Dady, Jerry, (page 1290), farmer, Greenfield, is among the early residents of Wabasha county, having come to Wabasha in 1855. In 1856 he settled on his present farm. His residence is on section 35, and he has a large farm, part of which lies in Watopa township. Mr. Dady was born in Castle Grogery, County Kerry, Ireland and was reared on the farm that had been for many generations in possession of his ancestors. His education was supplied by rate schools, and remained there until thirty years old. He then married Nora O'Donnell, a native of the same parish, and together they set out to make a home in America. For several years he was employed in railroad construction in Vermont, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. From the latter state he came to Minnesota as above related. He has been industrious, and has thereby secured a competence. In public affairs he has always sustained the Democratic party, as have his sons, and all the members of his family are in good standing in the Roman Catholic church at Wabasha. There are five children, resident as follows: Eugene, Warren, Minnesota; Mary (Mrs. Maurice Durgan), Black River Falls, Wisconsin; Nora (John Drysdale), Kellogg; Michael, Wabasha; John, at home. The latter is the prop of his parents in their old age, and is a rising young man. He is now serving the third successive term as town clerk.
Dady, Michael U., (page 1291 ~ listed M. D. in the index), Wabasha, son of the above (Jerry Dady) was born in Greenfield, October 7, 1855. He was reared there, and attended the common school. When eighteen years old he took up blacksmith work in Kellogg, and has followed it ever since. Became a resident of Wabasha in 1879; worked some time in a machine shop, and is now employed by the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company as blacksmith and repairer. In 1879 he married Fanny Hudson, who was born in Pierce county, Wisconsin, of Scotch and English parents. They have a son, born June 18, 1880, and christened Charles.
Dale, Daniel, (page 1010), eldest son of John Dale, was born in Center township, Perry county, Pennsylvania, January 28, 1830. His early life was passed on the farm, and at nineteen he began work at the carpenter's trade. He subsequently took up cabinetwork, which he worked at more or less till 1859. In 1856 he took up his residence in Zumbro, making claim to one-fourth of section 19. He still retains one half of this claim, on which he lives. His estate includes one hundred and fifty acres, of which twenty are timbered. He has a fine farm and has handsomely improved it. He was married October 18, 1859, to Elizabeth Peterman, a native of Pennsylvania; her parents were Jacob and Annie (Myers) Peterman, of French and German extraction. Mr. and Mrs. Dale are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. The former has always cast his vote with the republican party. Their first child was christened Ida, and died when four months old. Jenny M., born March 23, 1863, married D. W. Coleman, and dwells at Emma, Dakota. Helen E., October 1, 1866, resides with parents.
Dale, John, (page 1010 ~ deceased), was born in Perry county, Pennsylvania, October 8, 1806. He was a son of Christopher Dale, also a native of Pennsylvania, of English descent. His mother died when he was an infant. He was reared on a farm and learned the weaver's trade. His wife, Christina, nee Myers, was born in the same neighborhood as himself on December 28, 1804, and they were united in marriage August 14, 1827. Mr. Dale owned a farm in his native state, which he tilled. He came thence to Wabasha county in 1865 and bought a farm on section 24, Zumbro township. He died December 23, 1882, at the residence of his eldest son, Daniel. His wife died July 7, 1877. Six sons and one daughter survive them: Daniel, Jacob M., Samuel, John W., Mary Ellen (Mrs. David Myers), Levi A., and Simon W. The third son resides at Fostoria, Ohio; the fourth at Zumbro Falls, the daughter at Wellington, Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Dale were Dunkards in faith.
Dale, Levi A., (page 1011), fifth son of John Dale, was born in Center township, Perry county, Pennsylvania., August 3, 1845. Reared on farm and received a common school education. Came to Zumbro November 27, 1863. Next year he bought sixty- five acres on section 24, where his home has been ever since. By industry and perseverance he has made himself independent. Has purchased twenty acres of timber in Mazeppa. He was married November 28, 1869, to Louisa A., daughter of H. C. Brant, whose biography is elsewhere given in this book. They have three children, born as follows: Earl C., March 14, 1876; Roy M., October 26, 1878; Hattie May, May 5, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. Dale are members of the Wesleyan Methodist church. The former is a republican, because he considers that correct principles are espoused by the party known by that name. He came to Minnesota without capital, and with the aid of his faithful helpmeet has secured a happy home.
Dale, Jacob M., (page 1010), second son of John Dale, was born in Center township, Perry county, Pennsylvania, May 17, 1832. He was put out at an early age to live with a Dutch farmer, and learned the language of his foster-parents, so that he now speaks it equally as well as English. At his majority he took up chair making and painting, and followed this occupation many years. He became a citizen of Zumbro in 1856, taking a claim on section 19, June 26. He still dwells on the original claim, and has one hundred and six acres of land. He arrived with nothing, and is now independent. On February 24, 1859, he was united in marriage to Miss Hannah E. Henry, daughter of James Henry, whose sketch appears elsewhere. Mrs. Dale has always been called Lizzie. She was born in Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, October 17, 1834. Mr. Dale is a republican and himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They have two children: John A., born March 2, 1861, resides at Grafton, Dakota; Carrie E., August 8, 1865, now fitting herself for a teacher at Rochester.
Damonde, Richard R. (page 1206 ~ spelled "Damoude" in biography), a prosperous Plainview merchant, was born in Waupun, Wisconsin, December 18, 1848. His parents were Richard and Jane (Edmonds) Damoude. When the great civil war was raging fiercest his youthful patriotism caused him, although but sixteen, to importune his parents for permission to offer his services to his country, and in May, 1864, he enlisted for one hundred days in the 41st Wis. Inf. This regiment during its brief existence was stationed at Memphis, being assigned to the 17th Corps. Very little fighting was seen by young Damoude during the three of four months he was in the army, as that period was only marked by one important event, the raid of the rebel Forrest. At the expiration of the one hundred days our subject returned to Wisconsin, and learned engineering in the steam-sawmills belonging to Daniel Shaw, Esq., of Eau Claire. For two years, from 1868 to 1870, he had charge of the engines in Woodruff, Tafft & Co's sawmills at Chippewa Falls. He next engaged in farming near King City, Missouri, but a cyclone which destroyed the bulk of his personal property, during the third year of his sojourn here, so disgusted him with Missouri that he left his farm for sale and came to Minnesota, located in the pretty little village of Plainview and engaged in teaming and running a steam thresher for four or five years. In 1878 he entered the employ of McLaughlin & Lynch, of the same place, dealers in agricultural implements. Was two years with this firm and three years with Lynch, successor to said firm. From January 1, 1883, to January 1, 1884, he was a member of the firm of Meachum & Damoude, and is now the sole proprietor of a very large business. He was married to Miss Hattie Beucus, a native of Wisconsin, at Fox Lake, in that state, May 22, 1870. They have two children: Lottie born in King City, Missouri, January 25, 1873, and Charles C., born in Plainview, December 25, 1874. Mr. Damoude is a republican in politics, and a prominent member of the Odd-Fellows fraternity of Plainview.
Darcy, John, (page 1048 ~ spelled "Darcey" in biography), farmer, has dwelt on the northwest quarter of section 2, Chester, ever since 1858, at which time he had claim to it under the United States land laws. Mr. Darcey is a native of Ireland, having been born in the parish of Kiltabrid, in or about the year 1831. He was reared on a farm, and set out at eighteen for America. He spent four years in New Jersey, and a like period in Illinois, at farm labor, then came here as above noted. His farm has been well improved, the buildings costing over two thousand dollars. He has always been a democrat, and himself and family are communicants in Belle Chester Catholic church. His marriage took place September 9, 1860, the bride being Miss Ellen Early, who was born in the same parish as himself in 1841, and came to America at sixteen. Their children are all at home, and were born as below noted: Mary J., February, 1863; Edward, July, 1864; John, June 8, 1866; Annie, August 4, 1868; Charles F., May 23, 1871; Allie, March 28, 1873; George, October 4, 1875; James, January 12, 1879.
Davis, James P., M.D., (page 1242), Kellogg, is a son of John and Maria Davis, all born in Monmouthshire, Englane; our subject in July, 1843. When the latter was about two years of age his parents settled near Pomeroy, Ohio, where they died within a few years. Young Davies received instruction in public and private schools and an academy; he also spent three years in the schools of Covington, Kentucky, and Cincinnati. The completion of his eighteenth year found him engaged in active warfare in the service of the United States, 4th Va. Inf. He served in West Virginia in 1861-2, participating in the battles of Charlestown and Bush Creek, besides some skirmishing with bushwhackers. From January, 1863, to March, 1864, he was in the army of the Tennessee, and was an actor at the attack on Haynes Bluff, Yazoo River campaign, siege and capture of Vicksburg, campaign against Jackson, Mississippi (July, 1863), campaign to relieve Chattanooga and Mission Ridge, and the skirmish with Forrest's cavalry near Tuscumbia, Alabama. He served in the Shenandoah valley in 1864, taking part in the battle of Piedmont in June. On account of poor health he was soon after discharged. From the fall of 1864 to the close of the civil war he was employed on a United States picket boat on the Mississippi. After the struggle was ended he went to St. Louis and pursued a course of medical study in the Missouri Medical College, from which institution he graduated. In the spring and summer of 1878, he traveled through this state in search of health, and settled at Kellogg in 1875, continuing a good practice to the present time. He is a member of the county and state medical societies. Was reared in the Presbyterian church, and is a supporter of the Christian faith. He is married, and has one son, William F., now in business at St. Paul.
Davis, Robert H., (page 962), farmer, became a resident of this county at the same time as his parents, as above stated. His farm embraces one hundred and twenty-seven acres, the residence standing on section 34. This is part of the claim taken in 1855. His birth occurred January 2, 1833, in St. Martin's parish, New Brunswick. The various removals of his father's family since that time describe his own. In April, 1858, he married Maria, relict of Charles Armstrong, and daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Corcer; she was born in Linden, Vermont, in 1827. In February, 1864, Mr. Davis enlisted in the United States service and was assigned to Brackett's cavalry battalion, serving on the plains until May, 1866. The youngest three of his children are at home, the others as below noted: Walter, born November 5, 1848, Atkinson, Nebraska; Sarah, February, 1859, now wife of Thomas Jones, Cavalier, Dakota; Frederick, December, 1861, same place; Mary, April, 1864, wife of Philemon Irwin, at Dunville, Wisconsin; Gladys, March, 1867; Frank, March, 1869; Georgiana, August, 1871.
Davis, William (page 962 ~ deceased) was one of the pioneer settlers of Chester township, taking a quarter of section 33 as his claim, in June, 1855, and leaving it to his family at his death, May 20, 1864. The birth of William Davis and his wife, formerly Amelia H. Bishop, took place in Horton, Nova Scotia, the former in August, 1796, and the latter February 4, 1799. They were married December 8, 1818, and shortly moved to New Brunswick and settled on a farm. In 1851 went to Princeton, Illinois, and four years later came here. Mrs. Davis is still living with her youngest son on the original claim. Mr. Davis affiliated with the republicans during his brief citizenship in the United States. The family is of Presbyterian training. Five of the twelve children are now living, as follows: James A., Atkinson, Nebraska; Amy A., Mrs. Alfred J. Miller, Zumbrota township; Robert H., noted below; Sarah J., wife of Samuel Augur, Atkinson; Miner, on old homestead.
Notes from a fellow genealogist: Hello Barbara, Thank you ever so much for the information. Boy did I make a connection Miner Davis is my Great-Grandfather. I have been looking for him allover. I have something to go on now. It is too bad it does not list all the children of William Davis & Robert H.Davis. Again thank you.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Davison, Capt. Daniel, (page 1108), was born July 27, 1826, in Pennsylvania, of American parents. His education was obtained in a common school, and is somewhat limited on account of his father's early death. He remained in his native town about ten years, when he moved with his parents to Muscatine, Iowa. His stay at this place was not long, however. The Indians at this place being very hostile and warlike, his father deemed it necessary to move, which he did, and we next find him located at Marion City, Missouri, then a thriving town. Shortly after moving to the aforesaid place his father died, thus leaving young Daniel, a boy of ten, to shift for himself. He remained in this place about three years after his father's death, when he again moved to St. Louis, Missouri, and was engaged in various occupations until about nineteen years of age. He then went to work on the river as common laborer for almost two years; he was then pilot, captain, etc., and remained as such the rest of his stay in St. Louis. Mr. Davison moved to Minnesota in the year 1861 and settled at Read's Landing; commenced work in the lumber business and continued for one year, when he found better employment in his old business as captain and pilot on the river, and has pursued same business ever since. At the commencement of the civil war he offered his services as volunteer in the 3d Minn. regt., but was refused on account of a partially crippled hand. In religion Mr. Davison is a Methodist, and in politics a republican. It was on account of his political views that he was obliged to leave St. Louis. He was an honorary member of the organization known as the St. Louis "Grays," and at the breaking out of the rebellion there was an organization known as the minute- men, organized under Gen. Frost, and Mr. Davison was asked to join the same, but refused. After refusing he was naturally looked upon as an enemy, and his business being upon the river he thought it unsafe to leave his family in St. Louis, and consequently moved to Read's Landing. He was married about the year 1854, to Maria Caroline Knapke. They have had ten children, eight of whom are still living.
Dawley, Charles G., (page 1023), a leading citizen and farmer, was one of the pioneers of Highland. He was the only son of Daniel and Hanna (Whitford) Dawley, both natives of Rhode Island, where the subject of this sketch was born June 16, 1814. Mr. Dawley, Sr., was a blacksmith, and worked in the old Gen. Green Anchor Forge Works. In 1825 Charles removed with his parents to western New York State. Nine years later he again followed his parents to Crawford county, Pennsylvania. In 1840, March 14, he married Charlotte Webster, a native of the Keystone State, then in her twentieth year. Three years later he came to McHenry county, Illinois, and settled on a farm. Catching the gold fever, he and four companions crossed the plains with an ox-team in 1853. He worked in mines in Sacramento county until his health gave out, and in 1856 he returned after first distributing his dust to defray the expenses of his sickness, and the following spring disposed of his property in Illinois, and brought his family to Wabasha county, settling on the farm where he still resides, one hundred and sixty acres on section 26. Mr. Dawley has always been a prominent man in the political affairs of the township; was a member of the first board of supervisors, and one of the first justices of the peace, and has continued to hold the latter office, with the exception of four years, ever since. In 1863 he was elected judge of probate for Wabasha county, and served one term, and in 1861 was also a county commissioner; five years he was chairman of the board of supervisors, and has also been township superintendent of schools. His politics are republican. Mr. Dawley has taught school thirty-one terms, fourteen in Wabasha county. His eldest son, Charles G., was killed at the last battle at Nashville, Tennessee. He was a member of the 10th Minn., and a sergeant in Co. C. He was born September 2, 1841, in Pennsylvania. The second child, Allen W., is a farmer in Highland; Mary (Mrs. R. H. Anderson, of Rochester) was the third child, and Daniel, the youngest, is attending the State Normal School at Winona. Mr. Dawley has for many years been postmaster of the Smithfield office.
Day, William Wallace, (page 961), liveryman, became a resident of this county in 1855, taking a claim on section 31, Chester, which he owned ten years. His residence has been most of the time in the village of Mazeppa. He has dealt a great deal in horses, and the fall of 1883 is the first in twenty-five in which he has not run a threshing machine. He now owns two and one-half blocks of village property, aside from his residence, and in the fall of 1883 built the handsome livery barn on Walnut street which he occupies for business. He is a member of the Masonic order; has always been a republican; was three years elected president of the village board, and is now serving the fourth year as treasurer of the village school funds. His father, Marvin Day, was a Connecticut Presbyterian of the strictest type, and Mr. Day's theological preferences are represented by that sect. Epaphroditus, father of Marvin Day, was also a native of Connecticut. The latter married Eliza Dunham, a native of the same state, and settled on a farm in Madison county, New York, town of the same name, where Wallace Day was born. He was reared on the farm and resided there till he came to Minnesota. His education was received at what was known as the "Frog Schoolhouse," in his native town. In 1860 he married Eliza J. Goodell, who was born in Munson, Maine; her parents, Joseth and Cynthia Hitchcock-Goodell, were natives of Westminister, Vermont. Their second child, Frank, died when two years old. The living were born on the dates accompanying their names below: Carrie E., November 9, 1860; William Harlan, September 20, 1864; Ernest Ellsworth, October 6, 1868; Homer Goodell, January 14, 1870; Herbert Wallace, August 20, 1873. Frank Waren, the second- born, died before two years old.
De Camp, Ira, (page 1294), Mississippi pilot, of Wabasha, was born in Harrisburg, Giles county, Virginia, January 26, 1850, and is the third child of Lewis De Camp, whose record is found above. He attended the city schools till fifteen years old, and then went on Mississippi lumber rafts. For the last five years he has been a steamboat pilot, for which occupation fifteen years of life on the river have amply fitted him. He has built two houses on Main street, one of which he occupies, the other now in process of completion (March, 1884). He is a member of the E.A.U., and of the Episcopal church. His political support has always been given to republicanism. In 1876 he was united in marriage to Miss Addie Benedict, daughter of James K. Benedict. Mrs. De Camp was born in Lowell, Massachusetts, and came here when young. Two children have been given this couple, and christened Ora and James Lewis.
War of 1812
De Camp, Lewis, (page 1293), carpenter, Wabasha, is a son of David and Sarah De Camp, all born in Harrisburg, Giles County, Virginia-this subject on January 12, 1821. His grandfather was a native of North Carolina, and was a soldier in the war in 1812, as was his father. Lewis De Camp was raised on a farm, and at twenty-five learned the carpenter's trade. He had previously spent some years in driving a six-horse freight team. In 1854 he went to Iowa City, Iowa, and engaged in farming, and came thence to Wabasha three years later. His home has ever since been here, and carpenter-work has received most of his attention. He now has considerable practice as a horse-farrier. He has eighty acres of land in Wisconsin, and two lots where his home is in Wabasha. In 1845 he married Adelia Duncan, native of his own county, as were her parents, Landon and Sarah Duncan. Five children made complete their family circle: Eliza Jane (Mrs. L. Malin), resides at Read's Landing; Mary (Blanchard), Massachusetts; Ira, sketched below); Alexander and Thomas reside with their parents. Mr. De Camp finds spiritual comfort in the faith of Universalism, and has always been an adherent of the republican party.
War of 1812
Dean, Willard W., (page 1104), farmer, Chester, was born at Lockport, New York, in August, 1829. His father, Harris Dean, was a native of Connecticut, and served in the United States army through the war of 1812. He married Sally Oliver, of Vermont, and settled on a farm at Lockport. Here the subject of these lines passed his youth till eighteen years old. His father died when he was only two years old, but he was kept at school, part of the time at Wilson College. When eighteen he set out for the west, and dwelt about thirteen years in Wisconsin, most of the time at Berlin, where he was engaged in draying. He was married in 1853, to Eliza Eggleston, a native of Greenwich, Washington county, New York. In 1860 they came to Minnesota and dwelt two years on a farm near Rochester. Three years later Mr. Dean bought the farm where he lives, on section 32, and has ever since been a resident of Chester. All his family, save one, are members of the Free-Will Baptist church in Mazeppa. Mr. Dean has always supported the principles of the republican party. His children were christened, and reside, as follows: Emma (Mrs. Myron Mack, now studying for the ministry), at Hillsdale, Michigan; Harris, Rochester; Lester, Minnie and Lydia, at home.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Dickman, P. G. (page 966 ~ spelled "Dickmann" in biography) farmer, was born in 1841, in Germany. He is the third son of George C. and Wiebke Dickman, natives of Germany. They came to Cook county, Illinois, when our subject was about twelve years old. In 1856 they came to Oakwood township. In 1861 Mr. Dickman served in the 8th Minn. Vols, for three years on the frontier, in the Bad Lands, and he was discharged, and, returning home, took charge of the old homestead, his father going to Winona. He now has four hundred acres, nearly all improved, of very fine land, with one of the finest residences in Oakwood. He is a member of the Masonic order. He is one of Oakwood's supervisors. He has been a democrat for the last few years. He is one of our most enterprising and intelligent citizens. He was married, in 1867, to Annie Schach, native of Germany. They have nine children.
Notes from a fellow genealogist: Peter George Dickman was my husband's Great Grandfather on his mom's side. He was also Mathilda's uncle, her father being Frederick C Dickman 1837-1869. Her mother was Margaretha Mary Scherenbouken 1842 - 1930. Her second husband was Hans Eggers. They had a son who married Margaret Laura Burnham.
Dickerman, Dorr, (page 1302), of the village of Elgin, was born in the town of Tunbridge, Orange county, Vermont, on March 12, 1855. He is a son of Lewis and Emily Dickerman, and was brought up on his father's farm in his native state, receiving his early education at the district schools of the county, which he attended in the winter months. When he had arrived at the age of twenty-three, our subject struck out for the west, arriving on March 30, 1878, at Elgin, Minnesota, were he commenced working for his cousin, Ezra Dickerman, as a farm hand, remaining in his employ until the fall of that year, when he went to Rochester, Minnesota, entered a select school and completed his education there in the spring of 1879. During the summer season of 1879 our subject returned to Ezra Dickerman's farm in his former capacity, and during the season of 1880 he worked the same farm with him on shares. In the spring of 1881 Mr. Dickerman went into the hardware, tinware and stove business in the village of Elgin, in conjunction with Elijah and Alonzo Ordway, under the firm name of Ordway, Dickerman & Co. He remained in business until March 15, 1884, when he retired from the partnership, having sold out his interest to his copartners. On March 15, 1882, Mr. Dickerman was united in marriage with Miss Mary Senrick, daughter of Michael and Elizabeth Senrick, all residents of Elgin. The ceremony took place at Rochester, Minnesota. The issue of the marriage consists of two daughters, Emily, born October 27, 1882, and Mary B., born January 26, 1884. Mr. Dickerman resides with his family on a nice property which he owns on South street in the village of Elgin, known as lot No. 6, block 7. Although never seeking political preferment, Mr. Dickerman was run by the people on an independent ticket for the office of town clerk on March 13, 1883, and elected over his competitor, the regular nominee. In politics Mr. Dickerman is a democrat, as his father and grandfather were before him. Since the above sketch was written Mr. Dickerman has transferred his property in the village to his cousin and former employer Ezra Dickerman, and has bought the farm of the latter, consisting of the W. 1/2 of the N.W. 1/4 of Sec. 4, and the south 50 acres and the east 1/2 of the north 30 acres of the E. 1/2 of the N.E. 1/4 of Sec. 5, in the town of Viola, where he will shortly move and carry on farming.
Dieterle, Herman, (page 1109), foreman, in charge of Jewell & Schmidt's tinshop, is a native of Tubingen, Wurtemberg. He learned his trade as a tinsmith there, and followed it for years prior to his coming to America in 1854. He was in New York city and the eastern states for three years, then came west; was in Chicago one season, and from there removed to Alma in 1858, having been informed that there was no tinsmith within fifty miles of that city. Supposing it to be a town of some importance Mr. Dieterle came with the expectation of finding a good opening for business, but as there were at that time only two or three small buildings there, the prospect was not flattering. Not discouraged, however, he stuck his stakes, built a shop, and remained there until 1862, when he came to this city, entered the tinshop of Joshua Egbert, and has been in the constant employ of that house and its successors (with the exception of one year spent in the United States army) ever since. He enlisted in Co. G, 2d Art. regt., and served until mustered out. In 1879, desiring to devote some attention to fruit culture, and choosing a location somewhat removed from the center of business, Mr. Dieterle removed to his present home at the east end of the city, corner of Washingotn and Wabasha streets. He has a pleasant location on rising ground, affording a good view of the river, and his three lots are completely covered with vines and small fruits. He has of grapes two hundred vines; raspberry bushes, four hundred; currant bushes, two hundred; and, besides a fine strawberry bed, apples, plums and cherries in considerable numbers. Mr. Dieterle is a student of all matters connected with the working of metals. His library on these subjects is quite complete, and he is a regular contributor to the periodicals treating these subjects. He is also thoroughly conversant with all the late inventions in mechanical arts, and takes the patent-office reports as they are regularly issued. May 26, 1863, Mr. Dieterle was married to Regina Eberle. They have two children: Henry, born August 18, 1866, who has almost completed his apprenticeship under his father's instructions, and Minnie, born August 23, 1875, who attends the Sisters' school in this city.
Dietrich, Joseph, (page 1022), shoemaker, Water street, business established in this city in 1857. Mr. Dieterich was born in Bavaria, learned his trade there, came to America in 1854, settling first in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where he remained until his removal to this county in 1857. He married, prior to his emigration to America, Margaretta Schell, in 1851, who died at Read's Landing, March 6, 1880. Their children are: Maggie (wife of Peter Gibson, of Read's Landing), born in April, 1852; John, born in June, 1856; Emma, born January 1865. On April 13, 1882, Mr. Dieterich married Elizabeth Koller.
Disney, William J., (page 1024), farmer, son of John and Mary Disney, was born in Oneida county, New York, in 1842. At the age of fifteen he came with his parents to this county, where he has resided since that time. He enlisted in 1864, in Co. E., 11th Minn., and served until the close of the war. Although he was never in an engagement, yet he did faithful service for the government in guarding supply trains to our armies in the south. Mr. Disney was married to Miss Ward in 1869. He is a member of the Carnelian Lodge of Masons, of Lake City. Politically he is a republican.
Disney, John, (page 1079 deceased), settled in Gillford in 1857, on the farm still owned by his widow. Thomas and Catharine Disney, his parents, emigrated from Ireland to New York city, where John was born March 17, 1803. Here the mother died in March, 1805, aged forty-four, and his father returning to his native land, and died there December, 1815, at the age of fifty-nine. This subject lived with a sister at Richmond, New York, till ten years old, when he ran away and joined the American army as a drummer. After knocking about the world for some time, he settled in this county as above related. In the fall of 1878 he bought a residence in Lake City, where he continued to dwell till his death, which occurred October 27, 1880. June 9, 1823, he was married to Lois Clark, who died March 15, 1848, leaving four children. Robert, John and William reside in Gillford. Mary is the wife of Edwin Brown, at Joliet Illinois. On June 23, 1849, Mr. Disney was a second time married to Mary Sweetman nee Wall, who bore him four children. By her first marriage Mrs. Disney had one daughter, Henrietta, now Mrs. Daniel Edwards, Lake City. The others are: Kate (Mrs. Albert Field), Zumbro Falls; Lois (Byron Miller), Mexico, New York; Charles, attorney, Hudson, Wisconsin; Alice (Colby), Lake City. Mr. Disney was a member of the Methodist church, and always supported republican principles.
Doane, Samuel H., (page 1014), was born in Jefferson county, New York, on August 18, 1816. His parents were farmers, and Samuel's early years and youth were spent on a farm. In 1843 he, in company with his brother Daniel, went to Rockland county, in the same state, and worked as farm hands for one of the old German farmers of that vicinity. They remained with him for several years, and induced him to lay aside the old-fashioned one-handled plow and wooden-tooth harrow, with which he had cultivated his land, after the manner of his parents. In the fall of 1856 Samuel came to Highland township. He labored among farmers for many years, and drew the lumber for the first hotel ever erected in Plainview. He now resides with his brother Daniel, on the latter's farm, which adjoins his own snug little place of forty acres on section 33.
Doane, Robert M., (page 1014), was born near Adams Village, Jefferson county, New York, November 8, 1823. His parents were farmers, and Robert's early life was spent on a farm. At. the age of sixteen he found himself possessed of a fair education, obtained in the common schools, and the school at Watertown, New York, which he attended one year. When sixteen years old he was employed by Mr. S. P. Johnson, a wealthy drover of Clayton, New York, as a stock-buyer. Two years later he entered the employment of E. G. Merrick, another prominent business man of Clayton, and continued in his service most of the time as a sailor on the lakes until the year 1853. May 8, 1849, he married Jennette Marshall, who was born in Lisbon, St. Lawrence county, New York, May 8, 1823. In 1856 they came to Minnesota, and settled on section 33 in Highalnd township. Mr. and Mrs. Doane have three children, viz: Mrs. Ettie Moore, of Castleton, Dakota; Daniel W. and Frederick H., residing at home. Mr. Doane is a member of the Congregational church, a republican in politics, and has held various positions of public trust, being one of the first board of supervisors in Highland township.
Doughty, Asa B., (page 990), president of the Lake City Mill Company, was born on Long Island, New York, in 1826. His parents were also natives of the same state; the former, Samuel Doughty, died soon after our subject's birth, and the latter, Elizabeth (Nelson) Doughty, with two of her sons, Edward and Asa B., and a daughter, Alice, and her husband, Henry Coleman, in 1837 emigrated to Illinois, and settled in Bloomington, McLean county. Here Mr. Coleman established himself in the manufacture of plows and other farm machinery, and with him our subject learned the trade. In 1855 Mr. Doughty made a prospecting tour to Lake City, and seeing the natural advantages of the place, bought property, and returned to Illinois to make arrangements for a final settlement here, which he did in July, 1857. The prevailing malarious influences of the climate in Illinois had so impaired his health, that he remained comparatively inactive for nearly four years after his arrival here. He then embarked in the grain and commission business, and after a few years' experience in the fluctuations and uncertainties of commerce turned his attention to the business of his trade, and engaged in the manufacture of wagons, plows and harrows, built up a large trade and conducted a prosperous business till 1880. In the fall of this year the Lake City Flour Mill passed into his possession; this he formed into a joint-stock company, and remodeled it throughout, put in the new roller process and entire new machinery, making it a complete merchant mill, with a capacity of one hundred and twenty-five barrels per day. The officers are: A. B. Doughty, president; R. White, vice- president; directors, G. F. Benson, A. Basey, G. M. Dwelle, J. Dobner, C. A. Hubbard, E. Hackett and L. H. Buck; Mr. Henry Selover, superintendent and secretary. Mr. Doughty was married in 1849, to Miss Ellen McClung, a native of Virginia, who came to Illinois in a very early day. She died in 1862, leaving Mr. Doughty with two children: Lillie, now Mrs. Wm. C. Water, of Sioux Falls, Dakota, and Lulu, now Mrs. B. Y. McNairy, of Campbell, Minnesota. His second marriage was in 1864, with Miss Sue Johns, a native of Pennsylvania. By this marriage he has had no children, though their home is made pleasant by the presence of Miss Anna Seilheimer, who is a distant relative of his wife, and has found a home with them for several years.
Doughty, John Coleman, (page 1231), of the Jewell Nursery Co., Lake City, was born in Rockaway, Long Island, July 4, 1846, and is a son of Samuel Doughty, a banker of Lake City, whose personal history appears elsewhere in this work. As the parents of J. Coleman entered on a pioneer life in Minnesota when he was scarcely nine years old, his educational advantages were not very flattering; this disadvantage, however, compensated for by a two years' course at Oberlin College, and one year at Bryant & Stratton's Business College. He first started in business for himself as a contractor in bridge building, which he followed for about five years. He then bought into the hardware business with E. Hacket, at Lake City, whom he in time bought out, and continued the business alone till May, 1882, when he associated with himself in trade Mr. W. H. Hobbs, a worthy young man of this city. Mr. Doughty had built up and conducted a prosperous trade, and the addition of the new man to the business was the addition of still more life and activity, so that when they sold out to Anson Pierce, on February 4, 1884, it was said to be one of the best mercantile houses in the city. On February 26, 1884, Mr. Doughty, with Mr. J. M. Underwood and S. M. Emery, organized and had incorporated the Jewell Nursery Company, each taking one-third of its stock. A history of this enterprise will be found in the chapter on Lake City. Mr. Doughty was married, March 21, 1869, to Miss Mary C. Herron, a native of Crawfordsville, Indiana, who died in 1874. His second marriage was on September 17, 1878, with Miss Mary F. Brill, who was born in Fillmore county, Minnesota, July 12, 1855. He has three children, Mary and Katie by his first wife, and Jesse E. by his present one. He is a member of the Masonic fraternities of this city.
Doughty, Samuel, (page 958), president of Lake City bank, was born at Rockaway, New York, in 1818. His ancestry on both sides includes the earliest emigrants from England to Long Island. His maternal grandfather, Henry Nelson, served the colonies through the revolutionary war. Samuel and Betsey Doughty, his parents, were born on Long Island. Our subject was reared on a farm, three miles from any schoolhouse, and there were no free schools on Long Island in those days, within eighteen miles of New York city, the commercial and literary metropolis of America at that time. Thanks to a noble mother, his education was not wholly neglected. It is a matter of honest pride to Mr. Doughty that, through his earnest and shrewdly-directed efforts, a free school was established in the same district. This was after he had learned the blacksmith's trade and set up a shop at his early home. At. fifteen he went to acquire his craft, and began business, as above noted, before twenty. He was soon elected a member of the school board, and took great pains to secure to the youth of the community advantages which he had himself been denied. In 1839 he married Hannah Rider, also a native of Long Island. Thirteen years later he removed to Bloomington, Illinois, where he continued to operate his craft. In 1855 he came thence to this point, and has been since identified with the growth and progress of Lake City. He became an owner in the town site, and was many years occupied with the care of transfers and other matter, attendant on the upbuilding of a thriving city. In 1874 he assumed his present position as president of the Lake City bank. In regard to matters of theology, Mr. Doughty is a total unbeliever. Politically he was a democrat till a few years before the civil war, and has been a republican ever since. He has four sons. The eldest, Maj. Edward, and the youngest, Frank, reside with their father; Calvin, at Heron Lake, this state, and J. Cole, in business here.
From a fellow genealogist: Hi Barbara, Here is the Descendant Line of
Doughty to Samuel Doughty. I hope it is helpful to someone. The Rev. Francis
Massachusetts in 1638/9 and removed to New York (Nieu Amsterdam) in 1642 when
the Mespat Patent from the Dutch. He established a colony there in the western
end of Long
Island eventually settling in Flushing. He left New York for the Virginia
Colony about 1658 with
his widowed daughter Mary and youngest son Enoch. Bill
1 Rev. Francis Doughty 1605 - Aft 1684 b: November 4, 1605 in Bristol,England d: Aft 1684 in possibly Rappahanock Co., Virginia, or Maryland Occupation: Presbyterian/Episcopal Minister
.. +Bridgette (Stone?) Abt 1604 - 1639-1657 b: Abt 1604 in England m: Abt 1629 in Oldbury, Gloucestershire, England d: 1639-1657 in probably Massachusetts-New York
... 2 Elias Doughty 1632 - 1692-1696 b: 1632 in Oldsbury,Gloucestershire,England d: 1692-1696 in Flushing, NY Occupation: Prominent, prosperous and highly respected
........+Sarah Francis 1636 - Abt 1726 b: 1636 in Flushing,NY m: 1659 in Flushing, Queens, NY d: Abt 1726
......... 3 Elias Doughty 1664 - 1745 b: 1664 in Flushing,Queens Co., NY d: December 1, 1745 in Flushing, Queens Co., NY
..............+Elizabeth Hinchman Abt 1665 - b: Abt 1665 m: Abt 1690 in Flushing, NY
............... 4 Elias Doughty 1685 - 1777 b: 1685 in Flushing, Queens County, NY d: May 1777 in NY
....................+Mary Ismond Abt 1695 - b: Abt 1695 m: 1718 in Flushing, NY
.....................5 Jacob Doughty 1718-1723 - Aft 1775 b: 1718-1723 in Flushing, Queens Co., NY d: Aft 1775
..........................+Elizabeth Ismond Abt 1725 - b: Abt 1725 m: Abt 1745
...........................6 George Doughty 1744-1749 - 1775-1776 b: 1744- 1749 in Flushing, Queens Co., NY d: 1775-1776
................................+Abigail Doxey Abt 1743 - b: Abt 1743 m: Abt 1763
.................................7 Samuel Doughty 1766 - 1833 b: February 19, 1766 in Long Island, NY d: March 10, 1833 in Rockaway, Queens Co., NY
......................................+Hannah Tatterson Abt 1767 - Bef 1801 b: Abt 1767 m: August 19, 1787 in Presbyterian Church Smithtown, Suffolk Co., NY d: Bef 1801
.................................*2nd Wife of Samuel Doughty:
......................................+Elizabeth Nelson 1786 - 1859 b: September 19, 1786 in New Windsor, Orange, NY m: 1801-1802 in NY d: May 15, 1859 in Maxville, Buffalo, WI
.......................................8 Samuel Doughty 1816 - 1893 b: September 21, 1816 in Rockaway, Queens Co., NY d: October 9, 1893 in Lake City, Wabasha, MN Occupation: 1850 Blacksmith
............................................+Hannah Rider 1823 - Aft 1850 b: 1823 in Long Island, NY m: July 22, 1838 in Bellport, Suffolk Co., NY d: Aft 1850
Douglas, Hugh, (page 1331), steamboat owner and captain, was born - July 17, 1817 - and reared in Dumfries, Scotland, where he had the advantages of good schools. At eighteen years of age he left home and kindred to make himself a home in America. He first located at Aurora, Illinois, where he was employed at farm labor. Thence he went to Melrose, Wisconsin, and engaged in farming on Black river. In 1866 he settled at Durand, and has ever since been steamboating. For six years he ran the Little Monitor on the Chippewa river. He then built, and was one-third owner with Ingraham & Kennedy, of Eau Claire, in the Clyde, which he commanded eleven years. Is now half-owner of the Ruby, which makes daily round trips between Lansing and La Crosse - a distance of ninety miles - during the season, under Capt. Douglas' command, carrying freight and passengers. Capt. Douglas became a resident of Wabasha in 1872, and has a fine home on the corner of Third and Walnut streets, which is kept most tidy by his estimable wife. Mr. D. has been thrice married, the last time, January 22, 1872, to Mrs. Harriet E. Crosby, born in Lyons, Wayne county, New York. Mrs. D. has two daughters, Mary Alice and Rosella. The former is the wife of Henry A. Johnson, in Dakota, and the latter of Martin Stevens, in Wabasha. Mr. Douglas was reared by Presbyterian parents, and since becoming an American citizen has always voted the straight Republican ticket.
Drinkwalter, Rhoderick W., (page 996), farmer, Zumbro, is among the early settlers of Mazeppa, that part in which he resides having been set off quite recently. In 1856 he built a sawmill on the main Zumbro near where the bridge now crosses the same, a mile above the mouth of the north branch. He was a pioneer in the town of Fox Lake, Wisconsin, where he settled in 1842, and was one of the first supervisors of that town, as well as of Mazeppa, being elected in 1858. He is a republican in politics. Himself and wife have been forty years members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They were married October 1, 1838. Mrs. Drinkwalter's name was Mary Lord, and she was born in Connecticut. Her parents were Andrew and Mary Lord, born in the same state. Mr. Drinkwalter was born in Pike, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, October 30, 1814. He received a common-school education, and was always accustomed to farm life. His mother, Betsey Pratt, was born in the same town as he. His father, Stephen K., was a native of Connecticut. He became a resident here in 1856, and secured one-fourth of section 13, where he lives. Has since acquired eighty acres more, and one hundred and five on the river, where his sawmill stood. His eldest child was born July 30, 1839, and christened Pratt. He was married April 5, 1883, to Lena Scholer, born August 25, 1863, in Glasgow, this county. He has one hundred and sixty acres adjoining his father's land, and dwells in the same house with him. Cordelia was born September 12, 1844, and married George Hall, as elsewhere noted.
Drury, M. E., (page 1028), lumberman, is in business with Peter Kirns. Mr. Drury, the only resident member of the firm, is a native of County Kerry, Ireland. Leaving home at thirteen years of age, accompanied by a brother two years older than himself, he crossed the seas to seek his fortune in the new world, landing in New York in 1853. The next four years were spent at the east and south in whatever work he could find to do, and in 1857 he came to Wabasha, found employment in the lumber trade, and for twenty-six years has made it his business. Ten years after coming to this city, 1867, he began contracting, coupling rafts at this point for the Eau Claire Lumber Company, keeping their books and doing their business at this point. This business was followed until 1878, during the winter season in the woods, superintending logging operations and scaling. Since the towing operations began, business in the woods discontinued. In 1865 Mr. Drury's father, mother, and his two sisters, Catharine and Maggie, came to America, and the following year to Wabasha, making their home with M. E. Drury, who is unmarried. He has a very pleasant home on the corner of Third and Bailly. Mrs. Drury (his mother) died in this city, September, 1880.
Duffus, William (page 1053), farmer, is a native of Aberdeenshire, Scotland,
where he was born October 8, 1829. His parents were James and Margaret
(Allan) Duffus, to
whom were born three children, William being the second. The subject of our
sketch has always
been a tiller of the soil, and in 1851 he emigrated to Ontario, and shortly
after to Racine county,
Wisconsin. After farming here two years he came farther west, and soon
settled on the farm he
now occupies. October 15, 1868, he wedded Ann Wilson, a native of Banffshire.
have been the fruit of this union, viz: Margaret A. and John A. Mr. Duffus
and wife belong to
the Presbyterian church. He is a republican. His farm of one hundred and
sixty acres is among
the best on the prairie. He is a genial, hospitable gentleman, and a credit
to the community where
he has so long resided.
For more information, see Duffus File.
Dugan, E. J. (page 1044 ~ index says "F. J."), general merchant, location northwest corner Main and Alleghaney streets. The location is most central; the building itself, one of the two full plate-glass fronts in the city, well adapted to the purposes of trade, fronts twenty-five feet on Main, eighty feet on Alleghaney, with entrances on both, and has an addition, 16x16, for provisions and dry storage. The structure is a solid brick, stone foundation and basement,; cut stone caps, sills and trimmings. The basement is eight feet deep; the storeroom proper fourteen feet ceiling, well lighted and conveniently arranged for business. House employs a force of four clerks, one delivery wagon, and reports an increase of trade of fully ten per cent over corresponding period of 1882. E. J. Dugan was born in New York city, educated in Brooklyn, completing his studies at Nogent sur Maine, near Paris, France, in 1855. Returning to his native city, he remained there until 1858, when he came west with his father's family and settled in this city, Was in business in the interior of the county, and clerking in the county offices until 1863, when he engaged in trade under the firm name of Dugan Bros., and so continued four years. Was for two years assistant United States collector of internal revenue, after the death of W. W. Prindle, and went to St. Paul in connection with the duties of that office, remaining there for some time thereafter, and engaging in business. Returning to Wabasha he resumed trade in this city in 1879, in his present location. Mr. E. J. Dugan married Miss E. L. Cory, of Cooperstown, Otsego, New York, in that city, March 3, 1862. Their children are Albert, born July 13, 1863; Ed. J., Jr., November 4, 1878.
Duncan, George, (page 954), farmer, is one of the first settlers of Wabasha county, having located land in the township of Mazeppa June 8, 1855. Four years later he sold out and settled on section 28, Chester, where he remained till 1876, when he moved to his present home on section 27, same township. Here he has one hundred and twenty acres, and has a like amount in 26. In 1872 he served against his will as town supervisor, being induced to accept the office on account of receiving a unanimous vote. He has always been a republican. Was reared under Presbyterian teachings, to which he still adheres. Mr. Duncan was born in Kergill parish, Perthshire, Scotland, November 2, 1830. He was reared to farm labor, and on passing his majority (March, 1852) set out for America. He spent three years in farm labor in Monroe county, New York, and in the Pennsylvania pineries, and then came here as above related. He butchered and sold the first beef so handled in Mazeppa in the fall 1855. His capital was very limited when he came to this state, and his own toil and sagacity have made him independent. He was married June, 1858, to Martha A., daughter of Lewis Blunt, one of the pioneers of Mazeppa. After bearing ten children, Mrs. Duncan was taken away by death, March 16, 1875. Of the children eight survive, as follow: Minnie (Mrs. William Lancecum, Fort Worth, Texas), Cynthia A. (Mrs. H. H. Judd, Chester), George J., San Antonio, Texas; the rest are at home, Ulysses Grant, William W., Verona, Stella May and Libbie.
Dwelle, Abner, (page 943), retired farmer, one of the founders and the pioneer settler of Lake City, was born in Greenwich, New York, January 2, 1805. His grandfather and father bore the same name-the former was a sea captain-and both served through the revolutionary war. They were of Massachusetts birth. The mother of this subject was Miriam Martin, of New York birth. Her son, of whom we write, passed his youth on a farm, attending the primitive common schools about three months during the winter till eighteen years old. He then entered a woolen carding and spinning establishment, and continued in this kind of occupation sixteen years. January 8, 1829, he was united in marriage to Miss Electa C. Lawrence, a native of Onondaga county. In 1837 he went to Kalamazoo county, Michigan, and cleared a farm in Texas township. Here he remained until his removal to Wabasha county in 1854. Ten years after his location in Michigan, death took away his faithful helpmeet. She was the mother of nine children, of whom seven survived her and are still living, all save one in this state. The eldest and youngest, Carrie M. and Jennie, reside with their father. The eldest son, Elijah, is at Pittsbury, G. M., Henry and Thomas L. are in Lake City, and Albert A. in Chicago. February 17, 1849, Mr. Dwelle espoused Zilpha Knapp, born in Chase, New York. Since the time of his settlement here he has dwelt on the same spot. He purchased half-breed scrip and secured three quarter-sections of land for himself and sons, on sections 4, 8 and 9. His residence is on 4, within a rod of the site of the original log cabin. In partnership with Samuel Doughty and Abner Tibbetts, he platted the city in 1856, and has sold off a portion of his estate in town lots. He still retains a handsome farm on the outskirts of the city, and takes a deep interest in both rural and city affairs. Although seventy-nine years of age, he walks erect, without a cane, and is in the full enjoyment of all his faculties. Every day, summer or winter, rain or shine, he may be seen on the streets of the beautiful city which he founded. His last birthday anniversary was celebrated at his home by a family reunion, at which were present children and grandchildren, to the number of nearly a score. During his residence in Michigan Mr. Dwelle was an active member in the Congregational church, and earned the title of Deacon, by which he has ever since been known. He is now a firm believer in the Spirtualistic faith. Politically he was a whig and abolitionist, and is a republican.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Dwelle, Thomas L., (page 943), fourth son of Abner Dwelle, was born in Michigan, September 12, 1840, and was therefore nearly fourteen years of age when he came with his father to the site of Lake City. Immediately after the attack on Fort Sumter he enlisted in the three months service of the United States. As soon as his time expired he was enrolled in Co. I, 1st Minn. Vols., and served in the army of the Potomac. At the battle of Ball's Bluff he received a bullet wound through the right shoulder, by which he was disabled, and was discharged in February, 1862. Returning to Lake City he has ever since been occupied in the management of his farm. He now has over two hundred acres, part of his farm being within the city limits, where he resides. He is now doing a profitable business in supplying the city with milk. In October, 1877, he married Laura M. Sears, who was born in Caledonia, Wisconsin. Mrs. D. is a daughter of William Sears, who was born in New York. One child, a daughter, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Dwelle April 29, 1880, and christened Addie Pearl.