Landon, Charles O.: (page 1096) Jesse Landon, the father of the subject of this sketch, was the son of a Herkimer county, New York, farmer, and himself a farmer. He married Harriet Fish, and was residing on a farm in Chautauqua county, in the same state, on August 23, 1826, when Charles, the third child of their large family of thirteen children, was born. He remained on the farm with his parents until the day he reached his majority. His educational advantages were very inferior, and the excellent practical education which he possessed was due to his own keen and penetrating powers of observation, unaided by even the district schoolmaster, as both summer and winter young Landon's services on the farm were thought to be indispensable. With but one suit of clothes and almost penniless, on the day that he was twenty-one, he departed the parental home to seek his fortune. For four years he labored as a farm hand among New York State farmers, and saved up his meager earnings until they amounted to several hundred dollars. Funding himself able to do a little farming on his own hook, in 1851 he took to himself a wife, and rented a place. During the next three years he continued to engage in agricultural pursuits and the buying and selling of stock. In 1854 he made his first trip to the west, bringing to the Illinois market several fine horses. Being much pleased with the new country, he went back east fully resolved to return with his family as soon as he could settle up his business affairs there; and the following year found him the owner of a farm in Green Lake county, Wisconsin. He resided here but one year, then spent five years in Dunn county in the same state, where he pre-empted a claim near Eau Claire. Finding the western fever still firing his veins, and being dissatisfied with Wisconsin, he sold out in 1861 and came to Wabasha county, locating on one hundred and sixty acres of school land on section 16 in Plainview township the ensuing year, after a few weeks' experience as a grocer in Plainview village. Four years later he sold this farm, and in 1867 bought the village residence which he still owns and occupies, and opened a real-estate and loan office in Plainview. In 1874 he became the senior partner in the firm of C. O. Landon & Co. (the description of which can be found on Chapter 36 of the 1884 book), successors to A. Y. Felton, drugs and groceries. Being prospered in both branches of his business, Mr. Landon, in the spring of 1883, relieved himself of a portion of his business burden by transferring his interest in the store to his son, George C. Landon. Mr. Landon has been twice married; his first wife was Sarah Curtiss, whom he espoused in Warren county, Pennsylvania, in 1851, and who died November 7, 1860, leaving two children, Jay Landon, a hardware merchant of Winona, Minnesota, and George C. Landon. The present Mrs. Landon was Miss Martha J. Kenney, of Dansville, New York, to whom he was married September 9, 1861. Grace Landon is the only child of this union surviving, a son (Charles) having departed this life in his fifteenth year, on January 11, 1883. Mr. Landon is a member of Plainview Lodge of A.F.A.M., and of the Congregational church. In politics is a republican; has been for several years a justice of the peace, and officiated as chairman of the township board of supervisors.
Lange, Fritz, (page 1314 ~ listed "Lunge" in the index) brewer, Lake City, is the partner of John C. Schmidt, in the brewing business. He was born in Schweren Mecklenberg, Germany, January 14, 1837, and is the son of Christopher and Sophia (Brinkho) Lange, who were also natives of the same province, and by occupation farmers. His educational advantages were somewhat limited, though he, like all the better class of Germans, has made amends for it by careful study and observation since his advent into this country. In the spring of 1857 he emigrated to America in the same vessel with his partner, Mr. Schmidt, and with him spent a year at Buffalo, New York, and the following spring came to Wabasha county, Minnesota, and settled in West Albany township. Here he took eighty acres of land under the homestead act, and purchased another eighty. This he soon after sold and purchased a one hundred and sixty acres in the same township, which he traded in 1877 for his Lake City property. At. Buffalo, New York, on August 9, 1857, Mr. Lange was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta Haase, who was also a native of Mecklenberg, and came over in the same ship with himself, being six weeks on the ocean in a sailing bark. Mr. Lange by industry and economy has made for himself and family a comfortable home, and enjoys the respect and confidence of his fellow men. He has four children, whose names are: Caroline, now Mrs. Charles Chandell, of Campbell, Minnesota; Fritz J., Josephine and Henry, at home. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. and the Sons of Hermann. Their religious faith is in the Lutheran doctrine.
Langer, Fred, (page 1181) farmer, was born in Portage, Wisconsin. He is the youngest son of Franz and Rosa Langer, natives of Austria. When about twenty-eight years of age the elder Langer came to Wisconsin, and about ten years later bought their present farm of over five hundred acres, together about three hundred acres under cultivation, and well improved. The elder Langer was drafted for service, but on arriving at St. Paul the war was closed. Fred is a member of the A.F.A.M. order. They both, especially the younger, vote for the man, in politics, regardless of party. They are among our reliable farmers. The elder Langer was married 1823, to Rosa Miller, of Austria. He has four children; three in Dakota.
La Rue, Charles, (page 1112) farmer, Greenfield, has been a resident of this township since the spring of 1862, at which time he took the management of the farm he now occupies-then the property of his brother-in-law, W. A. Johnson-on section 22. Among the earliest families of New Jersey was that of La Rue, of French extraction. Isaac La Rue, father of this subject, was born and reared in that state, as was his bride, Martha Gregg. To them a son was born July 29, 1838, in Warren county, and christened Charles. The latter was reared on the home farm, and attended the common school some after he was fourteen years old. Nature did much for him, and he contrived to fit himself for a useful citizen. He has served four years as supervisor of Greenfield, elected by democratic votes. Is a member of Kellogg masonic lodge, of which he is now junior steward. His parents were Presbyterians, and his religious sympathies are with that faith. In 1879 he was united in marriage to Mary, daughter of James and Jane Carpenter, all of New York. Mrs. La Rue was born in Madison county. One son has been given to this union, born April 25, 1880, and christened William J.
La Rue, George S., (page 1102) the druggist, bookseller and grocer of Plainview, Minnesota, came and, with his parents, settled about two miles west of the present village in the year 1861. He is a native of Canada, where he was born in the year 1851, and whence, while young, he was by removal of his parents taken to Wisconsin. Here in Dodge county, near Waupun, he attended public school, and at the age of ten years moved westward to his present place of business. His business life was commenced as apprentice in drugs to T. G. Bolton, the pioneer druggist of Plainview, with whom he continued for a year and a-half, until, associating with himself some leading members of the community, he was enabled to buy out his boss, in common parlance, and assume the responsibility of the business of the new house under the firm name of G. S. La Rue & Co. This he continued successfully, and sold out his interest in 1878 to Goddard & Co., to enter as partner with Amerland in the banking business under the firm of Amerland & La Rue, bankers. At the end of eighteen months he disposed of this interest to Judge Wording, for the purpose of re-entering in 1880 his former line of drugs, which he did by purchasing stock and fixtures of Goddard & Co., which he now conducts with energy and ability, rendering to every customer a proper equivalent for all monetary exchanges. Mr. La Rue enjoys the full rights of the order of A.F.A.M., and a growing reputation for excellence in goods and square dealing in trade. He was married in Elgin, Minnesota, to Mary D. Woodruff, of that place, and has one daughter, born April 15, 1881.
Laurence, J. G., (Wabasha Mill Co., Chap. 36 of the 1884 book) president of the Wabasha Mill Company, is a native of Syracuse, New York, where he was born May 1, 1836. In 1862 he came to Wabasha county and opened a farm of eleven hundred acres five miles southeast of town, at what is now known as Midland Junction, the intersection of the Midland railroad with the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul. This farm Mr. Laurence continues to operate, growing grain and raising stock, of which latter there are at present on the ranch forty head of cattle, three hundred hogs, twenty head of horses and five hundred sheep. Mr. Laurence has been more or less in public life since removing to the county. He was elected county commissioner in 1864, serving two terms; was register of deeds from 1872 to 1875; was elected a member of the state senate in 1880 and re-elected in 1882; and is now serving his third term as mayor of the city of Wabasha. That he has been thoroughly identified with all the interests of the city, its railroads, improvements, industries, etc., will be fully apparent on reading the history of the various enterprises in which he has taken part. Mr. Laurence was married June 6, 1872, to Miss Alice G. Wyman, of Wabasha. They have two children: W. Hamilton, born February 24, 1875, and C. Wyman, born November 25, 1879.
Lawrence, Benjamin, (page 949) was born October 16, 1813, at Freetown, Bristol county, ten miles east of New Bedford, Massachusetts. He was the son of Spencer and Mary P. Lawrence, who, when Benjamin was seven years old, moved to Plainfield, Vermont, in the year 1820. He had little opportunity to acquire an education. In reciting poetry it would be difficult to find his match, his memory is so true. At the age of twenty, for four weeks and for the last time in his life, he attended school at Marshfield, Vermont, while working as a farmer. The next summer he worked at farming near Bangor, Maine, and during the winter in an iron foundry in High street, Providence, Rhode Island, which he continued for the next two years. In 1837 he went to Van Buren county, Iowa, then part of the territory of Wisconsin. To reach this he started with an emigrating company of Freethinkers, led by Abnon Neeland, editor of the Boston "Investigator." He returned to Montpelier, Vermont, where, through the summer, he worked on a farm. and the following year was employed in Fairbank (scales) foundry. In 1855, with A. P. Foster and others, he came to Plainview. He left immediately to settle his business in Vermont, and returned for a permanency in October of the same year. His lifetime has been one of continuous hard work, being known to have repeatedly worked drawing stakes, etc., as early as two and three o'clock in the morning. His ambition for business life prompts him now, even in his feeblest moments, at the age of threescore and ten, to entertain prospects and devise plans for building a gristmill, hauling ten thousand feet of lumber, etc. He was the first overseer of the poor by appointment of the board of supervisors, May, 1858. It was Uncle Ben, as he is now styled, who, with A. P. Foster, stopped over night May 31, 1855, while prospecting for a settlement, at Mr. Bryant's, in Elgin, six miles west of the town he helped to found.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Lawson, Herman, (page 1045), president of the village board of trustees, has been a resident of this city since 1858. He is a native of Norway and came to America in 1858, the same year that he located in Read's Landing, and was in the employ of T. B. Wilson until the breaking out of the war of the rebellion in the spring of 1861. April 20 he enlisted for the three-months service in Co. I, 1st Inf. regt. Minn. Vols., and was mustered in at Fort Snelling on the 29th of that month. Before proceeding to the seat of war the members of the regiment were given their choice, either to be mustered out of service or enlist for the term of three years. The majority re-enlisted, Mr. Lawson among the rest, and he was with the gallant First during all the glorious services rendered the government during its continuance in the field. Mr. Lawson was severely wounded at the first Bull Run battle, but was never absent from the regiment, being in regimental hospital, and as soon as possible joined his command. He also received two slight wounds at Gettysburg, but not of sufficient severity to compel him to leave the field. Returning home at the close of his service, he entered the house of Knapp, Stout & Co., as clerk, remaining until 1869. Since then he has been in lumber business, coupling by contract principally, taking out cordwood in winter, etc. February 7, 1868, he married Minnesota Morse, generally, but erroneously, considered the first white child born in Wabasha county, the Morse's being among the very earliest settlers in this region. They have one child, William, born January 16, 1870.
Lee, Van Ransalaer, (page 1113) veterinary surgeon, Lake City, is a grandson of Ephraim Lee, who entered the colonial army at seventeen and served through the revolutionary war. Ephraim Lee was born in New York, of Virginian parents, and moved to Canada when James - his son, the father of this subject - was three years old. James Lee grew up in Canada, married Elizabeth McVeigh, and settled on a farm in her native town, Elizabeth, Leeds county, Ontario, where V. R. Lee was born in March 1817. Schools were few and primitive in that region and period, and our subject reached the age of seventeen with very little book culture. His parents then removed to Ohio, and when eighteen he set out to make his own way in the world. For some years he was employed as teamster and in various kinds of labor. In 1844 he opened a livery stable at Milan, Ohio, and began the practice of his profession, which his father had followed and taught him. By study he has improved upon his old practice, and has followed the homoeopathic system twenty-four years. In 1854 he moved with a team from Milan to La Crosse, and came to Lake City in the fall of 1863. His practice is successful and he is widely known. For two years he kept the Lyon House, the leading hotel, and was landlord of the Sherman House, now burned, five years. In theological views Mr. Lee is a confirmed Universalist, and politically has always been a republican. He has been twice married: in 1844 to Wealthy A. Emerson, who died childless seven years later; in 1852 to Elizabeth daughter of Asher Chapman, both born in Amherst, New Hampshire. Three children have been given to the latter union. The eldest, Charles H., is in Minneapolis; the youngest, Marian Wealthy, keep house for her father. Francis is his father's assistant in business. In the fall of 1882 the mother of these children passed away and calmly waits their coming on the other shore.
Note From Fellow Genealogist: Dear Barbara: I thank you very much for your time and the information on V. R. Lee. Ephraim Lee is Van Lee's grandfather. I have information on this family that dates back to the 1600's RI. Van is the oldest of 15 children. Van Ransalaer Lee died April 22, 1888 in Lake City, Wabasha Co., MN. His wife, Elizabeth D. Chapman, died November 10, 1882 in Lake City, Wabasha Co., Co. MN. Deforest Lee, not mentioned above, was born about 1856 in Ohio or Wisconsin. He is the son of Van Lee and Elizabeth D. Chapman Lee. He is listed in the Wabasha Co., Deaths. He died December 16, 1876 in Lake City, Wabasha Co., MN. Not sure how he was related. Shirley
Ley, Joseph (page 1238), farmer, Watopa, is a native of Luxemburg, Germany, born July 1, 1850. Peter and Mary Ley, his parents, came to America in 1852, and after a residence of three years in Illinois came to Glasgow, this county. Here Mrs. Ley died February 24, 1856, and the father afterward married Catharine Fisch, under whose care our subject was brought up. He attended school a very little after he was eleven years of age, and assisted his father on the farm. The latter now resides at Brownsville, Houston county this state. In 1871 Joseph Ley and Eliza Shearts were united in marriage. Mrs. Ley is a native of Bohemia, and of about the same age as her husband. Their children were christened Mary, Frank, Joseph, John, Peter and Bertha. In 1871 Mr. Ley purchased a farm of eighty acres in the town of Pepin, which he tilled till 1877. He then sold and bought his present farm, embracing one-fourth of section 18. All are communicants in highland Catholic church. Mr. Ley affiliates with the democratic party in politics.
Leininger, Benjamin F., (page 1181) jeweler, of Plainview, was born August 8, 1847, of farmer parents, in Green county, Ohio. He received a country school education. Most of his youth was spent near Elkhart, Indiana. At the age of nineteen he entered the employ of Michael Trubi, an Elkhart jeweler, of whom he learned the trade. Two years later he went to Lincoln, Illinois, and worked at the trade two years. In the fall of 1870 he came to Minnesota and worked at his trade in Eyota and Plainview for a few months, and then bought the Plainview jewelry store of Mr. Brown, and has since continued business in this town, where he now owns a residence and business block. October 1, 1874, he was married to Helen Smith, daughter of Milton Smith, Esq., of Plainview. Three children have been born to them, namely, Darwin, Milton and Frederick.
Leininger, J., (page 1173), the only jeweler in Plainview, started business in the fall of 1870. He belongs to Redwing Association, is married and has three children.
Lenhart, Lewis Y., (page 1037) owner and commander of the ferryboat Pepin, now plying between Lake City and various points on the Wisconsin shore. The captain was born in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, in 1852, and is a son of Herman and Hannah (Schrecongast) Lenhart, both natives of Pennsylvania, and of pure German extraction, the family name originally being Leonhardt. Herman Lenhart was by trade a millwright, and built the first flourmill in Menomonee, Wisconsin, though he was principally engaged in school-teaching in his native state. In 1857 he came west with his family, and settled near the shore of the beautiful Lake Pepin, on the Wisconsin side, where he died on his farm in 1880. He was an active and energetic man, whose influence for good was felt by those with whom he was surrounded, though he was unassuming and reticent. His widow still resides on the old estate. The captain began life on the river in 1868 as a hand, but has worked his way up to his present enviable position. Six years prior to his ownership of the ferry, he run on the river with the Hon. Nathan Murry.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Lewis, John H., (page 1058) plumber and dealer in pumps; shop on Second street, just west of Pembroke. This business has been established in this city since 1870, and employs from two to four persons. Mr. Lewis was born in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, November 5, 1825; bred to the tin and coppersmith's trade, at which he spent his time working in his native state and in Ohio until 1856, when he came to this section of the northwest, and settled at North Pepin in Wisconsin. Remaining there three years, he removed to Wabasha in 1859, and , with the exception of two years spent in the western part of the county, this city has since been his home, Mr. Lewis was in the service of the United States during the late war as a private in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art. In 1870, continued confinement at the tinner's bench having rendered outdoor work a necessity, he took up his present business, and has now prosecuted it thirteen years. Mr. Lewis was married September 21, 1848, at Zanesville, Ohio, to Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. James Gurley, of the North Ohio conference of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their children are: Lucy, Arthur, Ida, Marshall, Clara.
Lifrige, Nicholas, (page 1183) farmer, Chester, was born near Arlow, Belgium, September 20, 1848. He attended school till twelve years old, and then engaged in farm labor. He came here in 1871, and was employed as a farm laborer for some time. He soon bought one hundred and sixty acres on section 19, where he now lives. He has at present a fine farm of three hundred acres, on which he has placed good buildings, at a cost of fifteen hundred dollars. In 1883 he raised fourteen hundred and forty bushels of wheat, ten hundred of barley and six hundred and twenty-five of oats. He was married in 1878, to Annie Fleming, born of German parents at Shakopee, this state. Their children were born and christened as follows: Andrew, September 17, 1879; Susan, March 30, 1881; Peter, December 21, 1882. All have been baptized in the Catholic church.
Lincoln, Dr. W. L., (page 1029) office corner of Main and
Alleghaney streets, upstairs, has been a practicing physician in this city for
over twenty-six years. Dr. Lincoln is a native of West Townsend, Middlesex
county, Massachusetts; born August 5, 1824, and received his classical
education at the Ashley Academy in his native town, and at New Ipswich Academy
in New Hampshire, completing his course at the latter institution in 1846. He
read for his profession in the University of Harvard, and graduated from the
medical department of that university in the class of 1850. Having completed
his preparation, Dr. Lincoln located for practice at Winchendon, Worcester,
Massachusetts, and was in practice there until he came west in 1854. In
October of that year he accepted a position as one of the medical staff of the
hospital for the insane, located in Calloway county, Missouri, just across the
river from Jefferson City, and remained there until April 1857, when he
discontinued his services at the hospital, and shortly afterward located for
practice in this city. The doctor is a member of the County and State Medical
Societies, and is the present president of the latter body, having been
elected to that honorable position at the annual meeting held in Minneapolis,
June 18, 1883. The doctor is also a permanent member of the American Medical
Association. Dr. Lincoln was married in 1855. He has one son, Wm. H., born
January 2, 1857, and graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, class of
1881, and is now established in practice in Chicago.
Lindholm, Rev. Sven August, (page 1324) pastor of the Swedish Lutheran Church, Lake City, was born in the Province of Smaland, Sweden, August 17, 1852. He is the fourth son of Nels Lindholm, a farmer, who died in 1862. His mother, Sarah Maria (Peterson) Lindholm, still resides on the old Sweden homestead with her oldest son. After attending the parish schools (which were of high grade) till the age of fourteen, he spent a little over two years in private study under the learned Professor Wellertz in the Parish of Morlunda. This study was principally devoted to the languages. In 1869 he emigrated to America, sailing from Oscarshamn, April 26, in the old steamship Northern Light. The same spring he went to DeKalb, Illinois, where he remained till the fall of 1870, working on a farm and attending school; at that date he came to Minnesota and entered the St. Ausgar's Academy, in Carver county, where he pursued the common English branches and languages till 1873 when he returned to Illinois and entered the Augustana College and Theological Seminary from which he was ordained at the annual convention of the Swedish Lutheran Synod assembled at Princeton, Illinois, in Jun, 1878, by the synod's president, Rev. E. Norelius. His first ministerial duties were performed in Southern Dakota, whence he came to Lake City in June, 1879. He was married June 25, 1878, in Chicago, to Miss Hilda A. Cedar, a native of Norkoping, Swedin. Their two children are named August Fridolf J. and Augusta Alfreda.
Link, John, (page 970) was born in England, September 21, 1820. In 1854 he came with his family to this country, and settled for three years in Ogle county, Illinois. In the fall of 1856 he came to Wabasha county, and after taking a claim in Gillford township returned for the winter to Illinois. On April 18, 1857, Mr. Link and family arrived at their new home, or rather the place where their home was to be, for there was nothing but the wide fields and the open sky to welcome them. In course of time, patient and persevering toil surmounted pioneer difficulties, for house and barn were soon erected, and the land yielded large crops of grain. Mr. Link now owns two hundred acres of tillable, well improved land on section 24, besides other property elsewhere. He was married February 17, 1848, to Margarette Lewis, and five children have been born to them, four of whom are living.
Lont, Elijah, (page 955 ~ deceased) was one of the pioneers of Mazeppa, and died in the village March 15, 1878. He was born in Root, Montgomery county, New York. About 1842 he moved to Madison county, where he married Martha A. Conick. She preceded him to the other shore several years, departing May 4, 1873. Both were Spiritualists, and firm in their faith to the last. Mr. Lont was a farmer, and a man of sterling integrity. His whole life was a temperance lecture, and he died regretted by all. He became a citizen of Mazeppa in the fall of 1855, and passed the remainder of his days here. Two children survive him, Stephen O., and Electa, wife of Evander Skillman.
Lont, Dr. Ostrom Stephen, (page 986) Mazeppa, is a native of New York, born in Lebanon, Madison county, in 1821. He dwelt here with his parents till eighteen years of age, and received in the common schools the rudiments of an education. He early became imbued with the idea that the practice of medicine opened to a man wide opportunities for benevolence, and possessing a natural aptitude and love for the profession, he entered the office of Dr. V. H. Van Vleck, at Hamilton, in his native county, to perfect himself by combined study and practice for his chosen profession. Having no means he was compelled to pay his way while studying by waiting upon his preceptor, working in the harvest field, and performing any odd service that came to his hand. Though to many his lot seemed hard, the young student was happy in the consciousness of doing his best, and in the preparation for a noble profession and useful life. No doubt his happiest days were those spent in this manner. So closely did he apply himself that he was licensed to practice at the end of two years' study, with Dr. Van Vleck. His license was issued by the Botanical Medical Society of New York, and when the Physio-Medical College of Cincinnati was founded by this society he received his diploma. He had at this time been practicing medicine four years, having begun when about twenty-three years old, at West Burlington, Otsego county. Here he continued to practice till 1856, when he removed to Mazeppa. For two or three years during the war he dwelt on a farm in Chester, and with this exception his home has been in this village since his arrival here. He has a pleasant home on First street, facing the river, where himself and faithful helpmeet dwell in contentment, and the love and respect of their neighbors. Their marriage occurred on Christmas day, 1850. Mrs. Lont was christened Melissa A., and is a sister of W. D. Angell, who parentage is elsewhere shown in this work. To his worthy wife Dr. Lont owes and ascribes much of his success in life. The trials and triumphs of their journey have been equally shared, and all important moves, financial or otherwise, have been made after mutual consultation. They adopted and reared to maturity an orphan boy, Willis A., born Rogers, now Lont, who is at present employed in a mill at Prague, this state. This worthy couple is now furnishing a home to Harry E. Jamieson, who will probably remain with his foster-parents to be the stay of their old age. Dr. Lont is a man of decided character, and has made some enemies by his firm stand in defense and advocacy of principles he deems right. Nothing which does not seem to him likely to promote the welfare of his fellow-men can receive his sanction or support. Nothing could conduce more to his enjoyment than to see the rest of the world happy. He is a staunch temperance advocate, having imbibed a hatred of the course of intemperance at his mother's knee. In theology he is a modern Spiritualist, believing and teaching that all men will occupy in the next world the state for which their education and occupations in this have fitted them. In early life he denied and vehemently combated the idea that slavery was a divinely-appointed institution. He helped to organize the liberty party in New York State, and continued there to labor for freedom until the republican party succeeded it. For twenty years he has enjoyed the realization of his political hopes and desires in the triumph of the latter. He has been active in promoting the welfare of his own neighborhood, and has been many times honored by his fellow-citizens in filling positions of responsibility. From 1861 to 1864 he served as supervisor in Chester, and was instrumental in relieving that town of a draft. He has been two years chairman of the Mazeppa town board, four years village justice, and served six years in the latter capacity in Chester and Mazeppa townships. In his practice he enjoys the most amicable relations with neighboring physicians, whom he often meets in council He has been twice elected president of the Wabasha County Medical Society. While his library is not a very extensive one, it contains standard works of all schools. Anything new of undoubted authority is at once secured by him, and he is thus able to keep up with the times.
Loucks, Fred C., (page 1214) well driller, is a son of William and Susan L. Loucks, of New York, and was born in South Grove, Walworth county, Wisconsin, April 20, 1853. In 1865 his father removed to Fillmore county, in this state, and still resides there. Here Fred was reared on a farm, and received a good common-school education. In 1876 he began the business of drilling wells and dealing in pumps, making his headquarters at Spring Valley. In 1877 he removed to Mazeppa, and is now engaged in the sale of windmills and pumps. He has recently purchased ninety-five acres of land lying near the village, in Zumbrota and Chester townships, but continues to reside in Mazeppa. On September 18, 1879, he was married to Carrie, daughter of Jacob Stull, of Mazeppa. They have one daughter, christened Edith Pearl, born July 1, 1882. Mr. Loucks' religion is the golden rule. His political principles are those of the republican party.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Low, Dr. Q. A., (page 1188) office corner Main and Alleghaney streets, over Jewell's hardware store. Practice was established in this city ten years since. Dr. Low is a native of Vermont. He came west with his parents in 1860, the family settling in Wiscoy township, Winona county, Minnesota. Dr. Low spent his early years on the farm, and at eighteen enlisted in 2d Minn. Cav., and was with his regiment, from the fall of 1864, on duty at the frontier until he was mustered out of service at the close of war. Returning home, he soon afterward entered Hamlin University, Redwing, Minnesota, where he pursued his studies four years. He then studied for his profession, reading for three years in the office of Drs. Richardson & Staples, of Winona, during which time he attended two courses of lectures at the University of Michigan. His concluding course was taken at Long Island College Hospital, from which institution he took his degree of M.D., class of 1873. During that time he also took a special course of operative surgery, for which he received a diploma on the same year. Returning to this state, the doctor located for practice in this city, December, 1873. Dr. Low is a member of the county, state and American medical associations, the latter a national body, and has been treasurer of the Wabasha County Medical Society since 1877. January 24, 1875, Dr. Low married Miss C. E. Finch, of Hennepin county, Minnesota.
War of 1812
Lowe, Charles Carroll, (page 1310) retired farmer, Lake City, is a native of the State of Maine, where he was born November 20, 1832. He is the son of Ivory and Fannie (Colcord) Lowe, natives of the same state, of English extraction, and the former a soldier in the war of 1812. They reared a family of fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters, of whom our subject was the sixth son and twelfth child. He was reared on the farm with common school advantages till the age of nineteen, when the family (for educational facilities) removed to Waterville in the same state, where he entered the Waterville Academy, now the Coburn Institute. Her he pursued a preparatory course three years, after which he entered the Colby University in the same city, from which he graduated with the class of 1856, receiving the degree of bachelor of arts, and subsequently (1860) the degree of master of arts. In the fall of 1856 he came to Minnesota, and immediately located in Gillford township, pre-empting the N.E. 1/4 of section 8, where he continued to reside up till April, 1882, when he removed to his pleasant and substantial home on Prairie, between Walnut and Doughty streets, Lake City. During his many years' residence in Gillford, Mr. Lowe was almost continuously called to positions of official trust-positions his education, good judgment and executive ability eminently fitted him for. The official records of the town show him to have been town clerk, assessor, justice of the peace, and chairman of the board of supervisors, as well as to have been identified with the educational interest of the township. He was married at Rushford, New York, March 18, 1872, to Miss Julia Hellen McCall, of that place. Their only child, Herbert, was born in this county in July, 1879. They also have an adopted daughter, aged twelve years. Mr. Lowe is a member of the Masonic fraternity of this city, and an active business gentleman.
Luger Brothers (page 1088) the founders and principal stockholders of the company (Luger Furniture Company, the description of which can be found on Chapter 36 of the 1884 book), were originally from Voralberg, Tyrol, Europe. There were eight brothers of them practical cabinetmakers, and those who have become residents of Wabasha emigrated to America in 1854, and were for six years in Dubuque, Iowa, before locating in this city.
Lutz, William B., (page 1326) contractor and builder, Lake Ciry, is a native of Pennsylvania and was born at Reading, June 16, 1828. Mr. Lutz' progenitors on both sides were descendants of the early German settlers of that State, and he still retains in a marked degree the characteristics of his Teutonic ancestors. His early education was such as the common schools of his native state afforded until he entered upon his trade at sixteen. Completing his trade (that of mason), he followed the business in the east till 1850, when he went to St. Louis, Mo., where he engaged in building two years and returned home. September 7, 1852, he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Evans, of Evansburg, Penn. Her parents were foreign born, the father, Thomas O. Evans, in Wales, and the mother , Mary Brawley, in Ireland. The parents of Mr. Lutz were John and Margaret (Briner) Lutz. In 1855 he emigrated to the territory of Minnesota and settled in the little trading post of Wabasha in the county bearing the same name. A month later his wife followed him to their new home, making the entire trip by water, occupying a period of twenty-four days. Mr. Lutz has principally followed the business of contracting and building since his residence in this county, though a portion of his time has been devoted to municipal, county and legislative affairs. He was early a member of the town guard of Wabasha, served as sheriff of the county and two terms in the legislature, and has also occupied an alderman's seat on the Lake City council since his removal here in 1864. The names of their living children are Thomas, Lewis, Mary L., Margaret E., Emily J. and William H. They are members of the Catholic church and he is a staunch supporter of the principles of Democracy.
Lyon, William H., (page 1319) is one of the
substantial farmers of Elgin, is a
son of English parents-John and Ann (Hinslea) Lyon-and was born in East
Bloomfield, New York, on the first day of the year 1837. When he was but five
years old, his parents removed to Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, where he grew
up on a farm and received a fair education at the district school. He became
the possessor of a small farm there, but soon decided to go where land was
cheaper and secure a larger one. He came to Elgin in the fall of 1867, and
bought two hundred acres, part of which lies in Plainview Township. The
Whitewater crosses his farm, and he has abundance of timber. Both stock and
grain raising occupy his attention, and he is very successful. Mr. Lyon is a
member of Plainview Masonic Lodge, and a Republican in political preference.
He has served three years as town supervisor. In 1864 he married Sarah Batson,
who was born in New York, April 12, 1841. The living issue of this union have
been named thus: Nellie, Emma B., John B., Charles G., and Ethel Maud. The
first-born, Hattie R., died in the fall of 1882, aged sixteen.