by rail to La Crosse, then up the Mississippi river on the steamer Keokuk to Winona, and thence overland to their destination. After residing on his farm for three years, he returned East, but two years later came back to Wabasha county. Mrs. Reich's marriage has already been related. Since his death she has continued to reside at their old home in Plainveiw. Although the eldest of her parents' children, she is the only one now living. For twelve years she has been a member of the Rebekah lodge here, in which she has held various offices, serving now as treasurer; for six years she has belonged to the eastern Star Chapter, and for ten years has been a member of the Woman's Relief Corps. Her social activities have made her widely known, and among her friends and acquaintances she is esteemed as a willing worker and an agreeable companion, as she has been a faithful wife and kind and loving mother.
Reifkogel, J. W.
Reimers, John (page 526), who was in former years a successful farmer and prominent citizen of Oakwood Township, was born in Holstein, Germany, where he grew to manhood and married Katherine Reier. Coming to the United States in 1853, they located first in Cook County, Illinois, of which they were residents 15 years. In 1868 they came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, and settled on a farm in Oakwood Township, where they spent many years in agriculture, in time becoming prosperous. In their latter years they turned the farm over to their son-in-law, and retired to Rochester, where Mr. Reimers died in 1895, and Mrs. Reimers in 1903. They had also two daughters: Margaret, now wife of C. H. Siem, of Elgin; and Katherine, who is deceased.
Reiter, Emil W. (p. 463), a retired farmer residing in Elgin Village, was born in Posen, Prussia, Germany, June 6, 1862. At the age of ten years, in 1872, with his parents, Fred and Ameliage (Myer) Reiter, he came to the United States, the family settling first in Buffalo, N. Y. In 1877 they came to Minnesota, Locating in Elgin Township, Wabasha County, where Emil began working out on farms. By 1891 he had become a good, practical farmer, with ambitions looking to an independent career in that industry, and accordingly he rented a farm in Farmington Township, Olmsted County, where he resided until the following year. He then bought a farm of 160 acres in sections 7 and 8, Elgin Township, on which he made a number of valuable improvements, in 1913 building a basement barn 36 by 60 feet, and a good house and out-buildings. As a general farmer and stock raiser he made good progress and acquired a competence upon which he retired in 1918. The farm is now being operated by his son, Clarence. Mr. Reiter was married June 17, 1891, to Molly Boie, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. John Boie, and the issue of this marriage is three children: Helen, born December 6, 1893, now Mrs. Oscar Benike of Rochester; Clarence, born August 17, 1896; and Elna, born May 26, 1905. Mr. Reiter and his family are members of the Lutheran church, and are well known and respected in Elgin and the vicinity. He is a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Elgin.
Reiter, Julius (p. 556), an early settler in Plainview Township, who subsequently through industry, perseverance and sound judgment achieved a notable success, becoming one of the most prominent and well-to-do citizens in the southern part of Wabasha County, was born in the province of Posen, Prussia, Germany. He was there married to Henrietta Wegner, and a few years after emigrated with his family to America, landing in this country June 19, 1868. His first settlement was made in Olmsted County, Minn., where he remained through the harvest, in the fall of the same year locating in Elgin Township, Wabasha County. There he remained for a few years working out. In 1874 he bought 80 acres in section 7, Plainview Township, on which he built a residence and outbuildings and began to establish a home. From time to time he bought more land until he owned 425 acres in sections 7, 8 and 5, and also 160 acres in Elgin Township, making a total of 580 acres. In addition to conducting a large and successful farming business, he helped to organize the First National Bank of Plainview, and was for many years a director of the Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company. For a long time also he was chairman of the board of trustees of the Lutheran church, and acted as secretary for the society. After retiring from farm work, he resided for some years in Plainview village, where he served as a member of the village council. He is now living retired in Pine Island, Goodhue County, and is president of the First National Bank of McGregor, Minn. He and his wife have been the parents of a family numbering twelve children: W. O., now a prosperous farmer and prominent citizen living in section 5, Plainview Township; Augusta, the wife of Emil Schwantz, of Elgin Township; J. J., of Rochester, Minn.; E. H., also of Rochester; A. F. and E. F., of Pine Island, Minn.; Bertha, wife of August Hanson, of Louisberg, Minn.; Anna, deceased; Laura, now Mrs. August Greiger, of Louisville, Minn.; A. G., of McGregor, Minn.; Ida, wife of William Boice, of Appleton, Minn., and G. A., of McGregor, Minn.
Reiter, William O. (p. 557) who was one of the active and enterprising citizens of Plainview Township, where he made a record as a capable and successful farmer, was born in the province of Posen, Prussia, Germany, October 24, 1864, son of Julius and Henrietta (Wegner) Reiter. He was a young child when he accompanied his parents to the United States, residing with them a short time in Olmsted County, Minn., then in Elgin Township, Wabasha County, where he attended school, and later, after 1874, in Plainview Township, where his studies were continued until his services were needed on the home farm. Under his father's mentorship he acquired a practical knowledge of agriculture, and when 24 years old began farming for himself on an 80-acre farm in section 5, Plainview Township, on which the buildings consisted of a few old shacks. He later bought the west "eighty" in the same section, on which he spent the rest of his life, and where he died very suddenly July 13, 1920. He had erected a fine set of buildings, including a house, barns, and various outbuildings. One of these is a circle barn 60 feet in diameter, a frame structure with stone basement, equipped with the most approved modern conveniences. After taking possession of that property Mr. Reiter followed diversified farming and stock raising, and having been a hard worker, well equipped with practical knowledge, he achieved gratifying results. In other respects, also, Mr. Reiter was what is colloquially termed today a "live wire." He was a member of the American Society of Equity and was its vice president in 1907 and 1908. He was a member and active worker in the Non-Partisan League, being president of the County League and also of the local Union, and was chairman of the Non-Partisan League of Plainview. For four years he served as assessor of the township. He was one of the organizers of the Plainview Co-operative Creamery and was its president for many years. He was vice president of the Wabasha County Leader, published at Wabasha. Religiously a Lutheran, he served as secretary of the local congregation. Mr. Reiter was married, December 6, 1888, to Bertha Kuhlmann, of Elgin, who was born in Farmington Township, Olmsted County, Minn., October 27, 1869. Of this union seven children were born: Amalia H., July 12, 1890; Elenora E., November 23, 1892; Elsie C., February 10, 1894; Elmer J., September 30, 1900; Edna B., August 23, 1902; Walter A., July 19, 1896, and Herbert W., July 12, 1894. The two last mentioned are now deceased, Walter A. having died February 28, 1901, and Herbert W., March 23, 1907. Amalia H. is the wife of John Zabel, of Elgin Township, and has four children, Roth, Durward, Thelma and Anita. Elenora E. is now Mrs. George Lamprecht, of Plainview Township, and has one child, Forest. Elsie C. is the wife of Adolph Zabel, of Plainview Township. Elmer J. and Edna B. are residing at home with their mother.
Contact Fellow Genealogist: Wilma
Contact Fellow Genealogist: Debra
Contact Fellow Genealogist: Jim
Rheingans, Henry W. (page 348), who owns and operates a farm of 160 acres in section 19, Oakwood Township, was born in this township, June 15, 1880, son of Jacob and Margaret Helz Rheingans. The parents, natives of Germany, came to America when young, the father at the age of twelve and the mother at that of four years, with their prospective families. They were married in Wisconsin and came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, about 1877, locating in Oakwood Township, on 160 acres of land in section 1, where they began farming. Jacob Rheingans continued actively engaged in agriculture until his death in March, 1901. His wife Margaret is now living in Zumbro Township with her son George. Henry W. Rheingans acquired his education in District No. 41, Oakwood. He worked for his father on the home farm until the latter's death, and after that conducted the farm for three years in association with his brother Rudolph. For two years subsequently he operated a rented farm, and at the end of that time, in 1907, bought his present farm in section 19. On this he has erected nearly all the good buildings now standing. In 1912 he built a good modern house of eight rooms, installed with a hot water heating system. He has also erected a barn 36 by 80 feet, with a full basement and modern equipment, a windmill and most of his outbuildings, and has put up new fencing on the entire farm wherever needed, thus bringing the place into excellent condition. The farm is well stocked with grade Durham cattle, Chester-White swine and Shropshire sheep, Mr. Rheingans keeping from 18 to 20 head of sheep. In addition to his home farming interests, Mr. Rheingans is a stockholder in the Millville Farmers' Co-operative Co. of Millville. As a good citizen he devoted some time to public affairs. For several years he was treasurer of School District No. 44, and in 1920 he was elected clerk of Oakwood Township. He belongs to the Modern Woodsmen of America, and in religion his family are Catholics. Mr. Rheingans was married September 20, 1904, to May Harlan, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Harlan. He and his wife are the parents of seven children, all residing at home, namely: Lester, Francis, Paul, Lois, Bernard, Glenn and Charles. Politically Mr. Rheingans is affiliated with the Republican party.
Rheingans, Rudolph J. (page 776), proprietor of a fine farm of 240 acres in sections 1 and 12, Oakwood Township, is a native of Wisconsin, born March 12, 1878, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Rheingans. Brought to Wabasha County by his parents when three years old, he settled with them in Oakwood Township, where he was educated and grew to manhood. At the age of 18 years he went to Alma, Wis., where until the age of 21 he followed the blacksmith's business. Then returning to the home farm in Oakwood Township, Wabasha County, he resumed agricultural work. Subsequently he and his brother, Henry W., purchased the home farm and conducted it together until 1908, when Rudolph bought out Henry's interest, and his since been the sole owner. He has made many improvements to the place, and the soil being fertile, he is successfully carrying on mixed farming according to modern methods, breeding Hereford cattle, Shropshire sheep and Duroc-Jersey hogs. He is a member of the Equitable Fraternal Union at Theilman, and he and his family belong to the Lutheran church. Mr. Rheingans was married February 6, 1908, to Jennie Rehman, who was born in West Albany Township, this county. He and his wife are the parents of two children: Adeline, born October 28, 10; and Myra, born December 30, 1912.
Rich, Nie (Aneurian) (page 696 - photo of John Rich and family available), proprietor of the old John Rich farm in section 20, Mazeppa Township, was born in Monroe County, Wis., August 7, 1869, son of John and Deborah (Boynton) Rich. The parents were native Americans, the father born in Maine and the mother in Pennsylvania. In the early sixties they migrated west to Wisconsin, where they engaged in farming and resided until 1875. They then settled in Olmsted County, Minn., but remained there a very short time, as in the same year they came to Mazeppa Township, Wabasha County, buying 50 acres of land in section 20. Here they made their home, John Rich erecting a set of buildings and clearing and cultivating the land. He died on the farm in 1911 and his wife in 1916. They were among the early settlers in the township and during their long career as residents here made numerous friends and acquaintances. They were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their children were Elsie, Nie, Florence and John. Nie Rich, who was educated in the district school, at an early age became active on his parents' farm, where, in his boyhood, there was abundant work for him to do. He remained associated with his father until 1893, and then started in for himself by renting a farm in Goodhue County, which he operated for five years. In 1898, having through industry and economy made some financial progress, he bought 80 acres in section 18, Mazeppa Township, on which tract he erected all the buildings except the house; and in 1917 he brought the area of his farm up to 182 acres by the purchase of the old home farm of his parents, containing 50 acres in section 20. His place is well improved and he is doing a successful business as a general farmer and stock raiser. He is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church and with the fraternal order of Modern Woodmen of America. On November 22, 1894, Mr. Rich was united in marriage with Ida (Marion Idella) Ingham, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Ingham. Her parents are now deceased, the father dying in 1910 and the mother about 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Rich have had the unusual experience of becoming the parents of triplets ~ Doctor R., Dennis A. and Darrel J. ~ who were born April 24, 1903. They also have a daughter, Olive M., who was born June 28, 1906. All the children are residing at home.
Richardson, Charles S.
Richardson, Clyde S.
Richardson, Frank J.
Richardson, Horatio G.
Richardson, John Q.
Richardson, Ralph W. (page 577), for a number of years until
1920, vice president of the Farmers and Merchants State Bank of Elgin, of which village he is one
of the leading citizens, was born June 19, 1867, in Elgin Township, on the farm of his parents,
John Q. and Cordelia (Colby) Richardson. He acquired his education in the public schools of
Elgin and at Carleton College, Northfield, Minn. After that he followed teaching winters and
farming summers until 1895. Then in December, that year, he rented his father's farm of 237
acres in Elgin Township, and operated it continuously until November, 1919, when he retired and
moved to Elgin Village. While living on the farm, his father gave him three acres of it, on which
he erected a fine residence, in which he resided until his retirement. When the creamery
association was organized he became secretary of the board, a position that he held for several
years. He was vice president of the farmers and Merchants State Bank from the time it was
organized until 1920, when he was succeeded by Thomas Richardson. For a number of years he
has been secretary of the Old Settlers' association of Elgin. Always known as a patriotic citizen,
and long recognized as an able business man, his services were naturally called into requisition
during the recent world war, and he readily and cheerfully responded, taking an active part in all
local war work, including the war Saving Stamps, the third, fourth and fifth Liberty Loan drives
and Y.M.C.A. drives, and being township chairman of United War Work in 1918, including the
Christmas Roll Call, the Red Cross drive in December 1918, and the Christmas Seal Sale in
December, 1919, besides other patriotic activities.
Mr. Richardson was first married, September 6, 1891, to Mary E. Rollins, who was born on her parents' farm in Elgin Township, October 10, 1867, daughter of Irvin W. and Ellen (Keith) Rollins. She died after months of suffering patiently endured, at St. Mary's Hospital, Rochester, Minn., on December 28, 1908. Beneath a modest, quiet demeanor, Mrs. Mary E. Richardson concealed a force of character, a richness of mental endowment, a capacity of doing things, and a steadiness and sanity of religious life that were little suspected except by her most intimate friends. The memory of her unselfish devotions, of the beauty and serenity of her faith, of her wifely and sisterly love, will ever be to them an incentive to Christian living, and an admonition to brave and high endeavor.
On April 17, 1911, Mr. Richardson married, secondly, Phebe Fisk, who was born in Kent, England, daughter of William M. and Rachel (Gower) Fisk. She came to America in 1907 and the first four years of her residence in this country were spent in California. It was in 1911, when she was visiting a cousin in Elgin, that she first met Mr. Richardson, and the attachment grew up which ended in their marriage. On February 4, 1913, a son, John William, was born to them. Mr. and Mrs. Richardson are highly respected in the community. During the war period she was chairman of the Council of National Defense of Elgin village and Township. While still residing in England Mrs. Phebe Richardson became a member of the Baptist church. On June 4, 1920, both she and her husband united by letter with the Methodist Episcopal church of Elgin, Mr. Richardson having formerly been a member of the Congregational church. Their son John also joined on the same day.
Richardson, William H.
Richmond, Charles E.
Richmond, George C.
Riester, John (page 611), the proprietor and operator of a beautiful farm of 240 acres known as “Grand View Farm,” situated four miles southwest of Wabasha, in Glasgow Township, was born in this township February 12, 1863, son of Ottman and Magdalena Riester. The parents came to America at an early date from Baden, Germany, about 1856, and coming to Minnesota, settled in Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, near the site of the present village of Dumfries. When quite a small child John Riester lost his father, of whom he has no recollection. He attended the district school and from early youth made his own way in the world. His farm, which he has himself developed, is now one of the best in the township. The surroundings are beautiful, and he has a fine residence provided with hot water heat and other modern conveniences; he has a good substantial barn, and his silo and outhouses are well constructed and in good condition. He has also an adequate operating equipment. The soil of his farm is productive, and as he is a hard worker with a practical knowledge of every branch of agriculture, he has been very successful and is now one of the well to do and prominent citizens of his township. He is a stockholder in the Wabasha Creamery Company and the Greenfield Farmers’ Telephone Company, in the latter concern being a member of the board of directors. Some part of his time has been given to public affairs, as he has served on the township board several terms and also on the school board of District No. 102. On November 21, 1888, Mr. Riester was married to Mary Laqua, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Laqua of West Albany Township. He and his wife have been the parents of nine children: Joseph J., born February 9, 1890, who died September 1, 1893; Leo F., born September 8, 1891, who is in the auto business at Kellogg; Genevieve M., born April 30, 1893, now Mrs. George Blue of West Albany Township; Rosalie A., born May 14, 1895, who graduated from St. Felix high school at Wabasha and is now teaching in Minneapolis; Herbert J., born August 9, 1897, who is married and resides in Minneapolis; Elizabeth G., born August, 9, 1897, unmarried and residing in Minneapolis; Margaret J., born January 6, 1901; John W., January 18, 1903; and Rosanna A., August 27, 1907, all three of whom are residing on the home farm, John W. assisting his father. The family are Catholics and members of St. Felix parish. Mrs. Riester is a native of Wabasha County, having been born in West Albany Township August 7, 1861. Her parents came from Silesia, Germany, but were married here.
Rietman, Henry W. (page 749), one of the younger farmers of Chester Township, who is making good progress, was born in this township December 18, 1889, son of Gerhardt and Mary (Fricke) Rietman. The parents came to Wabasha County, Minn., from Germany in 1880, settling in Chester Township, where they were engaged in farming for nearly 30 years. Mrs. Mary Rietman died in 1898, and her husband now resides with his son, Henry. They had seven children, Fred, Christ (deceased), William, August, Henry W., louis and Anna. The family is affiliated religiously with the Methodist Episcopal and Lutheran churches. Henry W. Rietman acquired his education in the district school. He subsequently worked several years as a general farm laborer. Then he entered the United States navy, in which he served about four years. In 1916 he rented a farm near Zumbro Falls, which he operated for three years, or until 1919, in which year he removed to his present farm of 80 acres in section 31, Chester Township. Here he is profitably engaged in general farming and stock raising, his niece, Viola Kalbe, keeping house for him and his father, who resides with him. Young and enterprising, he is apparently on the threshold of a promising future.
Riley, John T.
Ring, John F.
Ritzenthaler, Albert W.
Roberson, Frank B.
Roberson, Henry H.
Roberts, Alfred C. (page 418), one of the leading merchants and business men of Hammond, was born in Plainview, Wabasha County, Minn., August 12, 1872, son of Dr. Francis H. and Helen (Perrine) Roberts. The parents, who were natives of Missouri, came to Wabasha County in the early sixties, settling in Plainview, where Dr. Francis H. Roberts for many years practiced his profession of physician and surgeon, becoming one of the best known doctors in this part of the state. He was also one of the most popular, being a man whom everybody not only respected but loved, not merely for his skill, which, for his day, was of a high order, but for his cheerful, kindly and helpful disposition. He continued in active practice until five years before his death, which occurred March 7, 1909, and when he passed away there was deep sorrow throughout the community. Dr. and Mrs. Roberts were the parents of eight children, six of whom are now living: Carrie, Mary, Alfred, Tenna, Frances and Edward. Carrie is now the widow of Edward Woodruff and resides in Rochester, Minn. Mary, the wife of Arthur Searles, resides on a farm in Olmsted County. Tenna married Schuyler Bigelow and lives on a farm in Olmsted County. Frances is the wife of Frank Domkie, a farmer of Olmsted County. Edward is a telegraph operator residing in the State of Washington. Alfred C. Roberts was reared in his native township of Plainview, where he attended public school. For five years he followed farming, and then went into the creamery business, being employed as butter maker for 16 years. In 1901 he came to Hammond from Millville, and conducted the creamery here until 1908, at which time he opened a general store in Hammond under the style of A. C. Roberts Co. After conducting the business successfully until 1915, he sold it to the Farmers Co-operative Company, who retained him as manager. More recently the business has again come under his control, and he is now conducting it on his own account with profitable results. For several years he has served the village as trustee, and has proved himself an active factor in its development. His fraternal affiliations are with the Modern Woodmen. Mr. Roberts was married at Douglass, Minn., to Anna Kohn, daughter of William and Augusta Kohn. Her parents were born in Germany and emigrated to Minnesota, taking a farm in Olmsted County. Both are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Roberts have two children: William and Leonard, both of whom are living at home, William helping his father in the store and Leonard attending school.
Roberts, Francis Hughes, M.D. (page 493), for nearly forty years a resident of Plainview, of which village he was one of the most highly esteemed citizens, was born in Franklin County, Indiana, June 23, 1831. He spent the years of childhood, youth and early manhood in Indiana and Ohio, where he also taught school for nine years. On October 5, 1858, he was married at Moores Hill, Dearborn County, Ind., to Helen Mars Perrine, and at about the same time he took up the study of medicine, being graduated from the Cleveland (Ohio) Medical College, February 28, 1861. In May, 1868, he came to Wabasha County, Minnesota, settling in Plainview, where he continued in the practice of his profession until a short time before his death on March 6, 1908. He passed away at the home of his daughter near Rochester, being advanced in his seventy-eighth year. His funeral services and interment took place in Plainview, the Rev. G. H. Gamble, pastor of the Baptist church at Rochester, conducting the services in the church, while those at the grave were conducted by the Odd Fellows' lodge, of which Dr. Roberts had for some years been a prominent member. Such a brief biographical outline as the above, however, does scant justice to the life and work of this beloved physician, a significant testimony to which was seen in the large concourse of people who assembled to pay the last tribute of respect to his memory. To many of these he had been not merely a physician but a friend and benefactor. It was owing to his generous nature and kindly sympathy for his patients that he failed to accumulate property, for it was his frequent custom to donate a whole or part of his bill when he knew or suspected that the payment would prove a hardship. But he left as a legacy to his children and friends the memory of a true Christian life spent in ministering to others. For 52 years he had been a faithful member of the Baptist church, and in all his relations as husband, father, friend, man and citizen, he attained an ideal standard, based on those Christian principles which he not only professed but practiced. For exactly 25 years and 18 hours before his death Dr. Roberts had been a widower, his beloved wife Helen having passed away March 6, 1883. They were the parents of eight children, six of whom survived their father, and were present at his funeral, namely: Mrs. Carrie H. Woodruff, Mrs. S. T. Bigelow and Mrs. F. Domke, of Rochester; Mrs. A. Searles, of Elgin; A. C. Roberts, of Hammond, and Edward H. Roberts, of Newburg, N. D. Dr. Roberts also left three brothers: Dr. Samuel Roberts, of Lafayette, Ind. Ambrose Roberts, of Chicago, and William Roberts, of Andersonville, Ind.
Robinson, John (p. 594), proprietor of one of the largest farms in Zumbro Township, containing 1,070 acres, is engaged extensively in diversified farming and stock raising, being one of the leaders in this line of industry in Wabasha County. He was born in Zumbro Township, October 15, 1862, son of Samuel and Elizabeth Robinson, pioneers of this county, who settled in the township in 1858. Here he attended district school. From the age of 16 to that of 19 he was a pupil in the high school at Rochester, Minn., and afterwards a student for four years in the University of Minnesota. During a period of seven years he taught school in this county, having to earn the money to pay his expenses through college. On leaving the university he returned to the home farm, where he remained until 1887. He then began farming for himself, in the fall of that year buying 80 acres of improved land in Zumbro Township not far from the paternal homestead. The success he attained was extraordinary, for in less than eight years, by 1905, he had acquired 1,070 acres all in one tract; and in addition to that, he now owns 160 acres of unbroken land in Bowman County, N. D., and 320 acres of wild land timbered with hardwood, of which 160 acres are in Roseau County and 160 acres in Cass County, Minn. Up to 1896 Mr. Robinson raised principally wheat, but since that time he has done diversified farming, operating the 1,070 acres in Zumbro Township. On this farm he has four complete sets of buildings and a full equipment of teams, tractors, gas engines and tools and implements of modern type. He keeps on an average of 150 head of high grade Durham cattle, and 120 to 150 Poland-China swine, milking 50 cows on his various farms. These facts speak for themselves and show that Mr. Robinson is a man accustomed to do things on a large scale and achieve success. As though this were not enough to keep him occupied, he is also a builder and has worked more or less at that occupation for the past 35 years. He is a stockholder in the Farmers Bank of Hammond, also in the Hammond State Bank, of which he is one of the directors, and a stockholder in the Hammond Telephone Co., the Hammond Creamery Co., and the Hammond Co-operative General Store. During the war with Germany he showed both the business ability and his sound American patriotism as member and chairman of several committees organized for war work, including the Liberty Loan, Red Cross and Y.M.C.A., every one of the drives going "over the top." These drives took in the villages of Zumbro and Hammond, and also Gilford, Hyde Park and Zumbro Townships, the result forming a splendid record that will remain a bright page in local history. A Republican in politics, he has served his township in many offices and from 1901 to 1905 was treasurer of Wabasha County. During that time he and his family resided in Wabasha City. Mr. Robinson is fraternally affiliated with the Blue Lodge of Masons (No. 86) at Mazeppa; Hope Chapter, R.A.M., No. 12, of Lake City; Osman Temple, N.M.S., of St. Paul; the lodges of Red Men and Modern Samaritans of Wabasha, and the Odd Fellows' lodge at Oronoco. He is a supporter of the South Troy M.E. church, of which his wife and elder children are attendants. Mr. Robinson was married April 20, 1888, to Lucie F. Everett, who was born in Zumbro Township September 26, 1869, daughter of George C. and Mary (Arnold) Everett. He and his wife have had nine children, three of whom died in infancy. Those living are: Marion, born August 3, 1890; Laura Beth, December 21, 1891; Tina Evelyn, February 17, 1893; John Everett, July 19, 1894; Emerson R., July 30, 1899; Lucille Esther, November 18, 1907. Marion, who died March 4, 1917, was the wife of George Youngs, a farmer of Zumbro Township. She left two children, Donald and Joyce, both of whom are living. Laura Beth is now Mrs. Frank Webster of Oronoco Township, and has two children, Mary Alice and John Arnold. Tina Evelyn is a student in the law department of Minnesota State University. John Everett entered the United States service in the late war as a member of Company H. 9th U.S. Infantry. In the St. Hihiel sector, October 3, 1918, he received five shrapnel wounds, and was in the hospital until November 24, 1918, since which time he has been in Paris on detail duty. Lucille is attending school. Donald Jones, born May 11, 1912, a grandson of Mr. Robinson, is a member of the latter's household.
Robinson, Samuel (p. 593), who was a pioneer settler in Zumbro and Mazeppa Townships, where he developed a good farm, was born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1827, and came to America in 1842, settling first in Sullivan County, New York, where, until 1856, he worked as a farm laborer. He then came west to Will County, Ill., where he remained for about two years, at the end of this time coming to Wabasha County, Minn. There were very few settlers here at the time, but plenty of Indians, and the land was nearly all wild, but a few acres having been broken here and there where a pioneer had built a little log cabin in the wilderness and started to carve out a home. Mr. Robinson himself became on of these early home builders, buying 80 acres of wild land from the state in section 36, Zumbro township (town. 109, range 14). Later he purchased and added to his farm 50 acres in section 16, town. 109, range 14, and 10 acres in section 31, town. 109, range 13, these two latter tracts being in what is now Mazeppa Township. Through long continued industry he cleared and improved his place and erected thereon substantial buildings, and this he did through a long period of financial stringency without placing any mortgage or incumbrance on the property. Politically he was a strong Democrat. In 1859, the year following his advent in the county, Mr. Robinson married Elizabeth Bailey, who was born in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1831, but who was of Scotch ancestry, as he also was. Their happy married life was terminated by Mr. Robinson's death on October 1, 1900. Mrs. Robinson survived him a number of years, passing away October 18, 1916, at the age of 82. He was reared a Presbyterian, but never affiliated with any church after coming to the country. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson were the parents of five children, all born on the farm, namely: Andrew B., born in 1860, who died unmarried June 4, 1882; Thomas, born in 1861, now a retired farmer in Rochester, Minn.; John, born in 1862, a prosperous farmer at Hammond, this county; Robert, born in 1865, now a carpenter in Winona; and Phebe, now Mrs. R. F. Wahler of Winona.
Rohweder, John (page 316), father of R. E. Rohweder, of Plainview, was born in Arfte-Holstein, Germany, January 24, 1840. In 1859 he set out for the United States, and after a voyage of 48 days arrived in this country. At first locating at Blue Island, Ill., he remained there for two years, and then removed to Winona, where he engaged in the butcher's business, in which he continued for the rest of his life, except during the last five years, during which period he held the position of health inspector. His death occurred April 2, 1910. Mr. Rohweder was first married to Elizabeth Wendt, who died after a married life of 13 years, leaving six children: Henry, Amelia, Augusta, Lizzie, George and Emma. Mr. Rohweder married secondly, in 1875, Pauling (sic) Staack, a native of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, who died in Winona, Minn., September 8, 1919. She was the mother of five children: Gustave, Matilda, Bernhardt, Lydia and Frank.
Rohweder, Bernhardt E. (page 316), proprietor of the Plainview Drug Co., was born in Winona, Minn, December 1, 1879, son of John and Pauline (Staack) Rohweder. After attending the Winona public schools, he entered the drug store of McConnon & Co., in the same city, as apprentice, and was there employed until 1899. Then he went to St. Paul, where he followed the drug business until the summer of 1905. In the following spring he came to Plainview and associated himself with C. D. Burchard, under the firm name of Burchard & Rohweder, operating a drug store on the corner of Jefferson and Main streets. In 1911 Mr. W. E. Miller purchased the interests of Mr. Burchard and became a partner in the business with the subject of this sketch, the firm then adopting the name of The Plainview Drug Co. After a period of three years, Mr. Miller's interests were purchased by R. J. Boardman, and two years later Mr. Rohweder became sole owner and proprietor, and has continued the business under the same style ~ The Plainview Drug Co. He has built up a large trade and keeps a full line of drugs, both for general sale and prescription purposes, toilet articles, wall paper, paints, Eastman Kodaks, Columbia and Sonora Graphophones, and other goods in popular demand. As a progressive citizen, interested in the welfare of the community, he has associated himself by membership with the Commercial Club and the Fair Association, and is now serving his second term on the board of education. He is past master of Illustrious Lodge No. 63, A. F. & A. M., at Plainview; is also a Scottish Rite Mason, at Winona, and a member of the Eastern Star Chapter at Plainview. In 1916 he moved from the corner to his present location. Mr. Rohweder was married at Plainview, September 27, 1905, to Florence Cornwell, who was born July 17, 1878. Of this union three children have been born: Louis, December 16, 1906, who is now a student in the Plainview high school; Miriam, born March 10, 1909; and John Cornwell, born October 6, 1914, who died February 11, 1915. Mrs. Rohweder is active in various social organizations, being a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Ladies' Circle. She and her husband are members of the Congregational church, and are people of recognized social standing.
Rolandt, Joseph (page 640), a prominent representative of the farming industry in Gillford Township, was born in Mechlenburg, Germany, June 8, 1856, son of Henry and Mary Schultz Rolandt. He came to America with his family in the fall of 1874, the family settling on a farm in West Albany Township, where Joseph lived until about 1894. The father, Henry Rolandt, died in the fall of 1896, and the mother in the spring of 1906. Joseph had been given a common school education in Germany and attended school two winters after coming to Wabasha County. He began work as a farm hand three days after arriving in the county, and was four years in the employ of Christ Wempner. On December 16, 1879, He married Anna Stohrman, who was born in Glasgow Township, October 27, 1862, daughter of Frederick and Mary Stohrman, and at the time of his marriage he bought a farm of 80 acres in section 13, Gillford Township, where he remained five years. He then sold that place and bought 160 acres in section 23. This was a farm with improved land, but poor buildings, and Mr. Rolandt built better ones, though with an eye to further improvements in the future. In 1906 he rebuilt the house, which is now a comfortable two-story residence; and in 1915 he erected a good frame barn and has now all necessary buildings. He is successfully following diversified farming, keeping grade Hereford cattle, Duroc-Jersey hogs and Shropshire sheep; he also does dairying and is the owner of a threshing outfit. In politics he is independent. He and his family are members of the Jacksonville congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, which he served as trustee for a number of years. Mr. and Mrs. Rolandt have been the parents of six children: Clara S., born October 15, 1880; Alvina M., May 5, 1882; Anna Minnie, April 26, 1886; Frederick H., June 24, 1892; Joseph F., September 29, 1894; Alfred Frederick, May 19, 1901. Clara S. is still residing on the home farm. Alvina M. married John Burfiend of Mt. Pleasant Township and died May 13, 1918. Anna Minnie is the wife of Herman Heldt, a farmer of Goodhue County. Frederick H., who took a mechanical course at the Southern Normal University at Austin, Minnesota, served in the World War, being inducted in the U.S. service as a private in 1917. He trained at Camp Dodge, Iowa, and promoted to corporal in the auto mechanic department, Company C, A. E. F., and served in France, going across in November, 1918. He served until March 1919, being attached to the 313th ammunition train. Joseph F. is a farmer in Gillford Township.
Rollins, Irvin W. (page 504), Minnesota pioneer, and for nearly 40 years a resident of Elgin, who passed from this life on February 13, 1895, was a man universally honored for his sterling character. He was born in East Orange, Orange County, Vt., January 18, 1829, son of Laban and Nancy Rollins. The family name was originally written Rowlings. The immediate ancestors of the subject of this sketch, one of whom was the well known Deacon Colby, were worthy and sturdy citizens of Orange County. Laban Rollins, the father, was a shoemaker in East Orange, but in 1837, when Irvin was eight years old, he moved to Topsham, Vt., where the family resided on a farm. Irvin attended school in both East Orange and Topsham, and also for a while the academy at Corinth. He was never a strong child, and when a young man he was prostrated with typhoid fever, the effects of which lingered with him during his whole life. He was of a lovable disposition, quiet and fond of solitude. Still he was no recluse, but could on suitable occasions indulge in fun and frolic. His sense of justice and right were very exact, and these qualities, with his manly conduct, won for him at school the name of "Judge." He applied himself with marked and untiring diligence to his studies, and prepared himself for the work of teaching. He continued this professional work through eight or ten winters; the summers he spent on the farm. About this time he went to Manchester, N. H., where he worked in the mills. In the autumn of 1855 Irvin Rollins and his brother Orvis came to Minnesota, taking claims east of Plainview, Wabasha County, where they built a cabin in which, with Ezra and Enoch Dickerman, they spent the winter. In the spring of 1856, finding that they had located upon the Sioux reservation, and doubting the legality of their title, they removed to Elgin. The Whitewater flowed smoothly past their new cabin. The first summer brought them plenty of garden vegetables, and also some famous water melons. The summer of 1857 was spent in erecting a part of the farm house now standing, and Laban and Nancy Rollins, with their family, came to occupy the new home. Early in 1859 Irvin Rollins returned to Vermont, and was married April 4, to Ellen Keith, whom he brought at once to Elgin. Though not strong in body, by care and prudence Mr. Rollins made farming pay. His farm was always in order. He was a pioneer in fruit culture, and for many years kept a good nursery. He made a careful and thorough study of bees and every season produced a large quantity of honey. Though never an office seeker, he was closely connected with public affairs. He was the first justice of the peace in Elgin, and deeds and mortgages were in the early days executed by his hand. For many years he was clerk of the Town of Elgin, the supervisors often meeting at his house. A man of strong religious convictions, he served as trustee of the Methodist church, and was for years superintendent of the Sunday school. At any early period he identified himself with the prohibition party. One of his leading characteristics was his sense of order and system. For 46 years he kept a diary, in which he jotted down every item of interest or value. He was a thoroughly furnished man, a careful reader with correct judgment and patience. Mr. Rollins was a lover of home. It was his kingdom and he its ruler. In his wife, Ellen Keith, he found a worthy helpmeet, a noble woman with queenly gifts and Christian grace, whose good deeds have kept her memory fresh. They carefully guarded their home and their lives gave it the sacredness of a sanctuary. Their family consisted of four children, Ida, Flora, Frank and Mary, all of whom still live, except Mary, who died December 28, 1908. Mrs. Rollins, after 32 years of consecrated service to her home, her husband and her family, passed triumphantly from earth to heaven, on April 4, 1891, the same day of the month on which she was married. Her death brought into Mr. Rollins' life a solitude from which he never recovered. Mr. Rollins never forgot the home of his childhood, to which he made several visits, on the first occasion taking all his children with him, the last being made in the autumn before his death. He often talked of the old friends and old places, the old orchard and the old spring at the foot of the hill. He was a man of industrious habits and prudent economy; in disposition retiring and humble, with a heart full of sympathy and tenderness. His soul was full of music and he was for years a member of the church choir. His last sickness continued about three weeks, and on Sunday, February 13, 1895, he passed peacefully away on the anniversary of his mother's birth. "A hoary head is a crown of glory when it is found in the way of righteousness."
Roschen, Louis H.
Roseboom, Garrett (page 757), formerly engaged in agricultural pursuits in Zumbro Township, was born in New Jersey, September 23, 1848. In 1862 he came to Wabasha County, Minn., with his parents, Ares and Elizabeth Roseboom, who settled in Zumbro Township, and until 1864 he worked for his father. After that for several years he did farm labor, working for others. In 1868 Mr. Roseboom started in for himself as an independent farmer, buying 80 acres in section 35, Zumbro Township, and building a house on his land. There he was engaged in general farming and stock raising until his death on November 15, 1886. Mr. Roseboom was married January 15, 1878, to Louis Renoux, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Renoux. Her parents were natives of France who came to America in 1845, settling near Lake City, Minn., on a small farm. Mr. Renoux dying in the following year, his wife subsequently operated the farm and reared her family. They had seven children: Mary, Victoria (deceased), Joseph, Louisa, Emma and Alice (twins), and Harriett. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Roseboom, all now living, are as follows: Nathaniel A., born October 22, 1880; John J., born February 28, 1883, now residing in Olmsted County; Lydia H., born February 28, 1885, who is the wife of Arley Disney of Olmsted County; and Garrett, born July 14, 1887, who is operating the home farm for his mother, who has conducted it with the assistance of her sons since her husband's death. She has improved the place by the erection of a barn and outbuildings, and also bought 80 additional acres of land in section 36. The farm is now well improved and the family prosperous and respected.
Roseboom, John J. (page 758), well known in Zumbro Township, where for a number of years he was engaged extensively in agriculture, though now a resident of Olmsted county, was born in Zumbro Township, Wabasha county, February 28, 1883, son of Garrett and Louisa (Renoux) Roseboom. He was educated in the district school, and after his father's death in 1886 worked for his mother on the home farm until 1897. Then he and his brothers rented the farm for two years, and were associated together subsequently in farming operations until 1919, operating 520 acres in Wabasha and Olmsted Counties. In 1919 John J. Roseboom bought 120 acres in Olmsted County, where he is now engaged in general farming and stock raising. He has built a barn and machine-shed and put his new property into good condition. He was married June 20, 1906, to May R. Cooke, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Cooke of Rochester. Of this union three children have been born: Mildred L., October 21, 1908; Clifton J., August 14, 1909; and Percy, February 19, 1916.
Roseboom, Nathaniel A.(page 757, photo available), a member of a prominent family of Zumbro Township, and who for a number of years has been engaged in agricultural operations here, was born in this township October 22, 1880, son of Garrett and Louisa (Renoux) Roseboom. His father dying in 1886, he subsequently worked on the home farm for his mother until 1897. Then he and his brothers, John and Garrett, rented the home farm and were associated together for 21 years, operating in all 520 acres ~ 200 acres in Wabasha County and 320 acres in Oronoco Township, Olmsted County. In 1918 he branched out for himself, farming 200 acres of his own. On settling his father's estate he had inherited 40 acres, and in 1912 he bought 80 acres of land adjoining in section 36, Zumbro Township. Later he purchased another 80, making in all 200 acres, the farm on which he now lives. He has built a barn and outbuildings, repaired the fences and made other improvements, and is successfully carrying on general farming, raising high grade Durham cattle. He has also devoted a part of his time to public affairs, having served seven years as chairman of the town board of supervisors, and six years as a member of the school board of District No. 69. Mr. Roseboom was married June 22, 1910, to Jessie M. Cooke, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Cooke of Rochester, her parents having formerly resided many years in Zumbro Township. Mr. and Mrs. Roseboom are the parents of two children: Kenneth N., born January 11, 1912; and Jennie L., born February 26, 1920.
Rother, Charles (page 348), a thrifty and prosperous farmer of West Albany Township, residing in section 35, was born in Schlesien, Germany, December 1, 1873, son of Karl and Caroline (Kuschman) Rother. The family came to the United States in the summer of 1882, proceeding directly west to Wabasha, County, Minnesota, and settling in Highland Township, where the father worked as a farm hand until 1891. He then began farming on his own account on a small tract of 15 acres in section 35, West Albany, gradually adding to the area of his farm until he brought it up to 142 acres, its present size. When he bought it, it was cut-over land, all grown to brush, which he cleared away, also having some grubbing to do. He built a comfortable house and other buildings and kept on working and improving his place until his death on December 6, 1916, at the age of 74 years, he having been born July 23, 1842. His wife, who was born March 11, 1849, is still living, and is keeping house for her son Charles. Mr. and Mrs. Karl Rother had eight children, one of whom died in infancy. The three youngest were born in Wabasha County, the others in Germany. The record in brief is as follows: Charles, operating the old home farm; Anna, born April 11, 1875, who died March 30, 1878; Ernest, born September 26, 1878, who died November 28, 1889; Ida, now Mrs. Henry Heil, her husband being a farmer in Oakwood Township; Emma, born October 23, 1883, wife of Charles Johnson, a farmer of Pepin Township; Louisa, born April 22, 1893, now deceased; and Helena, born September 25, 1894, now Mrs. Joseph Ramer of Theilman; and Henry, who is now deceased. Charles Rother attended school for three years in Germany and seven years after coming to this county. In early youth he became associated with his father in the work on the farm, and has since continued to reside on and operated it. He carries on general farming profitably, keeping a good grade of cattle and hogs, and getting good results from his land. He served as clerk of his school district for four years, and was elected town assessor to serve two years, but resigned at the end of a year, as his farm made full demands on his time. He is a stockholder in the Theilman Dairy Association, and as a citizen and neighbor has the respect and good will of his fellow townsmen. He and his mother are members of the Evangelical church at Theilman, he occupying the position of president of the church association.
Rother, Charles J. (page 634), who is successfully carrying on farming and stock raising in Highland Township, was born on section 7, this township, September 7, 1875, son of Gottlieb and Katherine (Sauerssig) Rother. The father, who was born in Germany, came to the United States at an early day, and settling in Wabasha County, Minn., bought a farm of 120 acres in section 7, Highland Township. He subsequently purchased more land un til he had 260 acres and spent his time developing his farm until his retirement from active work. He then moved to Plainview, where he died in 1916. His wife, who was born in Fredonia, Wis., is still living and makes her home with her son, Edward, in Oakwood Township. Charles J. Rother acquired his education in District School No. 38, Highland Township, and was reared on the home farm, which he helped to cultivate. When 22 years old the Spanish-American was broke out and he enlisted for military service. After six months' service in the army in the United States he returned home, where he spent the winter. The next spring he went to South Dakota, where he remained two years, from there going to Alberta, Canada, where he took and proved up a farm which he operated for 17 years. In the spring of 1919 he returned to Minnesota and went to farming in Oakwood Township, Wabasha County. In the spring of 1920 Mr. Rother removed to the George Thompson place, better known as the Widow McGrath place, where he is now engaged in general farming and stock raising, with profitable results. In 1906 Mr. Rother was married to Fanny La Point, daughter of Cornelius and Melvina (Foutain) La Point. Her father was born in La Crosse, Wis., and her mother in Quebec, Canada. After following agricultural pursuits for many years in Wisconsin, they went to farming in Alberta, Canada, where they are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Rother have been the parents of four children, of whom three are now living: Louis, Olivia and George. The eldest son, Jeffrey, died May 19, 1920, after an operation for appendicitis.
Rother, Edward V. (page 370), a general farmer residing in section 33, Oakwood Township, was born in Highland Township, December 30, 1886, son of Gottleib and Catherine Rother. He received a district school education, and being brought up on the home farm early acquired a knowledge of agricultural methods. From 1907 to 1912 he and his brother, William, operated the farm together under rental, after which they bought it, and continued in partnership for three or four years. It contains 220 acres, which they farmed successfully. In 1912 Edward purchased his brother's interest in the property, and operated it alone until October, 1919. He then rented it out to a tenant and bought his present farm of 160 acres in section 33, Oakwood Township, on which he has erected a new, modern house of tile stucco construction. He follows diversified farming, keeping Durham cattle and Duroc-Jersey swine, and is a member of the local shipping association. He is also engaged in breeding Rhode Island Red poultry, with good results, and is numbered among the progressive and well to do citizens of his township.
Rother, Gottlieb (page 369), one of the early settlers in Highland Township, was born in Germany, April 4, 1844. He acquired his education in his native land, where he remained until 1868, when he emigrated to Minnesota, settling in West Albany Township, Wabasha County. For several years he worked as a farm hand, practicing economy and saving his money with a view to future independence. On April 14, 1874, he married Catherine Saueressig, who was born in Fredonia, Wis., February 17, 1852, and immediately or soon after their marriage he and his wife settled on a farm in Highland Township having an area of 160 acres, but ill provided with buildings, there being only a shanty for a residence, and a straw stable. There he made his home for 35 years, or until 1909, in which year he retired and took up his residence in Plainview, where he died March 26, 1916. A year after his death his widow returned to the home farm and resided there with her son, Edward, until October, 1919, when they moved to a farm in Oakwood Township, where they are still living, Mrs. Rother keeping house for her son. Mr. Rother was a steady and industrious citizen, respected in the community, and for two years served as school treasurer. He and his wife had thirteen children: Paulina, now Mrs. John Welti; Charles of Highland Township; Henry, living in Texas; John, deceased; Anna, deceased; George, a carpenter in Plainview; Mary, now Mrs. George Schultz, residing on the old Rother farm in Highland Township; Fred, deceased; Edward, of Oakwood Township; William of Highland; Albert, now at Hamline University; August, deceased; and Walter, of Plainview. Mr. Rother and his family were affiliated with the Lutheran church, of which the survivors are members.
Rother, William E. (page 633), who ranks among the active and successful farmers of Highland Township, was born on a farm in section 18, this township, December 11, 1888, son of Gottlieb and Katherine (Sauerssig) Rother. The father, a native of Germany, and the mother, a native of Wisconsin, came to Wabasha County, Minn., at an early day, taking a farm of 120 acres in sections 7 and 18, Highland Township. To this Mr. Rother subsequently added until he owned 260 acres. After operating his farm until advanced years he finally retired with a competence and took up his residence in Plainview, where he died in 1916. His wife is still living with her son, Edward. William E. Rother was reared on his parents' farm, where he acquired a thorough knowledge of agriculture in its different branches, the district school supplying him with an education sufficiently practical for his career in life. After his father's retirement he and his brother, Edward, rented the home farm for five years and operated it together, at the end of which time they bought it. Two years later William sold his interest to Edward and bought the p. H. Feehan farm in section 17, also 80 acres of the Hogan farm, making 160 acres altogether, and it is on this place that he is now residing, carrying on general farming. He raises graded Hereford cattle, having a registered bull, and also Chester-White hogs. He has a good six-room residence, a substantial barn and other necessary buildings, all in good condition. He is a member of the Lutheran church at Plainview. Mr. Rother was married May 1, 1910, at Rochester, Minn., to Mary E. Bloom, daughter of John and Katherine Bloom, the father being a native of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. John Bloom came to Minnesota in 1873, settling first at White Bear, but later moving to Olmsted County, where they are now prosperously engaged in farming. They have had five children, of whom three are now living: Ethel, Walter and Mary E. Mr. and Mrs. Rother have one child, Katherine, who was born June 20, 1919.
Rucker, Martin J.
Russell, George H.
Rutz, Nicholas (page 631), a retired farmer residing in Lake City, where he owns a comfortable home, was born in La Crosse County, Wis., January 16, 1862, son of Louis and Isabella Rutz. The parents were natives of Germany, but were married in this country in La Crosse County, Wis., where they settled among the early arrivals, and engaged in farming. There the father died May 16, 1917, after a long and active career. The mother is now living at La Crescent, Minn. Nicholas Rutz was early trained to agricultural pursuits on his parent's farm, and was educated in a parochial school in his native country. At the age of 18 he began working for others as a farm hand, and was thus occupied for three years. On January 15, 1883, he was united in marriage with Mary Magdalene Hammes, who was born in Belgium, March 28, 1860, and was brought to this country by her parents when a babe. Her father was engaged for some years in the manufacture of furniture in Paris. Both he and his wife are now deceased. After his marriage Nicholas Rutz went to work at the carpenter's trade in La Crosse, and followed it there until 1898. He then bought an improved farm of 200 acres in Glasgow Township, Wabasha County, Minn., where he had married his wife, and engaged in agriculture. Six years later he bought another tract of 160 acres, thus increasing the size of his farm to 360 acres, of which he improved 140 acres, leaving the rest to pasture and timber. The farm was located seven miles west of Kellogg, and he was there occupied with farming until 1917, when he retired and moved to Lake City, renting his farm. He had bought a house on Prairie Avenue, but in 1919 he sold that and purchased his present residence at 820 S. Oak Street, which is a fine modern house. His career as a farmer was a successful one and he acquired an ample competence, the result of hard work and a sound practical knowledge of the business. Mr. and Mrs. Rutz have had ten children: Clara, now Mrs. Henry Geisler of Lake City; Mary, wife of William Fuhrman of West Albany Township; John P. and Joseph L., who are deceased; and Henry J., Frank L., Edward, Theresa and Rosella, residing in Lake City, Rosella attending the public school. The son Henry J. was in the United States' service during the recent war, training at Camp Dodge in the motor corps. He married Wilhelmina Echenberger and resides at 702 South Oak Street, Lake City.