Taylor, Frank A. (page 267), who is an active factor in the business world of Plainview, proprietor of a first-class barber shop, handsomely equipped, was born in Whiteside County, Ill., November 17, 1870, son of William Chauncy and Jenette Taylor. The parents were natives of New York state, and were there married. They removed west to Illinois about 1862, locating on a farm, where they resided many years, the farther, William C. Taylor, dying at Algonquin, Ill. Frank A. Taylor was educated in Illinois, attending the district and common schools during the winters; his summers, from the time he was old enough, being occupied in working on the home farm. At the age of 18 he went to Iowa, where he worked for a while in saw mills, and at Lyons, that state, he learned the barber's trade. About 1897 he came to Minnesota, locating at Elba, Winona County, where he spent nine years. In 1906 he came to Plainview, purchased a barber's whop, which he has since enlarged and thoroughly equipped in modern style, and which he is now conducting, enjoying a large patronage. He has taken an active interest in public affairs, and during the recent war served on different committees, also obtaining labor for farmers, and whatever he could to help the cause of his country. He belongs to the fraternal orders of Odd Fellows and Elks and enjoys a wide social popularity. Mr. Taylor was married June 26, 1907, at St. Charles, Minn., to Kate Teahen, daughter of Timothy and Jane Teahen, her parents being natives of Ireland, who took a farm at an early date in Olmsted County, Minn. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor have three children: William, born in 1908; Francis, in 1909, and John in 1911, who are attending school in Plainview.
Tebor, John W.
Tentis, Frank J. (page 758), a native of Wabasha County, who is engaged in operating a farm of 220 acres in Watopa Township, was born in Glasgow Township, October 17, 1895, son of John and Mary (Seiwart) Tentis. He acquired his education in the school of the district, and until the age of 16 years remained on the home farm, assisting his father. Then he and his brothers bought 360 acres in Glasgow Township, where he did general farming and stock raising until 1911. In that year Frank J. sold his interests to his brothers. In 1916 he worked at the carpenter's trade, and in 1917 and 1918 was employed in a garage. He then resumed farm work for a year. In 1919 he rented his present farm of 220 acres in Watopa Township, and is here doing a good business as a general farmer and stock raiser. He is a member of the Catholic church, and fraternally of the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Tentis was married November 25, 1919, to Myrtle Cox, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles T. Cox, of Highland Township, this county. Mrs. Tentis' father is now deceased, having passed away May 18, 1916, but her mother is still living in Highland Township. Mr. and Mrs. Tentis are the parents of a daughter, Rachel J.
Tentis, Jacob J. (page 780), a prominent citizen of Glasgow Township, owning and operating a good farm of 360 acres, was born in this township November 28, 1884, son of John and Katherine (Zentz) Tentis. The parents came to this country from Germany in 1860, and settling in Wabasha County, Minn., were prosperously engaged in farming in Glasgow Township until their death. The mother first passed away in 1899, the father dying in 1902. They were worthy and industrious people and consistent members of the Lutheran church. They had nine children: Sophia, Adam, John, Della, Jacob J., Allen, Emil, Frank and Susan. Jacob J. Tentis acquired the elements of knowledge in the school of the district. Afterwards he worked on the home farm for several years and then did general farm labor until 1910. In that year he started for himself, buying his present farm of 360 acres, located in sections 13, 24 and 25, Glasgow Towship. Here he is doing a good business in general farming, keeping full blooded Shorthorn cattle, his barn being equipped with a milking-machine. For the last six years he has served as a member of the local school board. On November 19, 1912, Mr. Tentis was united in marriage with Cynthia Cox, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cox of Glasgow Township. He and his wife are the parents of five children: Norman A., born Septemeber 12, 1913; Caleb F., born May 30, 1915; Beryl and Meryl (twins), born June 12, 1917; and Delia M., born July 3, 1919. Mr. Tentis is a member of the Catholic church. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Cox, the parents of Mrs. Tentis, were born in Illinois and came to Wabasha County, Minn., in 1868, settling in Glasgow Township, where they farmed until Mr. Cox's death in 1916. Mrs. Cox is now residing in Highland Township. They had a family of six children, Cynthia, Levi, Mabel, Myrtle, Michael and George.
Thiele, August (page 758), a prosperous land owner of Chester Township, where he formerly engaged in farming, but is now retired, was born in Hanover, Germany, October 23, 1856, about the time when this county was receiving its pioneer settlers. He was educated in his native land and remained there until 1878, in which year he emigrated to the United States and settled in Goodhue County, Minn. There until 1882 he was engaged in farm work in the vicinity of Belvidere. Then starting in for himself, he rented a farm in Chester Township, Wabasha County, which he operated for ten years, or until 1892. He then bought 80 acres in section 31, Chester, and set out to improve the place, erecting a new set of buildings and fences and clearing most of the land. Later he bought 160 acres in section 32, which he subsequently sold to his son, Edward. His last purchase was the farm of 80 acres on which he now lives, situated in section 31, and which is operated by his sons John and Henry, Mr. Thiele having retired in 1912, after a successful career as a farmer and stock raiser. A man of energy and ambition, he helped to develop the resources of the township in which he settled, and has become well known and respected throughout the (sic) part of Wabasha County. August Thiele was married July 27, 1884, to Lenora Fricke, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Fricke, natives of Germany, both of whom are now deceased. Mrs. Fricke came to America and until her death in 1916 resided with her daughter, Mr. Thiele. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Thiele have been as follows: John H., born November 22, 1885; Henry A., born November 4, 1888; Edwin H., born April 7, 1892; Rhinehart F., born May 7, 1893, who died September 4, the same year; Clara L., born February 4, 1895, now the wife of Ben Lemke; Elsie M., born March 3, 1897, who is keeping house for her brothers John and Henry; Sadie M., born September 11, 1899, and Lydia E., born November 17, 1903, both of whom are residing at home.
Thierstein, Frederick (page 761), deceased, was a man who, through his agricultural years in Wabasha County, accomplished things. A hard worker, thorough in all his undertakings, strong of heart and character, he was honored and respected by his family and neighbors. He was born in Canton Berne, Switzerland, May 30, 1833, was educated in his native land and grew to manhood on his father's estate. When a young man he learned both the miller's and baker's trades, which he followed until coming to America. While in Switzerland he was a soldier in the standing army, being attached to the artillery. On October 22, 1858, he was married in Switzerland to Anna Verna Gaumann, who was born in Canton Berne, October 1, 1836. In 1868 they came to America and for eight years were located at La Crosse, Wis., where Mr. Thierstein was engaged in farm labor. In 1876 they came to Wabasha County and located in Gillford Township, buying first 80 acres in section 31. At different times Mr. Thierstein added to his possessions until he had 240 acres, all in Gillford Township, except 40 acres across the line in Chester Township. He also bought 160 acres in Franklin County, Wash. He erected a fine set of buildings on his Gillford farm and there successfully followed diversified farming until his death, October 7, 1908. When in Switzerland he and his wife were members of the Reformed church, but after coming to this country they joined the Methodist Episcopal church. To them were born eight children: Fred O., of Gillford Township; Anna O., who married W. W. Churchill and died in 1883; Ida E. who after her sister's death married W. W. Churchill and now resides with her husband in Rochester, Minn.; Lina T., now Mrs. J. B. Radabaugh of Gillford Township; Rosa L., now Mrs. C. W. Radabaugh of Zumbro Falls; Rudolph J. of Portland, Ore.; Bertha R., wife of F. G. Heise of Red Wing; and one who died in infancy. Mrs. Thierstein, who is still living, is a very accomplished lady, thoroughly informed on all county, state and national affairs. She speaks, reads and writes four languages, having educated herself in English after coming to the United States. Though now 84 years old, she is still in full possession of her faculties, in fact, is a living encyclopedia, and it is a great pleasure to converse with her. Both her parents were born in Canton Berne, Switzerland, her father, Nicholas Gaumann, in 1812, and he died there in 1874. He was a man of more than ordinary ability, the owner of a large farm or estate, and for five years was county treasurer, which in his country was considered a high office, accorded only to men of high merit. Mrs. Thierstein's mother, Anna (Durig) Gaumann, was born in 1813 and died in 1844.
Thurman, Elmer J.
Tiedemann, Henry (page 447), a respected resident of Lake City, who was formerly engaged in agriculture in Mt. Pleasant Township, was born in Hanover, Germany, November 4, 1849, son of John and Katie Offerman Tiedemann. He remained in his native land until the spring of 1870, when he came to America, locating first in Chicago, where he resided until the fall of that year. He then came to Wabasha County, Minn., and for nine years subsequently worked around as a farm hand, saving what he could of his wages with the view of some day starting in for himself. At the end of that period he rented a farm for a year, and then acquired a farm of his own, buying 80 acres in Mt. Pleasant Township. Sixty acres of the land had been cleared, but there were no buildings, and Mr. Tiedemann accordingly built a house and some straw sheds. There he resided until 1903, successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits, and then retired and took up his residence in Lake City. He now owns 290 acres of land and is in no need of further toil, owing in addition to a house in Lake City at the corner of Sixth and Central streets. Mr. Tiedemann was always a hard worker and remained strong and vigorous until about six years ago. He had only a common school education, but made the best of his opportunities and succeeded in life. Politically he is a Republican. Mr. Tiedemann was married August 28, 1881, to Catherine, a daughter of Jergen Fick, of Bear Valley, Chester Township, this county. He and his wife have two daughters: Mary C., born September 11, 1882, now the wife of Adolph Meincke, a farmer of Mt. Pleasant Township; and Clara, born May 28, 1888, who is the wife of George Jacobs, of Wabasha. Mr. Tiedemann is a member of the German Lutheran church.
Titterington, Jr., James A. (page 444), who is engaged in mixed farming and stock breeding in Elgin Township, of which he is a well known and popular citizen, was born in this township, April 18, 1883, son of James and Mary (Bunyon) Titterington. His education was acquired in the Elgin village school, and for several years thereafter he was employed at manual labor in that vicinity. One year was spent in the employ of the telephone company, and he subsequently worked for his father, receiving one half the crop for his pay. When his father died he cam e into possession of 80 acres of the estate in section 35, which he is now operating, together with 80 more which he rents from his brother Ralph. He keep s high grade stock, with a full-blooded sire at the head of his cattle hers, and also breed Duroc swine, with good financial results. Mr. Titterington was married, January 4, 1911, to Cora B. Tyler, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Winfield Tyler, and he and his wife have three children: Mary B., born October 13, 1911; Irene A., November 14, 1914; and Arthur P. September 13, 1916. The family are affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church.
Titterington, Sr., James A. (page 443), a Minnesota pioneer who passed away a few years ago, was born in County Down, Ireland, March 12, 1842. He came to the United States in 1859, a young man of seventeen, and first located in New York state, where he remained two years. In 1861 he came west to Minnesota, but soon went to Eau Claire, Wis., where he found employment in the lumber camps for some time also working as a raftsman on the river. In 1866 he turned his attention to farming, buying a tract of 40 acres of land, to which he added subsequently until he owned 240 acres lying partly in Elgin Township, Wabasha County, and Viola Township, Olmsted County, also eight lots in Elgin village. He was a member of the Masonic order and belonged also to the Old Settlers' Association of Elgin. His marriage to Mary Bunyon took place November 26, 1868. It resulted in five children, the first born of whom, Howard , is deceased. Those living are Frank, Ralph, Minnie and James, Jr. Minnie is now the wife of Erwin Cowles, James Titterington (Sr.) Died February 18, 1915, and his wife, who survived him, is now living with her son, James A.
Tobias, Martin H. (p. 485), a well known and highly esteemed citizen of Kellogg, where he is now living retired, was born on a farm in Cumberland, Pennsylvania, September 8, 1849, son of Simon and Elizabeth (Handshue) Tobias. The parents were both natives of Pennsylvania and were farmers by occupation. The father died in 1860 at the age of about 49 years. His wife survived him more than half a century, dying in August, 1912, aged 89 years. They had nine children, two of whom died young. Of the other, John died in 1912, Ida in April 1918, and Ellen in 1916. Those who are living are: Jane, wife of John Tritt, of Carlisle, Penn.; Martin H., of Kellogg, Minn.; Emma, widow of George Nailor, of Battle Creek, Iowa; and Catherine, widow of Fred Hastings of Huntsdale, Penn. Martin H. Tobias was educated in the public schools of Carlisle, Penn., and at a select school, where he spent one year. He then became a teacher, following that occupation for three years in Pennsylvania, then teaching the winter term of 1870-71 in Ohio, afterwards going to St. Louis, and then in the fall of 1871 coming to Minnesota, and spending the following winter in Minneapolis. In the spring he returned to Chicago, from there going to southern Illinois, but in the same year he came back to Minnesota and located in Plainview, for a year or two being employed in farm work and teaching. In the spring of 1874 he became clerk in Robert Cochren's hardware store in Kellogg, and was thus employed for 16 months. He then located on a farm in Cook's Valley, Highland Township, and devoted his energies to agriculture, an occupation in which he was successfully engaged until 1881, since which time he as lived retired in Kellogg. Mr. Tobias was married in May, 1876, to Mrs. Frances Canfield Calvin, who was born in Pennsylvania, daughter of John and Margaret (Greer) Canfield. Her parents, who were natives of Pennsylvania, of Scotch descent, in 1855 settled at the locality now known as Canfield Springs, in Cook's Valley, this county, being the first settlers in the upper part of the valley. There they spent the rest of their lives in farming. Their daughter Frances, one of ten children, was one of the early school teachers in in Wabasha County. She was first married to George Calvin, of Meadville, Penn., by whom she had one child, Margaret, who is now the wife of Joseph Schierts of Kellogg. By her second husband, Martin H. Tobias, she has had six children; five of whom are now living, namely: Elizabeth, wife of John Bricher of Kellogg, who has seven children; Alta, wife of Curtis Siebe of Westwood, Cal., who has one daughter; Wilma, wife of Clifford Cloe, of Whitefish, Mont., who has one son; Harry M. of Kellogg, and Ida E., wife of Forrest Cleveland of Sacramento, Cal. Harry M. Tobias enlisted in February, 1917, in the 318th Engineers, and served with that organization in France, being honorably discharged October 17, 1919. Mr. Tobias served several terms as recorder on the village board and has been justice of the peace of the town of Greenfield for 30 years. Mrs. Tobias died in 1895.
Tomforde, John (page 442), a respected resident of Lake City whose successful career as a farmer in Mt. Pleasant Township has placed him beyond the need of further toil, was born in Hanover, Germany, February 28, 1862, son of Lawrence and Anna (Popp) Tomforde. He had some schooling in his native land, and at the age of eleven years lost his mother. In 1883, having attained his majority, his father being yet living, though now deceased, he came to the United States, locating at Red Wing, Minn., where he found work as a common laborer. On December 25, 1884, he married Mattie Henn who was born in Hanover, Germany, August 12, 1858, and who had come in 1881 to this country, where she had brothers. Mr. and Mrs. Tomforde began domestic life in Red Wing, but soon removed to Hay Creek Township, Goodhue county, where they resided two years, later being residents of Burnside Township for twelve years. During a part of this time Mr. Tomforde worked two years for a Mr. Meyer in the milk business, and eight years in a tannery at Red Wing. In the fall of 1896 he began his independent career as a farmer, buying 280 acres in section 24 and 25, Mt. Pleasant Township, Wabasha County, moving to the farm in the spring of 1897, and he and his family taking up their residence in a frame house which stood on it, which owing to improvements made by himself, is now a comfortable two-story dwelling of nine rooms. His other improvements included the erection of a frame barn, 38 by 60 by 18; a granary, 20 by 30 by 12, with a lean-to on both sides for tools; and a steel windmill. Favored with a productive soil, Mr. Tomforde followed general farming very successfully until 1912, getting 240 acres of his land under the plow, when, finding himself in possession of a competence, he transferred the operation of the farm to his son Louis and took up his residence in Lake City, where he and his wife are living in a home of their own, at No. 417 North Prairie avenue, enjoying a period of well-earned leisure. Mr. Tomforde has always been a Republican and served his township as supervisor for four terms, also serving on the school board for many years, his ability as a farmer being matched by his usefulness as a citizen. All that he has was gained through his own efforts, with the assistance of his wife and children, and his record is one to command respect. To Mr. and Mrs. Tomforde six children have been born: Anna, now Mrs. Joseph Fick, of Hyde Park Township; Louis, operating the home farm in Mt. Pleasant Township; Minnie, who is the wife of William Wiebush of Belvidere Township, Goodhue County; John, of Lake Township; Mary, now Mrs. Bernard Carlson of Lake City, and Ella, residing at home with her parents.
Tomforde, Louis W. (page 443), operator of a fine farm of 280 acres in sections 24 and 25, Mt. Pleasant Township, was born in Burnside Township, Goodhue County, October 16, 1888, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Tomforde. He was educated in the common school, which he attended up to the age of 14 years, after which he was associated with his father in the operation of the home farm, on which he now resides. Since his father's retirement in 1912 he has been the sole manager and is conducting a good business in general farming and stock raising, keeping Shorthorn cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs, besides sheep. Industrious and enterprising, he is managing the large farm of 280 acres to the best advantage and with profitable results. He has a good set of buildings and modern operating equipment, also owning a good auto car. Politically he is a member of the Non-Partisan League. Mr. Tomforde was married September 25, 1912, to Christina, daughter of L. H. Roschen of Mt. Pleasant Township, and who was born in Florence Township, Goodhue County, Minn., May 31, 1890. Mr. and Mrs. Tomforde are the parents of two children: Luvonna Mattie Anna, born November 9, 1915; and Henrietta Johanna Anna, born September 9, 1917. Mr. Tomforde and family are members of St. John's congregation of Lake City, and are people held in high esteem in the northern part of Wabasha County.
Tradup, Charles (p. 399), a well known and respected citizen of the village
of Elgin, where he is now engaged in light occupation, having retired from the more strenuous
business of general farming, was born in Osage, Iowa, April 22, 1858, son of Louis and
Anna (Weinrebe) Tradup. The parents were natives of Schleswig, Germany, the father born
February 6, 1831. Married in their native province, they came to the United States in 1855,
locating at once in Osage, Iowa, where Louis Tradup followed his trade of cabinet maker and
carpenter. In 1860 they came to Olmsted County, Minn., taking a farm of 160 acres near Potsdam,
in Farmington Township, and there they spent the rest of their lives, Louis Tradup dying
April 12, 1913. Theirs was the life of typical pioneers. Their farm, when they first took possession
of it, was all wild prairie land, and it took many years of hard work to develop it into the
valuable piece of property it is today, with a fine residence and an ample set of good buildings. It is
now owned and occupied by their son, Henry. All their children were sons, namely: August,
John, Charles, Mathias and Henry; all but John are now living.
Charles Tradup was educated in the common schools of Farmington Township, Olmsted County, and remained on the home farm until he was 23 years old. In 1880 he bought a farm of 80 acres in section 9, Elgin Township, where he farmed until 1900. Then he sold the place and bought an improved farm of 278 acres in sections 28 and 33, in the same township. Though improved, the place was much run down, the buildings especially being poor. Some of them he rebuilt, besides erecting others, and continued his operations in this direction until he had a fine set, including a good modern residence. He also fenced almost the entire farm with woven-wire fencing and made it one of the best improved and equipped farms in the township. There he followed general agriculture for a number of years, also dealing largely in cattle, which he bought, fed and shipped to market, usually about three or four carloads a year. These enterprises proved profitable, and in 1913 he retired from general farming, renting the place to his son-in-law, Herman Uecker. In 1916 Mr. Tradup built his present residence in Elgin, which is thoroughly modern in every particular, with an inside finish of hardwood, and which is heated by the vapor system. It is now one of the most artistic and comfortable homes in the village. Mr. Tradup is still engaged in stock buying, and also in the raising of produce. He is a stockholder of the First State Bank, and a member of the Elgin Co-operative Creamery Association. While residing on his farm he took an active part in public affairs, serving for some time on both the town and school boards. On December 25, 1881, Mr. Tradup was united in marriage with Louise Quentin, who was born in Boston, Mass., June 28, 1865, daughter of Louis and Katherine (Lierman) Quentin. Her parents, who were married in Boston, came west about 1870, locating first at St. Paul, and later at Potsdam, Olmsted County, Minn., where Mr. Quentin followed his trade of harnessmaker. He is now dead, but his widow still resides in Potsdam. Their children were Louis (first), now deceased, Louisa, Charles, Della and Louis (second). To Mr. And Mrs. Tradup ten children have been born: Edward, January 1, 1883; Leanora, August 18, 1884; Ruby, May 20, 1886; Lilly, February 19, 1889; Alma, April 21, 1891; Verna, July 11, 1895; Adelaide, June 20, 1897; Carlton, March 31, 1904; Quentin, October 6, 1908; and Harold, July 14, 1910. The family are members of the Lutheran church.
Trank, Fritz O.
Tupper, Frank H.