Paradis, Ed A., (page 1124), editor and proprietor of the Plainview "News," though not one of the pioneers of Wabasha county, is nevertheless in some respects a pioneer, having done pioneer newspaper work in Illinois in 1870 and in Kansas in 1873. Mr. Paradis was the son of J. B. Paradis, a contractor and builder, whose father was a wealthy landed proprietor and manufacturer of Lacadie, Canada, where he was born on July 6, 1850. The family soon after removed to Kankakee county, Illinois. Ed, being the youngest of the family of thirteen children, was deprived of the educational advantages enjoyed by his brothers, by the financial failure of his father in 1857. At the age of nine he was cast upon the world to earn his own living. This he did by doing farm work at first. At the age of sixteen he adopted his father's trade, that of a carpenter. He soon found employment with the American Bridge Co., of Chicago, and remained with it until 1870, when he joined his brother, J. B. Paradis, in establishing the Momence (Illinois) "Reporter," their capital stock being, all told, forty dollars. This venture was a success, and in August, 1873, he joined J. S. Paradis, another brother, in a similar enterprise at Clyde, Kansas where they started the Clyde "Local Reporter." Owing to grasshopper raids success did not attend this undertaking, and in April, 1875, with an empty purse, Mr. Paradis found himself an humble compositor in St. Paul. In the fall of 1876 he found himself once more on his feet, and became one of the proprietors of the "National," a French and English newspaper. Financial reverses again came upon him, and the following August he came to Plainview. In August, 1878, he became a half owner of the Plainview "News," and bought the remaining half-interest of his partner, H. J. Byron, April 1, 1882, since which time he has continued sole proprietor of the sheet. In religious matters Mr. Paradis may be set down as a Freethinker. He was married to Miss Jennie Hammil in St. Paul, October 9, 1877.
Parkinson, William, (page 1170), farmer, Zumbro, was born early in June, 1833, in the parish of Clitherow, Lancashire, England. At nine years of age he began work in a cotton factory, and afterward served as groom and gardener with a clergyman. His educational privileges were very limited. April 10, 1861, he was united in marriage with Ellen Eastham, born Knight, in Gisbon Forest, Yorkshire, October 26, 1831. They set sail for the United States in February, 1864. After spending three years as gardener in Joliet, Illinois, and two in the lumber regions of eastern Wisconsin, Mr. Parkinson settled in this town, arriving May 4, 1869. He bought eighty acres of land on section 14, where he now resides. He had barely sufficient capital to purchase his land, on which only six acres were broken. He rented a farm for three years, and in the meantime broke up his own. He is now comfortably situated. Mr. Parkinson became a citizen as soon as he could, and has always voted with the republican party. The family are Episcopalians. There are four children, born as follows: James W., January 24, 1863; Joseph, September 14, 1866; Elizabeth E., September 28, 1869; Mary A., August 15, 1873. Mrs. Parkinson's first husband was John Eastham, who left one son, now residing with this family, Richard Eastham, born May 14, 1859.
Patton, Dr. E. A., (page 1004), of Minneapolis, was formerly a physician of Lake City, in partnership with his father, G. R. Patton. He is a gentleman of superior education and attainments and is now the professor of physiology in the Minnesota College Hospital of Minneapolis. His wife, Mattie S., is a daughter of Maj. L. S. Van Vliet, whose sketch may be found elsewhere in this volume.
Patton, George, (page 1000), retired merchant, Lake City, is the only child of George Patton, a successful teacher of twenty-eight years' experience, and Jane (Humphreys) Patton, natives of Strabane, Ireland, of Irish and English ancestry. In the city of Philadelphia, on August 24, 1802, was born the subject of this page. When he was nine years of age, the family then residing at Williamsport, his mother was drowned in a stage coach which was swept away by a swollen stream on the way to Pennsborough. The youthful George was only prevented from sharing his mother's journey and fate by a mere childish accident. Just as they were about the start, he fell down and soiled his clothing, for which he was compelled to forego the trip. When in his fifteenth year, our subject began his mercantile career, entering a store in Lewistown, Pennsylvania. After serving one employer five years and another nine, he engaged in business for himself at Allenville, Mifflin county, in 1831. By the industry and shrewd business management of fifteen years here, he secured financial independence, and resolved to locate in Cincinnati, where his children, six sons and one daughter, might be properly educated. For nine years his only business was their care and intellectual advancement. Their mother, Eliza, daughter of James Kellogg, one of the substantial citizens of Lewistown and Mr. Patton's employer for nine years, was a woman worthy of such a husband, and ably seconded his efforts. The loss of health prompted Mr. Patton in 1855 to travel in the west. A tour of some weeks' duration through Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota territory, satisfied him of the healthful climate and flattering material prospects of this section. Now, in his eighty-second year, his general health is good, and his long life is no doubt to be largely attributed to our invigorating climate, together with a clear conscience and regular, temperate habits. He left Ohio in May, 1855, on his prospecting trip, and removed his family to Winona in July of the same year. Here he bought lots and contemplated a permanent residence. In the following winter his attention was called to the site of Lake City by its projectors, and after a survey of the adjacent country, he became convinced of its natural advantages and decided to purchase an interest in the town, which he did, and removed his family hither the following May. At that time boats did not land here, but Mr. Patton persuaded the captain of the War Eagle to put off his household effects, cow, etc., on the shore. The boat arrived after dark, and they were obliged to make their way as best they could to a shanty near by. A severe storm was in progress at the time, and on reaching the cabin its floor was found to be soaked with the rain; but here they were compelled to arrange their bedding and set up a stove and prepare supper. Mr. Patton at once set about preparations to build, and during this season completed his present residence, corner of High street and Lyon avenue, and occupied it in November. All the material had to be freighted from Read's Landing, and much of it was purchased in Dubuque, the lumber being brought in a raft from the St. Croix river. The latter was dried in a kiln, erected for the especial purpose. Stones for the foundation were rolled down the bluffs, and Mr. Patton was obliged to mix mortar and wait on the mason, in order to fit the house for a shelter before winter came on. Only one carpenter and one mason could be found, and day-laborers were unheard of at that time. In the spring of 1857, Mr. Patton built a store and opened for trade in April, 1858, continuing in mercantile business till January 1, 1881. Associated with him were his sons, Hiram and Augustus. The eldest son, James E., is a prosperous merchant and manufacturer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he has dwelt nearly thirty years. George R., the second, is in successful medical practice here. Nathan, the fourth, is now dealing in general merchandise at Tower City, Dakota. Augustus M., died February, 1869, aged twenty-nine years, at Lake City, leaving a widow and two sons. The only daughter, Eliza J., married Rev. Silas Hazlett, and is now deceased. December 31, 1878, was celebrated the golden wedding of George Patton and Eliza Kellogg, at their elegant home, where they were surrounded with the friends of a quarter century, as well as many later ones. At the family reunion in the evening were present all the living descendants of Mr. and Mr. Patton, except Dr. E. A. Patton, of Cincinnati, including a great-grandchild, Eliza McLean.
Pehl, Charles A., (page 1192), mason, was born in Sweden, April 13, 1839, and remained in that country nineteen years. He received a fair education in his native tongue, and since his arrival here has fitted himself for business by private study. He first settled in America at Rock Island, Illinois, where he engaged as a laborer, and subsequently learned his trade. In 1872 he went to Red Wing, and came thence to Mazeppa in 1875. Here he formed the acquaintance of Miss Eva Black, to whom he was married on June 20, 1875. They have two children, Josephine and Charles. Mrs. Pehl is the youngest daughter of Elam Black, elsewhere mentioned in this work. Mr. Pehl is an adherent of the republican party. He was reared in the Lutheran church, and now cherishes its faith.
Pencille, Orrin, (page 951), blacksmith, Zumbro, son of John and Fanny (Jackson) Pencille, was born in Waterloo, province of Ontario, May 28, 1833. His parents were born, reared and died in the same locality. Up till nine years of age he remained with his family on the farm, and was then apprenticed for twelve years to a blacksmith at Kingston. He had opportunity for limited common school training before and during his apprenticeship. His preceptor was a very severe man, and discharged him at the end of nine years. The cause of this action was young Pencille's interference to rescue a favorite son of his employer from the latter's inhuman flogging for a fancied offense. Pencille at once bought a shop, four miles away, on credit, and at the end of six months had his shop and tools clear, and from that time has followed the calling. He came to Lake City from Canada, in May, 1855, and built a shop at Central Point. In the fall of the same year he took up his residence on a claim on section 13, which he held over two years, and then sold. Built and operated a shop at Zumbro Falls, which was carried away by the flood of 1859. July 19, 1859, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Dennison, who was born in Floyd, New York, daughter of Alonzo and Mary (Knox) Dennison. Both are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Pencille is a consistent republican. Has always been active in sustaining and managing the public schools. For the last eighteen years he has dwelt on section 25, where he has operated a blacksmith-shop. He now has two hundred and eighty acres of land in this town, of which one hundred and fifty are under cultivation. Besides this, himself and son are holding half a section of land in Bigstone county under the United States tree culture laws. The family includes five children, two having died in early childhood. The third, Ida M., married Frank Fisher and resides at Castleton, Dakota. The others are at home, their names in order being as follows: William D., Anna L., Grace E., and Kate A. All the family is gifted with musical faculties. In early years Mr. Pencille taught singing schools in the town, and is now considerably engaged in the sale of organs and other musical instruments.
Perkins, Elisha, (page 1156), farmer, Zumbro, came to this county without capital in 1868, and secured sixty acres of land where he now resides, section 36-originally Mazeppa township. Besides this he now has forty acres in the adjoining town of Farm Hill, half as much in the Mazeppa timber and a quarter-section in Bigstone county. The same energy and business ability that carried him through several struggles in the past are still leading elements in his character, and he is known as an active and useful citizen. He is an earnest exponent of the principles of the republican party, and a leading member of the Wesleyan Methodist church at South Troy. Joel Perkins, the father of Elisha, was born in Luzerne, Warren county, New York, in 1813. His parents, Elkanah and Phoebe Perkins, were natives of the same state. Joel Perkins married Sarah Van Wormer, who gave birth to this subject at Stony Creek, Warren county, in 1835. The latter was reared on his father's farm, and received his education in the common schools. That he improved his opportunities is evident to all who meet him, and he is well-known as a contributor to the press of the day. October 10, 1857, he married Eliza A. Gallup, born in the same county as himself. This union was disrupted by the cruel hand of death in January, 1866, and Mr. Perkins was left with four small children to care for. Shortly after he suffered heavy losses in a lumbering contract, and resolved to try his fortunes in the west. On March 29, 1869, he espoused Frances J. Roberts, a native of Hamilton county, Ohio, who is a mother of six living children, viz: Amanda E., Florence A., Alma A., Ernest H., Maud A., and an infant daughter. Of the elder children: Ward B. dwells at Waneta, Dakota; Ellsworth L. died when eight years old; Eliza J. and Fanny M., twins, at home.
Perkins, William E., (page 1007),livery man, Lake City, came to Lake City in September, 1858, and spent his first winter here teaching a school at Central Point, after which for a time he engaged in handling lumber for F. R. Sterrett and Bessey & Willis, after which he spent some time in farming within the present limits of Lake City. In the fall of 1866 he embarked in the livery business with A. W. Detmars, and so continued about five years. He then bought out Mr. Detmar's interest, and has since conducted the business individually, near the corner of Lyon avenue and Washington street. His business of late years requires about twenty horses, though before the construction of the railroads a larger number were needed. In addition to his livery and 'bus business, Mr. Perkins is also engaged in the purchase and sale of fine and heavy horses, most of them obtained in Illinois and Iowa. Mr. Perkins was born in Watertown, New York, September 16, 1839, and is a son of George B. and Cinthia (Woolley) Perkins. He was married July 23, 1858, to Miss Anna M. Woodford, a native of Vermont. To them were born five children, of whom two, George W. and Sidney W., are living, and now in business. The former is agent for the American Express company of this city, and the latter employed in his uncle George W. Perkin's store at Furgus Falls, Minnesota. Three lovely and affectionate daughters once graced the home of Mr. and Mrs. Perkins. Of these, Litha E. (who was their second child) died soon after entering on her third year. L. Nellie and Florence G. were longer spared to their fond parents. The former died of diphtheria February 19, 1879, in the twelfth year of her age, and the latter died of the same disease January 1, following, in her tenth year. Mr. and Mrs. Perkins are prominently connected with the Episcopal church, and he is a staunch member of the Masonic fraternity.
Philley, David L., (page 1134), farmer and real-estate dealer, is a grandson of Remembrance Philley, who served through the revolution under Washington, and son of Isaac and Eliza Philley, of New York birth. The family name is of Irish origin, but the mother of Remembrance was Scotch. David Philley was born September 8, 1823 in McDonough, Chenango county, New York. He was reared on a farm and received a meager common-school education. At twenty-one he began to teach and educate himself. He taught eighteen winters in all. He engaged there, as here, buying and improving farms and then selling them. He was married March 5, 1849, to Clarissa L. Eaton, who was born in Willet, Cortland county; her father, John Eaton, was born in Utica. In 1856 Mr. Philley visited Mazeppa on a prospecting tour, and bought two hundred and forty acres of land. Some years later he took up permanent residence in this county, living some years on a farm in Chester. In the fall of 1874 he moved to Lake City. During the next season he built his present fine residence in Mazeppa, and occupied it as soon as completed. He is now the possessor of twenty-one hundred acres, of which thirteen hundred are in Lac Qui Parle county. Mr. Philley is a member of Mazeppa lodge, I.O.G.T., and is a Freethinker. His five children reside as follows: Melinda (Mrs. A. D. Stowell), Chester; Isaac L., Lake Benton; John E., Chester; Murray, near elder brother; Viola (Mrs. Ed. Noonan), here.
Phillips, Geo. D., (page 1167), farmer, was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, April 1, 1820. His parents were Alexander and Elizabeth Smith-Phillips, to whom were born twelve children, George being tenth. At the age of eleven the subject of our sketch left the homestead, going to Banffshire, where he resided many years. Here he was married January 1, 1839, to Helen Annand, of Banffshire. Shortly after he leased a farm which he worked until 1868, when he came with his family to Wabasha county. The first two years of his residence here were spent in Mount Pleasant township, and in 1870 he located in West Albany, where he now lives. He has a good farm of one hundred and sixty acres acquired solely by his own economical industry. Mrs. Phillips departed this life November, 1877. She was the mother of eight children: James, deceased; Mrs. Mary A. Smith, of Lyon county; George, a farmer of Mount Pleasant; William, Mrs. Helen Wilson, of this township, Alexander, John, James E. Mr. Phillips is a member of the United Presbyterian church, as was also his wife. He is a republican, but has never been an office-seeker.
Picket, Benjamin, (page 993), Plainview, farmer, was born in Pultney, Steuben county, New York, August 11, 1828. His parents were Eli and Cuissan Ann Pickett. His father was a native of the same county. When eighteen he accompanied his brother, Eli C. Pickett, to Dodge county, Wisconsin. Here he continued to reside with his brother until the spring of 1855, when he came to Minnesota, and located on section 9, Plainview, eighty acres of which claim now constitute the farm, on which he as since continued to reside. He came in company with Mr. Washburn, Mr. Miner, and Mr. Jack Williams. In 1858 he went back to Wisconsin, and spent the winter; on his return in the spring he brought back a three-year-old colt, which is now a hale old horse of twenty-nine years. His next trip to Wisconsin was of a matrimonial character, and resulted in his espousing Susanna Allen, February 9, 1861. She was the daughter of Caleb Allen, a farmer and mason, of Lowell, Dodge county, Wisconsin, now of Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, and was born in Washington county, New York, November 17, 1842. The children of this marriage are: Frank B., employed in Wyant's photograph gallery, Plainview; Benjamin E. and Anna.
Pierce, Anson, (page 1073), county commissioner,
Lake City, is a son of Chauncey and Mahala (Conger) Pierce, of Connecticut
and Vermont. The paternal progenitors of Mr. Pierce emigrated to this county
from England in the seventeenth century. The town of Charlotte, Chittenden
county, Vermont, is the place of Anson Pierce's birth, and May 6, 1828,
the time. His early life was spent on the farm of his father, and he received
a limited common school training. Nature had done much for him, and by proper
care and culture of his talents he became fitted for the trusts imposed
upon him by his fellow citizens. When sixteen years old he was apprenticed
to the carpenter's trade, which he followed many years. On becoming of age,
he went to Chicago, where he was employed several years in building. In
1857 he became a resident of Lake City, and continued here at his trade
for fifteen years. For six years he kept a hardware store, and was burned
out in the great fire of April 22, 1882. He was several years supervisor
under the township organization, and alderman under the city government;
has served two terms as county commissioner, which responsible position
he now fills. In the fall of 1873 he was elected county treasurer, and re-elected
in 1875, holding the trust for four consecutive years. His allegiance has
always been given to republican principles. In religious ideas he is a Freethinker.
Lovina E. Lyon, to whom Mr. Pierce was wedding in 1852, is of Scotch descent,
born in Vermont, as were her parents, Asa Lyon and Katie Benson. Mr. and
Mr. Pierce are now in the midst of pleasant and useful lives, and enjoy
the esteem of the whole community. Of their offspring four are now living,
all at present in Lake City. Alice H., the eldest, married Samuel P. Fox,
who died in Pennsylvania. Frank resides in the city, and celebrated his
wooden* (fifth) wedding January 18, 1884. Charles
and Grace reside with their parents. February 4, 1884, Mr. Pierce and two
sons bought the extensive hardware business of J. Cole Doughty & Co., and
are now continuing the same under the firm name of Anson Pierce & Co.
*Just as the 25th wedding anniversary is the "Silver Anniversary" and the 50th is the "Gold," each anniversary year traditionally has a corresponding substance to signify it, and at one time gift items made of these substances; such as wood, tin, paper, etc.; were given on the appropriate anniversary. See this site for more information.
Piers, W. S., (page 981), bookkeeper for the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company, is a native of Nova Scotia. He was educated in the Grammar School at Halifax, in that province, and at nineteen years of age came into Allamakee county, Iowa, his father's family settling there in 1851, on a farm eight miles back from the river. W. S. Piers' first visit was made to this county in 1854, and two years later he located on his farm, the N.W. 1/4 of Sec. 4, T. 111, R. 11 W. of the principal meridian, and was there until 1862, when he enlisted in the 1st regt. Minn. Rangers, for the Indian campaign on the frontiers and was there until mustered out in 1864, when he entered the service of Knapp, Stout & Co. April 19, 1857, Mr. Piers married Mary Shurtliff, of this county, whose family came here in 1856. They have seven children, five living at home. William T., born in Wabasha, January 4, 1860, and now bookkeeper for H. J. Oneil, of Winona; L. E., born August 23, 1864, and now in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railway at Wabasha; Alice, born September 12, 1867; Albert J., born December 20, 1869; Walter B., born February 19, 1872; Blanche, born November 26, 1874; Jennie, born May 20, 1880.
Pletke, Christian H., (page 1329), a Plainview farmer, was born in Botenich (should be Bodenteich ~ see below), Hanover, on the 30th day of January, 1836. He continued to reside with his father, who was a farmer, until his twenty-eighth year, when he came to New York. He found employment with a West Broadway butcher named Anthony Koptke, at No. 41. He remained here two years, during which occurred New York draft riot. He next spent one year in the city of San Francisco, and from there went to Virginia City, where he tarried four years. He then came to Winona, Minn., and a short time thereafter purchased the farm in Plainview - 455 acres in section five - in which he has resided since 1882. He is also the owner of two houses and lots in Winona City. Mr. Pletke was married to Miss Julia Klett, daughter of Sebastian Klett, of Fountain City, Wis., July 17th, 1874. Two children have been born to them, viz.: Adelia and Flora. Mr. Pletke is a Lutheran in religion and in politics an Independent.
Corrections and Notes from Fellow Genealogist, Rosemarie
Scheer Bonn, Germany:
The birth place of the Pletke family is Schafwedel near Bodenteich (not Botenich as it is written in the book). There is no place called Botenich in Germany. If a Pletke of the United States ever tries to find his roots in Germany using the name "Botenich" he cannot succeed.
If anyone is interested in the Pletke family, I can supply informations about the ancesters of the Pletkes up to the 17th century. Their farm in Schafwedel was sold and was divided into six small places in 1909.
Another family, Wittenborg, of the Bodenteich area went to Winona. If anyone should happen to know anything about them and their destiny I'd be very interested.
Note from Webmaster: See more on the Pletke family on the Wabasha GenWeb site under "Trees."
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Polson, Emric, (1150), farmer, was born in 1835, in Sweden. He is the eldest son of Paul and Julia Polson, of Sweden. He lived in Sweden, at home until twenty-two, when he came to America, and settled in Illinois. After three years he enlisted in the 8th Ill. Cav., and served one an one-half years under McClellan and Burnside. He was discharged and came to Minnesota and enlisted in the 2d Minn. Cav., and served in Gen. Sulla's expedition to the Yellowstone and Bad Lands. After this remarkably long saddle service, he returned to Minnesota in 1866, and settled on his present farm, a quarter-section of fine land, nearly all cultivated. He is working into stock-raising as fast as possible. He was a member of the Grange. He is a member of the Norwegian Methodist Episcopal church. He is justice of peace and supervisor at present. In politics he has always been republican, and is one of our influential and enterprising citizens. He was married in 1879, to Sophia Johnson, a native of Sweden. They have eight children.
Porter, Elijah, (page 1313), was born in Westfield, Massachusetts, July 6, 1811, and left motherless when ten days old, and at the age of two years was stepson to his father's second wife. Mr. Porter bears testimony that this is the only mother he ever knew, proved to be all that could be expected of a real mother. When ten years old the family moved to Ohio, which was then, 1821, a wilderness, accomplishing the journey, six hundred and fifty miles, in twenty-one days. The family here underwent the common privations incident to pioneer life, which were much more severe than pioneering usually is in later years. In 1826 he had tired of clearing land and other hard work of the farm, and walked forty miles to Canton, to learn the printing business. Here Mr. Porter's character was formed, and here he became a Christian and united with the Methodist Episcopal church, in 1831. This year he left Canton for Massachusetts, working at different places on the way, and in 1832 went to New York. In New York he worked at his trade for several years, saving from his hard earnings in the meantime money to buy an outfit for an office of his own, which he established in his native town, installing himself as editor of what was called the "Westfield Letter." This was at the time of the Wm. Henry Harrison campaign; and though the town was a democratic center, Mr. Porter went bravely to work to advocate the principles of the whig party, and mixed with it considerable of freesoilism and temperance. And though unpopular as this course may have seemed to some, but a short time elapsed until the town was against democracy by a majority of six hundred. Seventeen years after this, however, having done his work and lost all his money, he gathered together a few remnants and again set out for the far west, and landed at Maiden Rock, Wisconsin. In 1859 Mr. Porter came to Lake City, and resurrected the "Tribune," and for two years devoted his talent to editorial work. When Mr. Porter gave up the "Tribune," he was appointed postmaster by President Lincoln, and held the position until 1867, when he was removed by Andy Johnson. Mr. Porter is a Methodist, and Odd-Fellow, a temperance man, and a philanthropist in the best sense of the word.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Porter, O. H., (page 1162), is a native of Pennsylvania, a moulder by trade, and has been a resident of this city about fourteen years. He was born in 1833; came into Michigan at nineteen years of age; learned his trade in Tecumseh, in that state, and in 1856 removed to Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, and was there until the breaking out of the war of the rebellion, July 13, 1861. He enlisted as a musician; was afterward promoted fife-major, and was mustered out of service in 1863, returning to Wisconsin. December 6, of that year, he married Barbara Yambor. One daughter was born to them on October 3, 1864, Miss Nellie J., who graduated from the high school of this city in class of 1882; is now pursuing her studies at the State Normal School, Winona, from which she will graduate in the class of 1884.
See the entry "Wabasha Foundry and Machine-Shop" for more information on Mr. Porter.
Pope, Hon. John F., (page 1075), lawyer, and ex-judge of probate for Wabasha county, was the fourth child and third son in a family of nine children born to Ralph and Mary (Richardson) Pope, of Orange, Orange county, Vermont. Judge Pope was born October 7, 1836. His early life was spent on a farm. Young Pope had the advantages of the country school, but when he had reached the age of sixteen years had made a sorry record as a student, his highest ambition being to escape school duties and evade punishment for his frequent violations of the rules of school government. Fortunately he had a brother of scholarly acquirements, who opened a select school in the village of Orange the winter that our subject was sixteen, and in this school he became a conscript pupil, by order of a stern father. Finding himself obliged to attend school, his pride soon awakened him to a sense of shame for the great ignorance which he possessed when compared with his more studious schoolmates. There was no escape from the student life, and he could discover but one way to ameliorate his humiliating condition, and that was by hard study. Once fully resolved on this point, his really brilliant mind began to display its superior powers, and within two years he was in advance of those of his age and leading his classes. He taught school some and worked on the farm until he had reached his twenty-fifth year, and then came west and learned the mason trade, and also blacksmithing; those vocations he followed for many years in Beaver, Winona county. Having acquired some skill as a debater by attending lyceum in Vermont, he was frequently solicited to display his oratorical abilities as a pettifogger in Beaver and vicinity. His first appearance before a court was not such as tended to encourage his aspirations in that direction, he was pitted against a browbeating pettifogger, who knew enough to discover that Mr. Pope knew nothing of the business in hand, and the latter lost his case and felt very much crestfallen. A second encounter of this kind aroused his ire and grit, and though defeated he resolved to and did procure suitable law-books, and was well prepared to meet his pugilistic opponent, when for the third time he had occasion to appear before Justice H. B. Knowles and plead a case againt Mr. Oliver Porter, the browbeating pettifogger above mentioned. The latter undertook to employ his ususal tactics, and by physical force silence young Pope, but found his mild-mannered opponent of former suits was ablaze with wrath and bursting with rage. He had risen to his feet, and stretching his tall form to its greatest height, he threatened with fierce language both lawyer and court, and menaced that tribunal of justice with utter annihilation unless he should be permitted to conduct his case according to the rules of practice. The effect was excellent, and from that time forth no one ever attempted to browbeat the new aspirant for forensic honors. It was more than eight years after this little episode occurred before Mr. Pope applied for admission to the bar. October 17, 1873, he passed a creditable examination and was admitted to practice by the circuit court of Winona county. The following year he came to Plainview and opened a law office. The spring of 1875 he formed a copartnership with Hon. H. P. Wilson, and the following fall was elected probate judge for Wabasha county, and was re-elected to the same position in 1877. His copartnership with Mr. Wilson was dissolved in 1876, since which time Mr. Pope has continued to practice law without a partner. He is a member of the Masonic chapter and has thrice been elected master of the blue lodge of Plainview. He was married December 11, 1864, to Sarah L. Welch, daughter of Samuel and Louiza Welch, of Winona county, by whom he has one child now living, Frank, born March 6, 1880.
Post, Garrison D., (page 1325), Lake City, one of the most active business men of the county as a dealer in wheat and other grain, and whose operations are not confined alone to this county, but reach into adjoining counties that enjoy railroad advantages, where grain can be bought in bulk or car-load lots, came to Minnesota in 1854. He was born in Orange county, New York, October 12, 1825, and is the fourth child and third son of Moses and Maria (Brooks) Post of the same state. His great grandfather, David Post, was the founder of what is now Edenville, New York, was very wealthy, owning a township of land in Orange county, and was a prominent character during the Revolutionary was - furnishing supplies to the Colonial army during their long stay at Newburg. His nationality was German. The mother of our subject was of New England stock, from the State of Connecticut, whose ancestors were prominent American citizens back many generations. Mr. Post when about twenty-two years of age started in business for himself as a merchant in the Stat of Pennsylvania, where he made and lost a considerable amount of money. On his coming to Minnesota in 1854, he settled in Goodhue county on a farm, where he followed agricultural pursuits four or five years, and then came to Lake City and engaged in the grain trade. He first bought in with Bessey, where he in time became a heavy loser, after which he, in company with Mr. J. M. Culver, built a warehouse at the foot of Dwelle street, where they for many years did a large grain and commission business, at the same time doing the agency business for the Diamond Joe steam line. He some later built two other warehouses, which were, on the completion of the railroad, moved to it, near the depot, where they now do duty for storage and elevators. In 1872 Mr. Post was elected to the state legislature, and served four years, during which time the vexed question of the old state bonds, issued to aid in railroad construction, was forever settled. He subsequently served the city as mayor and alderman, and in fact has been identified with the city's interests during his long residence here. He was married in Orange county, New York, in 1847, to Miss Julia Durland, of the county, and to them have been born two children. The eldest, Elizabeth, is now Mrs. Charles Freeman, and resides at Elk Point, Dakota, and Seely B., in this city.
Powers, Lawrence, (page 1151), farmer, was born in County Waterford, Ireland, in 1818. In 1846 he espoused Johanna Nash, and soon after emigrated to America. He first went to Michigan, where he resided for several years. In 1868 relatives in Highland township, in Wabasha county, induced Mr. Powers and his family to come to Minnesota. The same year he purchased from Edward Nash the farm on section 7, Highland, on which he now resides, and which by hard labor and with the assistance of his sons, John and Patrick, he has greatly improved, one hundred and thirty-four acres of the quarter-section which comprises it being now in a high state of cultivation. The death of Mrs. Powers occurred here February 16, 1879. There were seven children born to this couple, three of whom, namely, John, Patrick and Margaret, reside with their father at home. Mr. Powers and his family are members of the Oakwood Catholic church. In politics father and sons are alike independent.
War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Preble, Turner J., (page 1013), farmer, is a great-grandson of James Preble, an Englishman. Benjamin, son of the latter, married Lydia Tibbetts, both born in Maine. Their son Turner was born in 1807 in Whitesfield, Lincoln county, that state; he married Temperance Eldredge, of Argyle, Penobscot county, daughter of Richard and Temperance (Wheldin) Eldredge. The subject of this sketch was born in Old Lemon, Hancock county, Maine, March 30, 1842. From 1850 to 1855 his parents resided in McKean county, Pennsylvania, and in the spring of the last-named year became a resident of Minnesota. The summer was spent on rented land opposite Hudson, Wisconsin. In the fall of that year Turner Preble settled at Mazeppa. During the following winter he hewed the timbers for the first mill built in that town. He took up government land near the village, which he held till 1865. He then sold and bought the farm on which he resides (section 7, Chester). The subject of this sketch received but a limited education, such as is afforded by the primitive schools of a new country. For some years after attaining his majority he continued to reside with his father and to assist him in farm operations. In 1868 he purchased eighty acres of land near his father's (partly in Zumbrota), which he still owns and tills. He is now the owner of two outlots in Mazeppa village, beside a half-interest in another on which himself and partner are building a gristmill at this writing. In the summer of 1883 he built a house near the millsite, in which he now dwells with his family. In 1868 he married May Lord, a native of New York; her father, Lewis Lord, was a native of Massachusetts, and his wife, Jane, of New York. Their children were born as below: Emma J., January 2, 1870; Lefa, February 19, 1873; Alonzo, July 28, 1876; George, August 3, 1878. Mr. Preble served a short time as a recruit in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art., enlisting January 28, 1865, and being discharged October 10 following. He was stationed at Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Price, George W., (page 970), farmer and stock-dealer, came to this county from Ohio, in 1856. He first settled in Hyde Park township, on the farm now owned by Mr. Riley. He removed to Gillford township in 1863, where he has since resided. He was married in 1860, to Elizabeth C. Craig, and five children have been born to them, all of whom are still living. Mr. Price has a farm of one hundred and seventy-six acres on sections 27 and 33, and is all under cultivation.
Pryor, Leonard, (page 1046), Zumbro, is a son of Heman (sic) and Submit Pryor, who removed from their native Massachusetts to Underhill, Chittenden county, Vermont, and settled on a farm. Here was born (April 22, 1811) and reared the subject of this sketch, receiving the benefit of the common schools. His has always been a life of hard labor and much of its fruits have been wrested from him by misfortune or unfair dealing. After reaching the age of sixty, he was compelled to pay a large sum through having endorsed a friend's paper; but he did not murmur, and is still cheerful and serene. September 8, 1831, he married Catharine R. Allen, born in Woodstock, January 13, 1810. Mrs. Pryor's parents, Cyrus and Sarah Allen, were also of Vermont birth. Mr. Pryor became a resident of Zumbro in the spring of 1858. After three years' residence here, he spent seven years at Farm Hill. He now has forty acres on section 18, where he lives. His religious faith is more nearly represented by the Quakers, and Mrs. Pryor is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Their children were born and reside as follows: Clara, July 31, 1883 (Mrs. Elias A. Lyman), Moorhead, Minnesota; Allen C., June 20, 1836, Round Prairie, this state; Norman J., January 3, 1839, this town; George H., August 28, 1841, Redwood, this state; Benjamin L., February 11, 1843, this town; Ellen C., May 19, 1851 (Mrs. W. W. Anderson), this town; Sidney R., May 8, 1854. The latter married Ellen May Phelps, May 18, 1880 and resides with parents.
Puetz, Peter, (page 1239), Watopa, farmer,
is the eldest son of Peter and Katrina (Schulters) Puetz, all born in the
village of Bruch, Luxemburg, Germany; this subject on February 27, 1826.
In 1856 the family set sail from Antwerp on the barque Liverpool, and landed
in New York after a voyage of fifty-five days. After a short residence at
Kenosha, Wisconsin, they proceeded to Dubuque county, Iowa, and came thence
to Watopa in 1863. This subject made a purchase on section 19, where he
now resides and tills a farm of two hundred and ninety-five acres, of which
two hundred acres are improved. He began his career as a farmer with a quarter-section
and his parents dwelt with him till their death; the father January 24,
1868, and the mother on August 13, same year. Two other sons, Hubert and
Matthias, settled near by and are now deceased, their families still dwelling
there. All are Roman Catholics. Peter Puetz always adheres to the democratic
party. His only public service has been in the capacity of school treasurer,
which office he has filled for the past two years. He was married in 1861,
the bride being Miss Margaret Henkels, who was born October 28, 1842, in
the village of Buse, Luxemburg, and came to America when three years old.
Her parents now reside in Dubuque county, Iowa. Six children were given
to Mr. and Mrs. Puetz, and christened in the same order: Peter, Margaret,
Matthias, Angeline, John and Mary. Peter, the eldest, now twenty-one years
old, is several inches over six feet in height.