Bates County Biographies
Lone Oak Township - John Daniel is among the early settlers of this county. He was born in Monroe County, Kentucky, July 9, 1826, and is therefore about fifty-six years of age. He was the son of Marmaduke and Elizabeth (Gibson) Daniel, both natives of Tennessee. John was the tenth of thirteen children, and is the only one now living. The family settled in Osage County, Missouri, about 1835. His parents died about 1844, and at that time all of the family were dead excepting himself, one brother Elisha, and two sisters. Those two sisters have died within the last five years; one in Osage County, the other in California. He and his brother settled in Bates County about 1855. Elisha was killed at his own door by a posse of men during the war. Mr. Daniel was married, August 1, 1843, in Osage County, to Miss Martha Crews, a native of Kentucky, but who came to Missouri about the same time as her husband. When the holocaust swept everything from Bates, Mr. D. took his family to Pettis County, where he lived until 1866, then returning to the ruins of his home. He has ever since devoted his time in attempting to regain his former easy circumstances. His farm consists of 200 acres of well improved and well stocked land, and he is considered to be one of the most successful farmers and business men in his neighborhood. His family has numbered eleven children: William, who died in 1864 at nineteen years of age; Leander, who married Miss Sallie Wovely, and is living in Double Branches; John, who married Miss Belle McCoy and lives near the state line; George married Harriet Marstellar and lives near his father; Isaac, at home; Marion, at home and conducting the farm; Sarah (wife of John Silvers), Mary (wife of James Smith), and Emma, Louisa and Evaline. Mr. Daniel and wife are active members of the Christian Church. In politics he is identified with the Democratic party. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DANIELS, Ralph W.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Ralph W. Daniels, of the firm of D. Dubach & Co., dealers in lumber and building material, is a native of Morgan County, Ohio, and was born April 12, 1857. While an infant he was taken by the family to Niagra County, New York, where he grew up and obtained his education. In 1875 he was employed as clerk by P.M. Ranney, at Lockport, New York, where he was engaged in the lumber trade until 1879, then removing to Kansas City, Missouri. After stopping at that point for six months he visited Hannibal, Missouri, and was with Dulany & McVeigh, lumber dealers, for about eight months; was then admitted as a member of that firm, and under the new partnership embarked in the lumber trade at Archie, Missouri, of which yard Mr. Daniels was manager. At the expiration of one year of business there he became connected with the present firm, as manager, at Butler. Their lumber yard is a large one, and contains a full stock necessary to the maintenance of such a business. Their patronage is constantly increasing. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DAVIDSON, Captain Isaac N.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Among the business men of Butler worthy of mention in the history of the county, is this gentleman, who is an extensive dealer in dry goods, notions, etc. He is a native of the Buckeye state, and was born in Madison County, May 10, 1837. His parents were William and Elizabeth (Day) Davidson. Isaac was reared and educated in Ohio, and when fourteen years of age began work at the carpenter's trade, which he continued to follow till the beginning of the war. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Seventeenth Ohio Infantry, remaining in thta company for four months. In July, 1862, he enlisted as first lieutenant in Company B, Ninety-fifth Ohio, for three years. December 9, 1864, he was commissioned to the office of captain, which he held till the close of the war, when he was mustered out at Columbus, Ohio, having participated in many important battles of the southwest. June 21, 1864, he was captured at Guntown, Mississippi, and held as prisoner till November 3, 1864, when he escaped. It may be mentioned here that the notorious guerrilla of West Virginia, Samuel B. Singleton, was killed by Mr. Davidson while the latter was on scout duty with a party of eight. After the close of the war he returned to Ohio, and was engaged in merchandising till 1868, when he came to Butler, importing with him over 300 sheep from Ohio, one of the great wool growing states of the Union. For two years after locating in Butler he was occupied at his trade, since which time he has devoted his attention to merchandising. Mr. Davidson was married October 24, 1865, to Miss Bell Cortwell, a native of the same county as himself. She was born January 4, 1841, and was a daughter of John C. and Sarah A. (Black) Cortwell, the former of Kentucky, and the latter of Virginia. The family of Mr. and Mrs. D. consists of two children: Lorena B. and Lou Eda. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mingo Township - W.R. Davis, section 20, was born in Bates County, Missouri, January 5, 1844. His father, Aaron Davis, was a native of Illinois, and his mother was a Kentuckian by birth. Her maiden name was Ann Ruby. When W.R. was five years old his parents removed to Henry County, Missouri, where he remained on a farm until 1862, then enlisting in Captain Spangler's company and Colonel Cockrell's regiment. He served with them until the close of the war, when he surrendered at Jackson, Mississippi. He was in some of the most important battles of the war, among which were those of Vicksburg and Corinth. At the battle of Corinth he was wounded and was taken to the hospital at LaGrange, Georgia, and Canton, Mississippi. After the close of hostilities, Mr. D. spent two years at Memphis, Tennessee, when he returned to Henry County, where he followed farming and stock raising until 1872. In that year he came again to the county of his birth. His farm now contains 280 acres of choice land, all in cultivation, and is well adapted for stock purposes. He is a successful stock raiser and dealer. Mr. Davis is a member of Altona Lodge No. 315, A.F. & A.M. January 15, 1868, he married Miss Mary Kinsey. She is a native of Henry County, Missouri, and was born April 4, 1837. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - R.R. Deacon, dealer in hardware, buggies, wagons, farm machinery and implements, was born in Canada, January 2, 1821. His youth and early manhood were passed in that country and his primary education was supplemented by attendance at the Oneida Institute, of Whitestown, New York, where he was a student during the years 1836, 1837, 1838 and 1839. In 1846 upon removing to Tiffin, Ohio, he embarked in the hardware business, which he continued at that point for one year. For two years he gave his attention to the same calling at Newark, Ohio, and for the succeeding two years was located in New York City. Upon going to Fon-du-lac, Wisconsin, he resumed the same business and for twenty-seven years he was prominently identified with the interests of that city. He then came to Butler, Missouri, and established himself in his present trade in November, 1880. This has since materially increased and he is now enjoying a liberal patronage. Mr. Deacon was married November 2, 1853, to Miss Harriet Cochran, also a native of Canada. They have six children: Daniel O., Julia, Robert, Hattie, Harry and Andrew. They are members of the Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DEARMOND, David A.
David A. DeArmond, who is fairly represented by the above cut, was born in Blair County, Pa., March 18, 1844. He was educated in the common and high schools of his county, and at Dickenson Seminary at Williamsport. He worked on a farm and taught school during the winters until 1869. He was admitted to the bar in Davenport, Iowa, in 1867. Located in Greenfield, Dade county, Mo., in 1869, and began the practice of his profession. In 1878 he was elected to the State Senate by a fusion of Democrats and Greenbackers, and served four years. He removed to Rich Hill, Bates county, in 1883, and about a year afterward came to Butler, where he has since resided. He was a Democratic elector in 1884 and voted for Grover Cleveland for President. In 1885 he was appointed a member of Missouri Supreme Court Commission, and served about a year. He was elected Circuit Judge of the 22nd Judicial Circuit, composed of Bates, Henry and St. Clair counties in 1886, and served about four years, when he resigned to take his seat in the 52nd congress to which he had been elected at the general election of 1890. He has since been re-elected to the 53rd, 54th, 33th and 36th Congresses of the United States. Recently he was a prominent candidate for leader of the minority in the lower house of congress but after a spirited contest was defeated. Congressman DeArmond has a commodious home in this city, and leads a quiet, home life when at home. He has a wife and four children, three sons and one daughter, who is the wife of Gen. H.C. Clark, present Prosecuting Attorney of Bates county. The people of Bates and the 6th congressional district take reasonable pride in the success which has characterized Judge DeArmond's career on the bench and in congress, and he possesses the confidence of all our people to a marked degree. Quiet, unobtrusive - even distant and reserved - in his relations with the people; yet he is a genial companion and a cordial friend to those who know him best. He is a careful, hard student, and in all his speeches and writings the confidence of scholarship and classical acquirements are everywhere shown. In private conversation and in public speech he is one of the most accurate talkers in the country. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Shawnee Township - Charles Decker, stone mason and farmer, is one of the best citizens of this township. He is a native of Germany, having been born in Baden, September 29, 1836. His father, Joseph Decker, was a stone cutter by trade. His mother's maiden name was Presket Kneblar. Both were natives of Baden. Charles received his education in Germany, and at an early age learned the trade of stone-cutting and stone masonry. At this he worked until 1854, when he emigrated to America and followed his trade until 1872, laboring for ten years in Philadelphia, and afterward at Charleston, New York, Milwaukee, Quincy and St. Joseph. In 1861 Mr. Decker enlisted in Company H, Tenth Missouri Infantry, and served until 1864. He participated in the battles of Corinth and at the siege of Vicksburg. Soon after the expiration of his term of service he was married, January 29, 1865, to Miss Mary A. Smith, a native of Canada. In 1872 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and has since been engaged in farming. His farm now contains 240 acres, well improved. Mr. Decker is as Catholic in religious belief. He and his wife have four children: Lewis, Carrol, Walter and Pauline. They have also lost two, Bertie and Joseph. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Shawnee Township - John Deerwester is a native of Germany, and was born in Wurtemburg, June 24, 1842. When about fifteen years of age he emigrated to America, and having been reared in and about a mill, he soon secured a good situation in a mill in Philadelphia, where he worked until 1860. Then he came to Bond County, Illinois, and continued milling until toward the close of the war, when he enlisted March 2, 1864, in the Third Illinois Cavalry, and served in Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi, until the close of hostilities. His regiment was then sent to Dakota, to quell the Indian troubles, where he was kept until October, 1865. After his enlistment, and previous to his departure, he was married March 4, 1864, to Miss Mahala Gunn, a native of Illinois. On his return from the war, Mr. Deerwester began to farm, and in 1868 located in Bates County. He has succeeded in acquiring a splendid farm on section 26 of this township, now consisting of 320 acres, well stocked and improved. He handles quite a number of cattle and hogs each year, and is making an effort to improve the quality of his stock. Mr. Deerwester is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is a Republican politically, and is religiously identified with the Reformed Lutheran Church. He has two children: Frank, now attending the Normal School at Warrensburg, and Alva. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DE JARNATT, William H.
East Boone Township - William H. De Jarnatt was born July 8, 1840, in Lincoln County, Missouri, where his parents had settled in an early day. He was the son of Greenop H. and Mary A. (Owen) De Jarnatt, natives of Kentucky. When William was about six years of age they returned from Lincoln County to Bourbon County, Kentucky, where he was reared to manhood. He received a good common school edcuation, and, in addition, attended the Gundy Commercial College at Cincinnati, from which institution he graduated in 1859. He was engaged in the mercantile business for two years in Kentucky, and February 21. 1861, he was married to Miss Mollie Raney, daughter of James Raney, who was born in Mercer County, Kentucky. Her father is now living with her, and for some time has been in a helpless condition, suffering from a stroke of paralysis. In 1876 Mr. De Jarnatt came to Bates County, purchasing the east half of section 12 in this township. He is now comfortably situated and devotes his attention to his farming operations. He and his wife have five children: James L., Bettie Lee, Mary Agnes, William W. and Joseph B. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DELUNG, William A.
Rockville Township - William A. DeLung, of the firm of DeLung Bros., druggists, was born in Montgomery County, Virginia, December 5, 1840, and was the eldest of a family of eight children. His parents were Henry A. and Nancy (Martin) DeLung, natives of the Old Dominion. William remained on his father's farm until the age of fourteen, and received a fair education in the schools of that county. Entering a store he clerked for several years, and in 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-sixth Virginia Infantry, and was with the regiment at the battle of Petersburg, May 14, 1864. After the war he followed farming for some time, and then was a peddler until 1877, when he went to Texas. While there he sold goods for two years, and subsequently came to Bates County, Missouri, and embarked in business in Rockville. Here he and his brother have a good store, and carry a complete stock of drugs, groceries, queensware, etc. Mr. DeLung is a member of the Baptist Church, and is identified with Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities. On the 5th of August, 1866, he was married to Miss Emma Wells, a Virginian by birth. They have an interesting family of five children: James P., Laura V., William A., Clara A. and Flora M. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DELUNG, William A.
Submitted by Lyndon Drew
William A. DeLung of the firm of DeLung Bros., druggists, was born in Montgomery County, Virginia, December 5, 1840, and was the eldest of a family of eight children. His parents were Henry A. and Nancy (Martin) DeLung, natives of the Old Dominion. William remained on his father's farm until the age of fourteen, and received a fair education in the schools of that county. Entering a store he clerked for several years, and in 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Thirty-sixth Virginia Infantry, and was with the regiment at the battle of Petersburg, May 14, 1864. After the war he followed farming for some time, and then was a peddler until 1877, when he went to Texas. While there he sold goods for two years, and subsequently came to Bates County, Missouri, and embarked in business in Rockville. Here he and his brother have a good store, and carry a complete stock of drugs, groceries, queensware, etc. Mr. DeLung is a member of the Baptist Church, and is identified with the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities. On the 5th of August, 1865, he was married to Miss Emma Wells, a Virginian by birth. They have an interesting family of five children: James P., Laura V., William A., Clara A. and Flora M. (History of Bates County, 1883)
DENTON, Chas. A.
Charles A. Denton was born in Adams County, Illinois, September 25, 1854. His father's name is E.P. Denton, a farmer of Hancock County, Illinois; his mother's maiden name was Jemima Whitney, and both were natives of Kentucky. Charles led the average uneventful life of a boy on a farm. He was educated at the Carthage Lutheran College, and the Industrial University at Champaign. He taught school for several terms. He read law with the firm of McCrary, Hagerman & McCrary at Keokuk, Iowa, and was admitted to the bar February 28, 1880, and began the practice of his profession at Keokuk, but shortly afterwards removed his family to Rich Hill, Mo. In 1888 he moved to Butler where he now resides, and is devoted to his professional duties, being the junior member of the firm of Smith & Denton, one of the strongest law firms in the city. He has a wife and two children, lives in a commodious home and enjoys the confidence and respect of the people. Politically Mr. Denton has always affiliated with the Republican party, and has been repeatedly honored by his party with important offices, and although defeated he has always run ahead of his ticket. In 1898 he was nominated for Judge of the 29th Judicial Circuit, and made a creditable race against overwhelming odds. He is a member of the Republican State Central Committee for this congressional district, and is in the way of political preferment. He is a clean, conservative man; and in his profession careful, faithful and successful. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
DEVER, David O.
Rockville Township - David O. Dever, real estate and transfer agent, was born in Seneca County, Ohio, May 4, 1834. His father was David Dever, a farmer by occupation and originally from the Virginia family of Devers. His mother was born in Ohio. Her maiden name was Nancy Shunkiviler. David was reared on a farm and his education was acquired in the public schools of the Buckeye state. When eighteen years old he entered a mercantile establishment at Monroe City, Ohio, where he remained one year. In 1854 he went in search of a fortune to California, and for eight years he labored to acquire that for which he sought. He tried mining for two years and then engaged in merchandising. In 1862 he returned to his native state and in the spring of 1864 he enlisted in Company C, Tenth Ohio Cavalry, and served until May, 1865, participating in the last campaigns of Kentucky and Tennessee. In 1865 he came to Missouri and located near Rockville, where he commenced farming and stock raising. In March, 1880, he removed to the town of Rockville and embarked in the real estate and transfer business. He is quite an extensive owner of real estate in and near this town. Mr. Dever is a man of intelligence and of considerable public spiritedness. He is a member of the M.E. Church and of the I.O.O.F. order. He has been township collector for three years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DEVINNY, Captain John A.
Capt. Devinny was born in Starke county, Ohio, and was educated in the common schools. In early life he learned the carpenter's trade and has followed that business until recent years. He left Ohio in 1856, went to Chicago, and remained there until the election was over, then started the next day for Missouri. In 1862 he was appointed sheriff by Gov. Gamble, and served until he was succeeded. He was elected treasurer in 1864 at Johnstown. In 1865 he was elected to the legislature to fill a vacancy, and served through one session at Jefferson City. He has served the people of Mt. Pleasant township two terms as collector, two as clerk and assessor, and in various other capacities efficiently and honestly. Coming to Bates county from Clinton, Henry county in the fall of 1857, he has resided here ever since, except for the time spent in service during the civil war. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
DICKEY, Augustus B.
Lone Oak Township - Augustus B. Dickey was born in Athens County, Ohio, June 4, 1825, his parents being James and Betsy G. (Brown) Dickey. The former was a native of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and the latter was born in New Hampshire. Augustus is the fourth of five children, four of whom are living. He received a good common school education, and when the call was made for soldiers during the war he organized Company I, of the Ninety-Second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and as captain left Camp Putnam, in August, 1862, and served under General Crooke, mainly in West Virginia and Tennessee. In August, 1863, he resigned his commission at Nashville on account of inability to perform duty, having suffered from a severe attack of inflammation of the liver. He has never entirely recovered from this disease. On his return to Ohio he engaged in merchandising at Albany and Harrisonville. He then entered the drug trade at which he continued for two years. He was also interested in shipping live stock and in the lumber trade. In 1871 he went to Europe and visited all the principal points of interest in England, Scotland, and the adjoining islands. He invested in a number of Clydesdale horses, Cotswold sheep and Berkshire hogs, which he imported and sold in Ohio. In 1874 Mr. Dickey came to Missouri and bought a large tract of land on the marias de Cygnes, in Lone Oak Township, where he has over 1,100 acres. He remained but two years, returning to Indiana in 1876, and for nearly three years travelled through the northwest in behalf of the Surgical Institute. He then accepted a situation with the proprietor of "Green's August Flower" to travel on the Pacific coast and in Colorado. In the spring of 1880 he came back to Bates County, and has since been improving his farm. His political views are Republican. He has been a member of the Masonic order for nearly thirty years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
The subject of this sketch was born fifty miels below Knoxville and sixty miles above Chattanooga in Meigs county, Tennessee, on teh south side of the Tennessee river, May 24, 1819. Her parents were Thomas Carter and Joanna Hiden, who married young, neither being 20 years of age. They went to work and built themselves a home and gained the love and respect of all who knew them. In 1833-34 the Missouri fever struck and her father resolved to leave his little home and go west. In 1837 he loaded his two wagons, put his wife and little children in, who were all girls except one little baby boy, and started. The wagons were drawn by two span of oxen and horses. They headed for Nashville, Tenn.; from there to Barker's ferry, the crossing of the Ohio river; thence to St. Louis, Mo.; thence to Boonville, and then to Pleasant Hill, Cass county, Mo. When they arrived her father took a claim of land in Cass county. In 1839, a man named Samuel Dobbins arrived from Gallatin, Tenn., and purchased a farm from Ann's father. About this time her father died after an illness of seven days. In November 1840, Samuel Dobbins and Ann were married. Improving the farm that Samuel had bought, they built a good home, but never having been surveyed, they sold their farm and in September 1842, bought land in Bates county, Mo. On April 13, 1843 Samuel and Ann located to their newly purchased land. Ten years to a day after moving to Bates county, Samuel Dobbins died. Ann was left a widow with six little children, John, Will, Sarah, Jane and little Sammie. By the time the civil war came, the children were grown and the family moved out of Bates county and stayed for five years. Then they returned, built up their home, located two and a half miles east of Mound City, Kansas and there they remain. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
DOOLEY, Silas Wright
Silas Wright Dooley was born in Washington City, D.C., on the 31st of December, 1843. His father, M.T. Dooley, came to this country from Ireland when quite a young man and married Miss E. Hannah a native of Washington. The subject of this sketch received his early education in the public schools of that City, then attended Gonzaga College, a branch of Georgetown College, finishing his education at Villa Nova College just west of Phila., Pa. At the age of eighteen he began work as clerk in a retail drug store and after the war became a clerk in the Quartermaster's Dept. Seeing no other future for him in his native place than clerkship in retail stores or clerking for the government and being ambitious for something higher, he concluded to come west and landed in St. Louis on the 3rd of May, 1868, a complete stranger with only a few dollars in his pocket. Situations were few and applicants very numerous at that time, but after repeated efforts he succeeded in getting a position as clerk in a Title Abstract office, in which occupation he continued until he graduated from the St. Louis Law School in 1871, working during the day and studying at night, although he had passed the examination before the Circuit Court and been admitted to the bar after his first year at the Law School. After graduating he hung out his shingle as a lawyer, doing work as abstracting until he had built up practice sufficient to give him a living and continued in the practice of his profession in St. Louis until he came to Bates County in 1883, it was in St. Louis that he met and married Miss Germaine E. Duclos, six children now living and three dead being the result of that union. About the time of his arrival in St. Louis the movement for the enfranchisment of the Southern sympathizers was assuming proportions and being a democrat he entered into it with his usual energy and enthusiasm, contributing as far as lay in his power to removal of the test oath and other iniquities of the Drake Constitution and at all times while there assisted in the success of his party, giving it his means, time and abilities. Having quite a large and growing family he concluded to seek a smaller place in order to give them more of his personal care and attention. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
DORE, Henry W.
Deer Creek Township - Henry W. Dore, railroad agent, was born in Chickasaw County, Iowa, July 14, 1857, and is a son of C.H. Dore, of Harrisonville, Missouri, who was county clerk of Cass County at one time. Young Dore lived with his parents in Iowa until eight years old, when they removed to Missouri, locating at Wadesburg, Cass County. There they resided for four years, going thence to Harrisonville. Henry was educated in the public schools of that place, and after completing his education he went to East Lynne, where he worked for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad Company. Five weeks later he visited Freeman, Missouri, where he had charge of the office for the same company eighteen months. He then worked for the Missouri Pacific at Harrisonville, Paola, Louisburg, and other places until October 1, 1880, when he took charge of the company business at Adrian. This position he now holds to the satisfaction of all. He is one of the most accommodating and obliging agents on the entire line of this railroad.
Rockville Township - G. Douglass, proprietor of the City Hotel, at Rockville, was born in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, February 16, 1851, and is the seventh of twelve children. His parents were Samuel and Diana (Edgerton) Douglass, natives of Ohio. Gayland lived with his parents until of age, acquiring a good education in the common schools of Indiana. When twenty years old he engaged in farming, and two years later was married December 1, 1873, to Miss Catherine Douley, also of Indiana. In the centennial year he came to Bates County, and securing a farm of 190 acres he resumed farming and stock growing. He usually feeds from seventy to ninety cattle, and has a good farm and a convenient farm residence, built in 1878 at a cost of $1,000. In the year 1882 Mr. Douglas and D.O. Dean completed the City Hotel, at a cost of $8,000, and October 1 the hotel was opened to the public. Mr. Douglass is collector for Rockville Township and is also city marshal; and a member of the Presbyterian Church. He and his wife have two children: James M. and Clark. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DOUGLASS, John H.
Mingo Township - John H. Douglass, farmer, was born in Clay County, Missouri, July 25, 1839. His parents, Jesse and Sarah A. (McCrudy) Douglass, came originally from Kentucky. The former was one of the pioneers of Clay County. John is the eldest of three children. When he was eleven years old the family moved to Bates County, Missouri, and settled on Cove Creek, where he grew to manhood. He remained at home until twenty-four years old, when, on March 9, 1864, he was married to Miss Eliza C. Hutchinson, who was born in Missouri. Soon after this event he went to Henry County and farmed until 1866, then returning to Bates, and here he has since lived. The farm consists of sixty acres and is in section 34. Mr. Douglass is constable and road overseer of this township. He is connected with the I.O.O.F. fraternity. Five children are the fruits of the marriage: Annie Belle, Jesse R., Thomas E., William and Jimmie. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DOWELL, John Emery
The subject of this sketch was born in McDonough County, Ills., forty years ago. When he was four years old his father died, leaving a widow and three sons to fight the stern battles of life, which at times were such as to require effort and great personal sacrifice. His early educational advantages were such afforded by attending school two months in the winter and by close application to study at home during the evening hours, by denying himself the pleasures of social life during his early manhood he acquired the foundation which enabled him to pass the examination into the higher institutions of learning. This he did at the earliest opportunity, and graduated from the Methodist School at LaHarp, Ills. in 1883, with the honors of his class. Immediately after his graduation he joined the mighty army of energetic people who were then going to Dakota Territory, where he was an active figure in the battle incident to life in a new country. In 1884 he was nominated as a candidate for Superintendent of Public Schools of Potter County, Dakota Territory, which he resigned to accept a good position as Teacher in another country. In March, 1884, he associated himself with C.N. VanHosen, now editor of the Springfield Republican, (this state), as editors and publishers of the Potter County Blizzard, (it was just what its name implies). In March, 1886, Mr. Dowell was admitted to the bar, and located at Miller, Hand Co., Dakota. Here he held several positions of trust, and enjoyed the confidence of the people. In the autumn of 1890 he came to this county, locating at Adrian, and bought the Journal at that place, with which he is still connected. In the spring of 1897 he was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, and in the autumn of the same year was elected Mayor of Adrian to fill the vacancy caused by the death of A.J. Satterlee; in the spring of 1898 he was re-elected to that office, and is still acting in that capacity. On October 11th, 1885, the subject of this sketch was united in marriage with Miss Mollie M. Purkey; to this union have been born three children, viz: George B., Lucy V. and John Emery, Jr., all of whom are living. Mr. Dowell is a member of the Crescent Hill Lodge No. 368, A.F. & A.M.; of Adrian Lodge No. 13, I.O.O.F.; he is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
DRENNAN, Francis N.
Deepwater Township - The subject of this sketch owes his nativity to Sangamon County, Illinois, where he was born July 5, 1845. His father came originally from South Carolina, and his mother, whose maiden name was Margaret L. Anderson, was born in Virginia. The youthful days of Francis N. were passed on his father's farm, his primary education being received at the common schools. He afterward attended the State University and obtained a good education. Mr. Drennan was married in his native county, February 8, 1872, to Miss Sarah E. Graham, also of Sangamon County, and a daughter of John Graham. In the following August he moved to Missouri, and located in Bates County, where he purchased land and improved his present farm. His estate embraces 280 acres, all in cultivation, with a substantial dwelling, barn and outbuildings. Mr. Drennan is a thrifty farmer and one of the leading men of his township. He resides on section six. He and his wife have one child, Francis A., born December 28, 1878. Mr. D. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Mrs. Drennan belongs to the Episcopal Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - C.C. Duke, assistant cashier of the Butler National Bank, is a son of James A. and Elizabeth (Pennabaker) Duke, Kentuckians by birth, and was born in Nelson County, Kentucky, June 9, 1844. In 1845 he was brought to Missouri by his parents, who first located in Morgan County, where Elizabeth P. Duke died in 1852. In 1861 James A. Duke moved the family to Barton County, Missouri, and in 1863 to Moniteau County. In 1866 they came to Bates County, where James A. died in 1874. The subject of this sketch was reared on a farm and received an education in the common schools of the different localities where he resided. He was engaged in farming until 1875 when he accepted the position of deputy treasurer under Luther Shobe. After serving as deputy for two terms, in 1866 he was elected to that office, and was re-elected in 1868, discharging his duties with scrupulous care for two terms, and to the satisfaction of the people. Then with a Mr. Tucker he wrote a system of abstracts of Bates County, and embarked in the real estate and abstract business, continuing till August, 1881, when he was appointed to his present position. He is a member of Butler Lodge No. 254, A.F. and A.M., and Miami R.A.C. No. 30. December 31, 1868, Mr. D. was married to Miss Anna Wells, a native of Pettis County, Missouri and a daughter of John P. and Martha (Hughes) Wells, originally from Kentucky. Mr. Duke has one child, Joan. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DUNCAN, William H.
East Boone Township - William H. Duncan was born March 12, 1854, in Stokes County, North Carolina, and is the second son of Charles and Martha J. (Flint) Duncan, who were originally from Stokes County. His father was born April 24, 1824, and his mother March 6, 1826. They were married August 23, 1849, and until 1854 lived in that locality, then coming to Missouri and settling on the line between Cass and Bates Counties. Mr. Duncan, senior, entered a tract of 280 acres on section 1, of East Boone Township, upon which the family now reside. He was killed November 18, 1862, within a half mile of his own door, by five Kansas men who rode up to the house and took him prisoner, and against the appeals of his wife and children, carried him about one-half mile and shot him, where he was found soon after. The only allegation against him was that he had accompanied Price upon his raid to Lexington in the capacity of teamster. He left five children, all of whom are living. Sallie B. born August 27, 1850, married Percy Campbell, and is now living in Rich Hill; Joseph M. born October 2, 1851, married Miss Mary Davis, and is living near the homestead; Jasper, born February 9, 1859, is at home; Nannie A. born May 20, 1861, married George Limpus. William H. Duncan, our subject, is unmarried, and lives on the homestead with his mother. He is one of the leading young men in his section of the county, and his abilites are recognized by his neighbors, who have elected him their township clerk and assessor. This latter position he is now filling. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DUNHAM, John U.
Deer Creek Township - John U. Dunham, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Randolph County, Missouri, September 29, 1836, his parents being Henry and Sarah (Cunningham) Dunham, both natives of Tennessee. John U. was the seventh of ten children. While he was young his parents died, leaving him amongst strangers. He was brought up on a farm in Randolph County and in 1849 removed to Moniteau County where he engaged in farming. This he followed there and in Cooper and Lafayette Counties until 1880, when he came to Bates County. His farm now contains 169 acres all in cultivation and well improved with a good orchard of 300 apple trees. Mr. Dunham handles stock quite extensively and feeds hogs and sheep. He is a member of Altona Lodge, No. 315, A.F. & A.M. February 28, 1858, he married Miss Nancy Hines, a daughter of Walter T. Hines. She was born in Missouri, March 25, 1850. They have six children living: Margaret M., William R., Mary C., Leoma, Walter and G. Alford. They have lost two: Sarah E. and John H. Mr. and Mrs. D. belong to the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DURAND, John B.
Prairie Township - John B. Durand, merchant at Prairie City, was born in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, October 22, 1848, and was the son of Joshua Newberry Durand, a native of Orange County, New York, born April 16, 1816, who, while a boy accompanied his parents to Bradford County, Pennsylvania, where he became a farmer. In 1850, he came with his family to Bates County, Missouri. He enlisted in the Sixtieth Enrolled Missouri Militia, in Captain Newberry's company of Home Guards, during the war, and was killed in 1863. His wife was formerly Betsey Bryan, of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, and they were the parents of six children, four boys and two girls. Of these three ony are living. John B., the eldest son, obtained a common school education, supplemented by an attendance of nine months at the State University at Columbia. After the death of his father, he assumed control of affairs, and when twenty years old embarked in business life for himself. January 20, 1877, he married Miss Anna Short, of St. Clair County, and by this union they have three children, two sons and a daughter: Walter W., Jessie Rosina and Oscar B. Mr. Durand is now engaged in business at Prairie City, and is post-master of the town. His wife also takes charge of the store and the post office to some extent. He is the owner of a farm of 500 acres in section 13, upon which are 4,000 bearing apple trees, an orchard of 300 peach, fifty pear trees, and other fruit. He does quite a business in fruit drying, has a fruit dryer in operation during the apple season, and ships large quantities of this fruit to Philadelphia and other markets. His religious preferences are with the Hard Shell Baptists, while Mrs. Durand is a member of the M.E. Church at Rockville. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
DURRETT, C.H. and J.D.
Charlotte Township - During the colonial period three brothers, ancestors of C.H. and J.D. Durrett, emigrated from England to America. In 1805 the grandfather of the latter named brothers settled in Spottsylvania County, Virginia. He was in the war of 1812. William H. Durrett, their father, was born February 27, 1807. He was married near Charlottesville, in Albermarle County, Virginia, in 1831, and in 1833 removed to the then thinly settled portion of country lying in Lewis County, Missouri, at which time he purchased the land upon which he now lives. There were no settlements north or west at that period, and he was obliged to go sixty miles to a mill. At one time he had to parch corn and grind it in a coffee mill. His family numbered ten children, five boys and five girls. The names of his sons were: William J., O.H., C.H., J.D. and C.D. His daughters were named: E.H., M.E., S.P., J.R. and A.A. All are married but C.H. and A.A. In February, 1870, Messrs. C.H. and J.D. Durrett removed to Bates County and purchased the property which they now occupy, comprising superior land for agricultural purposes. J.D. Durrett was married in October, 1872, to Miss Aza Hickman. They have two children, Mary and Bennie. One is deceased, C.E. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)