War of Rebellion (Civil War)
Van Vleit, Major L. D.: (page 1232) The Van Vliets in America are all descendants of four brothers Van Vliet, who came from Holland about two hundred and fifty years since, and settled in New York and New England. Major Van Vliet is a scion of the New England branch, and was born in Chittenden county, Vermont, May 26, 1830. When he was nine years of age the family removed to Racine county, Wisconsin, which was thenceforth his home until he removed to this city, in 1867. Young Van Vliet's education was received in the schools of his native and adopted states, principally in Vermont, to which he returned for that purpose, taking an academic course. He was engaged in farming and stock raising until the second year of the war, when he was commissioned captain U. S. Vols., by President Lincoln, and assigned to duty with the army of the Tennessee as adjutant quartermaster, in which capacity he rendered efficient service to the department, and received promotion as well as honorable mention in the dispatches and reports. He was in charge of Gen. Grant's ammunition train, when the unsuccessful movement around the rear of Vicksburg was made, and was at Holly Springs, then occupied by about sixteen hundred Union soldiers, when raided by Van Dorn. Here he succeeded in eluding the vigilance of the rebel general, and also in saving the funds of the department, then in his hands. Of the sixteen hundred troops all were captured save Maj. Van Vliet and two other officers. His principal service, however, was as adjutant quartermaster, at Memphis, Tennessee, in charge of river transportation, which responsible, onerous post he held for three years, furnishing transportation to Gen. Grant's army in its successful movement down the river against Vicksburg, and actively engaged in the important movements along the Mississippi. His efficient services were recognized at Washington, and he was four times honorably mentioned in the quartermaster's reports to the secretary of war. Declining the recommendations proffered him for appointment to the regular army, Maj. Van Vliet remained at Memphis until the summer of 1866, when he was mustered out of the United States service, and returned to Wisconsin. The following year (1867) he removed with his family to this city, and three years later (1870) organized the First National Bank, became its cashier, and so continues. His financial standing and ability are fully recognized, and his influence in local affairs if evidenced in the history of county and city events. September 23, 1856, L. S. Van Vliet was married, at Racine, Wisconsin, to Miss M. L. Russell, also a native of Vermont, born May 2, 1834. Their children are: Mattie S., wife of E. A. Patton, M.D. of Minneapolis; Jennie A. and Jessie S. attending Lake City High School, the former a a member of the present senior class. The major has never lost his taste for fine stock. He is still an enthusiastic horseman, and owns some of the best bred trotting stock in the Northwest.
War of 1812
Vilas, Calvin Dickinson, M.D., (page 1288) was the first physician to locate in Lake City, and today is among its foremost and successful practitioners. His birth dates May 1, 1822, at Antwerp, Jefferson county, New York. His parents, Nathaniel Vilas and Betsey Dickinson, were born in New Hampshire, and the former enjoyed a government pension during his latter years, on account of services during the war of 1812. For many years the father operated a large tannery, which he built at Sterling Center, New York, and here our subject laid the foundation of a more complete education. After attending two courses of medical lectures at Pittsfield, Massachusetts, and a course at Woodstock, Vermont, he graduated at the latter place in 1846. In December of this year he married Mary C., daughter of William and Mary C. (Wright) Ford. Mrs. Vilas is four years her husband's junior, and was born in Antwerp, and reared in Sterling, New York. Dr. Vilas began the practice of his profession at Red Creek, Wayne county, New York, and subsequently spent a year in Oswego county. Thence he emigrated to Racine county, Wisconsin, and located in the town of Caledonia, where he continued in the practice of his profession nine years. In September, 1856, he removed to Lake City, where he permanently located, and soon built up a lucrative and successful practice, which has for many years occupied almost his entire time and attention. Despite the cares of his large practice, the doctor takes time to foster and encourage educational interests and the public schools. During his residence in Wisconsin, he served one year as superintendent of schools, and has been on the school board in Lake City the last six years, and was unanimously for the full term in the spring of 1884. Politically he has always stood by the republican party. His living children are: Walter N., practicing medicine at Racine, Wisconsin; Elbert E., at Clark, Dakota; George W., at St. Paul, Minnesota; Carrie M., died, aged seventeen years.