Search billions of records on

The Great Rebellion ~ The American Civil War
Accounts of Action and Rosters of the Men From
Wabasha County, Minnesota


The decendent of this Wabasha County man listed on the historical sketches page states that he served as follows:

Anson (Ansel) Carrier, age 29, enlisted in the Army in Marcy, Oneida County, NY September 1, 1864. He served as a private in the Battery, A Co., 1st Light Artillery Reg. NY. According to the report of the Adjutant-Genersl in the NY Roster published 1894-1906, he was mustered out at Elmira, NY on June 28, 1865.

The partial biographies (for the complete biography go to the link) of these Wabasha County men show that they served as follows:

Benjamin Franklin Baker, veterinary surgeon, was, during the War of the Rebellion, occupied in supplying horses to the government for cavalry and artillery purposes. He entered Company F, First Wisconsin Cavalry, and served one year. He re-enlisted as a veteran in 1862, in Company C, Twenty-eighth Wisconsin Volunteers. His service was in the western department of the Union army, and he was an actor in the battles of Helena, Arkansas, Columbus, Kentucky, Vicksburg, Mobile Bay, Capture of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, Little Rock, Red River Expedition and battle at Shreveport, Fort Donelson, Pensacola, Forts Morgan and Gaines, besides numerous smaller engagements. He was mustered out at Brownsville, Texas, in October, 1865.

Elam Black enlisted in the United States service, in Co. K, 31st Wis. Vols., and was discharged on account of ill health before the close of that year. In the spring of 1865 he again entered the service, in the 23d Ill. regt., and was stationed at Richmond, Virginia.

Theodore Bowen enlisted in the 184th regt., N. Y. Vols., and served till the close of the war.

Henry C. Brant enlisted in the 8th Minn., and accompanied Gen. Sully on his Indian expedition to the Yellowstone river. The next fall he was mustered out at St. Paul.

Capt. John W. Burnham enlisted in the army, after the call of three hundred thousand men by President Lincoln, and was made a sergeant in Co. C, 10th Inf., commanded by Capt. C. W. Hackett. He with the company were mounted and in service on the Minnesota frontier till February, 1863, when they went into winter quarters at LeSueur till May following. From May to October, 1863, the subject of this sketch was with his company in Sibley's expedition in Dakota, which marched thirteen hundred miles, fought four battles with Indians, and suffered much from hunger, thirst and fatigue. This expedition went north to Devil's lake, and west to the site of Bismarck, present capital of Dakota. In October, 1863, the regiment was sent to St. Louis, Missouri, on duty in the city. In May, 1864, it was sent into Kentucky and thence to Tennessee and Mississippi. Here, for the first time, Mr. Burnham was unable to do soldier's duty from ill health. July 25, 1864, he was commissioned lieutenant in Co. D, 121st U. S. Colored Inf. and was sent on recruiting service into Kentucky and there kept till June, 1865, when this regiment was consolidated with others into 13th regt. U. S. Heavy Art. (colored), Lieut, Burnham being assigned to Co. I. His health being very poor he obtained leave of absence and visited home. While away he was assigned temporarily for duty in 125th U. S. Colored Inf., then on duty at the military prison at Louisville, Kentucky. He was immediately recommended for commission in that regiment, and on the day his appointment came-the 13th U. S. Heavy Art. (colored) was being mustered out of service at Louisville-Lieut. Burnham was put in command of a company (H), and in six weeks was promoted. Not long after, Co. H was sent to Jackson, Michigan, for a time, but about New Year's, 1866, the whole regiment was rendezvoused at Cairo, Illinois, where it remained till spring, when it was ordered to Fort Union, New Mexico, by steamboat to Leavenworth, Kansas, and from thence marched. From Fort Union, Cos. H and G marched five hundred miles more to Fort Bliss, Texas, where they remained a year, marching back in September and October, 1867, over nearly the same route, to Ellsworth, Kansas, the nearest railroad station. From here they traveled by rail to Jefferson Barracks, where they intended to await the rest of the regiment; but the cholera broke among them, and several died. The rest were mustered out at once, and the remainder of the regiment December 31, 1867, the last volunteer regiment enlisted for the war. After his marriage in 1866, his wife accompanied him, and had a share in military life upon the frontier. Capt. Burnham draws no pension, although probably entitled to one, for the exposure and hardships of five years and three months' military service are enough to break down the strongest man.

Russell W. Carpenter enlisted in the 21st Iowa Vols., but owing to physical unsoundness was rejected by the surgeon.

Marcus Carson enlisted as a private in the 9th N. Y. Vol. Inf., and on organization was elected first lieutenant, which commission he held when discharged on account of disability.

Dr. Charles W. Crary, when the call came for additional troops in the fall of 1861, within twenty-four hours' time enlisted a full company of one hundred men, and tendered his services to the government. These enlistments were upon the express condition that Dr. Crary would remain with the company during its term of service. The company was accepted by the governor of the state, Dr. Crary was commissioned captain, and his command became Co. H, 98 regt. N. Y. Vols. The regiment was ordered to Washington, and in the following spring took the field under McClellan. Capt. Crary was with his regiment until May 31, 1862, when he was wounded at the battle of Fair Oaks, and sent to Annapolis, Maryland. Was in hospital there thirty days and then sent north on sick leave. Returned to his regiment at the expiration of sixty days, and being incapacitated for marching by the injury he had received, was released from his promise to remain with his company, and tendered his resignation as captain of Co. H, to accept the assistant-surgeoncy of the 114th regt. N. Y. Vols. He was soon afterward ordered to the department of the Gulf, under Banks, and reported at Port Hudson. He was in all the engagements fought by that command, ten in number, and served as medical purveyer of the corps (the 19th) until it was ordered to the Shenandoah valley in the summer of 1864. That same fall he was promoted surgeon, and assigned to duty with the 185th regt. N. Y. Vols., then before Petersburg. The doctor was subsequently breveted lieutenant-colonel in the medical department, for honorable and meritorious services in the field, and during the last six months of his service was acting brigade-surgeon of the 1st brigade, 1st division, 5th Army Corps. The war having closed, Dr. Crary was mustered out of the service at Syracuse, New York, July, 1865, after having been on active duty for nearly four years. During this time he was present in seventeen hotly-contested general engagements, besides numerous skirmishes. The chief of these actions were the battles of Fair Oaks, Port Hudson, Pleasant Hill, both of the Winchester fights, Hatcher's Run, Gravely Run and Southside Railroad. The same year that he left the army, Dr. Crary settled in Malone, New York, where he was enjoying a very considerable practice, which he relinquished to accept the post of contract-surgeon U. S. A., at Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, his brother-in-law, Maj. A. S. Kimball, being quartermaster of that department. He had been in Fort Gibson about eighteen months, when, in the spring of 1868, the smallpox broke out among the Indians at Cabin creek, some sixty miles up the Grand river from Fort Gibson. Having been recommended for that work by the agents of the Creek, Cherokee and Seminole Indians, Dr. Crary threw up his contract at Fort Gibson, and made special terms with Gen. Parker, commissioner for Indian affairs, to vaccinate all the Indians in the Creek, Cherokee and Seminole nations. Receiving due authority from Washington, and having made all arrangements with the medical department to forward him a fresh supply of non-humanized vaccine- virus every seven days, Dr. Crary entered upon his work. All the details of this service were thoroughly mastered and reduced to a system before it was commenced, and once entered upon it was not relinquished until under his own hand thirty thousand Indians had been vaccinated. The doctor was accompanied for weeks together while upon this duty with Mrs. Crary, camping out as they journeyed from station to station, at which the Indian runners had assembled detachments of the tribes in readiness for the doctor's coming. During the five months spent upon this service, the doctor and his wife only received the kindest and most hospitable treatment at the hands of the tribes among whom they sojourned.

David Cronin became a member of the 8th Minn. Vol. Inf., and was engaged in border warfare with the Indians, when he died at Fort Abercrombie, where his remains now rest.

Capt. Daniel Davison offered his services as volunteer in the 3d Minn. regt., but was refused on account of a partially crippled hand.

Thomas L. Dwelle enlisted in the three months service of the United States. As soon as his time expired he was enrolled in Co. I, 1st Minn. Vols., and served in the army of the Potomac. At the battle of Ball's Bluff he received a bullet wound through the right shoulder, by which he was disabled, and was discharged in February, 1862.

Caleb C. Emery enlisted in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art., and was stationed at Chattanooga till the close of the war.

Joseph E. Favrowm enlisted for three years in Co. G, 8th Minn. Vols., and served two years on the western frontier, participating in the battle of Stony Ridge, Dakota, and in several other slight engagements with the Indians. The remainder of his term was passed with the western army in fighting rebels, taking a hand in the battles of the Cedars (near Murphreesboro) and Kingston, North Carolina, and was discharged at the close of the war.

Hon. William H. Feller received a commission from the war department at Washington, as sutler of the 28th regt. Wis. Vols., and served with his regiment during the war until it was mustered out of the service at Madison, Wisconsin, during September, 1865.

Jacob Gengnagle enlisted, June 30, 1862, in Co. L, 3d Mass. Cav., and was in the service eighteen months, until disabled by a gunshot wound in the right elbow, and was discharged.

Oliver, Jr. Gibbs enlisted as battalion adjutant, 2d Wis. Cav., under Col. C. C. Washburn. After about one year's field service he was transferred to a confidential clerkship under Sec. Stanton, which he resigned in 1869 on account of failing health, contracted while in military service.

Henry W. Gilman enlisted as a private in Co. A., 28th regt. of Maine Vol. Inf. Mr. Gilman served with his regiment under Gen. N. P. Banks, and was engaged in the siege of Port Hudson, being present at its surrender, July 8, 1863. After this Mr. Gilman was sent to the hospital at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and in the fall of 1863 he was honorably discharged from the service on account of sickness, holding at the time the rank of sergeant.

John R. Goodenough's father spent over three years in the war of the rebellion as a member of the 19th Wis. Vol. Inf., and participated in all the severe marches and trying campaigns and battles of that brave regiment. John himself enlisted in Co. G, 8th Minn. Vol, Inf., in which he served as a faithful soldier three years (see 8th Minn.), when he was honorably discharged and returned to Lake City.

Allen J. Greer enlisted as a private in the war for the Union, and died of pneumonia at Helena, Arkansas, February 18, 1862, having risen to the rank of second lieutenant.

Martin A. Grove enlisted in the 38th Wis., Co. G, and went to near Petersburg, Virginia, in South Side Railroad battle, and other skirmishes before Petersburg for about two months, then (April 2, 1865) the taking of Petersburg and Richmond. Here he was wounded by a shot through the left arm, below the elbow, which has disabled his arm.

Eli B. Guptil enlisted in the 16th Wis. Inf. He was in the battle of Shiloh, siege and second battle of Corinth; then started for Vicksburg, but being cut off by Van Dorn returned to Memphis, then to Vicksburg siege for a time, then in Louisiana; then after a furlough of thirty days at home, under Sherman through to the sea; then to Beaufort, Columbia, Goldsboro, Raleigh, Richmond, Washington, the great review; then the 17th army corps were sent to Louisville, Kentucky, where they were mustered out in July, 1865. For over two years he never slept under a roof or ate at a table.

Hon. William John Hahn spent two months after the Indian outbreak with the expedition against them. He also served in the army three months in Pennsylvania.

Samuel Hall (The following information was supplied by a descendent of Samuel Hall:) Samuel enlisted in the 1st Minnesota Heavy Artillery, Company K, on March 6, 1865 (at age 36). He injured his middle finger, right hand about June 10, 1865, and was discharged on September 27, 1865. He applied for a pension, and was paid $12.00 per month at the time of his death in 1901. His Pension Number is 658,816. Samuel's son-in-law, David Huddleston (married his oldest daughter, Jane) signed an affidavit in support of his pension claim. David Huddleston also served in the 2nd Minnesota Cavalry (his 3 other brothers also served).

James C. Hassinger entered the Union army, enlisting in the 49th Penn. regt., which served in the army of the Potomac. Mr. Hassinger was an actor in many serious engagements, among the most important of which may be mentioned those of Second Bull Run, Yorktown, the seven days before Richmond, Antietam, Gettysburg, battles of the Wilderness and Winchester. In the seven days' fight in front of Richmond he was made prisoner, and lay in confinement at Libby prison and Belle Isle four months. He was then exchanged and resumed active service. In October, 1864, he was honorably discharged, having served a term of three years and earned a retirement from the hardships of war.

William A. Helt joined the United States army, in 1863, in Co. G, 118th Penn. Vols. The principal engagement in which he took part of that of Antietam. He was sometime confined by illness in hospital, and himself took charge for several months of a smallpox hospital. He was discharged in September, 1865, and returned to Lake City, whither his wife had preceded him. The hardships and sickness endured in the army sowed the seeds of disease in his constitution, and from its effects he was forced to give up the ghost November 22, 1880..

Marquis L Hendricks was the sixth man who enlisted from Wabasha County in the country's service on the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion. He enlisted in April, 1861, in Co. I, First Minnesota regiment, and took part in thirty- two active engagements, beside skirmishes. The following reference to the services of this worthy patriot is taken from the Wabasha Herald of May, 1864: "Return Of A Veteran Marquis L. Hendricks, one of the original First Minnesota Volunteers, returned to his home in the town of Greenfield, this county, last Friday. We had the honor of crossing palms with this veteran of thirty-two engagements. He is a young man of unassuming manners and gentlemanly in his deportment. The stuff that patriots are made of is embodied largely in his composition. He served in the First Minnesota until November, 1862, at which time he was transferred to the First United States Regular Cavalry, in which regiment he fought in some fifteen successive engagements. On account of the daring valor he had displayed on former occasions, he was designated as a dispatch bearer at the battle of Fredericksburg. In which engagement he had two horses shot under him and received a wound in the arm a buckshot having passed through the fleshy part of his arm midway between the elbow and writs. In this same engagement a fragment of shell, weighing about half an ounce, struck him in the neck, yet he did not give up the field until nightfall put an end to the bloody strife. He was mustered out of the service a few days since at Culpepper, Virginia, with the few other survivors of the original gallant and glorious First having served three years with honor and credit to his country. It has been truly said, that it is more of an honor to boast of having belonged to the Minnesota First, than to command the finest regiment that was ever sent to the field from the Empire of Keystone States.

George H. Hobbs enlisted in the war for the Union as a member of Co. I, 11th Wis. Vol. Inf., in 1861. Soon after his connection with military affairs he was transferred to the naval service and assigned a position as first assistant engineer on the gunboat Osage on its famous expedition up the Red River.

Edward Franklin Hopkins, step-son of Rev. E. A. Standish. Mr. Standish's sons, Merit G. and Miles E. joined the 1st and 3d regiments respectively, Minn. Vols., leaving Edward, the only remaining boy, at home to work the farm.

Manasses S. Hostetter entered the United States service, and served till the close of the civil war in Co. H, 8th Minn. Regt. During the last year he was stationed at different points in the south, and the balance of his service was rendered on the western frontier in subduing the bloodthirsty Sioux. Many a weary march was made through the "bad lands," with the prospect of an ambush behind every pinnacle.

Laconius M. Howard entered the 186th N. Y. regt., and served in the army of the Potomac till the close of the civil war. The battle of Petersburg was the only serious engagement in which he participated.

John E. Hyde enlisted at Chicago, in the 156th Ill. regt., as a private. He was soon made orderly sergeant, and when his ability as clerk and accountant was discovered, he was made captain's clerk. This regiment was chiefly occupied in chasing guerrillas, and on three different occasions Mr. Hyde went through a forced march of ninety miles in three days in excellent form. In July, at Cleveland, Tennessee, he received a sunstroke, from which he never recovered, and is now unable to walk about without assistance. In partial compensation for his loss of health the United States government pays him a liberal pension.

Dr. P. A. Jewell was appointed during the war of 1861-5 to the hospital service in Washington, and there did the government efficient service.

Andrew K. Johnson enlisted in the 9th Minnesota Regiment, and served eight months on the Western frontier. At the end of this time he was discharged on account of disability and sent home to die. With characteristic determination he refused to yield up the ghost, although he has never fully recovered his health.

John Kennedy served a year in the United States army, entering Co. D, 3d Minn. regt., in October 1864. He served in Sherman's march to the sea, but was in no active engagements.

Children of James L. Kimble: De Grove A. served in Co. G, 3d Minn. Vols., and died of wounds received in the battle of Wood Lake. Albert L. served two and one-half years in Hatch's battalion at Fort Abercrombie.

Hon. Francis W. Knapp was a soldier in the 10th Minn. for three years, and lost two fingers from his right hand in the last charge at Nashville, for which he draws a pension of ten dollars per month, and ranked as sergeant when discharged.

Herman Lawson, enlisted for the three-months service in Co. I, 1st Inf. regt. Minn. Vols., and was mustered in at Fort Snelling on the 29th of that month. Before proceeding to the seat of war the members of the regiment were given their choice, either to be mustered out of service or enlist for the term of three years. The majority re- enlisted, Mr. Lawson among the rest, and he was with the gallant First during all the glorious services rendered the government during its continuance in the field. Mr. Lawson was severely wounded at the first Bull Run battle, but was never absent from the regiment, being in regimental hospital, and as soon as possible joined his command. He also received two slight wounds at Gettysburg, but not of sufficient severity to compel him to leave the field.

John H. Lewis was in the service of the United States during the late war as a private in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art.

Dr. Q. A. Low enlisted at eighteen in 2d Minn. Cav., and was with his regiment, from the fall of 1864, on duty at the frontier until he was mustered out of service at the close of war.

Nicholas J. Majerus enlisted on August 16, 1862, in Co. G., 7th Minn. Inf., under Capt. Williston, and served three years and one day. For fourteen months the regiment was employed in fighting the Indians, and saw some lively skirmishing. In October, 1863, it joined the army of the Tennessee, and was active in several hard-fought battles. Among the principal ones were those of Tupelo, Tallehatchie, Nashville, and the Mobile forts.

Andrew Marshall: On account of exposure while in the army, his eyesight was very materially injured, and entirely lost for over a year, but he contrived to earn a livelihood and has always been independent. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in the 11th Wis. Vol. Inf., and was assigned to Co. K. This regiment served as skirmishers for the western army, most of the time in Missouri and Arkansas. In 1863 he was discharged on account of disability, and was laid up nearly a year at Neenah, Wisconsin, by blindness. When the inflammation of his eyes was partially relieved, his wife was accustomed to lead him to a cooper- shop, where he managed to earn enough to keep the wolf from their door.

Augustus Mathews: responded by enlistment in April, 1861, at the first call for troops, but his regiment (the 10th Me.) was not mustered in until the following September. He participated in the battles at Winchester, Cedar Mountain, South Mountain and Antietam, beside many less serious engagements. Nearly one-fourth of the regiment was lost at Cedar Mountain, and nineteen of his company of forty-six was lost.

John McBride was, during the early part of the late war, a United States recruiting officer, and was for eight years commissioner of deeds for the State of Wisconsin, appointed by Gov. Fairchild.

Gen. Seth L. McCarty was a veteran of the patriot war that broke out in 1837. Since then, on one occasion only has the peace been sufficiently disturbed to rouse the old warlike nature in his breast and drive him to the front, and that was during the Indian outbreak which occurred in Minnesota in 1862, though he held a commission as major in the state militia from 1860.

Patrick McDonough enlisted February 22, 1862, in Co. H, 5th Minn. regt., and served in the western army. He was an actor in the battles of Vicksburg, Nashville, Corinth, Iuka, Jackson, Champion Hills and the Red River expedition. He was hurt by a fall in the night, but served out his time and was discharged in September, 1865.

Thomas McDonough worked during the rebellion on the government transports. In 1863 Gov. Ramsey commissioned him as second lieutenant of the 8th Minn. Militia.

Walter McNallan enlisted in the 10th Minn., served three years, and was honorably discharged August 25, 1865. He receives four dollars a month pension for a wound to the right thigh.

F. H. Milligan, M.D., was commissioned assistant surgeon of the 3d Minn. Inf., October 15, 1861, and served until April of the following year, when he resigned and returned home. In December, 1864, he was again in the service, holding commission as assistant surgeon in the 10th Minn. Inf., and remained with that command until it was mustered out at the close of the war.

Capt. J. H. Mullen saw over four years of active service, having enlisted June 5, 1861, and being mustered out in August, 1865, as captain of Co. C, 12th regt. Conn. Vol. Inf. The captain saw service with Gen. McClellan on the peninsula; was with Butler's forces at New Orleans, with Bank's command at Port Hudson, and on the Red River campaign; with Grant at Petersburg, and the battles around Richmond; then with Sheridan in the Shenandoah valley, returning with him to Petersburg, and participating in the closing struggle of the war at Five Forks; was with the army in the grand review at Washington, and being ordered to Savannah, Georgia, did not go immediately north, but was in the service until August, when they returned home and were mustered out at Hartford, August, 1865.

John Bacon Norton enlisted as a recruit in the Seventh Minnesota regiment, Company B, and served till August 17, 1865. He participated in the battles of Tupalo, Nashville, and the Spanish Forts, at Mobile, and in several hard marches.

Orcutt, Lemuel J., a Civil War veteran and retired farmer, who for 21 years has been a resident of Plainview Village, was born in Perry, Wyoming County, N. Y., February 2, 1840. He grew to manhood in his native state, and on September 13, 1862, enlisted for service in the Federal army. He took part in the bloody battles of Gettysburg and Spottsylvania, and was honorably discharged June 12, 1865, after a service of two years and nine months.
Orcutts in the Civil War
Contact Fellow Genealogist: Tom

W. S. Piers enlisted in the 1st regt. Minn. Rangers, for the Indian campaign on the frontiers and was there until mustered out in 1864.

Emric Polson enlisted in the 8th Ill. Cav., and served one an one-half years under McClellan and Burnside. He was discharged and came to Minnesota and enlisted in the 2d Minn. Cav., and served in Gen. Sulla's expedition to the Yellowstone and Bad Lands.

O. H. Porter enlisted as a musician; was afterward promoted fife-major, and was mustered out of service in 1863, returning to Wisconsin.

Turner J. Preble served a short time as a recruit in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art., enlisting January 28, 1865, and being discharged October 10 following. He was stationed at Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Michael H. Quigley was elected captain of Co. E., 7th Minn. state militia, but did not go into active service.

Philip Quigley served through the war of the rebellion in Co. G, 3d Minn. Vols., entering as private, and rising to the rank of first lieutenant. His brother Edward also served three years in the same company.

Samuel Radebaugh enlisted in the 10th Minn., at Fort Snelling, but soon after was taken sick and died, seeing no active service.

Charles R. Read enlisted in the army for the defense of the southwestern frontier, and was in service in the Indian Territory and Texas until 1844. He was major of the 6th Inf. Regt. From 1861-3, and in that capacity was temporarily in command of the defenses on the frontier for some weeks. He was also elected colonel of the 8th regt., state militia, May 3, 1863, but the regiment was soon legislated out of existence.

George C. Richmond enlisted under Uncle Sam's banner in the Twenty-fourth Wisconsin Infantry, and served with this regiment to the close of the rebellion, with the exception of ten months that he was detailed to service in the First Kentucky Battery. He was with Sherman until he reached Atlanta, and from that place returned with Thomas to Nashville, and participated in many of the severest and most closely contested engagements of the war.

Justus G. Rose entered the Union army, being then in his nineteenth year, and served till the close of the civil war, as a recruit in Co. C., 4th Minn. Vols. He bore a part in Sherman's march to the sea and to Richmond, but was in no heavy engagements. He participated in several skirmishes, and witnessed the burning of Columbia, South Carolina. He was discharged in June, 1865, and returned to Minnesota.

Morris C. Russell says, "I became a member of a militia company, the Tipton Guards, commanded by that old Mexican veteran Capt. Hammond, in which, owing to my 'main strength and awkwardness,' I presume, I was made a sergeant. During the summer we served through what was known as the 'Iowa Horse Thief War,' immediately following the conclusion of which we were ordered to the frontier to quell the Indians who had broken out in what passed into history as the 'Spirit Lake Massacre.' Before reaching the bloody ground, however, the order was countermanded, much to our relief. After this, I resigned from the company, and also threw up my position of 'printer's devil' in the 'Advertiser' office, and returned to Minnesota-two wars in one summer being more than I had contracted for, even 'in my mind.' I walked to Fort Snelling from Belle Plaine, at which latter place I resigned my position of first lieutenant in what soon afterward became Co. A., 4th Minn. Inf., because the company voted not to join in any regiment that was likely to be ordered south. When the vote was announced, in my boyish and enthusiastic rage I tore my sword from its scabbard and flung it through the air; it fell point first, and I turned impetuously away, leaving it sticking in the prairie, and, as before stated, walked without stopping fifty miles to the fort, arriving just in time to get into Co. K, 2d Minn. Inf., with which I served nearly a year in Kentucky and Tennessee, and was finally discharged on account of disability received in the line of duty, and from being over-zealous in seeking out and performing hard duty, and consequent exposure in the inclement weather of a southern winter in the field. I would say here, however, that the 4th Minn. Inf. soon followed the Second south, and no braver men nor better soldiers ever wore the blue of patriotism than the members of the Fourth, and the members of Co. A afterward had the privilege of seeing and doing far more for their country than did their pettish lieutenant who threw his sword away at Belle Plaine. Upon my return to Minnesota, although in feeble health, I was just in time to go as a volunteer scout for Gen. Sibley in the Sioux war, consequent upon the awful massacre that deluged the Minnesota valley with blood, and during which probably two thousand helpless men, women and children were put to the scalping-knife and tomahawk along our western border. Five of us, mounted on powerful horses, Sheriff Frank McGrade, of Scott county, Garry Du Co's (recently returned from the 1st Minn. Inf., disabled, like myself) two farmer brothers, named Kearney and myself, were ordered to go all through the county north of the valley and ascertain the true conditions of things, and join Sibley and his army at St. Peter and report, he moving up the south side of the river, hastening to the relief of Fort Ridgely, New Ulm and other points. This scouting expedition was a memorable experience, and braver and nobler men never lived that the four who accompanied me. When we started from Carver, on this expedition, we numbered forty horsemen, but in that first terrible night's ride through the dark woods all had turned back save we five before midnight. We, however, kept on, and scoured the whole country through to Hutchinson, swinging around through the prairie country, and reporting to the general as directed. We met no hostile body of Indians, fortunately for us, but saw much of their devilish work. Very much worn out, with five ruined horses, we returned home in safety."

M. Schram enlisted in Co. C., 3d Board of Trade regt., when he served his adopted country three years.

Alexander Selover enlisted as a recruit in Co. A. 1st Heavy Art., which was stationed most of the time till the close of the war at Chattanooga. More fortunate than many, Mr. Selover's mess were able to purchase food during a forty days' stress, caused by cutting off of supplies, when most of the garrison was placed on quarter-rations.

Henry Selover enlisted in the 8th Minn. Vol. Inf.; was with his regiment till the close of the war.

Major Francis W. Seeley enlisted in February, 1855, in Sherman's battery, 3d Art., then stationed at Fort Snelling, and served till the opening of the civil war, as a non-commissioned officer, on the western frontier. On September 19, 1860, he was breveted second lieutenant by President Buchanan, and on February 4 following was made second lieutenant in the 4th Art.; May 14 thereafter he was promoted to first lieutenant, and served as adjutant-general of the department of Florida, where he was then stationed. July 11, 1863, he was made captain, 4th Art. He is the only officer, below the grade of field officer, mentioned by Greeley in his history of the rebellion. May 30, 1863, he was promoted to be a brevet captain, and July 2 following major, for "gallant conduct in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg." Both promotions were confirmed by the senate. In the first-named memorable battle his battery fired the last Union shot, and he retired, under orders, with heavy loss in both men and horses. At the conclusion of the battle (Chancellorsville) of Sunday, Captain F. W. Seeley's battery, which was the last battery that fired a shot in that battle, had one officer and forty enlisted men killed and wounded, and in the neighborhood of sixty horses killed or disabled; but being a soldier of great pride and ambition, and not wishing to leave any of his material in the hands of the enemy, he withdrew so entirely at his leisure that he carried off all his wounded men and even the accoutrements from his dead and disabled horses!-See Vol. 1, page 9. Report of the committee on the conduct of the war, 1865. In his offical report of the battle of Gettysburg, Maj.-Gen. A. A. Humphreys says: "Seeley's battery, 'K, 4th U. S. Art.' was placed at my disposal. * * * The firing of Seeley's battery was splendid, and excited my admiration, as well as that of every officer who beheld it. His loss in men and horses was heavy, including himself, twice severely wounded." Maj. Seeley was twice wounded on this occasion, and was ultimately forced by the effects of his injuries and exposure to resign his commission, which he did on August 31, 1864. Besides the battles above named, he participated in the following engagements: Battle of Santa Rosa Islands, Florida; bombardment of Forts McRae and Barrancas, Florida; siege of Yorktown; battles of Fair Oaks, Malvern Hill, Fredericksburg and others. After leaving the army he returned to Wabasha county and engaged in farming for three years, but was forced to give it up on account of physical disability, the result of his wounds.

S. Oakey Seymour enlisted at Fort Snelling in Co. I, 1st Minn. Vols. He served in twenty-two battles, among them First Bull Run, in which he was wounded, Ball's Bluff, Yorktown and others. He lives in the enjoyment of only a trivial pension for his services.

Francis W. Shaw enlisted in Co. C, 4th Minn. Inf., and served three years and eleven days. He was at the siege and battle of Corinth, Mission Ridge, Altona, siege of Vicksburg, and many others.

Joel B. Sheldon enlisted August, 1862, in Co. H, 8th Minn. Vols. Served on the western frontier, participating in several Indian engagements; discharged on account of ill health, January, 1865. Shortly before entering the service his arm was cut by a scythe, and his army exposure prevented a permanent and full recovery, and he is often troubled and much weakened by the injury.

Charles H. Sibley was born in 1818. On February 3, 1862, he enlisted in the 5th Minn. regt., Co. H, under Capt. Morehouse. This regiment served in the western army, and Mr. Sibley was an actor in the battle scenes at First Corinth, where his hip was dislocated by a fall from a bridge, and he was rendered unfit for service. He was accordingly discharged. On August 15, 1864, he joined the 1st Minn. Heavy Art. as cook, and continued with this regiment till the close of the war.

Colin Sinclair, though only sixteen years of age, possessed the manhood and courage to enlist in the cause of his country against an unjust rebellion, as a member of Co. G, 8th Minn. Vol. Inf. He followed the fortunes of war for nearly three years, taking a part in the border warfare on the frontier against the savages, who were attempting to devastate the pioneer Minnesota settlements. After peace was restored, and the army disbanded, Mr. Sinclair returned to his home in Lake City.

Evander Skillman enlisted in the 3d Minn. Inf., and was made first lieutenant of Co. G. He was soon commissioned regimental quartermaster. At the battle of Murfreesboro, in July, 1862, he was made prisoner with the regiment, but soon paroled. Returning to this state, he went on an expedition against the Sioux, on Red River, and was in several skirmishes with them at Fort Abercrombie. After being exchanged, he returned to the south, and was detailed in the early spring of 1864, as quartermaster of the 113th U. S. regt. of colored soldiers. He participated in the capture of Vicksburg and Little Rock, and in the battle of Fitzhugh's woods, on the White river. After the close of the war of the rebellion, Mr. Skillman served on the Texas frontier, and was discharged on April 6, 1866.

Nelson B. Smith enlisted in the 2d independent company of U. S. Sharpshooters, and was with the army of the Potomac from that time till the close of the war. The only engagements he missed were those of the first Bull's Run and Ball's Bluff. He was never in ambulance or in hospital. The only wound he received was in his haversack, a ball piercing a can of meat that was to serve as his rations. Thus his stomach was affected. In February, 1864, he re-enlisted, and received one month's furlough.

Ova N. Smith's death was, no doubt, the result of exposure in the United States service. In 1863 he joined an independent company of mechanics' fusileers, then forming for service in the war of the rebellion. After lying in Camp Douglas at Chicago for six months the company was disbanded without being called into service. While here Mr. Smith contracted inflammatory rheumatism, by which he was entirely disabled for some time, and from which he never fully recovered.

Smith, Silas Gerome, entered Co. A., 3d Minn. regt., as a recruit. He was placed on detached service, and remained at Duvall's Bluff most of the time till discharged, July 28, 1865.

Carl Christian Stauff, M.D. enlisted in the defense of the Union in Co. C, 4th Minn. Vols.

T. P. Stearns is a native of Columbia, South Carolina. When the war began he joined Gov. Watts' scouts and fought for the country of his birth, a lad though he was. When twenty years old he sought a northern home, his southern one destroyed, and lived with his uncle in Monroe, Wisconsin, for a time.

Henry Davis Stocker left the law for the army, and assisted in raising Co. M of the 16th Ill. Cav., which company he commanded until the battle of Jonesville, Virginia, January 3, 1864, where he and his whole company were made prisoners of war. In this battle Capt. Stocker was so severely wounded, having received two saber cuts on the head, and two bullets in his body, that he could not be removed with his comrades, and he was left at a house near by the scene of battle, where he remained for two months. As his wounds began to heal, he discovered the family under whose roof he was were in sympathy with the Union army, and although he was so ill that a rebel officer stripped him of his clothing, saying as he dragged his overcoat from under his wounded head, "Here, you won't need this much longer, and I shall," yet he longed to escape, that he might die, if indeed he must, under the shadow of the stars and stripes. With the aid of faithful Negroes he was disguised and placed upon a horse, where they conveyed him to the Cumberland mountains and bid him, "Godspeed, Massa." Notwithstanding the reopening of his wounds, and the many difficulties he met with, he reached the Cumberland river in safety, where another Negro, with no small difficulty, obtained a boat for him. Alone the wounded man floated down the stream, until he deemed it safe to cross the country and gain the federal army, where the welcome he received more than compensated for his past sufferings. After a few months furlough, he joined Gen. Sherman's army, in his march to the sea, where he was assigned a position in Gen. Schofield's staff. He participated in the battles of Allatoona and Atlanta, and Kennesaw mountains. Owing to the severity of his wounds, which unfitted him for active field service, he was assigned the position of provost marshall at Nicholasville, Kentucky, which position he held until December, 1864, when on account of the suffering which his unhealed wounds caused him, he was reluctantly compelled to accept an honorable discharge.

Timothy Stout, son of Elijah Stout, served as captain of Co. I, 2d Minn. regt., during the civil war, and was wounded at the battle of Mill Spring.

Augustus W. Stowman entered the 1st Minn. Heavy Art. as a recruit, and did garrison duty at Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Andrew J. Taft served nine months as a recruit in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art. at Chattanooga.

G. W. Tenney enlisted in the 10th Minn. Inf., and was sent to the frontier. Before the regiment was ordered south Mr. Tenney was taken sick, completely lost his voice, was unable to speak, and was discharged on that account, having been in the service a little over a year. August 8, the same day that he enlisted in the army, Mr. Tenney married Miss Clara Stone, Olmsted county, Minnesota.

Lymon E. Thorp enlisted in Co. G., 8th Minn. Vol. Inf. His first two years' military service was in border warfare on the frontier, crossing the plains to the Yellowstone, under command of Gen. Sulley. The regiment was then ordered south, where it did garrison duty till the close of the war.

Christian Umbreit enlisted as a private in Co. E, 1st Minn. Heavy Art., and was discharged September 27, 1865.

Andrew D. Van Buren enlisted in Co. B, 11th Wis. Vol. Inf., and served till the close of the war. Soon after the charge on Fort Blakely he was discharged and returned home.

Major L. D. Van Vleit, in the second year of the war was commissioned captain U. S. Vols., by President Lincoln, and assigned to duty with the army of the Tennessee as adjutant quartermaster, in which capacity he rendered efficient service to the department, and received promotion as well as honorable mention in the dispatches and reports. He was in charge of Gen. Grant's ammunition train, when the unsuccessful movement around the rear of Vicksburg was made, and was at Holly Springs, then occupied by about sixteen hundred Union soldiers, when raided by Van Dorn. Here he succeeded in eluding the vigilance of the rebel general, and also in saving the funds of the department, then in his hands. Of the sixteen hundred troops all were captured save Maj. Van Vliet and two other officers. His principal service, however, was as adjutant quartermaster, at Memphis, Tennessee, in charge of river transportation, which responsible, onerous post he held for three years, furnishing transportation to Gen. Grant's army in its successful movement down the river against Vicksburg, and actively engaged in the important movements along the Mississippi. His efficient services were recognized at Washington, and he was four times honorably mentioned in the quartermaster's reports to the secretary of war. Declining the recommendations proffered him for appointment to the regular army, Maj. Van Vliet remained at Memphis until the summer of 1866, when he was mustered out of the United States service, and returned to Wisconsin.

W. S. Walton enlisted in Co. K, 34th regt. N. Y. Vol. Inf., which was mustered into the United States service for the term of two years. Mr. Walton was made orderly sergeant of his company, was subsequently promoted second lieutenant, then first lieutenant of his company, then captain of Co. H, same regiment, and was mustered out as such at the close of the term for which the regiment took service. The regiment was in active duty upon the peninsula until just before the battle of Gettysburg, and during those years of active struggle Capt. Walton saw his share of hard fighting. He was wounded in the right side at Fair Oaks, and in the left thigh at the battle of Nelson's Farm, at which latter place he was taken prisoner and sent to Libby Prison Hospital, from which he was exchanged after weeks' confinement, and came north, recovering from his wounds so as to rejoin his command at Harper's Ferry. He returned home at the expiration of his two years' term of service.

William H. Warring served three years in the Union army. He enlisted in the fall of 1861 in Co. G, 3d Minn. Inf., and served in the Western army. Was taken prisoner at Murphreesboro, and spent six months in prison. At Vicksburg was taken sick and suffered much through disease.

J. P. Waste M.D. served as assistant surgeon in the 193d Ohio Inf. for eight months.

John Henry Wehrenberg joined the Union army in February, 1865, and served nine months in the 1st Minn. Heavy Art., stationed at Chattanooga.

Andrew J. Wildes entered the United States army on January 4, 1862, in Co. G, 5th Minn. Vols., and served in the western army; was a participator in the battles at second Corinth and Iuka. Was discharged on account of illness in September, 1863, and returned home. Having recovered his health in the northern climate, he re-enlisted in December of the latter year as a recruit in the 1st Minn. Regt., and served in garrison duty on the Potomac till the close of the war.

Rufus C. Wright. The breaking out of the rebellion found him in Ohio, and soon after the first battle of Bull Run he was on his way to New York with a company of Ohio boys to join the Union army; was there mustered into the 65th N. Y. Vol. Inf., commanded by Col. John Cochrane. He was with McClellan in his Peninsular campaign, participated in the battles of Williamsburgh, Fair Oaks and Malvern Hill, being wounded in the two last battles - at Malvern Hill severely in right shoulder and lung, - taken prisoner, had a month's experience in the prisons of Richmond; from there paroled and taken to hospital at Chester, Pennsylvania; was from there discharged from the service in December, 1862, and remained out about one year, when he re- enlisted in the 10th Mass. Battery, and served under Grant in the army of the Potomac until the close of the war, having been in most of the leading battles from the Wilderness to final surrender of Lee's army at Appomattox Court House. He was a second time discharged from the service at Boston Harbor in June, 1865, having served in all about three years in the army

Louis Young entered Bat. M, 1st Ill. Light Art. in 1862, being then but eighteen years old, and served over three years as United States soldier. Participated in thirteen battles and forty-two skirmishes, being twice slightly wounded, and was honorably discharged September 2, 1865. The most important engagements wherein he was an actor were those at Chickamauga, Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, Resaca and Allatoona. During his service he was confined in hospital eight months, his life being several times given up by his surgeon. Only his determination saved his life.

Jesse Youngs' eldest son, Enoch Youngs, enlisted in February, 1862, in the 5th Minn. Vols., and was shot in Texas by guerrillas in 1864. He left a wife and five children.

The following information was contributed by Marj Mountainsong

Charles Mann, the son of William Mann of Mt. Pleasant township, who is listed in the 1860 census and in the 1870 census (as head of his own household), served in the 8th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry. He applied for a pension on Sept. 23, 1884 and his widow (Sarah) applied on Dec. 13, 1905. I found these records at the National Archives in San Francisco as I was unable to get the Internet web sites to deliver the correct file card to my screen.

Both of the older sons of William Mann served in the Civil War with Horace F. Mann serving from Wabasha County in the Second Cavalry Regiment.