Notes from a fellow genealogist: My paternal grandmother's (Thelma Hackenberg) father (Philip Henry Happel) married Helen Haessig. I'm not sure this is the same Helen referred to in the Haessig biography. I'm not sure if her middle initial was E. She lived in Mendon, Michigan with Philip and was his 2nd wife. Philip's first wife (Bessie Laird) died when my grandmother was very young. Helen passed away in her late 80's or early 90's at a nursing home in Centreville, Michigan. I have such fond memories of her. I have no other information on her other than she married Philip Happel in 1939. If you have information on Helen, please contact me. Sharry (Hackenberg) Smith
Hahn, Hon. William John, (page 1311), Minneapolis, Minnesota, was born November 5, 1841, in Mifflin county, Pennsylvania. His great grandfather emigrated from Germany many years prior to the revolution and settled in Berks county, Pennsylvania, where his grandfather was born. The latter entered the continental army as a private at the age of eighteen and rose to the rank of captain, and served through the war. After the war he moved to Chester county, Pennsylvania, where the father of this sketch was born. His name was Joseph. When he (Joseph) was quite young his father moved to Mifflin county, where he lived until his death, and where his son Joseph lived for sixty years, or until his removal to Minnesota in 1864. His mother's name was Lavinia Hutchinson Mitchell, who was of Scotch-Irish descent. His early youth was spent on his father's farm and at school. In April, 1862, he came to Lake City, Minnesota on a visit to his sister, Mrs. Sterrett. Here he spent the summer, and the Indian outbreak occurring while here, he spent two months with the expedition against them, returning to Pennsylvania in November of that year, where he remained until August, 1863, when he permanently located at Lake City. He remained there until January, 1882, when he removed to Minneapolis, He had charge of Lake City schools for some time, and was also bookkeeper. He read law about one year prior to coming to Minnesota, and also read a year in office of Ottman & Scott, at Lake City, and completed his law studies in the office of P. Pemberton Morris, at Philadelphia, where he attended law school. Returning to Lake City in the spring of 1867, he was admitted to the bar at the May term of that year, and immediately formed a partnership with W. W. Scott, Esq., with whom he was connected in business until May, 1874, when Mr. Scott left for Kansas. He practiced law at Lake City until his removal to Minneapolis. He was elected county attorney in 1872; re-elected in 1874 and in 1876, and was nominated again in 1878, but declined the nomination. He was appointed attorney-general, March 11, 1881, by Gov. Pillsbury, to succeed Attorney General Start, who resigned to accept the judgeship of the third district, and was elected to the same office in 1881, and again in 1883. A prominent Minnesota judge, in 1879, in speaking of him as a lawyer, said: "Mr. Hahn deservedly occupies a high rank as a lawyer. He is not only well 'read up' in the law, but his mind is naturally unusually clear and discriminating, thus enabling him always clearly and accurately to detect the material and pivotal questions involved in every case in which he is engaged. In the practice of his profession he is always controlled by the highest sense of honor, disdaining to resort to tricks or quibbles, never taking any position before either court or jury which he does not believe to be correct. Consequently he is always listened to with interest by both. Although modest and unassuming, he always advocated his position with that earnestness which always comes from a clear conception of an idea and an honest conviction of its correctness." Shortly after his appointment as attorney-general the celebrated Bond case (the most important case ever heard in this state) came on to be heard, and the charge of the same for the state was committed to the new attorney-general. St. Paul "Dispatch" of August 2, 1881, says of him:
"Shortly after the close of the "Dispatch" report of last evening the attorney-general closed his argument, and the court adjourned over to nine o'clock this morning. During the attorney-general's remarks he was listened to with the strictest attention, and it was plain to be seen that he has made both a strong and a very favorable impression upon his auditors. In fact, one of the oldest attorneys at the Ramsey county bar, one who himself delights, if not revels, in abstruse points and tangled legal webs, remarked to a "Dispatch" representative that the attorney-general had made a brilliant argument, and one which would give him a high reputation among lawyers throughout the state as abounding in legal acumen and displaying deep research and a very high order of logical reasoning.
Mr. Hahn served in the army three months in Pennsylvania. He belongs to Lake City Commandery of Knights Templar, Hope Chapter of Royal Arch Masons, and Carnelian Lodge, A.F.A.M., of Lake City, and was Grand High Priest of Minnesota. He has always been a republican in politics. He married Emily Laurette Martin, of Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, September 16, 1868. She was the daughter of James M. Martin, Esq., and a sister of J. M. Martin, of Lake City. He has four children: Emily Alexander, Roland Bruce, Lavinia Mitchell and Clara Josephine.
War of 1812
Haines, Joshua B., (page 1331), retired farmer, Wabasha, was an early resident of the town of Watopa. His grandfather, Jacob Haines, was a native of England and son of a British militia ensign, commissioned by George III. His father, James, was born in New Hampshire, married Hannah Lord, native of Maine, and settled on a farm near North Wolfboro', Strafford (now Carroll) county, New Hampshire. Here the subject of this paragraph was born - October 29, 1825, - and reared, receiving a common school education. On reaching his majority he found employment in a cotton factory, where he remained five years. He then spent seven years in locomotive shops at Portland. On the 1st of May, 1848, he was wedded to Miss Martha J. Roberts, who was born in Berwich, Maine, in 1832. John Roberts and Julia A. Cook, the parents of Mrs. Haines, were born in Maine, of Welsh descent. The former served in the United States army in the war of 1812, as did his father and brother. The two last named were poisoned at Sackett's Harbor after the battle. Mr. Haines' maternal grandfather, Nathaniel Lord, was a Baptist preacher and a participant in the Indian wars of his time. On the 9th of April, 1858, Mr. Haines landed with his family at Winona, having come up on the first trip of the steamer "Galena." Next spring he secured a claim on Indian creek - lying on sections 8 and 21, Watopa - paying two hundred dollars therefore, and at once removed thither. Here he dwelt until 1876, when he went to Wabasha. Here he built a home on the corner of Sixth and Campbell streets in 1883. For fifteen years he engaged in the sale of machinery on the road, and disposed of his farm before moving here. Many hardships were endured by this family in the early days. A description of one of the dinners is elsewhere given in this work. In the fall of 1859 a severe cold-spell came on before the log cabin had been chinked. Mrs. Haines was confined to her bed by illness, and her husband proceeded to close the cracks between the logs about the couch with mud, which he succeeded in doing after dumping large quantities of earth on the coverlet. During the night the cattle became uneasy and proceeded to knock down the door on the kitchen and make themselves at home till morning. Despite these discomfitures, doubly severe to the New Englander, Mr. And Mrs. Haines enjoyed life as they never have since, and their accounts of western life are still discredited by their daintily-reared eastern relatives. Mrs. H. is a member of the Wabasha Congregational Church, which most nearly represents the faith of her husband. The latter adheres to the political principles of the republican party, and was one of a band of thirteen free-soilers who held a deadlock for several hours at an election in his town. He was two years justice of the peace in Watopa, and town clerk twelve years, from 1860 to 1871, inclusive. The children of this family reside as follows: Martha Rettenah, with parents; Edwin J., Cleveland, Ohio; John Frank, injured by epileptic fits, in asylum at Rochester; Hattie J., (Mrs. George Pierce), Minneapolis; Charles Joshua, Pierre, Dakota, where he is still publishing the pioneer newspaper, for which he took the material from here in a a boat, via the Mississippi and Missouri rivers; George William, at home. The eldest son is traveling for a wholesale drug house, on a salary of $2200 per year.
Notes from a fellow genealogist: Both volumes contain an error in reference to Joshua Brackett Haines. He was a direct descendant in the male line from Deacon Samuel Haines of Greenland, New Hampshire. His grandfather was not born in England but in Greenland, NH. Contact Contributor
Hall, Chester, (page 1192 ~ deceased), was a native of Massachusetts, born October 16, 1818. His parents were Benjamin and Polly Hall. His earliest years were spent with his parents on a farm in St. Lawrence county, New York, and at twelve years of age he entered a foundry, and became master of the moulders' trade. Subsequent to this, at various periods of his life, he followed blacksmithing, gunsmithing and cabinetmaking. When thirty-two years old he married Louisa Chase, of Jefferson county, New York. After two years' residence in Wisconsin, he came in 1864 to Dodge county, this state, and took up farming. In May, 1874, he became a resident of Zumbro township, and was some time employed at blacksmithing at South Troy. When his health gave out he took up his residence with his younger son, at whose residence he died November 25, 1883. Mr. Hall was a Close Communion Baptist, and a republican, as are his sons. His wife passed away June 22, 1875, aged forty years. Their youngest child, Ida P., married Henry L. Weaver, and resides at Minneapolis. The eldest, Jerome, was born August 5, 1853, and was mostly reared in Minnesota. July 6, 1875, he married Miss Iona Howard, and since 1877 has resided on section 15, where he has eighty acres of land. His children were born as follows: Etta L., June 30, 1876; Hattie M., April 13, 1878; Charles A., December 3, 1881. Benjamin Austin, second son of Chester, was born February 14, 1857, and resides on section 22, where he has forty acres. He married Mattie Scrubey in January 1878. Their children were given them as below: Chester F., November 4, 1878; Nina E., Christmas, 1881; Frances I., January 2, 1883.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hall, Hon. George R. (page 1050), On June 29, 1836, the hearts of Samuel and Betsey (Wyman) Hall, farmers of Stansted county, Canada East, were made happy by the birth of their second child, the subject of this sketch. The family continued to reside in Canada until George had reached his fifteenth year, when they came to eastern Wisconsin and found a home in Racine county. Six years later, and four years after the death of the father, the family came to Wabasha county. Mr. Hall, in the spring of 1858, located a pre-emption claim on section 4 in Plainview township, on Greenwood prairie. For eight years he followed the life of a pioneer farmer on this place. Soon after disposing of this farm, he bought another of one hundred and forty acres on the same section. This place he sold in 1873, and the same year purchased eighty acres on section 37, in the adjoining township of Highland. This farm he enlarged by the purchase of one hundred and sixty acres adjacent thereto, and in the spring of 1883 sold to Mr. Burgess. Mr. Hall bought a house and lot in the village of Plainview, and moved to town in the spring of 1880. He is agent for the Laird-Norton Lumber Co., of Winona, which has a branch business in Plainview. Mr. Hall enlisted in the 1st bat. Minn. Light Art., December 31, 1863. Owing to ill health, saw but little active service, and was discharged on May 25, 1865. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, a Royal Arch Mason, and a member of the board of supervisors. In the winter of 1877 he represented the Plainview district in the state legislature. His politics are republican. Electa A. Austin, of Racine county, Wisconsin, became his wife October 17, 1858. They have four children: Ida L. (wife of the Rev. F. B. Cowgill, a Methodist Episcopal clergyman and member of the Minnesota conference), Ella Mary (a teacher in Winona county), Inez M. and Nellie Gertrude, living at home.
Hall, Hugh, (page 1142), brother of Samuel, was born in Ireland, in 1828. At the age of twenty-four he was married, and his prospects for a happy and prosperous life were flattering. In a few months, however, he was called to mourn the loss of his beloved wife. He removed to this country, and after residing in New York for several years, he came to Wabasha county, and in 1865 settled in this township. He married a second wife, whom he has also survived. Mr. Hall has a family of three sons. Mr. Hall is a member of a Presbyterian church, and is an honest, hospitable man.
Hall, Robert (page 996 ~ deceased) was born in Dows, Lincolnshire, England, April 1, 1801. His wife, Charlotte, was born Spencer in 1804, in Ednum Parish, same county. They were married October 2, 1826. In 1851 they left England and settled on a farm in Onondaga county, New York. Came to Zumbro in May, 1856, and took claim on section 12, where his widow and son now reside. Mr. Hall died August 2, 1856. He and wife were Episcopalians. Mrs. Hall is very active at this writing, and appears good for twenty years of life yet. Of their twelve children only two are living now. The first death in the town occurred in this family, taking Sophia, a twenty-year-old daughter. Emma J. married J. L. Bent (now deceased) and resides at Zumbro Falls. George, the eldest living child, was born in Dows, October 22, 1833. He was nearly eighteen when he came to America, and attended one term of school in New York. He came to Minnesota with his parents. He was married February 1, 1862, to Cordelia Drinkwalter, whose parentage elsewhere appears. They have seven children living, born as follows: Maria C., April 15, 1864; Henrietta, October 22, 1866; Effie S., May 12, 1868; Frederick P., September 16, 1870; Wallace R., November 11, 1874; Prosper R. January 4, 1880; Jessie, May 23, 1883. Four children have died.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hall, Samuel (page 1103) was born in Ireland in 1826. At an early age he came to this country and settled in New York, where he resided several years. In 1861 he removed with his family to Hyde Park township, where he has since resided. As the country was new, and since there were no means of transportation west from Read's Landing, Mr. And Mrs. Hall were obliged to walk from that place and carry the necessities for such a journey. By industry and thoughtful management they overcame the hardships of early times and are now living in ease and plenty. To them have been born nine children, eight of whom are still living.
The following information was supplied by a descendent of Samuel Hall: Samuel enlisted in the 1st Minnesota Heavy Artillery, Company K, on March 6, 1865 (at age 36). He injured his middle finger, right hand about June 10, 1865, and was discharged on September 27, 1865. He applied for a pension, and was paid $12.00 per month at the time of his death in 1901. His Pension Number is 658,816. Samuel's son-in-law, David Huddleston (married his oldest daughter, Jane) signed an affidavit in support of his pension claim. David Huddleston also served in the 2nd Minnesota Cavalry (his 3 other brothers also served). See also Genealogy, Page One and Genealogy, Page Two.
Hall, Peter, (page 1215) merchant, was born in Jutland, Denmark, July 25, 1845. He was the second of six children born to Loren and Anna M. Hall. His youth was passed on his father's farm, receiving a good common school education, and attending two years the Aarhnus Latin School of Aarhnus. In 1867 he left his native land and came to Milwaukee. A year later he went to LaCrosse, and shortly after bought a farm in Otter Tail county, Minnesota. The next six years he spent traveling about the western country, and in 1877 he located at Theilmanton, erecting the business room referred to elsewhere, and has since been doing a prosperous and promising business in general merchandise. He was the first to locate at Theilmanton, and has a good stock, valued at about four thousand dollars. He was appointed postmaster in 1878, which position he now holds. In 1869 his parents followed him to this country, and have since been living in Otter Tail county, this state. July 30, 1876, he married Matilda N. Harncane, a native of Pennsylvania. To this union have been born three children, James M., Ann Eliza (deceased) and Ann Eliza. Is a republican. He was elected justice of the peace in 1879, holding the office till the spring of 1883. He belongs to Kellogg Lodge, No. 122, F.A.M.
Hall, George W., (page 1283 ~ deceased) became a resident of Wabasha in 1857, engaging in the sale of furniture. He was born in Perry county, Pennsylvania, December 6, 1824. His parents, Moses and Catharine Hall, were natives of the same state. He was reared on a farm, and engaged in the grocery trade in Muscatine, Iowa, in 1854. Sarah Butturff, daughter of Frederick and Elizabeth Butturff, of Pennsylvania, was born in Cumberland county, same state, February 28, 1825. The latter was united in marriage with Mr. Hall February 6, 1849, and still survives him. After three years of trade in Iowa our subject came to Wabasha, and opened a furniture store in partnership with Mrs. Hall's brother, Samuel Butturff. In 1860 he took up a homestead in Glasgow township, on which he dwelt three years. Being in delicate health, he sold out and returned to Wabasha. Here he was some time a clerk in Weatherbee's store. For some years after this he kept a meat-market. He built one house in South Wabasha when he first came here. He afterward bought and improved others. At his death, May 7, 1870, he was possessed of two adjoining residences on Alleghaney street, now owned by his widow. Mr. Hall was a member of the Masonic brotherhood. Having little education himself, he appreciated the value of schools, and was active in fostering them. He was a contributor to the support of all churches, but the Episcopal was his favorite. He was a firm adherent of the democratic party in politics. The third child and only daughter, Anna, married John A. Canfield, of Kellogg, and is now deceased. The sons, in order of birth, are: Henry W., Greenfield; William Parker and George W., Prairie View, Kansas.
Hallaway, Henry, (page 1189) Mazeppa, is a son of John and Ruth Hallaway, who now reside in Pine Island township, three miles from Mazeppa. All these people were born in the parish of Ticehurst, Sussex, England, this subject, March 1, 1846. He attended the common schools of his native land till fifteen years old, when his parents removed to the United States, arriving in Pine Island in July 1861. He assisted his father in farming operations several years. In 1873 he was united in marriage to Miss Jane Austin, a native of New York. He is at present in possession of a quarter section of land near the village, in Pine Island, which he tills. In the spring of 1874 he built a residence at the head of Chestnut street, in this village, and has dwelt here since June of that year. He is a member of the Masonic order, being treasurer of Tyrian Lodge here. He is an Episcopalian and a republican.
War of 1812
Hammons, Joseph, (page 1019) retired farmer, Zumbro, located in this township in the fall of 1856, making claim to one-fourth of section 33. Here he took great pains in trying to raise fruit, but with little success. He has disposed of his original claim, but now has one hundred and twenty acres in the river valley, including all that part of the village of Hammond south of the river, which was platted by Mr. Hammons. For twelve years he kept a grocery here, during six months of which time he was compelled to use crutches on account of sciatic rheumatism. He has given some attention to medicine, and never employed a physician. He makes a cough remedy which is sought from far and near on account of its admirable power. Mr. Hammons was born in Osby, New Hampshire, March 28, 1816. The name is probably of French origin. Moses, father of this subject, was born in Maine, and served as a captain in the war of 1812. He married Dorothy Longee, of the same state. When Joseph was but four years old his parents returned to Maine, and his early life was passed in farming and lumbering, earning his own livelihood from a very early age. At nineteen he paid his father two hundred dollars for his time, and went to New York and found employment in a flour mill. After this time he got some education by private study and in night-schools. At the age of thirty he married Sabra Ridlon, who was born in Saco, Maine, April 15, 1826. Her parents were Nathanial and Mercy (Smith) Ridlon, born in the same state. But one child was given to this union, a daughter, born January 29, 1849, and christened Victoria. March 19, 1870, she married Eugene Adams, and resides in this township. Mr. Hammons served twelve years as justice of the peace of this township. His political tenets are represented by the old whig party and its successor, the republican. His religious views are most nearly represented by the Universalists.
Hample Ferdinand, (page 1339 ~ not listed in the index) son of the last subject (Joseph Hample), was born in the city of Vienna, Austria, September 17, 1843. He received an English education in Ohio and this State, and is one of the most intelligent citizens of Elgin township. During the first three years of his residence here he worked out among neighboring farmers, and has ever since remained at home. At his father's death he inherited the homestead, embracing 275 acres of fine prairie soil, and practices mixed farming. July 4, 1867, he married Augusta Windorf, who was born in Prussia, near the City of Culberg, October 6, 1850. Six children now surround the family hearth, named in order of birth: Joseph Henry, Clara Maria, Edwin Edward, Bertha Matilda, Paulina Lydia, and Adela Leonora. Mr. Hample has served four years on the Town Board of Supervisors, being one year Chairman of that body. He is an active supporter of schools, and has served as Director of his district. The first two and one-half years of his residence in Elgin were passed in a log-hut, which was succeeded by a log-house. The present dwelling, a large and handsome frame structure, surrounded by convenient barns and other out-buildings.
Hample, Joseph, (page 1339 ~ deceased ~ not listed in the index), settled on section 6, Elgin, in the spring of 1857, and died there February 12, 1884. He was born near Prague, Austria, September 11, 1811. He married Maria Prince, also a native of Austria. While in his native land, his chief occupation was the manufacture of woodwork for clocks and accordions. He set out for America in 1850, and settled in Ohio, engaging in farming. Thence he removed to Winona in the fall of 1856, and spent the following winter in teaming. He was a faithful member of the Lutheran Church, in which all his family was raised. Of eight children born to him, but two reached maturity. The elder is sketched below (Ferdinand Hample). The other, Christina, is now the wife of Henry Schenkel, dwelling at Groton, Dakota. In the early days of its residence here this family endured the hardships which fall to the lot of most pioneers. For nearly two years wheat bread was a luxury unknown in the household, as no wheat was produced the first year. Corn and buckwheat furnished the staple breadstuff, and all were healthy and contented.
Hancock, George Freeman, (page 1309), farmer, is the eldest child of Freeman and Louise Hancock, who were born in Massachusetts. George was born in 1818, in Berkshire county, of the same state. When our subject was four years old, his parents moved to Oswego county, New York. Here he attended the district school, and worked upon the farm. In 1840 he married Alvira Shattuck, at Granby, New York, and began farming for himself. For several winters he worked in the woods getting out lumber for dealers along the Oswego river. In 1858, after disposing of his property, he emigrated to this county, where he pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres of land, upon which he now lives. Mr. Hancock has been justice of the peace, and assessor for about ten years. At present he is clerk of school district No. 90. The republican party represents his politics. The names of his children are: Elizabeth Adel (deceased), Sarah, now Mrs. John Morris, living in West Albany township, and Friend J.
Hardy, William L., (page 1163), blacksmith, Plainview, was born in Hamilton county, Ohio. He was the son of a saddletree maker by the name of Henry Hardy, who married Libby Lemmon, the daughter of a Baptist clergyman, of Hamilton county. While William was yet a child his parents removed to Dublin, Wayne county, Indiana. Here the death of his mother occurred when he was about twelve years old, and he was bound out to a farmer by the name of Isaac Smith, a Hicksite quaker, with whom he found a home for six years. By consent of Mr. Smith he left the employ of the latter at the age of eighteen, and went to work with his brother, at the saddletree trade, in Dublin. He afterward learned blacksmithing in the shop of E. Lemmon, Esq., of Dublin, and continued to wield the sledge in various Indiana towns for a number of years, during which time he met at Pendleton, and married Miss Sarah E. Huston, the daughter of a Pendleton mechanic by the name of John Huston, February 15, 1855. This lady was born on the French Grant, Ohio, near Portsmouth, on August 7, 1838. Mr. Hardy shouldered a musket in the 63rd Ind., in 1862. He was afterward detailed a blacksmith, and served Uncle Sam, as well as ill- health would permit him, until the war closed. In 1867 he came to Plainview and resumed his old trade in the blacksmith-shop of D. R. Sweezy, afterward with Mr. Pomoroy, then formed a copartnership with Mr. Sweezy, and finally with Samuel Purvis. The firm have a fine shop on Washington street, Plainview, and both gentlemen occupy comfortable homes, which they own in the same block. Mr. Hardy has two children, namely, Edward O., married, and residing in Plainview, a fireman on the Northwestern railroad, and Charles L., jeweler, of Granite Falls, Minnesota.
Harrison, James M., (page 997), farmer, Mazeppa, is a son of Elias S. and Maria (Gardner) Harrison, of Pennsylvania, and was born in Schoolcraft, Michigan, April 2, 1848. The father (now deceased) settled with his family at Center Point, near Lake City, in July, 1852. He erected the first hotel building there, where he died in July, 1863. The subject of this sketch attended the common school there till the death of his father. He then came to Mazeppa, and attended one term here. Farming has always been his vocation. July 27, 1867, he married Phoebe Ann Youngs, daughter of John Youngs, elsewhere mentioned. Mr. Harrison is tilling rented land. He is a member of Mazeppa Lodge, I.O.O.F., and is a republican.
Notes from a fellow genealogist: James M Harrison's grandfather (Bazel) was the first white settler of Kalamazoo Michigan. Bazel was also the nephew of Benjamin Harrison (Signer of the Declaration of Independence) and first cousin to William H Harrison (9th President). James M was Third Cousin to Benjamin Harrison (23rd President). For more information, see: The Gerald Lee MAROSE Family Puzzle
Hart, Michael, (page 1170), farmer, Chester, was born in Gravenmacher, Luxemburg, June 22, 1839. When sixteen years old, his leg was broken by a wagon, and he has always been lame since. From nineteen to twenty-seven he was employed in operating a stationary engine. (His brother, Marcus, six years his elder, came to Erie county, New York, in 1856. Returning to Europe in the fall of 1865, he was married on January 1, 1866, to Elizabeth Olding, born in the same village. When he returned to New York he was accompanied by the subject of this sketch. In 1869 he came to Chester and bought one hundred and twenty acres of land on sections 19 and 20, where he died March 16, 1872. He left two children, John M., born 1867, and Matthias J., 1869, now with their mother.) After spending some years in farm labor in New York, Michael Hart stayed four years at Pewaukee, Wisconsin, where run an engine most of the time. He came to Chester in 1870, and assisted his brother in the operation of the farm, in which he owned an interest. In 1873 he married his brother's widow, and they have just added eighty acres to the farm by purchase. When Mr. Hart arrived in America he was thirty dollars in debt, and has secured a competence by industry and frugality. He has two children, Annie, born 1875, and William, 1877. All the family are members of Belle Chester church.
War of 1812
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hassinger, James C., (page 1133), merchant, Lake City, is a grandson of Jacob Hassinger, who served in the United States army during the war of 1812. The latter was a native of Germany. W. H. and Catharine Hassinger, parents of James C., were natives of Pennsylvania, and the latter was born to them in Mifflin county in March, 1841. His education was completed at a high school in Kishquiquillis Valley and the academy at Locke's Mills. On August 16, 1861, he entered the Union army, enlisting in the 49th Penn. regt., which served in the army of the Potomac. Mr. Hassinger was an actor in many serious engagements, among the most important of which may be mentioned those of Second Bull Run, Yorktown, the seven days before Richmond, Antietam, Gettysburg, battles of the Wilderness and Winchester. In the seven days' fight in front of Richmond he was made prisoner, and lay in confinement at Libby prison and Belle Isle four months. He was then exchanged and resumed active service. In October, 1864, he was honorably discharged, having served a term of three years and earned a retirement from the hardships of war. In the spring of 1865 he came to Minnesota and rented and tilled a farm near Lake City for a year. He then entered the store of Patton & Sons, whom he served eight years as clerk. In 1874 he went into the grocer trade, and continued till May 1, 1883. On January 1, 1884, he became a partner with Stout & Dwelle, dealers in clothing, and the firm is now Stout, Dwelle & Hassinger. This house has an advantageous location on the corner of Center and Washington streets, and is doing a fine business. Mr. Hassinger was married October, 1867, to Mary E. Wills, daughter of W. R. Wills, of Pennsylvania. Mrs. Hassinger was born in Ohio. Of five children given to this couple but two are living, namely, Atillia and Florence, aged fourteen and two years, respectively. Mr. Hassinger is one of the present city councillors, and a director of the First National Bank. He is a member of the Knights Templar, and attended the grand conclave in San Francisco in the summer of 1883 as a delegate. In politics he is a republican, and is a communicant in the Presbyterian church. He is prompt in action, and enjoys the respect due to men of cordial and sterling character.
Hazlett, Rev. Silas, (page 1070), Lake City has an early religious history, the minister having preceded the city surveyor. Rev. Silas Hazlett, from Oxford, Ohio, an ordained clergyman of the Presbyterian church, having landed on the ground from the steamer Galena, on its way to St. Paul, on April 18, 1856, remained over Sabbath, which was on the 20th, and preached to a congregation of some twelve persons, taking in about the entire population of the place at that time. The subject of the sermon was, "Christ offers salvation to all men on the ground of appropriating faith," John v, 40. Rev. Silas Hazlett was born in Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, on May 12, 1824. He was the son of William and Ann Hazlett, who had eleven children. He was of Irish descent on the father's and Scotch on the mother's side, the grandparents on both sides emigrating, the one from the north of Ireland, the other, or the Wilsons, from Scotland. Both families settled in the Kishacoquiblaz valley, near the Juniata river, in Mifflin county, then a dense forest, where they devoted their lives to farming. The parents on the mother's side had educated two of their sons for the work of the gospel ministry, one of whom is still living here, Samuel Wilson, D.D., and it was the desire of the mother of S. Hazlett to continue the line of the covenant in her own branch of the family, and so gave two of her sons to the same work. John, the eldest of four sons, and Silas, the youngest, were sent to Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, and the Presbyterian Theological Seminary at Pittsburgh, from which institutions they were both graduated. Silas was licensed to preach by the presbytery of Oxford and synod of Cincinnati in the year 1850, in the month of October, and was joined in marriage to Eliza Jane Patton by Rev. N. L. Rice, D.D., at Cincinnati, Ohio, on January 14, 1851, she being a member of said Rice's church. Shortly after his marriage Silas was called to supply the churches of Harmony and College Corner upon the resignation of John Scot. D.D., called to the presidency of the female college at Oxford. Over these churches he continued to preside until March 1, 1856. He had one child, who was born in Cincinnati, and is now the wife of J. B. McLean, of Lake City, son of Gen. McLean, of Frontenac. Mrs. Hazlett was a faithful helper to her husband, engaging heartily in all the work of the church; but her health was long feeble, and on March 3, 1865, she was called from a peaceful deathbed to join the home of the redeemed. Silas Hazlett also taught the first school in Lake City, in the winter of 1856, in a frame building now standing on Main street, between Marrian and Center streets, at present occupied as a private dwelling. The school was held in the second story of the building, entered from the outside, the first floor being used as a carpenter-shop, the noise of the hammer often interfering sadly with the recitations above. This same room was also used for church service on the Sabbath during the winter of 1856, the preaching alternating between Rev. Mr. Sterry of the Congregational church and the above. The first couple joined in marriage was Gustave W. Hathaway to Miss Abbie J. Langley, November 14, 1857, by the Rev. Silas Hazlett, of Lake City. Silas Hazlett was again joined in marriage to Mrs. Sarah Jane Greer on May 4, 1869. Mrs. Greer was the widow of James Greer. Mrs. Greer had three children, Allen J., now of the law firm of Martin & Greer, of this city; Charles W., bookkeeper, of the firm of Knapp, Stout & Co., residing at and in charge of the company's books at Cedar Falls, Wisconsin; and Mollie C., at home and teacher in the public school of Lake City.
Heath, Alpheus Winslow, (page 1045 ~ deceased) was born in Clearfield county, Pennsylvania, March 26, 1824. In 1841 he married Louisa Bundy, reared in the same vicinity. Mr. Heath was always a farmer, and cleared up a farm in Pennsylvania, at the same time working a great deal at lumbering. He was very successful and left his family well provided for at his death, which occurred in September, 1869. He began life with an ax, a hoe and twenty-five cents in money; was always a hard worker and was quite gray at his death. Besides property in Pennsylvania, where his widow now resides, he left two hundred and eighty acres of land in Chester that was divided among his children. These are, Emeline (Mrs. Scott Lamont) and Arvilla, at Millville; Nahaman B., Gillford; Charles Manly and Henry C., Chester. Mr. Heath was an ardent republican and served many years in Pennsylvania as justice of the peace. He became a resident of Chester in 1858, pre-empting a quarter of section 1, where he resided permanently from 1864 till his death, which was caused by typhoid fever.
Heath, Henry Clay, (page 1046) was born in Fox township, same county as his father, (Clearfield county, Pennsylvania) April 11, 1845. His life has always been spent on a farm, and he had but meager schooling advantages. He is a member of Tyrian Masonic Lodge, at Mazeppa, and follows in his father's political footsteps. He inherited eighty acres of land from his father's estate, on section 12, where he now has a comfortable home. October 2, 1870, he married Miss Laura Lamb, who died May 29, 1881, leaving four children, whose names are this given, in order of age: Walter E., Rhoda A., Arthur W., Josephine A.
Hebbeln, George, (page 1114) farmer, was born in Germany. He is the youngest son of Hans and Ann J. Hebbeln, of Holstein, Germany. When about twenty-two years old Mr. Hebbeln came to Iowa, but soon changed to Olmsted county, Minnesota. Here he worked for five years, when he returned to Germany on a short visit. He bought horses in Iowa for a short time, and finally bought his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres of fine land, all cultivated. He has always been a democrat in politics, and one of our reliable citizens. He was married in 1871, to Mola Gaducke, of Germany. He has three children.
Heerman, Edward E., (page 1330) steamboat owner and captain, is among the pioneers and self-made men of Wabasha county. He is a son of Timothy and Amelia T. (Barter) Heerman, the former born in Maine and the latter in England. His grandfather, Timothy Heerman, was a native German, and was pressed into service on a British man-of-war, during the Revolutionary war. While the vessel was at anchor off Portland, and its officers indulging in a drunken orgy, Mr. Heerman locked the forecastle door and went ashore and notified the American authorities, who went on board and captured the whole force. When our subject was seven years old his father went to Burlington, Iowa, and here the future captain laid the foundations of a life of usefulness. When fifteen years old he chopped steamboat wood on an island in the Mississippi River to procure money to enable him to attend school. When his job was done he received a worthless order on a business man in Burlington for his pay. Knowing the youth's object, and feeling pity for him, the gentleman cashed the order, and promised young Heerman employment in the spring, if he would return to him. After spending the winter in a common school, the lad presented himself and was employed on a ferry boat. From this he went on a steamer plying on the Iowa and Mississippi rivers, and afterward secured possession of a flatboat and spent some years in the wood business at Alma, Wisconsin. His genial nature and upright integrity made him friends as he went along, and their kindness enabled him to ride some rough financial storms and triumph over misfortune. Capt. Heerman has built five steamers, all of which he named after his daughter, Minnie, and has engaged in traffic on the Chippewa and Mississippi rivers. During the winter of 1879-80 he built a steamer at Read's Landing, which he loaded at St. Paul next spring, and sailed by way of the Missouri river to Fort Benton (about four thousand miles), making a successful voyage despite the sneers of his friends. In the winter of 1882-3 he built and is now operating at Devil's Lake, Dakota, the steamer Minnie II. All the material had to be hauled a distance of seventy miles from the then railroad terminus, and the vessel cost, when completed, over thirty thousand dollars. This is used in trade between Devil's Lace City and "West End," where is a town site, in which Capt. Heerman is interested., Capt. Heerman is a member of the Knights of Honor in Wabasha, and a firm supporter of the Republican party, although he would never accept a civil office. While his religious views are not modeled after any creed, he is everywhere known as a consistent Christian gentleman. On the 10th of November, 1856, he was united in marriage to Miss Haliceia Hannon, of Hastings, who died October 20, 1866, leaving two children. Albert E., the eldest, is now in the insane hospital at Rochester. Minnie E. is with her father at Devil's Lake.
Helgerson, Andrew A., (page 1329 ~ biography says "Andrew S."), farmer, of Plainview, is the only surviving son of Andrew Helgerson, who came to Greenwood Prairie in the fall of 1854 from Iowa, to which state he emigrated from Norway in 1850. The elder Helgerson located on what is now the John Safford place, about two miles east from Plainview. The spring of 1855, in the absence of Mr. Helgerson, his family were driven from their claim by covetous Yankees, who wished to establish thereon a town site. The Helgersons, like their neighbors, the Nelsons, did not remove far, but again began the work of home building - this time on the northwest quarter of section four. They were not again molested, and have continued to occupy this claim even to the present day. The elder Helgerson died on the 17th of March, 1876, and the subject of this sketch now resides with his mother, Mrs. Christina Helgerson, on the old homestead. Andrew A. Helgerson was born in Norway on the 21st of June, 1849, and was consequently but a baby when his people came to America. He was but five years old when his father brought his family to the State of Minnesota, and here he led the life of a pioneer during his youth; his education being limited to that obtainable in the country school, of which his father was from the first a vigorous supporter. Hans Helgerson, only brother of Andrew A., died in 1881. The Helgerson homestead is situated about two miles north of Plainview. The farm buildings are substantial and pleasant, having been erected at a cost of nearly $5,000. Mr. Helgerson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a republican in politics.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Helt, William A., (page 1064 ~ deceased) was a son of Lewis and Elizabeth Helt, of German and American birth respectively. He was born in the city of Philadelphia March 30, 1832, and was reared there, receiving a good education. When eighteen years old he began an apprenticeship at fine shoemaking. For several years he kept a ladies' custom shop in Philadelphia, where he was married April 2, 1854, to Miss Jane W., daughter of Robert Clifford, elsewhere mentioned in the volume. In 1857 this couple came to Lake City, and returned to Philadelphia two years later. Here Mr. Helt joined the United States army, in 1863, in Co. G, 118th Penn. Vols. The principal engagement in which he took part of that of Antietam. He was sometime confined by illness in hospital, and himself took charge for several months of a smallpox hospital. He was discharged in September, 1865, and returned to Lake City, whither his wife had preceded him. The hardships and sickness endured in the army sowed the seeds of disease in his constitution, and from its effects he was forced to give up the ghost November 22, 1880. The only child given him, a daughter, christened Rebecka Jane, preceded him to the other shore October 19, 1876. He was able to do little after the close of the war, on account of physical disability, and but for a pension from a generous government his widow would be but illy provided for. Mrs. Helt is blessed with considerable poetic genius, and has contributed many valuable productions to the local press. Both these people were always communicants in the Methodist church of Lake City.
Hendricks, Coleman S. (page 1323 ~ deceased) was a son of Martin and Elizabeth (Arnold) Hendricks, and was born in Halifax County, Virginia, June 2, 1812. His early life was spent on a farm in Ohio, and he received a fair common school training. When twenty-one years old he joined the Free Will Baptist Church, which afforded him a congenial religious home most of his life. He was subsequently connected with Methodist and Congregational Churches, but soon returned to his original choice. In 1853 he was ordained a deacon at Village Creek, Illinois, by Rev. J. M. Shurtleff, whose daughter Clarissa he had married in 1836. In 1857 he came to Minnesota and dwelt three years in Wabasha. He them removed to Sand Prairie, and in 1869 to Cook's Valley, making a business of farming. His death occurred at Cook's Valley, April 16, 1877, caused by neuralgia and consumption; for the last six months of his illness he was unable to lie down at all, and was a patient sufferer through great pain. Mr. Hendricks was an active Sunday-school worker, and organized the first school on Sand Prairie in 1860. He was an enthusiastic temperance advocate, and a firm adherent of Republican principles. During his residence in Wabasha he served as Assessor, and was a member of the Home League organized for the protection of settlers' interests. Beside his widow, eight of his nine children survive him. The eldest, Francis M., was a member of McClellan's army, and died in hospital during the Wilderness campaign. He left one child, Edith, now resident in Wabasha. Marquis L. is sketched below. James H. served three years in the Third Minnesota regiment, and now dwells at Warren, this State. All the others reside in Wabasha, viz.: Eliza (Mrs. H. B. Whiting), Ansel A. (the stay of his widowed mother), John C., Sarah J. (wife of John Plumb), Emma, and Mary L. (Mrs. C. M. Johnson).
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hendricks, Marquis L., (page 1329) farmer, was born in Edwards County, Illinois, in 1840. Nearly all his life was passed on a farm, and part of his education was supplied by the schools of Wabasha. He was employed a short time on the river, and then engaged in farming in Greenfield Township, where he now resides. In religious faith he adheres to the teaching of his father, and has always been a firm supporter of the Republican party. In 1865 he married Miss Asenath Hilt, of Greenfield, who bore him six children. They have been christened Lillie, Charles, Gertie, Fred, Artie, and Clara. Mr. Hendricks was the sixth man who enlisted from Wabasha County in the country's service on the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion. He enlisted in April, 1861, in Co. I, First Minnesota regiment, and took part in thirty-two active engagements, beside skirmishes. The following reference to the services of this worthy patriot is taken from the Wabasha Herald of May, 1864: "Return Of A Veteran Marquis L. Hendricks, one of the original First Minnesota Volunteers, returned to his home in the town of Greenfield, this county, last Friday. We had the honor of crossing palms with this veteran of thirty- two engagements. He is a young man of unassuming manners and gentlemanly in his deportment. The stuff that patriots are made of is embodied largely in his composition. He served in the First Minnesota until November, 1862, at which time he was transferred to the First United States Regular Cavalry, in which regiment he fought in some fifteen successive engagements. On account of the daring valor he had displayed on former occasions, he was designated as a dispatch bearer at the battle of Fredericksburg. In which engagement he had two horses shot under him and received a wound in the arm a buckshot having passed through the fleshy part of his arm midway between the elbow and writs. In this same engagement a fragment of shell, weighing about half an ounce, struck him in the neck, yet he did not give up the field until nightfall put an end to the bloody strife. He was mustered out of the service a few days since at Culpepper, Virginia, with the few other survivors of the original gallant and glorious First having served three years with honor and credit to his country. It has been truly said, that it is more of an honor to boast of having belonged to the Minnesota First, than to command the finest regiment that was ever sent to the field from the Empire of Keystone States.
Henry, James, (page 1030) Zumbro, was the first male white child born in the town of Kinsman, Trumbull county, Ohio, the event occurring July 23, 1803. The marriage of his parents was the first event of that kind in the town. Their names were Robert Henry and Betsey Tidd, the former a native of Virginia, son of James Henry, from Ireland. Betsey Tidd escaped when a little child from the Wyoming massacre, with her father, Martin. Mr. Henry was married on Christmas day, 1828, the bride being Cynthia C. Knox, born in Ridgefield, Connecticut. They became residents of Zumbro in 1857, their sons having preceded them one year, and were six weeks on the road with a team. Mr. and Mrs. Henry are members of the Wesleyan Methodist church at South Troy. The former has always been a democrat. Their eldest son, James A., is at Elkton, Dakota; Stephen M., is at Ashtabula, Ohio. Hannah E. is the wife of Jacob M. Dale, elsewhere mentioned.
Herman, C. E., (page 1211) meat market, also dealer in live stock, hides, pelts, tallow and lard; market stand and office on south side Main street, four doors east of Alleghaney street. Mr. Herman established himself in business in this city in 1876, on the opposite side of Main street, purchased the property he now occupies in 1878, and removed to the present location upon the completion of his shop in 1882. His property fronts two hundred and ten feet on Main and extends to the alley in the rear, a depth of one hundred and forty-five feet. On the west twenty feet of this property his shop is built, a substantial two-story brick, 20x60 feet, with stone basement, sills and caps; the basement floor of brick and cement. The basement is used for cutting, salting meats, and winter packing, being specially arranged for that purpose. The main floor is used for market-room, office and cold-room, this latter by a special device of the proprietor's, being virtually a summer packing-room, well ventilated, with a uniformly low temperature, in which meats will keep perfectly fresh for a month. The floor of the market-room is laid upon double-braced joists throughout, and is practically able to stand any weight that may be put upon it. The curing-house, in the rear, has a capacity of about two hundred hams; the cold-room accommodates about twenty carcasses, and the ice-loft overhead holds about twenty tons; the ice-house (lot 2, block 14) has a storage capacity of from two hundred and fifty to three hundred tons, the supplying of this commodity being also a part of Mr. Herman's regular business. The stables and sheds are in the rear of the market, the slaughter- house and yards in Pepin township, three miles from city, and the business keeps from two to three men and three horses constantly employed. They slaughter about five head of neat cattle, and from three to ten head each of sheep, calves and hogs per week. The upper story of the shop is the dwelling of the proprietor. Ceilings downstairs are thirteen feet, overhead eleven feet. C. E. Herman was born in Dresden, Saxony, learned his trade in his native city, came to America in 1870, locating for a time in St. Louis, then, after traveling quite generally over the United States, came to Minnesota in 1874, and settled in this city in 1876. He was married April 6, 1876, in Chatfield, Minnesota, to Miss Mary Shaab. They have two children: Theodore, born January 31, 1880; Mina, born November 14, 1882.
Hibner, George, (page 1118) was born in Cattaraugus county, New York, September 18, 1825. His parents were David and Susanna (Parker) Hibner-his father a native of the city of New York, and his mother of Massachusetts. His youth was spent on a farm, until twenty years old, remaining at home. He worked on a farm in Allegany county for two years. Here he married Polly Pierce, who was born in Onondaga county, New York, September 14, 1824-this occurred July 18, 1847. After his marriage he worked on a farm for six years in Allegany county, In 1853 removed to Wyocena, Columbia county, Wisconsin, and rented a farm on which he remained until the fall of 1859, when he came to Olmsted county, Minnesota. The next year removed to Plainview, and tarried another year, when he came to reside on the farm where he now lives, one hundred and sixty acres on section 22, in Highland, which he located while still a resident of Wisconsin. He has one hundred and ten acres of land under cultivation, and lives in a fine farmhouse. Has also added eighty acres to his original quarter-section. He has but one child living: Electa A. (Mrs. Wm. Safford), of Highland. A son, Ivan Arthur, died November 18, 1876, leaving one daughter, Ida May, 8 years old, residing with her mother, Mrs. Effie (Freer) of Plainview.
Notes from fellow genealogist: My gg and ggrandfathers were John Hibner Sr. and John Hibner Jr. I was wondering if there is a Hibner connection here. My gggrandfather was born in Peekskill, New York around 1768. We do not know for sure what his first name was, but we think either Michael or John. He married Sarah Jones, daughter of Philip Jones of New York. I would appreciate any information on the George Hibner Family above. Thank you, Janice
Hinckley, Charles E., (page 1205) furniture dealer, Lake City, is a direct descendant, through his maternal grandmother, of Gov. Bradford, famous in early New England history. He was born June 1, 1850, in the town of West Point, Stephenson county, Illinois, to Ira Bradford and Martha Elizabeth Hinckley, natives of Vermont and New York. His father went to Illinois a young man and was married there. He secured land, taught school for some time, and finally settled at Lena. Here the subject of this sketch was reared and educated in the village schools. After managing his father's farm for three years he took a commercial course of one year at Madison, Wisconsin. In October, 1875, he became a resident of Lake City and engaged in the furniture trade with Samuel Butturff, now in Marshall county. Two years later he went into his present partnership with Andrew Koch, under firm name of Lake City Furniture Company. In the great fire of April, 1882, they suffered a loss of four thousand dollars on their stock. They then built the store which they occupy, on the south side of Washington street. Two stories are occupied and a large stock is carried. The monthly sales are about one thousand dollars. January 4, 1883, Mr. Hinckley was united in marriage with Miss Susan J., daughter of E. R. and C. M. Kinney, of Vermont and New York. Mrs. Hinckley is a native of Minnesota, having been born in the town of Lake, where her parents still reside. Mr. Hinckley is a member of the I.O.O.F., and has been connected with the Baptist church since sixteen years of age. He is a republican and an outspoken temperance advocate.
Hirschy, Samuel, (page 1059) agriculturist and dealer in real estate, and senior member of the firm of Hirschy & Son (the description of which can be found on Chapter 35, page 1058, of the 1884 book), is a native of Canton Vaud, Switzerland. After leaving school, in his seventeenth year, he was bred a tanner, served a term in the army, and at twenty-four years of age came to America and settled in Dayton, Ohio, in 1852. Worked at his trade in that city five years, during which time he married Miss Margaret Felker, and then in 1857 removed to Wabasha. Here he invested his means in a tract of timbered land, oak, intending to engage in tanning business. The oak-bark was found utterly useless for that purpose, and for some years he was engaged in cutting and hauling wood, and such other work as he could find profitable. In 1863 he commenced moving buildings, and finding that business profitable, followed it until 1874, when, his health broken by hard labor, he returned to Europe, and spent five months traveling over the continent and the British islands. In 1870 he bought the property on which he now resides, a tract of seventy acres in the southeast quarter of the city, which he is rapidly converting into a fruit farm. June 7, 1882, his dwelling was destroyed by fire, and he has since erected the comfortable home the family now occupy. A substantial frame, two stories in height, solid stone foundations, full basement, 28x36 feet, with an addition 16x24 feet, one story high. Mr. Hirschy has devoted some attention to the raising of blooded Jersey cattle, of which he has twelve head thoroughbred, besides some other grades. He is also quite a successful bee-culturist; has thirty-eight stands in a flourishing condition, and is now building a winter storeroom of stone capable of holding one hundred hives. His grapes, of which he has about fifteen hundred vines in bearing, are in good thrifty condition, as are also his fruit-trees and strawberry-vines. His eldest son, Louis, born in Ohio, is now farming in the southwestern portion of the state. C. C., as before mentioned, was born in this city, and the remaining child, a daughter-now at home-Clara, was born on the home place December 17, 1870.
S. Hirschy & Son, C. C., general merchants, Hirschy's Block corner Main and Pembroke streets. The business of the firm is managed by C. C. Hirschy, the "Son" of the firm. C. C. Hirschy was born in this city March 20, 1859; was educated here and in St. Paul, finishing his course in the business college in that city in 1880. He then entered the engineer department of the St. Paul & Manitoba railway, and was there until the fall of 1882, when he returned to this city and assumed charge of the business he is now so successfully managing. This business, established April 1, 1882, occupies the corner storeroom of the block, which was erected by S. Hirschy in 1874. The block fronts fifty feet on Main street and one hundred and ten feet on Pembroke. It is a substantial two-story and basement brick and stone structure, the side walls of the first seventy feet along Pembroke street rising forty-six feet above the water-table. The second story of this portion of the block is finished and furnished as a public hall. This hall is 50x70 feet, and has a seating capacity of five hundred, the ceilings being twenty-one feet between joists. The storeroom occupied by Hirschy & Son fronts twenty-five feet on Main street, seventy feet on Pembroke, with entrances on both. They carry a full stock of general merchandise, employ five clerks, and keep one wagon for the delivery of goods.
War of 1812
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hobbs, William H., (page 1174) Lake City, is the son of George H. and Sarah M. (Crandall) Hobbs, and was born at Buffalo, New York, October 12, 1855. His father was a native of Grand Isle, Vermont, and was by trade a machinist and engineer. His mother was born in Saratoga, New York, and her parents in the State of Rhode Island. Her father was a soldier in the war of 1812. In 1859 the family removed to Wisconsin, where our subject's father enlisted in the war for the Union as a member of Co. I, 11th Wis. Vol. Inf., in 1861. Soon after his connection with military affairs he was transferred to the naval service and assigned a position as first assistant engineer on the gunboat Osage on its famous expedition up the Red River. Wm. H. received a good common-school education, as well as the mason's trade, after his removal to Lake City in 1870. He followed his trade in this state about seven years, principally as a contractor and builder. In 1879 he entered the hardware store of J. Cole Doughty as salesman, and about two years later bought an interest in the business, which was again sold in the winter of 1884. As an evidence of the esteem in which he is held by his fellow citizens, he was elected to city school board in the spring of 1883, and on its behalf superintended the erection of the new brick school built that year. One meritorious trait of character in Mr. Hobbs is his manly and filial treatment of his widowed mother, who resides with him in this city. He has an only sister, Lura M., now Mrs. C. S. Lilley, of this city.
Hopkins, William Henry, (page 1180) merchant at Weaver, was born at Villenovia, New York, in 1840. Mr. Hopkins is one of our self-made men, having attended school but very little. In 1861 he visited Minneiska, and opened up a store, and the old maxim, Fortune favors the brave, held good in his case, for ever since he has prospered. At present he owns a fine brick block, 44x65 in Weaver, and deals in general merchandise and machinery. In politics he is independent, voting for good men without respect to party. He married Rachel E. Montgomery, of Lake City, and they have three children: Joseph William, now at Casselton, Dakota Territory; Mary E. and Susie, both attending school at Winona.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hopkins, Edward Franklin, (page 1281) was born at Manchester, Maine, September 3, 1849. At the age of five years his parents, Wm. H. Hopkins and Rhoda M. moved to Readfield, Maine, where in 1858 his father died, leaving a good property to the widow and the two small children, of which Edward was the younger. The following year the mother moved with the family to Boston, Massachusetts, where for two years. the children received the benefits of a fine school. In April, 1860, they came to Minnesota, arriving at Lake City late in the evening. The following morning Mrs. Hopkins became Mrs. Standish, by being joined in wedlock to Rev. E. A. Standish, of Mazeppa, the wedding taking place at the residence of DeWitt C. Sterry. Edward A. Standish was a Methodist clergyman, and a direct descendant of Capt. Miles Standish, of the Mayflower. Mrs. Hopkins had not seen Mr. Standish for about twenty years, until the arrival in Lake City. They had known each other in their earlier days. They came at once to Mazeppa and occupied the Standish homestead. The war breaking out soon after this, Mr. Standish's sons, Merit G. and Miles E. joined the 1st and 3d regiments respectively, Minn. Vols., leaving Edward, the only remaining boy, at home to work the farm. Several years of hard labor for Edward followed. At the close of the war he was placed in school at Red Wing, and afterward at Hamline University. He rapidly developed a taste for learning. He afterward went to Rockford, Illinois, and took a full course in a commercial school at that place. After this he went to Lake City and clerked for C. F. Young, and has followed this business ever since, being at the present writing engaged with E. L. Ford & Co., of Mazeppa. On December 20, 1875, he was married to Josephine Sutherland. They have two children, Hattie and James Shirley. Besides his duties in the store, he has also an insurance business, and is notary public. He has also been engaged for several years in breeding and raising for market fine hogs. His sales of fine animals during 1882-3 amounted to over fifteen hundred dollars.
Hornbogen, Charles, (page 981) furniture, hardware, farmers' tools, etc.; store on the south side of Water street, corner Main. His store fronts fifty feet on Water street, sixty- eight on Main street, and is a two-story brick, erected in 1871. Mr. Hornberger (spelling is different) established his furniture business in 1868 on Second street, and came to his present location in 1879. He is a native of Saxony, born in 1827, learned his trade there, and came to America in 1853. Was in New York State, Indiana and Kentucky until 1856, when he came to Read's Landing , and finding no work at his own trade as cabinetmaker, worked as carpenter and builder until 1868, when he opened a furniture store. He was married here in 1861, to Miss Gertrude Anding. Their children are: Frank, born October 15, 1864; Alfred, born October 31, 1866; Clara, born November 15, 1868; Harry, born February 14, 1871.
Horner, Rev. John Wesley, (page 1229) pastor Congregational church, Lake City, was born at Lanesville, Harrison county, Indiana, September 6, 1852, and is a son of Jacob Horner, a prominent physician. At the age of fifteen he entered the state university at Bloomington, Indiana, where he diligently pursued his preparatory course four years. At the age of twenty-one he entered the Yale Theological Seminary, at New Haven, Connecticut, from which he graduated in May, 1876. He soon after entered upon his ministerial labors at Bloomfield, Iowa, where he was ordained October 9, 1876. While on this charge he was married to Miss Orpha Morgan, on May 10, 1877, and who died May 27, 1878, while he was in charge of the church at Keosauqua, Iowa. Soon after this sad event in his life ill health compelled him to resign the ministry till the spring of 1880, when he went to Coral, Michigan, and resumed his clerical labors. After two years spent in the work here and Otsego, Michigan, he came to Lake City in May, 1882, and so acceptably supplied the pulpit of the Congregational church in this city up till the winter of 1884 that he was unanimously called by his congregation. His second marriage was on September 22, 1881, to Miss Kate Gertrude Clarke, a daughter of Robert L. Clarke, Esq., private secretary of Gov. Sherman, of Iowa. Mr. Horner has two children, Charles Sumner, by his deceased wife, and Hazel May, by his present wife.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hostetter, Manasses S., (page 1186) miller, Gillford, has been a resident of this county since 1872, at which time he built a mill at Wabasha. Five years later he exchanged for Cold Spring mill his present property, half a mile from Zumbro Falls. Here he is doing a fine business in custom milling. Besides the mill property, he has half a section of land near Grafton, Dakota, which indicates that his industry and sagacity have served him worthily. Mr. Hostetter's parents, Daniel and Elizabeth, were of German descent and Pennsylvania birth. They settled near Zanesville, Ohio, and here this subject was born in 1840. When he was six years old his parents removed to Indiana, subsequently to Wisconsin, and in 1854 to Pine Island, this state. Less than one month of his time has been spent in a schoolroom, but his own research has fitted him for good citizenship. At seventeen he began work at his trade, and worked at various points in the state. In 1859, with a partner, he built a mill at Pine Island, but it was destroyed by fire before it was completed. In August, 1862, he entered the United States service, and served till the close of the civil war in Co. H, 8th Minn. Regt. During the last year he was stationed at different points in the south, and the balance of his service was rendered on the western frontier in subduing the bloodthirsty Sioux. Many a weary march was made through the "bad lands," with the prospect of an ambush behind every pinnacle. In November, 1859, he espoused Lucinda Brandt, daughter of Eli and Mary, all of Pennsylvania. Two sons and a daughter have been given to them. The latter was christened Cora, married John Cliff, resides with her father. The eldest and youngest Eli Daniel and Murray Willis, reside at Grafton.
Howe, George, (page 1099) Kellogg, is a native of Prussia, having been born in the Rhine Province, in February, 1844. His people were farmers, and removed to America when he was in his fourteenth year, settling in Iowa. The parents, John and Susan Howe, died there. Our subject attended an English school about three months, and, with the rudiments of our language this acquired, was enabled to perfect himself in the requirements of an American citizen. He has served as town and village justice four years, three years as chairman of the Greenfield board of supervisors, and one year as recorder of Kellogg village. His political affiliations are with the democratic party. he was reared in the Catholic church, and still adheres to its faith. Is a member of Read's Landing Lodge, I.O.O.F. In 1860 Mr. Howe settled on a farm in Glasgow township, this county, where he dwelt until 1874. At this time he built the only brick building in Kellogg, and opened a saloon therein. He still owns the building, which he rents, and has abandoned the saloon business. He was the prime mover toward the incorporation of the village, and secured this end in a few weeks. In 1868 Mr. Howe took a "rib" from the family of Michael Schouweiler, one of the pioneers of Highland, in the person of his daughter, Catharine, born in Teepes, Ohio. Their eldest daughter, now only thirteen years old, is an ardent student of history, and can name all the American presidents, in order, without hesitation. The youngest, an infant boy, is not christened at this writing. The others, in order of age, are named Michael, Catharine, John, George, Dora and Edward.
War of 1812
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Howard, Laconius M., (page 1160) farmer, Zumbro, is the twelfth of a family of thirteen children, and was born in Ellisburg, Jefferson county, New York, August 28, 1836. His father, Joseph Howard, was a soldier in the war of 1812. His mother's maiden name was Purley Franklin, and both parents were born in Vermont. All his life has been passed on a farm, and he had very limited schooling advantages. He remained on the old homestead after reaching maturity. January 13, 1857, he was married to Harriet, daughter of James and Polly Love, all born in Converse, Vermont. In August, 1824*, Mr. Howard entered the 186th N. Y. regt., and served in the army of the Potomac till the close of the civil war. The battle of Petersburg was the only serious engagement in which he participated. In the fall of 1865 he came to Minnesota, and remained two years in Dodge county. In 1867 he bought eighty acres of land on section 17, this town, where he lived eleven years. He now owns one-fourth of that section, and a similar portion of section 18, where his home has been for the last five years. In 1871 he was worth nothing, but has struggled out of his difficulties, and is prosperous. In religious faith he agrees with the Methodists. Has always voted the democratic ticket. His children are all in this town. They were born as follows: James A., January 3, 1858; Wilbur F., March 13, 1859; Iona, June 22, 1862 (now Mrs. Jerome Hall); Franklin D., September 11, 1869.
*The date must be 1864
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Howat, James, (page 1055) the subject of this sketch, was born in Banffshire, Scotland, March 24, 1824. His parents were John and Margaret (Bonnayman) Howat. His father being a farmer, James led the life of a Scotch country laddie until eighteen years of age, when he came to America, whither his parents had preceded him. He spent several years in the pineries of Canada, and also worked at Fort Wayne, near Detroit, Michigan. In 1859 he came to Highland, and homesteaded the quarter-section (section 14) where he now resides, and to which he has added forty acres in section 21. He was married in Canada April 5, 1851, to Agnes Scott, daughter of a County Down, North of Ireland, farmer, James Scott, and his wife, Elizabeth (Butcher) Scott. Two sons and two daughters have blessed their union, viz: John and Elizabeth, born in Canada, and Margaret and James, natives of Minnesota. Mr. Howat served one year in the 3d Minn. Inf., and was honorably discharged at the close of the rebellion. The republican party has called him to serve on the township board of supervisors four years in succession. The religious faith of the family is Presbyterian.
Howat, John, (page 1056) farmer, and dealer in agricultural implements, is the eldest son of James and Agnes (Scott) Howat, and was born in Holdamond county, Canada, September 6, 1852. His parents removed to Minnesota in 1859. He led the life of a pioneer farmer-boy, and received a fair education in the winter schools. In 1873 he bought eighty acres of land from his grandfather Scott in section 15, where he has since resided. December 18, 1877, he was married to Mary Amelia Affeld. This lady was born at Mantella, Wisconsin, March, 1856. Her parents were Godfred and Doretha (Schuelke) Affeld. The children of this marriage are James, three years old, and Louis G., one year. Mr. Howat deals in agricultural implements, Kellogg being his headquarters. He is a member of the Congregational church, and in politics a republican.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hubbard, Clarence A., (page 1128) cashier of Lake City Bank, Lake City, is a native of Ingham county, Michigan. He was born November 4, 1844, and is the son of John I. and Lucy L. (Smith) Hubbard, natives of the State of New York, and descendants of New England stock. His ancestors on his father's side figured prominently in the revolutionary war. Young Clarence removed to Winona, Minnesota, in June, 1853, with his parents, who were among the pioneer settlers of that now prosperous city. In 1858 he returned to his native state, and entered upon an academic course of study in the city of Lansing, which he vigorously pursued till 1860. He then entered the State Normal at Winona, from which he graduated into the army at the outbreak of the civil war, serving with his regiment, 8th Minn. Vol. Inf., on the frontier during the Sioux war, and later on the staffs of Gens. R. N. McLaren and H. H. Sibley. At the restoration of peace, and Mr. Hubbard had received an honorable discharge, he settled in Lake City, and embarked in the grain and commission business, from which he retired in 1869, and entered the banking house of C. W. Hackett & Co. (now the Lake City Bank), as cashier. This position he still holds, being also one of the board of directors. He is married and has one son, Will Adelbert, now sixteen years of age. Mr. Hubbard is a Mason and a Knight Templar, and is also a prominent member of the Congregational church, an active and conscientious business man, who is much appreciated by his fellow citizens.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Humphrey, Ira J., (page 1095) was born in Steuben county, New York, October 25, 1826, his parents being William and Hannah (Harris) Humphrey, the former a native of New York State and the latter of Virginia. He received a common-school education. July 15, 1849, he espoused Mary A. Randall, a native of Orange county, New York, then in her twentieth year. Her parents, William and Anna (Davenport) Randall, were both born in the same state. Mr. Humphrey continued to reside at the old home until 1854, when he removed to Illinois; from here he went to Vernon county, Wisconsin, and again to Tunnel City, Wisconsin, where he kept hotel, and Mrs. Humphrey opened a millinery store. In 1861 they came to Highland, and took up the eighty acres on section 20, where they still reside. Mr. Humphrey served eighteen months in the 1st Minn. bat., which was with Sherman in his famous march to the sea. Mr. Humphrey is an excellent farmer, and indifferent politician and a genial man. Mrs. Humphrey has established a local reputation as a prophetess. This worthy couple have been blessed with three sons, James, Milo and Charles, now residents of Brown county, Dakota.
Humphrey, Marcus A., (page 1078) Lake City, is one of seventeen children born to Theophilus and Cynthia (Hayden) Humphrey. The subject of this sketch was born in 1808, at Canton, Connecticut, the native state of his parents. He followed farming till the approach of age prevented. When thirty years old he married Sina Fitch Chipman, born in New York, daughter of Lemuel and Laura (Meade) Chipman, of Vermont birth. Mr. Humphrey became a resident of Lake City in 1868, engaging in the loan and real-estate business. He is a deacon in the Congregational church, of which himself and wife have been members forty years, and is a republican from principle. During his residence in New York, where he went when nine years old, he served his town acceptably for several terms as assessor, and was six years an efficient member of the Lake City school board. Of his six children, three are living, as follows: Louisa F. (Mrs. C. D. Warren), Lake City; Marcus C., Marshall, Minnesota; Laura (Marcus Carson), Lake City. The others died at ages noted below: Alta, twenty-eight; Theophilus C., twenty-two; Nina a, twenty-one.
Huntoon, Otis, (page 1337 ~ not listed in the index) Plainview farmer, is of remote Scotch descent. His father, Philip, was a native of New Hampshire, as was his mother, Hannah Morrison. Samuel Morrison, father of the latter, was a Revolutionary soldier. Otis Huntoon was born in Eastern Townships, Stanstead county, Canada, August 18, 1836. His parents soon after moved to Vermont, where he grew up on a farm, attending the common school and Derby academy. In 1858 he went to Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, and came thence to this state in 1862. He at first settled in Viola, Olmsted county, but two years later sold, and bought his present farm in section 31, Plainview. He now has 293 acres, and is engaged in mixed farming. His stock includes 35 cattle, 15 horses, and 45 hogs. During this spring's seeding he is working some half-blood Norman two- year-old colts that give promise of making heavy horses. Mr. Huntoon bears typical New England features of face and character. Like his father before him, he is a firm believer in the principles of Republicanism. He has served this town as assessor for seven years, and in 1875 and 1880 took its census. He has had two wives, neither of whom is now living. The first, Viola Chase, of Vermont, was joined to him in 1861, and died in November 1865, leaving two children. Nora, the eldest, will graduate from Union Normal school this year. Niles resides with his father. In August, 1867, Mr. Huntoon married Emma, nee Sharp, a widow of Dover. She died June 8, 1881, and left six children, named as follows: Grant and Grace (twins), Rosa, Carlotta, Archie and Daisy Maud.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Hyde, John E., (page 952) retired merchant, is a grandson of Zabdiel Hyde, who commanded a regiment of militia during the defense of New London when it was burned by the British in 1781. William Hyde, father of this subject, was born in Connecticut. Early in life he went to Maine to engage in teaching. Here he met Miss Julia Douglas, another teacher, born within ten miles of his own native place. An attachment sprang up between them and they were married. William Hyde became well known as a newspaper and book publisher, his establishment being located at Portland. Here was born the subject of this sketch, in the year 1819. In infancy he was small and puny, but grew to be strong and rugged, though small in stature, and in early manhood endured great fatigue and extremes of heat and cold. In the early years of his business in Mazeppa he was compelled to depend on neighboring farmers for a team, and could not often get their oxen in winter except on days when it was so cold their owners did not care to be out. On these days Mr. Hyde was accustomed to go after wood, or to Red Wing after goods. At the same time Mrs. Hyde was not much troubled with customers in his absence, so a double advantage was gained. It grew to be a common remark with the Red Wing merchants on a cold morning, "Well, I guess Hyde will be in today." Mr. Hyde's early life was passed mostly in Portland, and his education was furnished by the schools of that city, and high school in Boston. He was filled with a desire to be a farmer and conceived a great liking for stock, especially horses. Great was his delight when he was permitted to spend a winter with an uncle in the eastern part of the state. When but two or three years old he was one day taken to his father's place of business to ride home with him on a horse. When ready to go his father seated him on the horse, and before he could himself mount the youthful Pegasus seized the reins and struck the horse a blow with the whip. The steed at once set off at high speed, but was soon stopped by a crowd of men without any accident to its rider, who experienced none of the alarm which his freak had caused in all the observers. He was kept at school and in his father's store as much as possible to prevent his haunting livery stables. When eighteen years old he engaged at farm labor for very low wages, rather than be confined in his father's business. He continued to follow this pursuit and finally purchased a farm. He also followed lumbering in winter. In 1842, at Paris, Maine, he married Miss Sarah Stowell, a native of that place. Her father, Daniel, was born in Vermont, and Ann Stowell, his wife, was born in Paris. In 1849 Mr. Hyde sold out his property and set out for the west. His funds sufficed to carry him to Platteville, Wisconsin, where he was employed for some time in a powder-mill. At one time the mill was blown up, but he escaped without injury. In the spring of 1855 he set out for St. Paul, but was induced by a brother-in-law to stop at Mazeppa. After helping his brother-in-law to build a log structure he went back to Galena, Illinois, and secured a stock of merchandise, which he brought here with his family in October. He soon bought the store in which he was conducting business, and afterward the store now occupied by E. L. Ford & Co. Here the business was continued till 1872, under the management of Mrs. Hyde, from the early part of 1865. In February of this year Mr. Hyde enlisted at Chicago, in the 156th Ill. regt., as a private. He was soon made orderly sergeant, and when his ability as clerk and accountant was discovered, he was made captain's clerk. This regiment was chiefly occupied in chasing guerrillas, and on three different occasions Mr. Hyde went through a forced march of ninety miles in three days in excellent form. In July, at Cleveland, Tennessee, he received a sunstroke, from which he never recovered, and is now unable to walk about without assistance. In religious faith Mr. Hyde coincides with the Congregationalists. He is an enthusiastic republican and has always evinced a commendable public spirit. It was largely due to his influence that the Mazeppa schoolhouse, now inadequate to meet the demands upon it. was built as large as it is. He was town clerk for several years, and nearly always a member of the village school board while in active life. He was the first postmaster at Mazeppa, his commission dating January 2, 1856. He came here in debt and secured his independence by untiring industry. He claimed a quarter- section of land south of the village, by mortgaging, and afterward redeeming which he was enabled to tide over several mercantile billows. As high as ten dollars was paid by him for one hundred dollars of exchange on Boston. His estate now embraces a large and fine residence and two lots in the village. In partial compensation for his loss of health the United States government pays him a liberal pension. He was one of the most active business men of the town, and his inability is regretted by his fellow citizens. His mind is unaffected and he is an interesting companion despite his impaired hearing. Eleven children were given to Mr. and Mrs. Hyde, of whom nine are living, as follows: Eliza, with parents; Mary D., teaching, Wilmington, North Carolina; Frank D., Dubuque; Edward S., Zumbro Falls; Anna M. (Mrs. A. T. Pomeroy), Dubuque; Julia, teacher, at home; Ella F., teacher, Minneapolis; Minnesota S. (?) (Mrs. Eugene Ruth), Mazeppa; Lizzie F., teacher, Minneapolis; Joseph W., third child, was killed by a fall from a horse, at nineteen; Willard, the youngest, lived but one year.