Bailey, George, (page 950), Zumbro, is one of the most intelligent and substantial farmers of this township. His was the second claim made and the second house built in the town. Mr. Bailey is a native of Ireland, born in the parish of Lorne, County Tipperary, about 1822. He was reared on a farm, and received a fair common school education. When about thirty years old he came with his fathers' family to America, and engaged in farming in Iowa. Here his father died, and he set out to look up a home for the family. He arrived in Zumbro (then Mazeppa) in June, 1855, and located on section 25, where his home has been ever since. He now has two hundred and sixty acres here, besides twenty acres of timber. On this he has placed large and handsome buildings, He had little means when he came here, and has just reason for pride in the success which his labor has wrought. His religious faith corresponds with that of the Wesleyan Methodists. Politically he is an independent democrat. In the winter of 1859-60 he married Mary Little, born in New York of Scotch parentage. She died in 1864, leaving two children, of whom only one is now living, christened Elizabeth. In 1866-7 he was married to Isabel, a sister of his first wife. Her father was one of the pioneers in the adjoining town of Farmington, Olmsted county. Five children have blessed this union, and are named this: Frank, Andrew, John, Robert and Mabel. Mr. Bailey's parents were Thomas and Jane. The latter came here in 1856, and died in 1864. Benjamin, the eldest son, took land in this town, and died in 1870, without any family. Thomas and Andrew, two other sons, still reside in the town.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Baker, Benjamin Franklin, (page 1334), veterinary surgeon, Elgin, was born in Kirkland, Oneida county, New York, November 5, 1842. His parents - James and Anna Baker- were natives of England, County Kent, and emigrated to America in 1820. For many years the elder Baker engaged in mercantile business in Philadelphia, and during the War of the Rebellion was occupied in supplying horses to the government for cavalry and artillery purposes. In 1859 he settled in Walworth, Wisconsin, and in Elgin in 1869. The subject of this sketch was educated in an academy at Whitesborough, Oneida county. In August, 1861, he entered Company F, First Wisconsin Cavalry, and served one year. He re-enlisted as a veteran in 1862, in Company C, Twenty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteers. His service was in the western department of the Union army, and he was an actor in the battles of Helena, Arkansas, Columbus, Kentucky, Vicksburg, Mobile Bay, Capture of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, Little Rock, Red River Expedition and battle at Shreveport, Fort Donelson, Pensacola, Forts Morgan and Gaines, besides numerous smaller engagements. He was mustered out at Brownsville, Texas, in October, 1865. For three years he served under detail as veterinary surgeon, and has since made that profession his chief occupation. He settled at Elgin in 1869, and has since permanently dwelt here. February 22, 1871, he was united in marriage with Miss Jeannette Featherstone, who was born in Walworth, Wis., and is nine years her husband's junior. Two children have been given to this couple, born and christened as follows: July 29, 1872, Nora; May 20, 1876, Merton. In religious views Mr. Baker is quite liberal. He is a thorough Republican in political opinion. In the spring of 1884 he was elected assessor over the caucus nominee. He is now doing a lucrative and successful business in the practice of his profession and is among the progressive citizens of the tornado-scourged town.
Baldwin, Myron Augustine, (page 1153), deceased. The demise of this
highly-esteemed citizen was to Lake City what the death of President Garfield
was to the nation. He was born in Sheldon, Wyoming county, New York, May 21, 1832, and died of
cerebra-spinal fever in Lake City, February 23, 1881. His parents, Eleazer and Rachel
(Martindale) Baldwin, removed with their family from Sheldon to Varysburg in 1843. The next year the
father died and the family returned to their farm in Sheldon, and kept together till 1851. Mr.
Baldwin, then in his nineteenth year, engaged as a clerk in the store of Hon. Wolcott J. Humphrey,
and in 1854 went to Wallingford, Vermont, to serve in the employ of his uncles, Edwin and
William Martindale, the former of whom he in time bought out, and thus commenced business for
himself. His mercantile pursuits were continued in Wallingford till 1868, when he sold out,
and with a view to recuperating his failing health, removed to Minnesota, permanently locating in
Lake City. Here he soon regained his health sufficiently to embark in active business
pursuits, and from that time till overtaken by his last illness he was one of Lake City's most active and
esteemed citizens. November 1, 1873, he was made a director in the Lake City Bank, and in 1876
transferred his interests to the First National. He was then made one of its directors, and
before the close of the same year was made its president. In April, 1880, he was elected mayor of the
city as the people's candidate. During his residence in this city his principal vocation was
dealing in livestock, and only those who were his intimate friends could form an adequate conception of
the magnitude of the business transacted under his personal supervision. With this great strain
of mind and body, and with a physical constitution insufficient to endure the labor which his
extraordinary brain devised, it was evident to those who best knew him that his work was too great
for him. Nevertheless he remained in the business harness till but a few hours before
his death. Upon the announcement of his death the flag on the council chamber was placed at half-
mast, and a further mark of respect the business-men throughout the city closed their doors on the
day of his burial, and formed one of the largest funeral processions ever witnessed in this city.
The directors of the First National Bank met and passed the following resolutions:
Baldwin, Jeremiah, (page 1116), of New Haven, Connecticut, was born in the year 1827, and removed to Ohio with his parents at the age of six years, and at the age of thirteen to Wisconsin, where he attended school until of age, part being to public and part to select school, taught by Rev. Henry Heaton. He, after working on the farm for several summers, purchased eighty acres, and for a time was employed in the government survey. At twenty-eight he married Julia Emery, of Wisconsin, who, after bearing him two children, Amos E., now practicing medicine in Marshall, Minnesota , and a daughter, since deceased, died in the spring of 1857. Eighteen months after he married his second wife, Lucia A. Pierce, of West Townsend, Vermont, May 5, 1858. From this union sprang Willis P., Horace J., J. Arthur and Minnie A., all living. In the spring of 1863 Jeremiah left Wisconsin by ox-team, after selling out, and settled on his present farm, part of which, one hundred acres, he purchased two years before of one William Thompson. Six years from this he bought out John Allon, twenty acres additional, and completed his present one hundred and sixty acres about four years after by purchase from George Cole. Mr. Baldwin has been an active trustee of the Congregational church of Plainview since its organization, September 19, 1863, and his present wife has for some time officiated as president of the Women's Board of Mission. Albert R. Pierce, brother to Mrs. Baldwin, enlisted in 1861, was wounded near Arkansas; was honorably discharged at Fort Snelling.
Barnes, Amos (page 1105), deceased, became a resident of Zumbro in 1862, and was one of its most successful farmers. He was a native of England, born in Kent county July 6, 1832, and died here July 25, 1881. He was very patient under a severe affliction, cancer of the bowels. He was converted in 1867, and joined the Wesleyan Methodist church and died at peace. He was reared to farm labor, and emigrated in 1852 to New York, where he remained six years, and then removed to Walworth county, Wisconsin. Here he was married April 18, 1862, and set out at once to occupy his land in Minnesota, purchased in 1859. The farm embraces one hundred and sixty acres on sections 14 and 23, the residence on the former. Mrs. Barnes was born in New York city. Her maiden name was Mary Munden, and her parents ~ Frederick and Mary A. - were natives of England. She is also a member of the Wesleyan church. Four children are left to stay her widowhood, all at home, christened George A., Marie Antoinette, Charles E. and John A.
Bartholome, Nicholas, (page 1111), farmer, Chester, is a native of Luxemburg, born in Colbach, in March, 1834. All his life has been passed on a farm. When eleven years old he went to France, and stayed there two and one-half years, and became master of the French tongue as well as his native one. In 1854 he came to Utica, New York, and was employed as a farm and railroad laborer. In 1866 he went back to Europe, and came to Minnesota next year. He now has one hundred acres of land on section 5, where he has dwelt for eleven years. He was married, February 10, 1873, to Catharine Jacobs, who was born in Befort, Luxemburg. Mr. Bartholome has always been a democrat. Himself and family are members of Belle Chester Catholic church. The children were born as here noted: Peter U., Christmas, 1873; Dominick, May 27, 1875; John N., December 22, 1876; Annie M., October 24, 1878; Elizabeth, November 19, 1880; Mary J., August 19, 1882.
Bartlett, J. C., (page 1101), register of deeds. Mr. Bartlett's official term began January 1, 1880. He was re-elected in the fall of 1881, and will complete his second term December 31 of this year, 1883. Mr. Bartlett is a native of New York, came to Wisconsin with his father's family in 1843, settling in Walworth county. His first purchase of land was made in this county in 1858, but he was a permanent resident of the county until 1861, at which date he came to Wabasha, and the following year removed to his farm, which was his residence until he engaged in grain trade in Lake City in 1869, when he removed to that city, which was his home until he assumed charge of the register's office in 1880, since which date he has resided in this city. Was elected county commissioner for the Mazeppa district, and served three years prior to removing to Lake City, and was afterward elected to the same office from Lake City district for two terms. Mr. Bartlett married Miss A. T. Bliss, of Walworth county, Wisconsin. They have four children, all attending public schools of this city.
Bartron, George R., (page 1208), dealer in agricultural tools, Lake City, has been a resident of Minnesota since 1855. David and Phoebe J. Bartron, his parents, were born in Pennsylvania, of French and German descent, and the subject of this biography was given to them July 15, 1844, in Wayne county, that state. The family settled in Hay Creek township, Goodhue county, at the date first above mentioned, and Mr. Bartron now owns the original homestead. The father and mother afterward removed to Welch township, in the same county, where the former died in 1883, aged seventy-nine, and the latter still resides, aged seventy-four. Our subject remained on the farm until the fall of 1876, and then came to Lake City and opened an agricultural warehouse. Two years later W. R. Murray became associated with him, and the firm has continued the business with marked success. While very liberal in religious theories, Mr. Bartron is a supporter of the Episcopal church, where his wife and children attend. His wedding occurred November 8, 1866, the bride being Miss Maria D., daughter of W. J. Jacobs, a sketch of whom will be found elsewhere in this book. Four children have come to bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bartron, and have been severally christened George W., John D., Sarah J. and Harry J.
Basey, Augustus, (page 1121), restauranteur, Lake City, was born in the Province of Hamburg, now part of Prussia, January 10, 1824. His father, Frederick, was a merchant and overseer of a farm, and the youthful Augustus passed his early life in a rural region. When seventeen years old he began to learn the baker's trade. In the spring of 1854 he set out for the land of promise beyond the Atlantic, and landed at New York April 5. Proceeding to Canada, he found employment in a brass foundry, and set about acquainting himself with the strange language spoken all around him. Before the close of the year he found his way to Baltimore and secured employment at his trade. In 1855, in partnership with a brother, he established a bakery at Watertown, Wisconsin. In July of the following year he sold out to his brother and went to Sparta, in the same state, where he operated a bakery for three years, and afterward a farm for like period. In 1864 he became a resident of Lake City and began his present business. Five years later he built the handsome two-story brick-front which he now occupies. All sorts of fruits and confectionery are kept on sale, and a fine business is done in feeding the hungry. April 19, 1856, Mr. Basey was united in wedlock with Miss Laney Orman, born in New York, of German parents. Three daughters have blessed this union, all at home, and christened Mary, Anna and Emma. The Lutheran church represents the religious faith of the family. In political matters Mr. Basey adheres to the democratic party. He is a member of the American Legion of Honor and the Equitable Aged Union, and insurance organization.
Baumgarten, Hon. Henry, (page 1153), is descended from German parents, and was born in Germany November 16, 1848. His education was obtained in the common schools of his native country and the balance of his youth was spent in the usual duties of farming. When about twenty years of age he came to this country and settled at first at Reedsburg, Wisconsin, in the summer of 1868. At this place he was engaged in farming. In 1874 he removed to Wabasha and worked one year for Lucas Kuehn, and started in the hotel business in 1878, having carried on the same until the present with good success. In 1883 he was elected representative from this district to the general assembly of the State of Minnesota by the democracy of Wabasha county, and was a member of the engrossing committee. In 1874 he was married to Emma Scholtz. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and Turn Verein.
Baustert, Matthias, (page 1032), tailor, Mazeppa, was born near the city of Luxembourg, Germany, December 6, 1837. He attended school till fourteen, and was then apprenticed to his present calling. He came to this country in 1857, arriving on September 15 at Chicago, where he was employed ten years. He spent six years at Port Washington, Wisconsin, and four years at Read's Landing, this county. He arrived in Mazeppa March 4, 1878. The next spring he bought a house and three lots on First street, nearly opposite the Catholic church, where he now resides. He has a nice home, and is doing a fair business. He is a member of St. Peter's Catholic church-as are all his family-and an independent democrat. He was married in 1860, the bride being Miss Maggie Leider, who was born in the same country as himself. Their children were given them as here noted: Michael, July 12, 1863; Jacob, January 7, 1865; William, December 16, 1867; Maggie, February 24, 1869; Henry, April 7, 1872; Nicholas, Christmas, 1874; Minnie, December 27, 1881. Besides these three have died, two with diphtheria.
Notes from a fellow genealogist: Thanks for sharing the 'History of Wabasha County" you posted; really enjoyed reading it. I am a descendent of a Mathias Baustert who was born October 22, 1841 in Sandweiler, Luxembourg, died October 24, 1921 in Vandergrift, Pennsylvania, and have been pursuing family roots for some time. Our Mathias married Elixabetha Engle January 5, 1862 in Sandweiler, Luxembourg and she was born June 23, 1840 in Sandweiler, Luxembourg. Mathias' father was a Georges Baustert born April 2, 1807 in Beaufort, Luxembourg and died November 19, 1854 in Sandweiler, Luxembourg. He married Susanne (Josepha) Ruckert February 24, 1835 in Sandweiler, Luxembourg and she was born January 23, 1803 in Birelerhof, Sandweiler, Luxembourg and died April 7, 1853 in Sandweiler, Luxembourg. Georges Baustert's father was Peter Baustert born 1781 in Beaufort, Luxembourg and died January 27, 1830 in Beaufort, Luxembourg. He married Elisabeth Lommers and she was born 1780 in Beaufort, Luxembourg and died May 15, 1825 in Beaufort, Luxembourg. Susan
Notes from a fellow genealogist: I found, in the Biographies & Historical Sketches of Wabasha County, Minnesota, my first possible lead to my ancestors. My grandfather, William Baustert, died in Chicago July 18, 1905, at the age of 37 which correlates to one son of Matthias Baustert who emigrated from Luxembourg and worked as a tailor in Mazeppa, MN. Matthias had a son, William born December 17, 1867. I'd be very happy to communicate with anyone who has more information. Jim
Baxter, Hon. William S. (page 1103), came to this planet by the way of Sidney Plains, New York, on February 24, 1836. He was the second child of the numerous offspring of Charles A. and Maria (Bush) Baxter. Both branches of the family were natives of New York State. Ere William had reached adult years, death removed his parents, and he was taken into the family of his uncle, Jabin Bush, a wealthy farmer and merchant of Tioga, Pennsylvania. In 1856 he came to Minnesota and spent a year in Dodge county. Soon after engaged in the livery business in Rochester, Olmsted county. When the war broke out in 1861 he promptly responded to Uncle Sam's call for volunteers and was enrolled as a private in the 2d Minnesota Infantry. In April, 1862, disability compelled him to resign his office as second lieutenant and return to more peaceful pursuits. Having disposed of his Rochester livery stable in the meantime, he took the proceeds and purchased a farm in the township of Highland. A few years since he came to Plainview to reside. He has recently filled acceptably the office of deputy sheriff for the southern towns of the county, and in 1875 sat as a representative in the state legislature hall at St. Paul. He is a republican and a Royal Arch Mason. He married Helen Austin, a native of Ohio, March 31, 1864. Mrs. Baxter died in 1879, leaving but one child, Susan M., surviving.
Beaty, J. J. (page 969), was born in the State of Massachusetts, in the year 1856. After receiving a good common school education he learned the carpenter trade. He came to this county in 1856, and resided for one year in Lake City, where he built the first mill. In 1857 he removed to this township, and has since given much of his time to farming. Mr. Beaty enlisted in Co. E., 11th Minn. Inf., in 1864, and served until the close of the war. The people of the county and township have honored him with many positions of trust, all of which he has filled with credit to himself and general satisfaction to the people. He is at present county surveyor, which position he has held for eight years. Mr. Beaty is a member of the State Grange Association, the Masonic lodge of Lake City, and the Good Templars lodge of Oak Centre. Mr. Beaty was married in 1844, to Mary Snondon, to whom were born twelve children, eleven of whom are living.
Beck, Peter, (page 1332), farmer and brewer, was born in 1841 at Luxemburg, Germany, and was the fourth child of John and Catherine Beck. When four years old, Peter came with his parents to the United States, settling in Cook county, Illinois, on a farm, where they remained till 1854. Our subject then removed, with his parents, to Dubuque, Iowa, where he helped his father in a store. In 1869 he came to Lake City, remaining till 1877, when he moved out on a farm near town, where he now resides. Mr. Beck deals in barley quite extensively: in 1883 he shipped 30,000 bushels. He has been married twice. His first wife's name was Margaret Pals, and by her had four children, all of which are dead. In 1876 he married Margaret Pontzlet and she has borne him two children - Henry and Anthony.
Notes from fellow genealogist Cecilia (Poncelet) Merk: Concerning Peter Beck and Margaret Ponzlet/Poncelet: she is part of my family tree and the last name should be spelled Poncelet. In my history I have Peter Beck and Margaret Poncelet's marriage date as July 25, 1877 (I have copy of marriage record) and I believe they had six children rather than the two mentioned in the biography. They are Henry (Harry P.) born September 1878; Louis born in 1880 and died in infancy; Anthony, mentioned in the biography, born in Feb 1883; John born Feb. 1885; Charles born July 1887; and Clara Beck, born Nov. 29, 1891 and died Feb. 1989. I have included Peter and Margaret' obituraries. They give some of the same information that I stated above. I was unaware that he had been married before.
Beckman, John (page 1169 ~ spelled Buckman in the index) was born in the northern part of Sweden, June 24, 1845. Angeline Sophia Johnson, now widow of the deceased, was born in the southern part of the same country, March 27, 1828, and was united to him April 5, 1871. In 1869 Mr. Beckman left his native land and came direct to Lake City. For some time he engaged in various occupations; he became owner of a quarter-section of land in Gillford, which he tilled up to the time of his death. In 1871 he built the "Marion Street House," which continued to be his residence thereafter, and where he died of consumption, September 17, 1881. During his American citizenship, Mr. Beckman was a loyal supporter of the republican party. All the family were baptized and reared in the Lutheran church. There are two daughters, born and christened as below: February 7, 1872, Anna S.; April 1, 1875, Alice E.
Befort, William, (page 1158), farmer, has lived on section 30, Chester, since 1867, at which time he became possessed of one hundred and twenty acres. His was a hard struggle to secure a home. At the time of this purchase his capital consisted mostly of hope for the future. He paid down one hundred dollars of the one thousand dollars which was the price of his land. With a yoke of oxen and a wagon he went on and raised a crop, and by industry and prudence himself and wife have secured a good home. He has purchased eighty acres more of land, and has erected comfortable and handsome buildings. Mr. Befort is a native of Luxemburg, born in the village of Gravenmacher, in August, 1827. At twenty-five he crossed the Atlantic and engaged in farm labor in Sheldon, New York. After spending three years in opening up a farm in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, he returned to New York. In 1865 he came to Minnesota and worked two years for a farmer in Hay Creek, removing hither as above related. He paid as high as twenty-four per cent interest for money to tide him along. With his own hands he cut logs for his first house. He is a member of the Mazeppa Catholic church, with all his family, and has always been a democrat. He was married February 5, 1860, to Anna Develli, a native of Belgium. Eight children have been born to them, as follows: William, January 2, 1862; Mary C., November 16, 1863; Anna M., May 15, 1867; John P., March 30, 1869; Catharina, February 13, 1871; Elizabeth C., May 21, 1873; Francis N., August 12, 1875; Agnes M., January 9, 1878.
Note: Margret Mae (Befort) Heart has posted a wealth of information concerning this family as a response to the William Befort biography which is posted on the Rootsweb message boards.
Note From Fellow Genealogist: William Befort, who married Anna Deville, was my great, great grandfather. The Beforts in the response by Margaret (above) have no connection to mine. Those Beforts were originally from Russia while mine were from Grevenmacher, Luxembourg (traced back to Pierre Befort born 1768 and Anges Horsch born 1778. If I remember correctly, Margaret's family has their Beforts traced back into Russia a lot further than 1768. Carrie
Behrns, John (page 1221 ~ not listed in book's index) Millville's enterprising landlord, and agent for the "Plano" reapers and mowers, was born in Germany, in 1830, the third son of Gabriel Behrns. An eighteen-year-old lad, Mr. Behrns spent four years in Chicago as his first struggle with the world. Four years after he left Chicago he came to Wabasha county, and became one of Oakwood's first settlers. About 1870 he founded Bremen. From this time on he was buying, selling and trading in land until 1878, when he came to Millville and started his present hotel. It is nicely situated near the depot, and was one of the earliest business places in Millville. In 1882 he took the agency for the "Plano" twine binder. He has always been one of the leading men of the township, and held its principal offices, of which mention was made in the general history. He kept one of Millville's early stores. He has been a member of the Odd-Fellows. He married Ludiwika Koping, a native of Germany, in 1856. They have five children.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Belden, Ira W., (page 1138 ~ a second entry follows this) blacksmith, is a grandson of Emanuel Belden, of English descent. Erastus, son of Emanuel Belden, was born in New York, and became a successful medical practitioner. He married Julia A. Lines, a native of the same state. On June 11, 1837, they dwelt at Elyria, Ohio, at which time and place was ushered into existence the subject of this sketch. They soon returned to Steuben county, New York, where Ira Belden was reared, attending the common schools till sixteen years of age. He then began a three years' apprenticeship at his trade, and after it was finished set off for the west. After a short time spent in Iowa, he settled at Frankford, Fillmore county, this state, and brought his parents there. His father died there in 1866, and his mother a year later, at Rochester. He was eight years constable at Frankford, and one term deputy-sheriff. On the outbreak of the Sioux war in 1862, he enlisted in the Minnesota Rangers, and served fourteen months on the frontier, taking part in several encounters. He then joined the 6th Minn. Inf., at Lake Ponchatrain, and was with this regiment till its discharge, in November, 1865. The only severe engagements were those required in reducing the forts about Mobile harbor. Immediately after the close of the war he settled in Wabasha county, and has been in this neighborhood ever since. For one year he tilled a farm in Bear valley. He is now in the employ of A. J. Taft, at Mazeppa. He has always been a democrat, but has not voted for ten years. In regard to theology, is a Universalist. He was married in 1857, to Amanda Raymond, a native of Green county, Wisconsin, and is the father of seven children, all of whom are at home. Their names are: Scott E., Ralph O., Otho, Iris and Ira (twins), Clyde and Lois.
*The sketch below appears on a different page and appears to be the
same person even though some dates are different.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Ira W. Belden (page 1126 ~ not listed in index), a son of Erastus Belden, a physician of Fillmore county, Minnesota, was born in 1837. He received a common school education, after which he learned his trade of blacksmithing. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in the war against the Indians, and served fourteen months as farrier in his regiment. He then enlisted in the war of the rebellion and served one year, when, his health failing, he returned to make his home on the banks of the Zumbro. He is a resident of Zumbro Falls, living on the sourth side of the river, but his shop is situated on the north side. Mr. Belden was married in 1860, to Amanda Raymond. Their family consists of seven children. The eldest son, aged nineteen, holds a good position on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad.
War of 1812
Bell, Samuel H., (page 1237), collector, Lake City, is the able representative of the McCormick Harvester Company. Like many other citizens of Lake City, he is a native of Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, born in Milroy township, April 18, 1841. His father, George Bell, was of English descent, and Rosannah Mitchell, the wife and mother, descended from Scotch people, and was born in Pennsylvania. George Bell served the United States as a soldier in the war of 1812, and afterward settled on a farm in Milroy. Here the early life of Samuel was passed, and after a rudimentary course in the common schools he spent two years in Tuscarora Academy. In November, 1864, he became a resident of Lake City, and spent eight years as clerk in a store. He then entered the service of the Champion Reaping Machine Company, in the sale of machinery, and was so successful that his services were sought by other similar manufacturers. After seven years of toil in the interest of the Champion, he was employed in his present capacity of collector, and is constantly traveling over a large portion of this state and Wisconsin. December 19, 1867, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Bryant, step- daughter of Elijah Porter, whose biography is found in this work. Sereno Bryant, Mrs. Bell's father (now deceased), came of the same stock as the poet W. C. Bryant. One child, a daughter, was given to Mr. and Mrs. Bell May 24, 1869, and christened Maggie May. The family attends the Presbyterian church, and in political matters Mr. Bell affiliates with the democracy.
Benson, George F., (page 1175), banker, Lake City, is a son of John and Lucy A. (Adams) Benson, natives of New Hampshire. He was born in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1834, and educated in the schools of that city, and Philips' Exeter Academy, at Exeter, New Hampshire. When seventeen years of age he went to Buffalo, New York, and found employment in the office of a lumberman, where he remained about eight years. In 1860 he engaged in the lumber trade at South Bend, Indiana, and two years later removed his business to Plymouth, same state. He became a resident of Lake City in 1871, and was one of the organizers of the First National Bank, and was president of that institution from August 19, 1873, to November 17, 1876. In 1877 he became a stockholder in the Lake City Bank, and is now director, and one-fourth owner, of this solid establishment. He is a member of the masonic order, the Episcopal church, and the republican party.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Black, Elam, (page 1135), is a grandson of John B. Black, who served in the colonial army during the revolution. John B., son of the latter, was a native of Bradford, Connecticut, as was his wife, Lydia. This couple settled on a farm in Smithfield, Madison county, New York, where the subject of this sketch was given to them on December 15, 1814. In 1832 he went to Huron county, Ohio, and was there married, November 1, 1838, to Amanda Harrington, a native of New York, In 1856 he removed to Washington county, Wisconsin, and soon after settled on a farm near Warren, Illinois. In 1863 he enlisted in the United States service, in Co. K, 31st Wis. Vols., and was discharged on account of ill health before the close of that year. In the spring of 1865 he again entered the service, in the 23d Ill. regt., and was stationed at Richmond, Virginia. In the fall of 1865 he settled in Mazeppa, and since 1873 has been in the employ of the Mazeppa Mill Co. Mr. Black is a Baptist in religious preferences, and a republican in politics. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. here. George, his eldest son, resides at Warren. All the rest are in Minnesota: W. W., here; James E., Luverne; the others in Mazeppa. Helena (Mrs. Charles J. Arnold), R. W., Alice (Mrs. G. B. Franklin), Eva (Mrs. Charles Pehl).
Notes from a fellow genealogist: Elam was my gggrandfather. I happened to stumble on this information. It was great. I have been looking for information about Elam Black for a long time. I would like any or all information on this family including pictures. I knew James had brothers and sisters, but never knew their names or where they were. I have found out a lot from this message board and the Wabasha county info. I know Elam lived in Mazeppa and is buried there. I was there 3 years ago and found the graves of Elam and Amanda. Would like any information of the siblings of James E. Black. Thank you, Myra
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Black, William Wallace, (page 1135), son of the above (Elam Black), was born November 29, 1841, at Monroeville, Huron county, Ohio. He received a good common-school education, meantime giving assistance to his father's farming operations. At nineteen he took up harnessmaking, which was his occupation for many years. On August 2, 1861, he enlisted in an independent battalion then forming at Galena, and subsequently consolidated with the 3d Mo. Cav. This regiment was employed in scouting in Missouri and Arkansas. In the summer of 1863 Mr. Black was discharged and re-enlisted in the following December, in the 17th Ill. Cav., and was elected first lieutenant of Co. F. This regiment was commanded by the subsequent Gov. Beveredge, of Illinois, and saw hard service in Missouri. During most of the time the captain was absent on detached service, and the company was under command of Mr. Black. The history of the company states that it traveled by rail, steamboat and in the saddle, over fifteen thousand miles. At one time twelve hundred miles were made during fifty-nine days spent in the saddle. This was during the famous pursuit of the rebel, Gen. Price, during which this company led a charge of four miles, in which twenty-two thousand rebels were driven back. The principal engagements were those of Allen Station, Rocalope, Booneville, California, Sedalia, Syracuse, Lexington and Utonia. When the company was mustered out, December 18, 1865, less than one-half of its original men were left. On April 19, 1866, Mr. Black became a resident of Mazeppa, and in the following fall bought an interest in a harness-shop. This he soon sold, and in the fall of 1867 established the first harness-shop in Zumbrota. After two years in business there, he sold out and returned to Mazeppa, where has ever since been his home. He again opened a shop here, and conducted the business some years. In August, 1880, he was appointed a postal clerk on the route between St. Paul and Breckenridge; was soon transferred to the Midland railroad; then ran between St. Paul and LaCrosse, and now between the former city and Chicago. Mr. Black has always been an active republican; has served often on local committees; was several years town clerk and supervisor here; has taken great interest in schools, and been most of the time an officer of the village district. He was four years master of the Masonic lodge here, and is also a member of the chapter at Zumbrota. On December 22, 1864, Mr. Black was united in marriage to Miss Dora Dudley, a native of Galena, Illinois. Her father, John Dudley, came from England. George W., the eldest child of this couple, was killed by the cars here on October 23, 1881. The other children were born as follows: Dora B., May 3, 1868; Alice Eva, January 8, 1871; Roy W., April 10, 1873; William W., September 11, 1875; Edgar D., January 23, 1878; Georgiana M., November 4, 1882.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Black, Ralph W., (page 1136), brother of last above subject (William Wallace Black), was born at the same place (Monroeville, Huron county, Ohio) August 26, 1849. He was therefore in his sixteenth year when he came here with his father. At. the same of his father's enlistment he also engaged in the service as a drummer. As soon as he was fairly located at the seat of war he became anxious to carry a gun. In order to gain this end he kicked in the heads of the drum, for which he was incarcerated in the guardhouse. On his release, however, he was given a gun and carried it till his discharge. Shortly after arriving here he went to Red Wing and learned the trade of harnessmaker, which he has ever since followed,-here in Mazeppa since 1874. He is now manager of N. B. Smith's shop here. In 1875 Mr. Black was married to Miss Mary, daughter of Albert Braman, both of Connecticut. He has one daughter, Georgiana B., born August 28, 1881. Mr. Black agrees with his father and brother in politics. He is a member of the Mazeppa lodge, I.O.O.F.
Boatman, William, (page 963), one of the pioneers of 1855, was born in Brown county, Ohio, on February 2, 1817. His parents were Henry and Rachael (Laenex) Boatman. His early life was spent on a farm in Ripley county, where he received a fair common school education. He worked at the carpenter trade for fifteen years in Brown county, Ohio, and three years in Indiana. In 1855 he came in the early spring to Plainview township, where he located a claim on section 11, and was interested with Gen. Sharp, E. B. Eddy, Mr. Geisinger and Mr. Todd in the planning of the shortlived town of Greenville. In 1861 he disposed of his claim on section 11 and bought out the Geisinger claim on section 10, where he continued to reside for ten years. In 1871 he removed to Wisconsin, and engaged in lumbering, building a sawmill at Humbird. Here misfortune visited his enterprises in the shape of fire, that twice destroyed his property within a period of five years. He finally sold out his Wisconsin interests and returned to Plainview.
Bolton, Thomas J., (page 1304), a prominent business man of Plainview, was born in Logan, Ohio, November 12, 1843. The death of his father occurred when Thomas J. was but nine years old, and the year following his mother removed with her family to Cleveland. In 1855 they came to Wabasha county, and our subject spent two years as a cabin-boy on a river steamboat. About the year 1861 he entered the drug business at Wabasha with Jas. Crowley. In December, 1865, this firm decided to open a branch store in Plainview, and Mr. Bolton assumed the management of the same. This was the first drug store ever established in Plainview. A store was erected for their business. Two years later they sold out to Mr. Felton, and Mr. Bolton returned to Wabasha and resumed his place in the old firm, but soon after sold out and went to Eyota, where he opened up a pioneer drug store on his own hook. The winter of 1873-4 he sold his Eyota store and returned to Plainview. He now owns about two hundred acres of land in Plainview township, and is a partner with Geo. S. La Rue in the drug business. His farm is situated on the site of Greenville, and he uses one of its old store buildings for a sheep-shed. He was for a time agent for Laird & Norton, lumber dealers, of Winona. Mr. Bolton is at present dealing in agricultural implements. He has had some experience as a publisher, having issued a regular advertising sheet for several years while engaged in the drug business, both in Plainview and Eyota. He is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Plainview. In politics he is a republican, and has been chairman of the town board; is also a member of the Masonic brotherhood, and of the Order of Odd-Fellows. Ella, only child of Hon. A. P. Foster, of Plainview, became his wife on September 1, 1869. They have four children: Alonzo G., Miller T., Mary L and John.
Boughton, Benjamin, (page 1047), Chester, is a brother of the above (Orrin E. Boughton), and received the same early training. His birth occurred in West Sparta, same county, February 23, 1845. His mother died when he was only three years old, and he was put out with a farmer to be brought up. He remained till eighteen years old with this taskmaster, who set him to follow the plow as soon as he could reach the handles, and gave him little opportunity for education. At eighteen, having received only his food and scanty clothing for years of faithful service, he set out to care for himself. In the fall of 1865 he came to Minnesota, and stayed one year, attending school in the winter. He returned to New York, where he remained till the fall of 1872. He engaged in farm labor here three years, and then bought his present home on section 34, consisting of eighty-seven acres. August 30, 1879, he was married to Ida Segar, who was born in Salem, Wisconsin. Mr. Boughton had no capital when he arrived in Wabasha county, and his success is a credit to himself and this region. He has always been a republican. He adopted an orphan child soon after its birth. Her name is Lucy Whaley, and she was born February 5, 1879.
War of 1812
Boughton, Orrin E., (page 1046), farmer, Mazeppa, has resided here since 1858, at which time he purchased a claim on section 9. He now owns one hundred and eighty-two acres on sections, 8, 9, 16 and 34, besides a quarter-section in the James River valley, in Dakota. He arrived in Wabasha county with eighty-four dollars, and has secured a competency by his sagacity and industry. He was married in the spring of 1865 to Jane Summers, who died without issue, April 30, 1866. In June, 1870, he married Rhoda A., daughter of A. H. Bright, of this town. They have one child, Cecile Inez, born November 18, 1873. Mr. Boughton is a member of the masonic order. He is a republican in politics; served as town supervisor in 1879-80-81-82. He enlisted October 18, 1861, in Co. I, 3d Minn. regt. At the battle of Stone river he was made a prisoner, and held three months. At the battle of Wood Lake he commanded a company of thirty-two men, of whom twenty-four were killed or wounded. After this he was made a corporal. After participating in the battles at Fort Donelson, Vicksburg, Fort Harmon, Young's Point and Little Rock, he was detailed for detached service as sergeant-major. He was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the regular army, and soon promoted to first. His health failing, he was compelled to resign, which he did March 18, 1865. He was offered a captaincy if he would remain in the army, but could not accept it. His grandfather was a colonel in the war of 1812. His father, Ebeneezer Boughton, was born in New York, and married Roxy Barney, of the same state. This subject is their second son, and was born in Nunda, Livingston county, New York, November 8, 1836. All his life was passed in that state until he came here. He was reared on a farm, and received a common school education. His natural abilities have made him a valuable and prominent citizen.
Boutelle, Charles Herbert, (page 1049), farmer, is a son of the last above subject (Charles M. Boutelle-deceased), and was born in Antrim, New Hampshire, November 1, 1853. He was reared here, and received a common-school education. He was married November 5, 1877, to Clara A., daughter of Willard and Susan Merrill; she was born in Goodhue county, and her parents in New Hampshire and Canada. They have one child, born December 18, 1880, and christened Willard C. Mr. Boutelle is an independent republican. He was a member of the grange while it existed.
War of 1812
Boutelle, Charles M. (page 1049), (deceased) became a resident of Chester in the spring of 1858, taking up forty acres of land on section 23, which was still vacant, and buying the claim to eighty acres adjoining. Here he dwelt till his death, which occurred December 10, 1876. He was born in Hancock, New Hampshire, July 2, 1825. His father, Charles Boutelle, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and afterward married Betsey Knight, mother of this subject. The latter married Sarah L. Buckminster, in July, 1850; she was a daughter of Benjamin M. Buckminster, all of New Hampshire. She is still living on the homestead in Chester, as is also her mother-in-law, Betsey Knight Boutelle. Mr. Boutelle was ten years in charge of Bear Valley postoffice, which he kept in his house. He was a charter member of the grange organized here, and resolutions of respect and mourning passed that body on his death. He was several years treasurer of Chester township. His politics were republican. Two sons were all his offspring. Clarence M. was born in Antrim in 1851. He graduated at the Winona normal school, and was eight years a member of its faculty subsequently. He is now, with his wife (Fanny Kimber), teaching in the Rochester Seminary.
Boutelle, Dr. David K. (page 1332), of Lake City, is a retired dentist formerly of Vermont. He was born in Landgrove, that State, in 1811, and is the eighth generation from James Boutelle who settled with the Massachusetts Bay Colony in America in 1632. At the age of twenty-one the Doctor entered a teachers' seminary and after a preparatory course of two years he devoted six years to teaching. He then entered on the study of dentistry under the private tutorship of D. Esteen, of Providence, Rhode Island, and entered on the practice of his profession a few years later at Newport in the same State, where remained nine years. He them removed to Manchester, New Hampshire, and there continued in practice till 1866 when he removed to Worcester, Massachusetts, whence he came to Lake City in 1869. Here he engaged in the practice of his profession from which he retired in 1879. The doctor was reared and educated strictly in the orthodox faith but has materially changed his views in later years. He is a free thinker and an enthusiastic advocate of his belief and a formidable antagonist of the principles indorsed by him in early life.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Bowen, Theodore, (page 1308), one of the principal farmers of Lake township, settled there in 1861, buying eighty acres of land. The subject of this sketch was born December 17, 1838, in Onondaga county, New York. His parents' names were Isaac and Lucy Bowen. His youth was spent on the farm and at the common schools. After arriving at maturity he was wedded to Augusta Monroe, of Oswego county, New York, and they have two children: Isidore, now Mrs. C. T. Webster, of this township, and Estella. In September, 1864, Mr. Bowen enlisted in the 184th regt., N. Y. Vols., and served till the close of the war. In 1871 he was elected town treasurer, which office he held for nine years consecutively, and has also been treasurer and director of school district No. 6 several terms. While the Baptist church represents his religious views, his wife is a Methodist in belief.
Brandt, Philemon, (page 1185), miller, was born in Green county, Wisconsin, September 18, 1850. He was tenth of twelve children, born to Eli and Mary Nofsinger-Brandt, natives of Somerset county, Pennsylvania. In 1854 the family settled in Dodge county, Minnesota, where they lived on a farm until 1871, when Eli purchased the farm in West Albany where they now live. Upon settlement here Mr. Brandt purchased the sawmill formerly owned by Hiram Fellows, and in 1877 the present gristmill was erected by Philemon, Rufus and Mason Brandt, brothers, who are now doing a flourishing business. Mason Brandt is married and living in Walsh county, Dakota, while the mill is run by Philemon and Rufus, who are young men of energy and promise.
Brant, Henry C., (page 1060), son of Adam and Rebecca Brant, was born February 4, 1824. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother of Virginia. He is a native of Ohio. He was educated at the common schools, and his youth was spent mostly on the farm. In the fall of 1857 he came to Fillmore county, this state, remaining there till 1859; then came to this county, settling in Gillford township, pursuing farming till 1877, when he removed to Ohio, and after five years came to this township (Zumbro), settling on section 25. He has twenty acres of land. During the winter of 1864 he enlisted in the 8th Minn., and accompanied Gen. Sully on his Indian expedition to the Yellowstone river. The next fall he was mustered out at St. Paul. He has been justice of the peace, town clerk, assessor, town treasurer, etc., for several years off and on. In politics he is republican, but not radical. He married Calista Martin, her parents are natives of New Jersey. Their living children are: Edgar F. and Louisa A., Charles being deceased.
Bricher, John, (page 957), one of the numerous well-to-do farmers of Highland, is a native of Luxemburg, Germany, where he was born January 5, 1835. His parents were Peter and Susan (Ley) Brucher (or Bricher), and John was their firstborn of a family of four girls and six boys. He received an education in the common branches. At the age of eighteen he bade farewell to his old home, and leaving his family and old associates behind, came to America. He did farm work near Aurora, Illinois, and in Dubuque county, Iowa, until the fall of 1855, when he came to Wabasha county, and pre-empted eighty acres on Sec. 35, in the township of Glasgow. In 1860, after having made many improvements on his pioneer farm, he sold it and bought eighty acres in section 2 in Highland, on which he now resides. His farm now consists of two hundred and forty-six acres, one hundred and thirty of which is in a fine state of cultivation. Mr. Bricher's residence is a large two-story brick house; it was erected at a cost of about $2,500, when building material was cheap in the summer of 1879. Mr. Bricher's matrimonial life dates from May 18, 1861, when he espoused Mary Schearts, born in Bohemia in 1845. A large family of children have been born to this worthy couple: Lizzie, born June 20, 1862; Frank, May 2, 1864; Joseph, June 5, 1866; Elizabeth, April 13, 1868; John, August 13, 1870; Anna, April 3, 1873; Susan, November 8, 1875; Nicholas, March 3, 1878; Catherine, July 18, 1880; Christian, May 30, 1883. Joseph clerks in Brucher Bros'. store at Hammonds on the Zumbro, of which firm Mr. Bricher is a partner. The family are members of the Highland Catholic church. Mr. Bricher has taught school several terms, and has been township assessor for six years, and at present is a member of the board of supervisors.
Bright, A. H., (page 1122), farmer, is descended from Henry Bright, a Pennsylvania Dutchman. Harmon, son of Henry, married Sarah Kean, both "to the manor born," and settled on a farm in Sadsbury, Crawford county. Here was born to them the subject of this sketch, May 12, 1819. He received a farm training and common-school education. When nineteen he went out to farm labor and saved enough from his wages so that he bought some land at twenty-two, and went on it. In 1840 he married Catharine, daughter of William and Dorothy Poole, all of New York. In 1844 he went to Illinois and built a sawmill on Rock river, fifteen miles below Rockford. He was afterward in a sawmill in Janesville, Wisconsin; farmed some years on Sugar river, west of Janesville. He became a resident of Minnesota in 1862, and resided two years on a farm in Belvidere, Goodhue county. Then he traded that property for one hundred and forty-five acres on section 9, Mazeppa, where his home has been ever since. His domain now includes three hundred and forty acres in this township. He has dealt considerably in lands. He is a thorough republican, but meddles not with politics. On the unanimous vote of the town he once accepted the office of justice, but resigned before his term expired. Theologically he is a Free-thinker. Alanson Porter, his eldest child, died at fourteen years of age. Priscilla J. (Mrs. Harry Dakes), lives at Oakland, California; Hiram Juram Hydecooper, Roberts Station, Wisconsin; the rest reside in Mazeppa, viz: Rhoda Adell (Mrs. Orrin Boughton), Thaddeus Sobieski, William Henry Harmon, Sarah Catharine Elizabeth (Mrs. Jones Segar), Albert Rathborne Frisby, and a son bearing the full name of Marquis de La Fayette.
Brown, Parley, (page 1111), attorney-at-law, Lake City, is a native of Lorraine, Jefferson county, New York, and is the second child of Walter and Abigail (Risley) Brown, who reared a family of fourteen children, eight of whom are now (1884) living. His parents were natives of Argyle, Washington county, New York, and Hartford, Connecticut, respectively. He was born April 11, 1818, and was reared on a farm till the age of twenty-one, at which time he entered a mill with a view of learning the trade. His tastes, however, inclining toward the legal profession, he soon after began reading law. Being deprived of educational advantages during early youth, or rather enjoying only such as the primitive schools in the backwoods afforded, his way to the bar was necessarily slow and tedious. But "as the race is to the swift nor the battle to the strong," so it was with Mr. Brown. He completed his law course, and was admitted to the bar at Syracuse in 1859 by the supreme court of the State of New York. In 1862 he removed to Minnesota, located at Lake City, and at once entered on the practice of his profession. In 1840 he was united in marriage with Miss Maria Myers, who was a native of Schoharie county, New York. She bore a family of six children, two sons and four daughters, and died in 1875. Mr. Brown's second marriage was in 1875, to Miss Charlotte Totman, who, too, was born and reared in Jefferson county, New York. Mr. Brown takes little interest in politics, and has been a life-long democrat.
Brown, Thomas (page 1326 ~ deceased), a native of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, was among the early business men of Lake City. In 1856 he came to Winona and in May, the following year. Built a large hotel on the point in this city, which was in early days the most prosperous house in town, being very convenient for river travel, and at times has furnished accommodations for as many as sixty people. In fact, the Brown Hotel was known as the home of the weary traveler, from St. Paul to St. Louis, and its proprietor, Mr. Brown, was a man celebrated for his kindness of heart and hospitality. No man, either white, black or red, with or without money, ever turned from his door hungry, and if he possessed a human fault it was his generosity. Many a poor man has missed the kind face of Mr. Brown since his death, on November 12, 1880. The family he left consists of his widow, formerly Miss Eliza Emery, of Philadelphia, Penn., and two children: Miss Mary E. Resides with her mother at the hotel in this city and Cassius B. resides in Dakota.
War of 1812
Brooks, Dwight Frederick, (page 1289, listed as D. W.), physician at Minneiska, was ushered into this world June 10, 1849, at Redfield, New York. His parents, Sheldon and Jeanette Brooks, were natives of the same state. Both his father's father and mother's father were participants in the war of 1812. At the age of seven years our subject came to Beaver, Winona county, Minnesota, where he remained till 1862, at which time he took up his abode at Minneiska. Up to this time his education had been received at the common schools; but now he pursued the studies of Latin and Greek, under the tutorship of Mr. W. B. Bunnell, a noted educator at that time. Soon after this he placed himself in the medical department of Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, but graduated in medicine at Long Island College Hospital, in 1876. Since that time he has been not only following his profession, but is largely engaged in commercial pursuits. In 1876 Mr. Brooks was chosen as delegate to attend the American Medical Association at Philadelphia, and has remained a permanent member ever since. He is also a member of the Minnesota State Medical Society and of the Wabasha County Medical Society. In 1875 he was united in marriage to Anna G. Keyes, of Winona, and have two children, Harry K., born in September, 1876, and Dwight S., born in March, 1878. Mrs. Brooks is a member of the Congregational church. Dr. Brooks' parents, who were many years residents of Minneiska, removed to Winona, where the former died in the spring of 1883. He was well known there as one of the noble men of that county's early settlement.
Bryant, Curtis, (page 1334), farmer, of Elgin, son of John and Lavinia Bryant, is one of the original four who first settled on that part of Greenwood Prairie, now constituting the town of Elgin, in the month of April, 1855. Mr. Bryant was born in the town of Middlesex, Washington county, Vermont, September 6, 1833. He worked on his father's farm in Vermont, attending school in the winter; also went to the academy at Barre, Vermont, and taught school one term. In the early spring of 1855, Mr. Bryant struck out, in company with a brother, for what was then the Far West, arriving at Winona, April 5th. Thence they walked the next day to St. Charles, and about the 15th of the same month arrived on the site of Elgin township. They proceeded to put up the first log house, of which mention is made elsewhere in this work. On April 21, 1855, Curtis Bryant filed his claim to the north-east quarter of section twenty-eight, which he still owns and dwells on. Beside this, he owns three quarter- sections at Andover, Dakota. For about four years our subject was engaged in mercantile business at Elgin in partnership with his brother George and Mr. A. K. Johnson, under the firm name of Bryant Bros. & Johnson. The firm also operated a grain warehouse, of which Mr. Bryant still owns a third. August 1, 1861, witnessed the nuptials of Curtis Bryant and Miss Mary C. Colby, of Orange county, Vermont. As the offspring of this union, three children have joined the family circle and been christened respectively Nellie M., Charles L., and Lute E. Our subject is a charter member of Elgin Lodge No. 115, A.F. and A.M., and belonged to the Congregational society while it existed here. In politics he is a Republican and has served as constable, justice of the peace and town supervisor. He has always been an active contributor to active Christianity and charity. In October, 1873, Mr. Bryant was made the victim of a serious railway accident while on the way to Chicago to dispose of some cattle. When near the state line between Wisconsin and Illinois, on the C.& N.W. Railway, a broken rail threw the caboose car in which he was sitting from the track and down a fifteen-foot embankment. The car took fire and was consumed, and Mr. Bryant narrowly escaped with his life. He received a cut on the head and his spine was so injured that he did not leave his bed for a year. In the great tornado of July, 1883, he was a heavy financial sufferer, losing property to the extent of five thousand dollars.
Notes from a fellow genealogist:
We have the Bible of Curtis and Mary Bryant.
Jefferson in Seattle
Bryant, John W., (page 1299), senior member of the firm of J. W. Bryant & Co., grain and coal dealers of the village of Elgin, and proprietors of one of the two elevators located in that village, is not only one of the most enterprising, but is also the youngest man at the head of any business firm in the place, besides being the only one of Elgin's sons conducting business for himself at the place of his birth. Mr. Bryant is a son of George and Polly Bryant, and was born in the first log house ever erected within the limits of what is now the village of Elgin, and the N.W. 1/4 of Sec. 27, on October 15, 1858, his father, who is now judge of probate of Day county, Dakota, being one of the first pioneers of that town. Our subject in his early years received such education as the common schools of his native town afforded, and when only fifteen years of age, without the knowledge of his parents, he applied for and obtained the position of teacher of the school situated in district No. 77, then known as the Johnson district, where he taught for two terms, after which he entered the high school at Winona and pursued his studies there for one year, when he returned to his old school, where he again "wielded the birch" for three successive terms. At the age of nineteen years he accepted the position of general clerk and bookkeeper for the firm of Bryant Bros. & Johnson, general merchandise and grain dealers, of Elgin, which position he filled until June, 1880. During the month of July, 1880, he bought out the partnership interest of A. K. Johnson in the grain business, of Bryant Bros. and afterward became senior member of the firm, which assumed the name of J. W. Bryant and Co. On February 3, 1881, Mr. Bryant was united in marriage to Miss Pamelia R. Richardson, who, like himself, was born in the town of Elgin. Mrs. Bryant is the daughter of H. G. and Julia Richardson, of this town, and with her husband resides in a commodious and substantial frame dwelling, situated on the same quarter-section where the old log house once stood in which her husband was born. Mr. Bryant has never sought for political preferment, being a thorough business man and believing that his path of duty lies in a strict and thorough attention to this, with the exception of the exercise of that duty we all owe as conscientious voters. He is a member of Elgin lodge, No. 115, A.F.A.M., in which lodge he holds the office of S. W.
BUISSON: Joseph Sr., Joseph Jr., Henry, Cyprian (page 936)
Joseph Buisson, Sr., Indian trader and voyager, established a trading post at Wabasha as early as 1832. He married the daughter of Mr. Duncan Graham, Nancy Lucy Graham, in 1832, and permanently located at Wabasha a few years later. Mr. Buisson was born in Montreal in 1797, and at the time of his location here was engaged in carrying goods from St. Louis to different trading posts on the Upper Mississippi. For a number of years after his location here he was engaged in the Indian trade and farming. He was one of the original proprietors and owned what is known as Lot No. 4. They had seven children, six of whom are still living. Their names are Harriet Lariviere, Henry, Mary Louise, Antoine, Joseph, Cyprian and Mary Jane. Henry, Joseph and Cyprian still reside in Wabasha and are engaged in steamboating, all in the capacity of master and pilot. They run the best class of raftboats on the river between Stillwater and St. Louis.
Bullock, Richard, (page 1105), farmer, purchased one hundred acres of land in Zumbro township, section 13, in 1862, and shortly after took up his home thereon. He is a native of England, having been born in Oxfordshire, July 18, 1820. His parents were William and Sarah Bullock, who settled in Erie county, New York when our subject was sixteen years old. All his schooling had been received previous to this time, in the old country. He was reared on a farm, and after reaching his majority owned a farm in New York. He subsequently removed to Pennsylvania, and came from there here. Besides the home farm, he now has a quarter-section in Bigstone county, this state. His capital was small on arrival here, and his own industry and enterprise have made him independent. He has always been a republican, but now holds aloof from politics. Although not a member of any church, he is a believer in the Christian religion and an active supporter of the Wesleyan Methodist church here. He was married June 4, 1848, to Ruth Amelia Stocking, who was born in Erie county, New York, September 17, 1830. Their eldest child, Martha Cordelia, was born January 10, 1851 (now Mrs. Dwight Lyman), and resides in Redwood county; Sophia Jane, June 21, 1853, married Adelbert E. Randall, now sheriff of Bigstone county.
Burchard, Rodman, (page 991), the subject of this sketch, was born in Paris, Oneida county, New York, December 26, 1808. He removed from there to Wethersfield, Wyoming county, in the same state, in the year 1845, where he resided but a short time, going from there to Michigan with the intention of making it his home. He was soon taken sick with the fever, then so prevalent in some parts of that state, and concluding that it was too sickly for him there, went back to Gainsville, New York, where he was married to Esther A. Davis, December 23, 1847. In the year 1854 he purchased a farm in Virginia, intending to move his family there the following season. But having had a presentiment (as he thought) that all might not be well in the future in a slave state like Virginia, he sold the farm and decided to go west. He landed at Wabasha, in the fall of 1855. Having heard of Greenwood prairie, he hired a team to take his family and goods to the village of Greenville, which was then located two miles and a half east of this place, where he formed a partnership with the Richards Bros. in the mercantile business, opening a general store in a log house, living upstairs and keeping hotel at the same time. Trade increased so rapidly that they were soon obliged to erect a larger building for the store, leaving the log house to be used for the dwelling. Here he lived for many years. His wife died June 10, 1866, leaving the husband one son and three daughters. After the death of his wife he moved to Plainview where he kept his family together and was married to Miss Maggie Crossen, April 13, 1871, who, with the four children mentioned, and her own little son, now about eight years old, survive him. Mr. Burchard died February 6, 1883, being seventy-four years, one month and twelve days old. He was a man of strong will, good judgment and great perseverance, and withal a kind neighbor. Being well-known in this community he leaves many friends to mourn his death. (the above is an extract from the minutes of the Old Settlers' Association.)
Burkhardt: Godfred & Gotleib, (page 1117 ~ not in index), are the proprietors of Pepin
Brewery (the description of which can be found on Chapter 35 of the 1884 book). They are natives of Germany, emigrated to America in 1859, and to
this county in
Godfred Burkhardt married Sophia Bruner in 1866. They have four children living, three in school at Read's Landing: Louis, born October 14, 1868; Emma, born February 14, 1870; Maria, born February 9, 1877; Paulina, born February 5, 1879.
Gotleib Burkhardt married Amelia Schlueter, February 2, 1881. They have one child, Albert, born November 25, 1881.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Burdett, Frank A., (page 1100), Lake City, grain dealer, is among the early residents of Wabasha county. His grandfather, Ebeneezer Burditt (born in Lancaster, Massachusetts, 1761), was a revolutionary soldier and served on a colonial privateer. Abel, son of the latter, was born in Gilsum, New Hampshire, January 20, 1790. Bethsheba Gibson, daughter of another revolutionary hero, born in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, in 1785, married Abel Burdett, died April 6, 1866, in Lake City. Her husband died in Zumbro, this county, April 18, 1858. This couple dwelt many years in Grafton, Vermont, where was ushered into the world, July 18, 1821, the person whose name heads this paragraph. During the early years of the latter, he spent some time at the common school, and subsequently managed the farm while his father dealt in stock. The farm was exchanged for hotel property, and Frank was his father's assistant in conducting the house for fourteen years. April 24, 1846, he was united in wedlock with Miss Jeannette Mack, whose parentage is elsewhere given with that of her brother, J. R. Mack. Windham, Vermont, is Mrs. Burdett's native place. Mr. Burdett spent over two years in California, at mining and other occupations, with moderate success. Returning to Vermont in 1855, he took up a permanent residence in the west next year, arriving in Columbia county, Wisconsin, in July. In the fall of 1857 he came to Zumbro and engaged in farming there four years. Removed to Lake City in the fall of 1861, and began to deal in produce. At. one time he had four warehouses in operation, one being at Stockholm, across the lake, and has been signally successful. He served the town of Zumbro two years as assessor, and Lake City one year; was also justice of the peace in Zumbro. He adheres to democratic principles of government, and is orthodox in religious faith. Mr. and Mrs. Burdett have one son, now thirty seven years of age, named Frank D. When eighteen he entered the Union army, and served about a year. When he went from home he weighed one hundred and sixty pounds, and on his discharge weighed, with soldier overcoat, just half as much. His home is now in LaCrosse. The two daughters, Sarah A., resides at home, and Flora C. (wife of J. M. Ford), at Wahpeton, Dakota. Abel Burdett was the father of three children. Elvira (Lawrence) died in Danville, Illinois, and Sarah (Ranney) at Linden, Wisconsin.
Burdick, F. H., (page 1213), agent for Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company at this point since 1876. From 1876 to 1879, the first three years of Mr. Burdick's agency at this place, he was without an assistant, performing the work of ticket-seller, freight agent and depot superintendent alone. Since then, particularly since the completion of the Wabasha and Chippewa Valley divisions of the road, the increase of business at this point has become so marked and rapid that a force of eight persons is required to perform the work of this office and the branch station at East Wabasha. Mr. Burdick is a native of Rock county, Wisconsin. He received a common and high school education in his native state, and commenced service as a railway agent and telegraph operator at Castalia, Iowa, in 1870, and was for five years at Cresco, Iowa, in charge of the company's business at that point, before coming to this city in 1876. Mr. Burdick married Miss L. J. Niles, of Cresco, Iowa, November 28, 1875. They have three children, two born in this city: Adin, born September 25, 1876; Niles, born September 25, 1878; Francis, born 1882.
Burkhardt, Henry, (page 1087), sheriff, office in county jail. Sheriff Burkhardt was elected in the fall of 1881 and his term of office will expire with the close of the present year, December 31, 1883. His deputies are: Rudolph Eichenberger, Wabasha; Robert Romick, Lake City; William Baxter, Plainview; John Gregory, Mazeppa. Mr. Burkhardt is a native of Switzerland, came to America in 1854 and was in Madison county, Illinois, until his removal to Wabasha in 1860. The following year, 1861, in the spring, Mr. Burkhardt removed to Read's Landing and engaged in business, establishing his meat-market and dealing in live-stock. This business he still conducts, its management at present being in the hands of his son, Otto. Mr. Burkhardt has been prominently identified with the business of Read's Landing and also with its local government, for the past twenty-two years, as well as interesting himself in county affairs, serving as commissioner of the county for the fifth district from 1877 to 1881. In 1856 Mr. Burkhardt married Elizabeth Burgher. They have seven children living: Rudolph, born December 27, 1857, now married and living in Polk county; Otto, in charge of the business at Read's Landing, born March 28, 1864. Fannie, born March 4, 1866; Annie, born January 24, 1868; Bertie, born April 5, 1870; Henry, Jr., born June 12, 1872; Edwin, born February 13, 1878.
Burman, Nels Peter, (page 1241), farmer, Watopa, is among the most enlightened and progressive citzens of the township. He has been town clerk four years, and also served as constable. He was born in the northern part of Sweden, January 5, 1849, and was reared on a farm there, receiving the common-school education of that country. He came to the United States when nineteen years old, and was employed for some years in mining and railroad construction in Wisconsin and Michigan. he became a resident of Watopa in 1873, and next year purchased the farm on which he resides, on section 29. He has two hundred and eighty acres of land, and is chiefly engaged in grain raising. He is a firm adherent of republican political principles, and a Lutheran. In 1875 he married Maria Charlotte Johnson, who was born in southern Sweden, six years later than her husband. Two sons, each christened Charles, have been taken from them by death. Those living are: Johanna Elizabeth and Charles Oscar.
Burnham, George H., (page 1017), a native of New Hampshire, was born May 20, 1837, in the town of Derry, Rockingham county. His parents were George and Eliza (McNeil) Burnham, both natives of the Old Granite State. In 1869 Robert H. Burnham, of Long Meadow, Massachusetts, compiled and published the genealogy of the Burnham family in the United States. The work contains five hundred and forty-six pages, and shows the family to be a very large one. Maj. John Burnham, of the revolutionary army, was the grandfather of the subject of this sketch. George H. Burnham's early life was passed on a farm. In 1856 his brothers, John and William, came to Minnesota, and the following year George joined them in their pioneer life. He pre-empted that year one hundred and sixty acres on section 17, where he built the customary log cabin, and continued to reside for seven years. In 1864 he sold his pre- emption, and two years later purchased from Mr. Woodward a quarter-section on section 33, where he now has his home. March 3, 1862, he was married to Mary E. Gaylord, a native of Gainesville, New York. Her parents, Elijah and Huldah (Alvord) Gaylord, were also natives of New York State. The following are the names of their children now living, viz: George M., born August 17, 1864; Frank A. (surviving twin), May 24, 1868; William H., July 19, 1871; Mary E., July 4, 1874; Maggie, April 4, 1876; John S., November 25, 1878; Charles A. G., November 1, 1880; Elsie I., December 8, 1882. Mr. Burnham has a fair education; attended the Derry Academy, New Hampshire, five terms; is a member of the Plainview Congregational church, and a republican sprung from the old whig stock.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Burnham, Capt. John W., (page 1015), was born in the year 1829, in the State of New Hampshire, and grew up with the usual experiences of a farmer's son in moderate circumstances of that time. His grandfather, of same name, was an officer during the entire revolutionary war and a member of the Society of the Cincinnati. Capt. Burnham is by birthright entitled to membership of this society, but has never claimed the right. After some years of adult life spent as a farmer, teacher and lumberman, he came to Minnesota in April, 1856, and located by buying for two hundred dollars a settler's claim to the N.W. 1/4 of Sec. 3, T. 108 N., R. 11 W., land now owned by E. L. Burton and S. H. Gaylord. At the election following in October, 1856, he was elected justice of the peace, and as such held the first court, married the first couple, and approved the bonds of the first postmaster upon Greenwood prairie. For a short time he was engaged in the mercantile business at Greenville, the first town laid out on the prairie; but the uncertain title of land upon the Sioux half-breed reservation, destroyed the town and sent the occupants to their claims. After much trouble, expense and anxiety, Capt. Burnham secured a title to eighty acres of land, which he had improved by paying four dollars and fifty cents per acre for it. In 1862 he made proof by preemption upon one hundred and sixty acres adjoining, which cost ninety dollars, money paid for a soldier's land warrant. In 1858 he was elected a member of the state legislature. This body did not convene, and in 1859 he was re- elected. The following session continued for four months. The finances of the state and the people was at a low ebb. The pay of a member would not procure him board at a first-class hotel in St. Paul. In 1861 Capt. Burnham was joined with I. O. Seeley, of Mazeppa, and Lawrence Tracey, of West Albany, into a board of appraisers of the school lands in the county. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the army, after the call of three hundred thousand men by President Lincoln, and was made a sergeant in Co. C, 10th Inf., commanded by Capt. C. W. Hackett. He with the company were mounted and in service on the Minnesota frontier till February, 1863, when they went into winter quarters at LeSueur till May following. From May to October, 1863, the subject of this sketch was with his company in Sibley's expedition in Dakota, which marched thirteen hundred miles, fought four battles with Indians, and suffered much from hunger, thirst and fatigue. This expedition went north to Devil's lake, and west to the site of Bismarck, present capital of Dakota. In October, 1863, the regiment was sent to St. Louis, Missouri, on duty in the city. In May, 1864, it was sent into Kentucky and thence to Tennessee and Mississippi. Here, for the first time, Mr. Burnham was unable to do soldier's duty from ill health. July 25, 1864, he was commissioned lieutenant in Co. D, 121st U. S. Colored Inf. and was sent on recruiting service into Kentucky and there kept till June, 1865, when this regiment was consolidated with others into 13th regt. U. S. Heavy Art. (colored), Lieut, Burnham being assigned to Co. I. His health being very poor he obtained leave of absence and visited home. While away he was assigned temporarily for duty in 125th U. S. Colored Inf., then on duty at the military prison at Louisville, Kentucky. He was immediately recommended for commission in that regiment, and on the day his appointment came the 13th U. S. Heavy Art. (colored) was being mustered out of service at Louisville-Lieut. Burnham was put in command of a company (H), and in six weeks was promoted. Not long after, Co. H was sent to Jackson, Michigan, for a time, but about New Year's, 1866, the whole regiment was rendezvoused at Cairo, Illinois, where it remained till spring, when it was ordered to Fort Union, New Mexico, by steamboat to Leavenworth, Kansas, and from thence marched. From Fort Union, Cos. H and G marched five hundred miles more to Fort Bliss, Texas, where they remained a year, marching back in September and October, 1867, over nearly the same route, to Ellsworth, Kansas, the nearest railroad station. From here they traveled by rail to Jefferson Barracks, where they intended to await the rest of the regiment; but the cholera broke among them, and several died. The rest were mustered out at once, and the remainder of the regiment December 31, 1867, the last volunteer regiment enlisted for the war. Capt. Burnham returned to Plainview, where he still owned his farm, bought more land and settled in the town of Highland, where he lived eight years. He was three years chairman of the town board of supervisors, and once the unsuccessful republican candidate for state senator. In 1877 he sold his farm in Highland and moved to Plainview, where he lived till October, 1878, when he moved to Wheatland, Cass county, Dakota, where he has since resided. Capt. Burnham was married in 1866, to Ada J. Lawrence, daughter of Benjamin Lawrence, an older settler of Greenwood prairie than himself, and has four children,-one born at Fort Bliss, Texas, two in Highland and one in Plainview. After his marriage his wife accompanied him, and had a share in military life upon the frontier. Capt. Burnham draws no pension, although probably entitled to one, for the exposure and hardships of five years and three months' military service are enough to break down the strongest man.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Bush, Jacob, (page 1295), mason, Wabasha, was born at Moscow, in the District of Montreal, Canada, February 1, 1830. His great-grandfather came from France, and settled in Canada. His father, Zabattias, was born and reared in the same locality as himself. His name has been changed since he came here, and as he had no education, he is unable to give the original French spelling. His early life was spent on a Canadian farm. For some years he was employed in ironworks on Lake Champlain, and he found various employments in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. In 1852 he came west, and spent a year on a farm at Columbus, Wisconsin. He came to Wabasha in 1853, and found employment with the fur traders. He claimed land, and afterward sold out. In 1861 he enlisted in the U. S. Vols., Co. G, 5th Minn. regt. Served in the western army; in the siege of Corinth, Buell's expedition, battles of Tuscumbia, Chattanooga, second Corinth, Iuka, siege of Vicksburg, battle Guntown, Red River expedition, battle Nashville, siege and capture of forts about Mobile. At. Nashville he received a flesh-wound from a piece of an exploding shell. In all he was an actor in thirty-two battles, besides several skirmishes, and was discharged from service in September, 1865. He returned to Wabasha, and has chiefly been employed in mason-work since. He was a member of the G.A.R., while a lodge existed here. He was reared in the Catholic church, and adheres to the democratic party. In 1855 he married Susan Montraill, who was born in Mendota, this state, and died in November, 1880. Of her twelve children ten survive her. Josephine, the eldest, now wife of David Pugh, resides in Greenfield; Isabel (Mrs. William Edwards), Oliver, Lucy (Frank Hoffer) and Emily reside in Wabasha. The rest are at home, christened as follows: Jacob, James, Gracie, Susan, Addie and Frank.
Butts, James J., (page 1024), the sixth child of Jonathan and Eleanor (Brannon) Butts, was born in Brookfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, July 28, 1828. Mr. Butts, Sr., was a farmer, and James was brought up on a farm, receiving such education as was obtainable in a country school. At the age of twenty he started out in life for himself, and for two years worked as a farm hand. He next became a copartner with William Rounds in the management of a steam sawmill, at Fowler, Ohio, and soon after engaged in the dairy business until the spring of 1857, when he came to Minnesota and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 18, in Plainview township, Wabasha county, and soon after pre-empted one hundred and sixty more on section 6, in the same township. His landed possessions now aggregate nearly four hundred acres, situate chiefly on sections 8 and 18, in Plainview, and include a portion of the western part of Plainview village, the Union school-buildings standing on land donated to the district by Mr. Butts. Mr. Butts is both a good republican and a good Odd-Fellow; is a man of great endurance and physical strength, which he displayed to good advantage during the winter of 1859 by cutting nine cords of cordwood in eight and one-half hours. He was married to Dorcas Alderman, a native of Trumbull county, Ohio, and daughter of Lyman and Lydia (Munson) Alderman, June 1, 1851. They have two children now living, namely: Lucy (Mrs. Myron Smith, of Plainview, and Addie (Mrs. John Doherty), of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.