The Press of Bates Co., Missouri
Prior to Civil War:
The Bates County Standard - Butler, Mo. - published 1858 through 1860 - by W.L. Perry.
The Banner - West Point, Mo. - published 1859-1861 - by T.H. Stevens.
The Western Times - Butler, Mo. - published 1860
& 1861 - by W.P. Green.
After Civl War:
Bates County Democrat - published 1869 by Feeley & Rosser; 1871 by Wade & Scudder; 1882 by Col. N.A. Wade & Co.
Adrian Advertisement - Adrian, Mo. - published 9 September 1882 by E.T. Kirkpatrick, editor & proprietor; later became Adrian Advertiser.
Adrian Advertiser - Adrian, Mo. - published 1885 & 1886 by M.H. Sly, editor; 1888 by E.T. Kirkpatrick, editor; January 1889 name changed to The Journal.
Adrian Register - Adrian, Mo. - published 1886 - 1888.
The Journal - Adrian, Mo. - published January 1889 by McBride & Hutchinson, M.O. Smith, editor. Sold to Hogan & Co. and then in 1891 to Hogan & Dowell. Two months later Dowell bought Hogan out, then J.E. Dowell became editor & proprietor till 1892. L.R. Purley bought half interest and ownership transferred to Dowell & Purley.
Amoret Beacon - Amoret, Mo. - published by H. Cline & Son, Eli J. Cline, editor.
The Amoret Chief - Amoret, Mo. - published by T.J. Trickett.
Border Breezes - Amsterdam, Mo. - published 1894 by A.J. Oaks.
The Bates County Record - Butler, Mo. - published 1866 by O.D. Austin & Sons.
Bates County Republican - Butler, Mo. - published 1882 by John Brand; Edgar Beed & Robert Grierson, editors.
The Butler Daily Democrat - Butler, Mo. - published by Col. N.A. Wade & Co.
The Butler Weekly Times - published 1878 by Newsom & Lanhorn; 1879 by Chas. T. McFarland; 1880 by J.D. Allen & Co.
The Butler Free Press - Butler, Mo.
Butler County Republican - Butler, Mo. - published July 1899 by Chambers & Cohenour; later J.F. Chambers.
The Local News - Butler, Mo. - published 1888 by R.J. Trickett; B.R.L. Poston; changed to Weekly Union.
Weekly Union - Butler, Mo. - May 1890 - July 1893, M.V. Carroll, editor; July 1893 - March 1, 1894, G.P. Garland, editor; March 1, 1894 - June 1, 1895, W.O. Atkeson, editor; changed to The Butler Free Press.
The Bates County Globe - Hume, Mo. - published by Palmer Bros.
The Border Telephone - Hume, Mo. - published 1890 by Moore & Son, Lewis Moore, editor.
Merwin Mirror - Merwin, Mo.
Bates County Populist - Rich Hill, Mo. - published by A.P. Hackett.
Daily Mining Review - Rich Hill, Mo. - published by Walters & Carr.
Rich Hill Gazette - Rich Hill, Mo. - published 1880 by Huckeby & Eldridge; 1881 by Eldridge & Cobb.
Rich Hill Tribune - Rich Hill, Mo. - J.C. Oldham & R.E. Pichard, editors & publishers.
The Critic - Rich Hill, Mo. - published 1898 by Warren Bros., Fred D. Warren, editor.
The Mining Review - Rich Hill, Mo. - published 1880 by Thomas Irish.
The Western Enterprise - Rich Hill, Mo. - published 1881 by Wiseman & Magill; later by Col. Wiseman.
The Leader - Rockville, Mo.
Rockville Reflex - Rockville, Mo. - published
1893 by Santford Hardy.
1) Bates County History, Mo., 1883.
2) Old Settlers' History of Bates County, Mo., 1897.