Bates County Biographies
ABBOTT, Robert Henry
Mt. Pleasant Township - Robert Henry Abbott was born in Detroit, Michigan, in 1828. The family moved early to Coldwater, where Robert learned the tin and stove trade, at which he worked for several years. He lived for a time in Orland, Indiana, and when the war broke out he enlisted in the celebrated Lampher's Battery and served three years, receiving an honorable discharge. In 1876 he came to Missouri, and for several years has been foreman of McBride & Co.'s tin and store shop. He is an excellent mechanic, and thoroughly understands the business in all its branches. He married Miss Emma Paulin, of Ashland County, Ohio, in 1864. Mrs. Abbott owned a millinery store and was doing a good business, when the great fire in 1879 burned the store and her stock of goods. Since that time she has been keeping a boarding house. Her sister died in Illinois in 1867, and left two daughters, whom Mr. A. took to bring up. Ada Miller died in 1878 when seventeen years of age, and Emily married Henry Wolf, of Nevada, Missouri. Mr. Abbott is an active member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ADAMS & MARTIN
Howard Township - The grocery firm of Adams & Martin at Hume, is composed of S.C. Adams and F.L. Martin. The former is a Virginian by birth and was born in October, 1845. His father, John T. Adams, married Miss Sarah E. Dorsey, they being also of Virginia. The subject of this sketch grew up in Platte County, being reared by his grandmother. In 1859 he went to Pettis County, and after remaining there until 1864 removed to Hancock County, Illinois, subsequently returning to Pettis County. He clerked for a number of years and in 1879 visited Colorado, where he remained until 1881 when he became associated in the grocery business with F.L. Martin. Mr. Martin came originally from Greenville, Darke County, Ohio, where he was born April 20, 1846. He is a son of Ross and Eliza Martin, nee Miller, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of New York. After being married they settled in Ohio in 1842, and in 1866 moved to Pettis County, Missouri, where they still reside. F.L. worked in the machine shops at Richmond, Indiana, for a while and then accompanied his parents to the West. In 1875 he married Miss C. Adams, daughter of John T. and Sarah E. (Dorsey) Adams. She was born in Pettis County in 1858, and was brought up there. They have two children: Ross and Elmer. Mrs. Martin is a church member. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ADAMS, James D.
Howard Township - James D. Adams, farmer and stock raiser, section 20, was born in Fauquier County, Virginia, September 17, 1843, and was a son of John T. and Sarah (Dorsey) Adams, of the same county. The latter died in Virginia, and Mr. Adams was married the second time, after which he removed to Pettis County, Missouri. Here the subject of this sketch was brought up, and on September 1, 1861, he enlisted and served during the war in the Second Missouri Volunteer Infantry and First Missouri Battery, C.S.A., participating in many important engagements in Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas. After the surrender he returned home and devoted his attention to farming and stock raising. In 1867 he married Miss M.A. Siceluff, who was born in North Carolina, March 1, 1848, her parents being Andrew and Sarah Siceluff. She was also reared in Pettis County. They have a family of eight children: Callie M., Emmett C., Eugene L., James P., Bettie S., Harry V., Jessie M. and Myrtle. They are both members of the M.E. Church South. In 1876 Mr. Adams settled on his present farm, which contains 160 acres of fine land. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Jonathan Adams, farmer, section 30, was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, July 31, 1841, his father being Jonathan Adams, a native of England and a farmer by occupation. The subject of this sketch remained on the farm in Pennsylvania until eleven years of age, when his parents removed to Illinois, from whence, after two years, they came to Bates County. Here Jonathan was reared, attending for a time the common schools. After arriving at manhood he engaged in farming, which he followed until 1861, when he went to Pike's Peak. He was interested in freighting there for about seven months, and subsequently resumed farming in Missouri and Kansas until February 24, 1864, when he was drafted in the United States Army. He was discharged September 10, 1865. After the war closed he returned to Bates County and gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, during which time he received injuries by a mowing machine. He then embarked in the mercantile business at Crescent Hill, which he conducted five years. Selling out, he purchased his present farm, containing 165 acres of good land, well improved. Mr. Adams was township collector two terms and township trustee for two terms. He is a member of the Baptist Church. September 20, 1863, he married Martha Hiser, who was born in Bates County, Missouri, May 7, 1844. They have three children living: Newman J., Nettie A. and Alice. Four are deceased: Mary E., Louesia, Lousa and Frank. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Lewis Adams, farmer and stock raiser, section 30, was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, May 11, 1837, and was the son of Jonathan Adams, a native of England, who emigrated to America in 1837, settling in Pennsylvania. He died in 1870. His mother's maiden name was Ann Chapman, also from England. Her death occurred in 1864. Lewis was the sixth of thirteen children. He remained on his father's farm in Pennsylvania until sixteen years of age, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, following agricultural pursuits until June 22, 1861, when he enlisted in Company B of the Home Guards. He was discharged February 28, 1862. He then removed to Kansas, where he remained until the close of the war, then returning to Bates County. His farm contains 300 acres of good land, all under fence, improved and well adapted for stock raising. May 11, 1861, Mr. Adams was married to Miss Harriet Holderman, a daughter of Barton Holderman. She was born in Illinois, March 10, 1841. They have seven children living: Barton, Samuel A., William, Mattie, Hattie, Frank and Lewis Henry. They lost one, Allen D., who died in August, 1868. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ALEXANDER, Rev. Samuel
Mt. Pleasant Township - Rev. Samuel Alexander, pastor of the M.E. Church at Butler, was born in Toronto, Canada, June 23, 1837. His father, Robert Alexander, who was born in Scotland, received an excellent education in the schools of Dublin and London. He came to Canada at an early day, and settled there permanently. His wife was of English parentage, and was born in England, emigrating to this country in her youth. The subject of this sketch acquired a good education at the schools in Toronto, supplementing it by an attendance at the Ruthven Institute. In 1859, he commenced to preach, and in June, 1862, joined the Wesleyan Conference, and preached in Western Canada for three and a half years, when his throat became afflicted, making a change of climate necessary. He moved to Missouri, and settled at Marshall, in Saline County, and was the only man who would or did, take the iron-clad oath, which was necessary in order that he might preach. He met with great opposition, but his zeal for the Master's cause and determination to do his duty, overcame every obstacle. He has held numerous appointments; was at Little Rock, Arkansas, and Jefferson City, Missouri, where he was elected chaplain of the senate. Wherever he has labored, churches have been revived and much good done by his ministrations. Mr. Alexander married Miss Laura M. Pinney, in 1868. She was the daughter of H.H. Pinney, of Lorrain County, Ohio, and is the only sister of Mrs. Horr, wife of the Hon. R.G. Horr, M.C. from the Eighth District of Michigan, and sister of Dr. C.H. Pinney, of Council Bluffs, Iowa. She is an accomplished lady, and much devoted to the cause in which her husband is engaged. They have one daughter, Carrie E., a young miss of twelve years. Mr. A. received the appointment to the M.E. Church in Butler, in April, 1882, coming here from Sedalia, Missouri. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ALLEN, Harrison P.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Harrison P. Allen was born in Putnam County, Indiana, February 9, 1841, and is a son of David and Mariah (Whitzel) Allen, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Virginia. His mother was a niece of the well known Indian fighter, Louis Whitzel, who was many times with Daniel Boone, and who was engaged in troubles with the Indians in Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Louisiana, and other states. H.P. was reared on a farm in his native county, and in 1869 came to Bates County, Missouri, where he was engaged in farming till 1874. Then he began the grocery business at Butler, and continued it some six years, since which time he has been somewhat retired from active trade. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in Company C, Fifty-fifth Indiana Infantry, and remained in service about one year, when he went to Iowa. At Knoxville, that state, he served till the close of the war, having participated in many important battles, receiving slight wounds. He returned from the army much impaired in health. Mr. Allen was married, January 1, 1868, to Miss Maggie Vawel, a native of Putnam County, Indiana. By this union they have had three children, two of whom are now living, Franklin and Walter. Harry died when two years old. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ALLEN, Jacob D.
Jacob D. Allen, born in Franklin County, Kentucky, September 12th, 1859. Moved to Missouri in 1875 with his parents, Richard N. and Jannette Allen, who located on a farm in New Home township, Bates county. Served as an apprentice in a printing office in 1876-79. Took an A.B. course in Kentucky Military Institute 1879 to 1882. Was Senior Captain of Corps 1881-2, Salutatorian '82 class. Was Deputy County Clerk from January 1, 1883, to July 1, 1884, when he took charge of the Butler Weekly Times, which paper he is still conducting. Was congressional committeeman from 1886 to 1888. Delegate to the Democratic National Convention at Chicago, from 6th Missouri District in 1892. Was Postmaster at Butler from July 1, 1893, to October 1, 1897. Appointed by Governor Lon V. Stephens, on October 2, 1899, a member of commission to locate and build State Lunatic Asylum No. 4, in Southeast Missouri; elected chairman of the commission by his conferres, in which capacity he is now serving the state. Was married Oct. 6th, 1886, to Miss Ida R. Wood, to which union three sons were born, Robert, William and Jacob. Mr. Allen has made the Times one of the leading and influential Democratic weeklies of the state; and he is recognized as among the prominent politicians of his party, and his friends hope to see him suitably honored by his party in the future. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
ALLEN, Jacob D.
Jacob D. Allen, editor and owner of the "Butler Weekly Times", is a representative of a Kentucky family whose members attained positions of prominence in that State. His father, Major Richard N. Allen, was a son of Rev. Richard Allen, a clergyman in the Protestant Episcopal Church, who left his home in Ireland to escape religious persecution and came to America, settling in Maryland. Richard N. Allen married Jeannette Campbell, whose father immigrated from Scotland and located in Cattaraugus County, New York. Our subject's father was a native of Baltimore, Maryland, and was educated for the law in Allegheny College, at Allegheny, Pennsylvania. After graduating from college he engaged in teaching for a while and subsequently conducted a farm. In 1849 he joined an expedition of the California Argonauts in the great rush for gold, but soon returned to Frankfort, Kentucky, where he married Jeannette Campbell, engaged in teaching and other pursuits, and reared a family. Colonel R.T.P. Allen, his brother, who received a classical and military education at the West Point Academy, resigned his position in the United States Army after the Seminole War and founded the Kentucky Military Institute, located near Frankfort. In this institution, in its time a celebrated one, Major Richard N. Allen served as a member of the faculty for some time. In 1875 he removed to Bates County, Missouri, and located on a farm in New Home township, where he resided until a short time before his death, which occurred in the spring of 1899, at the home of his son, in Butler. His wife passed away in 1896. Jacob D. Allen was born in Frankfort, Kentucky, September 12, 1859. His education was begun in the public schools there and concluded in the Kentucky Military Institute, founded by his uncle, from which he was graduated in 1882 with the degree of bachelor of arts. Before entering college he had come to Missouri with his parents in 1875, and from that year to 1879, when he began his college course, he attended the schools of Bates County. Upon his return home in 1882 he was almost immediately appointed deputy county clerk, in which office he served for a year and a half. In the summer of 1884 he purchased the "Butler Weekly Times", which he has since owned and edited. During the second administration of President Cleveland he served as postmaster of Butler, administering the affairs of that office in a manner highly satisfactory to its patrons. Always a staunch Democrat, he was a member of the Missouri delegation to the National Convention in 1892, which nominated Grover Cleveland, representing the Sixth District. In October, 1899, Governor Lon V. Stephens appointed him a member of the commission having in charge the erection and equipment of State Lunatic Asylum No. 4, located at Farmington, St. Francois County, and the commission at its first meeting elected him to the chairmanship. This body decided upon an innovation, as far as Missouri asylums are concerned, adopting plans for several cottages for the use of the inmates, in the place of the prison-like building commonly devoted to this purpose. Five cottages will be erected at the start, besides the domestic buildings necessary, as the appropriation, $150,000, is too limited to warrant the erection of a larger number. By the plan adopted the inmates of the new asylum will be accorded residential privileges more like those of a private home, and the most expert alienists in the country now agree that this plan is more conductive to the speedy recovery of demented persons than the system, more commonly in use, of sheltering all in one large building. Mr. Allen has never been a candidate for public elective office, preferring to devote all the time possible to the management of his newspaper, which has become a potent factor in the affairs of the State, especially in Southwest Missouri. In Masonry he is a member of the Blue Lodge, and has passsed all the chairs in Odd Fellowship in the lodge at Butler. He was married, October 6, 1886, at Butler, to Ida R. Wood, daughter of George C. Wood, of that city. The last named, who was a native of Maryland, came to Bates County, Missouri, from Iowa and engaged in business as a carpenter and cabinet maker in Butler. He and his wife are both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Allen are the parents of three sons, Robert D., William Henry and Jacob Wood Allen. In his college days Mr. Allen fraternized with the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Society, whose chapters were composed exclusively of students in Southern colleges. The history of the fraternity, under the heading, Class of 1882, Kentucky Chi, contains the following: "Jacob Dickinson Allen, editor, Butler, Missouri, A.B., 1882; Lieutenant, 1880-1; senior captain of corps, 1881-2; salutatorian, 1882; congressional committeeman, 1886-8; delegate to National Democratic Convention, 1892; editor and publisher, 1884--". Perhaps the best estimate of the character of Mr. Allen, succinctly given, is contained in the following, which appeared in the "Missouri Editor", in October, 1896, from the pen of one of the best known editors of the State: "As an editor Mr. Allen is conscientious, bright, bold and able; as a postmaster he is obliging; as a friend he is manly, true and steadfast. No power can swerve him from the pathway of right; and as he sees a duty, either public or private, he pursuees it to the end. This characteristic has won him many warm and devoted friends, and his power in southwest Missouri is keenly felt whenever he attempts to assert his sway." (Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901)
Osage Township - R.E. Allen, dealer in dry goods, groceries and general merchandise, is one of the prominent merchants of the city of Rich Hill, having opened here in August, 1881. Mr. Allen is a native of Missouri, and was born in Clay County, March 6, 1830. His father came originally from New York, while his mother was a Kentuckian by birth. He was reared and educated in the county of his birth, and was there employed as a clerk till 1856, when he went to Leavenworth, Kansas, where he sold goods for ten years. For a period of time he was interested in the drug business and freighting. In 1871 he moved to Concordia, Kansas, and gave his attention to the mercantile trade till he came to Rich Hill. He was married in February, 1863, to Miss Sallie McDowell, of Highland County, Ohio. By this union they have five children: Sallie, Lizzie D., Josie and Hattie, twins, and Robert E. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Pleasant Gap Township - R.J. Allen was born in Washington County, East Tennessee, April 24, 1812. His father, Robert Allen, was born in Maryland, and his mother, formerly Mary Ferguson, was a native of Pennsylvania. R.J. moved with his parents to Blount County in 1813, and located some twenty-five miles from Knoxville, where he grew to manhood. He was married in the spring of 1835, to Miss Ellen Harman, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of James Harman. in the fall of 1849 he went to Adams County, Illinois, where he lived about fourteen years, coming thence to Bates County, Missouri, in 1866, when he settled on his present farm. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have raised a family of four children: William, Jane (now Mrs. J.D.H. Butler), Mary Ann, and Isabella. Mr. A. and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ALLEN, Richard N., Major
New Home Township - Major Richard N. Allen was born in Baltimore County, Maryland, December 15, 1819. His parents, Richard N. and Sarah (Hughes) Allen, were natives of County Down, Ireland, and settled in Maryland about the year 1796. Richard was the sixth of eleven children, of whom but himself and one brother survive, Colonel Robert T.P. Allen, a graduate of West Point, and who served in the United States Army as lieutenant; he now lives in Florida. He was also attached to the topographical engineer corps and built the harbors of Silver Creek and Portland on Lake Erie. He founded the Kentucky Military Institute, and during the rebellion was colonel of a Texas regiment, and his son, Robert D. Allen, is the present president of the institute. In 1836 Mr. Allen assisted his brother Robert in building the two ports just named, and in '38 he entered the Alleghany College at Meadville, Pennsylvania, from which institution he graduated in 1840. He then entered the law office of Hiram L. Richmond, and pursued his law studies one year, and was admitted to the practice of law at the Crawford County bar in 1841. He had married while attending college, on March 10, 1840, Miss Jeannette Campbell, a native of New York, but of Scotch descent. Mr. Allen practiced law in Pennsylvania for one year and then removed to Kaskaskia, Illinois, and followed the practice of his profession until 1844, being contemporary with such men as Dr. Bissel, Judge Sidney Breeze and General Shields, and he was the cause of the famous quarrel between General Shields and Judge Breeze. While coming down the Ohio River, on his way to Illinois, his hat, in which he carried his certificate, was blown into the river. He saved the diploma by jumping into the water. Its becoming wet had effaced the impression of the seal, and for this reason Judge Breeze refused him admittance to the bar. General Shields made a speech pressing Mr. Allen's claim for recognition. In his remarks he said something at which Judge Breeze took exception and commanded Shields to take his seat. Shields, with arms folded, replied that "If the court please I prefer to stand." The second time the Judge made the command. Shields' reply was the same. The Judge fined him ten dollars. The General pulled out his pocket book and paid it. The Judge made the same demand the third time. The same reply was made. A fine of twenty dollars was entered and as quickly paid. The General refused the fourth time and he was remanded to jail. To jail he went, accompanied by his friends. He was released the next morning. The result was Shields challenged Judge Breeze, and upon his refusing to fight the General published him as a coward. In 1844 Mr. Allen went to Sweet Lick Spring, Kentucky, where he practiced for two years. In 1846 he accepted a professorship in the Kentucky Military Institute, which he filled until 1849. In company with his brother, with whom he had been connected in the institute, he went to California, Robert having received the appointment of Assistant Postmaster General to establish post offices and post routes. He engaged in mining one summer, and in the following winter he and his brother purchased a one-half interest in the Pacific News, paying therefor $24,000. In 1850 the first steam press on the Pacific coast was secured and put in operation. General Winchester, of New York, was employed as editor, and Mr. Allen himself was city editor. In the winter of 1850 the building, press, and everything connected with the office was burned, making a loss of $80,000. Major Allen was in New York at the time of the fire and never went back to California. In 1852 he returned to the Institute and until the outbreak of the war held the position of quarter-master. During the war he engaged in farming, and was employed by Jay Cook, who is his brother-in-law, Mr. C. having married his only sister, to establish agencies in Missouri and Kansas for the sale of 5-20 and 5-30 bonds. The institute having revived in 1866 he was given the same position, which he continued to hold until 1873 when he resigned. In 1875 he came to Bates County and has since been occupied in farming, having a farm of 320 acres. He has nine children: Sarah, (wife of John B. Batchellor, of Deepwater); William H., a physician of Rich Hill, his wife was a Miss Ara Sims, of Texas; Emma Jane died at the age of twenty-three years, at Frankfort; Robert T.P., his first wife was a niece of Colonel Samuel F. Hawkins, and died in 1876, he has recently married Miss Libbie Katron, of Vernon County; Richard N., at home; Ebenezer N., a physician at Coolidge, Kansas; Hugh C., at home; Jacob D., recently graduated from the Military Institute; and Elizabeth Cook, at home. In politics Major Allen is a Democrat. He is a member of the Methodist Church, South, and has been a Mason for upwards of thirty years, having joined the order in San Francisco. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - W.H. Allen, physician and surgeon, and a man eminent in his profession in this vicinity, was born in Frankfort, Kentucky, May 1, 1848, and is a son of R.N Allen, now a citizen of Bates County, Missouri. W.H. grew up and was educated in his native county, attending the Military Institute of which his father was professor for many years. He took a thorough course and was graduated with the degree of A.M. in 1869. During this time he had studied medicine with his cousin, Dr. R.D. Allen, who was superintendent of the Military Institute, and a prominent man in Kentucky. Dr. W.H. Allen was graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville on February 28, 1871, and soon began his practice in Batesville, Carroll County, Missouri. This he continued in that locality till the spring of 1875, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, settling at Old Rich Hill, at which point he gave his attention to his chosen calling till the birth of this city in 1880. Then he built the finest dwelling in the town. He served as its mayor for the first eighteen months of its growth, having been appointed by the court. The Doctor is a member of the K. of P. and A.O.U.W. fraternities. He was married May 2, 1871, to Miss Ora Sims, who was born in Texas, July 3, 1851. Her father, Samuel Sims, was a native of Georgia. The family of the Doctor consists of four children: Laura S., William H., Eben G. and Samuel W. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Pleasant Gap Township - William Allen, the son of R.J. and Ellen (Harmon) Allen, is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Bradley County, June 24, 1843. He moved with his parents to Illinois in the fall of 1849, and located in Adams County, near Quincy, where they resided about ten years. In 1859 they came to Missouri and settled in Cass County. William spent his youth on a farm, and in July, 1862, he enlisted in the Confederate service, in Corporal Hays cavalry regiment, where he remained about thirteen months. He was in the battles of Springfield, Hartsville and Cape Girardeau, Missouri, and Helena, Arkansas, July 4, 1863. On his return from the army he engaged in farming in Adams County. In the spring of 1866 he returned to Missouri and settled in Bates County, where he purchased land and improved his present farm. Mr. Allen has 100 acres, all in cultivation with a bearing orchard, in section 30. He was married in Bates County September 6, 1866, to Miss Margaret Burkhart, of Newton County, Missouri, and a daughter of Michael and Frances Burkhart. They have three children: Henry Wesley, Walter Lee and William Spencer. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - Wilson Allen, proprietor of the Altona House, was born in Montgomery County, Tennessee, December 22, 1836, and is the son of William Allen, a farmer by occupation, and a native of Virginia. His mother, formerly Nancy Usuary, was born in Tennessee. The subject of this sketch was the youngest of eight children, four sons and four daughters. When six years old his parents removed to Miller County, Missouri, where he was reared on a farm. When eighteen years old his father died and his mother removed to Jefferson City. Wilson remained there about four years, after which he returned to Miller County and farmed two years. In 1861 he enlisted in Captain Hawthorne's Company, and participated in the battle of Wilson's Creek, and was a member of the same company until the close of the war, when he settled in Morgan County, Missouri. He gave his attention to farming and trading for two years and then removed to Moniteau County, where he farmed until 1876, when he came to Bates County. After tilling the soil until the spring of 1882, he engaged in the drug business with Dr. Hudson at Altona. In September, 1882, he took charge of the Altona hotel and livery stable, which he has since conducted with great success. Mr. Allen is a member of the Baptist Church. On April 12, 1854, he was married to Miss Della Aust; she was born in Nashville, Tennessee, April 28, 1837. They have seven children living: Eva D., John W., Amanda, Nancy, Jimmie, Lee, and Marve; they have lost two: John T., and Miller. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
L.B. Allison was born in Holland, Erie County, N.Y., in the year 1835, and spent his early life largely in the private and public schools where he resided. At the age of seventeen he studied two years under a normal instructor and then began teaching in the rural schools of Western New York. He afterwards took a full course in the celebrated Fredonia Academy, graduating in 1857, and resumed teaching. Taught village schools as principal till coming to Missouri in 1867, when he began teaching in public schools. Was elected County School Superintendent in 1868, and engaged largely in organizing new school districts, some sixty in number, during his term of office. Was Principal of the Butler Public Schools for three years, instituting the first graded system of the same. Resigning on account of ill health, he spent several months in Colorado. On his return, he entered the Butler Academy then in its infancy, where he taught twelve consecutive years with Rev. Powelson and Prof. J.W. Naylor. Those prosperous days of the school will long be remembered by both teachers and pupils. Was elected superintendent of the Appleton City Schools in 1889 and taught a successful term of one year and began his second term under favorable conditions save that of health, which failed, forcing him to resign. Fora time his recovery was deemed impossible, but what was regarded at the time as a great calamity has proved a great physical benefit, for his recovery gave him a new lease of life, and the present time finds him still engaged in his chosen profession, with the same earnestness, zeal and vigor of twenty years ago, and has probably taught more years in Southwest Missouri than any other person. Has kept up with the times, nor has years of faithful work in the school room lessened his ardor in teh cause of education. He is strong and vigorous both in body and mind, and as capable of efficient service as a man of twenty-five. He is a close student, and a scholarly gentleman, and no teacher with whom we are acquainted stands closer to the army of young men and women who have sat at his feet in the class room than he does. This fact alone is a monument to his fidelity and enduring work. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
ALLISON, Luther Bernard, Professor
Mt. Pleasant Township - Professor Luther Bernard Allison was born in Erie County, New York, in May 1835. His father, Rev. J.C. Allison was a native of Newberry, Orange County, New York, and his mother, formerly Charlotte Bailey was born in Ulster County, the same state. The subject of this sketch was the son of a missionary and was brought up on the frontier of Western New York and in Canada. After obtaining a common school education, mostly at home, he entered the Union School at Gowanda where he remained for two years. When eighteen years old he commenced to teach school, and after several terms he took a thorough course of study at the celebrated Fredonia Academy, where he received his certificate of graduation in 1857. his life work has been devoted to teaching, he having taught most of the time for twenty-nine years. He came to Bates County, Missouri, in 1866 and was elected in the fall of 1868 county superintendent of schools, holding this position for two years and during which time he organized some sixty schools. He did more in reorganizing schools and building school houses than any other superintendent. In 1873 he took charge of the Butler public schools and continued as principal for three years, in which his health failed. He resigned and spent a season in Colorado and upon recovering his health he returned in the fall of 1876 and became engaged in the Butler Academy with Professor Naylor, where he still remains. He married Miss Apolina Scott, daughter of Justice Scott of Cattaraugus County, New York. Her mother was formerly Selecta Darling. Professor Allison has a finely improved farm in Hudson near the town, upon it there being a good orchard of choice fruit. Politically he belongs to the Republican party and he is a liberal contributor to the support and building of churches. John C. Allison, the father of Luther B., was deprived of his mother by death when he was but five days old and was adopted by his grandparents with whom he lived until fourteen years old, when his grandfather died. He then worked on a farm and attended school until he ws seventeen years of age, when he commenced teaching school which he followed for eight years. At the age of twenty-five he united with the Presbyterian Church and commenced a course of study preparatory to the work of ministry. His study caused a change of views on the subject of baptism and he therefore joined the Baptist Church in 1833. He was married to Miss Charlotte Bailey May 14, 1833, and on the same day both were baptised and joined the Baptist Church at Lattingtown. In September following he was ordained to preach and in the succeding October he moved to Holland, Erie County. Aided by the missionary society he entered upon the work and found his first labor in St. Catherines, Canada. The patriot war made it necessary for him to leave that field, and upon returning to Erie County he supplied the destitute churches in that region. In 1839 he became pastor of the Baptist Church in Evans where he stayed until 1842. He preached at many churches very successfully and remained on the parsonage farm for eight years. While at Versailles (where he settled in 1846) Mrs. Allison died, and May 25, 1852, he married Miss E. Webster. In 1854, he was called to the church in Nashville. He purchased a small farm and farmed and preached alternately and for a few years supplied the churches of Nashville and Cherry Creek - then giving up his pastoral labors. He died June 2, 1866. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Prairie Township - Newton Allison, farmer and stock dealer, section 8, was born in Camden County, Missouri, June 6, 1838, and was the son of Willis and Rebecca Allison, the former of North Carolina, and born June 5, 1803, and the latter of Tennessee. Newton obtained a common school education and, upon arriving at manhood, commenced life for himself, as a farmer, though then without means. In 1879, he came from Camden to Bates County, and now owns 160 acres of fine land, and, to quite an extent, is interested in the stock business. Mr. Allison was married February 2, 1860, to Miss Mary Ann Moulder, of Camden County, Missouri. They have seven children: Anna, born January 7, 1861; Albert, born August 3, 1863; Porter, born November 27, 1866; Eliza Theresa, born September 16, 1868; Susan Thornley, born August 1, 1871; Buford, born November 11, 1873; and Claude, born October 22, 1878. Politically, Mr. A. is a Democrat. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ANDERSON, John William
Prairie Township - John William Anderson, druggist at Papinville, was born in Henry County, Missouri, December 20, 1852. His father, Dr. Zachariah Anderson, was a native of Tennessee, while his mother (formerly Miss Susan Gilkerson) came originally from Greenbrier County, Virginia. John was educated in the common schools of Missouri, and in 1854, he came to Bates County. In 1874, he commenced business life for himself as a druggist, which occupation he has steadily pursued to this date with much success. He has served as township trustee, but has never mingled to any extent in political affairs. October 13, 1880, Mr. A. married Miss Belle Barrows, of Prairie Township, Bates County, Missouri. They have one daughter, Madora. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Spruce Township - R.G. Andrews was born in Tennessee, January 10, 1816, and was the son of W.G. and Nancy (Graham) Andrews. The former was a native of Virginia and the latter of North Carolina. His father early moved to Tennessee with his parents, where he grew to manhood and was married. The subject of this sketch was rasied in his native state, and spent his youth on the farm, having but limited chances for attending school. His education has been obtained principally through his own efforts, but he is a man well informed on the current topics of the day. In 1840 he came to Missouri and located in Polk County, where he entered land and improved a farm, being one of the pioneers. He was married in March, 1842, to Miss Amanda Cates, a daughter of Ransom Cates, a native of North Carolina. Mr. Andrews was engaged in farming in Polk County until 1863, when he moved to Cooper County, but in one year he went to Saline County, where he resided for three years. In the spring of 1868 he came to Bates County, purchased land and improved his present farm. He has eighty acres, all fenced, with improvements, and resides on section 16. He has raised a family of seven children: Lizzie (wife of Burt Hayes); William L., Ann Eliza (wife of J.M. Johnson); Anice A., Rebecca A., R.G. and Henrietta. Mrs. Andrews died December 13, 1878. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ANDREWS, William L.
Spruce Township - William L. Andrews, farmer, section 16, was born in Polk County, Missouri, March 23, 1845. R.G. Andrews, his father, is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Maury County, January 10, 1816, while his mother, whose maiden name was Amanda Cates, came originally from North Carolina. The former moved to Missouri in 1840, and settled in Polk County. William L. passed his boyhood days on a farm and attending the common schools. He enlisted in August, 1862, in the Confederate service, in the Eighth Missouri Cavalry, Col. Jeff Thompson's Regiment, and served until the close of the war. He participated in several important engagements, among which were the fights at Lone Jack, Missouri, Helena and Prairie Grove, Arkansas. After the war, Mr. Andrews returned to Saline County and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1869 he came to Bates County, where he has since been occupied in farming and stock raising. In 1878 he moved upon his present farm, which contains eighty acres, with sixty acres improved and twenty acres of timber, a fair house and a young orchard. He was here married, January 20, 1878, to Miss Charity Logan, a daughter of E.W. Logan. She was born in Perry County, Illinois, and was there raised and educated. They have two children: Carrie E., born April 11, 1880, and Leonora E., born December 4, 1881. Mrs. Andrews is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - L.H. Argenbright, farmer, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, November 19, 1842, and is the fourth child of John and Catherine Argenbright nee Steele. When thirteen years old he came to Saline County, Missouri, with his father (who was a cooper by occupation), and remained one winter in Jonestown, then going to Morgan County, where he lived on a farm, growing to manhood and enjoying fair school advantages. He enlisted, August 14, 1862, when scarcely twenty years old, in Company C, Thirty-third Missouri Volunteer Infantry, known as the Merchants' Exchange Regiment, of St. Louis. He was sergeant of the company, and was in several battles, among others those of Marshville, Helena and Mobile. He received his discharge August 14, 1865. Returning to Morgan County, he was engaged in teaching school for two terms. In 1868 he worked at mining for some time. He was married on the 16th of July of that year to Miss M.M. Harrison, a native of the state, who was born September 30, 1852. In 1871 Mr. A. removed to Bates County and embarked in farming, and here he owns 200 acres of land, which lies adjoining the village of Altona. His place is well watered, timbered, and among the best farms of the township. Mrs. Argenbright is a member of the Methodist Church South. They have two children, George L.C. and Aaron B. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - Preston Argenbright, one of the principal farmers and stock men of this township, was born in Augusta County, Virginia, on October 16, 1838, being the second in a family consisting of four brothers and two sisters. His parents, John and Catherine Jane (Steele) Argenbright, were also Virginians by birth, and the former was a cooper by trade. Preston was educated in a common subscription school. When seventeen years of age he came to Missouri and for one year was a resident of Saline County, his father having gone there in 1855. Thence he removed to Morgan County and made it his home for nine years, being married there February 10, 1861, to Miss Rebecca P. Harrison, a native of Tennessee. He held the position of justice of the peace for three years in Morgan County, and for four months was connected with the Enrolled Missouri Militia. At the close of the war he came to Bates County, and was thus enabled to secure his choice of country. He now has one of the best farms in the wealthiest portions of the county. His residence is on section 16, where he owns 490 acres of good land, in good condition, and admirably adapted to the raising of stock. He handles annually about sixty head of cattle, twenty of horses and mules, 100 hogs and over 200 sheep. Mr. A. and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. They have eight children: Albert, John A., James E., Charles H., Anna Steele, Lena Price, Dosia, and Bertha Lee. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Wilson Arnold, section 4, was born in Gwinnett County, Georgia, June 29, 1840, and was the son of Colonel Henry J. Arnold, a native of Virginia, and Mary Frances(Watley) Arnold, of Georgia. Wilson spent his youth until about eighteen years old on a farm at his birthplace. In 1856 he came to Missouri with his parents and located within three miles of Kansas City, but shortly after went to Kansas. They soon removed to Bates County, Missouri, on account of the Kansas troubles. Wilson Arnold took a trip to Texas in 1859 and spent two years in that state. Returning to Missouri in 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate service in June of that year under Colonel Payton, but was afterward transferred to Shelby's First Missouri Cavalry and served till the close of the war, when he surrendered at Shreveport. He participated in the fights of Lone Jack, Wilson's Creek, Missouri; Prairie Grove, Helena, Jenkins' Ferry, Arkansas, and Cape Girardeau. He was wounded at Lexington and also at Wilson's Creek. After the final surrender he returned to his family, who had removed to Benton County, where he farmed for two years. In 1867 he went to Henry County and resided there ten years. In March, 1877, Mr. Arnold came to St. Clair County, locating on his present farm in March, 1882. He has 160 acres, all improved. Mr. Arnold was married in this county April 2, 1862, to Miss Hannah F. Hinkle, a native of Kentucky and a daughter of D. M. Hinkle, who was one of the pioneer settlers of St. Clair County. They have five children: James W., Henry J., George W., Ollie Octavia and Joseph M. Mr. and Mrs. Arnold are members of the M. E. Church, South. (1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., page 1127)
ASBURY, Joseph H.
Rockville Township - Joseph H. Asbury was born in Howard County, Missouri, March 7, 1855, and is the second of a family of six children. His father, George W. Asbury, was a farmer by occupation and a native of Missouri. His mother, whose maiden name was Penitch Bailey, came originally from Virginia. When Joseph was a lad of six years the family removed to Indiana, where his father died when the son was twelve years old. In 1870 the mother returned to Missouri and settled in Bates County. J.H. continued working on the farm until 1875, when he came to Rockville and engaged in his present business. In 1880 he erected the business house which he now occupies at a cost of $3,000. Mr. Asbury was married, May 6, 1879, to Miss Clara Fagan, a native of Illinois. They have one child, Eddie, born May 7, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
The subject of this sketch was born in Putnam County, West Virginia, in the valley of the Great Kanawha river, and was reared to manhood there. He is the son of a farmer and had the usual experiences and passed through the ordinary vicissitudes of farm life in that country. He attended the country schools and quit the public schools a pupil of the Buffalo Academy. At the beginning of the college year of 1873-'74 he entered the Kentucky University at Lexington, matriculating in the Agricultural and Mechanical College and pursued a special course in mathematics, literature, history, book keeping, and military training, with recitations in chemistry. He remained in the university only about 7 months, and on account of sickness, returned home, and went to work on the farm. The following winter he taught school in Mason County, W. Va., and with the money so earned he matriculated in the West Virginia State Normal School at Fairmont, and graduated from the same in June, 1875. The following winter he was principal of the New Haven graded schools, and in the spring of 1876 he became one of the editors and proprietors of the West Virginia Monitor, published at Point Pleasant, W. Va. After a few months he disposed of his interest in the paper and returned to the farm and began the study of law, and was admitted to the bar in Winfield, W. Va., in 1877. In 1878 he removed to Council Grove, Kansas, where he resided and practiced his profession until he came to Rich Hill in 1882. He was elected justice of the peace in Council Grove, Kansas, and served out a term of two years. In October, 1889, he removed with his family to Butler, where he has since resided. He was elected prosecuting attorney of Bates County in 1890 and served a term of two years successfully. In 1892 he was a candidate for circuit judge on the People's Party ticket and was also nominated by electors, and carried three counties out of the four composing the 29th judicial circuit, but was defeated. The election of his opponent was contested, the opinion of the Supreme Court being recorded in 115 Mo. Repts. He became the editor of the Butler Free Press in 1894 and has been with the paper ever since, and is regarded by friend and foe as a clear, decisive writer, a fair and honorable editor, and a good citizen. He lives in a comfortable cottage home with a family of five children, having recently lost his wife whom he married in Barton County, Mo., in 1884. He was a member of the state committee. In 1894 the Kentucky Central Normal School confered on him the honorary degree of A.M. He is a man of varied culture, firm convictions, and great tenacity of purpose; and his home has always been an open door to all who wish to come and share its modest and cordial hospitality. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
John Atkison was born in Kanawha County, West Virginia, November 12, 1815. He lived there until grown, on a farm, and attended school only six months, traveling three miles over a high mountain to and from. His father died when he was twenty years old. His mother then moved to Ohio with a family of seven children and settled in Mercer county. He married Miss Hannah Catterlin on June 18, 1840. While living there he was elected and commissioned a Justice of the Peace. After that he was elected captain of a militia company under the existing laws of Ohio, and was commissioned by the Governor. Two children were born there. They then moved to Missouri in a two-horse wagon in 1844, and settled near Otterville in Cooper county, nine children being born to them while living there. They moved to Bates county March 28, 1860, settling in Pleasant Gap. Two children were born there, making in all 13 children. The fact of coming from a free state to Missouri he was looked on and called a black Republican and Abolitionist. He enlisted in Co. "H", 7th Calvary, M.S.M. in 1862, and served about one year in Co. "H", as first Lieutenant. On account of disability, he was compelled to resign. Soon afterward he was appointed captain of a company of home guards for Bates county by Gov. Fletcher, with headquarters at Pleasant Gap. He was elected sheriff in the fall of 1864, and shortly afterward the legislature passed a bill disfranchising all rebels and rebel sympathisers, and declaring all the county offices vacant. Then the Governor appointed him to fill out his unexpired term. In 1866 he was elected again, and in all served the people as sheriff four years. He was also ex-officio collector of taxes. Prior to his election as sheriff the first time he was a Judge of the County Court. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Mt. Pleasant Township - O.D. Austin was born in Shelby, Richland County, Ohio, October 7, 1841. His ancestors were of French origin and immigrated to America early in the history of colonial settlements, locating in Massachusetts. His father, Horace Austin, was born in Massachusetts, July 16, 1804. He afterwards took up his residence in Pennsylvania, where he engaged in teaching school and studying medicine. He graduated from a medical school in Philadelphia, and came to Shelby, Ohio, where he began the practice of his profession, remaining there till 1844, when he removed to Plymouth, in the same county. At the beginning of the war he entered the Union army as a surgeon, but fell a victim to the hardships and exposure of a vigorous campaign. He became an invalid, returned home and died in 1863, in the fifty-ninth year of his age. His wife was formerly Flavia A. Conger, sister of Hon. O.D. Conger, United States Senator from Michigan. The subject of this sketch was the eldest of six children, and until sixteen years of age was a student at the public schools of Plymouth, the home of his father. He then attended school for one year in Illinois, and returning to Ohio he entered the Herald newspaper office in Mansfield. In 1862, through the influence of Hon. John Sherman, he received the appointment of a clerkship in the United States Treasury Department in Washington. He was a spectator in Ford's Theater on the night of April 14, 1865, when President Lincoln was assassinated. In April, 1866, he accepted a position as foreman in the office of the Kansas City Advertiser, the first daily Democratic paper established in that place. He remained in this position about six months, and in November of the same year became general manager of the Bates County Record, at Butler, Missouri. In the spring of 1867, he returned to Kansas City, and acted as local editor on the Advertisor until October of the same year, when he returned to Butler, purchased the Record office, and has continued the publication of that paper until the present time. In October, 1881, he was appointed postmaster at Butler. Politically he is a Republican, taking an active part in political affairs, and rendering essential service to the party. In his religious preferences he is liberal. He is a member of the Masonic order and a Knight Templar. He was married May 3, 1871, to Miss Florence May Stobie, daughter of George and Maria L. Stobie, of Butler, formerly of Pittsfield, Illinois. They have two children: Edwin S. and Nellie B. As a journalist Mr. Austin is liberal, courteous and sincere, denouncing the iniquities of all parties with an unsparing hand, and advocating such measures as he believes to be for the public good. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
O.D. Austin was born in Shelby, Richland County, Ohio, October 7, 1841. His father was of French extraction and was born in Massachusetts July 16, 1804. He was an eminent physician and began his professional career in Shelby, Ohio. His wife, whose maiden name was Flavia A. Conger, was a sister of Hon. O.D. Conger, United States Senator from Michigan. The subject of this sketch was the oldest of six children and was educated in the public schools of Plymouth, Ohio. At the age of 17 he entered the office of the Herald at Marshfield, Ohio. In 1862, through the influence of Hon. John Sherman, he obtained a clerkship in the treasury department at Washington. He was present at Ford's theatre on April 14, 1865, and saw President Lincoln shot. In 1866 he came to Kansas City, Mo., and was foreman in the office of the Kansas City Advertiser for about six months. This was the first daily paper published there. In November of the same year he went to Butler and became general manager of the Bates County Record. In the spring of 1867 he returned to Kansas City and was local editor of the Advertiser until October, at which time he returned to Butler and purchased the Record plant, and has continued to own and publish the Record ever since. In October, 1881, he was appointed postmaster at Butler by President Arthur. He was again appointed postmaster in 1889 by President Harrison and served the people acceptably. He is a member of the Masonic order and a Knight Templar, and is prominent in the order, having been Deputy District Grand Master for the last four years. He was married May 3, 1871, to Miss Florence M. Stobie of Butler, formerly of Pittsfield, Ill. They have two children, Edwin S. and Nellie B. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
AVERY, William E.
Howard Township - William E. Avery, dealer in hardware and farm implements, is a native of Lafayette County, Missouri, and was born in 1864. His parents were B.W. and Elizabeth Avery, his father originally from North Carolina, and his mother a Kentuckian by birth. They had four children: Mollie, Wm. E., John E. and George W. After their marriage, in Lafayette County, they settled on a farm, where they now reside. William was educated at Brownville, Missouri, and upon leaving school he entered the employ of B.D. Buford, at Kansas City, remaining for some time. In September, 1882, he purchased the stock of Fisher & Thomas, at Hume, where he is now doing an extensive business, and although the youngest business man of the place, he has met with such success and encouragement as an enterprising and straightforward merchant is bound to secure. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)