Jacobs, William J., (page 1038 ~ deceased) was among the early residents of Lake City, having located here in May, 1857. He was born near Lewistown, Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, March 1, 1818; received a thorough common school education; studied law, and in due time was admitted to the bar. In February, 1850, he married Sarah D. Peebles, and removed at once to Lewistown, where he began practice. He continued to practice here until 1866, and then removed to his farm in Hay Creek, Goodhue county. Here his wife died, leaving three daughters and one son. After two and a half years' farm life, he returned to the city, and served several years as city justice, in connection with his office practice and editorial work. For the first two years of its publication, beginning in 1870, he was editor of the Lake City "Sentinel," and again for three and a half years from October, 1873. He was a clear and strong writer, and made his influence felt. The "Sentinel" is a democratic journal, and Mr. Jacobs was a stable exponent of the doctrines of its party. In February, 1872, he married Mrs. Waters, who died four years later, leaving one daughter, Laura Louisa, now in the care of her eldest sister. Mr. Jacob's death was caused by paralysis, and occurred April 2, 1881, at the home of his eldest child, Mrs. G. R. Bartron, in this city. He had previously spent a year in practice at Appleton and Lac qui Parle, this state, but came home to die when he found his health giving away. He was buried by Carnelian Lodge, No. 40, A.F.A.M., of which he was a member. His second child, John P., is publishing a paper at Lac qui Parle; the third, Mrs. W. M. Strickland, resides at Philadelphia, and the fourth, Fanny, with Mrs. Bartron.
Jacoby, M., (page 1193) general merchant, corner of Main and Pembroke streets, entrance on both, fronting seventy-five feet on Main and twenty-three feet on Pembroke. Business occupies one floor and basement and employs three persons. This house was started in 1877 by Lindem, Satori & Co. Mr. Jacobi bought out Sartori in 1879, subsequently purchased the other interests, and became sole proprietor in 1882. M. Jacoby is a native of Luxemburg, Germany; was in school there until the family came to America in 1874; settling on sections 4 and 5, T. 110, R. 11 W., where his father died September 10, 1882, the old homestead remaining in possession of one of the sons. M. Jacoby entered the drygoods house of Lucas Kuehn, of this city, in the spring of 1875, and remained there until he purchased an interest in the store he now owns. December 31, 1878, he was married to Miss Rosa Funke, of Glasgow township. They have two children: Emma, born December 22, 1879; Lizzie, born September 5, 1881.
Janti, William, (page 1097) farmer, Chester, was born August 15, 1837, near Arlow, Belgium, and was reared there on a farm, attending school till fourteen years old. In 1853 he came to Sheldon, Wyoming county, New York, where he engaged in farm labor. In 1861 he became a resident of this town, purchasing eighty acres on section 6. In 1883 he sold this and purchased the southwest quarter of the same section, where he lives and has a beautiful farm. He was a poor man when he came to Minnesota. Both himself and wife have worked hard to make themselves a home. In the fall of 1883 the latter followed a plow day after day, because help was scarce and dear. Their wedding occurred June 17, 1866, the bride's name being Anna Megers. She was born in Luxembourg, and is a sister of John N. Megers, elsewhere mentioned. Their children were born and christened thus: Sarah A., May 26, 1867; John, October 4, 1871; Eva M., June 20, 1874; Mary, September 17,1879; Christina, September 26, 1881. All the members of the family are Catholics.
Jenks, Thomas Talman, (page 1290) Lake City, whose grandfather with two brothers came from England and settled in Connecticut and New Hampshire just previous to the outbreak of the war of the revolution, was born in Lamoile, Vermont, July 4, 1823. His parents were Jeremiah and Hepcibeth (Talman) Jenks, and were natives of Lyon, New Hampshire; the latter a descendant of a Holland family who emigrated to the colonies about the middle of the last century. Mr. Jenks, like his father, was reared a farmer, and followed that as a business till his advent into Minnesota in 1856. The same season he built a shingle mill at Central Point. Six years later he bought a planing mill located at the foot of Dwelle street, and soon after converted it into a shingle factory, and time converted it into a tenement, which as long since passed out of existence. He was married at Elmore, Vermont, December 14, 1845, to Elmira Bailey, a native of the same state, born April 18, 1827. To them were born six children, three of whom are living, whose names in the order of their birth are: Lucelia A., born in Massachusetts, September 7, 1846, now the wife of John W. Northfield; Francis H., born in Vermont, April 18, 1848, and Elwin T., born in same state, September 10, 1853. The three deceased are Eugene A., Emma A. and Ada, aged eighteen months, seven years, and fourteen years, respectively.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Jerry, Francis, (page 950 ~ deceased) settled in Chester August 18, 1855, taking a claim on section 28. He opened up three farms, and left his widow eighty acres on section 33, where he died July 24, 1874. Mr. Jerry was a native of New York, born July 6, 1814. He was reared on a farm in Canada by an uncle, his parents having died when he was an infant. He served in the United States forces during the Black Hawk war, and afterward settled near Galena, Illinois. He was married there May 2, 1838, to Elizabeth Grishaber, who was born in Hoffwehr, Baden, Germany, November 15, 1819. After farming on rented land in Illinois he came to Minnesota, as above related. He was deranged by a sunstroke in June, 1867, and was entirely helpless during the last three years of his life. Besides his widow, five children were left to mourn him, now located as follows: Francis M., Barron county, Wisconsin; Basil, Missouri; Mary (Mrs. William Evans), Plum City, Wisconsin; Joseph (rendered totally deaf by measles while serving in the 3d Minn. Inf.) with his mother; Augustus, Winfield, Montana; Isadore, Washington Territory. Basil served through the war of the rebellion, and Francis three years in the same struggle. Mr. Jerry was reared a Catholic, but did not adhere to that faith.
Jewell, H. B., (page 1126 ~ not listed in the index) son of H. H. Jewell, is a native of Massachusetts; came to Wabasha with his father's family in 1864; learned his trade as a tinsmith in St. Paul, and came into the employ of the house in which he is now the senior partner (the description of which can be found on Chapter 35 of the 1884 book), in 1869. April 3, 1880, he married Miss Ida V. Bunn, of this city.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Jewell, Dr. P. A., (page 1291 ~ deceased), once a prominent resident of Lake City, was born in the State of New York and was educated in the classical course at Oberlin, Ohio, and graduated from the medical department of the Ann Arbor University. During the war of 1861-5 he was appointed to the hospital service in Washington, and there did the government efficient service. He was married August 20, 1863, at Morris, Illinois, to Miss Catharine Underwood, a graduate of the Female Medical College, of Philadelphia, and sister of J. M. Underwood, of this city. He came to Lake City in 1868, and established in the nursery which now bears his name. The doctor and his noble wife were only spared to their fellow citizens a very few years, and now repose in Lake City's beautiful cemetery. They left an unblemished name, but no posterity.
Johns, Martin, (page 1234 ~ deceased) was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, July 9, 1826, and was reared on a farm, where he received a common-school education. Early in life he entered the boot and shoe house of his brother-in-law as an apprentice, and with him completed the trade. He was married in 1853, to Miss Mary A. Frantz, and in 1857 came to Minnesota, landing at Lake City on April 9. He soon after engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes, and later opened up a store for the purpose of dealing more largely in that branch of merchandise. This he continued up till a short time before his death, which occurred July 17, 1866. Mrs. Johns was born in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, and is the daughter of Jacob Frantz, who was born on his father's farm. and was the son and only child of John Frantz, of whom he inherited a large estate in lands and mills. He was the father of ten children, six of whom are still living, and died early in life. Mr. Johns left, besides his widow, three sons, who are worthily perpetuating their father's good name. The eldest, Horace Frantz Johns, is now in this city, and is the junior member of the manufacturing firm of Neal, Johns & Co.; William is merchandising in Hastings, Minnesota, and Walter is engaged in business in St. Paul. Mrs. Johns' second marriage was on August 8, 1872, to Mr. A. W. Detmars, who died in this city November 6, 1882. He was a native of the State of New York, and was born in 1822. Much of his life was spent as a traveling salesman, though his latter years were passed in this city. During his residence here he was an enthusiastic supporter of all measures or enterprises which had in view the building up and advancement of the city's prosperity. Mrs. Detmars still resides in this her adopted city, in her pleasant and elegant residence on Lyon avenue, and is an active member of the Episcopal church.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Johnson, Andrew K., (page 1337 ~ not listed in the index) farmer, of Elgin, is a grandson of John Johnson, of Massachusetts. Ephraim, father of Andrew Johnson, was a Free Will Baptist preacher, and married Sarah Knowlton, both being natives of Maine. Andrew, father of Sarah Knowlton, served seven years in the Revolution War. The subject of this paragraph was born in Welliongton, Piscataquis County, same State, March 4, 1830. He was reared on a farm, and at sixteen began blacksmithing, which occupied his time for about twenty years. In the fall of 1853, he went to Green Lake County, Wisconsin, where he became possessed of a farm of eighty acres. Here he was married, in 1854, to Miss Susan Day, who was born in Brighton, Maine, August 19, 1831. Miss Johnson's parents-Amos Day and Hannah Robins-were natives of New Hampshire and Massachusetts respectively. In 1860 Mr. Johnson bought land on section 19, Elgin, and moved thither the next year. He is now the possessor of 720 acres in one body, and heavily engaged in stock and grain raising. He also has a half-section of land at Andover, Dakota, as have each of his children. Mr. Johnson's stock now includes eighty-two head of grade cattle. He has buried twenty-four horses since his residence here. He is a member of the Elgin Masonic Lodge and Plainview Oddfellows. Is a thorough Republican. On the 14th of August, 1862, he enlisted in the 9th Minnesota Regiment, and served eight months on the Western frontier. At the end of this time he was discharged on account of disability and sent home to die. With characteristic determination he refused to yield up the ghost, although he has never fully recovered his health. His children reside as follows: Alfred A. and Laura, Andover, Dakota; Susan Adelia (Mrs. William Clone), Larimore, Dakota; Joseph Arthur, Andover; Leonard H., section 19, Elgin; Fred Owen, Lillian May, Mary Edith and Nora Elsie, with parents.
Johnson, S. J., (page 1180) was born in Sweden in 1850. After receiving an education at Bersbo, and also at Janskaping high schools, he came to America in 1868, his father coming in 1870. Our subject came direct to Chicago, but still being restless, came to Minneiska. Ever since he has been in the employ of W. H. Hopkins as head clerk. He is married, and both are members of the Lutheran church. His wife's name was Anna Johnson, and they were married in 1865.
Johnson, William A., (page 1099 ~ deceased) was one who was useful to Greenfield township. He was a native of Warren county, New Jersey, born in 1815. At an early age he entered a store as clerk, and eventually began mercantile business for himself at Sodom, and afterward at Popeville, in his native county. For ten years he was employed as a clerk in the United States treasury department. He became a resident of Greenfield in 1861, and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land. He had been a successful business man, and now wished to retire from active life in the invigorating climate for which Minnesota is so famous. His farm was rented, and he occupied his mind by conducting a store and hotel. He secured a postoffice here in 1862, and took charge of it. The name applied to this office was Pauselim, and Mr. Johnson platted a village under the same cognomen, on section 27, in 1863. He served some time as justice of the peace, and was chairman of the town board in the years 1862-3-4-5. He adhered to the democracy in political matters, and his religious faith was represented by the Baptist church. He passed away in January, 1870, leaving a widow and one son. The latter, named Isaac L., resides in Washington, District of Columbia. Mrs. Johnson died here in 1882. Her maiden name was Sarah La Rue, and she is a native of New Jersey.
Judd, George Washington, (page 960) blacksmith, is a son of Seymour Judd and
both of whom were born in Lenox, Massachusetts. Seymour Judd was a blacksmith,
in Smyrna, Chenangeo county, New York, where his son, George, was born,
February 28, 1815.
When the subject of this sketch was but fifteen years old his father died, and
he became largely
responisble for the care of the family. He had already worked a great deal in
the shop with his
father, and continued to follow the trade all his life. When he was seven
years old the family had
moved to Nelson, Madison county, and here he remained until 1844, then going
same county. He was married June 28, 1840, to Miss Amanda; daughter of Elisha
(Perkins) Emmons, who removed from their native Connecticut to New York, where
was born. Mr. Judd became a resident of Wabasha county in the fall of 1855,
locating a claim to
eighty acres of land in section 31, Chester. He built the first blacksmith-
shop in Mazeppa. It
stood on land now traversed by the C. M. & St. P. railway, near where Dr.
Lont's barn now
stands. A room was finished off in one end of this building, in which he dwelt
with his family for
some months. He continued to carry on blacksmithing in Mazeppa till 1874, when
he rented a
farm in Bear Valley, and tilled it three years. At the end of this time he
moved on a farm, owned
by himself and son, in Pine Island township, adjoining the village. This
estate includes one
hundred and thirty acres, of which Mr. Judd took eighty in exchange for his
claim soon after the
latter was taken. He is a member of the Mazeppa masonic lodge; has always
espoused the cause
of the republican party. Mr. and Mrs. Judd have three children living, and
lost a pair of twins at
six weeks old, while in New York. Lewis, the eldest, has been twice married,
and lost both
spouses. He was united with Miss Cornelia J. Russell, who died, leaving one
child, Nora Elva,
born November 13, 1866. On the 30th of March, 1868, he married Fannie E.
Smith, who left four
children at her death. They were born as follows: George Wells, February 2,
1869; Kittie May,
December 20, 1870; Franklin E., January 10, 1875; Harry Granville, August 28,
second child of G. W. Judd, was born May 10, 1843, is now the wife of Francis
M. Brown, Lake
City. Eveline R., December 14, 1848, married E. M. Woodbury on the 14th of
and dwells in Zumbrota township. When Mr. Judd arrived here; he borrowed money
to pay the
freight on his goods, but paid it by January following. He is now in
as the result of his blows with the hammer.