Birds and the Winona County Press, Winona County, Minnesota
Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
Winona County, Minnesota
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE: BIRDS
AND THE WINONA COUNTY PRESS
Pages 399-405 From the book
"History of Wabasha County" Published in 1884
Concerning Wabasha and Winona Counties in Minnesota
BIRDS OF WINONA COUNTY
Our thanks to Anthony Hertzel for providing the recognized names of these birds which appear in brackets. Click HERE for The Minnesota Ornithologist's Union.
This list has duplications, misspellings, omissions and other peculiarities. It may be that the information was solicited from several local birders and that the editors, not being birders themselves, simply included all information that had been given.
The following are the birds known to exist in this county:
duck hawk [Peregrine Falcon]
pigeon hawk (common) [Merlin]
sparrow hawk [American Kestrel]
marsh hawk [Northern Harrier]
harrier or mouse hawk [Northern Harrier]
red-tailed hawk (common)
red-shouldered hawk (scarce)
great-horned owl [Great Horned Owl]
screech owl [Eastern Screech-Owl]
barred owl (summer)
saw-whet owl [Northern Saw-whet Owl]
*hawk owl [Northern Hawk Owl]
day owl [Burrowing Owl, but may be Hawk Owl]
black-backed three-toed woodpecker [Black-backed Woodpecker]
yellow-bellied woodpecker [Yellow-bellied Sapsucker]
ileated (sic ~ should be pileated) woodpecker
log cock [Pileated Woodpecker]
pigeon woodpecker [Northern Flicker]
chimney swallow [Chimney Swift]
night hawk [Common Nighthawk]
bull-bat [Common Nighthawk]
kingbird [Eastern Kingbird]
wood-pewee [Eastern Wood-Pewee]
pewee [Eastern Wood-Pewee]
Phebe-bird (sic ~ should be phoebe) [Eastern Phoebe]
robin [American Robin]
brown thresher [Brown Thrasher]
catbird [Gray Catbird]
red-breasted bluebird [Eastern Bluebird]
titmouse [Tufted Titmouse]
chickadee [Black-capped Chickadee]
white-bellied nut-hatch [White-breasted Nuthatch]
American creeper [Brown Creeper]
long-billed marsh wren [Marsh Wren]
short-billed marsh wren [Sedge Wren]
skylark [American Pipit]
shorelark [Horned Lark]
black and white creeper [Black-and-white Warbler]
Maryland yellow-throat [Common Yellowthroat]
black-poll warbler [Blackpoll Warbler]
blue-backed swallow [Tree Swallow]
eave swallow [Cliff Swallow]
wax-wing [Cedar Waxwing]
Bohemian chatterer [Bohemian Waxwing]
cedar-bird [Cedar Waxwing]
cherry-bird [Cedar Waxwing]
great northern shrike [Northern Shrike]
purple-finch [Purple Finch]
red-poll linnet [Common Redpoll]
snowbird [Dark-eyed Junco]
tree sparrow [American Tree Sparrow]
fox sparrow (frequent)
rose-breasted grossbeak [Rose-breasted Grosbeak] ring-rail (occasional) (sic ~ should be king-rail) [King Rail]
cowbird [Brown-headed Cowbird]
yellow-headed bird [Yellow-headed Blackbird]
meadow lark [Eastern Meadowlark]
orchard oriole (not common)
Baltimore oriole (common)
crow blackbird [Common Grackle]
crow (on the increase) [American Crow]
wild pigeon (never abundant) [Passenger Pigeon]
common dove [Mourning Dove]
pinnated grouse (scarce) [Greater Prairie-Chicken]
quail (nearly exterminated) [Northern Bobwhite]
woodcock [American Woodcock]
Wilson snipe [Wilson's snipe]
Jack snipe [Wilson's Snipe]
bittern [American Bittern]
stakedriver [American Bittern]
least bittern (on river bottoms)
marsh hen [King Rail]
coot (in marshes). [American Coot]
* The Hawk Owl is possibly an error.
Besides these there are met occasionally
the great blue heron
the green heron
the wild goose and brant [Canada Goose; Snow Goose or Greater White-fronted Goose]
the blue-winged teal
the hooded merganser
the widgeon [American Wigeon]
the pintail [Northern Pintail]
the butterball duck [Bufflehead]
the wood duck
and other ducks. The wood duck breeds here.
THE WINONA COUNTY PRESS
The pioneers of Winona evinced a thorough appreciation of the power of the press as an important element in promoting the welfare of the young city, and in the development of the promising territory of Minnesota. The first newspaper established was the "Winona Argus," September 7, 1854. It was published by Wm. Ashley Jones & Co., weekly, democratic in politics. Wm. Ashley Jones, Captain Sam Whiting, M. Wheeler Sargent and Robert T. Hunter were among the contributors. Samuel Melvin, at the present time a merchant in Winona, was foreman in the Argus office. He purchased an interest in the paper in January, 1855, and continued about a year and a half, when he sold back to Wm. Ashley Jones, and the paper continued about a year and a half longer, enduring which Mr. Cozzens was for a time editor. After vicissitudes incident to a western town twenty years ago, it was compelled to suspend its publication in the month of September, 1847, not however, until it had accomplished a good work for southern Minnesota.
The "Winona Weekly Express" was the next venture in journalism. It was established about August 1, 1855, Wilson C. Huff, son of H. D. Huff, being the editor. The Express continued until after the election in November, when the office and material were purchased by a company formed to establish "The Winona Republican."
In the fall of 1855, some earnest republicans formed a joint-stock company, purchased the material of the "Winona Express," and on the 21st of November, 1855, issued the first number of the "Winona Weekly Republican." The names of these stockholders were Charles Eaton, E. L. King, C. F. Buck, A. P. Foster, H. C. Jones, A. C. Jones, E. H. Murray, J. B. Stockton, J. S. Denman, H. T. Wickersham, Rufus Crosby, O. S. Holbrook, St. A. D. Balcombe, John L. Balcombe, Matthew Ewing, W. G. Dye, J. H. Jacoby, L. H. Springer. The newspaper was a seven-column sheet and conducted with ability. The editor was Captain Sam Whiting. The business manager was Walter G. Dye, who continued to occupy that position, with slight intervals, for about twenty-five years. Messrs. Foster and Dye purchased the stock of the other shareholders and became sole proprietors. On the 19th of June, 1856, D. Sinclair purchased the interest of A. P. Foster in the establishment, and it thus became the sole property of Messrs. Sinclair & Dye. In the fall of 1856 Mr. Dye disposed of his interest in the concern to Messrs. Balcombe, Murray, Buck and King, who in a short time sold out to W. C. Dodge. The latter continued his connection with the paper only a few months, retiring on the 3rd of February, 1857, and being succeeded by Mr. Dye, who repurchased one half of the establishment. At this time the firm name was changed to D. Sinclair & Co., and has so remained ever since.
On the 2nd of April, 1864, Sheldon C. Carey purchased one half interest in "The Republican" from Mr. Dye, who retired. Mr. Carey continued a member of the firm until his death on the night of December 28 of the same year he entered it, when he was drowned in the Mississippi river, Wisconsin, while out with a small party on a sleighing excursion. His death cased the most poignant grief in the community.
On the first of July, 1865, Mr. Dye resumed connection with "The Republican" as joint partner with Mr. Sinclair, and November 25, 1866, Mr. John Dobbs, an experienced practical bookbinder, became one of the firm, purchasing one third interest in "The Republican" establishment. In 1859 the proprietors of "The Republican" determined to try the experiment of a daily paper in Winona, and on the 19th of November issued the first number of the "Daily Review," a three-column paper somewhat larger than a sheet of foolscap. The publication of this little paper demonstrated the readiness of the people of Winona to support ~ not a first-class journal, but one of respectable size, considering the times. Accordingly the "Daily Review" was stopped, and on the 19th of December, 1859, the "Winona Daily Republican" was started on its career. It was a five-column sheet, but was enlarged to a six-column sheet on the 8th of April, 1861, and on the 1st of July, 1865, it was enlarged to a seven-column sheet, its present form. The "Weekly Republican" has the honor of being the oldest republican newspaper in the state.
On the building it says BLANK BOOK MANUFACTORY and REPUBLICAN PRINTING HOUSE I believe "blank books" are what we would call "notebooks" today ~ webmaster
In 1867 the well arranged three-story brick "Republican" building with basement was built. It was occupied in February, 1868. On the first of January, 1881, Mr. Dye retired, selling his interest to Mr. Sinclair. Mr. P. G. Hubbell, who had been connected with the office since 1864, was appointed business manager, and so continued until the first of January, 1883, when Mr. W. E. Smith bought a third interest in the establishment, and Mr. Hubbell assumed the duties of managing editor of "The Republican." Through a long established career "The Republican," under the superior editorial management of Mr. Sinclair, has wielded a potent influence on the affairs of the county and state, while for the city of its choice it has ever been the zealous advocate and faithful friend. It is entitled to great credit as one of the important agencies in the development of Winona.
Returning to the history of other newspapers in the early years of the county, "The Times" was started by a man who came from Fountain City, Wisconsin. The proprietor purchased the material of the "Argus," but continued only a few months.
"The Democrat" was started on September 9, 1858, by C. W. Cottom, who came here from Rochester. He published an eight-column paper. In the course of a year or two he sold out to eh Democrat Printing Company.
On the 11th of December, 1860, the "Tri-Weekly Democrat" was started by the Democrat Printing Company, with J. L. Thompson, printer; C. W. Cottom, editor; Wm. T. Hubbell, city editor. This was a five-column sheet. In the following summer the paper was closed out and was succeeded by "The State."
"The Winona Daily State" was established by Massey & Wheeler, July 11, 1861. It was a six-column paper. The daily was a morning paper, hut it existed only a few weeks. Mr. Wheeler retired and Mr. Massey continued the publication of the "Weekly State," which was first issued July 17, 1861. After an existence of a year or two the "State" suspended.
"The Winona Weekly Democrat" was established by A. G. Reed September 17, 1864. It was a seven-column paper and lived some two or three years.
The "Democratic Press," which was issued by Messrs. Meservey & Pomeroy, was another venture, which appeared in the fall of 1865, but continued only about six months.
"The Winona Daily Democrat" was established January 8, 1868, by Green & Gile. It was a four-page, seven-column journal. It was afterward owned by Green & Dresbach, and then by the Democrat Printing Company. It suspended after a few months.
On the 7th of May, 1869, "The Winona Herald," a democratic weekly newspaper, was established by Mr. W. J. Whipple. It is still in existence under the proprietorship of Mr. Whipple, though leased to Mr. T. A. Dailey in the summer of 1882.
On February 13, 1869, an amateur paper entitled "The North Star" was started by some young men, with Geo. T. Griffith, editor; Wm. F. Worthington, publisher; H. G. Smith, treasurer; John N. Nind, subscription agent. The little journal subsequently passed into the hands of Fred. W. Flint and John N. Nind, by whom it was published for several months.
In 1872 another amateur paper, "The Novelty Press," was started at Homer by R. F. Norton. It was afterward removed to Winona and conducted by Eber Norton. In 1879, November 28, it was bought by Geo. B. Dresbach and the name changed to "The Democrat." In January, 1880, it was sold to Hiler, Busdicker and Dresbach, and was purchased in January, 1882, by Fred. W. Flint.
On the 9th of October, 1873, E. Gerstenhauer established a German weekly called "The Winona Adler," which still continues under the same proprietor.
On the 4th of July, 1873, the "St. Charles Times" was established by H. W. Hill. It was democratic in politics and continued until January 1, 1883, when it suspended.
On May 24, 1875, "The Sunday Morning Dispatch" was issued by D. B. Sherwood. Only one number appeared, the proprietor returning to Michigan.
On the 24th of April, 1876, "The Monday Morning Bulletin" was started by John Seigler. It continued for a few months and was removed to Wabasha, Minnesota.
In 1877, August 11, "The Saturday Evening Postman" appeared under the editorship and management of W. A. Chapman. It existed for only a short time.
On January 3, 1877, the "St. Charles Union" was established by Joseph S. Whiton. It is independent republican in politics, and a paper of general circulation in the western part of the county.
January 21, 1881, a German weekly newspaper, "The Westlicher Herald," was started by Leicht & Schmid. The firm changed to Leicht & Hunger July 1, 1881, and again to Joseph Leicht January 1, 1883, who is the present proprietor.
During 1881 the "Utica Transcript," a short-lived paper, was started at Utica by O. S. Reed.
On the 2nd of July, 1881, "The Winona Daily Tribune" was established by F. W. Flint as an evening independent republican paper. About the first of July, 1882, it was sold to Morrissey & Bunn and changed to a democratic paper in politics, still retaining the name of "The Tribune." In January following the paper was sold to a stock company and changed to a morning paper. It continued until April, 1882, when is suspended.
The year 1883, therefore, finds the following newspapers in existence in this county: "The Winona Republican," daily and weekly, republican in politics, established in 1855; "The Winona Herald," weekly, democratic, established in 1869; "The Winona Adler," German weekly, democratic, established in 1873; "The St. Charles Union," weekly, independent republican, established in 1877; "The Westlicher Herald," German, weekly, democratic, established in 1881.