"HISTORY OF WABASHA COUNTY"
Compiled by Dr. L. H. Bunnell
Published Chicago by H. H. Hill, Publishers, 1884
Republished Currently by Higginson Books
Besides the following two accounts of area businesses, this chapter is composed of the biographies listed below:
Ingram, Kennedy & Gill (page 975), lumbermen and manufacturers of sash, doors, blinds and carpenters' material. Business of selling lumber was established here in 1861, and the planing-mill (a small affair at that time) was built in the summer of 1865. In the spring of 1867 additional machinery was put in and the manufacture of sash, doors and blinds begun. The manufactory has been practically rebuilt since its establishment, through additions and improvements. As it now stands, on the corner of Second and Arch streets, it is a substantial two-story frame, 76 x 48 feet, with a brick engine and boiler house 32 x 36 feet. It is well supplied with all necessary machinery for a manufactory of the kind. Its business is principally filling orders, little stock work being done, the demand for work leaving no opportunity for stocking up. The planing-mill turns out about fifty thousand feet of dressed lumber every week, and the manufactory works up the same amount every twelve months. The engine has a capacity of about fifty-horsepower. The lumber yards occupy ten lots on blocks 13 and 18 of the original town site of Wabasha; there is closed shed-room for one hundred and fifty thousand feet of dressed lumber, and the annual sales are from four million five hundred thousand feet, stocked from the mills of the Empire Lumber Company, of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, who are largely the principals of the business. The office of the company is on the corner of Second and Walnut streets. Lumber is floated down the Chippewa and Mississippi rivers to the yards of the company at this point, and shipments are made by rail over the lines of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad and branches, upon tracks from the lines of that road running into the yards, and affording excellent opportunities for shipment. The force of the establishment here is one superintendent, one bookkeeper, six hands in the manufactory, fifteen in the yards, and three teams.
Merchants Hotel (page 977), West Wabasha, near central depot, L. M. Gregg, proprietor. This hotel stands on the corner of Campbell and Seventh streets, in what is known as Wellman's survey of the city of Wabasha. The hotel property embraces four lots (7,8,9,10) in block 125, facing two hundred feet on Seventh street, and having a depth of one hundred and fifty feet along Campbell. The hotel building fronts ninety feet on Seventh, sixty-eight feet on Campbell, is two stories in height, contains thirty-five rooms, twenty of them guests' rooms, and is thoroughly fitted throughout for the comfort and convenience of the traveling public. The hotel fronts southward toward the main line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, from the depot of which it is distant about one and a half blocks. A double piazza runs along both fronts, and from the south one are entrances into the office, hall, ladies; reception-room and bar. The ladies' reception-room and parlors on the east form a pleasant suite of three rooms, ten feet by eighteen feet, twenty-four feet by eighteen feet, and seventeen feet by seventeen feet, respectively, equivalent to a single room twenty-five by thirty-six feet, and infinitely more pleasant. The dining-room in the rear of the office and bar is eighteen by thirty-five feet, and the adjoining kitchens are respectively eighteen by twenty feet and thirteen by twenty-four feet. A hall at the rear of the reception-room and offices communicates with the main hall and the dining-room, so that guests have access to all parts of the house, independent of the more public rooms. Double hallways, above and below, afford free circulation of air, all rooms being open to the sunlight, leaving nothing in this direction to be desired. No sample rooms for commercial travelers are found in the hotel, which stands too remote from the business center of town to make them necessary, but two commodious rooms for this purpose are provided in a central location in the city, to which the proprietor runs a free carriage, for the accommodation of his guests. The present staff of servants is nine, three men and six women. The hotel is new, having been built during the late summer, the proprietor taking possession August 15, 1883.
F. J. Collier; O. F. Collier; E. M. York; William C. Wright; P. G. Dickmann; Isaac J. Cutter; William Lord Cleaveland; George W. Carpenter; Matthew Kinsells, Jr.; Jas. H. Sandford; J. J. Beaty; John Link; Geo. W. Price; Alvin Kinney; H. C. Wilcox; M. Kennedy; J. H. Evans; R. E. Stearns; Ernest Stearns; John N. Murdoch; Mrs. Elizabeth Gill; S. L. Campbell; L. M. Gregg; Wm. S. Jackson; W. J. Arnold; Herman Amerland; W. S. Piers; Charles Hornbogen; Ludwig Troutman, Jr.; Ludwig Troutman; N. S. Tefft, M.D.; S. Oakey Seymour; A. B. W. Norton; Thomas A. Thompson; Ostrom Stephen Lont, M.D.; Rev. Robert Clifford; Robert Clifford; Carl Christian Stauff, M.D.; Agustus W. Stowman; Asa B. Doughty; Rodman Burchard; Hon. Alonzo P. Foster; Russell W. Carpenter; Benjamin Pickett; George D. Sandford; Gen. Seth L. McCarty; Rhoderick W. Drinkwalter; Robert Hall; Ira A. Fifield; James M. Harrison; Garret A. Cook; John Henry Wehrenberg; Henry Frye; Ewin Alexander; George Patton; George Randolph Patton; Dr. E. A. Patton; Harrison Gillett; John Fletcher; Lorin J. Fletcher; William H. Amsbry; David Cronin; William E. Perkins; Lymon E. Thorp; George W. Sylvester; Patrick McDonough; John Dale; Daniel Dale, Jacob M. Dale; Levi A. Dale, John A. Martin; Jesse Youngs; John J. Sibley; Turner J. Preble; Samuel H. Doane; Robert M. Doane; Lawrence Tracy; Capt. John W. Burnham; George H. Burnham; Adam V. Sigler; Albert K. Gaylord; Joseph Hammons; Edward P. C. Fowler; and Roland Frazier Maxwell.