Edwards, William H., (page 1330), contractor, Wabasha, was born in Ogdensburg, New York, November 16, 1855. His father, Daniel Edwards, was of English descent, born in Maine, and a Methodist in religion. His mother, Ella Edwards, was a native of Ireland, and a Roman Catholic. The first sixteen years of his life were spent in his native town, and he then set out to make his way in the world. He engaged in various laborious occupations, and thus traveled about the country a great deal, being at one time engaged in lumbering on the Truckee river, in California. He became a resident of this city in August, 1878, and has since been employed in furnishing material for government Improvements on the Upper Mississippi. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and independent in politics. January 25, 1879, he was married to Isabel, daughter of Jacob Bush, a pioneer of this city, elsewhere sketched, and has a fine home on Main street. Three children grace his fireside, and have been christened Cora Belle, Gertrude Ella, and Raymond William.
Edholm, Axel E., (page 1189), merchant, Lake City, became established in business here in 1873. In the city of Orebro, Sweden, July 4, 1847, he was born. Until he was thirteen years old he attended the schools of the city, and then went to Stockholm, and entered a store as clerk. He came thence to Lake City in 1870, and was here employed in the same way three years. In the great fire of 1882 his stock was destroyed, inflicting a loss of some thousands of dollars. He immediately secured a new stock, and is still doing a fine business, his annual sales exceeding twenty-five thousand dollars. Mr. Edholm was married in Sweden, in 1876, to Hildegarde Liliander, who was born and reared in Stockholm. Two daughters have been given to this union, and christened Bertha and Edith. All are membes of the Lutheran church. Mr. Edholm is an adherent of the republican party. His father, Gustafus, came to this city with eight children in 1869. The youngest son died while a student at St. Peter. Edward, another son, is employed in his brother's store here, and W. W. is in Minneapolis. Five daughters are married and living in this state, and the widow, Christina, still resides here. Gustafus Edholm died here September 11, 1875.
Notes from fellow genealogist: Edla Edholm is my great-grandmother, married to Andrew Anderson. Both were born in Sweden and one of their children was my grandfather Hugo Ephraim Anderson born in Lake City, MN, April 4, 1882. Would appreciate any more information available. Don Anderson
Eichenberger, Rudolph: (page 1029), Elizabeth, widow of Rudolph, meat market and dealer in hides and pelts, corner Second, and Pembroke streets. This business was established in this city in 1857, on the corner of Second and Pembroke streets, now occupied by Whitmore's drugstore, and was removed from there to its present location in 1874, where Mr. Eichenberger continued business until his death, November 27, 1871, since which date the business has been continued by his widow, assisted by her sons, Rudolph and John. Mr. and Mrs. Eichenberger were born in Aargau, Switzerland, were married there in 1856, and the same year came to America, settling in Chicago. Remaining there one year, he removed to Wabasha in the fall of 1857, and established himself in business. The property, now occupied by the business then established, fronts sixty feet on Second street and one hundred and forty feet on Pembroke, and on this lot the shop, dwelling, icehouse, etc., are built. The slaughter- house and cattle-yards are at the lower end of the city, on the river bank. They slaughter from five to eight beeves a week, and from four to six each of calves and sheep, and handle about three hundred and fifty hides and two hundred pelts in the year. Their safe has a capacity for sufficient dressed meat to supply about forty-eight hours' demand. The children are: Rudolph, born April 15, 1857; John, born June 4, 1858; Emma, born February 22, 1861.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Emery, Caleb C., (page 1193), stock-dealer, has been a resident of Mazeppa since 1874, during which year he built a meat-market on First street, above Walnut, and a residence west of the river. He now has a partner who manages the market, and Mr. Emery is constantly occupied in buying and shipping stock. The subject of this matter was one of the pioneers of Olmsted county, having taken up land in Oronoco in September, 1855. From that time he was engaged in farming there until his removal to Mazeppa. He was reared on a farm in New Hampshire, having been born in the town of Holderness, that state, on January 4, 1834. His parents, John Emery and Sarah Fifield, were natives of the same state. He received a common-school education, and on reaching his majority set out to make himself a home in the west. In February, 1865, Mr. Emery enlisted in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art., and was stationed at Chattanooga till the close of the war. He has always been a democrat; served some time as assessor in Oronoco. On May 8, 1867, C. C. Emery and Helen M. George were united in marriage. Mrs. Emery is the only daughter of Col. James and Rhoda T. George, also pioneers of Oronoco. Col. George commanded the 2d regiment in the war of the rebellion, and was a well-known and popular man in Olmsted county and the state at large. Mr. and Mrs. Emery's five children were given to them as follows: Clara E., January 21, 1869; James George, April 25, 1870; Rhoda J., April 26, 1872; Mary E., September 10, 1876; Helen E., January 9, 1878.
Emery, James H., (page 1127), practical horseshoer, Lake City, was born in Plymouth, Windsor county, Vermont, in 1822. He is the son of Dr. John W. Emery, who is now a resident of Michgan, and eighty-four years old. Mr. Emery learned his trade in Boston, and took special veterinary lessons on shoeing from Dr. Varey, a veterinary surgeon of Boston, Massachusetts, and came west to Chicago many years ago. He there conducted a prosperous business till the outbreak of the late war, when he enlisted in the 18th, Ill. Cav., commanded by Col. Farnsworth. The three and a half years following was spent in active warfare in behalf of his country, in the army of the Potomac. In 1865 he came to Lake City, opened up a horse-shoeing and blacksmith-shop, and still continues the business. His wife, whose society he has enjoyed for the last thirty years, was Charlotte Gould, a daughter of David Gould, of Vermont, and is the mother of his two children, Laura, the wife of J. R. Clark, of Chicago, and Winslow D.
Emery, Hon Sloan M., (page 1231), also of the Jewell Nursery Co., is another of the self-made men of this new and prosperous state. He was born at Columbus, Texas, in 1848, and within nine weeks both of his parents died of yellow fever, leaving him an orphan in infancy. Soon after his bereavement he was taken to Mississippi by a relative, and, some years subsequently, to Pennsylvania. His next move was to Memphis, Tennessee, where he remained till his twentieth year. Up to this time his educational interests had not received the desired attention, although the study of the lower branches had been pursued with due diligence as opportunity afforded. At that time he entered the collegiate institute at Valparaiso, Indiana, and there completed a three years' course. He was married there in 1870, to Miss Julia H. Haas, a daughter of Samuel G. Haas, Esq., well known in that state. In 1871 he came to Minnesota, permanently locating in Lake City, and the next year entered the private banking-house of Joel Fletcher. He was a moving spirit in the organization of the Lake City bank in the fall of 1873, was its first vice-president, one of the board of directors, and is the only one (except J. W. Ray) of the original incorporators now connected with it. In 1879 he resigned the vice-presidency and associated himself with J. M. Underwood in the nursery, farming and live-stock business. For a more particular account of this enterprise reference may be had to the history of the Jewell Nursery in another chapter. Mr. Emery, although comparatively a young man and by no means an early settler, has evinced to his friends and associates, and the general public, that high order of intelligence and executive ability which has won for him the seat which he now fills in the state legislature. On him this honor was conferred in the fall of 1882, from this (twenty-third) district. Mr. and Mrs. Emery are members of the Presbyterian church.
Enright, J. C. (page 1240), farmer, Watopa, was born in the parish of Newton, County Kerry, Ireland, June 24, 1834. His mother died in her native land, and the father on the way to America on shipboard. With his brothers, Mr. Enright, in his twentieth year, arrived at Wabasha, April 5, 1854. Some years had been previously spent in Westchester and Chenango counties, New York. His first claim in Minnesota was near the site of Tepecotah, in Greenfield townships, where he was engaged for some time in supplying steamboats with wood. He subsequently spent some years in the mines and cattle ranches of Montana, Colorado and Kansas. Returning to Watopa in 1870, he settled on his present farm of four hundred acres, his residence being on section 27, in Indian Creek valley. He is chiefly engaged in grain raising. Is a life-long democrat, and all his family are communicants in the Roman Catholic church. In 1870 Mr. Enright married Maria Fitzgerald, born Quigley, in County Tipperary, Ireland, in 1839. By her first marriage, Mrs. Enright has two sons, James, now in Washington Territory, and Thomas, in Kellogg. Mr. Enright's children are John A., Stephen W., Joseph E. and Ellen M. all at home.
Estes, David Corbin, (page 1038), dentist, Lake City, is among the best known and most cultured citizens of Wabasha county. Morally and politically the doctor has done much for Lake City. In the great fire of 1882 was totally destroyed the largest private natural history collection of the Northwest, the property of Dr. Estes, which had always been kept open to the public in a large room devoted to the purpose. At the same time he lost a complete scientific library. All the natural sciences received a great deal of attention from his searching mind, but since his great loss most of his study has been given to astronomy. Upon this subject he gives occasional lectures, and has more calls for this line of enlightening work than he can meet. From boyhood he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and gathered together the first Methodist society here and established the first Methodist Sunday school. He was four years justice of the peace and seven years a member of the board of education. His father, Dexter Estes, was an enthusiastic Henry Clay whig, and his sons followed in his political footsteps, our subject being an ardent republican. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and now holds the highest position in the gift of the order in the state. Dexter Estes was born in Vermont and was one of the origianl Green Mountain boys of the revolution. He married Sally Thayer, of that state, and settled in Keene, Essex county, New York, where David Estes was born March 5, 1825. The youth of the latter was spent on a farm, assisting his father in its tillage and in pottery work. He was a great reader, and made the most of his limited opportunities for education. Later, at Albany, he attended the academy, state normal school and medical college. It was his intention to take a full medical course, but failing eyesight compelled him to abridge his studies, and he turned his attention to dentistry. At Albany he began its practice, and there continued until his removal to Lake City. He arrived here July 10, 1857, and has steadily pursued his practice. By his manly integrity and uniform kindness he has become possessed of universal respect and regard, and yet our people will not fully appreciate his noble qualities till he is gone. May 2, 1849, he married Mary Ellen Dollar, born in Albany county, as was her mother, Fanny Terwilliger, and her father, Robert Dollar, the latter of Irish parents. To Mr. and Mrs. Estes were born seven children, the following six of whom survive: Orphena O. (Mrs.Virgil Borst), Independence, Wisconsin; Ornilla J., teacher in Lake City schools; Tully C., Frank E., Robert D. and Charles H., at home. The third child, Fanny E., married Charles King, and died at Cincinnati. One of her two children dwells with Dr. Estes.
Evans, J. H., (page 973), county commissioner for district No. 4, embracing townships of Greenfield, Glasgow, and the city of Wabasha; is of Welsh descent, a native of Cambria county, Pennsylvania, and had learned the trade of compositor before coming to Wabasha, in April, 1856, at which time he was eighteen years of age. He had also acquired a knowledge of the plasterer's trade, and after coming to this city followed that and type-setting for some years, his last winter at the case being 1865. His first contracts were taken at nineteen years of age, the second year that he spent in this city. In 1857 he commenced work as a mason with his brother-in-law, N. B. Lutz, and was in partnership with him until that gentleman removed to Lake City, in 1864. Since then Mr. Evans has been actively engaged in working at his trade, contracting for the erection of buildings, either alone or in company with others, superintending his farms, attending to county business, and in such other occupations as his personal inclinations or the public business demanded. He owns a farm of three hundred acres in sections 3 and 4, township 110 and 111, and ranges 10 and 11, and an undivided half in a tract of one hundred and sixty acres, owned by the stock firm of Evans and Penny. His residence on Second street, just north of the public school building, was erected by him in 1862 and has been the home of the family for the past twenty-one years. His official services rendered the city and county have extended through the greater part of the past twenty years, since his first election as alderman in 1862. He has been mayor of the city three years of that time, alderman of his ward four years, and is now serving his seventh year as county commissioner for this district. October 29, 1860, Mr. Evans married Miss Sara Duhamel, a resident of this city since 1857. Their children are: Maggie, born June 30, 1864; Mamie, born January 12, 1866; Harry, born November 15, 1869; William, born December 18, 1871; Fannie, born March 3, 1877.
Everett, George C. (page 1034 ~ deceased), became a resident of Minnesota in 1856, remaining a year at Marion, Olmsted county. In 1857 he took a claim on section 36, then Mazeppa, now Zumbro, on which he dwelt a short time. After residing a short period near Lake City, he removed to Mazeppa. Here he entered the United States service August 15, 1862, in Co. G, 8th Minn. Inf. This regiment served some time on the western frontier, and was nearly a year at the south. Mr. Everett was discharged July 11, 1865. During his army service he purchased eighty acres of land on section 25, Zumbro, which he tilled up to the time of his death. On the 28th of February, 1874, while hauling a load of lumber from Lake City, the load was capsized in the snowdrifts, and Mr. Everett was crushed to death between the lumber and a fence. The subject of this sketch was born in Bethel, Sullivan county, New York, January 25, 1831. He was reared on a farm there, and received a common school education. September 26, 1858, he married Miss Mary Arnold. Mrs. Everett was born in Fovant, Wiltshire, England, September 24, 1836, and came with her parents, James and Mary Arnold to Minnesota in 1857. She is a member of the Wesleyan Methodist church. Her husband affiliated with the republican party, and was several years elected constable of this town. The eldest child of this family, Elizabeth L., died at sixteen years of age. The next, Mary Helen, married Alonzo Anderson, and dwells at Grafton, Dakota. The others, at home, are christened as below: George H., Annie M., Lucy F., Alice A., Sedalia C. and Laura A. Frances S. died one day from the day of her father's demise, being seven years old.