Maire, Theodore (page 1033 ~ deceased) was born in France in the year 1819. He
was always accustomed to farm life. On reaching manhood he set out to make a
home thousands of miles from his native place, in America. After spending a
year at St. Louis, he tarried many years near Galena, Illinois. Here he was
married, in the fall of 1848, to Adeline Gambier, a native of the same sunny
land as himself. After marriage he worked land, and came to Minnesota in the
spring of 1857, to secure land of his own. He took a claim on section 28,
Chester, where he remained the balance of his life, passing away December 3,
1876. He left eighty acres of land, on which his widow and younger children
now reside. There are nine of the latter now living, two having died young.
Their names and residence are here given: Charles J., Mazeppa; Rosa (Mrs. Nick
Clemens), Central Point; Josephine (Mrs. Fletcher Sheldon), Mazeppa; Margaret
(Mrs. James Hinds), this town; Sarah (Mrs. Thomas King), Lake City; Frederick,
Della, Addie, Mary, Emma, Jacob T. and William are at home. All the family
are Roman Catholics.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Majerus, Nicholas J., (page 1138) has made his home in Minnesota since 1860, three years being spent in the service of his adopted country. He was born near the city of Luxemburg, September 29, 1839. On the day that he was eight years old, his parents landed in New York, and he was reared on a farm in Wyoming county, that state. In 1860 he went to Michigan, and after staying there a short time, came to Red Wing, where he made his home till he entered the army. On August 16, 1862, he enlisted in Co. G., 7th Minn. Inf., under Capt. Williston, and served three years and one day. For fourteen months the regiment was employed in fighting the Indians, and saw some lively skirmishing. In October, 1863, it joined the army of the Tennessee, and was active in several hard-fought battles. Among the principal ones were those of Tupelo, Tallehatchie, Nashville, and the Mobile forts. While in the army, he bought eighty acres of land in Belvidere, Goodhue county, but sold this on his discharge, and bought a quarter-section in Chester, on which he lived two years. After a residence of one and one-half years in Lake City, he became a resident of Mazeppa, in 1873. He bought the building on the corner of First and Walnut streets, where he is now in business, on July 28, that year, and moved here with his family next day. He is now the owner of two residences beside. He was married November 3, 1869, to Annie K. Groff, a native of the same locality as himself. They have four children, whose names are: Clara G., Mary A., Justina and Ellora. Mr. Majerus was reared in the Roman Catholic church. Has always voted the republican ticket. He is a member of the Masonic and Odd-Fellows' lodges in Mazeppa.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Marshall, Andrew, (page 1130) restauranteur, is a self-made man. His father, John Marshall, emigrated from England and settled in Boston, Massachusetts. Here he married Mary Patton, a native of that city, and here was born to him the son whose name heads this sketch, on October 24, 1832. When Andrew was but ten years old, both his parents died, and from that time he cared for himself. He drifted to the south, and passed much time along the Mississippi river, earning his livelihood by any employment his hands could find. At one time he was tempted, by liberal wages, to work in a saloon, but he soon became disgusted with the company this forced him to keep, and he threw up his situation. Notwithstanding the snares that surround a life such as was his, Mr. Marshall contracted no bad habits, and suffers no regrets on that score. Since his arrival in Mazeppa his fortunes have somewhat advanced, and he is contented. On account of exposure while in the army, his eyesight was very materially injured, and entirely lost for over a year, but he contrived to earn a livelihood and has always been independent. On account of the loss of educational opportunities he was unable to take up a profession, and when about twenty-one years of age took up the cooper's trade, which he followed nearly all the time till quite recently. For five successive summers he sailed on Lake Michigan, working at his trade during the intervening winters. In 1860 he was wrecked with a 'hooker,' which he owned and intended to take through by way of the Fox, Wisconsin and Mississippi rivers to New Orleans. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in the 11th Wis. Vol. Inf., and was assigned to Co. K. This regiment served as skirmishers for the western army, most of the time in Missouri and Arkansas. In 1863 he was discharged on account of disability, and was laid up nearly a year at Neenah, Wisconsin, by blindness. When the inflammation of his eyes was partially relieved, his wife was accustomed to lead him to a cooper-shop, where he managed to earn enough to keep the wolf from their door. In 1865 he became a resident of Mazeppa, working at first for Ambrose Ambler, proprietor of the Mazeppa mill. For three years he worked at Forrest Mills, and entered the employ of the Mazeppa Mill Company on its accession to the mill property here. In 1883 he opened a restaurant on First street, and is doing a fair business. He has been the owner of a residence here nearly ever since his arrival. As a just reward for the sacrifices made in its service, the United States government has granted him a pension. Mr. Marshall is a member of the Mazeppa Masonic lodge. He is a thorough republican, and orthodox in religion. He was married in February, 1857, to Emaretta Francisco, of Spanish and French parentage, born in Indiana. Their two children are at home, and were born as noted opposite their names: Warren, December 14, 1864; Mary, January 1, 1868.
Marshall, Joseph W., (page 1025) the subject of our present sketch, is one of the most prosperous farmers and stock-raisers in Wabasha county. He is the son of I. P. and Isabel (Wilson) Marshall, of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and was born on a farm in that county October 5, 1831. The Marshalls came from Vermont and the Wilsons from Pennsylvania. Mr. Marshall came to Wabasha county in company with F. L. Meachum in the spring of 1857, and located a claim on section 3, in Elgin township. He has since disposed of this land and purchased a farm of two hundred and forty acres adjoining, on which he now resides. Since 1880 he has engaged extensively in the dairy and stock-raising business, and has also been connected with Mr. Meachum in the buying and shipping of live stock. Just prior to his removal from the east he was married, on April 6, 1857, to Miss Elizabeth Cram, daughter of Humphrey Cram, Esq., a Crawford county, Pennsylvania, farmer, by whom he has had sixteen children, all of whom are now living, as follows: Cloe A. (Mrs. Adolph D. Haltzer, farmer), of Oakwood township; Murray A., residing in Plainview; Otis H., of Oakwood; Abel A., of Plainview; Alice I. (Mrs. E. G. Meachum), of Elgin township; Ever E., Elmer, Olney, Hattie, Grace, Maud, Mary, Layton, Arthur, Charley, and a female child not yet named. Mr. Marshall is a democrat in politics and was a charter-member of Plainview Lodge No. 63, A.F.A.M.
Martin, Henry, (page 1054) farmer, was born in 1833, in Ireland. He is second son of Edward and Bridget Martin, both of Ireland. When about twenty-one years of age he came to New York, and spent two years there and in Massachusetts. He then came to Wisconsin, farmed about three years, then he came to his present farm of two hundred and forty acres of fine land, traversed by the Zumbro valley. He is one of Oakwood's wealthiest farmers. He has always been a democrat in politics. He is one of our first settlers and enterprising citizens. He was married in 1864, to Bridget Fehan, of Ireland. They have eight children.
War of 1812
Martin, John A., (page 1011) millwright, Mazeppa, is a grandson of John Martin, of Delaware. His father, John Martin, served as a United States marine in the war of 1812, and married Catharine Portman, also native of Delaware. This couple settled in Russelsburg, Warren county, Pennsylvania, where was born to them the subject of this mention, on September 11, 1828. He was reared on a farm on the Conewango river, two miles from a school. He had no opportunity to attend school after fourteen years old, being then employed in a sawmill. Having a natural taste for mechanical labor, he soon became skilled in the use of tools. His father was a lumberman, and he had good opportunities for practice. Mrs. Martin was born and reared within half a mile of her husband, and was united to him in marriage October 15, 1852. Her father, E. W. Chase, was a native of New York, and she was christened Mary Jane. After spending a short time in Michigan, he arrived in Mazeppa in September, 1856, where his home has been ever since. After working a short time at St. Anthony, he returned for his family. Coming up the Mississippi on the Lady Franklin, the vessel sunk at Prairie du Chien, but they escaped without loss, and arrived in Red Wing, in December. For a year or two Mr. Martin operated the sawmill here. In the summer of 1857 he built a house on First street, in which he dwelt several years. Next year he bought a farm in Zumbrota township, near this village, and now has ninety acres of land. His present residence on the corner of Broadway and Cherry streets, where he has four lots, was built by him in 1862. He has built or repaired mills at Lodi, Pine Island, Oronoco, Zumbro Falls, Forest Mills, and numerous other points. He is a firm and enthusiastic democrat, and served as postmaster at Mazeppa throughout Buchanan's administration. His religious sympathies are with the Universalists. He has superintended a great many funerals. He is very fond of hunting, which he has pursued from boyhood, capturing a great many deer. His field has extended from Pennsylvania to Montana, and he visits the latter territory often now. His children were born and christened as follows: October 15, 1854, Emmagene (Mrs. Fred C. Hollenbeck, Bismarck, Dakota Territory); April 15, 1857, Arthur, now at Brainerd, Minnesota; January 18, 1870, Carribelle, home.
Martin, James P., (page 1155) Lake City, is a native of St. Lawrence county, New York, and was born October 31, 1845. He is a son of James and Catharine (Gorman) Martin, who were also born in the State of New York, of Irish ancestry. Mr. Martin was reared on a farm, where his early youth was spent at school and agricultural pursuits. A few years of his early manhood was employed in driving stage. He was married to Miss Julia F. Hart, a native of St. Lawrence county, New York, in 1868, and in the spring of the same year came to Lake City, and the same year took position as foreman in the large livery and sale stable of Mr. W. E. Perkins. He is still with Mr. Perkins, and is interested with him in introducing some very fine and valuable fast horse stock in this county, among them some of the best blood for trotting in the United States. In 1878 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in Chester, which he rents. Mr. Martin has three children, Lizzie May and Willie J. (twins) and Frank, in attendance at the city schools.
Martin, James M., (page 1176) the senior member of the firm (Martin & Greer), was born in Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, October 10, 1851. His parents, James M. and Emily (Alexander) Martin, were natives of the same state, and by occupation farmers. Young James occupied his time on the farm and attending the country schools till the age of sixteen, when he entered the Columbia Classical Institute, and diligently pursued his studies four years. In 1871 he came to Lake City, and at once took a position in the city schools as assistant superintendent. This position he retained till the close of 1873, when he turned his entire attention to the reading of law, which he previously had begun, in the office of Scott & Hahn. He was admitted to the bar, May 15, 1876, and at once entered the law practice, forming a business partnership with his brother-in-law, Hon. W. J. Hahn. They opened a branch office at Wabasha, which he conducted till 1881, when Mr. Hahn was appointed to the attorney-generalship of Minnesota. In December of the same year he associated with himself, in the abstract business, Mr. A. J. Greer, who the following May became a full-fledged lawyer. Mr. Martin was married June 12, 1879, to Miss J. (Errata page reads "F.") Maggie Bell, daughter of Prof. John M. Bell, of Mifflin county, Pennsylvania, and has two children: James M. and Vernon Bell. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he is prominently connected with the Masonic fraternities of the city.
Martin, William, (page 1321) farmer, son of Hugh and Rachel Martin, was born in March, 1823, in Richland county, Illinois. His parents were natives of Ohio, coming to the birthplace of our subject in 1818 where eight children were born, he being the third. When he was seven years of age his parents moved into Schuyler county, where he was brought up on the farm. In 1840 removed to Montgomery county, Indiana. On reaching his majority he worked at the cooper's trade, and subsequently as plasterer, which he has followed part of the time ever since. In 1868 came to Lake City, where he has resided about seven years in all; the remaining nine years were spent on the farm near town. He married Jane Prior in 1842 and by this union had two children Robert Thomas and Richard. From 1847 to 1848 served in the Mexican War. In 1850, his wife having died, married Lucinda Prior and by this union had six children William, Willard, Sarah, Allen, David and Mattie Bell. In 1880 he married Mrs. Jane Wills; her maiden name was Jane Beatty. Family are members of the Prebyterian Church in Lake City.
Mateer, Thomas, (page 1022) was an old-line whig, and has been a republican ever since the organization of the party. He was born in Ireland, February 15, 1823. He came in company with his brother to America, landed in New York, January 15, 1848. They went from New York to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where Thomas engaged in the Eagle Hotel, and had charge of Eagle Ice Company at the same time in partnership with his cousin, John McMasters. He then was overseer of a lumber yard for two years, and then went to California in 1854, on board the vessel George Law, which was afterward refitted and was then named the Central America, which foundered in the ocean on the very trip Mr. Mateer expected to start for home, but he was detained accidentally and thus missed the boat. After staying in California for three years he then, on April 27, 1857, landed in Read's Landing, this county, and came to Glasgow township, June 15, 1857, to where he now lives. Mr. Mateer was married to Sarah Jane McMasters, a native of Ireland, on April 15, 1857. They have had seven children, five of them still living: Ellen Jane (married Henry Higgins), and lives in Reynolds, Dakota; Charles G., Walter H., Elizabeth (is the wife of William Neal, and now lives in Lyon county, this state); William Stewart is the name of the youngest. Mr. Mateer was the first supervisor of this township, and has been a member of the Presbyterian church for thirty-five years.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Mathews, Augustus, (page 1139) farmer, was born in Sumner, Oxford county, Maine, March 29, 1837. Both his grandfathers were revolutionary soldiers. His father, Winthrop Mathews, was a native of Maine, as was his bride, Miss Mary Barber. Augustus Mathews was reared on a farm, and made good use of the educational facilities afforded by the common schools of the Pine Tree State. At eighteen years of age he took up carpenter work in Massachusetts, leaving home to do so. This trade he followed several years. In April, 1861, at the first call for troops, he responded by enlistment, but his regiment (the 10th Me.) was not mustered in until the following September. He participated in the battles at Winchester, Cedar Mountain, South Mountain and Antietam, beside many less serious engagements. Nearly one-fourth of the regiment was lost at Cedar Mountain, and nineteen of his company of forty-six was lost. In the spring of 1865 Mr. Mathews became a resident of Mazeppa, where he continued to follow his trade, and for three years was engaged in the sale of machinery. He is now a member of the town board of supervisors; is a democrat, and a Universalist. For ten years he resided on a farm of two hundred and forty acres, which he still owns, one mile from Mazeppa village in Zumbrota. In July, 1868, Mr. Mathews was married to Mirnette Woodbury, who died February 25, 1880, leaving two daughters. Here are their names and dates of births: Cora E., November 8, 1875; Susie M., May 14, 1878. On August 26, 1881, these children were provided with a foster-mother in the person of Rhoda B., widow of Anson L. Carrier. (Mr. Carrier was one of the pioneer settlers of Mazeppa, taking a claim in 1855 on section 9, where Mr. and Mrs. Mathews home is now. He was a native of New York, and married Rhoda B. Segar in 1868, having previously married Maria Tibbetts, who died in 1864. Mr. Carrier died June 17, 1878, leaving no offspring. He was a town supervisor at the time of his death, and had held the office several years; was a stanch democrat, and was the candidate of that party for the legislature in 1877. He was defeated by a very few votes, not withstanding the district is strongly republican. During the last six months of the civil war he served in the army.)
Mathews, Lewis B., (page 1140) farmer, is an elder brother of the above (Augustus W. Mathews), and was born October 8, 1832, in the same place (Sumner, Oxford county, Maine), receiving the same training on farm and at school. From seventeen to twenty years of age he followed the sea, the first two years on a Newfoundland fishing craft, and subsequently on a West India coaster. He then spent four years in teaming and express business in Boston. In the spring of 1857 he came to Minnesota, and spent the summer on the government survey in the northern part of the state. The following winter was spent in Mazeppa, and next spring he engaged with the Dakota Land Co., of St. Paul, in locating and platting town-sites. For two winters following he taught the Mazeppa school. The year 1860 was spent in the market at Galena, Illinois. In 1861 he bought forty acres of land in Goodhue county, near Mazeppa, and has ever since followed farming, residing a large part of the time in the village. In 1868 he bought a farm just east of the village, and now has three hundred and sixty acres, all on section 5. He has erected a handsome residence near Trout Brook, with barns and other farm buildings, and is prepared to enjoy life. He was twelve years justice of the peace in this township; was elected assessor in 1864, again in 1868, and continuously ever since. In principle he has always been a democrat. Mr. Mathews was married on Christmas day, 1861, to Miss Adelia M. , daughter of Joseph Ford. Their eldest child, Mina, is now the wife of Charles Walker, and resides at Rockford, Iowa. The rest are at home, christened as below: Addie, Lindsey L., Ettie M., Grace, Acsie and Max.
Maxwell, G., (page 947) contractor and builder, and agent for DeLong & Co., lumber dealers, was born in Franklin county, Massachusetts, August 20, 1829. He acquired a limited education at the common schools, and was apprenticed to the carpenter's trade. Much of his spare time was devoted to the study of mathematics and civil engineering. After learning his trade he worked at it till he was twenty-eight years of age, when, in the spring of 1855 he came to Mazeppa and pre-empted a quarter-section of land in section 29, in the town of Chester, a short distance from Mazeppa. After working his land for a few years he traded it for property in Mazeppa, where he has since resided, and carried on the business of contractor and builder, having erected the greater and finer part of the village, including some four or five churches. In connection with his building operations he and his brother, R. F. Maxwell, run a lumber yard, dealing in such lumber as was in demand, also sash, doors, blinds, building-paper, etc. On the opening of the railroad to this point in 1877 they sold out their lumber business to DeLong & Co., for whom he has since acted as agent. In Chester he was town treasurer two or three terms. He has been county commissioner, and several times town supervisor for Mazeppa. He was the first justice of the peace in Mazeppa and served two terms, and was the first treasurer of the village. In 1877 he was elected to the legislature and served one term.
Maxwell, Roland Frazier, (page 1020) retired farmer, is descended from Scotch ancestors. His grandfather, Benjamin Maxwell, was at the battle of Lexington, and served the colonies throughout the revolutionary war. Winslow, son of Benjamin, was born in Massachusetts, and married Joannah Fairman, a native of Vermont. For many years he tilled a farm in Heath, Franklin county, in the Bay State, where the subject of this sketch was born, June 11, 1829. When he was twelve years old, his father removed to Sunderland, and operated a foundry. Frazier Maxwell attended the common schools till eighteen years old, when he took up painting, and followed that occupation till he came west in 1856. At this time he took up a claim one mile southwest of Mazeppa, and tilled it nine years. He then sold this and bought one hundred and twenty acres lying on sections 19 and 30, Mazeppa, which he now owns. In 1878 he built the fine residence which he occupies, on Cherry Street, Mazeppa, at a cost of two thousand five hundred dollars, and has occupied it ever since. He is now president of the village council, and was several years a member of the town board-part of the time chairman. To his enterprise and public spirit is largely due the present thriving condition of our village and surroundings. Mr. Maxwell is orthodox on religious questions, and is so regarded by the republicans politically. His marriage took place at Oronoco, May 2, 1868, the bride and subsequent faithful helpmeet being Miss Lottie A. Gould, who was born in Atkinson, Maine. Her parents, Otis K. and Charlotte (Brown) Gould, were natives of the same state. The eldest child of Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell, christened Gertrude, is still with them. Two sons, Frederick and Charles, died-the former at six and latter at two years of age.
McArthur, W. S., (page 1110) general cooper factory on Second street, near the Wabasha Milling Company's gristmill. This business was established in 1869, some blocks nearer the business center of the city, and removed to its present location in 1875, at which time the shop was built. The main building is 22 x 60 feet and the storage room is 20 x 50. The business consists principally in the manufacture of flour barrels, butter tubs, and the amber-cane and syrup kegs. The usual number of hands employed is from six to twelve. Mr. W. S. McArthur is a native of Canada, learned his trade there, came direct from that province to Wabasha in 1862, started in business at once, and has now conducted it in this city a little over twenty-one years. In May, 1858, he married Miss Margaret Wilson. They have three children, one of them attending Wabasha city school.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
McBride, John, (page 1093) city justice, was born in Whitehall, Greene county, Illinois, in 1821, hence was one of the pioneer children of that state. His parents, James and Nancy (Taylor) McBride, were natives of Virginia and Kentucky, respectively. The paternal great-grandfather of Mr. McBride, was a native of the Highlands of Scotland, and came to America and visited Kentucky prior to the days of Daniel Boone, the noted Kentucky pioneer. History states that Mr. McBride located his claim by writing his name on a tree, and soon went to Virginia where he settled, and remained till the time of his death. Our subject obtained his education in the pioneer schools of his native state, to which he has, by reading and observation, added liberally. January 24, 1842, he married Mrs. Sinia Smyth, a native of Kentucky, who was then the mother of one son, Charles W. Smyth, elsewhere mentioned in this work. In 1845 Mr. McBride with his family removed to Council Hill, near Galena, Illinois, but soon after went to Miningtown, Wisconsin. In 1857 he removed to Guttenberg, Clayton county, Iowa, where he began the publication of a newspaper, which he removed in 1861 to Lake City, and conducted it as the Lake City "Times" till 1865, when he sold out and entered into mercantile pursuits. In 1877 he was elected city justice, and this position still retains. Mr. McBride has filled many positions of official trust since his residence in Lake City. In 1862 he was appointed notary public, and still holds the commission, and was the same year appointed military commissioner by Gov. Ramsey. During the early part of the late war, was United States recruiting officer, and was for eight years commissioner of deeds for the State of Wisconsin, appointed by Gov. Fairchild. He is now a successful and extensive United States claim agent. He is the father of five children, three of whom are living, Perry P., a compositor, now in St. Paul; J. Albert, a merchant in Millbank, D. T., and Mary E., at home.
Patriot War of 1837
McCarty, Gen. Seth L., (page 995) of Plainview, Wabasha county, is a staunch old pioneer farmer with a career. His father, William McCarty, was a farmer, residing in Muncy, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, where Seth was born June 9, 1808. Here he acquired the rudiments of an education in the common school and continued to reside until his twenty-first year. During two years of this time he worked for John Crouse, cabinetmaker, of Muncy, learning that trade, which he followed in Towanda, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, until the spring of 1832, when he went to Newmarket, Canada, and opened a cabinetshop. He continued in business there until the breaking out of the patriot war in 1837. This war at once furnished him the opportunity that his military nature sought, and he soon found a place on Gen. McKenzie's staff, and was immediately employed to bear dispatches to divers members of the Dominion parliament concerned in the revolt. On his good stout-war-horse he performed this task, that required not a little nerve and energy. Frequently the enemy crowded him in close pursuit, on one occasion forcing him to ride a distance of fifty two miles in six hours, and on another sixty eight miles in eight hours. He was next transferred to Gen. Van Rensselaer's staff, and served under him until the winter of 1837-8, when he was sent to the support of Gen. McClellan, of the western division, and remained with him until the war closed. Gen. McCarty led the forces that stormed and captured Windsor, opposite Detroit, and it was after this battle, in which he displayed great bravery and military genius, that he was raised from the rank of colonel to that of brigadier-general. With the close of this war terminated the active military life of Gen. McCarty. He soon after resigned his commission and removed to Detroit, Michigan, and the following year to Port Huron, in the same state, where he continued to reside until 1855, when he came to Minnesota and located on the S.E. 1/4 of Sec. 21, in Plainview township. Here he has since continued to pursue the even life of a farmer. On one occasion only has the peace been sufficiently disturbed to rouse the old warlike nature in his breast and drive him to the front, and that was during the Indian outbreak which occurred in Minnesota in 1862, though he held a commission as major in the state militia from 1860. Two years after his settlement in Minnesota a postoffice was established at his house under the name of Independence, of which office he was postmaster until it was discontinued in 1862. Gen. McCarty was the first settler in southwest Plainview. He has always affiliated with the democratic party, and is a member of the masonic fraternity. He was married in York county, Canada, to Rebecca McCausland, daughter of James and Anna McCausland, in 1835. They have three children now living, viz: James, a farmer of Plainview township; David, farmer, residing in Winona county; and Mary Ann (Mrs. Samuel Loy) of Spokane county, Washington Territory.
McCarthy, Patrick, (page 1282 ~ deceased) became a permanent resident of Greenfield in 1855, and died there in 1870, aged fifty-six years. Mr. McCarthy was born in the parish of Castle-Connell, County Limerick, Ireland, and was reared on a farm there. On reaching manhood he set out for America, and spent some years in railroad work in New York and at Galena, Illinois. He came up the Mississippi in the spring of 1854, and took up land near what is now Lake City. This he sold in a few weeks, and went back to Galena. Here he was married during the same year to Miss Ann Ryan, who still survives him. Mrs. McCarthy was born in the parish of Marugh, County Limerick. When this couple came to Greenfield they settled on section 26, where they dwelt ten years. Some more land was then acquired by purchase of section 27, where the husband died and the widow now resides with her youngest son. Mr. McCarthy served some years as town supervisor, and was treasurer of his school district for the first fourteen years of its existence. He was always a democrat, as are his sons, and all were baptized in the Catholic church. At his death the father left four hundred and forty one acres of land, which has been equitably divided between the widow and heirs. All the children living were born in this township, James, the eldest, March 5, 1860. He was studious in his habits, and became a proficient penman. In 1880 he went to Chicago, and found employment with the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad Company as waybill clerk. His faithfulness and ability have been appreciated, and he has steadily advanced to his present position as head collector in the city. John, the second son, was born June 15, 1861, and has spent all his life here on the farm. His education was supplied by the common schools of the town, and although equally as capable for business as his brother, has chosen to be his widowed mother's stay. Elizabeth, the youngest child, dwells at home, and is now teaching school at Theilman.
McCrackin, William, (page 944 ~ deceased) is the first man who made any improvements in Glasgow township; he was born in Scotland, August 15, 1815, which was the last day of the great battle of Waterloo. The last of the old family died a few months ago at the advanced age of ninety-six years. Mr. McCracken landed at St. Johns, New Brunswick, April 1, 1841; from there he went to Canada ans lived there for twelve years, and came from there to Glasgow township June 7, 1855. He first lived in an old house near where his house now stands. He was united in marriage, March 24, 1847, in New York. After getting ready to be married the minister they called on to marry them had no license to marry them in Canada, so they crossed over the river into New York and were married. His wife's maiden name was Magadline Scott, a native of the State of Ohio, of Scotch descent. Of the five children of this union but two of them are living. The eldest is Ann, who is the wife of William Jacobs; have three children and live in West Albany township. Hannah married James Gray; have two children and live in West Albany township. Mr. McCracken's wife died June 14, 1857, and was married to Hannah Jacobs in October, 1860; she was a native of Germany. Nine children have been the fruits of this union; six of them still living: Minnie, William, Margaret, Jennie, John and Robert. Mr. McCracken has a farm of two hundred and forty acres, where he lives, and three hundred and twenty acres in a prairie farm. The narrow gauge railroad runs through his home place, the cars of which ran over and killed one of his children (Mary) a few years ago.
McDonald, John (page 1293 ~ deceased) was born and reared in Sligo, Ireland, where he learned the blacksmith's trade. He became a resident of Wabasha in 1856, and after working for Oliver Cratte (whose biography and picture are on this site) some time, he purchased and operated a shop on Alleghaney street. His death occurred May 7, 1879, after a long illness. His age at this time was about sixty years. Previous to coming here he spent several years in Lexington, Kentucky. In March, 1862, he married Miss Mary Agnes Cavanaugh, who was born in Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania, December 25, 1844. On account of his long illness, Mr. McDonald's estate was encumbered with debt, but his widow has become independent by industry and good management. She has a nice home on the corner of Second and Alleghaney streets, and is educating her children well. There are four children, christened John, Katy, Louis and Molly Agnes. The firstborn, Joseph, died at six months of age. All are members in good standing of the Roman Catholic church.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
McDonough, Patrick, (page 1009) Mount Pleasant, was born in County Mayo, Ireland about 1824. When eighteen, he came to the United States and engaged in tailorwork with an elder brother in Shenango county, New York. He came to Mazeppa in the fall of 1856, and secured some land near that village. In partnership with his brother he now owns eighty acres in Zumbrota and a like amount in Mount Pleasant, where he lives. He enlisted February 22, 1862, in Co. H, 5th Minn. regt., and served in the western army. He was an actor in the battles of Vicksburg, Nashville, Corinth, Iuka, Jackson, Champion Hills and the Red River expedition. He was hurt by a fall in the night, but served out his time and was discharged in September, 1865. After the war he spent three years in Swift county, where he took a claim and afterward sold it. Mr. McDonough never married, and resides with a niece, Mrs. McBride. He is a member of Lake City Catholic church and a democrat.
McDonough, Patrick: (page 1281) Patrick McDonough died in the town of Greenfield, March 19, 1883, aged seventy-eight. He was born in Tiernay, County Galway, Ireland, and married Ann Lee, of the same parish, who died there. She was the mother of nine children, two of whom are living. Mr. McDonough afterward married Nappy Sullivan, who died in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1851, three years after the removal of the family to America. Three children were given to the second Mrs. McDonough, but all are now deceased. After some years' residence in Cincinnati, and two years on a farm in Mason county, Kentucky, Mr. McDonough came to Greenfield, and settled on section 31, where he continued to dwell during the remainder of his life. Himself and family were all reared in the Roman Catholic church. The youngest child, Mary, is now the wife of Larry Calhoun, and resides in Wabasha.
McDonough, Miles, (page 1282) son of Patrick, whose sketch appears above, was born in the same parish in 1832 (Tierney, County Galway, Ireland.) His education was supplied by the parish school before he came to America with his father. He was four years employed on Ohio and Mississippi river steamboats, most of the time as watchman. He came to Greenfield with his father, and was his most valuable assistant. Is now the proprietor of six hundred and eighty acres of land, of which three hundred are improved. His products are diversified, embracing both grain and domestic animals. In 1883 his crops included eighteen hundred and twenty-five bushels of wheat, eight hundred and fifty of barley, eight hundred of oats, and forty tons of hay. In 1867 a large and handsome frame house was built, and is now occupied by the family. Mr. M. has been five years school director, and was elected town supervisor in 1879-80-1-2. Ann Flaherty, to whom he was wedded in 1857, is a native of Lettermullin, same county as her husband. They have nine children living. Mary Ann, the eldest, is now Mrs. Edward Drury, and dwells in Wabasha; Nora, Agnes, Edward, Maggie, Katie, Michael, Lydia and Maud are at home. Patrick Henry, the third child, died at St. Francis' Seminary, Milwaukee, October 13, 1879. This was a youth of great promise and had nearly completed the third year of his study for the priesthood at the time of his demise. He was born February 7, 1862, and his early life was passed on his father's farm, and the rudiments of his education were acquired at the common school. He soon developed a rarely intellectual character, and his life was early set apart for the holy calling from which death snatched him. He was a very studious youth, and was a leader in all his classes, and his death was universally regretted by the church in this country.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
McDonough, Thomas, (page 1051) was born in County Galway, Ireland, sometime in the month of December, 1836, and was the seventh child of Bartley and Maria (Hurney) McDonough. When about seventeen he came to America in company with his mother and two sisters. In 1854 or 1855 his father died of yellow fever in Virginia, and his mother, soon after her arrival in America, departed this life at Alexandria, Pennsylvania, in which place the family had located. Thomas worked on public works near this place for a short time and then became a steamboat hand on the river. He also worked on a New Orleans cotton-press for awhile. During his sojourn in this latter city he became acquainted with Mary Malloy, to whom he was married December 27, 1857, this lady being, like himself, a native of Ireland, and the daughter of Charles and Mary (Donlevy) Malloy. The following spring they came to Wabasha county and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres on sections 12 and 13, in Highland township, which was the nucleus of his present possessions, numbering four hundred and forty acres. Of their family of five children four are still living: Mary, born February 21, 1859; Patrick, born February 20, 1862; Bartley, born August 16, 1863, now a clerk in Belvidere, Minnesota; Anthony, born August 4, 1870. During the rebellion Mr. McDonough worked on the government transports. In 1863 Gov. Ramsey commissioned him as second lieutenant of the 8th Minn. Militia. He is also a prominent member of the Father Mathew Total Abstinence Society and of the Highland Catholic church. Is a democrat in politics, and has been five times a member and chairman of the board of supervisors.
McGovern, J. T., (page 1224) county attorney, office on Main street, over Swartz's store. Mr. McGovern is a native of Amboy, Illinois; from 1873 to 1876 pursued his studies at St. Michael's College, Toronto, Ontario, and also at St. Joseph's College, in Dubuque, Iowa. He read law in the office of Allison (now United States senator from Iowa) & Crane, of Dubuque, and entering the law department of the Iowa State University, graduated from that institution, class of 1880, and was admitted to practice in the circuit court at Dubuque. Mr. McGovern then entered the office of Pollock & McNulty, of that city, to acquire practice in the drafting of instruments and papers, and remaining there until his removal to this city in August, 1881. Here he entered into practice as a member of the law firm of Van Horn & McGovern, which continued until Mr. Van Horn's removal to Dakota, in 1882. In the fall of 1882 Mr. McGovern was nominated by the democratic county convention as their candidate for county attorney, and duly elected. His term of office expires December 31, 1885.
McInnery, Patrick M., (page 958) merchant, Lake City, is a native of Mount Rivers, County Clare, Ireland, and was born in 1822. His early boyhood was spent on a farm, after which he received a classical education, which was completed by a collegiate course at Ennis, the seat of government in his native county; soon after he received a government appointment as superintendent of public works. These works were suspended in 1848, and on April 22, 1849, he sailed on the Lady Harvey from Kilrush, on the Shannon, for New York. This bark was commanded by Capt. Douglass, who sailed her safely into New York harbor on the 27th of the following May. The first position of trust filled by Mr. McInerney in the country, was in the Bloomingdale Asylum for the Insane, in the city of New York. This position he resigned in a few months, notwithstanding the many and urgent protestations of Dr. Nickols, who was at that time at the head of that institution, to accept a position as assistant bookkeeper for a large wholesale house in New York city. For a short time in 1851 he was connected with the New York and Erie railway, and in 1852 came to Chicago, to take charge of a construction train on the old Chicago & Galena railroad. He subsequently accepted a position on the Illinois Central railway at Freeport, Illinois. In 1855 he arrived at Pepin, Wisconsin, and there engaged in the transaction of a real-estate business; was postmaster at Pepin during the administration of James Buchanan, and, upon the organization of the county of Pepin, was appointed clerk of the circuit court for the Eighth judicial district. In the fall of 1874 he removed to Lake City, and the next spring embarked in a general merchandise business and is now in trade on Centre street.
McKinney, William, (page 1247) bookkeeper, Minneiska, was born in 1859. His parents names were Charles and Caroline McKinney, and were living at Redfield, Oswego county, New York, at that time. His education was received at the common schools. In 1877 went to New York city, remaining nine months, then came to Minneiska. Since that time has resided in Plainview, Fergus Falls, and other portions of the state, but at present is in the employ of Brooks Bros., as head bookkeeper. In religion he leans toward the Congregational church. Married Mattie A. Burchard, of Plainview. Have one child, Nellie. Mr. McKinney is a man well fitted for the important position which he now fills.
McKenzie, D. M., (page 1087) livery and sale stables, corner Main and Walnut streets. Premises front fifty feet on Main street, running to the river in the rear, with booking office on the corner of Main. This business was established in 1860 where now conducted, and the present stock is fifteen head of horses, and ten buggies and carriages. Two 'buses are run to the trains and the stable force is three men. Mr. McKenzie is a native of Perth, Ontario; came to Wabasha county in 1853 with his parents, who the following year entered the farm on which Ed. Drury is now living, just within the city limits on the east Sec. 4, T. 110, R. 11 W. This farm Mr. McKenzie sold in 1864 and removed to town, having, as before said, previously established himself in livery business. He had the mail contract between this city and Faribault in 1858-60, and in the latter year, in connection with George Hays, took the contract for carrying mail between this place and Rochester, which they held four years, during which time they maintained a passenger stage route. Mr. McKenzie was married in this city in 1861, to Miss Annie C. Campbell. They have seven children, all at home, three of them attending school in this city.
McMillin, James M., (page 1145 ~ deceased), Lake City, was born in Gallia county, Ohio, June 10, 1812. His great-grandfather, while on the way from Scotland to America, was shipwrecked and picked up by a vessel bound to Philadelphia. Two brothers of this ancestor, who were in company with him, were set down in the same way, one in New York and the other in Canada; and not until after the revolution were mutual discoveries of one another's whereabouts made. The Canadian resident entered the British army, and was made prisioner by the continental soldiers, and placed under guard of his brother; and by conversation they discovered each the other's identity. The first mentioned of these brothers settled in Virginia, and was not discovered by the others till later. Samuel McMillin, son of the Virginian Scotchman, served as a soldier in the continental army. Edward, son of the latter, married Sarah Reed, and removed to Ohio in the earliest days of that territory, where was born to him the subject of this paragraph. James M. McMillin was reared on a farm in Huntingdon township, Gallia county, and pursued his father's vocation till 1842. Macinda A., his wife, is a daughter of George and Nancy (Jackson) Stickleman, all of Virginia birth. Mrs. McMillan was born eight months after her husband, in Hottentot, Virginia, and they were united for life December 18, 1833. For six years Mr. McMillin was deputy-sheriff of Whiteside county, Illinois, and was kept constantly traveling in the discharge of his duty. He became a resident of Minnesota in 1862, and was engaged in farming four years in the town of Chester, this county, being postmaster at Bear Valley some time. He also served as justice of the peace during his residence there. The republican party is entitled to the credit of all his public acts. Since 1866 Lake City claimed him as a citizen. On the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding Mr. and Mrs. McMillin celebrated the occasion in a fitting manner, surrounded by their descendants and many old-time friends. They were presented with a handsome sum in gold coin. In religious faith this couple are Universalists. All save two of their children live in the city-the absent one's residence being noted below, the names appearing in order of birth: Alonzo C.; John L.; William Harvey; Samantha J. (Judd); Emma R. (Mrs. Alonzo Mathews), Red Wing; Nancy Celestina (Mrs. W. E. Stringham), Fergus Falls, Minnesota. While splitting wood one evening in January, 1884, Mr. McMillin received a wound in the left eye from a flying stick, and the sight and substance of the optic were entirely destroyed. He appeared to recover steadily from the shock, although in great pain, but suddenly sank and passed away on the morning of February 17. He had partaken of breakfast with the family, but his system is supposed to have suddenly given away under the strain upon it.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
McMillin, William Harvey, (page 1146) barber, Lake City, is the third son of James M., and was born September 30, 1839, at Wilkesville, Ohio, and was but three years of age when the family removed to Illinois. After he was eighteen years old he cared for himself and worked at butchering three years. He came to Minnesota in 1859, and assisted his brother in farming at Bear Valley, attending school there one winter term. Returning to Illinois he was among the first to respond to the call of his country in its hour of danger. Entering Co. B, of the 13th Illinois Vols., he saw a great deal of hard service in the western army. The following endorsement, which is found in red ink upon his discharge, explains itself: "Said W. H. McMillin was with the command in the actions at Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Jackson, May 14 and July 10-16, 1863, siege of Vicksburg and assault May 22, 1863; Tuscumbia, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge and Ringgold; has marched over thirty-five hundred miles and faithfully performed the duties of a soldier." Among other notable engagements in which he participated may be named Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, Buzzard's Roost, Snake's Gap and Milligan's Bend. He was detailed in the Mississippi scouts, and for five months commanded a squad of seventy-five mounted men, doing excellent service, losing only three men while passing through many hot skirmishes. At one time, after being driven seven miles under the spur, his party of ten men was driven over a steep bluff, where the horses slid down on their haunches, killing one man and a horse. After thus excaping, Mr. McMillin laid an ambuscade, and killed or captured nearly the entire force of rebel pursuers, eighty in number, being reinforced by two companies of infantry. After this he was detailed with nineteen comrades as body guard to Gen. P. J. Osterhaus, where he served till the close of the war. At Chickasaw Bayou his colonel, John B. Wyman, was killed by a sharpshooter, and "Sandy Bill," as our subject was best known to his comrades, crept through the bushes for fifteen rods and picked off the sharpshooter. Mr. McMillin was never wounded by a bullet, but was knocked down the bursting of a shell in front of Vicksburg, and his head and neck partially paralyzed so that he was not fit for duty for some time. He was laid up with dropsy in the old marine hospital at St. Louis for three months at another time. Was never in the guardhouse or under arrest. While serving as body guard to Gen. Osterhaus he acted most of the time as dispatch-carrier. While on this duty on one occasion, he rode half a mile under galling fire, and thus saved two thousand comrades from captivity and the pangs of hell in Libby prison. Another time, with three companions, he charged over the rebel pickets, gained the bluff across Chickamauga creek, and after running a half-mile gauntlet, gained a covered bridge; here they placed their horses across the entrance of the bridge, and by firing beneath their bodies kept the rebel cavalry at bay until artillery and reinforcements were brought to bear. In this movement the Union forces did not lose a man. Returning to Minnesota at the close of the war, Mr. McMillan engaged in farming a short time; removed to Lake City and worked in a butcher-shop three years; for past nine years has kept a barber shop-last two with a partner. February 22, 1865, he was united in marriage with Miss Caroline Culver, who was born in Walnut, Illinois. They have one adopted daughter, Bertie, born July 16, 1880. Mr. McMillin is district G.D.M.W. in the A.O.U.W. He is chief of the Lake City Hook and Ladder Company, and has had many narrow escapes in the pursuit of his duty.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
McNallan, Walter, (page 1040) is one of the prosperous farmers of Highland township. He was born in County Sligo, Ireland, November 1, 1842. His parents, Thomas and Mary (Judge) McNallan, are also inhabitants of Highland. They came to Beaver Meadow, Pennsylvania, when the subject of this sketch was about four years old, and remained in the coal regions of the Keystone State, where his father and himself and brother continued to labor in the mines until the spring of 1857, when the family went to Michigan, and resided for several months in the vicinity of Grand Rapids. The next removal was to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which place they left in the spring of 1858, and came to Highland August 25, 1862. Walter, then in his twentieth year, enlisted in the 10th Minn., served three years, and was honorably discharged August 25, 1865. Soon after the close of his soldier's life Mr. McNallan purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land in Highland, and his father deeded him eighty acres more, and by purchase since he has added ninety acres more; all on sections 3 and 10. In the summer of 1881 he erected a pretentious brick residence on his farm, at a cost of thirty-five hundred dollars, by far the finest house in the township. His matrimonial life dates from August 7, 1867, when he espoused Ellen Kinsella, daughter of Daniel and Catherine (Delany) Kinsella, an Irish lassie, then in her twentieth year. The fruits of this union are: Catherine, born November 20, 1868; Thomas, born August, 1870; James, born August 6, 1879; Daniel, born September 10, 1874; Mathew, born January 16, 1876; Mary born April 26, 1879; John, born March 14, 1881; Ellen, born April 14, 1883. Mr. McNallan is a well-informed and liberal-minded man, a member of the Highland Catholic church, and the Father Matthew Total Abstinence Society of Highland. He has held a place in the board of supervisors for three years, and was township treasurer for six years. His political faith is democratic. He receives four dollars a month pension for a wound to the right thigh.
Meachum, Hon. Frank L., (page 1031) one of the most enterprising stockmen and farmers in Wabasha county, was the only son of Chadwill and Mary (Lee) Meachum, and was born on a farm near North Shenango, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, August 8, 1835. Being of a studious disposition, he early aspired to better educational advantages than those afforded by the district school, and at the age of sixteen entered the Kingsville Academy, located at Ashtabula county, Ohio, where he remained a portion of three years, teaching arithmetic for his tuition several terms in the academy and occasionally dropping out of his classes to do service as a county pedagogue and earn the wherewithal to defray his expenses. Becoming ambitious to enter upon a business career, he abandoned the student life in 1854, and accepted a clerkship in the store of A. C. Stratton, at Linesville, Pennsylvania. The following winter found him teaching school again, and the next two years he spent at his old home in Pennsylvania, dressing and shipping staves. In 1847 the family came to Minnesota and located in Elgin township. Mr. Meachum's first claim was a pre-emption on a quarter of section 3 in that township, which he sold in 1867. He now owns four hundred and twenty acres in Elgin, on sections 3, 10 and 11. His farm-buildings are surrounded by beautiful cultivated groves and orchards, and were erected at an aggregate cost of four thousand two hundred dollars. Mr. Meachum has given considerable attention to stock-raising, more particularly to fine grades of cattle. He has engaged largely in the buying and shipping of stock since the fall of 1878, and during the season of 1883 was associated with R. R. Dumonde in handling farm machinery at Plainview. Mr. Meachum's political affiliations have been with the republican party, and he has been repeatedly elected to places of public trust and honor; has been chairman of the Elgin township board of supervisors, justice of the peace and township assessor, a member of the state legislature in 1873, and engrossing clerk of the lower house in 1871. His name is enrolled as a Knight Templar in the Rochester Commandery. Mr. Meachum resides in Plainview and is living with his second wife, formerly Mrs. Abbie Merrill, nee Brockway, to whom he was married December 28, 1873, and by whom he has one child, Agnes, nine years old. His first wife was a Miss S. M. Trace, of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, by whom he had three children: Sarah F. (Mrs. H. A. Gifford), of Erie, Pennsylvania; Emmet G. Meachum, married to Alice Marshall, and residing on his father's farm in Elgin, and Lee F., a compositor in the "Plainview News" office. His father, who was also a Wabasha county pioneer, was residing with his son at the time of his death, which occurred in January, 1874, in his sixty-fourth year, and whose aged wife still survives him and continues an inmate of her son's home.
Megers, John, (page 1137) farmer, was born in 1812, eighteen miles west of the city of Luxemburg. He was married in 1837, to Anna Leid, and left his native land ten years later, settling in Sheldon, Wyoming county, New York. In 1865 he became a resident of Chester, where his wife died in April, 1881. His first purchase of land here included eighty acres on section 5, which is now in the hands of his youngest son. He afterward bought forty acres, that he now owns. At present he resides with his younger son. Himself and family are members of the Roman Catholic church. There are three children: Nicholas J., Mazeppa; John N. (see below); Anna (Mrs. William Janti), section 6, Chester.
Megers, John N., (page 1137 ~ not listed in the index), son of above (John Megers), was born March 26, 1841. Has always been a farmer. Was twenty-four years old when he came with his father to Chester. He now resides on section 8, where he has eighty acres, besides that received from his father as above noted. In 1872 he married Justina Schroeder and is the father of six children, christened as below: Lena, Peter, Lucy, Mary, Louise and George.
War of 1812
Megroth, Thomas Heath, (page 1067) Lake City, was born at Hallowell, on the Kennebec river, in the State of Maine, in 1808. His father, John Megroth, was a native of Needham, Massachusetts, and died of camp fever in the war of 1812. His mother, Elizabeth (Heath) Megroth, was a native of Southampton, England, who came to America in early life and died at a good old age in West Manchester, Massachusetts. The first fifteen years of our subject's early life was spent on a farm, after which he began an apprenticeship to the hatter's trade. This, however, was not congenial to his health, and after two years' trial was abandoned and his attention turned to the carpenter's trade. This he found suited to his taste and made it his life business. In 1849 a trip to California was decided upon, and in April of that year he, with a party of twenty-five, left Boston for the "golden gate." They went via the river route from Cincinnati, Ohio, to Independence, Missouri, where they fitted out with teams and wagons. On reaching Salt Lake City they tarried fifteen days for the purpose of recuperation, as well as preparing for the remaining nine hundred miles' trip before them. This was done by selling their wagons, and packing their outfit, provisions, etc., on the backs of mules. In this way the journey was resumed and its end finally reached. The most part of seven years was spent by Mr. Megroth engaged in mining and working at his trade on the Pacific slope, though severe sickness compelled him to make a trip to the Sandwich Islands, and to this alone he now owes his life. In 1856 he returned, via the isthmus, to the bosom of his family, in Maine, with a large supply of experience and a good portion of the precious metal. The following April, 1857, he emigrated with his family to Minnesota and settled permanently in Lake City, and has since then devoted himself to his trade. He was married in 1835, to Miss Elizabeth N. Freeman, who is also a native of the State of Maine. She has shared his joys and sorrows for almost half a century, at this writing, February 26, 1884, and is now his constant though feeble companion down the shadowy side of life. To them were born two sons, Edward J., now enjoying a good property and unblemished reputation in this city, and Thomas Wesley, who died very suddenly at Chicago, Illinois, while there attending college. Mr. and Mrs. Megroth have for many years been exemplary members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Messer, Hezekiah F., (page 1184) farmer, of Plainview, is the son of Frederick and Martha (Whittier) Messer. He was born in Danbury, New Hampshire, on March 12, 1836; received a common-school education, and at the age of seventeen entered the employment of the Northern New Hampshire Railroad Company as a construction and track hand, and for the next eighteen years was engaged chiefly in the service of this company, most of the time as section-boss and conductor of a construction train, while that corporation had for its head the Hon. Onlsow Stearns. He came to Minnesota with his brother David in 1856, but not being pleased with the country, then just emerging from the snows of a dreary winter, he returned without investing; but David remained, and in 1871 induced his brother to purchase eighty acres of C. O. Landon, just east of Plainview village. On this place he at once took up his residence, and has since made it his home, having added by purchase forty acres more to the farm. Mr. Messer spent three years in the gold diggings of California, in Shasta county and Scorch mountains, and in the Frazer River country. On December 13, 1864, he espoused Mrs. Nancy J. Brown (nee Keniston), relict of E. G. Brown, Esq., of Andover, New Hampshire. This lady was born in Wilmot, New Hampshire. She had three children by her first husband, now living, viz: Ella J., Loren E., living in Plainview, and Addie (Mrs. Edwin May, of Wilson, Wisconsin). Mr. Messer is a democrat, and boasts of never having "scratched" a party ticket.
Metcalf, Caleb H., (page 1332 ~ deceased), one of the pioneer settlers of Elgin, was born in Canada, June 1, 1810. His parents were natives of the United States, and soon after his birth returned to Bermont, where he grew up. He married Lydia Alcott, who was born in New Hampshire, August 30, 1814. In the year 1855 he took up land on section 26, and settled upon it with his family four years later. His brother Edward also took land, which fell into the hands of Caleb by purchase, and at the time of his death - December 28, 1870 - he left to his heirs a half section. There were two sons, one of whom - George Edwin - sold his portion and now dwells at Brookings, Dakota, his consort being Ellen, nee Chapman, of Rochester. Mary Elizabeth, only daughter of Caleb Metcalf, married Francis M. Beckner, with whom she resides in Fayette county, Iowa.
Metcalf, Lucian Monroe, (page 1333) was born November 13, 1840, at Swansea, New Hampshire. His father soon after removed to Boston, where he spent his winters, being often employed with an uncle in New Hampshire through the summer. From the time of his father's settlement here he remained with him, and now occupies the homestead, of which he owns 200 acres, carrying on mixed farming. The tornado of July, 1883, destroyed his residence and inflicted a damage of $4,000. The main portion of the dwelling carried away was 38x30 feet in size, and 20 feet high. A one-story wing remained, to which Mr. Metcalf at once added an upright, 30x22, and an L 9x12. While the new house is not as large as the other it is comfortable and substantial, and is a monument to the determination of its owner. Mr. Metcals does not repine, but goes about repairing his loss as fast as possible. Like his father, he is a Republican, but takes no part in civil or religious affairs. On the first day of the year, 1866, he married Miss Electa Marilla Ackley, daughter of David Ackley, one of the pioneers of Plainview, Mt. Vernon, Winona county, in 1858, and in Plainview in 1854. Five children have been given Mr. And Mrs. Metcalf, of whom four are now living. Their births date as follows: Mary Ellen, August 27, 1867 (died March 8, 1869); Ida Melissa, June 10, 1870; Bertha May, November 11, 1872; Guy Ernest, October 24, 1876; Rose Edna, October 6, 1880.
War of 1812
Metzgar, Daniel, (page 1065) farmer, Cook's Valley, is a great-grandson of George Metzgar, who emigrated from Holland to Pennsylvania before the revolution. George, son of the latter, was reared and died in the same locality. His son, Jonas, served in the war of 1812; married Mary Merwine, and dwelt on a farm in Hamilton, Northampton county, Pennsylvania. Here was born the person whose name begins this paragraph, Novembr 8, 1822. He was reared on a farm in Cayuga and Tompkins counties, New York. Besides attending the excellent common schools of that region, he spent two terms in Groton Academy. He engaged in teaching two years, and afterward spent two years in a Florida sawmill. Returning to New York he engaged in farming. February 19, 1852, he was married to Mary J. Albertson, who was born in Smithfield, Pennsylvania. Her parents were John and Mary (Cregg) Albertson, natives of New Jersey. In 1857 he took up his present residence, on section 30, Greenfield, and became a fixture of the town, and a worthy citizen. He became postmaster at Cooks' Valley when that office was established in 1859, and held the office three years, thus demonstrating democratic appreciation of republican talent and integrity. Mr. Metzgar's first ballot was for abolition of slavery, and he has ever since adhered to the principles espoused by republicans. He was three times elected chairman of the town board of supervisors, and served a term as assessor. He is a believer in the final holiness and happiness of all mankind. On October 28, 1862, death took away the faithful sharer of his cares and delights. Mrs. Metzgar was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and her place has never been filled. Five children survive her, all residents of this town. Their names in order of birth are: William A., Mary A., (wife of J. G. Rose), Sarah A. (William J. Rose), Ida May and Fannie Jane.
Miller, John Bradley, (page 1021) merchant, is one of the pioneers of Mazeppa, where he continues to reside. On his arrival here he selected a claim, and after securing the same, took up his residence in the village, working as a mason and carpenter. For the past twelve years he has kept a furniture store on First street and is doing a prosperous business. His religious faith is represented by Universalism, and his political principles by republicanism. Mr. Miller's paternal grandfather was a revolutionary soldier. His father and mother, Wright and Abigail Miller, were natives of New York, and settled in Monticello, Otsego county, where the subject of this sketch was born, January 8, 1831. Wright Miller was a gunsmith, and at ten years of age Bradley, as Mr. Miller is called, was set to work in his shop when out of school. On reaching maturity he set out to earn his livelihood, and was employed for several years as a sawyer and turner. In 1851 he married Miss Mary, a sister of W. D. Angell, whose parentage is elsewhere given. Mrs. Miller is a native of Edmiston, New York. They have one child, Alice, born April 13, 1859, now the wife of George D. Sandford.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Milligan, M.D., F. H., (page 940) office and consulting rooms corner of Main and Pembroke streets. Dr. F. H. Milligan was born in Philadelphia, December 8, 1830, removed to St. Louis with his parents in 1835, completed his course in the high school of the latter city in 1846, and subsequently entered Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, graduating M.D. in 1851. The class of that year contained many names that have become eminent in the medical profession; among whom may be mentioned Dr. Thomas A. Turner, Dr. Fleet, surgeon U. S. N., and Dr. James A. Meigs, who has a national reputation as a medical author. Dr. Milligan immediately located for practice in St. Louis, was in that city for two years, and then removed to this place September 1, 1853, where he has now been practicing his profession a little over thirty years. With the exception of Dr. H. Murphy, of St. Paul, Dr. Milligan has practiced medicine more years in this state than any other physician now living. The doctor was the original president of the Wabasha County Medical Society, assisted at the organization of the State Medical Society in 1868, and was centennial president of the State Society, holding office from February, 1876, to June, 1877. As president of the society in 1877, Dr. Milligan urged upon that body the importance of securing and passage of a state pharmacy law, prohibiting all druggists and apothecaries, who could not pass a prescribed pharmaceutical examination, from dispensing medicines. The recommendation was acted upon by the State Medical Society, and a committee presented the matter to the state legislature only to have it slaughtered in committee-room. When the doctor located for practice in Wabasha his circuit rivaled that of the historic "Methodist circuit rider," extending southward to the Iowa line, eastward to Chippewa Falls, west to Faribault, and northward toward Red Wing. It was three years later before any other physician located within the present county limits. Dr. Milligan was commissioned assistant surgeon of the 3d Minn. Inf., October 15, 1861, and served until April of the following year, when he resigned and returned home. In December, 1864, he was again in the service, holding commission as assistant surgeon in the 10th Minn. Inf., and remained with that command until it was mustered out at the close of the war, when he returned home and resumed his active practice. Dr. F. H. Milligan in 1853 married Miss Lucy Ann, second daughter of Alexis Bailly, of this city, who died in 1865, leaving no children. May 1, 1866, the doctor married Miss S. D. Abrams, of Steubenville, Ohio. They have had four children, two only of whom are living, Dora B., born December 19, 1868, and Wm. Francis, born October 15, 1870. The family residence is on the bank of the Mississippi, just above the city, within the corporate limits, in what is here known as the old Judge Van Dyke homestead.
Moon, Rev. Nelson, (page 1122) was born in Erie, Pennsylvania, January 19, 1818. His parents were of New England birth. His mother's maiden name was Abigail Wallingford, and his father's Christian name was Barney. From nine to sixteen years of age he dwelt with William R. Porter, a Baptist deacon, in Macedon, New York, receiving all his schooling during that time in the common school. He then went to Canandaigua and was employed in chairmaking. His health being injured by this occupation, he went to Kirtland, Ohio, where he dwelt nearly two years. Here, at the age of nineteen, he was converted and joined the Methodist Episcopal church by immersion. His mother was a faithful Presbyterian and had him baptized at the age of seven. The teachings of his foster-father led him to insist on immersion, but he has since become convinced that this is not essential. In 1838 he settled at Lyons, Wisconsin, and after dwelling there nine years, during which he was licensed as an exhorter, he removed to Vermillion county, Illinois, and was there licensed to preach. In 1855 he came to Olmsted county, this state, and was soon compelled to take up land in order to sustain his family. He organized the first class in Rochester in the fall of this year. For two years he labored at Oronoco, Pine Island, Mantorville, Greenwood Prairie, Center Grove, Wasioji, and numerous other points where there was hope of doing good. He was ordained, by Bishop Simpson, at the first organization of the state conference, and Center Grove was his first circuit point. After residing on a farm in New Haven for nine years he took up his residence in Chester, where he has a farm of one hundred and fifty acres. Here he dwelt till the fall of 1883, when he moved to Lake City. He has labored as a local preacher and has officiated at a large number of funerals. He was married at East Troy, Wisconsin, May 14, 1841, by Rev. James McKean, a brother-in-law of the bride, to Mrs. Casandra Chenowith, nee Hunter. She was a faithful Christian wife and mother, enduring all the hardships of a pioneer minister's wife without a murmur, and went to her reward April 9, 1882. She became a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at a very early age. The second child of this union, Charles W., died August 9, 1864, at Pine Bluff, Arkansas, four days before he was eighteen years old, having served nine months in the Union army. The others were christened and reside as here given: Mary A. (Mrs. D. K. J. Clark), Bigstone Center, Minnesota; Emma (Mrs. W. A. Stevens), Lake City; William P., Bigstone; Frank W., Bigstone; Owen H., Fargo, Dakota; Carrie I. (Mrs. C. A. Robinson), Chester. Mr. Moon and family saw some severe experiences in early years. During the first winter they were surrounded by Sioux Indians, and he traded a watch that cost him a cow for a watch-dog to protect his family in his absence. Becoming short of provisions, he traded another watch that he had for a rifle, with which he shot seven deer. To secure potatoes and feed his horse he was obliged to sell his buggy. Late in the fall of 1855, in trying to cross the Zumbro on the ice to reach an appointment at Rochester, he broke through and narrowly escaped with his life. One day in the following winter a couple set out from some distance away to find his cabin, in order to be married. Losing their way, they did not arrive till dead of night. The hut consisted of a single room. Mr. Moon got up and joined the twain in the presence of his family, who remained in bed, and they went their way rejoicing.
Morey, Charles Anson, (page 1249), was born August 9, 1851, and lived the life of a farmer boy until nineteen years of age, when he was engaged to teach the school at Gopher prairie, near Lake City. So successful was he in this new field of operations, that the next year (1871) he came to Winona, and entered the State Normal School to prepare himself more thoroughly for that work. He graduated at the head of his class, May 22, 1872, and was at once selected by the authorities of the school, and instructed to proceed with his preparations to take charge of the new department of natural sciences about to be established in the school. Accordingly, in September of that year, he entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Boston, as a special student in the scientific departments. In the next two years he passed through the entire laboratory course of that advanced and practical institution. During the latter part of the last year he worked in company with Prof. A. Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, At the close of the year he read a paper before the society of arts and sciences of the institute, describing and illustrating his improvements upon the phonantograph, an important acoustical instrument. The paper was published in the "American Journal of Science," and the improvements upon the familiar piece of apparatus have been generally adopted. He was, in the spring of 1874, elected professor of natural, science in the State Normal School at Winona, and at once entered upon his duties. Under his direction laboratories were established, and the new experimental method of teaching the sciences put in full operation. A large amount of valuable apparatus was made on the spot by himself, and by pupils under his direction. Upon the resignation of Prof. William F. Phelps in 1876, Mr. Morey was appointed principal of the school. Under his administration the curriculum, took many decided steps in advance. The course of study was arranged upon the basis of a year instead of a term. The advanced course and the professional course for graduates of colleges and high schools were established. By his economical management of the affairs of the school, the authorities were enabled to supply the funds necessary to fit up and furnish the extensive museum and art gallery of the institution, which was done under his direction. He had, however, since a boy, determined to eventually make the law his profession, and had employed his leisure accordingly. In 1879 he resigned the principalship, was admitted to the bar, and immediately entered upon the practice of law at Winona, as a member of the firm of Berry & Morey. He was married November 28, 1877, to Kate Louise Berry, daughter of Gen. C. H. Berry. They have two children, Janette and Charles Berry. Mr. Morey is a member of the school board, a director of the Merchants Bank, of the board of trade, and is secretary of the Winona Building and Loan Association, and politically affiliates with the republican party.
Morey, Royal, (page 1249), farmer, Lake City, is a native of Orange county, Vermont, and was born in 1823. His parents, Joshua and Lucinda (Pennock) Morey, were representative New England families, and descendants of Scotch ancestors. They were principally farmers, though some of their scions had chosen the professions. Mr. Morey (our subject) was reared a farmer, and has made it his life business. He was married in his native state, January 1, 1850, to Miss Jennette Ellen Felton, a daughter of Amos Felton, born in Orange county, Vermont, in 1828. In 1861 they came to Minnesota, landing at Lake City on October 4, and at once settled on a farm in the town of Chester. Here they resided three years, during which time their home was frequently visited by marauding bands of Indians, who delighted in terrorizing Mrs. Morey and her defenseless children, as well as appropriating to their own use every article of food in the house. He then removed to Lake City, for the purpose of educating his children, whose names in the order of their birth are: Charles Anson (whose sketch follows); Edith E., wife of Joseph B. Peterson, of Sioux Falls, Dakota; Bertha C., now Mrs. John A. Leonard, of Lake City; Florence M., a graduate of the State Normal, and engaged in teaching; and Jennette E., at home. Mr. Morey and wife are not residing on their farm, within and adjoining the city limits, and enjoying the blessings of an honorable family, and an industrious and well spent life.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Mullen, Capt. J. H., (page 1148), attorney-at law, admitted to practice at the spring term of the district court, held in Wabasha, in 1883. Capt. Mullen, as he is universally called, came to this county in 1866, the year after the war closed, and in which he had seen over four years of active service, having enlisted June 5, 1861, and being mustered out in August, 1865, as captain of Co. C, 12th regt. Conn. Vol. Inf. The captain saw service with Gen. McClellan on the peninsula; was with Butler's forces at New Orleans, with Bank's command at Port Hudson, and on the Red River campaign; with Grant at Petersburg, and the battles around Richmond; then with Sheridan in the Shenandoah valley, returning with him to Petersburg, and participating in the closing struggle of the war at Five Forks; was with the army in the grand review at Washington, and being ordered to Savannah, Georgia, did not go immediately north, but was in the service until August, when they returned home and were mustered out at Hartford, August, 1865. The following year, 1866, located in Wabasha, and has since been engaged in trade, merchandising and farming. His farming operations are carried on along the line of the Hastings & Dakota railway, where he has a tract of about thirteen hundred acres seventy miles west of St. Paul. April 15, 1874, Capt. Mullen married Miss M. B. Downer, daughter of John B. Downer, one of the old pioneers of Wabasha county. Mrs. Mullen has a decided talent for painting, which has been to some extent cultivated, and work on canvass and silk is really artistic, and would do no discredit to a collection of genuine merit. Some of her decorative work on panels, in water colors, is exquisite in color and naturalness. Two children have been born to the captain and his wife: Carrie, born October 10, 1875; Downer, born May 20, 1880.
Munger, Orlo B., (page 1223), merchant, is a native of Addison county, Vermont, but nearly all his life has been spent in Minnesota. He was born in Orwell, September 28, 1855. His father, J. M. Munger, was a native of the same state, and his mother (Malvina L. Beldin) was born in Johnstown, Wisconsin. In 1857 J. M. Munger settled in Washington county, this state, on a farm. Here this subject was raised, attending the common school till fifteen years old, when he began firing on a railroad engine. Three years later took up millwright work. In June, 1881, he was employed on the Mazeppa mill, again in September, 1882. While here he formed the acquaintance of Miss Isabel Taft, to whom he was married December 27, 1881. In March, 1883, he bought an interest in the stove and hardware stock here, and is now manager of the business of Taft & Munger, his partner being A. J. Taft elsewhere sketched in this work. He has one son, Walter Lawrence, born October 7, 1882. He is a republican, and a member of the Masonic order.
Munro, James, (page 1115), farmer, was born at Banffshire, Scotland, January 14, 1845. His parents were Donald and Ann Noble-Munro, to whom were born eight children, the subject being the youngest. James left his native land at the age of eighteen, coming directly to West Albany, where he has since resided. He was soon followed to this country by his parents, who also located in this township. Here the elder Munro died in 1869. His widow is still living, and is a resident of Sibley county, Minnesota. December 8, 1866, James was united in marriage to Mrs. Margaret Kirkman-Corry, a native of Lanark county, Ontario. They have one child, James N. His farm consists of one hundred and twenty acres of rich land, with good buildings. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church. He is a republican in politics. For eight years he has held the office of town clerk, and is one of the prominent citizens of the township.
Murdock, John N., (page 975), attorney-at law, office in the editorial rooms of the Wabasha "Herald"; practice established in this city in 1857. John N. Murdoch was born at Winchendon, Massachusetts, September 23, 1831. Graduated from Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, in the class of 1852, and took his parchments two years later from the Albany Law School, Albany, New York. He cast his first ballot in 1852, voting for John P. Hale, free-soil candidate for president, and three years later was a member of the convention which met at St. Anthony, Minnesota, in March 1855, to organize the republican party in the territory of Minnesota, and has voted the republican ticket ever since. Having completed his law studies Mr. Murdoch came west, and was in St. Paul one year, then removed to Red Wing, and two years later, 1857, located in this city. From 1865 to 1867 he was absent from the county, traveling in the south, and from 1873 to 1876 was with his family in Kansas. With the exception of these years, Wabasha has been his home since his location here in 1857. For the past twelve years Mr. Murdoch has been more or less connected with the press of the city, having had charge of the editorial columns of the "Herald" from 1871 to 1873, when that paper was owned by Sharpe & Palmer, and again from April, 1881, to date, August, 1883, at which time he appears to be solidly seated in the editorial chair. Mr. Murdoch was the first city attorney for the city of Wabasha; he headed the electoral ticket of the state in 1864 (as elector at large) for Lincoln and Johnson, and was the city postmaster from 1869 to 1873. September 17, 1855, Mr. Murdoch married Miss Cynthia A. Baldwin, of Auburn, New York. They have four children: Mary E., born December 20, 1856; Wm. L., born in this city August 12, 1858, now and for the past eight years with the Samuel Cupple's Woodenware Co., of St. Louis. Emily T., born April 1, 1861, and who graduated A. B. from Wellesley College, Massachusetts, class of '83. The first native of Wabasha county, so far as known, to take a full collegiate course and receive a degree. John W., born June 22, 1869, and now in school in this city.
Murray, William R., (page 1206), implement dealer, Lake City, is one of the early residents of Minnesota, having come in 1853 to Winona. He was born at Ann Arbor, Michigan, in 1839. Philander and Harriet Murray, his parents were natives of Genesee county, New York. The family is of Scotch origin, many generations ago. Orrin Murray, the grandfather of this subject, was born and reared in New York. The parents of W. R. Murray died when he was a child, and he came west, as above related, in the care of an elder brother, Erastus H. The latter bought and finished the Winona House, and his sign was the first ever hung out in Winona. In 1860 our subject went to Rochester, where he dealt in agricultural machinery till 1870. At this time he became owner of a custom-mill at Frontenac. He shortly sold out and traveled as collector for a wholesale machinery house three years. In 1875 he opened a grocery store at Lake City, and next year went into his present business with a partner. In 1878 G. R. Bartron became a partner in the business, and the firm is doing an excellent business. Mr. Murray has been twice elected alderman of Lake City, and was elected in 1876 to the state legislature. February 7, 1870, he led to the altar Miss S. Emma Gates, a sketch of whose parents appears elsewhere in this volume. Two children have blessed this union, aged at present as here noted: Sarah, twelve, and Edith, six years. While in Rochester, Mr. Murray was initiated into the Masonic order and still retains connection with the lodge there. Mrs. Murray is a communicant in the Episcopal church, and her husband's faith is in sympathy with hers.
Murray, Edward B., (page 945), was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1818. His parents were Edward B. and Margaret Murray. He came to America in 1853; worked successively in bleaching at Falls River, Massachusetts, in wagon-shop at Montreal, Canada, and two years as a house-carpenter in Bramford, Canada; by trade he was a ship-carpenter. He came to Wabasha county in 1855; having a few hundred dollars, he bought some town lots in Wabasha; erected a house and resided there until 1857, when he removed to Highland township and pre-empted one hundred and sixty acres on section 14. He now owns a farm on section 16 in the same township, on which he resides. He received a good common school education. The farm on which his parents lived in Ireland had been in the possession of the Murray family for five hundred years. Mr. Murray married in Ireland in 1851 to Margaret Bartley, by whom he had five children, viz: William, Daniel, John, Patrick and Maggy. Daniel is the only one at home, the three youngest residing with their mother in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and William is a dealer in agricultural implements at Minneapolis.
Murray, Rev. Patrick B., (page 1228), Catholic priest of the Highland church, was born in Ireland in 1823. He received a good primary education in Ireland and emigrated to America in 1844. He afterward attended several prominent educational institutions both in the United States and Canada. His first mission was at Mackinaw, Michigan about the year 1855. While stationed here he learned to speak the Indian dialect. Soon after the Morman settlement on Beaver island was broken up he took charge of a Catholic mission on the island and became familiar with the true history of the famous King Strang and the Mormon church at that point. He has also presided over the Sheboygan, Michigan, church, and more recently was pastor of the Kalamazoo Catholic society, in the same state. Owing to ill health, requiring a change of climate, he came to Highland in the spring of 1883.
Musty, Peter, (page 1215), farmer, is a native of Belgium, born in 1831. His father was John and his mother Barbara (Schmidt) Musty. In 1840 all left their native land, and settled in Wyoming county, New York, where the mother soon died. This subject remained on the farm with his father till 1868. He was married in December, 1856, to Ann Reding, a native of New York, of German parentage. In the spring of 1877 he came with his family to Wabasha county, and bought two hundred and forty acres of land in Chester, where his home is now, on sections 21 and 28. He has a beautiful farm on which he built a large and handsome house in 1881. Large barns were on it at the time of his purchase. He is a democrat, and the family is enrolled in Belle Chester Roman Catholic church. There are ten living children, as follows: Lena (Mrs. John Schuler, Chester); rest at home, viz: Catharine, Mary A., Nicholas, Anthony J., John, Barbara, Henry, Michael J. and Hubert S.
Myers, A. J. (page 1221), agent Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad, Mazeppa,
was born in Cattaraugus county, New York State, in October, 1851. At two years
of age he came west with his parents, to Wisconsin where he lived for two
years. His parents then moved to the State of Minnesota, stopping for a time
at Saratoga, from which place they went to Lake Sheteck, Minnesota. Here they
were driven from their home by the Indians, during the Indian outbreak of
1862, and fled for safety to Mankato. Shortly after reaching Mankato, his
mother died from the effects of exposure, consequent of their flight from the
Indians. This was a sad epoch in the life of young Myers, as his father had
lost everything by the Indian outbreak, and had no means of providing for his
family but his bare hands, and threw him almost wholly on his own resources.
He proved equal to the occasion, however, as, though but eleven years of age,
he commenced fighting the battle of life on his own account. For a number of
years he made his way by working on farms in Minnesota and Wisconsin. At the
age of eighteen years he went to learn the trade of furniture finisher. He
then worked at the jewelry business two years, but the confinement not
agreeing with his health, he was compelled to quit it. Up to this time of his
life his advantages for schooling has been so limited, that they were hardly
worthy of note. But he was of that kind not to be kept down, and while working
at the jewelry business he devoted his spare time to study and improving his
mind by midnight oil. In this way he fitted himself for business, and became
so proficient with the pen, that subsequently he taught writing and penmanship
several terms. After quitting the jewelry business he engaged in selling
sewing machines and organs, and ultimately engaged in the insurance business,
but having married and settled in life, his almost continual absence from home
was unpleasant, and he determined to enter some other field; accordingly in
1878 he made application for the position he now fills; but here he was beset
with difficulties. He had sufficient education, was a fine penman, but was
without experience. He believed, however, he had capacity for the position. In
an interview with Mr. Lakey, the superintendent, he frankly stated all these
facts, and was accepted. During his first year as agent he learned the art of
telegraphing from an operator employed at his expense, since which time he has
been independent and competent in every department. Mr. Myers is a member of
the Masonic order, and is junior warden of the lodge. In December, 1878, he
was married to Miss Minnie E. Buell, of Hyde Park, whose father was one of the
earliest settlers of Wabasha county. They have two children, Frederick B. and