Bates County Biographies
CAMPBELL, John W.
Rockville Township - John W. Campbell, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Ogle County, Illinois, November 14, 1839. His father was Chester Campbell and his mother's maiden name was Mary A. Pratt, both of whom were born in Pennsylvania. John was reared on the farm in Illinois, and received a fair education at Rockview Seminary at Mount Morris. May 24, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Fifteenth Illinois Infantry, and participated in the battle of Pittsburg Landing and was for some time in the hospital at Rolla, Missouri. He received his discharge August 20, 1862. Soon after he married, October 21, 1863, Miss Mary S. Johnson, who was born at Racine, Wisconsin, June 1, 1844. He then attended Eastman's Commercial College at Chicago, graduating in 1866. The following year he removed to Bates County, Missouri, and has since been engaged in farming. His farm is on section 1 and contains 120 acres in cultivation. He has a good orchard, containing 330 apple, fifty peach trees and a quantity of small fruits. Mr. Campbell handles about 100 sheep, twenty cattle, thirty hogs, etc. He is a member of M.E. Church, and is also connected with the farmers' order of Patrons of Husbandry. He was a justice of the peace for four years, and since 1872 has been a school director. He has two children living: Minnie L. and Della C. Four are deceased: Ernest, Bertie, Henry E. and Nellie. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CAMPBELL, Rufus B.
Pleasant Gap Township - Rufus B. Campbell, merchant, Pleasant Gap, Missouri, is a native of Missouri, and was born in Bates County, September 13, 1866. His parents were William W. Campbell, a native of Nashville, Tennessee, and Mary J. (Wilson) Campbell, who was born in Kentucky. The former grew to manhood in his native county, and came to Missouri when a young man, first locating in Henry County, of which he was one of the pioneers. He moved to Bates County, about 1854. Rufus B. was raised in Bates County, his youth being spent on a farm and attending the common schools. He was married September 10, 1878, to Miss Sarah B. Pettis, also of this county, and a daughter of William H. Pettis. After his marriage Mr. Campbell farmed about three years, and in November, 1881, he engaged in the mercantile business at Pleasant Gap. He carries a large stock of groceries and is enjoying a very fair trade. He is a pleasant and agreeable business man and is bound to succeed. Mr. and Mrs. C. have three children: Jehu L., born October 26, 1878; William M., born September 2, 1880, and an infant son, born October 2, 1882. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CANTRELL, John G.
Grand River Township - John G. Cantrell, farmer, was born in Lumpkin County, Georgia, October 15, 1850, and is the third of a family of six boys and three girls, of whom he has four brothers and two sisters now living. His father, Stephen Cantrell, was a native of South Carolina, and his mother, whose maiden name was Lydia McClure, was born in Georgia. When he was sixteen years old John G. came to Platte County, Missouri, with the family, and in one year to Bates County, they settling upon raw prairie, that has since been changed to a finely improved farm of 300 acres. He remained upon his father's farm until 1879, when, on the 5th of March, he was married to Miss Jane Owens, daughter of John Owens and a native of Bates County, born October 21, 1861. He then moved to his own farm in section 13, consisting of 216 acres, which he has in a good state of cultivation and well improved. It is well adapted to the raising of stock, and he handles quite a number of cattle and hogs. Mr. Cantrell is a member of Altona Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and has been W.M. of the lodge for three years. He has also been clerk of the township two years. He and his wife have two children, Lydia E., born February 23, 1880, and Gilman E., born October 23, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mingo Township - L.O. Carleton, merchant and postmaster at Mayesburg, was born in Washington County, Indiana, April 8, 1837, and is the second in a family of ten children. His father, Samuel Carleton, was a native of Virginia and a farmer by occupation. His mother, whose maiden name was Sidney E. Baker, came originally from Indiana. L.O. moved to Benton County, Missouri, when but three years old, and was there reared on his father's farm, receiving a fair education in the country schools. When just about twenty-two years old, on May 26, 1859, he married Miss Margaret Tindall, a native of Knox County, Tennessee. He then began farming, and continued it until he enlisted, in 1862, in Captain Gallaher's company, of which he was sergeant. His service extended until 1865. At the close of the war he came to Johnstown, and was engaged in the mercantile trade for ten years, being the postmaster during his stay there. In 1878 he settled at Mayesburg and entered into business with Mr. Mayes, and was the first postmaster of this town. Since August, 1881, Mr. C. has been in business for himself. He carries a good stock and is enjoying a fair trade. He is a member of the Christian Church and is a Mason. They have four children: Samuel M., Sylvester, Powhatan and Walter. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CARMAN, John W.
Howard Township - John W. Carman, druggist, was born in the year 1857, in Iroquis County, Illinois, his parents being Reuben and Nancy (Moore) Carman. The former a native of Parke County, Indiana, was a son of James and Mary Carman. Reuben Carman and Nancy Moore were married in 1847, first settling in Iroquois County, Illinois, and later in Livingston County, where they resided until coming to Bates County, Missouri, in 1871. They located on a farm in Walnut Township, which they now occupy. John W. was principally educated in this county, and began life as a farmer, but owing to failing health he was obliged to turn his attention to some other calling. Accordingly he entered the store of Dr. Herndon, at Hume, and finally purchased the stock and building in which he is now doing an excellent practice. He is well liked among his acquaintances, and is a competent druggist and well fitted for his position. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CARNES, Edward Kendall
Mt. Pleasant Township - Edward Kendall Carnes, station agent and telegraph operator at Butler, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, May 12, 1855. He received a good academic education at the Clermont Academy, Professor James D. Parker, principal, where his father, Jesse Carnes, had also received his education in 1842. The latter moved from Ohio to Coles County, Illinois, and is now engaged in the lumber business. He married Miss Amanda McFarland, originally from Clermont County, Ohio. They had seven children, of which the subject of this sketch is the fourth. His mother died in 1867, and his father married for his second wife, Miss SMSary Cusick, in 1869. They have two children, Lewis and Norwood. In 1870, Edward learned the art of telegraphy, at Olney, Illinois, and worked first for the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad line for four years. He spent a year or so in Chicago, keeping books, and then returned to the same road where he had formerly been employed. In 1877, he was engaged in the offices of the Missouri Pacific, and after working at Sedalia, he was called to the general office in St. Louis, where he continued four years. After that he was assistant train dispatcher (or agent), and in May, 1880, he came to Butler, and has had charge of this station since. His accounts are ever correct, and his manner of doing business, and the general management of the office is giving the best of satisfaction to the business men and the railroad company. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CARROLL, Jacob W.
Jacob W. Carroll, the owner of a farm consisting of 200 acres, located in section 19, is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Roane County, March 6, 1844. When he was about ten years of age he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since resided. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, Seventh Missouri Infantry, of the Confederate service, and remained in active service until the close of the war. January 16, 1873, Mr. Carroll married Miss Lizzie Ellis, a Kentuckian by birth. They have one child, Myrtie J. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883
CARTER, Ezra H.
Rockville Township - Ezra H. Carter, hardware merchant, was born in Saratoga County, New York, November 7, 1836. His father, John Carter, who was a native of Connecticut, married Miss Delia Foote, originally from New York. Ezra is the eldest of five children. The family settled in LaSalle County, Illinois, when he was fourteen years old, and there he received his education and grew to manhood. In 1861, he entered a store and clerked until enlisting in 1863 in Company B, First Illinois. He served until 1865, and was in Sherman's grand march. On his return he entered the office of the Illinois Central Railroad and worked until coming to this county in 1866. He followed the occupation of farmer until 1877, excepting two years spent in a mill, and in a store in Clay Centre, Kansas. In 1877, Mr. Carter came to Rockville and in company with T.D. Sanders, opened a hardware store, and he has recently bought the interest of Mr. Sanders. He is a Mason, having joined the order while living in Illinois. He was married to Salina A. Forquer, a native of Virginia, on the 17th of May, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CATRON, Robert Smith
Mt. Pleasant Township - Robert Smith Catron, county treasurer and ex-county collector, was born in Lafayette County, Missouri, August 25, 1839. His father was Stephen Catron, a farmer by occupation and a native of Virginia. His mother, formerly Elizabeth Smith, was a Kentuckian by birth. Robert enjoyed good common school advantages and then attended the Shelby College, where he qualified himself for any position in life which he might be called to occupy. After the death of the father, in 1867, the large farm of 700 acres was divided among his seven children. Robert S. settled on his eighty acres and commenced farming it. In 1869 he sold this place and moved to Bates County, locating in West Point Township, where he bought a farm. Upon this he remained until 1880, when he was elected county collector, and moved into Butler. The township organization taking effect during his term, the office was abandoned. In the election of 1882 he was elected to the responsible position of county treasurer, which he is now filling with great credit to himself. Mr. Catron married Miss Eliza Fulkerson, of Andrew County, in 1868. She was the daughter of William Fulkerson, who was born in Missouri. Her mother's maiden name was Sarah Breckenridge, a relative of the old Kentucky family of that name. They have four children living: Thomas W., Clarence P., Florence R. and Fannie L. In his political preferences Mr. C. is a Democrat. He is a Royal Arch Mason. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CHAMBERS, J. Frank
The subject of this sketch was born in eastern Bates county, Mo., January 26, 1868; lived on his father's farm, assisting on same and going to school in the winter, until he was twenty years old, then he entered Butler College where he attended school two years. From this school he went to the Ft. Scott Normal College which he attended one year. He then taught school two years and afterwards farmed and taught school, and was also engaged in the mercantile business at Spruce, and at Butler. In 1894 he was married to Miss Callie M. Patrick. To them have been born four children. Mr. Chambers has always taken great interest in politics, being a Republican. In 1898 the Republicans of Bates honored him with the nomination for Circuit Clerk and he came nearest to election of any one on the county ticket. June 30, 1899, Mr. Chambers, together with W.C. Cohenour, edited, published, and sent out the first copy of the Bates County Republican, which Mr. Chambers is now editing and publishing, he having purchased the interest of Mr. Cohenour. By good management and hard work he has built up one of the leading Republican papers of Southwest Missouri. While Mr. Chambers is yet a young man he is quite well known in and outside of Bates county. He has a bright future before him. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
CHAMBERS, William N.
Deepwater Township - The subject of this sketch was born in Ashland County, Ohio, March 2, 1841, and was the son of John and Jane Chambers nee Nelson, natives of Pennsylvania. The youth of William N. was spent on his father's farm and he received a good, common school education. In November, 1861, he enlisted, at his country's call, in the Forty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served three years in the war of the rebellion. He participated in numerous engagements, the most important being those of the Vicksburg campaign. While in the hospital at Cumberland Gap he was taken prisoner and held for six weeks and then parolled. After the close of the war he returned to his home where he remained about three months, after which he came west and farmed one year in Marion County. In the spring of 1866 he came to Missouri, bought raw land and located in Bates County where he now has 230 acres of land, all fenced and well improved. He has a good, substantial residence, barn and outbuildings, and a bearing orchard of apple, peach, pear and cherry trees. This place is enclosed with hedge, and is located in section 10. Mr. Chambers was married in Henry County, January 27, 1867, to Miss Martha P. Dobson, a daughter of B.F. Dobson, of Henry County. They have five children: John F., Ewin, Arthur, Albert and Minnie May. Mr. C. is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CHAMPION, Norton R., M.D.
Pleasant Gap Township - Norton R. Champion, M.D., is among the prominent physicians of this county. He is a native of Michigan, and was born in Branch County, March 4, 1838. His parents, R.J. and Mary S. (Cross) Champion, were born in Connecticut. The former grew to manhood in his native state; his father served in the war of the Revolution and was a captain under General Gates. He was wounded and drew a pension. R.J. Champion was among the first settlers of Branch County, Michigan. He built one of the first residences at Coldwater and the first mill erected there and was long engaged in the mercantile and flouring mill business. He died there in 1864. Norton spent his youth in the public schools of Branch and the Coldwater High school and in his father's store. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Company B, Forty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under Captain W.W. Barrett, and served three years and four months in the army. He participated in about thirty engagements, among the most important of which were the fights of Perryville, Kentucky; Murfreesboro, Tennessee; Resaca, Buzzard's Roost, Dalton, Kenesaw Mountain, Altona, Chickamauga, Chattanooga and the fights of the Atlanta campaign and numerous engagements in Missouri. After the service he was occupied in the sutler business at Nashville, and followed it there about eighteen months. In the spring of 1867 he returned to Coldwater and was again engaged in the mercantile trade there until 1873. While in business he commenced the study of medicine and in the winter of 1874-75 took his first course of lectures at the American Eclectic College at Cincinnati, where he was graduated in the fall of 1876. He subsequently commenced the practice of his profession at Shelbyville, Indiana, where he remained about one year. In November, 1877, the doctor came to Missouri and located in Pleasant Gap and has built up a large and increasing practice. He was married in Coldwater, Michigan, in May, 1870, to Miss Helen A. Dibble, a daughter of Charles Dibble, of Coldwater. She was born in New York but early moved to Michigan with her parents and was raised in Branch County and educated at the Coldwater High School. Dr. C. has a farm of eighty acres in section 11, all in cultivation. His good orchard contains some 250 apple trees, besides peaches and cherries and a variety of small fruits. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Hudson Township - E.S. Chapin, farmer and stock feeder, section 2, was born in Medina County, Ohio, October 16, 1838. His father, Calvin Chapin, born in 1805 in Connecticut, married Miss Susannah Cole Stiles, a native of Massachusetts. The former grew to manhood in his native state, and moved to Ohio when a young man, where he was married. He had a family of six children, three of whom were sons, the subject of this sketch being the oldest son and the third child. He was raised in the county of his birth, on the farm and at the public schools, where he received his primary education, supplemented with some three terms attendance at the Seville Academy. In the fall of 1861 he enlisted in Company G, Forty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Colonel Garfield (the late lamented president), and served three years in the army, and participated in the siege of Vicksburg, where he was wounded. He was also in the engagements of Prestonsburg, Pound Gap, Cumberland Gap, Chickasaw Bayou and Arkansas Post, and numerous others. After his discharge, in the fall of 1864, Mr. Chapin returned to Ohio and was married, December 29, 1864, to Miss Sarah Field, a native of Medina County. He then farmed there for two years, and in the spring of 1867 came to Missouri, and bought land in Bates County, and improved his present farm. He moved on this place in January, 1868, where he has since resided, owning 220 acres of land in his home place and twenty acres of timber. The home farm is well improved, with eighty acres in grass. A large dwelling and a bearing orchard of 100 apple trees further adorn the place. Mr. and Mrs. Chapin have six children: Clyde F., Leroy S., Lulia E., Myrta M., Roland T. and Gracie. Mr. C. is identified with the Republican party, and was elected collector of Hudson Township in 1881. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - E.N. Chastain, physician and surgeon, has been prominently identified with the town of Hume and the adjacent country for some time. He was born in Benton County, Missouri, March 4, 1856. Edward Chastain, his father, born in 1817, in Logan County, Kentucky, was reared there, and afterwards married Miss Elizabeth Togen, of the same county, born in December, 1822. They early located in Benton County, Missouri, where Edward Chastain died, and on February 16, 1868, his widow married George W. Pierce, a native of Tennessee, born in 1811, they subsequently settling in Bates County, where they now reside. The subject of this sketch received his literary education at the State University of Columbia, Missouri, and in 1873 he began the study of medicine under Dr. John Duncan, of Columbia. He afterwards attended lectures at the State Medical University in that city, and March 2, 1881, was graduated at St. Louis. Soon he became located at Hume, and has since resided here. December 21, 1881, Dr. Chastain married Miss Nanna Berry, a native of Pettis County, Missouri. She was the daughter of W.N. and Eliza (Williams) Berry. The doctor and his wife have one child. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - F.H. Cheverton came originally from the Isle of Wight, England, where he was born August 11, 1850. He obtained his education in the country of his birth, and when sixteen years of age, he began in his present business, which he followed in England till 1870. Emigrating to America he located in Kansas, near Fort Scott, where he was for five years engaged in farming. Since that time he has devoted his entire attention to the butchering business. In 1881 he came to Rich Hill, and became a partner in the firm now known as Buckeridge & Cheverton. Mr. C. was maried October 8, 1872, to Miss Isabel Greening, who was born in Illinois. They have three children: Edward P., Ada M., and Bessie. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CHILDS, Thomas W.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Thomas W. Childs, an active and influential citizen of Butler, owes his nativity to Frederick County, Virginia, where he was born April 8, 1839. His earlier years were devoted to farming there, his education being such as the district schools afforded. In 1859, determined to visit the West, he went to Carson City, Nevada, where he gave his attention to merchandising. In 1855 he located at Salt Lake City, and was interested in trade at that point until 1869, when upon returning eastward he settled at Butler, Missouri. During his first year's residence in the place he was engaged in farming, after which time he embarked in the dry goods business, and also dealing in agricultural implements. Thus he continued to be constantly occupied until in May, 1882, when upon disposing of his interests in the dry goods line to Cassidy & Pitkin, he turned his attention to the hardware and implement trade, also having on hand at this time a stock of wagons, buggies, etc. Mr. C. is a member of the firm of Lefker & Childs, dealers in grain, and he is also vice-president of the Butler National Bank, one of the most solid financial institutions in Western Missouri. He is the owner of the building in which he now does business, besides being the possessor of other structures and real estate in and about Butler. Mr. Childs is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and belongs to the Chapter and Commandery. He is also connected with the I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W. orders. He is at present one of the trustees of Mount Pleasant Township. On December 19, 1864. occurred his marriage to Miss Sarah Coats, a Virginian by birth. Their family numbers six children: Shurley, Jessie, Nellie, Raymond, Edward, and Geneva. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CHRISMAN, George W.
Deer Creek Township - George W. Chrisman, physician and surgeon, Adrian, is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, where he was born July 27, 1838. His parents were Benjamin and Sarah (Carr) Chrisman. When George was fourteen years old they moved to Indiana, where he attended the common schools until eighteen years old. Then he began the study of medicine with Dr. John Jeleff, with whom he studied for three years. In September, 1859, he entered the McDowell Medical College, at St. Louis, and attended that college two terms, and graduated in March, 1865. He subsequently located in St. Clair County, Missouri, in the town of Roscoe, where he remained six years. Thence to Burdette, Bates County, where he practiced until 1882, when he settled in Adrian. The Dr. has two good farms in the county and a fine residence in the town of Adrian. He enlisted in September, 1861, in Company A, Forty-second Indiana, and was discharged July 27, 1865. He was assistant surgeon of his regiment, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant. He was taken prisoner at Vicksburg, but in seven days was paroled. He is a member of Everett lodge No. 226, A.F. and A.M., and also belongs to the I.O.O.F. order. Dr. Chrisman was married December 4, 1865, to Miss Etta Henry, a native of Ohio. They have five children: William, Hattie, Clifton, Jesse, and Maud. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - J.M. Christy, homeopathic physician and surgeon, was born in Fleming County, Kentucky, August 8, 1850, and is a son of Ambrose B. and Elizabeth J. (Fagan) Christy, both natives of Fleming County. J.M. received his primary education in the common schools, and attended the University of Kentucky for two years, having previously chosen the practice of medicine for a profession. In 1871, he came to Missouri and completed the study of medicine with Dr. W.L. Hedges, of Warrensburg. He was later a student at the New York Homeopathy College, from which instituion he wa graduated in 1874. The same year he began his practice in Johnson County, Missouri. In the spring of 1877, he came to Bates County and located at Paris City. In the fall of 1879 he removed to Butler, where he has since resided. In September, 1881, Dr. C. went to New York, where he attended lectures in different colleges. In the spring of 1882, he received a special diploma from the Gynaecological Department. The doctor was married to Miss Tilitha F. Ellis, September 3, 1873. Mrs. C. is a native of Kentucky, as was also her parents, James H. and Sallie J. (Gossett) Ellis. Dr. C. is fast building up a lucrative patronage in his profession, and is thoroughly convinced of the superior advantages of the homeopathic school as offered to the students of Hahnemann. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mound Township - Jesse Church was born in Wyoming County, New York, October 4, 1825, his parents being Timothy Church, and Hannah, nee Norris, both of New England birth, the former a native of New Hampshire and the latter of Vermont. Jesse is the fourth of thirteen children, five of whom are living. When he was a boy of five years, the family came west and located in Macomb County, Michigan, where he grew to maturity and received an average education. Returning to New York, he ws married there May 29, 1854, to Miss Carrie Wiggins, also a native of the Empire State. Soon after they returned to Michigan, living there two years, and thence to Illinois, which was their home until 1867. They then came to Johnson County, Missouri, and in 1874 to Bates County, where Mr. C. has since stayed. He handles quite a number of cattle and hogs, and is the owner of a farm consisting of 390 acres. Mr. Church has four children: George, who married Miss Lizzie Coleman; Nettie, wife of Jackson Thompson, of Linn County, Kansas; Fred, and Elva, at home. In politics, he is identified with the Republican party. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CLARK & SWINNEY
Osage Township - Clark & Swinney compose a prominent firm of real estate, loan and insurance agents. C.A. Clark, the senior member of the concern, is also an attorney-at-law and notary public, and was the first in the profession to locate in the city of Rich Hill and to engage in the real estate business. He helped to survey the first lots June 3, 1880, and in the following month he was appointed city clerk and attorney. In March, 1881, the town was made a city, since which time Mr. Clark has been city collector, and consequently has figured conspiciously in the building up of the place. He was born in Summit County, Ohio, November 15, 1845, and when but nine years of age moved with his parents, C.A. and Matilda (Dilley) Clark, to Davis County, Iowa, where he grew to manhood. There also he was educated, except for a period of time when he attended the schools of Oskaloosa, Iowa. He began the study of law in the office of Trimble & Cruthers, of Bloomfield, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar in December, 1869. In January, 1870, he began the practice of law at Windsor, Henry County, Missouri, at which point he continued till September, 1874, when he located at Galena, Cheroke County, Kansas. Here he gave his attention to his profession till 1880, when he came to his present residence. Mr. C. is an honored member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married, May 18, 1878, to Miss Fannie Hedges, of Fredonia, Wilson County, Kansas, but a native of Kentucky. - Griffith Swinney, partner in this firm, is a son of William and Nancy (Miller) Swinney, and was born in Decatur County, Indiana, July 22, 1843. When he was five years of age he was taken to Davis County, Iowa, by his parents. He was there reared and educated, after which he was employed many years as an educator. In 1861 he enlisted in Company I, Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, and remained in service with that company till his time of enlistment expired, which was three years. The regiment was then reorganized as a residuary battalion, and he served in Company A till August, 1865, when he was mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, having participated in many noted battles. In 1876 Mr. S. went from Davis County, Iowa, to Wichita, Kansas, and one year later to Chautauqua County, where he resided till the spring of 1879. Then he located at Elk Falls, same state, and in Novmber, 1880, came to Rich Hill, where he has snice been interested in his present business. During his time in Kansas he was principally engaged in teaching, but to some extent followed agricultural pursuits. Mr. Swinney was married, February 2, 1873, to Miss Belle Bussey, a native of Green County, Pennsylvania. By this union they have one child, Lola Carena. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CLARK, Franklin T.
Rockville Township - Franklin T. Clark, farmer, is the fifth in a family consisting of six children and was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on the 4th of October, 1853. His parents were Seth Clark, a Presbyterian minister, and Lucy Clark, nee Peck. When twelve years of age he came to Bates County, Missouri, in company with them and remained here until the age of fifteen, when he attended the school at Highland, Kansas. Afterwards he went to Crawfordsville, Indiana, and stopped there for four years. Upon completing the course he became engaged as salesman at Kansas City and other towns in Missouri and Kansas for about seven years. In 1879 he commenced farming in Henry County, and on October 2 of the same year was married to Miss Alice Wood, a native of Ohio. In 1880 he came to Bates County and has been farming ever since. He lives on section 10 and his farm contains 240 acres, all under fence and with good improvements. He handles cattle, hogs and sheep, and how has a flock of 350 head of the latter. He is a member of the Order of Odd Fellows. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark, Maggie A. and Seth G. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CLARK, Gen. H.C.
Harvey C. Clark now serving his second term as prosecuting attorney, is a native Missourian, born in 1869; and raised in Bates county, where he lived during the thirty years of his life. He enjyed exceptional educational advantages. After completing the course of study in the public schools of Butler and the Butler Academy, he attended Wentworth Male Academy at Lexington and then the Scarritt Collegiate Institute at Neosho, from which latter institution he graduated in 1891 as valedictorian of his class, receiving the degree of A.B. Upon leaving college he entered the law office of Judge DeArmond and Hon. T.J. Smith, who were then partners, and in 1893 was admitted to the bar by Judge Lay, passing an examination upon which he received the highest complement of the court. Upon being admitted to the practice of the law, he entered into partnership with W.W. Graves, now circuit judge of this judicial district, under the firm name of Graves & Clark. This firm was recognized as one of the strongest in Southwest Missouri and was engaged in some of the most important cases, both civil and criminal, in the jurisdiction of the state. This partnership continued until January 1, 1900, when Judge Graves assumed the duties of Circuit Judge. In 1896 Mr. Clark was elected Prosecuting attorney by one of the largest majorities ever given a candidate for a county office. During the memorable campaign of that year he established his reputation as a public speaker, spending some two months upon the stump in advocating the cause of his party. When war was declared against Spain and the president called for volunteers, he tendered his services to the governor and was appointed lieutenant colonel of the Sixth Missouri Volunteers, which reigment he organzed and commanded during the Spanish-American war. His regiment was attached to the 7th Army Corps, commanded by General Fitzhugh Lee, and assigned to the same division with the Third Nebraska, commanded by W.J. Bryan. Col. Clark's unassuming modesty, fairness and ability made him popular with his men, and upon his return home Governor Stephens commissioned him Brigadier General of the National Guards of the state in recognition of his services and ability. While serving with his regiment in the field he was renominated for a second term as prosecuting attorney, and was re-elected by a majority which again attested his popularity. Colonel Clark was married to Miss Hattie DeArmond, only daughter of Congressman DeArmond, in June, 1897, and their modest little cottage in the suburbs of the county seat is an ideal home. In politics the subject of this sketch is a democrat, and takes an active interest in public affairs, and his wide acquaintance, recognized ability and reputation as a public speaker have given him a prominence throughout the state attained by few men of his years. As a lawyer, his unswerving integrity and fidelity to the interests of his clients, together with his legal acumen and oratorical ability have given him a place in the front rank of his profession. As prosecuting attorney of the county he has been unusually successful and his record of convictions stands unsurpassed. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
CLARK, Harvey Cyrus
Harvey Cyrus Clark, lawyer and prosecuting attorney of Bates County, is a descendant of one of the most prominent families of English ancestry residing in New Jersey in Colonial times. Abraham Clark, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, was a descendant of the first of the family to settle in the Colonies, and a distinguished patriot of New Jersey. The first of the family of whom there is extant any authentic record, was Joseph Clark. He settled in South Carolina, and some of the subsequent generations located in Kentucky. One of his sons, James Clark, was the father of James C. Clark, whose son, James Harvey Clark, was the paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch. James Harvey Clark, a native of Kentucky, practiced medicine in that State for many years. He was a veteran of the Mexican War, and served as captain in a Confederate regiment raised in Kentucky during the Civil War. His son, James Cyrus Clark, was born in Kentucky, and in young manhood, removed to Otterville, Cooper County, Missouri. There he married Melissa M. Myers. Their son, the subject of this sketch, was born in Cooper County September 17, 1869. When he was two months of age his parents removed to Butler, where his father immediately engaged in mercantile pursuits. The elder Clark was one of the early pioneers of Butler, the village numbering, at that time, not more than a dozen small frame houses. In 1875 he was elected sheriff of the county as the candidate of the Democratic party, whose principles he has always endorsed. In this office he served two terms. In 1880 he was elected cashier of the Bates County Bank, and is still the incumbent of that position. The career of General Harvey C. Clark has been a most noteworthy one, considering his age. Few men of his years rise so rapidly to positions of trust and responsibility, stand so high in the esteem of the public, or wield so potential an influence as he. As a boy he attended the public schools of Butler, and Butler Academy, from which he was graduated in the class of 1887. In the fall of that year he entered Wentworth Male Academy at Lexington, Missouri, from which he was graduated in 1889. The two following years were spent as a student in Scarritt College, at Neosho, Missouri, which granted him a diploma in 1891. Soon after the conclusion of his college course he entered the law office of Honorable David A. DeArmond, of Butler, and in June, 1893, was admitted to the bar before Judge Lay, of the Twenty-ninth Judicial Circuit. The Honorable W.W. Graves, of the circuit court, at that time a practicing attorney of Butler, immediately offered him a partnership, upon which he entered, sustaining this relation until the elevation of the senior member of the firm to the bench, on January 1, 1899. Since that date General Clark has been engaged in professional practice in partnership with J.S. Francisco. In 1896, as the candidate of the Democratic party, he was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of Bates County. So satisfactory were his services to the public that he was renominated and re-elected in 1898, being the recipient of a large number of votes from the ranks of the Republican party. He is now (1900) closing his second term of office. General Clark is a Royal Arch Mason, and is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. But it is in military affairs that he has risen to a position of the greatest distinction. In 1888, while yet under age, he organized Company B of the Second Regiment, Missouri National Guard, stationed at Butler, and was elected without opposition, to the Captaincy. In this position he served continuously until June, 1897. During his incumbency he was twice elected lieutenant colonel of the Second Regiment, but refused to accept the office, preferring to remain as an officer in the company he had organized. In June, 1897, he resigned the captaincy of Company B to accept an appointment as major and quartermaster on the staff of Brigadier General Milton Moore. Upon the outbreak of the Spanish War, in 1898, Governor Stephens requested him to raise and organize the command which became known as the Sixth Missouri Volunteer Regiment of Infantry. This he did at once, and was commissioned lieutenant colonel of the regiment, filling that position during practically all of its service in the war. The command formed a part of General Fitzhugh Lee's Army Corps, and was the only Missouri regiment which reached Cuba. During this service of about a year he displayed rare military ability; and in recognition of his services and his skill as an organizer and commander, in February, 1899, Governor Stephens appointed him brigadier general of the Missouri National Guard, thus placing him in command of the entire military organization of the State. Since that time he has effected a complete reorganization of the National Guard, placing it on a firmer and more satisfactory basis than has ever before obtained. He is probably the youngest man ever assigned to the highest position of command of the military establishment of any State in the Union. General Clark was married June 30, 1897, to Harriet DeArmond, daughter of Judge David A. DeArmond, of Butler, now (1900) Representative in Congress from the Sixth District. (Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901)
J.C. Clark was born in Christian County, Kentucky, February 28th, 1843. He comes of that hardy pioneer stock whose rugged honesty, mental stamina and strength of character has made firm the foundation of the matchless citizenship of the West. His father, Dr. J.H. Clark, a physician of the old school and one of the most respected and influential citizens of his state, early moved with his family to the West, and became one of the first settlers of Southern Illinois, building his log house in Christian county, then an uninhabited wilderness. There and in Texas the subject of this sketch spent his boyhood upon the farm, enduring the hardships and encountering the difficulties common to his time and situation. He came to Missouri in his early twenties, and in 1868 was married to Miss Mallissa Myers, of Ottersville, in Cooper county, where he was then living. Early in the winter of 1869 he came to Bates county and settled at Butler, then a mere hamlet. With no capital save scrupulous honesty, industry, sincerity and integrity which have characterized his whole life, he cast his lot here, and soon won that esteem and popularity which he has retained to this day. In 1876 he was elected Sheriff of the county by a sweeping majority. His administration was a popular one, and at the end of his first term he was re-elected for a second term by an increased majority. While serving his second term he was appointed Collector. At the close of his term in that office he was tendered the cashiership of the Bates County National, (now the Bates County) Bank, which position he is still filling. This will be his twentieth year in this important position of trust and responsibility, and the steady growth and increasing strength and patronage of that institution with which he has so long been identified, is a monument to his integrity, character and financial ability. He has two sons, Harvey C., present Prosecuting Attorney of the county, and Claud L., assistant Attorney General of the state, who lives in Jefferson City. In politics, like his father and grandfather before him, he is a democrat, and has always been prominent in party affairs. His universal popularity among the masses of the people has always been great. Perhaps no man who has ever lived in the county has known so many of its people by name, and withal has had the friendship and esteem of all of them as has the subject of this sketch. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
CLARK, James J.
West Point Township - James J. Clark, one of the oldest settlers of Bates County, was born in Hart County, Kentucky, about the year 1825, his parents being Moses and Mary Clark. James is the youngest of three children. His mother died while he was quite young, and he was left in the care of a Mr. Self, who proved so hard a master that when only ten or twelve years of age he ran away and came to Jackson County, Missouri, in company with a man named Fitchen. When about seventeen he drove a team on a trading expedition to Mexico. In 1846, he volunteered as a soldier for the Mexican War, but not being accepted he went with a trading train into Mexico. He made two trips to California, one in 1849, and again in 1853. January 24, 1858, Mr. Clark married Miss Elizabeth M. Lemar, a native of Tennessee, but who was reared in Clay County, and daughter of William Lemar, of Mulberry. They have eight children: William W., Charles Marion, Tabitha Rosamon, Thomas Jackson, Elizabeth Alice, Eva A., Althie Artie and Arthur. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CLINE, Eli J.
The subject of this sketch disclaims any pretense as an old settler. He was born in the north part of Vernon County, March 23, 1880, and moved with his parents to Rich Hill in 1886, where they resided till 1897. Here he got his education and learned the printers art. In 1897, his father, H. Cline, purchased the Foster Beacon plant, and it was published under the name of H. Cline & Son for two years; then the plant was removed to Amoret and the paper is continued as the Amoret Beacon with Eli as editor. He is the youngest editor in the county and probably in the state. H. Cline is the publisher of the Beacon but has little to do with conducting the paper. He came to Bates County in 1876, moved to Vernon and returned to Bates in 1886. He was born in Scotland County, Mo., in 1850 and was married to Judy E. Drake in 1869. Five children are now living - three at home and two married daughters in Terre Haute, Ind. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
CLOUD, Daniel W.
Spruce Township - Daniel W. Cloud was born in Logan County, Kentucky, on the 23rd of April, 1834, and is the fifth of ten children, all of whom are living. The family is widely separated, three sisters and one half brother living in Kentucky, two brothers in Arkansas and two brothers and one sister in Texas. His parents, John and Catherine (Rutherford) Cloud, were natives of Kentucky, and the latter still resides in Logan County. In 1852 Daniel W. came to Missouri and remained two years in Lafayette County, going in 1854 to Perry County, Illinois. On April 23, 1856, he was married in Logan County, Kentucky, to Miss Catherine Hickman, of that county. In the following fall he returned to Illinois and lived there two years, and in October, 1858, he came to Bates County and settled in Spruce Township. At the outbreak of the war Mr. Cloud enlisted in the Sixteenth Missouri in Parson's Brigade, and was in all the actions in which his brigade took part, being slightly wounded at Lone Jack. At Okolona, Arkansas, March 15, 1863, he was taken prisoner, and until near the close of the war was kept as such, being confined at Camden, Little Rock and Rock Island, from which place he was taken to New Orleans for exchange. He was exchanged at the mouth of Red River shortly before the surrender at Shreveport. Mrs. Cloud died August 7, 1880, leaving four children: Powantonimo, "Tonnie" now in Colorado; John J., Alanson J. and Elveretta. He was again married, December 22, 1881, to his present wife, then Mrs. Elizabeth Owen, widow of John Owen, who was killed at Lone Jack. She had two children by a former marriage, Edwin J., and Jane (wife of John Cantrell, of Grand River). Mr. Cloud and wife have one child, a boy. The former is a member of the Christian Church and also belongs to the Masonic order. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - Kinsey Coates, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Adair County, Kentucky, November 1, 1826, and was the son of Charles and Nancy (Royce) Coates, and the sixth of eleven children, seven sons and four daughters. His father was a native of Virginia, and settled in Kentucky with other early pioneers, where he married, his wife being a Kentuckian by birth. He took an active part in the war of 1812, serving in General Jackson's memorable campaign. When Kinsey had arrived at manhood he worked out by the year until he was twenty-three years of age, when, on October 8, 1848, he was married to Miss Elizabeth M. Edmons, originally from Tennessee. He then engaged in farming in Kentucky, where he lived until 1859, going in that year to Texas, where he followed agricultural pursuits until the close of the rebellion. In 1865, he returned north and settled in Bates County. He lives on section 20, and has a finely improved farm of eighty acres. He is identified with the Princeton Baptist Church, and is a member of Crescent Hill Lodge of Masons. Mrs. Coates died January 20, 1881, after they had lived together thirty-three years. They have had eleven children, of whom three, John R. and two infants, are deceased. Those living are Zarelda, Angeline, Nancy, Frances M., Mary A., Charles, and William B. and Sarah P., who are twins. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
COLE, Judge C.D.
Walnut Township - Judge C.D. Cole, section 11, owes his nativity to Cooper County, Missouri, where he was born in 1834. He was the fifth child of Samuel and Sally (Brisco) Cole, the former a Virginian by birth, who with his parents moved to Kentucky in an early day. In 1806 he went to Cooper County, Missouri, where he has since resided, now being eighty-six years of age. He has lived on the same farm since 1812. His wife, who came originally from Kentucky, died in 1855, in the forty-seventh year of her age. C.D. Cole grew to manhood in the county of his birth, and was married there in 1855 to Miss Margaret Schutler, a native of Virginia, born in 1835, and a daughter of Jacob G. and Mary Schutler. She came to Missouri in 1837 with her parents, and located in Cooper County, where she was reared and educated. After his marriage Mr. Cole settled in Moniteau County, where he lived until the breaking out of the war. Returning to Cooper County he stayed there until 1868, then coming to Bates County, where he took up his location near where he now resides. He and his wife have eight children: Ellenora, Mary, William, Fannie, Rector, James, Margaret and Ned. Mr. Cole has always been a staunch Democrat, and in 1876 he was elected county judge of the southern district, and in 1878 was elected presiding judge of Bates. He now has served nearly six years to the entire satisfaction of the people. During the years 1853-54 he was a resident of California. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - S.B. Cole, of the firm Cole & Wilson, dealers in agriculture implements and grain, was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, October 31, 1842, his parents being natives of Connecticut. Their names were Jonathan and Lydia A. (Baker) Cole. S.B. Cole received the advantage of a common school education in his native county, and there carried on farming till August, 1861, when he enlisted in Company B First Ohio Light Artillery. He remained in service three years and one month, after which he returned to Ohio, residing in Lake County till February, 1867. Coming to Missouri, he followed farming in Caldwell County till February, 1870, then moved to Vernon County, and continued his former occupation about one year. From that time he was engaged as traveling salesmen for different agricultural firms till he located in Rich Hill, in February, 1882. Mr. Cole was married in January, 1869, to Miss Nellie St. George, a native of Racine, Wisconsin. She died in Vernon County, Missouri, September 27, 1870, leaving one child, Maude L. Mr. C. is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity and of the Grand Army of the Republic. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
COMPTON, John M.
Deepwater Township - John M. Compton was born in Howard County, Missouri, April 30, 1833. His father, Thomas S. Compton, a native of Tennessee, married Miss Mary Stapp, who came originally from Kentucky. They former moved to Missouri with his parents when a small boy, and located in Howard County, being among the early pioneers of the state. John M. accompanied the family from Howard to Johnson County, in 1841. He spent his youth on a farm, and acquired his education mostly through his own efforts. In 1854 he came to Bates County, where his father entered land which they improved, and where the senior Compton died in 1861. The subject of this sketch was married here in October, 1860, to Miss A.E. Hedrick, a daughter of William Hedrick. She is a native of Indiana, and was born in Lawrence County. After his marriage Mr. C. located on the old homestead, where he now has 150 acres of land, 120 acres in his home place being fenced, with a fair house and improvements, and a good orchard of 100 young bearing apple and some peach and cherry trees. He served about one year in the enrolled militia during the late war, and was in the Sixtieth Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Mr. and Mrs. Compton have five children: Orvil W., James W., W.E., Mary E., and Clay S. Mrs. C. and Mr. Compton's mother are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CONCKLIN, Charles S.
Mound Township - Charles S. Concklin was born in Marion County, Ohio, October 14, 1841, and was the son of Washington W. and Sophia (Sweester) Concklin, both of whom were natives of New York. The Concklin family is one among the first families of New York, and we find it traced in an unbroken line to the days of the Knickerbockers. The first account of the name in this country is about the time that the New Netherlands passed from the hands of the Dutch Governors to those of the Duke of York, that three brothers named Concklin came from England, and one of them, Nicholas, settled at Southold, Long Island, but removed to East Chester where his son, Joshua, was born October 2, 1707. His son, Isaac, settled at Kakiat, New York, where he died in 1814, and at Kakiat the family has since resided. Isaac's son, also Isaac, was born April 18, 1772. He is the father of Washington W. Concklin, who is the father of the subject of this sketch. Washington W. married Sophia Sweester, at Delaware, Ohio, and now lives at Marion, Ohio. He is aged eighty-three years, and she seventy-one. She had been a teacher in the public schools of Ohio, and it is to her that Rutherford B. Hayes owes much of his success in life. She it was who first gave him instruction, and at her knee he learned his first lessons and received from her the right start in life. There is something remarkable in regard to the longevity of the Concklin family. We find by reference to dates, that of six of his ancestors, the average age at death was over eighty years. Mr. and Mrs. C. have seven children, two of whom, Charles S. and Isaac, live in Bates County. Charles S. was reared in the town of Marion, and his younger days were employed mainly in attending school. When of suitable age he was sent to Oberlin College, where he attended some eighteen months. After this he went to the farm and continued agricultural pursuits in Ohio until about 1865, when in company with his brother he came to Missouri and purchased a large tract of about 4,000 acres of land in Bates County. Here he has since resided. In 1870, he settled on his present farm, in Mound Township. Mr. Concklin is one of the principal farmers of the county, and raises extensive crops of wheat, corn, flax, etc. He has paid some attention to sheep growing, and handles a fine flock of Merinos. He is also making an effort to introduce the Jersey grade of cattle into this section, and has on hand a couple of fine specimens of that justly famous milk stock. He was married July 2, 1870, to Miss Laura Meddey, daughter of Charles Meddey. They have two children: Elizabeth B., born March 13, 1873, and Washington W., born December 17, 1875. Mr. Concklin is an energetic business man, and holds advanced views in regard to matters of legislation, education, etc. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
COOK & BROTHERS
Rockville Township - Cook & Brothers are large dealers in general merchandise at Rockville. The firm is composed of three enterprising young business men, and was organized November 1, 1881. They carry the largest stock of goods and do the most extensive business of any firm in the town. The members of the concern are William W., James L., and David L. Cook. Their parents were James and Catherine (Leeson) Cook, the former a native of Scotland and the latter born in New Jersey. William, the eldest of the brothers, is the third of the family, and was born in Lafayette County, Wisconsin, March 7, 1857; James L. was born at the same place January 21, 1859; while David L., the youngest, was born in Kaufman County, Texas, December 23, 1860. When the eldest child was but two years old the family removed to Texas, where they remained until 1864, returning to Pettis County, Missouri; here the brothers all received their education in the schools of Smithson and Sedalia. When William was eighteen years old he began to teach school and taught until 1880, when he entered the store at Rockville, then the firm of Cook & Son. James L. entered the store of his brother at Smithson when he was eighteen, and has been in a store ever since. David also clerked at Smithson for some time prior to coming to Rockville. William Cook is the postmaster here, having been appointed October 11, 1880. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
COOK, James F.
East Boone Township - James F. Cook, farmer and civil engineer, was born October 16, 1829, in Washington City. His parents were John A. Cook and Frances F., nee Owens. The former of a Maryland family, and the latter of Pennsylvanian parentage. James F. is the eldest of three children, the others being Stephen J. Cook, and Mary A. Fairfax. He was educated at the Alexandria Boarding School, where he received a course in civil engineering, and until 1870, he dovoted most of his time to his profession, his work being mainly in Missouri. He probably made the first survey in Iowa for a railroad. When the war broke out he was in Virginia, where he enlisted in the Black Horse Cavalry, under J.B. Stewart. He was also under Stonewall Jackson, and was at the battle of Antietam, and at the Federal retreat fro Rappahannock. On October 11, 1863, he suffered the loss of his right leg. But after this he continued in the service until the close of the war. In 1872, Mr. Cook came to Bates County, Missouri, settled in Boone Township where he engaged in farming. He has for several years made a specialty of sheep raising. He was married September 5, 1865, in Warren County, Virginia, to Miss Lucy C. Henry, who died July 31, 1870, leaving one child, Edgar Price. Two years later, March 30, 1872, Mr. Cook married his present wife, Miss Arphelia E. Henry, a sister of his first wife. They have three children: Lucy Caroline, Fannie Owen and an infant. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
COOK, William W.
Mt. Pleasant Township - William W. Cook was born in Morgan County, Illinois, July 3, 1843, and was brought up as a farmer's boy, receiving his education from the schools of his native county. In 1862, he enlisted in Company I, 101st Illinois Regiment, with which he served until the close of the war. Returning to Illinois in 1865, he resumed agricultural pursuits, and in 1868, he came to Austin, Missouri. After residing there for about nine months he located at Harrisonville, and for two years served most faithfully as deputy county collector. During the following year he served as deputy circuit clerk, and was then appointed deputy county clerk, the duties of which position he discharged for three years. In 1874, he was elected clerk of Cass County, and had charge of that office for four years. In 1878, he embarked in the lumber business, under the firm name of Cook & Wheeler, which partnership existed until June, 1880, when they sold out to R.J. Hurley & Co. There Mr. C. remained one year, at the expiration of that time accepting his present position as book keeper with R.J. Hurley, which necessitated a change of residence to Butler. December 20, 1866, Mr. Cook was united in marriage with Miss Mary L. Simms, a native of Virginia. He is a prominent member of both the I.O.O.F. and Masonic fraternities. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - J.A. Coulter, dealer in lumber, at Hume, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and is the son of John and Ann Coulter, natives of Ireland, who immigrated to America in 1823. The father died while in Illinois, but the mother is still living in that state. While young J.A. accompanied his parents to Pike County, Illinois, where he grew up and received his education. He began life as a farmer and stock raiser, and continued this occupation until November 6, 1880, when he located in Hume. He now owns a farm of 160 acres of well watered land, and is also engaged in the raising of sheep. In 1865, Mr. Coulter married Miss Mary F. Jones, originally from Pike County, Illinois. They have a family of four children: Elbert, Edwin, Edgar and Clara M. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
COWAN, Judge S.S.
Charlotte Township - Judge S.S. Cowan, farmer and carpenter by trade, section 29, was born in 1843, in Springfield, Clark County, Ohio, and was a son of William and Jane (Stewart) Cowan, also originally from that county. The former was born in 1811 and died in 1852, and the latter, who was born in 1816, died in 1862. Young Cowan was principally brought up by his grandfather, David Cowan, who had settled in Clark County in 1808. In 1862 S.S. enlisted in Company A, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until 1864, being mustered out at Buffalo, New York, in that year. He returned to Ohio and in 1870 came to Butler, Bates County, and worked at his trade until 1871, when he returned to Ohio. In 1873 he married Miss Rachel E. Waddle, who was born in Ohio County, Virginia in 1847. Her parents were William and Eliza Waddle nee McMeacham; her father, a Virginian by birth and her mother, a native of Ohio. After his marriage Mr. C. located where he now resides, his farm containing 120 acres of well improved and watered land. He served for about four years as judge of the Bates County Court, with much credit to himself. The judge and his wife have three children: Mary A., Laura J. and Anna M. They are both members of the United Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
COWLES, Manning S.
Osage Township - Manning S. Cowles was born December 22, 1837, in North Newbury, Geauga County, Ohio, and is the second of four children, born to his parents. His family is of Welsh extraction, a paternal ancestor having emigrated to and settled in Connecticut, early in the history of that colony. His grandfather, Asa Cowles, Sr., was born in Connecticut, whence he emigrated to Geauga County, Ohio, traveling by means of ox-teams along the lake shore, when the country between Buffalo, New York and Cleveland, Ohio, was an unbroken forest. He settled on a large tract of land and built a commodious log house, which became a stopping place for emigrants seeking homes in the west. He afterwards became a judge of the County Court of Geauga County, and was a leading farmer and citizen until his death. His father, Asa Cowles, Jr., moved to Ohio with his parents when but three years old. He remained with his father until manhood, and engaged in mercantile pursuits in Geauga County until 1841, when he embarked in the business of hotel keeping. In 1850 he emigrated to Wisconsin, where he pursued the business of farming and lumbering. In 1866 he went to Butler, Bates County, Missouri, where he resided till his death, which occurred in 1872. His mother, Sophia Kellogg, a daughter of Cotton Kellogg, formerly of Connecticut, was a lady of high religious principles, which she sought to instill into her children. She died in 1845, aged thirty-two years. M.S. Cowles was educated in the common schools of Ohio and Wisconsin, with an occasional session in the Academy of Geauga County. In 1859, in Wisconsin, he entered a house of general merchandise as clerk, reserving for himself the right to ship apples and cheese to the pineries in Wisconsin. In 1861 he enlisted in the Third Wisconsin Battery as a private, and joined the Army of the Cumberland. He took part in the different campaigns of that army, and participated in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, and other minor engagements. In 1864 he was detailed as acting quartermaster, a position he held until the expiration of his term of enlistment. After being mustered out of service, he attended the commercial college of H.G. Eastman, at Poughkeepsie, New York, and was graduated in the fall of 1865. Soon after, he removed to Kansas City, Missouri, and became one of the firm of Fisk, Slater & Cowles, wholesale and retail boot and shoe dealers. At the end of four months he severed his connection with the firm and moved to Butler, Bates County, where he engaged with a capital of $1,000 in general mercantile business. In the following year his father became associated with him, forming the firm of M.S. Cowles & Co. This partnership was dissolved by the death of his father, which occurred, as above stated, in 1872, since which time he has conducted the business alone. Mr. Cowles attributes his success in Butler to the shrewdness and good judgment of his father, who was not only a good business man, but was genial, kind hearted and highly esteemed by all who knew him. In 1876 he established a branch store at Hartford, Kansas, which is doing a large and paying business. In 1880 he moved to the new town of Rich Hill, Bates County, still operating his business in Butler, and became one of the founders of that wonderful city, and soon assisted in the organization of a commercial company, of which he is president, with a paid up capital of $75,000. He is also a stockholder and is the treasurer of the Rich Hill Coal Mining Company. He is also a dealer in real estate, and is largely interested in Butler and Rich Hill property. He was one of the original stockholders and directors, and for one year cashier of the Bates County Savings Bank, which built up a fine banking house, and after a few years sold out to the Bates County National Bank. He was instrumental in building the Butler Woolen Mills, and also the Butler Academy. He is a man of great liberality, and has contributed largely to every public enterprise for the improvement of Butler, Rich Hill and Bates County. In politics he is a Republican, but looks more to the fitness of the candidate than to his party affiliations. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. He is also an Odd Fellow. April 6, 1869, he married Miss Maggie Louisa McKibben, daughter of John C. and Eliza J. (McCune) McKibben, of Butler, formerly of Pittsfield, Illinois. He has had by this marriage three children, two of whom are now living. Mrs. Cowles died February 17, 1878. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - S.P. Cox, merchant, Adrian, was born in Grundy County, Illinois, November 7, 1857. His father, Arthur Cox, was a native of Nova Scotia, and was a blacksmith by occupation. His mother, formerly Lucinda Misner, came originally from Indiana. S.P. attended the common schools, and lived with his father in Illinois until 1867, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, engaging in farming. This he followed until September, 1880, when he located at Adrian and embarked in the grocery business, which he conducted until September, 1881. Selling out he became occupied in the stock shipping business. He is now erecting two large brick business houses in Adrian. Mr. Cox is one of the most enterprising young business men in the county, and is one of the founders of Adrian. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - Edward Crabb, farmer, section 12, came originally from Tazewell County, Illinois, where he was born December 26, 1846. His parents, Daniel and Margaret (Baity) Crabb, were the old pioneers of that county, having been the third family to settle there. They reared seven children, of whom Edward was the third. He grew up in the county of his birth and in December, 1869, emigrated to Cass County, Missouri, where he was engaged in farming and stock raising. After a two years' residence there he removed to Bates County, settling on his present place in 1877. He has a finely improved farm of 640 acres fo land and one of the best residences in the township. Mr. Crabb was married January 30, 1870, to Miss Mariah Thomas who was from Illinois. They have had three children: Lillie, James R. and Daniel. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CRABB, John M.
Osage Township - John M. Crabb, farmer, section 13, is a native of Tazewell County, Illinois, and was born November 29, 1851. In 1861 he removed to Logan County, Illinois, there being reared to manhood and educated, following farming as his avocation. In 1873 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and settled where he now resides. He has a farm of 240 acres that will compare favorable with any in the county, all of which is under fence. Mr. Crabb's marriage occurred November 25, 1874, to Miss Josephine Leona. The family consists of three children: Winona, Willis and Leonena. Mr. C. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CRABTREE, William J.
Spruce Township - William J. Crabtree was born in Christian County, Kentucky, January 21, 1863. Emsley Crabtree, his father, was a native of North Carolina, but was raised and married in Kentucky, to Miss Elizabeth Pyle, she being a daughter of Dr. William Pyle, of Tory notoriety in the war of the Revolution. William J. grew to manhood in his native county, where his youth was spent on a farm. He received a common school education. He was married in Christian County to Miss Isabella Hall, a daughter of Andrew Hall. She is a Virginian by birth, but was brought up and educated in Kentucky. Mr. Crabtree continued to farm in Kentucky for about ten years, and in the fall of 1857 he moved to Missouri, and located in Polk County, where he engaged in the hotel business at Bolivar. Going upon a farm, he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1865, when he went to Illinois, locating in Sangamon County. Here he remained two years, and in the fall of 1867 he came to Bates County, bought land and improved his present farm. He has 104 acres, with eighty-four acres fenced and fairly improved. He resides on section 33. In his political preferences he is a Democrat, and has been elected and re-elected township assessor four times in succession. Mr. and Mrs. Crabtree have six children: Mary C., now the widow of William Black Thomas, Lue Ann, now Mrs. John Etter; Sallie A., Dora and John W. Mr. and Mrs. C. are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The former belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the I.O.O.F., and is a member of the Masonic Mutual Benefit Association. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CRAIG, John S.
Osage Township - John S. Craig, of the firm of Craig & Greenhalge, proprietors of saw mill and brickyards was born in Carroll County, Kentucky, on March 21st, 1846. When in his eighth year he was taken by the family to Arkansas, which was their home for six years. Then he removed to Cooper County, Missouri, and here passed his time upon a farm until 1870, when he came to Bates County, embarking in agricultural pursuits and the raising of stock. In November, 1881, in company with his partner, Mr. Craig erected the saw mill which they now operate. They own 1,800 acres of land in this county, and are extensive and successful cattle dealers. They are owners of the brickyard east of the Gulf rouond house, and lastly are interested in the large grocery establishment of J.S. Craig & Co. Mr. C. is a representative citizen of this vicinity and a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married February 15, 1872, to Miss Missouri A. Davis, a native of Missouri. They have two children; Lillie and Charles L. He is serving Osage Township as its township clerk and assessor. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - B.R. Crawford, farmer and dealer in musical instruments, Altona, is next to the youngest of seven children and is a native of Bates County, Missouri, born October 7, 1858. His wife, formerly Miss Mary C. Wagoner is the daughter of Henry Wagoner, and was born in the Empire state. They were married May 7, 1876, and have three children: Rush Wagoner, Earl Raymond and William Henry. William Crawford, the father of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania and married Eliza Peace, a native of Kentucky. They subsequently settled on a farm in Bates County upon which B.R. employed his early days. His education was such as he received in the country schools of the county. He remained at home until his father's death which occurred in 1875. He then had charge of the entire farm and now owns a portion of it. In 1876 he became engaged in selling musical instruments and recently has devoted much attention to the business, and is having a good trade, especially with the W.W. Kimball organ, of which he sells a large number each year. Mr. and Mrs. Crawford are identified with the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - F.M. Crumly, dealer in drugs, etc., is the son of H.E. and Mary (Hackney) Crumly, who were natives of East Tennessee, and was born in Blount County of that state September 11, 1848. In 1850 his parents moved to Jefferson County, Iowa, and after a residence of six years there returned to his native county. After a short period of time they again located in Iowa in 1857. F.M. was there reared and educated. When he was nineteen years of age he went to Xenia, Kansas, and in 1872 he came to Butler where he has since resided. He was for some time engaged in different clerkships, and for a while was in the county and circuit clerks' offices. In 1879 he embarked in the grocery business, afterwards adding a stock of drugs and at present he is exclusively interested in the drug trade, having one of the leading stores of Butler, and the proprietor is one of the prominent citizens of the town. Mr. Crumly was married June 9, 1871, to Miss Fannie E. Haskins, a daughter of B.S. and Mary (Beavers) Haskins. She was born in Bates County, Missouri, May 1, 1853. They have had three children, two of whom are now living, Orville H. and Oscar. Mr. C. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Jerry Culbertson, lawyer and prosecuting attorney of Cass County, is descended from a prominent family of the Old Dominion. He was born at Papinsville, Bates Couny, Missouri, September 12, 1869, son of Livingston and Mary E. (Douglas) Culbertson. His father was born in Scott County, Virginia, and removed to Missouri in 1866, becoming a pioneer farmer and merchant of Bates County, and the founder of the town of Rich Hill, which he named and in which he established the first store. The elder Culbertson was a son of David Culbertson, a native of Virginia, and a member of the legislature of that State in 1838. The latter, a native of Virginia and a descendant of Scotch ancestry, was a member of the family from which the famous Culbertson family of Texas is descended. Mary E. Douglas, our subject's mother, was a daughter of Colonel George Douglas, and a descendant of the "Red Douglases", her grandfather having been born and raised in the Grampion Hills, the boundary between England and Scotland. She died April 4, 1872. Her father, who was born either in the old country or on the ocean while his parents were en route to America, spent his boyhood in Wheeling, Virginia (now West Virginia), and at the age of sixteen joined the regular army of the United States to fight Indians. Before his marriage he came to Missouri, where he continued his service with the United States Army, rising to the rank of colonel. While in the government service he helped to locate the Cherokee Indians at their present reservation in Indian Territory. After leaving the army he became a planter in Bates County, Missouri, and his estate included about a hundred slaves. Mrs. Culbertson also had two brothers who served in the Confederate Army. One of these, George W. Douglas, Jr., was with Price to the end of the war, surrendering at Shreveport, Louisiana. The other brother, Henry W. Douglas, served with Shelby throughout his campaigns. Livingston Culbertson was also in the Confederate service, and a quartermaster in the command of Stonewall Jackson. In 1864 he left the Confederate service and located in Omaha, where he was one of the pioneer merchants, and among his friends there were many men who were and have become eminent in public life. In 1866 he removed to Bates County, Missouri, where he has since resided. Jerry Culbertson received his elementary education in the common schools of Bates County, and at the age of eighteen years entered St. Francis Institute (Catholic), at Osage Mission, Kansas. A year later he took a course in Bryant College, at Sprague, Bates County, Missouri, after which he was for a year principal of the graded school at College Hill, in the same county. After a year's course in the State University he taught one year at Old Rich Hill, then took another year in special studies in the State University, devoting his time chiefly to literature, economics and meta-physics. He then entered the law department of the university, and, after a two-year's course, was graduated from there, June 3, 1896. Four days later he was admitted to the bar before Judge James H. Lay, and at once opened an office at Rich Hill. September 23, 1897, he leased an office in Harrisonville, where he has since practiced his profession. At Rich Hill, Mr. Culbertson organized a company of infantry and tendered its services to the Governor for the Sixth Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment, recruited for the Spanish-American War, but as Missouri's quota had already been filled, the command was not accepted. In the Fortieth General Assembly he served as senatorial revision clerk from the Seventeenth Senatorial District. Mr. Culbertson's entree into politics occurred in 1896, when his name was presented to the Bates County Democracy as a candidate for the State Legislature, but as he was still a student in the State University, he made no canvass for the office. March 31, 1900, he received the nomination for prosecuting attorney of Cass County on the Democratic ticket, and at the general election, in November of that year, was chosen to the office. Fraternally he is a Mason, and is also identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the World, and the Modern Woodmen of America. In religion he professes no creed, but is guided by the Golden Rule, which he regards as the quintessence of all religion. The strength of character he inherits from a long line of honorable ancestry has enabled him to over come many obstacles which to most young men would appear insurmountable, and the success which he has achieved is due solely to his own efforts. As an orator he possesses rare ability. He is a young man of strict integrity, with a high sense of honor, and even those whose political views differ widely from those which he entertains, consider him incapable of a dishonest or unmanly act. That his career in his first public office will be successful and satisfactory to the public is anticipated by all, and his future political preferment depends solely upon his own wishes in the matter. February 20, 1901, Mr. Culbertson was married to Miss Josephine Parsons, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Parsons, of Harrisonville, Missouri, one of the pioneer families of that place. Miss Parsons, though only twenty-one years of age at the time of her marriage to Mr. Culbertson, was considered one of the most refined, accomplished, talented and popular girls in Cass County. She is especially gifted and cultivated in music, and delights in good books, but is also very fond of outdoor sports, like tennis, golf and horseback riding. For years she has taught a class in the Baptist Sabbath school, and is much more of a church girl than what is commonly known as a "society girl". She is devotedly ambitious for her husband. (Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901)
CUPPY, Thomas W.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Thomas W. Cuppy, farmer, section 1, is the owner of a farm consisting of one hundred and twenty acres of cultivated land with good improvements, which have been made by himself since 1867. He is a native of McLean County, Illinois, and was born in 1835, being a son of Thomas and Jemima (Ward) Cuppy. The former, a native of Clermont County, Ohio, was born in 1802, and with his parents moved to Wayne County, Indiana, where he grew to manhood and married. His wife was born in North Carolina in 1805, and early accompanied her parents to Wayne County, Indiana, where she was also raised. After their marriage, they remained in Indiana till 1832, then went to McLean County, Illinois, and lived on a farm until 1843, after which time they settled in Johnson County, Iowa. The following winter the mother died and the father survived till 1869. The subject of this sketch was educated in Johnson County, Iowa, and began life as a farmer. In 1860, in company with some friends, he went to Pike's Peak, and stayed there till the fall of 1864. Three years of that time were spent in the First Regiment Colorado Volunteer Cavalry. Upon being mustered out he returned to Johnson County, Iowa, and was married in 1865 to Miss Melvina G. Cuppy, a native of Wayne County, Indiana, born in 1835. Her parents were Abraham and Sarah (Collins) Cuppy. Her father was born in Clermont County, Ohio and her mother came originally from Kentucky, and with their parents they early moved to Wayne County, Indiana. The former died in 1846, aged thirty-six years. Mrs. Cuppy is still living at the age of seventy years. Thomas W. Cuppy continued to reside in Iowa till 1867, when he came to Missouri and settled where he now resides. He and his wife have one child, a son, William B., born in 1871. Their only daughter, Myrtle C., who was born in 1868, died in 1870. Mr. and Mrs. C. are church members. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
CURRY, John M.
Deer Creek Township - John M. Curry, stock dealer. The subject of this sketch was born July 7, 1853, in Bates County, Missouri, being the son of Richard Curry, a native of Indiana and one of the pioneers of Bates County. His mother's maiden name was Leah Gilmore, also of Indiana. John was the oldest of ten children, five sons and five daughters. He grew to manhood on the farm in Bates County, and was educated in our common schools. When twenty-one years of age he engaged in farming, and has followed this and dealing in stock ever since, except one year when he was in business in the town of Adrian. In 1881 he was elected constable and collector of Deer Creek Township. August 28, 1881, Mr. Curry married Miss Nora Misner, a daughter of William Misner. She was born in Missouri in August, 1851. They have one child, Clarence, born June 20, 1882. His mother's death occurred August 26, 1880. His father died in October, 1882. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)