Muncie Chapel Cemetery, Barry County, Missouri
GPS 364726N 0940327W, NW Sec. 22, T24N, R29W
Location: North of Wheaton located beside the church at the intersection of Hwy 86 and FR2100. Take 86 north out of Wheaton to FR2100 and you are there.
Photo Taken in Early 1900's, Muncie Chapel Men
By: H. T. (Tom) Ghan
May 1961, The Wheaton Journal Muncie Chapel Church Remodeled
“Members of the church and other workmen have just completed remodeling the Muncie Chapel Church, located on Highway 86, two miles north of town. ……the church building is now in good condition and will remain as it has all the way through the years gone by. The friendly church by the side of the road extends a warm welcome to every one to come, visit and worship with us.”
“May God’s richest blessing rest on our church and its members.” Dated April 20 A.D. 1961, H. T. (Tom) Ghan
This article was originally written by Tom Gahn and published in The Wheaton Journal about 1960. Article also used in the Wheaton Echoes Centennial Book Published by Ralph and Betty Lamberson copyright 2007
Muncie Chapel Church
Submitted By: Betty Lamberson
Taken from an undated article from The Wheaton Journal
Contributed by Mary Lou Borushaski
In 1879 our forefathers felt the dire need of a church building in their community, as there was none near at the time and Sunday school and church services were being held in the log schoolhouse known as Pleasant Ridge. It was at the services in the school house that our forefathers conceived the idea of erecting a building and dedicating it to the services of God. So in May, uncle Titus Phillips deeded the land to the South Methodist. Construction at once as neighbors and friends donated both time and labor, therefore no money was required except for material. Teams and axes were taken to the forest and the rough lumber provided, while teamsters were sent to Arkansas for pine lumber. This excellent work was headed by such loving men as Brother B. L. Evans, Billy Poor, Robert Poor, Dick and Perry Evans, Geo. Franks, Ed Franks, Randall Tarvin, Elisha Tarvin, Winston Tidwell, Daniel Ghan, and many more such men that space will not permit to name.
In a few short months the building was completed and the first sermon was preached by a Presbyterian minister by the name of Gracey. The Church was dedicated in the autumn of 1879 by Rev. Muncie Carter, who was pastor of the South Methodist Church. It was for Rev. Muncie Carter that the church was given the present name of "Muncie Chapel." The first trustees were B. L. Evans, Billy Poor and Winston Tidwell, and remained so until 1910 when the South Methodist Conference sold the building and Daniel Ghan bought it with his private funds for the benefit of the community, and deeded it to the M. E. Conference with a provision that it shouldn't be sold for a period of 99 years. The trustees placed in charge at that time were Daniel Ghan, S.C. Ghan, and James McQueen. From then until the present time we have had an evergreen Sunday School, and many ministers have labored in the church, a few of whom I mention, namely: South Methodist, Rev. Billy Moore, Rev. Hagler, Rev. Jones; Freewill Baptist, Rev. Holoway, Rev. Al Shewey, Protestant Methodist, Rev. Mark Combs and Rev. Francis Goodnight; M.E. Rev. James Lokey, Rev. J. F. King, Rev. F. O. Hunt, and our present minister, Rev. Leatherman.
We have been more than blessed with worthy, God fearing men for our Sunday School Superintendents, some of whom were J. J. Franks, Elisha Tarvin, John Lampkins Jr. and our present superintendent, Gerald Tarvin. Thus, many, many there be that have come and gone, in and out of our church doors, that have left many sweet memories passed on to the younger generation's minds that time will not erase, and is our inspiration to the higher planes of life. August 1934.
With the passing of time the building in 1940 began to be badly in need of repair.
In June, 1940 the Munsie (sic) Chapel Ladies Aid with Mrs. W. M. Nagles as president, decided to have the building partly wrecked and rebuilt. The work was financed by the Aid and by donations. The men of the community, and some from the surrounding communities donated their work. As a result we have the building re roofed re ceiled, a new floor and newly decorated inside. But it is still old Muncie Chapel with the same high purpose as the original building.
In wrecking the building, one of the hammers used when the original was erected 61 years ago was found in between two walls. It was turned over to Tom Ghan who used it in some in the rebuilding work and later placed it in the archives of the church for future generations. Thus another chapter to the History of Muncie Chapel Church.
|Date Taken||Early 1900's|
|Submitted by||Submitted in 2006 By: Betty Lamberson|
You are web site visitor
since Sept. 23, 1996