Adams, John C., M.D., (page 1155), Lake City, is a native of Ireland,
and was born in Iniskillen, in 1831, and is a son of John Adams, who for many
years was a prominent merchant of that city. Early in the spring of 1841, Mr. Adams with
his family emigrated to the United States, and settled on a farm in Kentucky, and for a
time engaged in agricultural pursuits. Being unacquainted with, and having a dislike for, the
principles of slave labor, he failed to make it a success, sold his farm and removed to
Clarksville, Tennessee, where he again embarked in mercantile pursuits. He died in 1850, and his
maiden name was Alice McCalon, is still living in Russellville, Kentucky. Dr. Adams
received an academic education at Clarksville, Tennessee, pursued and completed the classics
a private tutor, and began his professional course with Dr. Williams, of Todd County, Kentucky.
attended lectures at the medical department of the university at Louisville, Kentucky,
in its palmy days, when the eminent S. D. Gross and Austin Flint were its professors. After
practicing in Kentucky, Texas and Louisiana, he finally graduated from the medical department
Louisiana University. He then resumed the practice of medicine in Cado Parish, near
Shrevesport, Louisiana, and continued the practice, though somewhat obstructed by failing
health, till the outbreak of the late war, when he was appointed assistant surgeon of the 30th
Miss. regt. This position he filled with credit and ability, and was finally transferred to the
position of hospital surgeon, at Newnan, Georgia, and was on duty at Macon, Georgia, at the
Gen. Lee's surrender. Overwork and ill health has so prostrated him, that in 1868 he
determined to seek recuperation in the north, and that year came to Lake City, as rector of the
Episcopal church. His theological studies had been pursued under Biship Greene, in Jackson,
Mississippi, during his physical inability to practice medicine, and had taken deacons' orders
to 1861, and priests' orders in 1867. He remained in charge of the Episcopal church till 1872,
his health being unequal to the work, he resigned, and resumed the practice of medicine and
surgery, in Lake City and surrounding country. As a surgeon, Dr. Adams has been eminently
successful, having performed some very complicated, and, in fact, some of most noted operations
known to the profession. He is a member of the Masonic fraternities of Lake City. His first
marriage was in 1861, to Miss Hellen Doty, of eastern New York. She died in 1874. His second
marriage was on July 1, 1875, to Mrs. Elizabeth O. McNairy, a native of Philadelphia. They
have a family of four sons and four daughters.
Adams, William T., M.D., (page 1300), son of Samuel and Mary A. Adams, was born in the town of Lee, Oneida county, New York, August 7, 1849. Up to his thirteenth year the subject of this sketch attended the district schools in his native county, when he entered the high school at Utica, New York, where he remained two years. In October, 1864, the doctor's parents removed to Plainview, Minnesota, and he followed them to that place in June, 1865. From this time until 1869 the doctor worked with his father at the printer's trade, attending school part of the time winters. During the summer of 1870 our subject taught school in what is known as the Jerry Baldwin district, northeast of the village of Plainview. In September of the same year the doctor entered Carleton College, at Northfield, Minnesota, where he remained during the fall and winter. The doctor had heretofore determined to study medicine, and had arranged to enter the office of Dr. N. S. Tefft, of Plainview. Upon his return from Northfield, during the spring of 1871, he entered the employment of A. Y. Felton as deputy postmaster in the Plainview postoffice, which position he held for a year and a half, in the meantime devoting all his spare time to the study of medicine. During the fall and winter of 1872-3 the doctor attended his first course of lectures at Rush Medical College, at Chicago, Illinois, and in the fall of 1873 he entered the employ of Dr. J. J. Stone, as prescription-clerk in his drug-store at Wabasha, Minnesota, where he remained for nearly a year, and in the fall and winter of 1874-5 he attended his final course of lectures at Rush Medical College, graduating in the month of February, 1875, having earned his own education since he attended district school in his native state. After returning to the employ of Dr. J. J. Stone in Wabasha, where he remained for a period of ten months, our subject settled in Elgin village, and entered upon the practice of his profession there, March 28, 1876, where he now resides on a good property of his own on Main street. Besides his medical practice, the doctor has charge of the Elgin drug-store, which is conducted under the firm name of Landon, Burchard & Co. Dr. Adams was married in Plainview, Minnesota, on August 29, 1875, to Miss Nellie A. Gibbs, daughter of the late Dr. F. C. Gibbs and Mrs. Sarah Gibbs, the latter of whom now resides in Plainview. The issue of the marriage is a follows: Grace, born September 9, 1877, died April 26, 1881; Carl Chauncey, born June 3, 1883. The doctor has never sought for political honors of any nature whatever, but looks after the educational interests of the community in which he resides, as school director of district No. 57.
Affeld, L. & J., (page 1110), livery, sale and feed stables, corner Second and Bailly streets. Business established by Louis F. Affeld in 1882 in connection with the Green Bay House, which his father (Godfred Affeld) opened in 1869, and which has been under Louis F. Affeld's management since 1877. The livery stock consists of thirteen head of horses, ten carriages and buggies, and there is a stable force of four hands. The stock is quite new, maintained in good condition, and being within one block of the Commercial Hotel, is in a good location for business. The barn, built in 1882, is 32 x 60 feet, with carriage house, 24 x 32 feet, attached. Louis F. Affeld is the son of Godfred and Dorothea Affeld, natives of Bavaria, who came to America in 1853, and three years later to Minnesota, settling near Crystal Lake, where Louis was born Jun 12, 1859. The family came to this county in May, 1862, residing for a time in Read's Landing, and settled in this city one year later. Mr. Godfred Affeld pursued his trade as a wagonmaker until 1869, when he opened the Green Bay House. There are six children, only two of whom are now living at home, Louis F. and his sister Hulda, who was born March 4, 1855.
Akers, George W., (page 1050), son of Simeon and Margaret Akers, was ushered into this world in 1855, in the State of Kentucky. His youth was spent on the farm, and he was educated at the district schools. He lived at different times in Wisconsin and Kentucky, and finally came to Hastings, Minnesota, in the year 1860. In 1876 he removed to Zumbro Falls, Gillford township, and has been there ever since. In politics he is a democrat. He married Belle Dane, of Wisconsin, and has three children, Simeon, Emma and George.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Alexander, Ewin, (page 999), carpenter and builder, Lake City, was born in Richmond, Maine, August 25, 1835. His parents, Ewin Alexander and Sarah Melcher, were born in Brunswick, same state. The early life of this subject was passed on the farm, and his education was supplied by the common school. At eighteen he began carpentrywork and has followed it nearly ever since. Many fine buildings in this county, including the county-house and the new Lake City schoolhouse, are of his construction. He became a resident of Lake City in 1856. Two years were subsequently spent in Mississippi and he returned in 1860. September 18, 1861, he entered the 1st Minn. regt. Vols., Co. I, and served in the army of the Potomac. He was a participant in the battles of Ball's Bluff, the Peninsula campaign, West Point, Fair Oaks, Savage Station, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill and Antietam. He was discharged in 1863, and soon went on board the merchant vessel General Grant as ship's carpenter. After sailing from Boston to San Francisco, he then went on the Seaman's Bride to Baker's Island where the vessel was wrecked in the spring of 1865, and the crew was left for fifty-five days on this barren coral island until picked up by the packet schooner Odd Fellow. Arriving at San Francisco Mr. Alexander set out for Boston in the Wild Hunter, which was out one hundred and forty-four days on the voyage around Cape Horn to Boston. In the fall of 1866 our subject returned to Lake City, which has been his home since. December 7, 1870, he espoused in marriage Miss Frances C., eldest daughter of F. G. Slocum, of this city. Their children are bright and promising, christened Helen, Kate, Sarah and Anna. Mr. Alexander is a member of the Masonic order and of the A.O.U.W. His religion is "Peace on earth, good will to man," and his voting has always been with the republican party.
Amerland, G. H., (page 942), farmer, N.W. 1/4 of Sec. 10, R. 10 of T. 110. This farm was taken as a homestead May 22, 1854, the old log house, still standing in good repair, was erected that same season and did duty as the family residence twenty-two years, when the present comfortable brick structure was put up. The farm now embraces two hundred acres. His barns were built in 1873, his granary and wagon-sheds in 1883. Mr. Amerland was born in Germany, came to America in 1846 and settled in New Orleans, and was there until 1851; then came up the river to Illinois, and, after spending two years there, came to Minnesota, to Point Douglas, and made a claim which he did not perfect. That same fall, 1853, he went to New Orleans to meet his brother, who had just come over from Europe, and in the following spring they made their claims on the prairie just east of the present corporate limits of Wabasha. September 3, 1856, G. H. Amerland married Christine Frank. Their children are: Mary, born September 13, 1857; Emma, born November 20, 1858; Lucy, born September 22, 1861; Kate, born December 1, 1862; William H., born July 20, 1867, now attending high school at Wabasha.
Amerland, Herman, (page 980), farmer; lands lying in sections 3 and 4, range 10, township 110, and aggregate two hundred acres. Mr. Amerland has resided in Wabasha county on his present farm almost thirty years, having taken his claim of eighty acres as a homestead in 1854. This claim was proved up in 1858; forty acres were added by scrip title, and rest since acquired. The crop for 1883 was: corn, 10 acres, yield per acre, -bushels; oats, 14 acres, yield per acre, 40 bushels; wheat, 12 acres, yield per acre, 18 bushels; barley, 10 acres, yield per acre, 35 bushels; grass, 30 acres, yield per acre, 2 tons; stock, 95 head. Mr. Amerland was born in Hanover, Germany, May 14, 1822; married Miss Catharine Budke, of his native place, January 2, 1852, and the following year, 1853, came to America. That winter was spent in St. Louis, and in the following June a settlement was made in the farm, which has now been the family home for over twenty-nine years. The children, all born in this county, are: Henry, born November 8, 1855, graduated from Wabasha High School in 1873, and now banking at Minto, Dakota; Anna, born April 8, 1857; Louisa, born June 23, 1859; Sophia, born March 23, 1864; Eduard, born January 9, 1870; John, born April 25, 1872; Clara, born February 18, 1875. Three of the children are in attendance at the Wabasha city school, the farm lying partly within the city limits.
Amsbry, William H., (page 1006), deceased, was born in New Hampshire in 1817, and was reared on a farm in Shenango county, New York, from the time he was six years of age. In 1836 he was married to Miss Charlotte Coley, and followed agricultural pursuits in Shenango county till 1856, when he removed to the new and untried State of Minnesota. He first settled in Mazeppa, in this county, and there bought out and completed the first mill begun in the county. In 1860 he sold out and removed to Lake City, where he conducted an extensive grain and general commission business. He died in 1881, and is much missed by his friends and fellow citizens. Mr. Amsbry served this county as commissioner, in its early history, and Lake City as a staunch friend and advisor in later years.
Anderson, John, (page 1161), clerk, in charge of merchandise department of the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company's business here, has been in the employ of the company nearly ten years. Mr. Anderson was born near Vexio, Sweden, and came to America with his father's family in 1857, at which time he was seven years of age. They settled in Chisago County, in this state, on a farm, and there young Anderson remained until he was eighteen years of age. His education was received in the district schools of that county, and afterward in the village of Pepin, where he was engaged in clerking prior to coming to Read's Landing. July 20, 1871, he married Miss Sarah Holden; of Pepin. They have three children: Mabel, born August 20, 1872; Maud, December 17, 1877; Norman E., September 22, 1881. Mr. Anderson is a prominent member of the Methodist Espiscopal church in this place, and since his connection therewith has been recording steward of the society.
Anderson, Abram J., (page 1145), eldest son of this family, was born at Rome October 9, 1838. He had but brief opportunities for education, and left home at twenty to secure a home in the west. In August, 1858, he arrived in Zumbro and at once purchased one hundred and twenty acres on section 18. Four years later he sold this and settled where he now dwells, on section 19. Here he has one hundred and twenty acres, besides twenty acres timber in Mazeppa, a quarter-section in LacQui Parle county, and two lots in the village of Appleton. He was member of the board of supervisors in 1865, 1868-9, and chairman of that body in 1870-1-2-3-4-5-6-7. Politically he is a democrat. September 23, 1873, he was united in matrimony to Miss Melvina Mitchell, who was born in Sangerville, Maine; her parents-Joseph S. and Lovina Mitchell-were of Irish and English origin. Mrs. Anderson is a Universalist, but her husband has no particular religious views-although not an atheist. Their children were born as follows: Mott M., July 20, 1874; Blanche E., March 24, 1876; Lynn R., July 12, 1880; Jesse S., August 6, 1882.
Anderson, William H. (page 1144), is a brother of the above (Welcome Wallace Anderson) born in the same place (Rome, New York) March 12, 1846. He received a limited common-school education. All his life has been occupied in farming. When twenty years old he came to Zumbro, and was some time occupied in farm labor for others, and in renting land. In 1867 he bought eighty acres of land on section 19, and has lived thereon since 1869. This land he has cleared of the undergrowth which covered it, and has erected comfortable buildings. He is an independent democrat, and served the town two years as town constable. All his possessions have been accumulated by labor since his arrival here. December 23, 1867, he married Mary Etta Lyman, who was born in North Ferrisburg, Addison county, Vermont.
Anderson, Welcome Wallace, (page 1144), farmer, Zumbro, is a son of Levi and Harriet (Carpenter) Anderson, of New York, and was born at Rome, that state, June 3, 1851. His youth was passed on a farm there, with little opportunity for education. He is a man of natural endowments, and is a good citizen; politically, a democrat. For six years he has served as town constable, making an efficient officer, and has several times captured offenders where others had failed. He came to this town in 1866, and was several years employed as a farm laborer. In 1875 he bought forty acres on section 18, where his home is, and four years later bought eighty more. He is now comfortably situated on a fine farm. October 12, 1873, he married Ellen C. Pryor, whose parentage is elsewhere shown. The births of their children is here given: Lessie May, November 24, 1874; Wallace Welcome, May 7, 1877; Edith E., January 25, 1879; Harriet C., January 29, 1881.
Anding, Fred, (page 1056), farmer, was born in Germany in 1845. When he was eight years old he came to this country with his parents, who settled in Wisconsin. In 1859 he removed to Glasgow township, Wabasha county, and after a residence there of six years he bought a farm in Gillford township, where he has since lived. He has one hundred and twenty acres of well improved land all under cultivation, and sufficiently stocked to make it quite profitable. One of Mr. Anding's chief delights is to own the finest team of horses in the section of country in which he lives. He was married at Wabasha in 1866, to Louisa Umbreight, and seven children have been born to them. They are both members of the German Lutheran church at Jacksonville.
War of 1812
Angell, William D., (page 1132), druggist, was born in Edmiston, Otsego county, New York, May 23, 1835. He is the youngest son of David and Huldah Angell, and grandson of Jonathan Angell, who was born in Exeter, New York. David Angell was born on his father's homestead in Exeter in 1798, and is still living in Burlington, same county. The mother of William D. Angell died when he was but three months old, and his father afterward married Abigail, daughter of Benedict Oatley, a soldier of the war of 1812. Mr. Angell helped his father to clear a farm in New York, and received a fair common school education. He remained on the same farm till 1862, when he paid a visit to the west. After spending nine months in Mazeppa, he returned to New York. In the fall of 1866 he again came to Mazeppa, and the next year opened a boot and shoe store. Here he was married to Miss Alice, daughter of Benjamin Southwick, of New York. Mrs. Angell was born in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania. Early in 1870, immediately after his marriage, he again took up his abode in New York, and remained six years. Since the spring of 1876 he has been a resident of Mazeppa, and engaged in the sale of drugs. In 1877 he built the store which he now occupies. From a small beginning, he has now built up a successful business, and is a leading citizen of the village. He is a republican and a Freethinker.
Annond, William, (page 1332), farmer, son of James and Jane Annond, was born in Scotland in 1832. His parents had six children, of which our subject is the only oneliving. In 1868 William found his way to America and soon settled in this county, buying a farm consisting of 160 acres, where he still resides. Although Mr. Annond has been director and clerk of the school district in which he lives, still he prefers quiet to active life in public affairs; consequently he simply votes the republican ticket. He was united in marriageto Isabel Wilson, a native of Scotland, and has six children, christened as follow: Jennis, Margaret, James, George, Anna Bell, Jessie Marlon, Alice Willimine (deceased).
Appel, Lawrence William, (page 1150), a Highland farmer, resides on a fine farm of two hundred and forty acres in West Indian Creek valley. He was born in Baden, Germany, September 17, 1842, his parents being Adam and Catherine (Eckert) Appel. In 1845 Mr. Appel, Sr., died of yellow fever in Texas, and two years later the widowed mother emigrated with her family to Mercer county, Pennsylvania, where she engaged in agricultural pursuits. Lawrence working on her farm summers, and attending winter schools until he reached his twentieth year, when he went to Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed in the oil regions and railroad shops for several years in Meadville, Pittsburgh, Sharon and Middlesex. He was in Pittsburgh at the time the raider Morgan menaced the peace of that city. While on a visit to his brother Stephen, in Highland, in August, 1866, he was induced to open a blacksmith-shop, near what was then known as Hampe's Mill. In 1869 he bought the farm where he now resides, from E. Lathrop. November 11 of the same year he was married to Margaret Arvilla, daughter of George and Elizabeth (Brawley) Harncame, natives of Pennsylvania, and Wabasha county pioneers. Mr. Appel is a member of the Catholic church. He was a member of the board of supervisors in 1880.
Arendt, Philip (page 1163), is one of the largest farmers of Chester township. His estate now includes five hundred and eighty acres, all but thirty of which are improved, and has been made by his own industry and thrift from small beginnings. He was born in Belgium, on December 6, 1847. His father was a farmer, and till twelve years old he passed the life of a Belgian farmer's son, receiving a fair common school education in his native tongue. In 1860 his parents crossed the Atlantic, and settled at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. From that time young Philip earned his own livelihood, and had no chance for English schooling. Two years were spent in learning the shoemaker's trade, after which he worked as journeyman in Milwaukee, Chicago and other cities. He was married in Milwaukee, on March 28, 1870, to Miss Kate Ludovise, a native of Wisconsin. In 1868 Mr. Arendt came to Chester, but soon removed to Dakota county, where for five years he kept a saloon and shoemaker's shop combined. Tiring of the associations attending the liquor trade, he returned to Chester, and bought one hundred and sixty acres on sections 7 and 8. In 1876 he built the large residence on section 8, which he occupies. Two years later he built a granary, 22 x 32, with basement, and two years after a barn, 40 x 60. In 1876 he dug a well near the house, and found, at a depth of sixty-four feet, a perfectly preserved piece of wood, which he still retains. The family is included in Belle Chester Roman Catholic society, and includes children born as follows: Nicholas, January 6, 1871; Susan, March 6, 1872; Josephine, December 3, 1874; Mary, September 1, 1876; Peter, March 8, 1878; August, July 19, 1879; Catharine, August 22, 1881; Margaret, August 3, 1883. A daughter was born August 28, 1873, and christened Josephine, but soon died. Thus, for each or four calendar years in succession, a child was born.
Note from Fellow Genealogist: I believe Philip is related to my wife's Arendt ancestors and is a younger brother to Nicholas of Luxembourg, Belgium. I also believe that Maria Ana Reiter may be related to the Reiters of Wabasha (Emil, Julius, & William). One of her children, Elizabeth Jonas, married Peter Arendt from which my wife descended. I'd be interested in more information on both Phillip & the Reiters. I'm willing to share information. Thank you. Jim
Arnold, James, (page 1034), farmer. Among the early settlers of Zumbro township was the subject of this paragraph. He is a native of England, born July 9, 1832, in Swallowclift, Wiltshire. His father, James Arnold, was an innkeeper and market gardener, and died when the son was seventeen years old. The latter received a fair education, and is now a well-informed and useful citizen. He is a liberal patron of the newspapers, and has a large and choice library of books. Probably very few farmers maintain so large a one. At eighteen years of age young Arnold set out for America to find a home for his widowed mother and sisters. He spent three years at Brecksville, Ohio, serving the first two in learning the mason's trade. While here, his mother and family arrived, and all removed in 1853 to Danville, Illinois. Mr. Arnold purchased some land in Clark county, that state, on which the family dwelt, while he pursued his trade at Danville. In 1857 the family set out for Minnesota, traveling all the way with four yokes of oxen. On arrival in Zumbro, Mr. Arnold took up one-fourth of section 32, where the family remained. Here the mother still dwells. Shortly before her removal to America she married Stephen Sumner, who died here in August 1879. Her daughters, Mrs. G. C. Everett and Mrs. Sidney Corp, are elsewhere mentioned in this work. After two and one-half years' residence here, Mr. Arnold returned to Illinois and remained for alike period, and again returned to Minnesota, with a horse team this time, bringing a bride, to whom he was united in 1862. Mrs. Arnold's maiden name was Mary A. Wheeler, and she was born in Tavistock, Devonshire, England, In the fall of 1868 Mr. Arnold took up his residence in Farmington township, south of Zumbro, where he served two years as justice of the peace, and now resides. His political opinions agree with the republican party. Himself and wife were among the first members of Greenwood Wesleyan Methodist church. By persistence and continued toil Mr. Arnold has secured a comfortable home. His is now in possession of three hundred and sixty acres of fine prairie soil, a part of which lies in Zumbro. His family includes six sons and one daughter-all, save the eldest, at home, one son having died in infancy. Here are their names: Charles, Franklin William, Ernest G., Arthur Wesley, Wallace James, Alice M. and Earl R.
Arnold, Charles A., (page 1137), farmer, was born in 1840, in the town of Rush, Jo Daviess county, Illinois. His parents were Adam and Anna M. Arnold of Pennsylvania, and were among the pioneer settlers of that state. He was reared on a farm there, and married Helena Black, daughter of Elam, elsewhere sketched, January 25, 1862. On the 5th of August, same year, he enlisted in the 96th Ill. regt., and joined the army of the Tennessee, serving till June 28, 1865. Was in the following battles: Chickamauga, Buzzard's Roost, Rocky Ford Bridge, Resaca, New Oak Church, Pine Mountain, Kennesaw Mountain, Pearl Tree Creek, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Franklin, Nashville. Although he received no wounds, his health was permanently injured, the effects being more apparent as time goes by. In the winter of 1860-1 he was here and bought land, which he afterward sold. After the war closed he took up his residence in Mazeppa, where he owns a house and two lots. He is an enthusiastic republican. Orthodox in faith. Has seven children, christened this: Julia A. (Mrs. James Stull), lives in town of Mazeppa; Charles E., Edith M., Freddie H., Bertie Freeman, Wayne and Glenn.
Arnold, W. J., (page 980), coroner of Wabasha county since 1868; office with the county attorney, over Schwirtz' drygoods house on Main street. Mr. Arnold was born at Smithfield, Rhode Island, August 14, 1810; was educated at the academy in his native town, and came west as far as Steuben county, New York, in 1835, clerking and teaching school there until 1839. He then started a grocery and provision store in Corning, New York; was burned out twice, and passed through the usual experiences of a young business man under two misfortunes of that kind before coming to the Mississippi in 1856, just after his second misfortune of that kind. He visited Wabasha in August, 1856, and immediately engaged to take charge of the general merchandising business of H. S. Allen & Co., of Chippewa Falls, which they had established here. He remained in their employ until they were wiped out in the financial crash of 1858. In 1859-60 he was member of the state legislature for this representative district, and upon the election of Mr. Lincoln to the presidency was appointed postmaster here, holding office during the two terms for which Mr. Lincoln was elected, and on the termination of his services with the postal department was elected county coroner, which office he continues to hold. He was justice of the peace from 1872 to 1876, also from 1879 to 1883. October 26, 1841, Mr. Arnold married Miss Harriet N. Kress, of Covington, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. They have three sons, John K., born July 20, 1842; Ralph E., born December 1, 1844; William F., born April 21, 1850.
Asher, John, (page 1227), farmer, was born in Banffshire, October 18, 1835,
being the second of four children born to Alexander and Jane Findlay-Asher,
both of whom died
in Scotland. The elder Asher was a farmer, and our subject lived on the
homestead till 1880,
when he came with his family to West Albany township, and located on the farm
of two hundred
acres which he now owns. He was married December 4, 1863, to Margaret Asher,
Aberdeenshire. To this union have been born eleven children, of whom nine are
Alexander, William L., Isabella J., George W., James L., Margaret A., Mary D.
D., Bathia P.,
Janett W. Mr. Asher is a republican, and, with his wife, belongs to the United